Speaker 1: You know who it is, Big Loon. We got trapped Lord Ross. Today We're gonna be talking about a lot of things. You know, It's a lot of information to be spoken about. It's a lot of game to be had. He's been instrumental in a bunch of things that I've took a liking to. But I do think that there's some pushback that needs to be had. This dude is a content creator of the highest form. Right over the last couple of days, they've been kind of mashing him up with ten ninety Jake. He's a little different than Jake though, he actually is a content creator like and I'll get to some of his his way of coming in the coach and how he got here and all of that. But it's gonna be a good one. It's gonna be a great conversation. He's been welcoming to all questions and all criticism, and he's been able to sit with people like academics, King Vaughan's old manager, Adam twenty two, a lot of those people I've had on my platform as well. But you know, I'm Big Loan. So for those of you that's knew around here, which I don't know if anyone that has not saw my face. I'm the dude that is taking over right when we talk about podcasting, I'm the guy that went and got a couple of deals. I did a little babies roll out, money bag yo, rollout. So I'm one of the biggest you know, and also the real ones check in with me. So if you guys got questions, if you guys want to interact with the conversation, it's definitely a situation where we're gonna We're gonna definitely let you guys in on it. So I am here. What's going on? My god?
Speaker 2: What's good man? Good to connect, Good to be here finally. Sorry, sorry it took me so long to settle and get to you, but I'm here now. I'm excited to talk.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Good man, I've been seeing you making you round, so I know you've been a busy guy after that King Vaughn thing came out, so I know how that works. Definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was crazy, man, because you know, I've been doing this for a few years, but I never had I never had a tension on this level.
Speaker 3: You know. I had a lot of different.
Speaker 2: People asking me for interviews, for appearances, for debates, so it's been a lot to handle. But I got shout out Adam twenty two man, because he told me, I got checking with you. He said, I've got to make sure that this one happens.
Speaker 1: So that's my man.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my guy, Adam. That's my guy. Man. I went out there and dealt with Adam. We talked behind the scenes, out of time. Adam's running the multi million dollar business. I'm running a multi million dollar business, so we talk all the time about those things. Shout out Adam, shout out, no jump. But he's been he's hey, he's headed rough here lately.
Speaker 3: It's been up and down for him.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's been like you say, you know, it's tough. You know, I'm not I'm not a multimillion dollar business yet, but you know what I'm saying, I'm still grinding. I'm coming a long way over the list few months. But I look up to Adam a lot, and you know, I can tell that his operation, there's a lot going on, you know, a lot of people to keep happy. So I know it's been a tough, tough, tough situation for him the past few months. But you know what I mean, I got love for Adam, I got love for all of the guys that you know, we're on No Jumper and on anymore. You know, it was really sad to kind of see that that breakup happened. But you know what I'm saying, I love all those guys and I know they're going to keep winning.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, there my guys, ad them, my guys, Adam, my guy. You know, it's business at the end of the day. You know, me and Adam talked the other day. I say, yo, you took a hit. But he just got to basically find his chicken sandwich, you know, like Pope's, Like the menu was the menu, but when they introduced their chicken sandwich, the line was wrapped around the building. So now he has to just figure out what that is to his audience. And I believe he has an opportunity to do so. So it'll just be it'll just be a process of finding what that new niche is. He may have to walk completely away from you know, what he was doing at first with those guys, right and just try to plug more people in. He may have to kind of re you know, reimagine what he wants to do on camera. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, I think what's good is that he seems to have, you know, checked in with some new interesting people. You know, he's got caught brick Baby. You know, I'm a big fan of brick Baby, and I think he's great on camera. So you know what I'm saying, it's it's a good opportunity for new talent to come through. You know, I'm still watching, still watching back on fig Community, but you know, new talent on No Jump is interesting too, man, So it's it's kind of good to see what's going on. Obviously it's tough, but hell man, you know there's a lot of a lot of podcast beefs over the year, and you know, the big whole Joe Budden breakup was obviously a big thing I was into.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, ain't need to running the podcast out here.
Speaker 1: That's where I got on you from. And I want my audience to know because I know they want me to like and we're gonna have some conversations about all of the King Vaughn and some of that shit. But I know they want me to get him long, like talk to him about this shit loan because you're the guy, and we'll get to talk about it. But I do want people to know that I do respect what you do, right I saw. I remember when I first saw you on the Joe Budden podcast Breakup. I said, oh, this dude, I actually pitched you to a big company and I just didn't reach out to you just yet. But but I'll talk to you behind the scenes about a few things. But you know, the way you do that documentary style thing is just I really appreciate that, right, I want you to know that. And that's before the King Vaughn thing. Now, the King Vaughn thing, it sent waves through the culture because.
Speaker 2: I wasn't expecting it, to be honest, it was more than I was. I was dogging for.
Speaker 1: I know it. Tell me, tell me your upbringing before we get to all of that stuff. Tell the people where you're from, how you were born and raised, things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I'm happy to talk about that. So I was born in London, or sort of like an area that's sort of the south of London. Some people say it's not London, some people say it is, but area called Croydon, which is kind of you know, it's got a little bit of a reputation, but you know, at the same time, you know, I lived there till I was about five or six, and then my family relocated to a very small town on the south coast of England. You probably never heard of this town, but it's a town called Bognor, Regis. It's a very small town. It's by the seaside, by the beach. You know, I'll be honest, it's not a very diverse town. You know, it's sort of a very kind of simple British people. Not to disrespect them, but it's you know, it's a small town, you know, small, small opportunities.
Speaker 3: Not a lot going on there.
Speaker 2: But the funny thing is, man, you know, I grew up loving hip hop and where I'm from it's not a very hip hop place, you know where in the UK. You know, London's really the big place for hip hop. But I moved out of London when I was very young. But fortunately I grew up just when the Internet was really kind of hitting, and so I was a young kid, you know, nine ten years old on the Internet, downloading music, listening to people like jay Z fifty seven, Eminem and you know, my parents didn't understand I had two older brothers that were super into hip hop, and really I was just like an internet baby, you know, I was. I was kind of getting raised by rappers on the Internet. Listening to all of these stories, you know, the success, the danger, the lifestyle, the ups and downs. Like I say, people like jay Z, you know, listening to his story coming from the Massy Projects where I was growing up at the time, was just you know, it's the complete opposite. You know, no pun intended, but it was black and white day and night. What I was living to what I was hearing in these songs about people like jay Z, them dmx eminem was it was fascinating to me, honestly, and I was just in love with hip hop. You know, I didn't have many friends that liked hip hop. But like I said, I grew up in a very small, boring town. You know, not much happened, you know, there wasn't there wasn't much going on.
Speaker 1: So what would you say? What would you say? Because I know your love from hip hop is there. I think a lot of people share that across the world.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Hip hop is just such a magnet, right, It's something that draws people to it. But it's our culture. Right, So where did where did you gain your understanding of it? Not your love for it, but your understanding because that's a little different, and that's when you get into the weeds. Right, your love for it could have you speak on something that you may not understand. So now we got to figure out where the understanding of hip hop and that culture comes from. Seeing that you did grow up in the area that really didn't have all all of what we've been through, right, Like me, did you ever did you ever do backwards flips on mattresses or play football up the heel or nick knock or do you even know what nick knock is? Or like you know some of these things what our culture grew up in. It's like where did where did you get your understanding of it? Was it through the music?
Speaker 3: Is nick knock?
Speaker 2: Is that like when you knock on the door and run away in the UK? In the UK we call that knockdown ginger?
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's different, different verbis yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I'll be honest, man, you know, like I say, you know, it begun with the music and really it was you know, it was another world to me. I'll be honest, you know, and I think you make a good point. You know, I understand I understood the music, but I didn't understand the culture. You know, I'd never uh, I'd never been to some of the places I was hearing about in this music. It was only through the internet, you know, listening to them, listening to the songs, and like reading the lyrics. You know, when you get like a back in the day, you'd get CD. You'd actually buy album, you know, like the Blueprint or something on CD, and sometimes you might have or on vinyl and it might have all the lyrics you know, in the booklet or stuff like that, you know. And I would really study hip hop and the rappers that I was into, and honestly just the details, you know. And for me, I think it was actually like a case that I kind of knew I didn't have that cultural understanding of the music, and I was really just trying to learn as much as I possibly could, you know, I think I was always just really hungry and thirsty to know about hip hop, Like these artists were inspiring me, and you know, I wanted to learn more about jay Z's past. I wanted to know what, what's it like in New York? You know, what is the massie projects, Like what's the history of these places? Like and really just between listening to the music, you know, doing research on the internet that type of thing. You know, I just I was just obsessed with hip hop and these rappers that are idolized and then over the years, you know, I just learned more about it.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: An interesting transition because when I was eighteen, I moved to London. I kind of moved back to like the center of London. And you know, London's interesting because, you know, unlike where I grew up. You know, London is very multicultural. You've got a lot of people from different backgrounds. You know, Black Asian you know, obviously is a big Asian sort of community in the UK.
