Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on the biggest pop culture moments of the week with the co hosts of the podcast Breaking Beauty, Jill Dunn and Carlene Higgins. How far would you go to win an argument? Is figuring out your contrast? The secret to flawless makeup? And what are you willing to give up to start the new year a step ahead.
Speaker 3: It's Friday, October twenty fifth. I'm Simone Boyce, I'm.
Speaker 2: Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day, Simone. When you just said October twenty fifth, all I could think is where is the month going? I feel like Mariah Carey is starting to warm up her voice and get ready to join the party.
Speaker 3: What does she say whenever she like breaks out? Oh, she goes it's time.
Speaker 1: Yes, It's almost time? Really is? I don't know if I'm ready for yet.
Speaker 3: I can't believe how fast the time is flying either, Danielle. But you know what got me in the mood for fall hm hm Our conversation with mall Yer Yeah, she gave us some seasonal and regional culinary inspiration.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking about the cookie salad. I know, I've never heard of it. I know, are you gonna make it? It lives rent free in my mind too, I think I am. I'm gonna try it this year.
Speaker 3: You love to try a recipe. I know I'm no stranger to a TikTok recipe. I like to get it on in the lab, you know what I'm saying. But I also really enjoyed our conversation with Chatham Greenfield and Laura Taylor Nami about the lit Up program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really special.
Speaker 2: It's so encouraging to see a program dedicated to helping underrepresented writers who have these important voices and important stories get published. Simone, would you ever write a book?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I will one day. Right now. My biggest barrier is time and focus. Yeah. Focus.
Speaker 2: That makes me think of our chat with doctor Sasha Hamdani about ADHD. I was pretty shocked to learn how underdiagnosed ADHD IS is for women and how many women are getting diagnosedes later in life.
Speaker 3: I know, right, that was truly shocking. I learned so much in that interview. I also loved hearing doctor Humdannie talk about how much hormones exacerbate ADHD symptoms.
Speaker 1: I had no idea about.
Speaker 3: That, And of course I am still not over and I don't think I will ever be able to recover from yesterday's conversation with Raven Simone. I know, I mean talk about living out my millennial baby girl dreams.
Speaker 1: Like we got to be honorary Cheetah Girls for the day. She's sang her theme song with us. She asked us to sing the theme song with her.
Speaker 2: The video of that is epic too, because we did the eyes. Oh, oh my gosh, I please sogn to the future.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything for me in my future. After that, that was it, I peaked.
Speaker 2: I'm really hoping we have her back to pop off with us one of these fridays.
Speaker 3: Yes, what do you think Bessie's should we do it? We're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: That brings us to today. We're getting ready to pop off.
Speaker 3: Yea, but first it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: President Biden awarded the National Medal of Arts this week, one of the highest honors and artists can receive. Recognizing their contributions to the arts on a national level. The recipients are usually legendary, and this year is no different. The recipients include two hip hop icons, Queen Latifa and Missy Elliott. Missy wrote a little tribute on X saying that she is humbly grateful and crying tears of joy, and then gave a special shout out to Queen Latifa, acknowledging the path that she's paid for artists like Missy.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty special moment. Queen Latifa deserves all the bouquets. Congrats to all of this year's recipients as well. All right, Danielle, I think it's time to bring in today's guests. Let's do it today.
Speaker 2: We're joined by Carlene Higgins and Jill Dunn, co hosts of the podcast Breaking Beauty. They're both former Beauty magazine editors turn beauty besties. Carleen and Jill, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Yeah yeah, all the way from Toronto. Thanks for coming in studio with that. Of course, we are thrilled to be with you guys. I love your show and the energy you all bring to podcasting. So it's fun to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I love that you said Toronto and not Toronto the way I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I know how to say it's Toronto street cred.
Speaker 4: There's no teas in Toronto. I mean, there's one tea in Toronto. Only one's that's the s expression. Yes, I like it.
Speaker 1: Well, I love the name of your podcast. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All the beauty magazine editors I know always come from a very different space than just a beauty of ficionado.
