Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Angel Podcast. My name is Scott Brady and I'm here with Brian mcvickers from our team, and we have mister Sree with us here. We have Graham Sere and I just met you. Well we've met before. I know that we have because I do remember your face. But we finally got a chance to chat last night at the premiere of Grace Schustler's film that she did with tred Lightley and with the Overland Expo Foundation, and we just got a chance to chat because Brian's like, do you got to talk to this guy? So there's a lot of commonalities that we've got love for sailing, a love for exploration, a love for business. So we're going to dig deep into some of those conversations today. So thanks for being on the podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be here, and I think this is really fun. You know, we're talking about some of the most important stuff in the world, so I'm excited about it. And you have good people too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean this is completely tangentle but also relevant from an overlanding perspective. But you run IGNIK and you guys make these great little fireplaces. I've used them all over the place, and you just come up, came up with a cool like hybrid fireplace slash cooking. What's that one called the mullet.
Speaker 2: Or scullet the light, the mullet, business on top, buld on top, you mullet in the back, party in the back. But it's a you know, it's a it's a skillet with height adjustable fire pit and heating underneath it.
Speaker 3: It's elevated fire pit.
Speaker 2: It's an elevated fire Is this camp on in the snow? You don't want your fire down in the snow. You want to get it up and you want the heat where you can feed.
Speaker 4: You're sitting next to it. The heat radiated straight out. It's it's super cool. I mean, it's an amazing product and a great company. But you're on the podcast because you've lived an incredible life and just in the brief moment that I had to talk to you, by the time I figured out, you had sailed at least one hundred thousand miles. And I'm sure we're to get that number corrected here in a few minutes once I know the scope of it. But you know, you've crossed the Northwest Passage and Brian. The reason why you're on the podcast today is I've been wanting to talk to you forever about your crossing. Graham and I did that together in twenty twenty four. Yep, September August, Yeah, basically all of August.
Speaker 3: It was about a six week trip. I think a little bit less.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think it might. I don't know, I can't remember. So we got on You and I both got on a nor no ma ask. So we got on the boat in No. The boat, so dog Bark is it's a sixty foot it's an old raceboat actually that we converted into an expedition. Expedition is kind of a lofty word for what we do well, and.
Speaker 4: That's as a race boat. It was an open sixty yeah, and it was built for the BOC Challenge, which was a kind of a It was a predecessor of the Vending Globe, which is a famous around the world unsupported NonStop sailing race.
Speaker 5: And was this boat used for that.
Speaker 2: It was, so it yeah, did finish the first one. And so it was built back when there were no iceberg exclusions. So in those days boats ran into icebergs and people died and that was just part of sailing and and so dog Mark was built for that kind of built to go in ice filled waters, and nowadays they build boats a little lighter and a little faster which don't want to hit in So that was built for the nineteen ninety BOC Challenge and the American and Mike Plant actually hit an iceberg and sunk his boat in that race. And that's what caused ice exclusions.
Speaker 1: So when they created an exclusion, they would limit the north latitude.
Speaker 2: So it south flatitude. So basically those around the world races all they go down and they run under the horns. Yeah. Sure, but the lower you go, the more breeze you have, the faster the boats go, and then the more ice there.
Speaker 3: Is about the roaring forties, so that was that.
Speaker 2: Was the thing that was not what our experience was. We had some roaring wind, Yeah, we had. We had some fairly breezy conditions. Yeah, we saw ice, we saw polar bears.
Speaker 3: We had the full experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was telling somebody about I was here at the expo. I was talking about the icebreaker that we met, and this was a guy who's like, ah, yeah, the Northwest passage. They take cruise ships through that now, and I'm like, yep, they do. And there are these icebreakers that are stationed in places, and the icebreaker will punch a hole for the oil tanker or the cruise ship from whatever. You don't usually do that for the rest of us.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: We had pretty special treatment, royal treatment, because we were there were three there's a mom and two cubs with a kill on the ice there, and so we were we were a couple of miles from the icebreaker. But he was kind of watching the bears too. He's up on this high conning tower and so I'm talking to him on the radio about you know, the bears in our experience and yeah, I bet you see those bears a lot better from up there than we do. And then I bet you can see how far the ice flow goes that way, and he's like, yeah, it goes that way a long ways. You'll be you'll be driving for a while.
Speaker 4: So we were hunting up and down the ice float trying to find a path through it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hard to with a sailboat. I mean, we don't break ice. I mean we can, we can sort of move it around super heavy, but he so there, you know, it's a bunch of young guys on a bunch of Coasti's on a on a on an Arctic vacation tour. It's probably not here, but they called me back and they're like, you know, we got to probably make a hole here. We've got a chip coming through pretty soon anyway. Yeah, you want to take a kind of a run through with us, good training drive for And I'm like, beats the hell out of going north twenty miles. Sure, let's do this. And so these are big red ships that he says, Oh, and by the way, we break ice at nine knots he which is faster than most sailboats can go period. Yeah, and we'll do the best we can. We got a fast boat, and so he did a big circle around. We locked in behind him. He said, get as close as you can, and we went. He went through the ice as fast as he could. We went behind him as fast as we could. But so what's not well known. I didn't know that, you know, the ice breakers break the ice. The ice probably is starting to close up. But that ice that he breaks has to go someplace. Yes, some of it goes down under his boat, some of it comes shooting back up and so it was a slalom course in there, sort of a high speed nerve wracking. We did hit ice a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Small, small, but yeah.
Speaker 5: And I'd say that is this an aluminum boat?