Speaker 3: You know, people of.
Speaker 2: Indian and Pakistani descent especially, as well like Afro Caribbean people from you know, different areas, different countries in Africa and stuff like that. So it was interesting for me. I kind of moved back to London and you know, I'll just be real with you. You know, I came from a place.
Speaker 3: That was very white.
Speaker 2: You know, there weren't really many black people growing up where I grew up. You know, we probably had like one black dude in our school realistically, and you know, when I moved to London, it was just more multicultural.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'd like to think of myself as pretty open minded. You know, the rappers and the people I idolized growing up a lot of successful Can you.
Speaker 1: Be open minded if you didn't grow up around us, Like, how do you develop that?
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one because I think for me, because I listened to so much hip hop music, I think I was just open minded to black culture in general. It wasn't necessarily just hip hop music, like black comedians too. I used to love deaf comedy jam Dave Chappelle, like way back, you know before obviously Chappelle was always big, but like where he's at now, you know, when I was a kid, it was like early Chappelle's show he was doing like Live at the fillmore deaf comedy jam, And I guess I was just really I just liked black culture. I just I found black comedians funny, and I found a lot of white comedians not as funny, or I just it's funny because it's like I can't really say I related to it more because I didn't live that experience. But at the same time, you know, all I would listen to is hip hop music. I didn't relate to the pop music that my friends were listening to at school. I couldn't get into it. I didn't like it. I wanted to listen to jay Z, I wanted to listen to DMX, I wanted to listen to NAS and you know, to be honest, I guess it's just a case of like that, I would probably say that were racist people.
Speaker 3: You know, where I grew up, it's very white.
Speaker 1: Clothes, That's what I'm saying. So okay, So let's focus on the words, right because you say that yo, I was open minded, but where I'm from it racist people. And so at some point you want us to believe that you're the only one that came out of there without the racism on them. You see what I'm saying now. I don't know, but for the sake of conversation, we got ahead a conversation. If you come from a place where it's mostly one black dude in the school, how do you get from that to speaking on black culture? And then number two, my second question would be, let's focus on the words of open minded or infatuated? Were you just infatuated with culture? Because I was infatuated with my own culture as a youngster, Like you say, def comedy, jam, the rap stuff. But for you to be open minded would kind of speak to an understanding. You see what I'm saying. Open minded does it speak to engaging with or like listening to or you know, seeking after it? Kind of open minded, in my opinion, speaks to an understanding of of that culture. So help me with those two questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess the way I see it is it's just like, you know, I gained a lot of understanding and knowledge about hip hop through listening to hip hop music. It's the only genre that I wanted to listen to, you know, I think, and you know, I don't think it's necessarily fair to say if I'm from an area that's like predominantly white and there are a lot of racist people, that that necessarily makes me racist. You know, I left that area I moved to London.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make you racist. But you do come from you know, your environment does dictate your outlook, right, and it's hard for me to believe that you can come from a place where you see no black people at all, and not that you're racist. Right. I don't want to say you're racist, because I don't think you're racist. I really believe you enjoy our culture. But I think your understanding of some things that happen in the culture can be off a little bit. And that's why we're going to have a conversation to kind of see where we live at, Like what can we do to either figure out Oh yeah, fuck, I didn't think about that, or no, I thought about that, But this is just how I look at it. Right, So I'm thinking when you come from and I don't want to hang up on this a lot, but if you come from a place where you see one black person, right, first of all, how did you discover hip hop? Was it the internet? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So first off, let me just jump back.
Speaker 2: I think I just want to make it clear out I don't necessarily really agree with that premise as far as like if you're from an area that is, say, predominantly white, that you're going to be racist. You know, for example, like if you come from an area that's high crime, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be a criminal, you know what I'm saying. So, but what you won't see crunch the person by their environment they're from, if you get what I'm saying. So it's kind of like, you know, I just I just want to make it clear, like I don't think that me being from an area that's predominantly white necessarily should should lead to like an assumption being made about the type of person I am. You know, I want to be judged on my actions and the content of my character rather than where I'm from or the color of my skin.
Speaker 1: You know you will be. What I'm saying is I'm not speaking to your behavior. I'm speaking to your understanding. So I'm speaking to if I grow up in a house where domestic violence is prevalent, when I come outside of it at home, I don't see that as abnormal. I don't see when I see a man fight a woman, I don't see that as abnormal because that's all I saw growing up. So I'm speaking about your understanding, not your behavior. You're talking to me about your behavior. I'm talking about if I come from a place where I've seen no bugs all my life and then I come in your house and see a bug, I'm going to react in a certain way because I have no understanding of it. It's gonna be like, oh, what the fuck is that? I've never grew up, I've never seen that. Oh how nasty? All y'all have those what the fuck is that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: It could be something that calls it. It could be your neighbors. It could be your neighbors are nasty to cause their buck. I have no understanding on bugs at all. So all I know is I've never saw it, so I was. I'm more so speaking about your behavior. I mean your understanding, not your behavior. Cause again I want to say that you look at our culture and you enjoyed, you participate in it. Like I'm telling you, I've watched your content. Bro, you you bust raps like you're not just some guy who you know is just flavorless and just jumped into this, right, But your understanding is what we're just gonna live at a second. But to that, what do you say? Cause again I'm speaking of understanding, not behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know the thing that I think I think it's really clear to like try and communicate is you know the environment that I grew up in, maybe that was predominantly white. I didn't feel like I fit in not that I identify as black or something crazy like that. But all the artists that I was listening to, not all of them, because you've got plenty of you know, successful good white artists that I was listening to growing up, people like Eminem or you know, other kind of white rappers that were popular. But the people I idolized were predominantly black. You know, I was a young white guy in a predominantly white area, but the posters on my wall were successful black men that I looked up to and idolized. I mean, I'll be honest, I don't have that experience. I didn't grow up in an area that you know, I didn't grow up in a predominantly black area with some of the maybe, for example, the socioeconomic problems that you know, might go on in some of those areas traditionally, right, So I'll throw I'll be the first to throw my hands up and say I haven't been through that struggle. But for me, I think as a youngster, when I wasn't in that sort of area, I think the music was like a window for me to understand black people and the black struggle. You know, I don't pretend that like I know what it was like to grow up in the massy projects. But I think listening to you know nothing but jay Z songs growing up, it gave me that sympathy. And then, you know, I knew black people growing up. I would never be judgmental of someone based on the color of their skin, even maybe at school. You know, there were racist people at my school, and you know I didn't fuck with that. But once I became an adult and I turned eighteen, you know, I moved to London. As I was saying a minute ago, London was very multicultural. You know, I begun to make friends with a lot of black people. And what I actually ended up doing when I was in London as a job is, you know, I started making music videos and making music videos for rappers. You know, I guess the majority of the artists that I shot music videos with were black. But you know, I never met black people with a closed minded a perspective. You know, I was always just in love with hip hop music. If I met somebody that was black, white Indian that also loved hip hop music, we had a connection. We had something to talk about. I can't say that, you know, I grew up in the tough areas.
Speaker 1: And I want to be a good trap is that when I say us, and this is what I'm saying about, your understanding even of our culture is a little old because I'm a rich black man, right, so when I say black men, we don't need simpathy. You know what I'm saying, There's no like all of us ain't come from or all of our circumstances are not in a place where people need to sympathize for us, or you know, be like we're some sort of victims. Like you know what I'm saying. It's like you know, I know you say it gives you a window into listening to jay Z, gave you a window into black culture, so you can kind of sympathize. First of all, a lot of the rap shit is fake, a lot of the talking from raps, and I know from outside of the culture, y'all, you may not get that. Oh that's what I want to say. Let me go back. We'll get to that in a second. When I say hip hop or when I say the tough area, when I say our culture, I'm not talking about just the criminal element, right. That's why I was talking to you about maybe barbecues or you know, football up the heel, or maybe cookouts or you know, just other things that we do in our culture that lends us that understanding. Even when we talk to each other, Like my neighborhood. I don't play like this, but in my neighborhood, for some strange reason, they talk to each other and they'll say, bitch, what you doing, bitch, bitch, how you bitch? What you got? Like if a police officer or someone is listening to that, that sounds violent when that's not even that. You have to be of the culture to understand how they can use a word like that to each other and it's not causing that level of violence. You can't get that through hip hop. You see what I'm saying that. And I mean when I say culture, it's not just music. It's fashion, it's jargon, it's lifestyle, it's it's even and it is it is some hardship, it is some what we've been through. Right, I talk like this, I walk like this because of what I've been through, you know. And so it's more than just hip hop that makes us what we are. And so I'm trying to help you get a real window into the culture because hip hop is just a little bitty facet of our culture. And when you're dealing with our rappers, you're dealing with more than the hip hop artists. You're dealing with a young black man from our culture. You see what I'm saying. And I know sometimes from the outside it's just oh, another rapper, blew up another rapper. It's like, no, he's speaking culture language. He's saying some culture shit. Whether it's right or wrong. And how you how you interpret it is what we want to talk about a little later. But you know, to that, what do you say?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think it's interesting because I think if we go back to like what I said at the start, you know, it's not just about hip hop like I say. You know, I grew up just into things that I guess would be seen as black culture. You know, it's not just hip hop like I say. I grew up watching comedy like Deaf comedy jam, people.
