Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Monday Morning, April fifteenth. It's the Monday weekend week week trends. I prefer the week trends. Oh. I am Jack, and I'm thrilled to be joined by Brian the Editor.
Speaker 2: Hello, it's me, Brian the Editor. It is I'm a sleepy.
Speaker 1: Guy, a sleepy pie, honeybun. It's Monday morning. Miles is still making his way back from Japan. I've been told that he lost his voice at the wedding, so maybe the next time you hear from him it will be a scratchy Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: A scratchy Miles.
Speaker 1: Anyways, thrilled to have you here, Brian. This is the episode where we tell the people was trending over the weekend. It was pretty eventful weekend, but we do like to kick off by telling the people what we think is under eight overrated. Let's start with underrated. Is there something you think is underrated that you want to tell the people about. Uh, you know what I'm gonna be.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a gracious king and I'm gonna let you go first. Jack.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I truly appreciate that gracious king. I appreciate you my gracious King, all right, so my underrated There there's a New Yorker profile of the woman who took over as like the sanitation commissioner in New York under Eric Adams and is trying to make it so that the city isn't just lined with like snow drifts of trash bags that are like wriggling ominously with colonies of rats. Just you know, is one of those things you immediately get used to in New York that there are like just giant mounds of trash almost everywhere.
Speaker 3: I've always heard about this my entire life with New York, and it's honestly been part of the reason why. It's like I'm like, yeah, I'm just not really interested in going sounds gross.
Speaker 1: It's amazing sound gross. Yeah, it is gross. And also it's crazy how much this article made me miss New York, just like I don't know, there's like something about the sense memory of you know, living smells like a garbage dump. Yeah, just some big garbage. But it's like yeah, but that you know, your blood is pumping in a way that it never does anywhere else. But anyways, there's this one anecdote that's like buried in the article that I just had to share. This fucking blew my mind, so I'm just gonna read directly from this article. Occasionally, a New Yorker will call three one one, the city's all purpose helpline, to report that they have mistakenly thrown out something of great value, if their trash hasn't already gone in the pit, which is like a giant pit where the garbage truck's line up and dump the garbage and then it gets like smashed or burned or you know, and taken out of the city. But the caller if it hasn't been dumped in the giant trash pit, the caller is told to visit their local marine transfer station, where the truck that collected their garbage will be tipped in front of them. The owner is given ninety minutes to wade through the muck to look for their discarded item, a protocol known as Lost Valuables Search. So already just an amazing fact that they set up this like game show where you have one and a half hours to like you have like a ticking clock to wade through just like medical waste and rotten banana peels and dog shit to like find your wedding ring essentially, but then like there's also this detail that it goes on to say, with surprising frequency, people find what they came for. New Yorkers have a way of recognizing their own guar garbage. That's my bag, they'll say, making a beeline toward a corner of the trash pile. Over the years, tax documents, false teeth, God, who is doing that for false teeth? Like that our false teeth to false teeth like cost as much as a car or.
Speaker 2: Something that was my understanding.
Speaker 1: Family heirlooms and hard drives have been recovered. Last year, a woman called to say that she'd accidentally tossed out a diamond ring. Department officials told her that they could hold the truck that picked up her garbage. Then they described the procedures she'd have to follow. The woman told them to forget it. An end quote, but just the fact that they are sporting enough to be like, all right, you got ninety minutes. I'm imagining a giant clock that like the like ticks down like the twenty four Jack Bauer clock as you're looking for your shit, Yeah, exactly. But and then the fact that they find it, ever, is this is amazing. Like my first thought on ree is like, no, well that's absurd, Like they're just pulling a prank on people for having something that they value so much, like way more than anyone should value anything. The person who, by the way, told them to forget it is I think the only sane person in that anecdote. But uh, just I don't know. Something unsurprising about New Yorkers being able to find their garbage having lived there, And yeah, it's this garbage. It's this article about how New York is basically like a garbage spewing waste factory. That's number one expert is terrible smelling garbage bags, And it somehow made me misliving there somehow, like the commissioner who takes this job usually ends up loving garbage, and that I got it. There's just something I don't know why. There's just something about New York. It's also like they do acknowledge like ecologically a total disages and they're not even trying to deal with that. They're just trying to get the garbage off the island. But again feels like a game show, like just how much garbage can we get out of here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they should have like daily, they have some sort of like a counter, the garbage counter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like just like get right after the weather on the news. They just it's like, all.
Speaker 3: Right, man, we've had nine million tons of garbage today so far.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, I mean eventually probably in a few decades. Like they seem to be way behind, like some of the technology they talk about and the rest of the article new York having is like stuff that other cities have had for years, but New York is just like behind on this for some reason. But I'm sure like in twenty years they you will be taxed by how much like garbage you create, you know, but that will not be starting in New York.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a brilliant idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah it Also the article just had an anecdote about how that proposed National rail Workers union strike that almost happened. If it had happened, like New York would have been choked in garbage within six days because the garbage leaves via rail.