Speaker 3: No, it's fiberglass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically really interesting part of it is so I'm up on the bow calling filming. I'm film and everything right, and I look back and Graham is like white knuckled up totally.
Speaker 2: Kind of.
Speaker 4: Think it shouldn't be that hard. We're just following another boat that just cleared a path. But what it was we were in their prop wash and so you were trying everything you could just to keep.
Speaker 2: The boat jump and ice is coming at us.
Speaker 3: And so underwater the boat's just getting thrashed back and.
Speaker 2: It was pretty It was fun. I mean, in hindsight, that was one of those experiences that not paining people get to do that.
Speaker 1: I remember when we were in southern Greenland, when we were getting ready to drop the Arctic trucks to cross the island, we used an icebreaker. We couldn't have gotten the landing craft. The landing craft is very suitable and that was carrying yes, exactly, so the icebreaker was busting a path with the landing craft to get up to this shelf of ice. I mean it was so thick at one point that the icebreaker can't get through it. But that's where you want to drop the truck because you can drive on it because it's so thick. What he does, We go amazing experience.
Speaker 3: Neat and we got to see a lot of polar bears up close that were walking around.
Speaker 2: Brand and I got chased. Chased, we walked backwards rapidly.
Speaker 3: It was the fastest speed walking backwards in reverse. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's so many parallels between overlanding and blue water sailing or expedition sailing. I mean, you have a land cruiser, you have a love for vehicle based travel as well. But what I found in my very limited, compared to YouTube sailing experience is that it's like overlanding, but more difficult because you can't pull over things. When things are really bad, you're in it until it's over. Whereas you know you have a vehicle mechanical problem, you can get it towed over to a little pull out and you can come up with a plan like you're in it until it's over one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Risk the risk factors a lot higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, particularly if you are it's like overlanding, and the more interesting the places you go, the more prepared you need to be to solve whatever it is that happens.
Speaker 4: We went to quite a few areas up there that there just weren't other people. Yeah, and you wouldn't see anybody for a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, especially after you leave tuck t yuktuk. There's just not much up there. Yeah until what resolute.
Speaker 2: Definitely, So Cambridge Bay is in there in that sort of span. Cambridge Bay is probably the only place we saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say that.
Speaker 4: I think one of the most remote areas that from a feeling of remoteness was where the Hudson Bay Company station was and getting through that cut was the name of that cut, oh old.
Speaker 3: So there's a cut.
Speaker 6: It's about a mile wide and about fifteen miles long, and it's Scott's the south end of Somerset Island, and it's got a fourteen knock current go either way. Sure, sure you know when it's flowing and it goes both ways.
Speaker 5: And how long is it just to get through it?
Speaker 4: It's if you're doing it at slack, I mean maybe an hour okay, two hours, you could end up really yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's a lot of like bad stories, yeah, boats sinking there.
Speaker 2: I have to tell the So I've done a couple of trips up into the Arctic, and and so the first time I went up there in that same bellat straight, straight, straight old, get brain turned on eventually. So the first time I was there, straight was pretty packed with ice, more ice than we saw in it. And one hard aluminum boat, modern French design boat was squeezed by the ice.
Speaker 3: And popped like a cork.
Speaker 2: And so and a woman on that boat had to get out and spent I think they spent twenty four hours on the ice on an ice flow, yeah, on an ice floe, on moving ice. And then by moving it's it's moving, yeah, fourteen current. Yeah, And so they had to wait for They said, it's either the polar bears or the coast guard. Somebody's going to get us. And the helicopter got them first. So it's pretty pretty interesting, terrifying story.
Speaker 5: And that was.
Speaker 2: I was listening to it on the radio thinking, oh my goodness, I was at the time. I was there with my family, Yeah, and I'm thinking what am I doing I've got ice all around me too. We were, we were plugged in by ice at that point. But listening to this on the radio was one of those things that you know, makes you realize that the consequences are legitimate.
Speaker 5: In that point.
Speaker 1: I remember, Brian you mentioned a similar story, because I didn't remember you telling me that one. But yeah, there was another boat that was super strong and it got popped up out of the ice.
Speaker 3: The same location.
Speaker 4: This was maybe four days before we went through the Bellet Straight, and it's on the This happened on the east end of the Bellet Straight near the Hudson Bay Trading Post, and in that area there's quite a few big rock outcroppings that break the surface, and then there's a lot of whirlpools as well. And so the story that we heard from the group that had gone through before us, they were coming the other way from east to west. A boat got was there, following one another. The last boat got pinned between two ice flows, popped up out of the water onto its side onto an ice floe spun around three sixty degrees.
Speaker 3: Everybody had to be to hold on for dear sixty. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Big aluminum, big strong aluminum, expensive.
Speaker 4: So the beautiful boat they spin around because now the ice thing is trapped in a whirlpool. And then the ice flow that they were on cracked in half and parted. Yeah, they plopped back in the water and kept on going.
Speaker 5: Give me out of it.
Speaker 3: We never really got anything close to that.
Speaker 2: I can just imagine that. Oh my goodness, lets you go.
Speaker 1: Well, and what you told me last night that I found was so fascinating. You just alluded to it. But this is that was your successful crossing of the Northwest Passage with Brian a few years ago. Was your second time through, because the first time you were there with your family and you made it about halfway, right, Yeah, not quite halfway.
Speaker 2: I mean, it depends on where you measure from. But we had really terrible ice year that that particular year, and a lot of weather, a lot of wind. So the wind driven ice basically plugged the passage and for all. But I think one sailboat got through. Yeah, and they got through really early actually the other direction, coming towards Alaska. The rest of us were stuck. And we were stuck in the ice for a long time, and eventually the Canadian Coast Guard called us and said, hey, guys, it's time to go home. We're leaving. The icebreakers are leaving. If you would like, if you and your family would like to stay right where you are, freeze in for the winner.