Speaker 1: That like DL D.
Speaker 3: L Hugley, Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, it's it's almost like I got I actually go you know, everything you just said I agreed with to be honest, Like, I think for me, it's it's not necessarily I don't feel like I've really got something to prove as far as, like, you know, my affinity with black people. You know, at the end of the day, I think I'm just this weird white dude that grew up in a very white area. But I listened to nothing but hip hop, you know, listen to nothing but black comedians, black people I find successful. Even beyond that, you know, I remember growing up and I seeing the Malcolm X film and just being so inspired by this amazing, you know, powerful black man that kind of overcome his adversity. And as I said before, like really I just grew up having a lot of black people as my heroes and people I really admired. Now, does that mean that I had the black experience? You know, No, and I don't claim to have had that. And like I said, I kind of agree with everything you just said to be honest, but I really what I'm trying to say is just it's like I really mean no harm like, and I don't claim to be like an expert of black culture or black people, like, you know, my topic area on my channel is hip hop, hip hop music, rappers, that stuff I'm interested in, and realistically, like, when it comes to that, stuff. You know, I do have a good knowledge, you know, it's all it's it's we're talking twenty five years plus of just me listening to nothing but hip hop and like learning about hip hop, learning about the lyrics. I don't claim to be like some sort of a black culture expert. But at the same time, I kind of, you know, I grew up on that stuff, even though I wasn't from that area. So I'm kind of a messed up with random dude. I really I'm not trying to claim to be anything I'm not. And you know, I really don't mean to offend anybody with the things I say or the things I put across.
Speaker 3: And I'm quite open minded.
Speaker 1: Man and necessarily right with the King Vaughn thingg And that's what I'm saying. Right before the King Vaughn thinging. I'm literally in building saying, look, I need to hire this guy, like, give me it. I need to hire this guy. Got some things I want to do with this guy, like how he does it. I want to pitch him some things and let him kind of get it together and then we bring it back to the network like I was. And then the King Vaughn thing happened, but before King Vaughn. Let's go back. I still want to know how you got onto jay Z. If nobody around you's listening to how we crept into your roller dicks.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing, so to be fair. So I had two older brothers, right, and bear in mind, so I moved her from London, South London to like Croydon from when I was about five or six years old, right. So my older brothers they were like, I don't know the exactly, like six and ten.
Speaker 3: Years older than me.
Speaker 2: So they grew up in London, right, So they were more urbanized as far as like living in the city, living in a much more multicultural area. So they were into like a lot more diverse range of things, not just hip hop, but they liked hip hop. They had a few hip hop records.
Speaker 3: They were into.
Speaker 2: Skateboarding, surfing, just more shit that was more city type stuff. And for me, I think it's just hip Hop's the thing I latched onto. You know, I had an older brother that he would make hip hop beats. You know, we moved from London to this kind of small town. There was nothing going on, and you know, my brother would mess around on logic making beats, and I thought that was really cool. You know, I would steal his records and like I say, listen to my jay Z, listen to my you know these up here I do if you know these this is the like Ruckus Records kind of collection. And these are some of the first records that I ever had of Like these are records that I stole from my older brothers and were spinning like peramunch eminem like early stuff. And i'd have been so I think that series like ninety nine, two thousand, so you know, we're talking like i'd be like seven or eight discovering this stuff for the first time. So I guess I would give it to my older brothers. You know, I had an older brother that used to make rap beats. My other brother, you know, there was a period of time when he was trying to kind of make it as a rapper and releasing songs and pressing records, and I was just super inspired by them and sort of the rappers that I was listening to really, so in a way, I guess it's sort of like my older brothers having some hip hop records around, but like they were kind of they were into that shit. But I really just got obsessive and just took it to a whole other level. I didn't want to play football, I didn't want to surf for skateboard. I just wanted to listen to hip hop all day. And like you know, I was when I was a little kid, even like I was a young kid, like nine years old, trying to rap. But I had my little raps in school and people were like, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 3: Like what is this?
Speaker 2: But I just loved it. I just thought that was so cool. That's what I wanted to do, That's what I wanted to be. And I guess yeah, partly like my older brothers, partly the Internet, because I once I got these records and I kind of got into hip hop, and then the Internet was around. I would just you know, looking up all these artists, downloading their whole catalog. Let me listen to the you know, discover eminem and jay Z. Let me listen to every song they've ever made, every remix they've ever done. That's I was just sat there doing that all day. And that's how I kind of built up this hip hop knowledge. Kind of by accident, but that's where that knowledge came from. And then many years later, you know, I tried to get into the industry. I wanted to be a video director for rappers. So I was kind of working with just like local rappers and rappers that I met in London to like shoot their videos and try and help promote their careers and stuff. And you know, I just wanted to be close to hip hop. I honestly, at the time, I never really would have even imagined I'd have ended up doing what I do now, But you know, things just kind of unfolded in a weird way. But yeah, it's just it just all came from the music and just being a kid just loving hip hop really.
Speaker 1: And you know what, you got onto the music early. And I can hear that, right, I want to know when did you get into the content part of it? Like not necessarily the music, but hey, I think I knowing no about this stuff. I'm gonna say something, right, when when did you get there?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting story, right, So this is a funny one. It might not be what you expect. But so I moved to London when I was like eighteen, you know, I was studying making music videos for rappers. It was kind of like just I was trying a lot of different stuff, and I actually started doing stand up comedy. So you know, I was going around in London, like going to these nightclubs because as well as rappers like people like Dave Chappelle, I looked up to comedians too, like a lot of comedians that I just thought were dope. So I wanted to give that a try. So I got into the open mic circuit in London and started doing a bit stand up comedy and it was you know, I'm saying I was doing it a bit, but it wasn't really going anywhere. And then I kind of started getting into to making YouTube videos, so I was making more like comedy sketches, like with my friends. You know, I kind of like, so I got homie that I knew from Brixton, which you know, one known spot in South London. But you know, me and my homie, soitanye we knew each other from doing stand up comedy, and we started doing these sketches and you know, some of the content we made sort of almost had this element of like, you know, he was a young black guy from Brixton. You know, he's half Nigerian, half Jamaican, and I'm sort of this nerdy white guy from the South of England, but I am obsessed with hip hop. So we did a few like comedy sketches of like kind of almost that that thing, almost like a black guy and a white guy living life in a different way. Like me and him did this comedy sketch where he took me to like the Nigerian food spot and he's eating with his hands and like I don't know how to eat the food and shit right, And so like me and my homies just doing stuff like this. No one was we were getting no views, like it wasn't going anywhere, but we were just trying to do this whole comedy thing. Like you know, my Palsertanie, he's a great guy. Shout out to him, you know, he was. He was another person super inspired by people like Dave Chappelle, you know, other great black comedians, and he was kind of doing his stand up thing and me and him, we were just trying to make it basically like running around London trying to make it in the content game. And the funny thing is, you know, YouTube just wasn't going anywhere for me, but I just kept trying. Like every year, I would just be like, let me do another sketch, let me do a reaction video. And over time I started doing a few videos that were hip hop related, but it was kind of more UK stuff funnily enough, like you know, I don't know if you know, Skepta sort of the big you know, the big grime rapper in the UK's one of the biggest guys in the UK. But like, you know, I did a few reactions to like he would drop a new music video. I'd sort of react to Skepta's music video. But again I wasn't really getting views, like it wasn't going anywhere, but I just kept doing it because it was fun. You know, there's a big rapper in the UK called the Russ, not the American Russ.
Speaker 3: We've got our own Russ. He's fire. Shout out to him.