Speaker 3: What once it's done, they have to get it out of town, like there's nowhere to put.
Speaker 2: It in New York.
Speaker 1: So I would also say underrated is collective action. I guess, like I feel like the media should have mentioned that as more of like a ticking clock that like, yeah, and if they do decide to go on strike, our largest city will be choked in garbage, will drown in their own waste, like within a week. But obviously the mainstream media won't tell you that shit. You just find out about it as a side note in an article like three years later. But anyways, those are some things I think are underrated. Basically, I read a New York or article and can't stop talking about it. Brian, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: In that vein?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go ahead and say what is underrated is city life. City life in general is underrated because man, I had a fun weekend, like a fun weekend like I haven't.
Speaker 2: Had in a long time. And it's not because I moved back to the city.
Speaker 1: You moved from a pretty like rural kind of idyllic like we've seen some drone video that you took of your previous living conditions. I was like, God, damn, that is the dream.
Speaker 2: I was living on a what essentially was like a private beach for a while.
Speaker 1: You were living in a truck commercial, like the truck commercials where they're you know, combing the beach and doing donuts and like, there's just for some reason, we want our car commercials to take place in a depopulated wasteland.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what.
Speaker 3: I actually did, Jack, Yeah, I took my pickup truck, which I had living in this place, and I drove it down that six miles of private beat.
Speaker 1: I saw the video filming myself with a drone. Yeah, it was sick.
Speaker 3: That was that was very fun to do. And that's that's the perks of living rurally. Yeah, and yeah they got boring after.
Speaker 2: There too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I noticed in the video. I noticed in the video of the truck commercial you created for yourself that you were wearing clean xboxes on your feet for shoes, and you had the back of your truck was full of jars and jars of your own piss.
Speaker 2: There was no reason for me to not wear pajamas.
Speaker 3: There was literally no reason for me to wear like anything nice or go out. I was very sedentary to like the detriment of my health. I think I was just I was just there was nowhere to go, nothing to do, and now I'm just I'm popping out like literally like nine times a day, just like getting snacks, going to the movies, getting I get a little nightcap.
Speaker 2: At the end of the night, I just pop into a.
Speaker 1: Bar and have one drink, disappearing into the crowd like a bad guy in a missions movie, like.
Speaker 2: A bus passes in front.
Speaker 1: I just disappear. You just disappear.
Speaker 3: Like I went, me and my partner went out for dinner last night, like this pretty low key place and just ended up like chatting up with the people sitting next to us. And then then we all went to like some other bar. We all hopped in an uber together and uh and and went out. Yeah, the stink jack like and where I'm at isn't quite the level of New York.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just that that filth, that.
Speaker 1: Grime smells like shit. You know what else, It smells alive.
Speaker 3: I do miss it. It does smell alive like a bear, like a bear.
Speaker 1: That is shitting positively everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it is exhiliary. There is an exhilaration about. Yeah, just being in like this.
Speaker 2: Massive metropolis where.
Speaker 3: Where you're teetering precarious like where like you said, like you know, New York has to that they'll be choked with trash in six days or if if they're not constantly pumping water out from under the city, it will just.
Speaker 2: By the ocean and its.
Speaker 1: Way into the Atlantic Ocean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like living in places like that, there is.
Speaker 2: An inherent excitement.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, even though I've never been to New York City, I can definitely see the appeal of like just wanting to be in one of those places.
Speaker 1: You're just like a cell in a vast living organism that is like thrumming with life and you can just you know, the thing that we've talked about a lot on the show that can be helpful people struggling with a lot of the mental health issues were a lot of us are struggling with, particularly these days, is like getting outside of yourself and being in a big city if you can, and like being open to experience. Is like, hey, those people just said something like that. I found funnier. You know, like that we just like caught each other's eye. Let's start a conversation and meet new people.
Speaker 3: The whole reason we started talking to these people next to us at the restaurant was we had just sat down and whatnot, and I was I was very stoned, and I was just like waiting for food, and I was almost just sitting there like meditating. Yeah, my partner looked at me, you know, it's like she gave me one of those looks like you good, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'm high, it's fine.
Speaker 3: And they just burst it out laughing next to me.
Speaker 2: And that's how it started me.
Speaker 4: I'm high, I'm high, Yeah, exactly, might as well announce it.