Speaker 3: You can do that, and there are people that do.
Speaker 2: But we're going home and you should too. And I looked at my daughters and my wife and they're like the best part. Kind of the inspiration from all that was so you deal with failure, right, this is you know, we've spent a lot of money and a lot of time and kind of the family dream to do this thing, and we're not going to make it. So there were tears, but my oldest daughter eventually turned to me and said, you know, Dad, it's been reading too many sailing books. But the whalers after their whaling season, when it begins to freeze up here, whalers, they all go to Lahina. Can we go to Lahina? I have a pretty fast sailboat, so I said, yeah, we can go to Lahina. And so Dutch Harbor to Lahina in dog barks about ten days wow. And so we got down to Dutch Harbor, loaded up, put the tuna jigs out and headed for Lahina. And behind us changed quite a bit in that in the last year. That was prior to all of the fires there. But boy, what a wonderful welcome after being in the ice. You know, they were so nice to us and family was ecstatic to get there.
Speaker 1: And then I think you had mentioned that you guys decided then to kind of sail more in the South Pacific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, so we actually went down so from Hawaii, and Hawaii's wonderful place. It's not it's a difficult place to cruise, like if you want to if I think of cruising on a sailboat like overlanding, there are places where it's really easy and the terrain is right essentially, you know why is hard, big mountains, the wind in those channels is challenging. So some of the windiest sailing we did crossing the between Maui and the Big Island. And so we did did some cruising there and my family said, well, let's go to the Marquessas. And because for my honeymoon, my wife said, how about we sail to Hong Kong for our honeymoon. Different boat halber Grassy. We're having a halber Grassy story, and so my kids had I mean I've got tattoos from the Marquesas, and it's actually the only place I will let people put needles in my body in the Marquesses. But it's it was one of those experiences that I wanted to share with them, and so we're able to go down go we did the Marquesas. The to motives are amazing cruising and all of a sudden and you can go from being in the Arctic and there's a kind of blue water in the Arctic that is really striking. Where you guys went swimming with all those jellyfish up there. Yeah, that was I mean it's almost glacial blue. And then to go to the Tuamoto and have this beautiful blue green experience is just amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my kids have had they had to put up with a lot of torture, but at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, it's interesting to again come back to those parallels between blue water expedition, sailing and overlanding. But you know, like overlanding would be the classic routes would be like the Silk Road or the length of Africa or crossing Antarctica, these these very classic uberland routes, and sailing has similar ones. I mean the ones that come to mind for me is like one of the great prizes that remains is the Northwest Past. It's getting a little bit easier to do that, but it's only been you know, other than overwintering, it's only been in the last decade or so that people are regularly attempting to cross the Northwest Passage in privately owned sailboats or other privately owned boats, even motor yachts. So it's fairly recent that's been even feasible to do. And then the other one that you and I talked about last night, which is Point Nemo, which is something that well, yeah, and it to me, it's it's on my bust bucket list, but it's only because I'm so ignorant of what that exactly means. You know, I've looked at it on the map, and I've I've cruised around on Google Earth, and I'm like, that is really really far from land in any direction.
Speaker 4: So for the for the listener and the viewer, Point Nemo is it is the most remote point on the planet.
Speaker 1: The furthest away from furthest away.
Speaker 4: From land, and there's nothing there, so there's no actual It's a point on a map it's not it's not an island, it's not a point of land. It is just to point on the map that is the furthest way from anything else.
Speaker 1: It's so far from anything else that that is where the International Space Agencies drop all their trash, like the like all of all the secrets, we're not going to get invested here, all of the all of the yeah, all of the satellites. That's where they plan to bring the International Space Station out of a little bit. So I think you probably want to time it to make sure either.
Speaker 3: That you're there. That could be kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, either you want to make sure you're there on that day or you want to make sure that you're not a little nimble though I don't know. Yeah, I think that would all just come down to chance. But that would be pretty neat to see the space station come out of the come out of.
Speaker 4: The I think the rarity of some of these achievements, like the Northwest Passage is so dog bark was when we did that, it was number two hundred and ninety six something like that. As far as the number of private trips that had gone through and some of those what it's not two hundred ninety six boats. It was two hundred ninety six trips. Because there's yeah, we met a few people who had done that, done it five or six times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and very few of those are It's a very small circle of people who are doing that regularly.
Speaker 5: And then there's a crossed an Arctica. I mean, that's very rare.
Speaker 2: It's pretty similar that. I think, you know the differences up there. Change is happening at a rate that I think it's in the press all the time. You know, we're Canada in particular, is really investing in that area. I think it's going to be.
Speaker 6: An important geopolitical.
Speaker 2: Conversation for all of us.
Speaker 5: First, it will ultimately be a very viable commercial route.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that has been the goal. It's right now it is not a very viable commercial route, but unless you have a submarine, in which case it's a fine.
Speaker 4: We went into one of the Inuit villages that we visited and we're talking to some locals and he looked at me really serious, and he kind of whispered and he said.
Speaker 3: Did you see any submarines?
Speaker 4: Like, we didn't see any submarines, because there can like a lot of folks will see stuff up there that kind of shows up and then disappears. There's a lot of traffic that nobody really knows about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, and that you know, those passages count too, but we don't know very much about.
Speaker 4: I think a combination of the global weather opening that up and changing the ice flows in the seasons, and then I think also shared knowledge. It's a lot easier for people to use the Internet in different modes of communication, to be able to share how to do it and the way.