Speaker 2: But you know I did I did a video where I kind of broke down the history of like one of his music videos and like he had this Lamborghini in his video and I sort of told the story of how he got this Lamborghini. And it didn't really go anywhere, but that was like the first video I did that kind of had like some structure and sort of told the rap story, and I was I didn't really I didn't really rock with it. I didn't think it was that good a video. But I had another home that was doing videos, YouTube videos, sort of more like history type stuff. And you know, people that know me in real knife know that I'm obsessed with hip hop. Like I'm the guy at a party trying to tell someone a hip hop story, or like, if there's a song, I'm trying to be like, oh, you know, like did you know this about this song? Like did you know jay Z like sold a million records of this album? Or this this happened or that happened, or like Gucci, like did you know Gucci main beat a murder case. I was that guy, and my homie just said to me, like, you know, why don't you tell some of those stories that you're always telling people and do it in the video like your Russ video. And it's kind of funny because at the time, I literally I said to the guy, I was like, I don't think people are gonna rock with this, this nerdy white guy with glasses talking about these, you know, real ass hip hop stories. And I kind of put it off, and then eventually I just said you know what, let me make a story. Let me make a hip hop history video. See how that goes. And I did the video about how jay Z shot his brother when he was twelve and just kind of telling that story. And that was just the story that really stood out to me of you know, hearing those lyrics when I as a kid and thinking, wow, you know, that's that's crazy. That's a circumstance, like shooting your brother when you're just twelve, Like that was something completely out of my conception, and it was an interesting story. And I made that video and you know, that video ended up performing better than anything I had ever done, and I just kind of was like, damn, Like it was the opposite of what I expected, you know, I was. I was kind of surprised people were even interested. And from there I just kept going. You know, I started doing videos on all kinds of different topics. You know, I did a video on Frank Ocean and how he kind of finessed the record label for twenty million dollars sort of when he did his album to get out of his deal with def Jam. You know, I did a story about how jay Z and R Kelly had beef. I did a breakdown of like R Kelly's whole case. You know, I did a breakdown of the situation with Young Thug and Lil Wayne having a beef, and it just slowly, like I was just doing the stuff that I was interested in, stuff that was in the news at the time, and.
Speaker 3: It just slowly, slowly started building up.
Speaker 2: And you know, the like I said, I think it was that Frank Ocean video about how he kind of ba That was the first thing I got that got like a million views, And to be honest, that was just you know that that was really mind blowing to me. Like I'd never even I would have never thought I could get through a video with a million views. You know, everything I'd done up until that point, we're talking like fifty hundred views maybe, So that was like, you know, that was very eye opening for me.
Speaker 3: But that's the story of how it kind of came to be.
Speaker 1: And so they reward of the million views said hey, let's stick here. I mean, because I'm in content, I know what it's like when everybody's posting me and all this shit's going crazy, my phone's going like it sends off shit in your ear. It's like a reward man this shit is, it's amore. I can only imagine what rappers feel like when they go on the stage and everybody's screaming and hollering, and it's just like, that's why they chase it. That's why you see them at some point starting to make bad decisions because I want that feeling, bag man, you know, And us as content creators, we gotta be careful that we're not somewhat chasing that same that say ghosts and trying to sensationalize some of these things. When did you when did you find your Would you say you're you are infatuated with King Vaughn.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I would, and I think a lot of people are.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think King von is an artist that captivated a lot of people, you know, when Von was alive, you know, and he was really on the run of his success, you know, releasing his mixtapes back to back, quickly becoming one of the biggest artists in the game. I think a lot of people became obsessed with Vonn because he was a great artist and he had a fascinating story. And I probably would say that I'm I don't think I've obsessed with him in a sort of twisted, creepy, uh you know, King Von tattoo on my on my face kind of way. But he was definitely one of my favorite artists. He was somebody that his backstory was just insane to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He had so many lyrics saying I've I've got seven bodies, I'm about to catch another one. You know, I was listening to this guy and he was so good at rapping, and I was just listening to these lyrics, thinking how can this be? Like, this can't be true. This guy is so cold on the mic. He's saying he's killed all the ops. He's saying he's killed seven people, and he's got charting on Billboard?
Speaker 3: Like, how is this? How is this possible? And I probably did.
Speaker 2: I probably did get a little bit obsessed with with his music and his story, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And would you say obsession is not healthy?
Speaker 3: Probably not no.
Speaker 2: And you know what I would say that in general, I think, you know, I don't want to I don't wanna. I mean, look, I can throw my hands up and say I think I think I probably even before I made the video, I think I was obsessed with King Von's music because there was a time when all I wanted to listen to was Von. I didn't want to listen to nobody else because Vonn was the realist, the rawst, the coldest rapper, had the best beats. All I wanted to listen to was von And that was probably before i'd even done a video about him, you know, back in twenty twenty, because I did. For bear in mind, I did three videos on Vaughn while he was alive, and you know, at the time, you know, that's a whole other story, but like that was a time when I think von was really the trending topic and hip hop.
Speaker 3: He was the guy.
Speaker 1: Now, so let's let's let's let's go back a little bit. So all right, King, So you're saying that you do you would say that you have some sort of obsession with King Von. Now when when you went to reporting on King Vaughn, do you think your obsession the obsession of the Because to me, what I'm hearing from you right from my side, because I've been involved in everything this culture has to offer, from from the dope game to the criminal shit, to the jail to the month. Whatever this culture has, I've I've endured it, right so when I'm speaking to you, I don't hear hip hop. I hear you obsessed with our criminal with the criminal aspect of the culture. It's almost like that's what draws you in. Have you ever been in a fight, have you had fights and stab beings? Have you shot somebody or been shot at? Or do you know any of that kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: Uh, okay, let me just I'll answer all those questions. I would say, you know, I would disagree that I'm obsessed with the criminality side of it. You know, I think the thing that got me interested in VONN to begin with was the music. You know, it's always the music. I don't you know, I don't. I don't go looking for just like random shootings and then like hope that somebody is a rapper.
Speaker 1: Hold up trap. You said that the lyric that stuck out to you from jay Z was that he shot his brother. That's the That's literally one of the first things you said that stuck out to you while he shot his brother. That that's I'm telling you. I'm a listener, so I'm not someone that is just gonna say these things as I got your moment, I'm not into that, right. We having conversation. I'm literally listening to what you're saying. So you said, hey, Yo, the jay Z thing, right, jay Z man, he was such a lyrical guy. But what really got me he had to shoot his brother and I got to thank you.
Speaker 2: But what I would say is that I am obsessed with jay Z. But I was already a fan of jay Z for years before I made that video and before I you know, covered that story. But like I've covered a lot of jay Z stories, you know, I bear in mind, I've got a video about how jay Z cut his deals in his you know, his alcohol businesses to become a billionaire. Like I'm also obsessed with jay Z. I'm probably as obsessed with jay Z as I am with this. I think jay Z.
Speaker 1: How different rapping wise, it's King Ron from jay Z because if you like King, if you like jay Z style, him and King Vaughan are day and night. So the only thing they have in coming is rapping about the criminal elements in a way that's.
Speaker 3: Believable that that's not. I don't know if that's true, because I think I'm down.
Speaker 2: Though I'm down, I think because I think as well, it's sort of like I think you're picking a specific point to focus on, and I understand because that's the that's the topic and the theme we're on. But I think, you know, I think when you look at if we were going to do a comparison of jay Z and King Von as artists, I mean, that'd be really bear in mind, Like you can tell, I'm obsessed, Like I love this ship, Like that's so interesting, like because I think when it comes to jay Z, look as far as as far as I know, Okay, jay Z has never killed anybody, right, The story is he shot his brother at age twelve. His brother was apparently, you know, on a lot of drugs, causing problems for the family, stealing he was the story of jay Z shooting his brother when he was twelve was a really interesting story of this young dude who essentially had to boss up at twelve and become the defender of his family, which is a which is a crazy story which I guess in a way does bear similarities to King Von because I think the situation with King Von is, you know, especially at the early stages when we can get into this as a separate debate, but like you know, if you believe that King Von did kill people, as he said in his lyrics and his tweets. You know, I think when that begun, that was a kill to survive situation. I think Vaughn was defending himself, he was defending his life, he was defending his family's life. And I suppose that's that's what jay Z was doing in that situation where.
Speaker 1: He's a circumstance. Now, our culture, this is what I'm trying to tell you. This ain't music. This is an element of our culture that involves at a lot of times a criminals, it right, and we just so happened to be some of us so happened to be so dope. We can rap about it, you know. But that particular part of it seems to what draws you in, because the way jay Z raps is nothing like the way King Vaughn raps. Yet you are obsessed with both of them. Go ahead, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you why, because I bear in mind this is subject this is really interesting.
Speaker 3: I love I love this.
