Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. Before we get into this show, let's take a quick moment to talk about the foul Territory Store. That's foul Territory Shop dot com. You can shop the twenty twenty six All Star collection now at the new Look Shop. The drop features every All Star including PCA. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed gear throughout the rest of the season and playoffs at foul Territoryshop dot com. You can scan that QR code that's on the screen right now if you are watching on YouTube. That's foul Territoryshop dot com.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 1: The Cubs had a draft last weekend, two days, twenty one selections for them over twenty rounds. They had that extra pick after Kyle Tucker signed with the Dodgers, and they took sixteen pitchers. This is not a shock. Dan Canterwitz kind of tipped their hand so to say. You know, he didn't flat out say they were going to do it, but if the opportunity arose He said they were looking to be more aggressive with selecting pitchers. They were working more directly with player development and Tyler Zambro, who has taken on a bigger role VP of pitching, and sixteen sixteen new arms are in the system. They're not all signed yet, so not official, but I believe they expect to sign the majority of these guys, the vast majority of the players they drafted. And number one pick twenty third overall, Cade townshend out of old miss right handed starter for them. That's their number one pick. New big arm added to the farm system, arguably the top arm in the system.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, it was interesting to hear Cad you know, say be asked about his connections to your organization and he said.
Speaker 2: You know, he knew Ryan Rolson really well. And I thought that was.
Speaker 3: A good jumping off point in terms of trying to think about what the Cubs are doing with their pitching group. And so rosson a waiverclaim who bounced around this offseason, former first round pick of the Rockies where things didn't work out, needed a change of scenery, need to get healthy. That was probably the primary reason why he had bounced around that much. And it was a good timing because I was in Cincinnati, and you know, Ralson was talking off the field, and he's a really good talker. He's a thoughtful guy, very appreciative and you know, insightful because of his journey to get to this point. And yeah, he was a first round pick out.
Speaker 2: Of Old Miss.
Speaker 3: His wife, who had also gone to Old Miss, works with their athletic department.
Speaker 2: And sort of in the NIL space.
Speaker 3: And so he's gotten to no Townsend over the last two off seasons, you know, basically since he first stepped foot on campus as a student athlete. And you know, he said he obviously has big league stuff, but that he was very impressed by the way he went about it, how he would talk through the game. I'm assuming he's very up to date on all the bells and whistles you know in the Cubs tech department just kind of already speaks that language. And so Rolison, a guy who no one really paid attention to when the Cubs made that waiverclaim and is now like pitching the ninth inning for the Cubs at times, or pitching multiple innings in games they wind up winning, like at Dodger Stadium of all places, like He's an example of this system, and so he had been asking Zambro sort of on and off of like, do you think we got a shot at Townsend?
Speaker 2: You know, they're texting back and forth.
Speaker 3: Zambro did a zoom with Townsend in the final days before the draft, on top of what was a very good meeting with the Cubs at the Draft combine, and so this, I think you could speak to this od of is a should be a better form of synergy than maybe they've had in the past, or at least that's the hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think they've really incorporate rated player development and working hand in hand with Zambro and his pitching people. That I think that leads to that should lead to better results. I think it's a better process when you have the people that are going to be working with these guys and coming up with the development plan, helping identify what works best, what what traits they're looking for. This is something that you know teams have been doing for years. As far as you get the data, you get the high speed images, the high speed camera images, and you can kind of understand what what a pitcher can do, how can what pitches can you add what what can you incorporate into this picture's arsenal and feel strongly about it, just by the way a pitcher's arm moves. And they, you know, with all these selections, with many of these selections, they see they already have a development plan in place. You mentioned it with Townshend. He's very aware of all the tech and it seems like there's a good like plan in place. These guys trust like he's he's on board and he understands all the things that they want to do, and they already have a development plan in place. I'd expect him to, you know, as long as he's healthy to be the type of pitcher that could move quickly. That doesn't mean he's going to be on the opening day rotation next year or anything like that. I mean moving quickly is being ready by you know, twenty twenty eight. If he's ready late twenty twenty seven, that's a huge developmental win. But this is a guy that you know, he's he's smaller in the sense like he's six', one but they like he holds his velocity deep into. Games is he a five to six inning? Guy can go seven? Eight we'll, see, Uh but he's got a d, arsenal AND i think they believe they can add and refine, it add to it and refine. It it's a it's intriguing to kind of see them go so aggressive with pitching and And I'm i'm curious to see how player development goes right now when it comes to, pitching because it is different than it was even a year. Ago so they have a different and it's a different way of attacking, things and we'll see how it, goes because they certainly are much more optimistic as far as pitching goes than they had been. BEFORE i did not get a lot of great reports after last year's draft when it came to the. Pitchers not a lot of high. Upside there's you, know there's boomer bust potential with a lot of these. Guys but you, KNOW i Think townsend is someone that you, know consensus seems to be like this isn't like some crazy reach or this isn't a guy with low end. Stuff it was just like a you, know mid to back end rotation. Guy he's a mid to up you, know front of the rotation. Guy if all things. Click, Yeah, LOOK i.