Speaker 2: I mean it's some of the same starlink is Starlink enabled all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of staring the entire time.
Speaker 2: The first time I went up there, we were not you know, we were using a radium based systems Iridium Go basically you know that sort of hunt and peck emails, glorified texting by and startling. Four of us could basically be talking to work or the coast Guard or whoever at the same time.
Speaker 4: And we had we had immediate access to government issued in scientific ice charts, right, so they're really racking down ice.
Speaker 2: Load pictures of ice every twelve hours or so.
Speaker 4: And then we could overlay wind patterns on top of those to predict where the Ice was going to move to Yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: So it was really the tech has changed the game for sure.
Speaker 5: If you think about it.
Speaker 1: Just two years before that, when you and I crossed the Pacific, Brian, we didn't have starlink, No, we had we had very expensive like it was like eight thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was AKVH GIMBALEDKVH satellite ball that was in like this egg on the bottom back of the boat.
Speaker 7: Not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal, the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, And then you help us to maintain that independent employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out to I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding One oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast had been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, So you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one on one. And thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 4: As eight grand a month, yes, right, and when you got when you got up into the northern latitudes, the further north you got, the less coverage you had because the satellite for so low in orbit.
Speaker 1: And plus combined with the heel of the boat. Yeah, I remember that was one of the challenges. The satellite could only get heel over, it could only heal over so far before it lost connection.
Speaker 4: Right, But starlink now makes complete. So we used starlink. We used they were Canadian issued ice chart.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Canadians really do a nice job.
Speaker 4: And then we used predict wind quite a bit for the wind patterns for you, as I use that for Lake Roosevelt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 2: The technology. I mean, these are shared technologies that I think, you know, it's not just for sailors or for boaters. I think that I use Windy as another app. I mean, if you were that's the one that Windy is outstanding. It's outstanding when you want to see pre SIP moving across an area, you know, the satellite radar is all there, and to have all that on your phone in real time, it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We had I think we had two or three garment in reaches on there, and we had another Iridium system that was still on the boat that was still doing I was pinging somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually that was the tracker. So the rideom Go provided the tracking data for predict whens so that you could see in real time where a dog bark was as we were moving across. Yeah, that's a pretty good use of that kind of low bandwidth technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we definitely you know, I think trips like that into those remote areas on a sailboat, you really start to appreciate redundancies. And we experience that in overlanding. You have a couple of different systems that might back things up. You've got some spares, you've got some emergency kits. But I'll remember that we so dog Bark has two autopilot systems, and when you're doing a trip like that, the autopilot becomes another very valuable crew member. And we had a few experiences with one system that was getting very confused because of the magnetic goodness. Yeah, the magnetic discrepancies up in those high latitudes.
Speaker 2: Anybody who talks about the magnetic North Pole as a as a fixed place, it hasn't been there, and it moves and there is interference in the area, and you can quite literally watch your compass around like this and you think, I don't think we're at the North Pole.
Speaker 4: I think the first time we realized that the boat actually did a three sixty wow, like we were like, what is it? Very very slowly, but we realized that we're pointing the wrong direction, and it did a full circle all on.
Speaker 2: Its own, and and so magnetic compasses are good for a lot of things, a lot of places, but maybe not there.
Speaker 4: So we were able to switch from you switch from one system to the other while you recalibrate the first one, switch back and forth. It was just the redundancies and a lot of the spare party.
Speaker 5: You basically have to input the declination from.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, you can do that manually with the older autopilot. The newer one wants you to drive around in circles until it figures.
Speaker 3: It all out.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, you know, the poll is moving, and so it had a heck of a time trying to auto calibrate. I think we kind of had to force it eventually we did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk a little bit about your experience adventuring in the world of overland.
Speaker 5: So you tell us about the lank Is you've got.
Speaker 2: So I have I have an old So it's a it's a two thousand and six land cruiser, so it's not that old, but it's not that new either, yep.
Speaker 5: And it is vehicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're great, and it's you know, it's sort of a workhourse. So I have that on a first gen tundra that is the Ignick truck that you know has the roof tops and desk boxes, and basically we drive that truck. One of the perks I'm a little pump for Ignick here, but one of the perks of working for Ignick is that somebody has to drive that truck to these shows, which is an opportunity to have a week long camping experience. And so we we do, you know, the five overland shows we do in the wintertime. We do like snow on snow stuff, and so we spend you know, upwards of thirty days a year sleeping in in the truck. Yes, actually sometimes on asphalt down here. At least you guys have gus under this ring.
Speaker 5: Not so much.
Speaker 2: Camp is something exactly.
Speaker 3: Not my fault.
Speaker 2: Find me a holiday, but but yeah, we The ability to work in an environment that you truly enjoy is something that I did not learn right away in life. I've worked, I've done all kinds of stupid things professionally, but but working in the space makes the work fun. And so you know, we we laugh about who's yeah, I gotta drive the truck down to flag Staff. Know, we were fighting over who gets down there.
Speaker 1: Because you guys are based out of the Pacific Cambridge Island, so that is that's a beautiful the world.
Speaker 2: We're happy to be there. Yeah, but you know we kind of travel all over the west. Yeah, we don't drive to the East show so that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did a few years and there's nothing wrong with Overland Expo East. But for whatever reason, Brian and I are cursed with weather, Like the weather.
Speaker 3: Was so the hurricane show.
Speaker 1: It was so bad for us one year that parked cars like with nobody in them. We're sliding down the hill at and like piling up at the bottom of the hill. I was like, you know, maybe the universe is telling me that this isn't the show.
