Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: This is one or two point seven.
Speaker 1: It's Kiss FM, just after seven o'clock on this Tuesday morning, joining us live in the studio, Luke Brian, Yes, stay and line out.
Speaker 2: Richie present and accounted for us.
Speaker 3: Why are all our Mike silver and yours is gold? Thank you very much, very much.
Speaker 1: It's to put you at ease and make you feel comfortable after some kind of.
Speaker 4: Like hierarchy here on your show. But there's a quality on our show.
Speaker 5: Just imagine they're platinum.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, yeah, I like that, Luke like that.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something, so Katie, I'll start with you did did you was there ever any thought or concern about the chemistry level that you guys would have before you all started working together on this show.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what's so funny.
Speaker 4: The story behind some of it is actually I met Lionel Richie one night at the Sunset Tower, late late after late night dinner, and.
Speaker 3: I sat with him and we just like share stories.
Speaker 4: But he was telling like iconic stories, and I was just thinking, oh my god, this guy has such a rolodex of like stories from all of his time, and so you know, actually they are like would you like Lionel Richie to be on the show. They were like, wouldn't that make a good duo? And I was like, yes, but I was nervous about Luke actually, because you know, she asking I literally was asking Lionel.
Speaker 2: I was like, what kind of guy is?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: You got you got background?
Speaker 6: Well, they asked me, They said, so who in country would you want? I said, get Luke Bryant right now. Now I knew Luke, but Katie did.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if Katie, I don't know if I can.
Speaker 6: And all of a sudden, I said, trust me, as soon as you meet him, you will know him as the oldest friend you ever had, and it will be.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, when you think about today, you know, we didn't really get Katie and I didn't get like a hangout'n. Yeah, we didn't have any of that. It was like the first time we met, it was it was New York City and editions.
Speaker 3: I was like, what is it going to be like?
Speaker 5: And then you know, it just took and and and then we gang up.
Speaker 3: Together and like now we're bringing like what becaussions.
Speaker 2: For no, No, it's it's terrifying. Yeah, it's terrifying.
Speaker 6: But I remember when I knew the ice was broken when I heard Katie go shut up and said and Lou said, oh god, Katie, what was wrong?
Speaker 2: I mean, what did I do?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: I said, they're going to be just fine.
Speaker 5: And then there was one time that first season that we were we were owned the filming lives and Katie literally under a breathlet I mean, she goes dragged me across the floor by my left arm, right and.
Speaker 1: That's actually the that's where the bass goes in her voice when she said, and.
Speaker 5: I was like, she's like, it'll be a great TV moment. I was like dragon and she fell on the floor. And you know that's.
Speaker 2: The chemistry was there.
Speaker 5: The chemists assault each other, you know, and everybody's cool.
Speaker 1: It was we're talking to the judges here in American Idol, Luke, Lionel and Katie and Lionel. You you know, as Katie said, you've seen so many legends. You know, so many legends you've told us the stories about that you are one of them. You're in that class. But you're also shaping current music with this show. So when you are out there looking at the talent that you see the people that come in what strikes you after seeing so many over the years.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's funny because I run into so many people saying I can't god, I can't believe you threw that particular person off. She was such or he was such a great singer. And I go, no, no, we're not looking for singers. We're looking for stylists. You follow me, and no one understands that. For a minute, I say, no, no, everybody can sing. That's why karaoke is so hot. You follow me. But what we're looking for is what's going to make you unique? Now that is the difficult part. And every year they come out with let me think about it, Alejandro, that's a unique fact.
Speaker 2: In other words, we didn't see him coming.
Speaker 6: And so now what people are getting the idea is we're now trying to find the next real artist, and not some great singer.
Speaker 1: Has seen these contestants perform. You see them in auditions, you see them on the live stage. Luke, has it influenced any of your live performances?