Speaker 1: How did you guys come up with the name of your podcast?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we really started out wanting to talk about the breakthrough people, products and moments and beauty, And certainly at the very outset when we sat down to like even brainstorm about the podcast, we were like, there's so much clutter out there, and there's actually so many inspirational founder stories in beauty. And because we were beauty editors, we were always like going on press trips learning so much much about brands and products and the people behind them, and that was what was so interesting, and we never really got to write about that, so it was always just like what's new. So we were kind of like, these people are bringing breakthrough ideas. We want to speak to them, and of course we've evolved since then, but it kind of came from that, and a lot of people ask me if it's inspired by Breaking Bad. It's actually not. However, that is my favorite show. I don't know if you would add anything, Kurleen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think this is what we've always tried to do as editors is help women edit what's really good in the market because it is so cluttered.
Speaker 2: So clutter is an understatement exactly. There are new launches every single week now.
Speaker 4: Exactly, so when we set out to speak to founders. Now we have basically an encyclopedia of brands who we've spoken to, whether it's Matt Cosmetics, Paula's Choice, some of these great heritage brands, and in magazines, the focus was always on what's new, what's new, and so we wanted to create this space where if you go and check out, let's say our Paula's Choice up is where we speak to the founder, Paula Bagoyin. We talk about the iconic product from Paula's Choice, the best selling products. So if you just are going to pick one to start out to get to know that brand, that's the product Doctor Denis Gross. We go deep on the two step bha Aha pads that are so iconic, backstory behind Viva Glam lipstick with the founder of Mat Cosmetics.
Speaker 1: We've got it.
Speaker 4: So I think it's very unique in the space that you can go in and kind of explore what's truly the best in beauty. And then every single month we also have product review episodes where we try dozens of products and we just edit down what we think are the best launches of the month.
Speaker 1: That's cool, sat damn good? Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, So what is a skincare product that we should all splurge on right now? Like, what's your one skincare splurge that's totally worth the money?
Speaker 1: Do we have a cap on this spend? No, honestly curious, like how high you want to go? Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things as being a beauty editor and a content creator is you do get sent pr And I got sent pr from doctor Jason Diamond's line. It's called Medicine m E t A sin ci n E. And I started using it and lo and hold, I loved it. And he's a famous plastic surgeon here in Beverly Hills and there's a lot of famous faces that got to him. So I started using it and loving it, and then I looked up the price point and it's a splurge at several hundred dollars dollars right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Zerum, I think, yes for one fluid ounce. Huh oh my god. Yeah, listen, I.
Speaker 5: Apologize in advanced it is good, but you know, ultimately, at heart, I am like a drugstore Amazon Girly, always have been, and I will recommend also like the cost Ar X Snail Music Zerum from Amazon, which is fifteen dollars. Like I think there's That's the beautiful thing about skin here these days is like there's something for everyone and you you can get a whole routine for one hundred bucks from Amazon and you'll love it. But I'm just saying that was a recent discovery for me. And you know, these products are out there. People are buying the expensive ones too, So.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a question about the opposite. Yes, okay, we've talked on the pod. I'm obsessed with the Loril voluminous mascara.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've tried Door, I've tried Charlotte Tilbury.
Speaker 2: All the expensive ones and I come back to the voluminous every single time as you should.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah. Is there a drug store product that you always come back to?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: There's so many? Yeah, I mean I agree with you, mascara. There is no reason to spend forty dollars on a mascara ever. You know, essentially they are on the same assembly line as you know, whether it's designer or drug store. And I truly think that mascara is the category where you can you don't have to spend more than probably twelve dollars.
Speaker 1: What's the lash extensions?
Speaker 5: One that we loved this year was it elf Well, there's two that Loreal Panorama I was obsessed with, and then Lash Extender from elf Lash.
Speaker 1: Extender, that's the one.
Speaker 4: It's a tubing mascara, which a lot of people love because the tubing doesn't transfer it kind of what is tubing? So tubing mescaras kind of create this saran wrap effect on each and every lash. So what's what you'll really notice mainly is when you wash off a tubing mascara, you only need water and if you kind of like use your fingers to rub them off, they come off in little tubes. Interesting and that's a tubing mescaren Because it has that kind of shrink wrap around each slash, it doesn't transfer, so for people who have oily lids or hooded eyelids, lower lashes, it's a great option for that. So the lash extender is our favorite. It's probably twelve dollars.
Speaker 1: I think it's eight bucks. Yeah, it's wild. But you're a good company because makeup by Mario who's been doing makeup for how long yep, I just went to his masterclass and he's that's he's using.