Speaker 3: There were three or four years in a row they they had.
Speaker 5: I'm all about it.
Speaker 4: There are a hurricane a few years in a row that just we get right on the edge of the cell and it just saturated everything.
Speaker 2: It was such a beautiful place. It is and we actually all these shows have interesting opportunities and challenges, right, you know this one is it's glorious on the market here. I think So Cal Market is the most stoked overland. They really are, and they're crazy here.
Speaker 3: You got a lot of folks coming right out of La this whole area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm also seeing just a very different attitude, like people are here just to have fun for the day, Whereas I think that the folks that are making the trip the flag Staff, they're a little bit more deeply committed, they're mate and I think that there's a little bit more strongly opinionated as well. It's like, whereas these southern California folks are like, I'm out here with my kids for the day.
Speaker 5: I love my Tacoma, Like this, what are you cooking?
Speaker 1: I'm seeing a really a really great attitude out of the people that are attending this show, which I think is really.
Speaker 2: Neat and we need more of that. I mean, it is you know, it is work, and you know we talked about consequences earlier, but it should also be fun.
Speaker 5: It should be fun.
Speaker 2: So seeing these people here have fun, They're whooping and hollering out there right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is definitely a family environment.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing tons of which is you know, you don't have an industry. You don't have a business if you don't have young people involved with it, if you don't see kids. We can see a lot of families here, which I think is really encouraging. Well, i'd love to I'd love to circle a little bit into some of your professional experience, because you mentioned to me last night that you would you've sold three businesses, which when we were talking earlier before we started to hit the record button, it's only four percent of business owners that get to a successful exit. They all exit in one way or yet it's not a successful Yeah, it's not a successful exit. It's you know that they've had they got to shut their business down, or they they've gotten into so much debt that they can't carry the load anymore, or they time out physically. I've heard that the number one reason why businesses fail is because the founder runs out of energy.
Speaker 5: They literally they.
Speaker 1: Wake up one day and they say that the prospects of going forward feel more daunting than the prospect of failure. So I would love to hear a little bit from you about, like, what what are the things that you learned in three successful exits, which has got to be in the point zero zero zero kind of time range of success.
Speaker 2: So I truly think that being an entrepreneur is it's one of the hardest things that anybody can choose, and I think a lot of people, all of us, actually made those choices without knowing what we were getting into. There is a leap of faith that is required to do this, and that blissful ignorance allows you to say, I got this right. And I think that you know, the entrepreneurial process is the is going from I got this to and not knowing how to when you land. In order to stick the landing, you've got to you've got to be able to take the how and build it into a business sure, so that it isn't us doing all of the work. The processes have to be built out. But I think that so what you said about entrepreneurs who bonk, essentially who run out of energy for the job, it really resonates with me because the middle of the night, you can't get to sleep, How are we going to make payroll? How are we gonna How am I going to survive this? I don't know. Pick up recent catastrophe COVID or supply chain disruptions or terriff impacts, whatever it is, all of those things can be totally terrifying. And my attitude is we'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: A lot of resilience.
Speaker 2: Resilience and the blissful ignorance. Confidence also belief in your people that you know it's not I got this, but there's some we to that. But I think that at the end of the day, it comes down to.
Speaker 5: Persistence and persist today.
Speaker 2: Persistence is I'm not gonna quit today. I'm not going to bulk today, and I don't have the answers. You know, being honest with yourself that not having the answers doesn't mean the show is over. It just means we're gonna We're gonna have to keep trying stuff and maybe we're gonna fail, fail quickly, and don't let the mistakes that we all make sink the boat.
Speaker 3: Well, And when you say not fail, not all failures the end.
Speaker 2: Of the day, right, not of fact, it allows for Frankly, bankruptcy is not the end of the day. There are I mean, you can recover from almost anything if you are dumb enough, tough enough, stubborn enough, brilliant enough, or lucky enough.
Speaker 1: I think that those handfuls a definitely except for the brilliant, I definitely had luck and dumb enough.
Speaker 2: And if those things, I don't think there's any secret sauce. Persistence is the word that I use to describe, you know, the willingness kind of not to give up, and not not so much not to give up, but to keep trying to find solutions. That for me, it's the belief that sooner or later somebody's going to solve this problem. Why not me, you know? And I think that is and luck, you know, luck, I mean, there's there is no I would love to say that, you know, it's it's brilliant, but it's kind of the other four things that that actually get you through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think about it.
Speaker 1: Even in this industry that there there's been a lot of people that were way smarter than me, right, that didn't make it right.
Speaker 5: And I think a lot of.
Speaker 1: Times, I mean I can think back so many times where I was like, I don't know how we're going to make it, and then Brian would call me up and he'd be like, Scotty, I just got this contrast, and it's just like out of nowhere, we were saved for another day, and it just gave us. It gave us enough momentum to be able to build a reputation and to be able to deliver on our vision and it allowed us to survive. And I know that you know, it's very We've talked about that, you and I have where like it's very easy to have that survivorship bias of like I made all these great decisions. I'm not so convinced of that, especially for myself. I think that I had great people. I had people that I trusted, that I worked with, that we all worked on the same level I was. I never felt like I was the guy in charge because I wanted everybody to be able to make decisions without me because I was gone a lot, I traveled a lot. So I think that we had timing on our side. I think we had a lot of luck on our side. And I think we had just enough time to build a reputation that people wanted to work with us, and it got us through it.
Speaker 5: But it's very tough. It's very tough.