Speaker 2: So I think what's really interesting, and I kind of touched on this in my video, is that you're right, you've got these two guys, jay Z and King vonon that Essentially, they both grew up in really difficult environments. You've got the Massy projects in New York, You've got O Block in Chicago, Parkway gardens. Right, they were both in these situations where they essentially had to fight for their survival, and at some point in both their lives they realized and they decided, you know what, instead of this life of crime, at least in jay Z's case, you know, his thing was he was a drug dealer. A lot of his early raps reasonable doubt dead presidents. It's kind of drug dealer, mafioso rap. You know, drill music hadn't even been invented yet.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But the reason I look at to jay Z so much and I would, you know, I'd say I'm obsessed with him because he made a change and he said, I'm going to get out of the streets. I'm going to become a rapper, I'm going to get into the industry, and I'm going to kind of become this businessman. And he got the hell away from all of that kind of the drug dealing in the streets. He made himself a success through his music and became a millionaire. And I think what's really interesting is like when you can trust that with King Von and I think we'll get into this, but this is why I find King Von as you know it. Just to be completely honest, I don't think King Voon is necessarily someone to look up to, because I think that you've got someone like jay Z where he beat the odds and he broke the cycle and he got out of that situation, became a millionaire focused on his business, built billion dollar businesses, became very corporate, Whereas I think if you can trust that with Vaughn, Vaughn got out of the streets, became a millionaire. But it would seem based on the research that I did, that Vaughn simply was more interested in the beef. He wanted to keep funding the street war.
Speaker 3: He wanted to arrange it. That's the way with.
Speaker 1: You, because from outside of our culture, you cannot speak to what he was interested in. You see, sometimes I want you to know this brother from from from loan right, and we're debating, so I want you to say whatever you want to say so we can have a conversation in an open and an open way. But I'm telling you, King Vaughn want't as rich as probably you think he was to be able to get out of that situation. The rappers. What I don't think you've picked up along all your research of hip hop in our culture is that most rap shit in the culture they con men. They playing con man, they confidence man, right, whatever, they they just gotta sell it. They gotta be able to sell it to the consumer. I don't I don't think that somebody like King Vaughn jay Z, I don't think that the same. I believe that, again, the only thing that they have in common is the criminal element that they both had to face, because our culture provides that to us. Even rapping. Just think about the rap style totally different. Think about the beat selection totally different. Think about where they come totally different, the accent totally different. Jay Z, like you said, was it he as soon as he had an opportunity because he was old when he got his money. He was twenty eight when he got his deal or something, so he was already an established man. King Vaughan is a young man that's still kind of hooked to this shit that they gonna start calling shyreck. This shit is a mess up here, homie. This shit is something you can't just check out of this. This ain't That's what I'm saying. This ain't. You don't just turn this game off. This ain't something King Vaughan just can walk away from, right. He don't got the money, Dirk Hat. In my opinion, he don't have the money, Dirk Hat. And I know because I know what he takes to get from that. The resources he would have needed to get from that place, I don't think he had yet. But let's not move too far into that. Let's go back to what is the the the parallel things between King Vaughan and jay Z that draws trap Lord Ross to being somewhat obsessed with both of those guys. Outside of if it's the criminal element, I need you to acknowledge that and understand that, oh shit, oh shit, it ain't the hip hop, it ain't really the music. Shit, I'm starting to glorify culture that I don't participate in. Because if you are breaking the deals down, if you are breaking you know, Joe Budden broke up, you are are freak ocean twenty million dollar finago or jay Zon even shot his brother like that's even something this But when do you get to this place? You see what I'm saying but let's focus on Jay Z and King Von. I'm so obsessed with that conversation. Let's stay there for just a second.
Speaker 2: Look, I'll be honest, I just I do kind of disagree with what you just said because I think, firstly, King Von, I personally think Kingvon did have the money.
Speaker 3: He bought his mother a house outside of the city.
Speaker 2: And bear in mind, I feel like everything you just said that King Von, he couldn't have possibly got away.
Speaker 3: How comes Chief Keith.
Speaker 1: Got real hits man and he was rich a long time. You ain't give give him the time. These hits nowadays need time to stream wheel. They need time, bro, You know they need time. This ship, this ship for it to get a lot of streams. It's shit. It needs time for these guys to get this money and see this money. King Von wasn't in that situation, bro, Chief Keith. Even if you look at Chief Keith and King Von, financially we're talking. Chief Keith got on when Kanye West was rolling through really active in music. That's a long time.
Speaker 3: But naw, that's this.
Speaker 2: And Vaughan stayed independent and he tweeted that he was turning down multiple at tweeting he could have taken a multi million dollar deals anytime. And Chief Keith signed a bad label deal.
Speaker 1: So Chief Keith was kind of down on that. King Von was That's not true. Chief Keif had hits. He's been a part of producing. He's been a part of too much, Bro, He's been a part of too much. King Vaughn didn't even get a chance to get all his features going. He didn't get a chance to really get his feet under him. Bro. I ain't talking about the little features like with rapp Niggas I just run into on tour. I'm talking about he didn't get a chance to really plan, to really really really get a good run at the music. Him and Chief Keith financially. That's not a good conversation, Dirk and Chief Keith. Dirk smothering Keith. But as far as King vaugh he didn't have enough money to run away and just check out the game. He didn't have that kind of money. And you're talking to me about tweets and it's almost disrespectful. But I'm a content creator, so I know I gotta deal with this, right. It's cool. I accept it, But Bro, I'm telling you from experience, I had to come out the trenches, my nigga, I come out of this. These niggas don't have the money you think they have. And I'm the nigga they used to come borrow from. They don't have what you think they have. Brother, they con men. That's what you ain't for you to have studied. I coach all this time and not No rappers are lying on the mic or not know that. Rappers are tweeting bullshit. A lot of them don't know they business. A lot of them in bad deals. These rap dudes are not what they portray to be. But I understand it. When you that far away, you have no clue.
Speaker 2: See you're saying Vaughn and jay Z, it's a.
Speaker 1: Cap No jay Z, no what you mean. It's not all kept. I'm saying the amount of money that Vaughn needed to be in a situation to check out the game, a game that has been a game that's been developed in a city in America, one of the most one of the power the powerful country in the world called Shyreck because it resembles war, young men being killed. For him to check out of that game. For him to check out of that game, he need a certain amount of money. My brother how much. I don't know. It depends on his fan It depends on how many kids he got, you know what I'm saying. Then it depends on his information, what information he got, because maybe he had enough money for a nigga with some information, but a young nigga with no information might need a twenty million dollar play to feel like I can really leave from around here because he don't know no better. And dude did. Trust what I'm telling you, Dude didn't get enough leg room. Man, he didn't get to live with those hits long enough to really get to see the money that you probably thinking he had, and turning down a multimillion dollar deal says none to loan, because it's about the terms, not the money. Any time you get into this business, you learned that it's never about the money. It's always about the terms. So they may gave him a multimillion dollar deal to own all this shit and he's like, no, that don't make sense right, So again, that's that's my opinion.
Speaker 2: He I mean, listen, he allegedly had a hundred thousand dollars to spend on getting his enemies assassinated.
Speaker 1: You think that's the money listen, if he's got.
Speaker 2: The money to arrange hits after he's already a millionaire, I feel like he has the money.
Speaker 1: Let me play, Let me play.
Speaker 2: Let me playing talking about We're just talking about Von though I'm not trying to make a blanket staate no community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me let me, let me play. Let me play into what you're saying as if I'm King Von. And of course this is alleged. I don't believe this stuff to be true. Anytime I'm speaking to a white man. Anytime I'm speaking to a white man, ain't nobody killed nobody. Nobody ever killed nobody. When I'm speaking to a white man, you hit me, so we get answer that. But I want you to know about the King Vaughn thing. I'm let me play into what you're saying, that he spent the honey k. That ain't no money, family, nigga a honey k for me if if I got to knock a few people off to feel safe around here, because see, that's that's the thing that I think, again, you're not paying attention to right once they mark me. It's almost like in one of these video games, they got a boundary on me. If I could take care of somebody that got the boundary on me. They might send a message to calm everything down. So some of what I do may be out of safety. But I don't even believe half of the shit that's been reported to the internet. I don't believe that. I don't believe. So you can't we can move on because you can't answer that. I can, But you can't answer to what what similarities to Jay Z and King Vaughan Ham.
Speaker 2: I answered that already they both came out of difficult environments.
Speaker 1: So it is the criminal it ain't the rapid No, no, no.
Speaker 2: I didn't say anything about criminality here. I said they came out difficult environments.
Speaker 1: Difficulty causes you to be in criminal activity.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that because I grew up in difficulty. That's why I want you to you're talking to a member. You're not talking to a content guy. You talk I'm a member. So I'm telling you if I grew up in difficulty, I got to deal with criminal activity to get out of difficulty. That's part of what I have to do. So those two and did that. What about the music do they have in common that draws you to like those two individuals, seeing that you cited jay Z shot his brother at twelve, that was one of your first stories. And King Vaughan Beef and his shit is you've been attached to that for a while. Help me understand the similarities.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing I think I did kind of touch on this, but I'll kind of go go out of again from another angle, which is, you know, the thing that really attracted me to to I guess to jay Z and a lot of other artists is that we.
Speaker 1: Can we do them together? Say the can? We can we? Because you'll you'll get me over there on this jay Zing.
Speaker 3: They are different, it's different and from a different.