Speaker 2: Well, the holidays are coming up, and beauty products are always a great gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, he yah.
Speaker 2: But if we're struggling to figure out what to get someone, because as you mentioned, makeup is so personal, what products do you think make great gifts.
Speaker 5: For for skincare or for makeup or for makeup? Okay, I think right now what's absolutely genius and I wish I thought of it myself is when you go to a Sephora, and I think Altaism as well. These makeup sampler kits, so they will give you like ten mesceras in one.
Speaker 1: Kit, all minis and the fragrance sampler kits.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, for sure, but these ones lets you to try and they're all minis and it's like a really great value. There's sometimes like twenty five thirty bucks and you get to try ten and then you get inside that usually a coupon to then go in and redeem for the one you like the best.
Speaker 1: Allid cool. This is like an advent calendar for mass Yes.
Speaker 5: And then of course they took that idea they brought it to skincare. They have like vacation sets. Now they have once for frag which is also very personal. But I love that idea because you're giving the gift of choice. Yeah right, yeah, I think that's really fun.
Speaker 1: And discovery too.
Speaker 3: Right, You're allowing someone to like discover new brands that they're like, I feel like you can never go wrong with, like a little sampler kit of skincare makeup.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I ever get that as a gift, I'm like, amazing. Yeah, I'm trying to tell me something I love.
Speaker 4: I love the elevated like, you know, the whole idea of gifting where you have something little that is an everyday item, but you give them an elevated version of it, so you pay a little bit more and that's always impressive. People don't generally treat themselves that way. So I think an MEJ clock clip in a stocking is like everybody. So if you know that brand MEJ, it's again it's a great idea. It's a regular clock clip, but the colors, like it has that weightiness to it where it feels like designer sunglasses, do you know what I mean? Like the Prada sunglasses that heavy acetate and the colors are the best. We got a dark red one in our rare beauty pr Kids, but you can buy these as well, and it's just kind of the color selections great. We're a nail polish, you know, a nail polish is something that Chanelle Arnie nail polishes. They're probably around thirty four dollars, so again it's not a drugstore one, but it's something you can throw in a stocking and you know, if your friend is a nail girlie, then she's gonna love it.
Speaker 1: Are there any other trends that you're seeing?
Speaker 4: Did you guys hear that Beyonce unveiled her second fragrance just this week?
Speaker 1: Tell us more so.
Speaker 4: It's called se Lumiere and apparently it has top notes of Madagascar black pepper and Italian mandarin.
Speaker 1: Madagascar probably vanilla. That's where all the good bard.
Speaker 4: Notes of jasmine, samback, absolute and rhubarb, and base notes of Indonesian petuli and skin musk.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: She went all over the world to be and so it just it just dropped this week.
Speaker 4: It's available for pre order on her website and it will start shipping in early November.
Speaker 5: We were looking it up online this Yeah, once the cowboy carter inspired the look of it.
Speaker 1: The bottle. The bottle is how so well the.
Speaker 4: Colors, because I think the first one was silver in this one's gold and the other one apparently also launched following the release of Renaissance. So what's interesting is this three sixty promotion where it's really planned, you know, and you know this one's working out. Whereas, of course, with Blake Lively when she launched her hair care line with her movie, that didn't work out as well. Yeah, but this seems she seems to be doing this well. So yeah, that was big news this week. That is interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and nineties makeup is coming back, don't worry Dan. Yeah, but whether or not you're going to pluck your brows to go that full nineties?
Speaker 1: Are you going to commit? You're going to commit? No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I've never gotten my brows done. My mom would never let me. I'm so grateful to her for that now. Yes, but okay, nineties makeup, how would you describe it?
Speaker 5: A lot of vampy lips with thinner browse, like proper, you know, like almost a bit reminiscent of Gwen Stefani's No Doubt Days.
Speaker 1: Not as severe as that, but definitely we're seeing that on the runway. Yeah. So Flipliner, Yeah, Lipliner is your bff.
Speaker 2: I feel like we already started popping up, but maybe we should officially pop up.
Speaker 1: Loving this conversation so far, this is wonderful. Okay.