Speaker 5: When you go back to yourself, it makes me go sit at my piano and and work on stuff. And I tell you what too, You kind of have to It forces you to keep your finger on the pulse of too, because these kids are coming in singing this song. I think anytime you're you're all up in the middle of something fun and fresh and you got youth coming in front of you, it always energizes you and inspires you to stay current and relevant and be on your toes.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, you'd be surprised. And though I mean, for example, you think we're teaching them something, No, they're teaching us something because that's the next level of no fear, and the vocals aren't just staggering.
Speaker 2: Let me just tell you, it reminds you.
Speaker 4: To be grateful because there's, like, you know, hundreds and thousands of other kids that are just waiting in line for the opportunity that you actually have.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lucy Katie, we're playing your songs on a regular basis right here, and you think about the contestants that want that same thing in a way, right, I mean, that's what they want. And you look at the evolution of American Idol. It's changed over the years too, and you guys have navigated that. What intention did you have maybe in evolving the show with the times of what we see in music?
Speaker 3: Well, I think. You know, it's a different thing with us as judges.
Speaker 4: You've seen all the different judges that have come through the door, and I think we have been in their shoes.
Speaker 3: You know, we're working artists, we're on tour. You know we're coming in from tour.
Speaker 4: When we're actually filming exactly, so we know what it feels like to live a day in their shoes.
Speaker 3: And you know, we've all come from nothing and.
Speaker 4: Created this life of our own, so we can empathize, you know, some of their situations and know what they're talking about and give them real advice.
Speaker 3: Like and give them shortcuts. I think they respect us as artists.
Speaker 4: We respect them even when we're giving them top love or like constructive criticism, we're hoping that they win. We want every single kid that comes off of that show to win in their own way. Even if they don't win at the end, we want them to walk away with something that they can apply in real time and take them forward.
Speaker 1: And that's genuine, that's authentic, that's really literally.
Speaker 6: And then the most important part you have to remember is it's not about us. I mean, if you understand, we take their life under our wing. And so when someone walks in and says, you know, we're supposed to be talking about finding the next artist, the next American idol. And someone comes in and says, tell me about your family life, and they say.
Speaker 2: I'm homeless. Stop for a minute.
Speaker 6: You can't go to what song you're on to sing for us, You have to dive into let's talk about this homeless situation.
Speaker 2: How you deal with that?
Speaker 6: Now, that real audience, that real time moment is what breaks it down to. What's the difference between our show and anything else, because now we're now talking about real kids in their real lives and how what they're going to have to overcome to get to be a superstar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think what's amazing too is a lot of times we're getting this emotional about these kids, like on the fly, like we we haven't even seen, you know, their backstories. So by the time you know, these kids are just kind of captivating us in the room. Well then by the time the show can go edit their hometown and their struggles, and then the people at home watch us, you know, be emotional, and then and then we see these viral moments that start happening, and then we get on our text. I mean you know, I think the world needs to know that. I mean, Ryan, you're on the text chain too. I mean, we get fired up about these wonderful, beautiful moments, moments because a beautiful moment on American Idol is just beautiful for the show, and it's great for human I mean, I know it sounds it's great for people.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: In the elevator yesterday and the show aired Sunday night, and this gentleman it was probably my dad's age, right, and he kept sort of like looking at me, and I looked up when he said hello, and I said he And he said, can I just say something to you? And I said, sure, my name's Ryan, and do himself.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 1: I was crying last night because I was watching these stories of young people in our country on American Idol, and I just wanted to say it really it moved me. And that's to your point, like, yes, it's a show, Yes it's changing lives for those people, but it's also impacting people who are not even a part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but gosh, we need it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like it's telling the story of what America could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and it's a heavy morning this morning after some some very tragic news that we've been talking about you. So if you need a little escape and you want to feel something, check it out. American Idol Sunday and Monday, eight seventh Central. That is on ABC. Katy Perry, Atlanta, Richie, good to see you, guys.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me tell you something. You You are a superstar.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you, man, I don't know how you navigate all that you do, but you.
Speaker 2: We're so happy to have you a part of you.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to spend a lot of time in California with the