Speaker 3: Mean Kate HORTON i think gives them a little more confidence or credibility in this.
Speaker 2: Area, Obviously Kate horton is now recovering from major.
Speaker 3: Surgery but how they were able to manage him last year and sort of take what they saw in flashes At oklahoma and kind of transport that to the major leagues is very. Impressive you, Know townsend pitch two years At Ole.
Speaker 2: Miss one year wasn't very.
Speaker 3: Good i'm not sure if he was like the best pure pitcher on his team for college this, season but he's doing it in THE sec for a College World series type of. Program they have all these various stakeholders now working together to give you, know pd just a little bit more raw material to work, With like instead of waiting for it not to work for The rockies first round pick this year and then waiting five years to get, Him, like what if you get him from the, START i can put him on a plan and see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Exactly all, Right let's take a break and talk a little bit more about some other intriguing arms that The cups. Drafted.
Speaker 4: Cap i've been looking for the best deals for The All Star game tickets In. Philly where are you gonna get some?
Speaker 5: Tickets From i'm going straight out To Rye. Field If harper And schwarber both joined the home run, DERBY i want to be catching the hometown guys hitting, Them So i'm going out to the rifefield kind of WHERE i THINK i could get the best to catch on one of those home.
Speaker 4: Runs maybe in the second. Deck you can go on the app and you can look to see what your view is going to because the boys are going to be launching Them john's and with over thirty five million, downloads seageek is the number one rated ticketing. App there are more than seventy thousand events listed at, seekk including, concerts, sports, festivals and. More and of COURSE i have a code for. Y'all you can use the code territory ten for ten percent off your next set OF mlb tickets at. SeatGeek that's ten percent OFF mlb tickets with promo Code territory. Ten make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it. Later thank you to seakeeek and we'll see you at the, game.
Speaker 1: All, Right like we, said sixteen pitchers selected by The cubs over the last. WEEKEND i believe their second picture picked this was they went pitcher two bats and then another, Arm Carson. Yassa this guy's six foot Seven patrick just a giant of a man on the, mound very, athletic quick, arm and that's something that The cubs immediately believe they can work with as far as a developmental. Plan this is a guy who throws ninety six. ISH i believe he averages with his fastball, already and he's not using his lower half as efficiently as he. Can it sounds like it's a short, stride not much depth in the lower. Half they think with like working out their high performance team working with him and just teaching him how to use that part of his body, better they, can like they're very confident they can add multiple ticks and that by like spring, training this guy's going to be close, to if Not touchingle. Digits. Uh that's that's a big. DEAL I, mean these are the types of things That i'm talking about WHEN i, say like working with player development like you already. Have you're you're having zooms meetings with these guys and and talking about plans before you're even. Selected. Uh and and in figuring these things. Out and guys are you, know buying in on plans and saying, okay, YEAH i think that makes. Sense, uh that's that's the type of stuff that you, know that's what the best orgs. Do now we need TO i, mean these are. Plans so WHEN i say all this, stuff it's important to, remember like The cubs haven't done anything yet with these. GUYS i mean they've done little, things, uh you, know in workouts and and talk to them about, stuff but they haven't actually executed the plan as of. Yet so it's it's we want to you have to see them execute. It but this is a guy that comes from a high, slot has feel for his breaking, balls and they believe they can to add more ticks to it and that they can add to his. ARSENAL i think they want to add a sinker to this guy's pitching. Repertoire.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think with all these, guys you have to be open minded but. Realistic AND i like hearing sort of the how and why some of these selections were. Made and that particular PICTURE i believe was recommended by Ty, nichols The scout who had Recommended Kate. Horton he's you, know a long time experienced scout in The cubs, organization and you, KNOW i think he's someone you know that they.
Speaker 2: Listened.
Speaker 3: To definitely that the size jumped, out you, know like when you're on deadline sort of like piecing together some of the, stuff it's, like, oh that dude's six.' seven they're taking him in the, third round you know as a pure. Reliever play, LIKE yeah i think really what you're looking, for too is like what if this guy just like clicks for, you know one season or a post trade deadline in. Another season not, this Year but i'm just talking about down, The ROAD like, i think, you know to have sort of a realistic view of like this guy's, got stuff they've got, a plan and if you could just sort of capture something a few years. FROM now, i mean that's really what you're. Looking for scanning some of these, other names like what pops out. To you obviously you got to go read it On the athletic for more, thorough breakdown, but like what are two of the other takeaways or names that lit up?