Speaker 2: So there's a brand new trend that's changing the way we think about applying makeup, and we've all searched to find the right shades, the right color palette for our skin tones. I know, in the Casado each Q stores in Japan and in China they have like a cool two way video thing that'll match exactly what your shade is, which is pretty remarkable. Everyone's trying to figure out how to do that on their own, and there's a makeup artist out of France who came up with the contrast makeup theory and it's based on this TikTok filter that she created.
Speaker 1: So here's how it works.
Speaker 2: You find the filter, it gives you prompts to match your skin tone to the contrast levels, so there's low, medium, or high, which I don't totally understand. Maybe you guys can explain that, and then it recommends the types of makeup to use.
Speaker 1: And how to apply it.
Speaker 4: I think we're going to try it live here on the air and figure out what contrast we are. But last year it was all about color theory, right, everybody on TikTok was trying different filters to figure out whether you were spring fall, you know, winter, summer. So now this idea is that you're going to find what makeup suits you best by contrast. So if your low contrast, the idea is that, well, you're going to put the filter on. And it really has to do with your natural features, So the color of your hair, the color of your eyebrows, the natural color of your lips, whether it's kind of has a low amount of difference between the shadows and the highlight, or whether there's a stark contrast, then you would be a high contrast person, and then there's right in the middle, which is mid contrast. And the idea the makeup artist proposes is that you then want to use makeup that suits your contrast zone. So if you take the example of Elle Fanning, she's blonde with blue eyes, barely their brows, very low contrast. So she had a picture side by side where in one case she has very light makeup, like monochromatic, kind of low makeup makeup, and in the next picture she's wearing a bold eye look. Her eyebrows are accentuated. You can think about a gold lip, and it is jarring. It's jarring because there's such a high contrast between this makeup and her natural the natural contrast that's on her face. So I think this makeup artist is proposing that if you want to be in harmony with the features that you already have, it looks better to stay within the family of your natural given contrast.
Speaker 3: From what I understand, it comes down to the juxta position between your skin color and your hair color. So if your skin color and your hair color are similar, like blonde hair, fair skin, that's low contrasts.
Speaker 1: That's what. So Sydney Sweeney is low contract.
Speaker 3: She's low con Yes, Zendaia is medium contrast because her hair is kind of like a warm brown.
Speaker 1: Skin is kind of a warm brown. Interesting.
Speaker 3: High contrast would be I don't know, maybe your high contrast, like you have fair skin with like a darker brunette hair.
Speaker 1: They were saying, Emily Radakowski is high contrast. Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, okay. Should we we have the TikTok should we try it?
Speaker 5: Let's do it everyone, I have it pulled up everybody, and it basically asked you to tap on your skin tone, which I've tapped on light, and then it asked you to put on high, medium or low contrast. I'm gonna get the video going. That's high contrast, so it looks very defined. All my features look extremely defined in that. Do you want to see mine or do you want to try it? I want to see yours and okay, okay, okay, you look like medium contrast, I think, I think so, yes, you tell me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So, since this is an audio medium, I'm going to try and describe what's happening here. One side of the filter is your face and then one side of the filter is this template that shows you what high, medium, low contrast looks like, and then you try to match them up and yeah, it definitely looks like your medium.
Speaker 1: Let's try it. Okay, let's try it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, simon you, why don't you try it? Okay, so you can you can just make a video. Start with the video, and then you can like play around. So you select your skin tone at the bottom little thing medium or light, medium or deep, I think it says, And then and then you play around the contrasts.
Speaker 1: Gray scale is really tough, it is. I do feel like it's photography. Yeah, yeah, not low contrast. No, you're not low, not high. I think I'm mid. I think your medium. I think that actually to me looking at you, you're not mid, You're just medium contrast? Do I have light or medium skin? Tongue? M I feel like a light medium? I know, try light. Yeah, let's start. I think I'm medium to high. Well, and Carleen, you did you?
Speaker 5: Okay, it's tough, so just your light skin, yes, and then you can just tap those Gosh, I'm.
Speaker 4: Definitely not high. Uh medium, I think I'm probably medium. What do you think of my lighter?
Speaker 5: You don't like the light on you. No, I'm medium, so you can and then you guys, uh, I'm going to accidentally post.
Speaker 1: This embarrassing swipe to the right. So that's medium for Carleen. So all four of us are medium. This filter works really well. That's hig. I think you should look in the mirror and put on the kind of makeup. Yeah you feel me.