Speaker 1: All right, overrated? I think a lot of people were having the same conversation at the end of last week, but we never ended up having it on this show. So I just wanted to mention that I think it was I was overrating until the end of last week. How normal it was that I watched the OJ verdict in Spanish class.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like my high school, everyone treated the OJ trial like it was a historical world event as it was happening, and there's no real clear reason why, but everyone just kind of agreed at the time like this, Yeah, we like we invented the twenty four our news cycle just for that trial, and everyone everyone went with it. My fucking Spanish teacher just went with it. And a lot of people are like they're used to wheel in the TVs.
Speaker 2: They literally wheeled in the TV for this shit.
Speaker 1: There's one wheel it in for you.
Speaker 3: They Okay, I was in I want to say fifth grade, ninety four, right, yeah, yeah, so I was in fifth grade. They wheeled the TV in for fucking nine and ten year olds, like a.
Speaker 1: Murder trial, for a murder trial.
Speaker 2: Ran, I'm like, I shit you not.
Speaker 3: It was one of it's it's a memory that like kind of haunts me, Like I guess it's mildly traumatic because it's like it's just such a bizarre thing to have happen.
Speaker 2: You know, they're mind you I'm ten. They're preempting all of my fucking cartoons that I like to watch to show the trial. Yeah, so not only there's nothing for me to turn to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's all OJ.
Speaker 2: It was all OJ all the time.
Speaker 3: There was no Power Rangers, there were no like, uh, whatever the fuck, I don't know Big Bad Beetleborgs or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 2: Was on at that time.
Speaker 1: But they're gonna want to see this blood splatter analysis.
Speaker 2: But it's funny because it's like I was a naked gun fan, so I.
Speaker 1: Knew who was Yeah, that was my I he was.
Speaker 3: To me I knew he played football and all that, but I never watched him play football. I watched him burn his hand and fall down a flight of stairs in the gun, and that was funny to me, and I liked him because of that. Yeah, and yeah and then yeah, they wheeled up the TV in fourth grade their fifth grade.
Speaker 1: I remember just the only thing I remember is just the mirror neurons in my brain because the camera was on his face as they're reading the verdict. And so I was just relieved for him, you know, because I was just like, I didn't want to see Norberg find out he was never going to see his kids again outside of jail, you know, Like I just the mirror, Like I'm just like, well, you're showing me his face. So that's so I was like, you know, nothing more complicated than just like, I don't want to see this person be found guilty. I'm also not like a big vengeance guy, but you know, I feel like the justice system doesn't really work. But from that day forward, Brian I spoke with perfect Spanish accent, never made a mistake about when to use two and when to use oustid.
Speaker 2: So did you get any wild reactions from from the audience in your class on the verdict.
Speaker 1: I don't remember any I do remember like some of the black kids were celebrating, like in the hallway after when class got out.
Speaker 3: It's that I uh, there, there were I happened to have been at a school where there were very few black kids at the time, just for this year, which was cosmically very interesting that I got to experien It's almost like my whole life I've been doing a pH d on white people. I've been able to see them in really unique situations like I've been. I've been to Dartmouth University observing white people in their natural habitat that. Yeah, literally I've seen I was in the animal househouse. My friend was in that frat, and I saw horrific things and I smelled horrific smells. And those people are running the world right now. Yeah, it's terrifying. But man, I there was there were tears. They were like little ten year old girls crying in class after this verdict. Wow, And that is always stuck with me of just how how that is just so so many things, it's too much.
Speaker 2: Like I can't believe. Yeah, we allowed that to just sweep us up so much. Yeah, it was like crazy, It's like a Jake Paul fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was like what if what if your school stopped Spanish and math class and showed you the Jake Paul fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's the only thing I can.
Speaker 1: Let And we were all just like, yeah, well I can't not watch it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, race war, Race War.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, all right. Uh, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Uh, I'll keep it quick because it's been on my list for a while. Duvet covers, Uh huh. Now it's twenty twenty four. We have fucking AI. We can send people to space, but they can't keep the goddamn duvet from bunching up in the cover. And I don't know why we haven't advanced technology enough to have a decent douve cover.
Speaker 2: I know this is a weird little rant, but it just bugs me. How the douvet meat.
Speaker 1: No, I like, there's no way to make meat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dobate meat is always ill distributed. And I don't.
Speaker 1: Wait, are you is it not tying? Are you not tying it to the corners the inside corners?
Speaker 2: What do you mean tying it to the corners?
Speaker 1: There's like little ties on my douvet cover that you can tie the meat to the cover in the corners.
Speaker 2: See, that's my thing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we need like some weird little clips or something, but all the ones that I've had don't have.
Speaker 1: You need to get you need to get them with a little ties.
Speaker 3: But you know how people are constantly like inventing dumb little improvements to pre existing products. I feel like it's lacking in the douvet field, Like people aren't trying to innovate. Like yeah, it's like you know, the the that Titanic submarine guy, he was trying to innovate on submarines.