Speaker 1: For, YOU yeah i MEAN the i think it was a fourth or Fifth Rounder dillian Mariano From northwestern state guy that's. LIKE skinny i think they had him in for a workout and he's like one, sixty five he's already throwing. NINETY five i think he's Over His northwestern. State career he jumped a bunch, of ticks and they still feel like there's more. In there get him on a weight, gaining plan weight, training plan and they believe they can add two three. Ticks there. Like that that's the type of stuff like immediately there's. A plan immediately, they're like this is how we're going to. Elevate this This Picture, isaac morton right. Handed pitcher this guy fell to the sixth round because he. WAS hurt i think he, YOU know i think he was looked at as a much much higher. Round pitcher University. OF minnesota i think he was pitching hurt for a. Little while so like he was holding ninety six for five six innings and, then suddenly, you know for a couple of starts there he was at ninety two and at first they were saying it. Was, fatigue no he was pitching with a significant. Injuries underground i'm not sure if he's underground. Surgery yet he either will or has. Underground surgery so he's out. Right now but they saw him as like the guy with the best sweeper in the in, the draft one of the best sweepers in. The, draft uh and and like a pretty. Nasty. Sinker uh they're they're they're dreaming on him and hoping when he gets healthy that he could be a pretty special. Uh pitcher uh, YOU know i wrote logan web is the dream with. More velocity, THEY LIKE i i wanna, YOU know i want to caveaut all. These things that's what, You, hear, like obviously these, are dreams these. Are hopes uh is? It? Possible sure is? It likely like you need to cave out? That way like this is just like these are the wild comps you, can get uh when when you're talking to people about. This stuff but they're they're excited about him and and think like once they get, Him, healthy uh but health is going to be, An issue like it's not the first time he's dealt, with injuries and and like if that's, the case then, you, know uh you just don't know when what what's gonna happen and what happens with these guys when injuries are. The case and then there's there's a kid that they drafted Out. OF clemson i thought this, Was Interesting AARON. Ariston vesvc so he Committed to georgia out of high school and as a two, way player or he was Committed to georgia as, a catcher and then in high school, like randomly like came on the mound like they needed pitching and he was throwing like. Ninety, five again they didn't really know what they had. With him so then he ended up Going to alabama as a two way player in two years only pitched like three or. Four innings Transferred to clemson where he was a reliever under thirty innings this past season in twenty, something appearances but he was touching ninety seven, basically. Fastball curveball but again what we're talking about with, developmental plans they, you know they're breaking down like how he throws and his arm path and and, the like, you know everything that he does with how, he moves and they're like we can, add this this and this and feel very confident about being to add. Those things and they have a plan for him to add. Multiple pitches like it's a barely any development any time with, you know tech and a real development plan working on, adding pitches. Pitch design he's not spent any time really doing that because he's been a two way player and just really spend time as a reliever this year and only worked with. Two, pitches uh that's kind of like a, you know we'll see what, happens there CAN they i think these are the types of things like if you believe that you can do these things and, you execute like that's quickly, proof that, you know pitching development has. Gotten better like if we're a year, from now if we're talking about, these, guys, like hey, you know four of these guys actually executed their plans and are now doing, Different things like that's that's when we start Talking, about okay they they they really did something with their with their. Pitching development it hasn't. Happened yet this is all talk right now and and and plans and and just you know what they're hoping.
Speaker 2: To do so, he's like but better this two way guy who. GOT draft.
Speaker 1: I THINK that i think that's we're safe in. SAYING that i think we should just go ahead. With That. UH uh i don't think he's going to be a, two WAY but i think they drafted him as a pitcher to, Be, clear okay, all right, uh okay, let's uh let's take a, quick break but talk a little bit about how this impacts the organization and and uh presently and in.
Speaker 6: The future this episode is brought to you By Fan. Duel, baseball FANS the mlb season in, full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your Shot With. Daily dingers joining the action. Is easy just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in, their game and if, you're right you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at. Extra winnings it's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of. Home runs so are you ready to play? Your game head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to. Get started that's FanDuel dot com. Slash podcast to opt In For daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting. A homer playball and swing for the fences, on FanDuel an official Partner Of Major. League baseball no, purchase necessary opt. In required bonus issued as non withdrawable profit. Boost tokens, restrictions apply including any token expiration and max. Wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com gambling problem call or text one eight. Hundred, Gambler, Okay.