Speaker 1: Era, right, but similarities what draws you to? Right, If you like jay Z, see, the more you like it is the less you like it. That right, If I'm in love with jay Z music, oh my god, I love how jay Z just his style, his flow, his like And then the next person that I love is King Vaughn is like, all right, what's the similarities there? Music?
Speaker 2: I think I think that's kind of like a foot of a sort of you're creating like a sort of false fallacy because I love King Von and his mu Well. I love King Von's music, I love jay Z's music. I love Little Yochty, I love Yeat. You know there's there's there's future son.
Speaker 1: I like story of Yachty, story, I see stories.
Speaker 3: I got yo Ey.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I haven't done Yeat.
Speaker 3: I might do Yeat soon. I might eat soon.
Speaker 1: So but but I'm saying, music wise, can we get any clear distinguishable what artist?
Speaker 3: I've given my answer, but you're not accepting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Let's move on. Like I said, maybe maybe maybe the people say, hey, I got the answer, because I don't hear it. I'm not hearing hip hop when you say when it comes from a difficult and you know to do it adverse.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me let me just try to add a little bit more to that, because I think I think maybe I need to just communicate a little bit more context, because I think they both come from these difficult environments. And if you let me just get if I get to the next stage their music Vonn's music and jay Z's music and hell Little Duck's music, to these artists that I'm really into. The music gives you a window into that environment. I didn't grow up in Oblock. I've never been to the Marsi projects. You know, maybe one day, who knows. But listening to this music, like listening to King Von's music and jay Z's music, they're both amazing rappers. Like say what you want about what Von did in the streets, but when he got on the mic and he started rapping, he was amazing. He told amazing stories, vivid, deep storytelling, which you could definitely say the same thing about jay Z. And they would build a picture. There's old jay Z songs and there's King Von songs. You put on the headphones, you shut your eyes, and you listen to that description of roaches on the walls.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: People I don't know, people fighting outside outside the front door in Marci or whatever. And he paints a picture and you look, I haven't been there. I can't say I know what it's like. But I would listen to jay Z's songs and King Von songs and it gives me a window, like an insight into this lifestyle that these guys are living. And it's those stories, those pieces of art that they've made, which is a talent, a skill like Von was a talented artist. He was able to paint a picture of O Block so that someone like me that never have been there would maybe get, you know, a small percentage of understanding of what it's like, like what he went through and his story, and both jay Z and King Von through I think painting these pictures of the experiences that they had been through. That talent was rewarded by the music industry and they both became very successful. Now we disagree on how successful Von became, and you know that's that's fine, But I think that's the thing I just want to communicate is it's the storytelling and the artistry that I think puts them together. Because let's be real, like, no disrespect to anybody, but the artistry of say a King Von and a Rondo number nine, it's on a different level. The way King Von told the story and painted a picture is above damn, near ninety five percent of Chicago rappers. Full sty was a legend because of how good it are.
Speaker 1: So I know, I know some people are gonna say, Lord, his hip hop card has to be revoked. At this point, he's comparing jay Z music to King Vaughn's music. This is what I mean can you tell me any similarities between drill music and drug dealer music? Like the this is not a comparison, bro in my opinion, And I'm saying from I'm a hip hop baby, so I gotta I gotta put my side out, like that's your side. You feel as though some some some storytelling that King Vaughan is doing, you know, aligns with what jay Z did. When I say jay Z did drug dealer rap, he did struggle drug dealer rap, and King Vaughn is doing drill music, I don't see anything.
Speaker 2: But that's a struggle drills. You know, the drill music is about struggle in my drill music. Drill music developed over like you know, ten fifteen years after the kind of mafiosa rap because you've got someone like jay Z, right, jay Z's music influenced a new generation of people. Like let's say, I don't know Rick Ross, who you know. I know you're saying a lot of rappers a phony, gonna.
Speaker 1: Say their phony. I say they exaggerate their con men, not phony. They just exaggerate.
Speaker 2: But Rick Ross is probably a perfect example of that. As they say he was a corrections officer, but then he's on the Mic talking about he's selling hundred kilos of coke. Right, so he's a good example of that, whereas I think jay Z's more authentic. But regardless, you got someone like jay Z and that that form of like mafiosa gangster rap is sort of evolving. And then you have people like Rick Ross emerging.
Speaker 1: But that involved to Rick Ross. That didn't involve in the King Vaughn. What King Vaughn was the evolvement of a Chief Keef. Yeah, right, So this is what I'm bear in mind. These are not King Keith. Hip Hop has it fruit off trees. Right, there's fruit off and you say, you study hip hop, so you should know that. Like when you look at the jay Z thing, you see a Ross, you see a Meek, you see this is the fruit off of that j tree. What King Vaughn landed had nothing to do with that with the drug dealer mafioso style rapping shit, right, you know.
Speaker 2: The thing that bridges them together. I would say the thing that bridges those two genres of music together is trap music. I'm talking like two thousand and six at Lansa, like Gucci Mayne, because the whole trap music here of like Gucci Mane, you know what I'm saying, all of his different trap music type things, even like Ti the sort of like trunk like rubber band Man, that was all about drug dealing. But I think over time, this this Atlanta wave of trap where you had like Gucci Mane catching a murder case and then he's jumping on songs talking about go dig your partner up. I think trap music over time became quite violent, but that was born out of sort of drug dealer rap. Then it was you had people like t I, Gucci Mane talking about we're trapping in Atlanta at the text, and then that.
Speaker 1: Was a right Gucci man was alone in that trap music.
Speaker 3: Was wrong man?
Speaker 1: Who else was he? Who else was like really disendoran and he kind of started the wave. He really didn't nobody else was really doing that. In the South, you had Tip doing drug Dealer Rep. You had Jeezy drug Dealer Rep. Ross, drug Dealer Rep. Everybody just was was kind of rap or they were dancing. Nobody else was doing the this ship did this ship go ahead?
Speaker 2: But well, that's what I'm trying to say is that like in my opinion, this is just me, This is just I'm just cooking off the top of my head, right, fair enough, But it's a good conversation. But I think I personally think if I was just gonna give my honest opinion, I think was it was trap music that came from the kind of gangster rap, mafiosa rap where you had people like Ti g Z. Then the g Z Gucci beef escalated into violence, and then I think trap music became slightly more violent. But then it was like Chief Keif came out, you're talking like twenty ten in Chicago, but he was already he was not the original first person to do drill. Like you had a guy in pac Man. Sorry, you had a guy in Chicago called pac Man that was creating what was called drill music, and that was like heavily Atlanta inspired to begin with. Because a lot of these early Chief Keith beats they're kind of like they're kind of like really sort of hard, sort of like reformulated versions of trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like you gotta tap into the South to be effective, right, we got out.
Speaker 3: Of each That's what I mean. That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: You're talking beats, I'm talking about the content. So the content, Yeah, when you dealt with the Gucci Man. He stood on a mountain along dissing. He was dising because that beef didn't allegedly turn into something. So he was dissing. Nobody else was dissing right now.
Speaker 2: But but when this is the thing though, It's like when Chief Keith first came out, the music wasn't necessarily all about dissing. And this, I think this goes back to what I was saying about why Vaughn I think is a good artist, because I think the same reason why Chief Keith was such a good artist when he came out in like twenty ten, and he's dropping songs like three hun A or like I don't like those those beats, you know, we're talking like young chop beats that are kind of they're quite Atlanta focused, but then they're sort of like they've got their own completely unique, original flavor and those songs. Originally, like Chief Keith at the start, he was repping his crew, but he was never dissing. The whole smoking Tuca thing. That didn't come until a couple of years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But so they were what they were talking about drilling, like seeing the South again. It was drug dilla raut. It was you know, gotta bi Leon twenty folds. Yeah, you know, it was dead up there. It was looking for them niggas with the heater, with the niggers. It was it was like, I'm hunting. I'm not sad, I'm with the shit. That's that's you. You talking about beasts. I'm talking about content content.
Speaker 2: Right, But but that But that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to talk about it holistically, but I think both things influence each other.
Speaker 3: But I think you're right.
Speaker 2: You know, when Chief Keith was first picking up steam, he wasn't drug dealing, he wasn't making money, he wasn't they were just they were just sitting around saying that they don't like not basically, that's the thing. But he was the originator. That's the thing I think it's important to remember. I think the Beats were influenced by Atlanta and it's sort of like two thousand and six Atlanta era, Trap era, that was the biggest thing. Chief Keith kind of came along. He took elements of that. He put his nose spin on it. It's all Chicago, it's all about violence because he's growing up in that environment. And then over time Chicago. Drill became the biggest thing going, and it got more and more violent. But Chief Key's earliest songs they're not all about dissing and drilling. A lot of it's just sort of about, you know, we're on the block, we're smoking, like giving people a what's the word like a window?