Speaker 2: He didn't need to, he just need to build a good work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turns out the energy. Yeah, I think there are like and this is on me as a you know, as a person with a news show, when I discovered the douvet ties on the inside of the cover, that this was a possibility that should have been front page news, Like these are the sorts of things that should be front page news. Is like they've made a better duvet cover duvet relationship.
Speaker 2: I'm like, can we get magnets or something like?
Speaker 1: But if you get them wet, they stopped working so that's the problem. Wait, if they would, that's what Trump said one time. Working remember this all right, let's uh great duvet meet is what will not be leaving my mind anytime soon. That is what I will be referring to it as from now on. Let's take a quick break, and we'll come back and talk about World War three and the aforementioned Donald Trump. Oh yeah, and we're back and new World War three panic dropped. Over the weekend, Iran launched explosive drones and fired missiles at Israel. Again. The media is covering this almost. I mean, this is the main thing that is getting the coverage, and not like the fact that Israel had killed two Iranian generals and embassy. You're not provocative attack on a fucking embassy. On April first, can I.
Speaker 2: Tell you something. Fucking Ecuador raided the Mexican embassy in Ecuador to get one of their people out. I don't know all the details, but Mexico completely cut diplomatic ties for a raid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if you blow up an embassy, they're going to be pissed like to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like the whole thing, I don't so like obviously, World War III soon trending on Twitter. The nightmare in the Middle East has always been like a war that involves Iran. Biden came out and stated the US wouldn't participate in a counter offensive against Iran, although US and UK forces did help Israel shoot down the Iranian drones. Basically they completely repelled the attack to a degree that like you'd think that they would be downplaying how much they repelled the attack if they wanted to justify the war. But like it just seems like it's being portrayed as like now we basically got every single one.
Speaker 3: I think I saw an article it was like we literally gotten ninety nine percent of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Columbian President Gustavo Petro said we're now in the prelude to World War three.
Speaker 2: But he would say that, wouldn't he Petro.
Speaker 1: I mean, his last name is Petro. Forgot he just wants he just wants that sweet sweet gas and oil money, if I had to guess based on knowing absolutely nothing about him other than his name. But there's also like the like John Bolton was invited for a friendly chat on CNN and called Biden an embarrassment for not attacking Iran. It's just like this when you go back and read about the Cuban missile crisis, like there has been this contingent of people who as far you know, as long back as the sixties Cuban Missile crisis, they were like, Kennedy is letting Russia and Cuba put rush us around and just wait and see the consequences of not starting a nuclear war with them. Of course the consequences were we didn't end the human species. Yeah, but like we never It's like you have to go back and like read the historical accounts of the time to really get through just how wild it is that, like in a room with the president was a whole contingent of people who are like, we got to start a nuclear war. Well that's the only logical next step. And in this case we have nan Yahu behind the switches and that makes me very uncomfortable. I don't know, but the whole the whole thing is scary, desperate and seemed to be intentionally provoking something like this with you, like like you said, blowing up an embassy is no small uh matter.
Speaker 2: Like it was, I mean, something like this was bound to happen, just with like there's you can't just level an entire like an entire city with everything in it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's it's just there was always going to be slash back on this fucking rampage that they're on, this this literal genocidal rampage. Yeah, like there's there was always going to be some slash back, and here here we are almost immediately dealing with ramifications of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like slashback as opposed to like blowback is the typical like c I a term, but slash back is more like vomity, And I feel like that's appropriate.
Speaker 2: Because it's so fucking messy. It's just like it's not it's not this. It's going to keep slashing back.
Speaker 3: It's going to go that way and it's going to come back, and it's just yeah, it's not good for anybody on earth, apparently, unless you live in Patagonia, where the trade winds won't bring the fallout.
Speaker 1: Right, Is that right? That's the one place that we.
Speaker 2: All have to, one place, they keep saying, So.
Speaker 1: This is actually really good for real estate and Patagonia, So congratulations to Patagonians. Also. Prophecies of twenty twenty four made by Nostra damas Man this guy had a lot of time. He wrote prophecies for every year, like up to this one.
Speaker 3: That was the great thing about the past. It was boring. You had fuck all to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he just his way of getting high was he would just stare into a candle and then like the visions would come to him. Anyways, all he said, you're going to see people on social media being like Nostradama's predicted it at like I said, was something about a naval war with a red adversary, because he wrote a lot of vague shit that can be contorted to mean almost anything. Cool. And also they had an invented.
Speaker 2: Adversary, so that could be China or Russia, right, anybody with red blood cells.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you think about it, they could also be read for reasons that we'll work out later. We read, well read, that's right, motherfucker's read. But anyways, you know, take a moment to I don't know, meditate, do whatever it is that you do to take care of yourself, because these are fucking stressful times.