Speaker 2: Well, so the quality I've been a fan of Overland Journal might kind of since the first one was put in my hands. It was beautiful, world class work. So that's that's something too. I mean, you have to you have to have you have to have something that you are uniquely good at. Yeah, and you guys made me come to my cabin on Mount Rain. Hear there are old episodes, you know, sitting next to the toilet.
Speaker 3: Sorry, there there however, and it is.
Speaker 2: That inspiration is still there for me, and that's pretty cool, you know. I think in my case it's less about that sort of artistic brilliant. For me, it was there are all of these problems, and you know we our products are not perfect. We make mistakes, but we also fix mistakes. Right, So if making a mistake once it's pretty easy to do, pretty pretty normal, that's that's life people. But your ability to convert that into learning and to use that learning to move forward, I think, you know that's the ignect secrets of us. You know, we're not We are here to fix stuff that bothers us about, like products should don't need to necessarily create waste. And if we can make products that are a little more sustainable, and each product, but each generation becomes a little more sustainable, that's progress. And I think that product companies need to be able to make progress if they're going to stay in business.
Speaker 1: And so for us, that's one thing I would say that you did a great job of, too, is that you identified where's the greatest opportunity in this area of discipline which you guys have, which is around heating or swarming people around a campfire and also preparing food. It's very common thing that everybody does when they go camping, but it's there's more and more fire restrictions than every before. So if you were to go into business to say, hey, I'm going to make a really beautiful camping fire tray for wood fires, I don't know if that's a good idea. It's going to get harder and harder to sell it.
Speaker 2: That would be something you might want to learn from. Right, you might say, huh, so sparks are not a good idea. How do we do this without sparks? How do we do this with a non off switch? How do we The hardest problems can be broken down into relatively simple things, and you don't have to solve every problem all the way all at once. It's okay to say this is better than you know what went before, and I think you know if you can, Rather than like my wife is a perfectionist, I am.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm about progress. Like let us just let us make a difference a little bit out of time, rather than trying to solve the world's problems at.
Speaker 4: Once, you are also filling a void and solving problems or filling a need that maybe not everybody realizes is there. Right, So Overland Journal has always been very unique offering.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: There was never anything like it before, and there's other really truly nothing still like it. Yeah, and you know with Ignick, you have talked to me before about this a pretty significant passion about green gas bottles. Yeah, the disposable green bottles that everybody and so you guys took that as a bit of a challenge and said, we're going to find a.
Speaker 5: Solution for that to reuse them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, to eliminate the need for them, yea, to have a reusable solution. And you know, honestly, if I could have replaced green bottles with something like today, we make a one pound refillable cylinder that is essentially a one for one replacement for the green bottle, and that's called the tap rack. But we didn't. We came out of the Arctic the first time in twenty eighteen and started Ignick. It's taken us that long to get to a solution, but our first solution was, let's get a refillable propane tank that is small enough and portable enough and has a handle and maybe hoses in a afters that you can use it to do the work of a green bottle and refill it easily. That we called the gas growler. That was the sort of the first thing, but for us, that was a perfect example of this is better than those things that I don't still don't know how to throw away. It's got its limitations. And then we eventually got to the tap wreck, which is a sort of a take these four one pound bottles to the service station, put propane in them. Here's my three dollars, let's go. You know, it's now a much more convenient solution than trying to shrink a barbecue propane tank down to a portable size.
Speaker 3: And coming out of the Arctic. The first time, it was the handwarmers.
Speaker 2: Well, the hand warmers. There was a whaling camp that I can't tell anybody about, but I can't shut up about. We're at a whaling camp and they were living in the whalers. We're living in shipping containers, and they were heating the shipping containers with those little screw on catalytic eaters screw onto one pound bottles and I walked into that shipping container and I was like, oh my goodness. And you know there obviously it takes a lot of one pound bottles to heat a shipping container. And you know, we show up, we've got these aluminum lightweight refillable or composite lightweight refillable tanks, and I would just why. And it comes down to awareness, right, it's not I think many people don't know that propane tanks come in almost any size.
Speaker 5: You want.
Speaker 2: Now, buy the tank with the specs that you need, buy any nick tank, buy another whatever, it doesn't matter, but buy one that's right for your needs, and then refill it rather than.
Speaker 3: Try to access access.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hear that all the time now that there are so many good refillable solutions. I ask people, well, so why are you still using green bottles? And they're like, you know, for me, it's one hundred miles to get to anywhere that I can get a propane And I was just like, well, you need a bigger propane tank, right, sure, yeah, that's that's again that's a solvable problem.
Speaker 4: But along with the businesses that you've been involved in, you also seem to be quite a like almost on an engineering side.
Speaker 3: You're a product designer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember we were on dog Bark.
Speaker 4: And I and you've got we've got the Christmas tree of headlamps, right, so it's a vertical pull and all these headlamps.
Speaker 3: Strapped to it.
Speaker 4: And I grab a headlamp and I was like, oh, I've got the same one at home. And I said I really like this one. And you kind of chimed in and said yeah, but it's got this problem.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I don't know. It works pretty well, and he goes, no, I designed it. I know all about the problems.
Speaker 2: Joking back camp being headlamp designer. There a bunch of closet headlamp designers running around, so yes, we did do I did a bunch of lighting design I actually my background's weird. I graduated from school and I moved to Taiwan. I worked in electronics.
Speaker 5: Mean, incredible, how long did you live there?
Speaker 2: I lived in Taiwan, So I worked for a Taiwanese multinationals. I lived in Taiwan for four years. But I also we had a factory in Thailand. So I mean getting paid to work in you know, amazing places is the gig. I learned that at like twenty three. You mean, you're paying me to be to work in Thailand, let's do this?