Speaker 1: Patrick so an infusion of pitching talent into. The system, you know we'll see how good these. Guys are but, right Now the cubs feel really good about the talent they have and the talent they can work with in. Their system what does that mean for the? Trade, deadline no they're not going to trade a bunch of these guys this. Trade deadline, you know unless there's some big deal to. Be made. They can't first, of all they can't be trade. Traded for they could be they could be a player to be named later if you wanted to go. THAT route. I don't i don't think that's that's what this draft. Was. About uh but now do do other arms? Become available that's that's. The Question Uh Is jackson wiggins more? Available Suddenly If, KATE townsend i think, they'd argue Is the cubs probably feel like? He's better, Maybe SLIGHTLY but i Would Say jackson wiggins. Is available he could you could be had for, you know two months of a reliever or maybe even two months of. A starter but if you can get a big deal, in place they'd be willing to Part With jackson wiggins in the, you know a couple of weeks ago that may have not been. The case.
Speaker 3: It does give them, more options and we've seen they're not exactly shy about trading recent draft picks again getting beyond that SORT of cba mandated. Roster guidelines but how do You Get, kyle tucker how do You Get? DAVID peterson i think there was one other oh Was it soroco?
Speaker 2: Last, year.
Speaker 3: Anyways they've at the trade deadline in terms of using guys who were drafted in say whatever the years, are now, twenty three, twenty four, twenty five kind of in that time frame of being willing to move those for right. NOW help i think it's a. GOOD strategy, i think, you know you look at how hard it is to get to, the majors how long it, can take how long it before player feels comfortable and ready to perform at that label at. That level they're in this cycle now the window. Is open that is interesting to Hear about wiggins because he's sort of like the only pitching PROSPECT that i think gets real traction as sort of a maybe not, a headliner but like A one b sort of headliner in a deal like their pitching depth has been. Severely depleted now there are probably organizations that may See certain cubs pitching prospects and can run through the miles and have a similar plan what you were, Just discussing toad of just kind of on the other end, of, like oh if we get this, guy here give him this opportunity to make. This tweak there probably are some of, those guys but in terms of the like guys that really move the, lead needle it's Kind. Of wiggans that is interesting to hear That on, june first EVEN though i think he was still injured at, that point you maybe don't want to give. Him up but now he's last, we heard he's pitching in, the minors and they have a little more inventory on the minor.
Speaker 2: League side that does open.
Speaker 1: Things, Up yeah and if you're making a list of the cubs ten best, PITCHING prospects, i mean how many come from, This draft i'd say more. Than half that's that's an indictment of where the pitching was and also compliment to. THIS draft, i mean but when you draft in bulk, like this, you know you hope that it adds to your, you know high end talent or potentially high. End talent, SO yeah i think they're more willing. To, MOVE honestly i think anyone that was in the system pitching wise before this draft can be had in the. Right deal they're not giving. Anyone AWAY but i don't think there aren't any untouchables on the. Pitching, side probably like if, you know even on the position, player side you could make the argument that there aren't really. Any untouchables it would it would take a pretty big deal to get Someone Like jefferson Rojas Or, Josiah hardshorn but, you know or any of the big leaguers or formerly big Leaguers Like Biastero's, Matt Shaw, pedro ramirez These aren't they're not giving those guys away and likely aren't moving any of them. FOR rentals. I don't i don't THINK anyone i name just there would be moved. For rental so, you, know there it's a pretty available group as far as their, farm system and it's a system that's gotten much better over the course of. The season i'd say they were bottom ten and now middle ten as far as as far as the system goes from where they've, jumped in and maybe. The pitching if, you know some of these guys will probably pitch with that. They drafted some of them will pitch. This year some of them look. Really good maybe maybe it pushes them up up a little bit more as far as how good the. System is, but yeah they're definitely they definitely have more to work with and more willing to, move GUYS and i think. THAT matters i think that's a. Big DEAL.
Speaker 3: And, i mean these are guys you know you can work with during a lockout right of like they would not be on the forty, man roster yet you would still have be able to even if they don't go out and pitch, this summer you'd be able to put implement a comprehensive long.
Speaker 2: Range plan and.
Speaker 3: You know everyone says we take the. BEST available i think most of the time they. Mean it AND then i think there are certain circumstances where you just have to look at what you have and sort of, plan accordingly because all these are just like, educated guesses and getting that many pictures just gives you a better chance to have one or two, breakthrough eventually or a couple can stay healthy enough to be factors either as trade chips in a different, trading cycle or maybe.
Speaker 2: They do we've seen it.
Speaker 3: This year even if you're just able to be an up and down optionable reliever like that holds a ton of value in.
Speaker 1: Today's, game absolutely, all right we'll wrap it. Up there we'll be back next week with more Episodes Of. Northside territory make.
Speaker 2: Sure, to, rate.
Speaker 1: Review, subscribe well we'll probably have a mail bag, next week so make sure To check twitter and respond to our ask for questions, a little but, for now this is it. This week thanks for. Listening everyone make sure, to, rate re, you subscribe subscribe to the, YouTube channel and Subscribe To the Athletic where Patrick and iron top of All. Things cubs thanks for listening. And watching take care. Of everyone