Speaker 2: Yes, and also you don't have to pick a side you do not, Yes, you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to do it. I'm so stressed out, which one do I say, is the right? All right? Trump a lot of people talking about his New York trial beginning. I think everybody like remembered the days of OJ and got horny for a big public trial. But before we get to his public trial, that actually won't be that public, unfortunately for CNN and others. This weekend he also so he held a rally in Schneckville, Pennsylvania, where he went on a rant about the Battle of Gettysburg, the deadliest battle in the Civil War, which more than fifty thousand people were killed. Trump said, it was so beautiful in so many different ways. It represented such a big portion of the success of this country. Gettysburg. Wow. And then he added Robert E. Lee, Roberty Lee, who's no longer in favor. Did you ever notice it's no longer in favor? Never fight uphill me, boys, Never fight uphill Wow. That was a big mistake. Never fight uphill me boys. But it was too late.
Speaker 2: I've got the high ground. Anakin.
Speaker 1: It's such a funny take. I mean, Roberty Lee kind of Anakin, kind of a fucking trader, piece of shit. But then redeemed by his son before the death star blew up I don't know what the exact part metaphore was that, but the reason so just he wasn't super like. It's it's a funny take for Trump to be like, you ever noticed they canceled Robert E. Lee. It's like he was.
Speaker 2: He's saying that, like it happened like last week too.
Speaker 1: Yes, the reason Arlington National Cemetery is where it is is because America wanted like it is located on the plantation that Robert E. Lee like owned and lived on, and they were like, we're taking this and not only will you not be able to return to it, we're going to bury all the dead people who you are responsible for killing on your land. So go fuck yourself. How about that he was not super in favor at the time of the Civil War. People were pretty fucking clear cut about who the good guys and bad guys were at that time. It's just so funny that he's in a place where he's like, you ever noticed this guy canceled? We don't nobody nobody likes him anymore. It's bullshit. Anyways, the trial became a stand up, right, just unintentionally funny stand up. So the trial is starting today started this morning Apparently a number of Trump supporters appeared outside the courthouse, but they were outnumbered by members of the media. It's going to be tough for people to follow this trial closely because back to New York just be in a weird place with its own set of rules. New York doesn't allow cameras in courtrooms. Fine, like that's not that crazy. Uh. They don't even permit audio recordings or photographs. They will allow for about sixty journalists to attend, as well as two sketch artists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is all because of the Sketch Artists Union, by the way, right, they're like, no, you can't let fucking video cameras in here.
Speaker 1: That's right, this is this is all we got. What if we were still what if artist the Sketch Artist Union had stopped the development of cameras, you know, like, thank you fighting back. Yeah, but first of all, so no cameras. I mean, I do have to say, as a former resident of New York and now Los Angelo, New York, you call yourself a showbiz town?
Speaker 2: Yea, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: This is bad TV. We stopped the world with a trial about a famous person and he wasn't even a former president. Or trying to become president again. Yeah, Robert Blake, Yeah, that's that's the big one. But the other detail of this that is like the very weirdly New York lives by its own rules thing. New York makes it nearly impossible to get transcripts of criminal trials because of a rule that transcripts have to be quote purchased from the court stenographers, who get to pocket the money themselves and can charge as much as four seventy five a page for transfer.
Speaker 3: What no, I'm so glad I didn't read the doc. This is the jinguine reaction. Got what the fuck? That is insane? And like talk about a real like union. This is some union.
Speaker 1: Shit. Yeah, here, this is strong. The stenographer's union is strong.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. It's like, I gotta I have to learn this weird ass keyboard. I need to make something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, media outlets are forbidden from sharing transcripts, so they all have to buy their own and publication is prohibited.
Speaker 2: Uh learning tonight, I'm learning Stenoh night.
Speaker 1: We're seventy five a page and they like the media can't publish it. So like theoretically everybody needs to buy their own copy. And if you like publish it on the internet, like I don't know it is publishing it on social media illegal? Or does everybody need to like have a hard copy like I remember. This reminds me of when the piracy panic back when people were worried that writing music down was going to like ruin the music industry, like back during like the days of Beethoven and shit, Like they were like these people, like these kids are writing music and it's actually ruining music because everybody's going to just be able to buy our music and copy it off of one another, and so like you just had to have like the original writing or I don't know, it's I mean.
Speaker 2: That's why conductors were so important. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Conductor's Union also massive is the only.
Speaker 2: One who knows what the fuck it's supposed to sound like at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But even so, it doesn't just apply to the media. Even prosecutors and defense attorneys have to buy their own copies of the transcript from the stenographers.
Speaker 2: Wow did this happen?
Speaker 1: I don't know. They be so happy.
Speaker 3: Wow, Stenographers shout out to you.
