Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reisent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all, this is your favorite podcast, Native Lamb Pod, and this is our weekly mini pod. I'm Angela Rie with my co host Tiffany Crost and Andrew Gilliam and today we are going to start with a listener question and jump right into something that's probably got a lot of our minds.
Speaker 4: Greetings, Angela, Andrew and Tiffany, the trifecta of the Native Land Podcast. And my name is Keith Singleton, coming from Atlanta, Georgia. We found out the President of Joe Biden has dropped out of the twenty twenty four presidential election. I was saddened by that, however, I was elated with his endorsement of Kamala Harris for president, the top of the ticket for the Democratic presidency. For me, it's the only choice, any other choice. I am not staying with the Democratic Party. I'm going somewhere else and it's not going to be the Republican Party or that grand old Party. Again, thank you for taking the time to look at my video. Hope this helps out again. You're listening to the Native Land podcast The Innovators of US Politics.
Speaker 5: Keith.
Speaker 3: We're so grateful for your comments, y'all. Make sure you keep them coming. I thought that we could use this, y'all as a jumping off point for what should Joe Biden do with the rest of his term? Well, we know that he just recently did not only dropping out of the presidential race was just historic in and of itself, but endorsing Kamala Harris on that same day, saying that she was the person that could take the party in this country to the next level. It is so important that he continues to solidify his legacy with the rest of his term. So since on this podcast, we like to keep our managination as Tiffany always challenges us, and our good brother Andrew challenges us.
Speaker 6: Y'all when you dream big, What does.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden accomplish for the rest of his term.
Speaker 1: I don't know if legally he can do some of these things, but definitely federal pardons, which we know he can legally do through the DJ Parton office. Obviously for Marilyn Moseby, Angela works so hard on that, but multiple other people I would like to see more non violent offenders pardon, and not in a way that's safe, you know, like, oh, but what will the Republicans say, Like if you want to pardon the fifty thousand people, like do it? There are people sitting. I mean, what happens in our prisons is inhumane. I used to focus on that a lot. And when you take away somebody's liberty, like it needs to be like no other choice. And we've just been adversely impacted by a very punishing criminal justice system. So pardons is probably at the top of my list. Legally, I don't know if he can do this, but a federal protection for bodily autonomy for women, I think if he can pull that off, i'd like to see that. And if we're really letting our imaginations just like run free, imagine in America that is fair and you know, for the people, by the people. Other people include us reparations. I think reparations is something in a form. It may not be cash payments, maybe as land, maybe it's home ownership. Maybe we don't pay taxes for the rest of our lives. Whatever that looks like. See, I would like them to be bold enough to do that. So off the top of my head, those are the three things I'd say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the courts, the courts, the courts, the courts, the courts, the courts, the courts. I just think now he is trying to do that. No, no, no, but that's I mean, for it to be done, there's a lot that is intended, which means that they are going to have to be likely some maneuvers that Center Democrats are going to have to make within their rule making process, within the accommodations that they have been willing to make to Republicans up to this point. I mean, we've even seen under Mitchell mcconnoll's leadership where they had basically temporary suspensions of the sixty sixty vote rule, and they brought that they've used that process instead of preventively like they have used it toward the Democrats to prevent Democrats from moving along nominations and slowing down the process. I'd like to see us use it the other way. I'd like Schumer, hopefully with the support of all forty nine other fifty other Democrats, be willing to make some rule changes in order to get the president's agenda around the courts through the process. I think they're going to be Republicans who are critical enough of the Supreme Court that they may be willing to come with us in the House to get a bill through. And I think obviously we'll have to do what we can in the Senate. And then lastly on the courts is the appointments of of judges. Uh, this process has been slowan by Republicans to to screeching Holpe, You've got Senate Republicans who are from states where vacancies occur, who have literally stood, you know, figuratively stood in the doorway from letting any nominations get through. They will not provide slips, I forget what they call them, maybe blue slips or or angela you may know, the terminology which basically green lights the name of the person coming from their state to move forward in that committee process. I mean, the only that was just on the course. And then the last thing I'll throw in there is just we've got a letter already out there on the on the Fearless Fund. I'd love to see the President take very simple action as it relates to what is being requested by the Fearless Fund, which is additional protection in an executive order to expand on that protection.