Speaker 5: I was just about to say the most respected makeup artists that I follow, Katie Jane Hughes, who's been on our show. I think I think the thing with makeup when we're just regular girlies, we're trying to get ready, people do want rules because they're not sure what to do, and they're just like, I need to get out the door. How do I make sure I don't look like a clown? And so they're like, what do I put with this and that? And I think most makeup artists would say it erases the fun of makeup, It erases the play element, and anybody can really wear red lip. It's just about the confidence to pull it off. So don't get all bogged down in these filters and these rules, because they can be very confusing, and most makeup artists are confused by this filter. By the way, that's been the consensus online. They're like, it's kind of maybe because everybody ends up being meeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're pausing the party for just a moment to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: Stay with us.
Speaker 3: And we're back. Okay, next up. Before we share this next story, I want to start with a question. How competitive are you when it comes to winning an argument.
Speaker 1: I like to have the last word. I love the honesty. I love the vulnerability and the honesty. We're like sisters.
Speaker 5: Yes, after seven years of podcast, how about you, Carlyn?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say I'm pretty competitive.
Speaker 1: Okay, Danielle, I'm going to give you my therapized answer.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I want the I want the pre therapy answer. I want the unhealed answer.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: The real answer is I feel like if you're not on the same team when you're arguing, you're doing it wrong.
Speaker 1: Like you really have to see and hear each other. So not competitive at all. Wow, that's very evolved. It is very useful.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it's depends on the day. Sometimes I'm super competitive and sometimes I don't care. But I came across a headline in the New York Post that really threw me for a loop. Here's the headline. It says, couples are using AI to fight and win arguments. This is where we are now, This is humanity in twenty twenty four. So the article shares various stories of couples who are actually turning to chat GPT to help them win their arguments. One person on Reddit said that every time they have a disagreement, the girlfriend will quote go away and discuss the argument with chat GPT, even sometimes while.
Speaker 1: In the same room.
Speaker 3: Wow, you can't reveal your secrets, Yes, you to at least pretend like you're doing it all on your own journal exactly. And then this girlfriend will come back with a well constructed argument, breaking down everything her partner said or did during the argument.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think about this?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, my first thought is one more tool against the patriarchy, So I am here for it. But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think, like sometimes I think walking away from our argument is never a bad thing if you're really heated and whatnot, and you're just like, I need to gather my thoughts so I don't explode or say something I regret. So that's always a good thing. But what I trust a computer to maybe like formulate an argument on my behalf.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I would.
Speaker 5: Necessarily, And also, like who is inputting the information. It's only as smart as who's writing, you know, or what information is gathering from the web, so we don't know where they're gathering it from.
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly. I think there's potential in this. But what surprises me about this story is that it's not the man going off and consulting touch to be yes. In my opinion, the women like we have our arguments covered. It was like we were born to argue right our way out of things and convince people of things. But a lot of males are just not in touch with, you know, their feelings. They're not thinking like they just think so differently. So they kind of need chat GBT and the women need to frontload it with you know, the data, and then we can talk to each other.
Speaker 1: So I think we can maybe use this tool to our advantage. I think we can.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of starting off with chat GBT before you get into the argument, formulate your ideas. I mean, that's always something that I do whenever I have a big conversation. I don't necessarily go to chatt but I, you know, kind of write down on my talking points and whatnot. You know, I think it'd be fun to kind of spice things up, Like why not like tell chat GPT to put it in like a character's voice, you know, like you know, like write me an argument in the voice of Miranda Priestley from Devilware's product, and then you could like read that script and then that could just you.
Speaker 1: Know, spice up the argument a little.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or if you want your marriage, or if you want to be very diplomatic in the style of Dear Abby, you know something like that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really do you have you ever? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's say, like if you were in an argument with a friend and you like, you know, wanted to come up with a way to have an argument with this person in like a way that wasn't super passive aggressive.
Speaker 1: Have you ever consulted chat GBT? Okay, Simone is putting me on blast because I did this stop it. Yeah, obsessed.
Speaker 2: I was in New York a few weeks ago and I had like a I have I hadn't had a day off in a while. I was really like on a mission kind of okay, and my first Sunday off in like three weeks. A girlfriend of mine was very sweet, picked me up in the morning from the place I was staying and took me and my luggage to a hotel.