Speaker 2: For keeping it on lock in New York.
Speaker 1: The fact that they're not even just like micing people up and like doing a recording of their voices.
Speaker 2: They're like noting them out back in the alley right after trial, let's out just like slanging pages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a trap house. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I got the papers. Who wants the papers? I got the papers and papers. It's awesome. It's really like, so this whole trial is going to take place in the Middle Ages, Like you're going to have like a written scroll of what somebody heard and then like drawings and yeah, which I don't know. Again, I respect it, New York. I love you so much. This is so weird.
Speaker 2: You're going to kill me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, exactly. All right, let's take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and talk about so War. We both saw it. We're gonna have a little film corner and other pop culture bullshit. We'll be right back, and we're back. We are, and Civil War broke records for an a twenty four movie at the box office.
Speaker 2: Crushed the record actually by good margin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, made like twenty five million dollars or something on.
Speaker 2: A on a fifty million dollar budget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty five point seven million of the box office fifty million dollar but I mean it has to have been the most expensive a twenty four movie.
Speaker 2: It looked like the most expensive one. It did, you know.
Speaker 1: It's all up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it it looked like a big budget action movie, and I was impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But anyways, when the trailer for the movie came out, I remember we covered it. We were a little confused about the politics of this like civil war where like Texas and California have teamed up and they're like that was kind of the main thing I got was like there's the Western forces, which are Texas and California, and then there's like the loyalist and a authoritarian president who's in his third term played by Nick Offerman. I thought he would have more to do in the movie, but he's kind of like just on the margins a little bit and the whole like all of that. So apparently there's like four competing factions, but you just don't really need to know that going into the movie, where the movie like doesn't really make it important. It kind of goes out of its way to not tell you anything, like about like not choose a side really in the conflict.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I found that a very it was interesting considering what the film is about. But I thought it was a smart choice to not turn it into like this liberal Daily Wire style thing where it's pushing some sort of specific agenda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a movie with a story to tell, and I appreciate it that it just told the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just focuses on photojournalists traveling through an American Civil war, and I thought so, like, I'm kind of two minds. On the one hand, like I there's definitely a feeling of like you're in an America that feels the way, like the way that the media and movies portray wars in other countries, like as a sort of abstract backdrop for other stories, is kind of how the Civil War in this movie is portrayed, like that nobody is picking a side, nobody's really weighing in other than they want to get an interview with the president before he's deposed, is kind of the frame of the movie. I think it's definitely a choice that, like the movie, I think is popular, at least partially because we have a authoritarian, dictatorial president. So like, I don't know, they keep you on like it has nothing to do with Trump and it's like, well that's not true. Like this, I don't feel like you could have made this movie and had like this many people be interested in it without the fact that Trump is happening, and like it feels like we're teetering on the edge of authoritarianism. But I guess there's authoritarianism happening around the world like that. There are other controversies, like the fact like it got some it thanks Andy know that, like real piece of shit guy who like wrote a book about Antifa that's like Antiphos like the the main bad guy in in history basically, and Antifax is one of the few real world elements that actually gets name checked. In Civil War, we hear about the antifoot massacre, but the movie never clarifies if like the anti fascists got slaughtered or did the slaughtering, which.
Speaker 3: I really actually kind of like, I was like, what the what's the what's the story behind that? I can see why people I almost think of it like you know how like Marvel movie nerds are always searching for Easter eggs and clues to like the next fucking like it's that's what this feels like.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because it's like the movie is. It's so unambiguous, much like every Alex Garland movie. They're they're not subtle films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to like google like what did it all mean? Like it's very clear what the film is about, what story he was trying to tell. And really, for me, it's like all of these questions that people have about these weird little politics, the politics of it. It's like it's almost like asking, but why couldn't women have kids and children of men?
Speaker 2: Like what's the reason? Why? Why is there why is there no water in Mad Max? What was the cataclysm in the road? It doesn't make sense to me if you watch the movie, because it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: In all those movies the bad guys should have been named Trump.
Speaker 3: It just seems silly when you watch it, and it's like, yeah, those films are very much in line with this film. They are all sort of road movies in a world that's really fucked up and no one really there's this fog of war essentially, I guess nobody really knows what the fuck's happening. It's just this chaotic mess and you're just traveling through this world. You know, it's like, you know, children of men. They had those you know, those advertisements for those those suicide pills, and it's like it does make you wonder like how this came about, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: This is the world that the film's portraying. And yeah, yeah, it's almost like some people are refusing to accept the film that they were given and they wanted something else. I just don't know what that's something else.