Speaker 3: The Fearless Fund is actually where I was going to go to if you know, it's so important for us to understand. Fearless Fund is one of many victims of you know, a people and an infrastructure that is trying so diligently to keep us back from and keeping us out of equitable outcomes they you know, and one hand, it's like you didn't earn it. You there's affirmative action policy that you shouldn't be able to be a part of. You didn't earn it. You shouldn't be able to to to go to schools to get funding with us, to get access to capital, so you start your own thing, and then they target you for that. So I absolutely think there should be an executive order not only protecting entities like the Fearless Fund, but really doing the disparity studies necessary across the board, in every industry, in every organization, and all of all systems of education to demonstrate why discriminatory impact is still just as significant as discriminatory intent. You cannot prove intent without the data. The data is there. We all know it, we've seen it, we've witnessed it, so we need something some federal protection visavie executive order to help us get across.
Speaker 6: That finish line. I think the other thing that I want.
Speaker 3: To see him do is an executive order on voting rights. Everything that they've said in the past, the Supreme Court is said has not been the makeup of this court. So I believe if Donald Trump was were in office, they would give him broad sweeping authority on executive orders. I think Joe Biden should test that leading up to the fall.
Speaker 6: I really do. I think that he should go hard on executive orders.
Speaker 3: Like he's If you can legislate from the bench, certainly you can do it from the oval and prove them wrong.
Speaker 6: So yes on abortion or reproductive justice.
Speaker 3: Yes on affirmative action and equitable outcomes and opportunities. Yes on everything else and voting rights, all the things that we know that we need, and reparations. Absolutely So I like all those answers.
Speaker 1: Well, I know we were just focused on domestic policy, but I would add to that, I would revisit some of our foreign policy as well. This is in the world of you know, a blank wall that we can create democracy ourselves on what it looks like, because you know, I don't know how realistic this is, but I would certainly rethink our allyship with the State of Israel. You know, Israel is a nuclear power and a powerful entity, largely because of the United States funds. What we've seen in just the abhorrent things that we've seen happen in Gaza, and now it used to be an unsafe thing to even say this. And I think we can stand an allyship with our Jewish brothers and sisters, but we mainly stand on the right side of what is good and righteous, and what we're seeing happening there is not that, and the money being used to fund the inhumane treatment there. I would hope that President Biden could reconsider. I would also realign our foreign policy to some of the shifting foreign powers that we actually see. It kind of feels like the United States is like, you know, few decades behind the rest of the world on when it comes to global powers. So that's from a foreign policy expert, but also a few decades behind even when it comes to infrastructure. When you look at public transit in other countries and they're bullet trains and you know their streets and you know just how different countries look. So I would love to see some some change.
Speaker 2: On that side as well.
Speaker 1: And you know, I have to say watching when I do watch news and it is not domestic news, you really would be, you know, just terrified when you look at what's happening in the country. And I'm as I said on our main podcast, I hope you guys tune in if you haven't already.
Speaker 2: I could see an all out.
Speaker 1: War happening in the Middle East, and that would not benefit Vice President Harris. I do think, unfortunately, that would likely benefit Donald Trump for this country to see its first female commander in chief, and so that definitely has my attention as well as if there's something that Joe Biden could do before he left office to stay that state of unrest, that would also be helpful.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, well, we are going to take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: I think our brother Andrew is gone.
Speaker 6: I was just about to say, Andrew Andrew dropped.
Speaker 2: Andrew got dial up, like y'all said about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we all do today. Mine is even recording on here. They got local audio recording. But Andrew I wanted to come back to him because he it looked like the cameras feed was picking up and then it dropped. But I was also gonna say, I have one that is kind of petty, but I think some of the things should be done like right away.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I for a long time on this podcast have been calling for Mary Garland's resignation. I think he should just appoint another head of the Department of Justice. I don't think that this Department of Justice there air failures around Tulsa. You know, the shortcomings around some of the police killings that we've seen and their inability to reach a conclusion on investigations. The targeting of black prosecutors, black elected officials, including our own brother Andrew, under this Department of Justice. For failure to revisit any of Trump's targeted prosecutions is highly problematic. They have been non responsive to what we know is a necessary justice for the Tulsa Race massacre survivors. We have lost one since this administration has been in with Uncle Red's passing. So it's time for these folks to get and receive the justice they deserve, and their descendants to get and receive the justice they deserve. If that can happen under Merit Garland's watch, then we should get a new attorney general. So that's another thing that I think he should do before he leaves, appoint someone else at DOJ.