Speaker 1: Growing up, I was hearing like I don't like and all of that shit was a bunch of young niggas with gods. They had never seen no shit like this. This had never nigga. We what a bunch of niggas with a k's and it's k's and video talking about David were looking for them. Niggas bet not come over here with that bullshit. That's what that's that's the fruit that King Vaughan came up under right, I'm telling you that that's something totally different than what was happening in the South. We will show you the big cause, we'll try to show you the house that ain't ours. The boot gott it, it ain't ours, the bit lit, it ain't ours. Somebody nicklaces, that ain't our. We we the you know, we're trying to make you bite into it. Up there, them young niggas look dirty with them choppers.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, you know, I think all of these different eras of hip hop over the years have influenced the next. And then even between that, you know, between the sort of like trap Atlanta wave and the Chicago drill waves. Then you've got people like you know, there's been a whole long history of a lot of music coming out of like Louisiana, New Orleans. You know, the cash Money, Lil Wayne stuff, which that was a really interesting era because that was more like the Bling era cash money. It was all about showing off diamonds, cars, the Bentley's. But then there was also a little bit of an undertone of violence of you know, this creating painting a picture of this environment, the Magnolia projects.
Speaker 1: You know, you all view it as violence from now it's culture from the right.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, I agree, but that that's the content of the music. And I'm only saying that. I'm only pinpointing that violence as to say that came before we had someone like Chief Keith. I don't think Chief Keith was the first person to ever think I'm gonna hop on a song.
Speaker 3: And Sam.
Speaker 1: As in the video, that was the first time this was ever seen that. Yeah, that changed Chicago. That whole wave right there changed Chicago. And Vann was under there. They come up under the world that that ship was creating in down South, there wasn't happening yet. Now it's happening. Now our young niggas got there. I'm telling you what I know. See you all and that's what I'm saying, bro, you and the I'm telling you, I'm a member of this. I'm telling you what one hundred percent I know. In the South, we was not rocking like that. When nim young niggas done that, it turned that young niggas up. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, and I think something that I want to say that's really interesting that maybe people mess Look, you can tell I'm no gang banging dude, But at the same time, when I moved back to London, I didn't have a lot of money. I lived in an area that was kind of rough, and essentially before my YouTube channel really took off and went anywhere, I actually became you know, you used the word earlier obsessed. Maybe that's the right word, Maybe that's the wrong word. But I was living in a in a in a hood. Let's say, right, I was living in a in a block that was affiliated with a very well known group of drill rappers in London called four ten. Right, I was living in their area and beginning to learn about all the music and the stuff that was going on in the area, Like these guys have a music video that they filmed like in front of my in the building that I lived in. Right, So I was sort of living in London and experiencing and bear in mind all of the London UK drill originally it was heavily influenced by Chicago drill. So bear in mind we don't have guns as much in the UK, but we've got guys with music videos where they're holding knives and machetes at the camera. It's the whole gang in Balaclava's putting all of that stuff into their music. And there were a lot of murders in the area that I was living in, and you know, I would go and sort of see the crime scene and then go and hear about the song that was talking about the murder that had happened in my area in London. But a lot of that stuff was influenced by Chicago. And what I'm trying to say, is that I actually agree with what you're saying. I'm not saying I was involved, but I when I moved back to London, I was living in an area where this kind of waste taking influence and that was something that to me that was like, it was very interesting, it was very It really made me reflect on the influence of Chicago drill because if you don't know too much about the UK drill scene, it's so heavily influenced by Chicago. And you've got a lot of these young guys in the UK in London running around with ives, trying to do the Chicago thing. They want to get known for sling narrow well at least.
Speaker 1: For over here. Again, see, I have respect for culture, so I can't say why they doing it. But over here I know that it's a fight to get out this ship. So if it if they think that, I get turned up. If I'm a real one, if that's what gets me turned up, is that I stick by what I say, then they gonna do that, you see, And and they they lost in that. Right, Let's talk about because we'll move on from the Jay z And and King Vaughn thing. Let's speak about when you got to a place to make the King Von documentary. What made you name King Von a serial killer?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I I had covered King Von when he was still alive. So I did three videos about Von and in one of those videos, you know, I mentioned the whole situation with k I where you know, he had had years of history beefing with this girl on Twitter, you know, saying that he wanted to kill her, saying that he was trying to catch her, saying that he'd beaten her up. You know, whether or not you want to believe the stuff that said on Twitter is real, you know. A and he made a documentary about King Vaughn and Ki, and you know he was in the documentary talking about their beef. And you know, I covered that story whilst King Von was still alive. And that was actually before the Chicago Clice had come out and said that, you know, they believed that he was the culprit in that case. So I had covered King Von and you know it's in my No Jumper interview with aout him twenty two. But essentially, you know, this was when Vaughn was alive and Vonn and his crew pressed me. You know, they got in touch and they were going to take my channel down. They did three copyright strikes on my channel. They said my videos had songs in them Von songs, which they didn't, and they were going to take the channel down. And you know, they got in touch with me and they basically said to me.
Speaker 1: Was this after the document Hero before, this is the earlier stories.
Speaker 2: This is twenty twenty. Yeah, one, Vaughn's alive. Yeah, because he was like tweeting around about this stuff. But they basically said to me, like, if you go in the channel dashboard and edit out any of the mentions of this girl, well we'll let you have your channel back, basically. And I was kind of shook. I was like, okay, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: I did it.
Speaker 2: They let me have my chower back. I was like, I'm not going to talk on Vaughan again. Ship got too real, to be honest. But the weird thing that I found is that, you know, as time went on, I'm not covering Von anymore, but his star continues to rise. He gets more and more famous. He's billboard charting, you know, he's performing huge venues. He's catching this case with little Dirk, and and so time keeps going on and more and more Von lyrics are coming out, and like, like we said earlier, I would say that I did become obsessed with Vaughn as an artist. I became obsessed with his music. Anytime Vaughn dropped.
Speaker 1: You know, you say that is you do know that it's not healthy. Though upset listen session is not a hill.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's I don't think it's normal to make a three and a half of our video anything.
Speaker 1: So I'm a weird you are a gainst You're keeping against her.
Speaker 2: It's not normal, bro, I'm not I'm not a normal dude. So that is what it is. But as time was going on, you know, I was seeing more and more Von songs come out. And let's be real, like whether or not you believe Von did anything or did the things he said he was dropping. He dropped like five or six songs where he said I have seven bodies. You know, there's the I think it's the audio Mac freestyle. He says, let's talk about bodies. I got several, and then in the ad libs he's saying I got seven. He's got that other song where he says, let's talk bodies, I've got a few three plus four as he say, four plus three, three plus two counting his bodies. He's got another lyric where he says he's talking about I don't want to say the words, but it's a word beginning with D that' she used to refer to lesbian women. But he's saying, you know, I shoot everybody in the N words and the D words in this bitch saying he shoots women. And over time, because I'd already done research into Von's story and got in trouble for it, I was kind of thinking, like, I can't believe he is still out here saying this stuff, saying more stuff, and just like you know, I was watching it, thinking, any any day now, this guy is going to catch the rico and get arrested, surely. And that's just as a as a fan, and so I was honestly a big fan of Vonn's music. You know, it was it was heartbreaking to find out that he died, you know, when he passed away.
Speaker 3: That was very man.
Speaker 1: Do you believe everything that rappers rap about?
Speaker 3: I don't believe everything rap that.
Speaker 1: There's some some room for lies, for lack of a better term, for exaggeration in reps absolutely.
Speaker 2: And you know, we spoke a minute ago about Rick Ross. You know, Rick Ross was one of these artists where it sort of was an open secret that he was embellishing his past. But here's the thing that I think I find really frustrating about the bad reaction to my Von video. When Von was alive, all anyone wanted to talk about was Von is the realist?
Speaker 1: Von?
Speaker 2: Really about what he says? Von the realist? Von really did this ship. And so for everybody to kind of come out now after either analyze his lyrics and say it's all cap it just to me seems really disingenuous.
Speaker 3: Point. The whole appeal was.
Speaker 1: The right, let me answer that real in comparison, right, A lot of the raptures so fake. If he twenty percent of if he ten percent of what he was saying, he really see that again, it's off. It's it's the it's it's the you. You really don't know what you're looking at, right, You get you you hearing it, but you don't know what the backdrop is. I would say that it's in comparison when I say I'm the richest nigga in the room, that's right into the baby walk in the room. I'm talking to my dogs. I'm the richest rhying this motherfucker to the baby show up, he the richest, to p show up. He the riches to Jay show up. You see what I'm saying. So it's it's in comparison to so people who know rappers, who have been engaged with rappers have out themselves engaged with Vaughn and said, oh he he a little different than these rap niggas. The rap niggas because when you get behind the scenes somewhere, you probably never haven't been yet, right, because you're journalistic. The way you do your thing could get you some places you might not have been there yet. But once you get behind the scenes and get to see, oh shit, right, And not that all these rappers are fake, I want you to know that they are not running criminal enterprises. They don't have a lot of these guys were not the biggest dope boy even in their own neighborhoods. So for even Vonn to be a shot call the where he come from, it's just a different than the rap niggas because the rap niggas come up under somebody most time. Right, So I think because Vaughn came in with a little bit of rep on this belt, whether that's as much as you believe it to be or as little as other people believe it to be. Just having some in comparison to most rappers places him as amongst the realists in the game.