Speaker 1: She has a car, which is, you know, rare in New York. So she's very kind. And then she she tricked me because I get in the car and she's like, hey, can you come help me move my mattress? Oh boy? And I'm like, I'm thirty three. I don't want to move a mattress. Can you tip your maintenance man?
Speaker 2: Like I yeh no, And so she's like please, like I helped you, and I was like, oh, I feel so tricked. Yeah, So anyways, I couldn't I go and I help her with her mattress. And while we're pulling the new mattress out of the box, which by the way, I didn't know how heavy mattresses are very heavy. I'm pulling the new mattress out of the box and her dog comes and bites my foot really bad, really bad, Like I have a scar right now, are you really bad? I was bleeding, I was I was in shock. It was really painful, and I kind of have a high pain tolerance, so it was like pretty bad. So I was flustered, and I was like, I gotta go, Like I just wanted to leave and go back to the hotel for the hospital. I actually went to the doctor the following day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyways, she I don't hear from her. The following morning, she texts me and she says, Hey, how's the foot. And I was like, I'm really taking it back by both the content and the timing of your message, Like, I can't believe you didn't check in sooner.
Speaker 1: Your dog tore my photo.
Speaker 2: Bart Yeah, and she went haywire, like she started sending me paragraphs of how I left her high and dry with the mattress and she had nowhere to sleep.
Speaker 1: And I was like, girlfriend, your daughter fit me. That's the brideline.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: So we're going back and forth and now I'm not a heated person.
Speaker 1: I'm getting heated. So I was like, you know what, I'm going to chat GPT. This is smart for texting.
Speaker 3: She do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I go to chat GPT. I put our conversation in the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then I say, can you please share a reply that is thoughtful, kind and not passive aggressive?
Speaker 1: In terms of what she should have said to me.
Speaker 2: Came up with four sentences that was so good, and I sent it to her and I said, after reading all this, I think this is what you could have shared instead, Like I'm not, I don't this is really selfish.
Speaker 1: I send it to her and she goes it sounds like a computer wrote that. She called you, Oh my god. But honestly, she does not have a leg to stand on. I know we talked.
Speaker 2: I think she was harboring some feelings that were coming up from the past a previous. It sounds like it was a bigger thing, So I take some accountability here. However, in that particular situation.
Speaker 1: No leg to stand on.
Speaker 2: But chat GPT kind of saved me because otherwise I think I would have gone off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you were the one with no leg to stand on, Actually you're.
Speaker 1: Very quick with it. Okay, So we came across this concept.
Speaker 2: That's for anyone who doesn't want to wait until the new year to accomplish their fitness goals. So all across TikTok this week you can find people talking about the winter arc.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of this? Yes, I hadn't heard of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Basically, if you're like me and haven't heard of this, the Winter Arc is considered muscular self improvement strategy that is not for whimps, and promise is to be the ultimate way to hit your personal goals, your development, and your growth.
Speaker 1: I still don't know what that means. I think it means a rebrand. I think that needs a rebrand. Basically, it's designed to give you a head start to the new year. But here's the catch. You have to give up everything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of reminding me of that seventy five hard trend. Yes, or some people were doing it like ninety day Hard, which is basically like three workouts a day. Like people are out here with like weighted vests on, like they're going in to battle, and I'm just like this, this is wild.
Speaker 1: It's so much pressure. But I think what happens at the end of a year.
Speaker 5: You're sitting there, you're maybe reviewing your journal from earlier in the year, and you didn't like accomplish your goals, and it's like this pressure to get something done by the end of the year. And they're like, I'm going to get hot by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: So well, they said you have to wake up at five thirty am, drink leads of water. Yeah, say, no girlfriends, relationships or self pleasure. You have to hit the gym six times a week. Talk users said no other human contact, which I guess is kind of a joke but not really, and no other pleasures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think it's a way somebody just decided that instead of hibernating and watching home alone, that you know, you should be utilizing that time and taking you know, making the most of it. The only way this would apply to my real life is because we're at the end of the year, Like if you have any kind of insurance, like for me, I'm like I need all the massages, I need all of those appointments to use up that money that I've already paid or it's just going to go in the trash, Like that's what I would do. But also for beauty, this is a time when if you're a beauty girly in the fall, in the winter, when you want to go get your lasers, like all of those treatments that you don't want to do in the summer because it's the sun is basically going to undo hit an undoe button on all of those expensive treatments. So that's what probably we would be doing if we had a winter are Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think?