Speaker 1: Well, since we're imagining things, is there, do you have someone in mind for attorney general under know.
Speaker 3: Who would be so good? I would be so excited about it. I don't know if she's gonna come back to the administration.
Speaker 2: Marcia Fudge really as Attorney general.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that Marcia Fudge does not play. She is so serious about voting right. She was great on that issue as chair. She cares deeply about children and snap benefits and equal education opportunities. She has an organizing arm behind her as a former president of a Delta Sigma Theta. Like I think that, and she does not let me tell you about October babies.
Speaker 6: She's gonna go hard in the paint. She get right up there and be like, let me tell you what you're not gonna do. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So Marcia Fudge is a former congresswoman of Ohio. She left Congress to lead HUD under the Biden administration. She since I left, and as Angela said, former president ADULTA Sigma Theta.
Speaker 6: She would be a gangster. Yeah, the other person who would be really good is a girl can dream. I would like Ben Crump.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like that.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 6: I think that it's time that.
Speaker 3: The the department that sits in the j Edgar Hoover Building, can you.
Speaker 6: Also rename that with an executive order? By the way, but.
Speaker 3: If he's not going to rename that, I would like to see somebody who fights for the civil rights of all people running it, like just as an a front end to j Edgar Hoover.
Speaker 6: Just like this on the building.
Speaker 1: So I have to be I hate to be a dream damper, but I do wonder with all the things that the DLJ is responsible for, would Ben Krunk be ideal.
Speaker 2: In that space? I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I know we all know Ben and love Ben, but like when it comes to foreign policies and.
Speaker 3: And just read this that Benkrupt should be the Attorney General. And I would just remind Tiff that you know, everybody, I mean, there are divisions, and just to get the back.
Speaker 5: As well, I would just say Justice Katanji Brown Jackson comes from the tradition of being a public defender in the federal court system, which is unprecedented, unheard of to be appointed to the Supreme Court. We have to do the same thing with the U. S. Attorney attorneys general because we've we've looked almost exclusively at prosecutors as a you know, tried and true guaranteed must have in order to be a US attorney or the Attorney General. And the truth is the legal system is much more complex than that. There are many way matters of accountability with injustice, and I'd love to see someone who comes from a different seated background with a respect for the law to come in there and shake it up.
Speaker 6: Public defend Okay, I have one more idea, James.
Speaker 1: I could get with his James, Sure, James, But now y'all got just kind of sold on the Ben Crump thing, Like I like the idea of a public defender.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, he's a public as a public.
Speaker 1: I know he's not now, but he never worked as a public defend Okay.
Speaker 7: No, but his his his alignment with the the intersections of law and justice, both through the civil as well as the criminal uh elements that he's represented that he's worked at.
Speaker 5: Because of the nature of his work, he's gotten to get involved with these families who sit at the intersection of prosecutions as well as victimhood within the criminal justice system, long before you ever typically see civil attorneys getting engaged and involved. He's there from day zero, oftentimes ushering these families through the criminal justice process and then being there as a backstop when the civil side kicks up and kick in. I just think his nuanced understanding is different than really much of what we can find anywhere wholesale endorser.
Speaker 2: I like that idea.
Speaker 6: Guess what. I love you guys.
Speaker 5: Sorry I missed half of it.
Speaker 6: We gotta keep dreaming. No, no, Andrew, you did good.
Speaker 3: And the sad part was as soon as your camera went on then it went right out. So we're gonna make sure that we have a part two on that so we can keep dreaming big and for everybody else, we thank you so much for tuning in. Please remember to rate, review, subscribe, say your mam and m to subscribe and tune in to our regular episodes would drop every single Thursday.
Speaker 6: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,