Speaker 1: Yes, the main overall takeaway is like everybody every part of the war feels like the second people are in the battle, you're like, god, this seems like a real mistake. Like the violence. Like there's one part where like somebody's out and like they're behind a column being shot at and like scared and crying and like you know, really know that they're about to die, and it like that felt really powerful to me, Like it's just no matter what side you're on, once the war starts, you're like, fuck, yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter who's shooting at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a very there's very one of my favorite scenes in the film where some people are being shot at and you know, one of the one of the journalists is asking all these questions like yo, who who's given the orders here and like you know, who's shooting and it's like the the guy is just like and he's like, bro, yeah, somebody's shooting at me and I'm trying to kill them.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all I got. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter who's shooting at me, they're trying to murder me.
Speaker 1: That's thee In some ways, like that, that blankness of like what is happening? Who maps onto what political ideology is kind of the point overall, Like I thought it was, you know, I enjoyed the movie. It kind of the the one thing that like I don't I would say bumped me, but it has this one scene for me, or these two scenes, the sniper scene, but then when Jesse Plemmons shows up, it's he is just it's it's not a long performance. I don't want to like spoil it. No, it's not a lot, but it is. So it reminds me of like when in Dark Knight, when like Keith Ledger's performance is so incredible that you're kind of just like waiting for the next moment for him to come back, like yeah, because Joker.
Speaker 2: Wasn't in that movie all that much.
Speaker 1: It's really not Yeah, you're like wow, just like takes it up or like saying private Ryan, Like there's like a chunk of the movie that's not the climax that's so much more electric and compelling than everything else that it sort of feels misshapen, like I like that's kind of how this was and feels to me a little bit.
Speaker 2: But the something about the glasses really somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why, and the red sunglasses are so fucking iconic.
Speaker 2: It makes it so much more unsettling why.
Speaker 1: It's wild because when we watch the trailer, we were like, everything besides the Plemons, like everything feels a little bit like it's like Sound of Freedom level, like I don't know, it feels like it could be a Daily Wire movie. And then shows up in the red sunglasses and in the trailer and I'm like, all right, I'm in like that that and that's the rest of the movie does not feel like a Daily Wire. Ben Shapiro production is.
Speaker 2: Pretty keeps talking about it like it is supposed to be, which is.
Speaker 1: Right, right. I think the rest of the movie is pretty strong, but the Plemons ship like really stands out and is fu and just one of the scariest characters just unbelievable. Yeah, really so yeah, I would definitely say absolutely worth your time if you're wondering whether or not to see it, if you're coming to the Daily Zecheist for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for two hours, it's great. It's beautifully shot.
Speaker 3: You get to see a very cinematic rendition of a what is referred to as a microwave. I won't elaborate on what that is, but it's right at the beginning of the movie and it looks terrifying and it's incredibly shot.
Speaker 1: Which which parts of the microwave I don't.
Speaker 2: Know when they're showing her like the.
Speaker 1: We're talking Havana syndrome bro no, like.
Speaker 3: Her PTSD shots, like right at the beginning where she's trying to like close her eyes and get some rest, and there's these flashes of past work she's done and they put they put the tire around that guy in Jesus Christ like and I thought, I see this in a movie like this is fucking wild.
Speaker 1: That is one of the moments also that sticks with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the tone for the film of like, oh, this isn't going to be.
Speaker 1: Chill at all, not chill the number one just.
Speaker 3: Do with the microwave and the opening credits, like basically I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh, ok, Alex, calm down. You don't have to hurt him, Alex damn.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's see other other pop culture news happening.
Speaker 2: What do we get? What do we get? What do we get?
Speaker 1: Rip? Gen Z? Unfortunately they couldn't handle sex in the city. It killed them. They There's just this is like, this is one of the stories that we're just covering because it's a fake story, but you're probably seeing it, so we'll just let you know.
Speaker 2: I did see something about this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's just like a handful of tweets and one article in The Independent claiming that the show is often ring, which it always has been that from the moment it came out, cris the tone was, the tone was like the just brutal clunkers of jokes, and from day one it is unabashedly crint uh So. And that's not me saying so why are you writing this, gen Z. It's me being like, this controversy is so fucking stupid, Like just because someone's young and says that something feels cringe, like that changes it, even though like that is explicitly it's purpose I think I think there are some young people who are like, wait, you guys thought this ship was like not cringe, and it's like, no, it's helpful to clarify that has always been the point of Sex in the City is like bad clunker, dumb sex puns and jokes.
Speaker 2: My question is, why is gen Z even bothering.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like gen Z watched like like the Andy Griffiths Show or something like why are you Why are you here?
Speaker 1: It's on Netflix, so uh, people just watch it on Netflix. But also it's like a cultural thing, like I don't begrudge on the opportunity to watch it. Obviously, nobody is forcing them to watch it, and I feel like they also understand perfectly well that not every movie or TV show from a quarter century ago is going to stand the test of time. This feels more like it's just a old people in the media who are frustrated with their kids not liking the shit that they like, trying to make a story happen.