Speaker 3: I get what you say.
Speaker 2: I do agree with you know, there's there's different levels of realness. And you know there's people supposedly with with more bodies than Von, like you say, you know, Vonn is not the biggest ever been alleged. I hate no, but that's that's that's that's the topic. That's the topic. Like and you know, I appreciate what you're saying. And there is a spectrum of realness when it comes to rap. You know, you got your Rick Ross, you got your little babies, you got your King Von, you got your take A's okay, and so there is a spectrum. But come on, man, you can't tell me that when King Von was alive, people were saying he was twenty percent real. The whole appeal, the whole the King Von was that that Von was one hundred percent the realist out that's.
Speaker 3: Whatever it says.
Speaker 1: But again, you guys from outside the culture, your scales are off. When people are saying he's one hundred percent real, he's real. What they're saying is in comparison to the rappers, he's not the realist streak du He's not the biggest killing in the world, none of their shit, and we don't talk about killings. I even hate talking about this kind of shit, right, But look, yeah, but again, I believe Vaughn to be an artist. I believe Vonn to be painting some picture from where he come from. I believe the circumstances around Vaughn what he saw was that detrimental to his vision. You know. I believe his mouth to be a just a portal from what his mind to have seen. That's what I believe. I don't know that him had been doing all of that, bro without any conviction of those things. That's me. That's me being in the trenches. You ain't never been to the trenches. And I'm trying to get you to understand that. When they say that King Vaughan is one of the realists or he the realists in the game, these rap dues do his floy as shit is to give you their phone number and then don't answer the texts you know these rep what I'm telling you, they putting it. They not talking the criminal element that I believe you to be talking about. Now here's another element to it. I want you to understand. Most of these guys broke. So when they go do say cheese, TV interviews and cam compone in, they need that check. The vlaty, they need that check. I'm gonna say what needs to be said to be booked. I need to be booked. I'm trying to pay my bills now. I ain't putting a whole bunch of you know, I'm gonna put a little some on it. I ain't gonna but I'm gonna say what needs to be said for him to bring me back, and we build on this. You know what I'm saying. So I need you to understand that everything game with no convictions. I'm curious as to how you got to a place where you were able to put all this together and call this guy's serial killer. When you went from making content to giving niggas diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, right, I feel like this is where we're gonna get into it, because I think I just think it's so wrong and disingenuous for all of these people to come out and essentially gaslight the victims of von An act as if these murders never happened, because you've got at least seven people who are dead, and von sure he wasn't convicted. This is the funny thing people keep saying, Oh, the Malcolm Stucky murder of almos put On, he was never convicted. Fine, but he said he killed the witness. And you know, there's a to a certain degree, if somebody doesn't get convicted of a crime, that's one thing. But if they're saying I got away with it cause I killed the witness, I think at a certain point you just have to say, Okay, there's more to this than just were they convicted or not. Because Von's on a bunch of songs saying he killed seven.
Speaker 1: People, any conviction, How can you do that?
Speaker 2: You can, because I think there's more ways whether.
Speaker 3: Or not something happened.
Speaker 2: And bear in mind, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not trying to convict Vaughan victims convicted. I'm proving. I'm proving his own lyrics. He's on a song saying I've got I've got seven bodies, and I'm saying, well, who are they let me look into it. And I've looked into it.
Speaker 3: I found him.
Speaker 2: He's tweeting, Yes he did. It's always saying all these different people that he was smoking on like and he did. Like he's on Twitter talking about who made who made crack World and a guy called crack killed days before and he's.
Speaker 1: That's Chicago call area, that's another that's another poison that's in the wall in Chicago. They do that kind of ship like. I can tell you right now that they got people that's on rico uh charges and ship because they're on the phone saying ship that ain't true. You know, they on the phone flexing to their homeboy. Man, I just man, I've been doing good today. I made a hundred recks today. Boy, that ship is being you. But it is so real. I take him at his word, his word. A lot of those clips you cut out right, a lot of those clips. When he was talking, he might say, how many bodies I got, how many bodies I got, y'all, how many bodies I got.
Speaker 3: Life, He's.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? I want you to from that. I want you to look at what you are pulling from what he's doing, and I want you to say, what's disingenuous? Yo? How many bodies I got? Look y'all, look they said, I gots it. Look they put five, six, they put the mother said I got said that D D D They right, I got, said I got. Now I'm just playing. You cut out the now. I'm just playing, he said.
Speaker 2: He said, he said on oh, he said on O D. Perry's life, I got more I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking about And a lot of those clips he would say, I'm just bullshit and I'm just playing. I'm just playing. You would take that at the clip. You'll just take the front Paul when he will say, nigga, I got four boyy, they better quit playing with us, And he might say I'm just playing in that same clip, you ignore that, But yet you taking them at his word.
Speaker 2: He's he's wore in his closest homies life that he got more than five bodies.
Speaker 1: Like that don't mean nothing, Bro, You don't listen, and I ain't talking about Vaughn.
Speaker 3: On your life.
Speaker 1: Have you ever sworn somebody life?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: Yes, you ever had somebody die that you sworn their life, like in the field, in the in in some kind of street war something like that. You ever did that, so I want you to check out of this one because you ain't never done this one.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, I feel like if we take a step back, right, I think there's just something I'm important I really want to communicate, which is it's like, I understand where you're coming from, and I think you're rightfully trying to give me an education on how you see this with your cultural perspective, and I do respect that, but I also think that it's important for you to see things from maybe an outsider perspective and say, if a guy is running around saying he killed seven people, and he's got a whole industry behind him saying this guy is the realist, he is no cap At what point, as a group of people that are fans of music, say, look, vonn was supposedly the realist. He said he killed seven people, here's the names of the seven people that died, and he's tweeting haha, six shots to the face minutes after they died. At what point can we all just say, look like, as a community, we've got to put her hands up and say murder is wrong.
Speaker 3: Right, You've got a.
Speaker 1: Whole yead larn and I'm not caping for Vaughn because I don't know what he done. I'm telling you though, that you don't know what he done, and anything said with our context can be misunderstood. So I mean, no, listen, Vn ain't told you nothing. Your obsession told you everything, right, Vaughn ain't communicating nothing with you. Your interpretation. You calling these people victims. You diagnosing this man without any convictions or any real evidence, based on your understanding of a culture you're not a part of. Here. I am an outstanding member telling you that it's Camp on rap shit outstanding member, and you won't accept that. You're telling me that they said Ron is the realist. I agree, Vonn may be the realist, but compare to these fuck niggas. They not comparing Vaughn to the street guys. He rapping now, he trying to save his family. Now. He wanted the realists in this game because this game is full of boardshit a whole bunch of people that ain't even from the culture. That's what's on with this game now.
Speaker 2: So let's say I accept your argument fully. You know I denounced my opinions. I completely ubcept your argument. What you're saying to me is that all of Von's lyrics a cap and he never killed anyone.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that Vaughn is an artist. You're listening to music with millions of dollars of production involved in it. You have been listened in on an inside conversation or any intimate details with him and his family. You're listening to production to music. This shit has a marketing budget. So this is creative talk. This is something you should accept. If you're not the victim, if you're not somebody that had to bear with, somebody that could have been the reason this situation happened, you need to accept this as creativity because you don't know nothing else. Anything else is assumption because you ain't been involved. And if I'm telling you as an outstanding member that the rap shits a lot of room in that, and I ain't calling the rap brothers all cap, I want my rap friends to know. But I'm telling you the streets is a weird place, homie. The streets is a fucking weird place that you ain't never ever ever seen. I'm telling you. For them dudes to survive down there, they had to operate a certain way. I don't see him having enough money to get out of that at that time when he passed away again, R I P. Vaughan because I you know, we're just talking about a man like a man. Mama ain't involved. And that's what I need you to understand. When you running around without any kind of degree of diploma diagnosing men in a culture you ain't had nothing to do with. What about his mama? We get selfish chasing this shit?
Speaker 2: What about the seven mothers of the people that here.
Speaker 1: What are you giving them? A boy, what are you giving them by making a YouTube documentary and with you the only one benefit from they ain't getting nothing from that documentary homing.
Speaker 2: What What about the millions of dollars Von made making music making fun of that dead relatives?
Speaker 1: What you got to do with that? Is what I'm saying.