Speaker 5: Amazing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I did that. I did that until the mid nineties. I moved back because of the woman that I am currently married to. Amazing, but I did. I did a good stint in Asia.
Speaker 3: And how many languages are you up to?
Speaker 5: So I speak?
Speaker 2: I speak Chinese pretty fluently.
Speaker 5: That that's pretty useful.
Speaker 2: And I can swear in a couple more languages.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: No. I think that having the ability to live abroad and to experience cultures is another one of those things that I think transforms humans. And I you know, I'm preaching to the crowd obviously, but you know, if we could get you know, our kids to travel more, and that's about the best thing that we could do to make better humans because they have it. It makes them independent, it makes them competent, and it gives them It gives them a sort of awareness that our perspectives aren't People don't necessarily may look different, they may speak differently, but but you know, they've also got really different problems in some of the other places. So you go to the Arctic and they are humans that are really worthy of respect. Yes, they they live their life. Challenges are real life challenges, and you know it gives you context when you know, I can't connect my phone to the internet. That's not a life challenge.
Speaker 4: You come back from traveling to some areas like that, and it's what you thought were problems before you left art in.
Speaker 2: Significant it really you know, it's reassuring to me come back and how are we going to make payroll? We'll figure that out. And you know we do not have polar bears in the backyard.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: We can let our kids go and play in the backyard, so it's different.
Speaker 1: One of the things I wanted to ask you about, Graham is you know you've done how many hundreds of thousands of miles have you sailed around the world.
Speaker 5: Let's get a number.
Speaker 2: I don't let's say more than one hundred. Brian was asking me, so I it's probably more than that. So I my dad was a commercial fisherman. I did thirteen or fourteen seasons, you know, on fishing boats, and those miles are hard to count. But we're kind of running from California to Alaska. The months on the water so you can months on the water every year. So I probably did forty or fifty thousand miles as you know, as a kid, as a young adult, and then I got into sailboats and started racing sail boats. I've done seven, you know, sort of Hawaii trips from either Alaska down to Hawaii or a bunch of racing from mostly from California and Washington.
Speaker 5: And that boat that you have is meant for that.
Speaker 1: In fact, yea, if I remember, that boat has won the trans Pact several times, right.
Speaker 2: I think three times? Three times. Yeah, So it's uh, the boat's fast. But I've done it on a bunch of other boats. I've done on really modern race carbon fiber raceboats.
Speaker 3: Some of the listeners might know more than we think.
Speaker 7: So it's.
Speaker 2: A It is a carbon fiber rocket ship. Everything on it is carbon and they are capable of insane speeds really some of the funnest things that ever. It doesn't foil, but it planes like crazy. So you know you're you're sailing down wind that twenty five twenty five not plus top speed on twenty twenty eight dog barks top speed twenty eight twenty nine knots. You know, these boats when they're set up to go down when they fly, but from a living experience, what you have here is so much more comfortable. So you're in this carbon fiber tunnel, and there are fourteen of us in this carbon fiber tunnel. We have bunks that are this wide carbon tubing, and you get into your sort of pipe berth. You ratchet the pipe berd up so you can't fall out because the boat is flying through the air and jumping off waves, and so you squish yourself on the high side of the boat against the wall as tight as you can, and you attempt to sleep for four hours before you get up and do it again. And so use headlamps twenty four hours a day because there's no light down there whatsoever. It's a really different people do that strange things for.
Speaker 3: Fun, doing it for fun.
Speaker 1: It's all for fun, but how much learning comes out of racing that they can then experien in regular sales well.
Speaker 2: And the things we do with Dynama and you know that even carbon all that you know that comes from the Bleeding Edge, which is the TP fIF two fleet. Yeah, and the Spectra and you know all of the high end ultra light backpacks all of that tech.
Speaker 3: We used to work with. Was it Viking. We used to work with a recovery.
Speaker 4: Equipment company, all Icelandic Guys Icelandic fishing equipment. They were all fishermen, and so they were taking a lot of the rigging that they were using on the fishing boats and realized they could just recover vehicles with it because it was so.
Speaker 2: Strong, right, And I think that, you know, that's wonderful. I mean, there's so many places that there's cross pollination.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even the soft shackle was on sailboats before it ever came into the vehicle recovery.
Speaker 1: And you know one of those pulley blocks that are used for recovery now. One of the things that I wanted to ask with all of those years of working in teams on sail boats and are high stress conditions crossing oceans with your own family, which is a totally different experience from a different a crew from a different Let's share with the listener some of the things that you've learned through that, Like how has that changed you as a person? Like how how is Graham different today after all of that learning than thirty years ago?