Speaker 3: Most of them for giving it a shot, though, because I genuinely wouldn't have thought that this would have any appeal at all, and they would just like.
Speaker 2: Just ghost the whole show. Yeah, but they gave it a.
Speaker 1: Shot, right, yeah. I mean it's iconic and that I could see people like even I as, what's the second the City reboot called? And just like that and just like and just like that was so persistent even after like the first two episodes that I think we watched for this show just to be like, wait, there's got to be something here, right, everybody's talking about it. Like even I was like with there it feels like there's more here than there really is. I can see that driving people two sex in the city to be like all right, well that sucked, but clearly there's something here that's like bringing people back trying to recapture something. The other big pop culture event of the weekend was Conan O'Brien being eulogized basically following his appearance on Hot Ones. Like my entire social media feed for like twelve hours was people being like Conan O'Brien is funny, like it just and it was all in the tone of people being like these kid again could be a fake news story because it's a lot of people being like the these kids don't realize how funny Conan is. But that that seemed to be the experience. So did you see the Conan appearance on hot Ones?
Speaker 2: Uh? No, no, I gotta admit never watched hot ones.
Speaker 1: So I had never watched hot ones either, like it seemed. While the main take in the in social media seemed to be we've all seen hot ones, and now a bunch of us are just discovering Conan O'Brien, I'm assuming that for most people the truth is like the opposite that they knew Conan, and or at least most people like our age and like are just this was my first experience with hot ones. I probably won't be watching more hot Ones. I don't know. There was nothing like wrong.
Speaker 2: Why don't people eat spicy food? It just sounds annoying to me.
Speaker 1: It's like an episode of Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend, which is a podcast I enjoy. If he was hurting himself the whole time, which is what the idea of hot ones is. Like, you see this person being interviewed while they're like suffering a little bit. That's not really my thing. I don't I don't get much. I mean, hell, I didn't want to see oj hear a guilty verdict. That's how much I don't want suffering. I just want I want everybody to be happy. But he's really funny and like, you know, it's a it's a great piece of video. I definitely recommend it. But it's just people are treating it like they this is wow. Conan O'Brien. Who's this Conan O'Brien. Fella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the second best writer for.
Speaker 3: The Simpsons of all time, behind too John Schwartzwelder, George Waller.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that guy just stayed writing for the Simpsons right for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's got some of the best episodes under his belt.
Speaker 1: Anyways, worth watching. Go check it out, give it the wood, watch the along with Civil War.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll check it out.
Speaker 1: He really like he just has a complete breakdown and when he got home, like my man, I was legitimately like worried for his safety. If you have you ever gotten like kept sasan or you know, like been cutting plapangos and gotten it on your hands, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It definitely. I remember one time I was making hot sauce at work and.
Speaker 1: Some not go away. It is a weird feeling, and he's rubbing hot sauce all over him.
Speaker 2: I rubbed like right underneath my eye.
Speaker 3: Not I didn't touch my eye, but I touched like right underneath it, and those those vapors started moving up and I was in capacity.
Speaker 2: It was like I got pepper sprayed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeahah. In his case, he said that he had a complete breakdown and that when he got home his skin was literally burning because he got hot sauce under his wedding ring, which is interesting because yeah, like if you always wear your wedding ring, that's the skin underneath it gets like turns into like gollum skin.
Speaker 2: It's like weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just like weird things.
Speaker 3: It's like you don't take a band aid off for like three days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like a weird little deformed part of your body.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that sounds like it's yeah yeah, the part the part of my finger under my wedding ring is like precious, don't.
Speaker 1: Like when we go outside, it's like, what is this light off of me? He said, If I think something's funny, I will do it and suffer later, And that's exactly what happened. And uh yeah, I was. I was worried for his safety during the show, and apparently rightly so, because he was rubbing. Don't hot sauce, anything spicy can be it's it's like treat it like acid, like LSD. It can be absorbed through your skin and have the same effect through your skin. Uh, do not yeah, and do not do it with an eye dropper. I would say, all right, those are some of the things that we're trending over this weekend. Brian the Editor, thank you so much for joining Filling in Pleasure? Where can people find you? Follow you all the time?
Speaker 2: You can find me in the city, in the city nightcaps and delightful evenings.
Speaker 1: You can shouting about how high you.
Speaker 3: Are, shouting, just shouting from the rooftops that I am high. And yeah, you can find me on Twitter. It's Brian the Editor. I think I'm not on very often and don't bother me.
Speaker 1: There you go, resounding endorsement. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore. O'Brien. H that is going to do it for us this morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole lass episode of the show. Until then, hull ass, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow, Bye bye