Speaker 3: So clearly this was created by a member of the male species, probably on steroids. Yes, I hate everything about this. You know, fitness can be about joy and it can be about feeling good, and there's so much beauty in fitness and wellness and personal development. This is stripping away all of that. And when we do that, these wellness habits become completely unsustainable. I don't like the seventy five hard thing because you're you're punishing yourself for seventy five days and then after that you are going to need some form of release because you are a human being and we're not meant to live this way. It's also like not sustainable for someone like me who's a mom. I basically have like thirty minutes every day where I can work out.
Speaker 1: Let's not do this. This is so toxic and like we can just we can.
Speaker 3: Enjoy our workouts and our wellness and drink water and also still watch Home Alone and Little Women and drink pumpkins Byelot.
Speaker 5: I'm a big fan of just like following nature. There's a reason all the animals hibernate in the winter. Yeah, why am I gonna go against nature? Like, honestly, it's just not it doesn't feel right. Yeah, And it's so much pressure on yourself. And what if you missed one day at the gym or you you know, call an ex boyfriend or whatever. Like, it's just not You're not gonna feel good about yourself.
Speaker 4: This whole conversation is reminding me that I need to start writing in my five minute journal again though, Yeah, because I was doing that for probably half the year, and then I think it fell off in the summer. You know, summer you kind of kick off and relax, and I never got back to it. So maybe that is a bit of the winter arc. I'm like, I'm gonna that's going to get back into my manifesting journal.
Speaker 1: Let's feminize the winter arc. Can we change this? Yeah, let's make it work for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna journal's laser laser hair removal.
Speaker 1: This is the time for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel so informed after this conversation, like I am ready to take on the beauty world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 2: Also, I think you have two new listeners now, oh oh yeah, wow to hear it, Breaking Beauty.
Speaker 1: You really know what you're talking about, curiously. Carlene Higgins, Jill Dunn, thank you so much, Thank you.
Speaker 2: This was so fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Jill Done and Carlene Higgins co host the podcast Breaking Beauty. We have to take another short break, but we'll be back in just a minute. Don't go anywhere, we're back, Okay, Danielle. It's Friday. Let's get ready for the weekend with a What's in Your Cart segment presented by Walmart. Welcome to your Walmart.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This time of year, I love to cuddle up with a cozy blanket and a good book and spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon immersing myself in a story.
Speaker 1: What are you reading right now?
Speaker 2: I just finished reading Society of Lies by Lauren Ling Brown, which is Reese's book club pick for October.
Speaker 1: It was so good, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: It's such a juicy, twisty murder mystery, perfect thing to read this time of year, and.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to have her on the show next week. Yeah, we're so lucky. But here's the thing with all these amazing books. My living room is turning into a library, and I'm running out of places to put all the books. These color coded bookshelves are fulsome, so I've been stuffing them in my kitchen cabinets, under my bed. There's some underneath my sofa. I'm one book away from being a hoarder. And I looked around my apartment last weekend and I thought, I can't live like this anymore. So I went to Walmart and I got a brand new bookshelf.
Speaker 1: Oh good for you.
Speaker 2: They have so many choices, and I got this beautiful one from the Better Homes and Garden collection.
Speaker 1: Are you feeling better yet? Yes?
Speaker 2: I feel so out of control when things are unorganized, so I'm climbing back to feeling like myself.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I have a bunch of new books coming, so I feel like I need another trip to Walmart.
Speaker 1: Do you want to come over to my house and do mine next? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: I love color coding. It's a deal.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 1: That's it for today's show, thanks to our partners at Walmart.
Speaker 2: On Monday, we're joined by author Lauren link Brown, whose debut novel, Society of Lies, is the October pick for Reese's book Club. Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christ Ripple. Our senior producers are Itsy Quintania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamatt.
Speaker 2: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruska. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 3: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson. Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser. Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robey on Instagram and TikTok that's ro O b A Y.
Speaker 1: We'll see you Monday, y'all, keep looking on the bright side.