Speaker 2: So I think, you know, I have more appreciation for what humans are capable of. It is I mean, and small children are their amazing clay for creativity. They become, you know, the most interesting people in the world very quickly if they are truly challenged. Yeah, I am about as far from being a helicopter parent as you can. I'm a parachute parent, like strap them in, check them, tell me how, you're probably gonna make it to the ground sooner or later. But I believe that we learn by doing, and to some degree we learn by failing, and kids learn so much faster than we do as adults that it's a crying shame that we aren't torching our children more because there's so much learning opportunity there now. I really believe that people have to get out and have adventures and become uncomfortable, find their comfort zones, stretch their comfort zones, and I just think that their lives will be so much richer if they can do that. And my threshold for pain is different than other people. I think you can. I think the willingness to go out there and try stuff that maybe you don't understand and learn a little bit as you do. That it's wonderful and sailors are this group of people who are dreamers. And you know, the ability to execute on a dream is an amazing thing. That's how adventures happen, right, That's how expeditions succeed. Is you have to be crazy enough to dream something big, and then you have to be stubborn enough, persistent enough to execute on that dream. And that's how that's how great adventures have some bad ones too.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 1: And it comes down to the realization that if we don't stretch ourselves, if we don't test ourselves on a regular basis, we can completely normalize to a fraction of our potential potential. So it's not just about having a big idea or a big dream. We've got to build ourselves up to that. In addition to having a big dream of driving around the world, or sailing around the world, or sailing in the Northwest Passage or whatever. I mean, Brian dreamt about doing that for as long as I've known him. Yeah, as long as I have twenty years I've known Brian. He is that has been a dream of his to cross the Northwest Passage. Yeah, and he kept himself tuned up, kept himself he was pushing himself, crossing the Pacific, living for years on his sailboat with his wife Amy, and it put him in.
Speaker 5: A position that he could do it. And that's right. Yeah, And so it's it's not just.
Speaker 1: About having a big dream, although those are very important. That's fuel, that's like gets things going. But you've got to have the ability to do it.
Speaker 5: You got to keep pushing yourself, learning new things, building your skills, building relationships with others.
Speaker 4: That's part of it, a big part of it, right, And being able to share those dreams, even to voice it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We met in the basement of the Sans Convention Center during shot show and I think we had written an article about Ignick and we were chit chatting and somehow we started talking about boats and sailing and I said Northwest Passage and he was like, wait what he said, Northwest Passage, And before you know it, it happened. In fact, I remember remember getting onto the boat because I had not met anybody else on the crew except for Graham, and I got on the boat and he Graham wasn't there yet. He kind of came in the next day and I I'm received by half the crew that was already there and they kind of got a little bit of the grilling, right, They're like, so, who are you and what do you mean You guys met that a trade show. You're now on this boat doing this thing, and and it you know, what a great crew, what a really flexible, friendly, welcoming group of people and all incredibly skilled and talented. And that's part of the reason we had such a great trip. But you know, that's how those things come about.
Speaker 2: But the ability to communicate clearly and forde relationships makes magic happen. And I think that for us, we were just we had similar dreams and you have to be able to arrange your life in a way that allows you to go take August except I mean the adventures. The adventures are hard and you have to be able to prioritize. You kind of have to train your family that this is who I am and you know we're going to have these strange adventures from time to time, and.
Speaker 3: Well, the support of the family goes along.
Speaker 2: It's impossible to I mean, it's not impossible to do these things alone.
Speaker 5: But boy, it's a lot less joyful, I think, right.
Speaker 2: And having you know someone who in the sailing world we call short support, but having someone who supports you makes whether that is making the you know, taking care of the kids, or whether that is calling the coast guard when you need help, right, short support is really really valuable. So I have some of the best short support on the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Graham, it's been it's been an inspiration to meet you and to hear your stories. I mean, I was my mind was, absolutely I was trying to watch the film. It was a great film, but the whole time I'm thinking, like, how cool is it that this guy has You've pursued your dreams as a professional, as an entrepreneur, but you've also given yourself big chunks of time to celebrate those successes and to go see the world with your family, and that is a rare thing. And I think that all of us need to be inspired. And having you on this podcast it's an inspiration for me and I know for Brian. Brian speaks so highly of you, and I'm just so excited that our listeners get to hear about what it means to sale around the world and how it so much of it translates to overlanding. You know, for those that are listening, just remember, like keep testing yourself, get uncomfortable, find the things that give you that little bit of a nod in your stomach because you're learning something new and you're testing yourself and your vehicle and your travel companions. And then forge relationships with people that have similar dreams and you'll be shocked what will happen when it all comes together. You might just find yourself staring at a pull bear across across in the Northwest passage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's I couldn't have said it better. That's really how the magic happens. Yeah, you know, you guys have made it happen over and over again. I think this show is full of people who read about now are telling really interesting stories about where the you know, where their next adventure is or where their last one is. And that's what makes this so much fun, so really lucky to be able to do this.
Speaker 1: How do people find out more about your sailing adventures on dog bark and then give people, you know, just a quick insight on how to find out more about.
Speaker 2: Sure so ignick is I g n i K dot com. There's all kinds of information about our product there, and it's about our philosophies. And then if you're curious about saying you want to see pictures of Brian swimming in the Arctic. That is saledog bark dot com. And so that is the way to all along with us. We've actually got some stuff coming up, so I mentioned this. We're We're. The boat has overwintered in the maritime provinces of Canada. We're headed for Greenland and Iceland this summer.
Speaker 5: So amazing.
Speaker 2: You know there'll be more good content coming back.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt. And the website is a great blog. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We had a few folks on the boat did a great job of updating it regularly, some gifted photographers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one drone pilot.
Speaker 5: A fearless drone pilot.
Speaker 1: Every time I've attempted to fly a drone from a sailboat has been a near disaster.
Speaker 5: Every time the time near disaster.
Speaker 2: So we didn't lose a single drone.
Speaker 3: No, we didn't.
Speaker 2: You are And I've got another friend who's a very good drum pilot, but he lost a couple on dog marks.
Speaker 3: So good record.
Speaker 4: I got more and more confident the further along we went. The first day I was like, I'm not flying it, And after a while I was like, let's keep it right boy.
Speaker 2: Some of the iceberg footage was just amazing.
Speaker 3: It's a great, great backdrop.
Speaker 1: Well, Graham, thank you again for being on the podcast, and we thank you all for listening, and we'll talk to you next time.