Speaker 1: Welcome back from a long weekend. Hopefully you enjoyed. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Your second Date podcast. Every weekend needs to be three days. It just makes your mental health so much better.
Speaker 2: It's like, who do we petition? I don't know for the four day we're targeting for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that we have enough pull, but but today we do have a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call for you to start your short work week.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're here. We love all your messages.
Speaker 1: I did spend some time reading through them over the weekend and replying to as many as I could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you say to look at tattooed Barbie said? The worst date I've ever been on ended with the dude peeing in front of my car, or what he insisted was the front of my car, not on the front of my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking at the tire and accident.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, and the date's even worse than that. If you need a story for an episode.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a grown Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you ever want to be on the show, all you have to go is to Brook and Jeffrey dot com.
Speaker 2: And there's there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right now.
Speaker 5: There's certain rites of passage that every boy must go through in order to become a man, like first time grilling a steak over an open flame, learning to.
Speaker 4: Shave with a razor.
Speaker 5: I still remember learning to shave with a butcher's knife.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, don't do that.
Speaker 5: And then, of course performing your first original song at your own bar mitzvah, which.
Speaker 6: Try to.
Speaker 5: This song doesn't scream masculinity at you.
Speaker 4: I don't know what does.
Speaker 5: But today one of our listeners is facing an even bigger life moment for any man, and the only thing standing in his way is his girlfriend's very scary, very traditional father. You're gonna understand why he's so terrified of calling him when we do your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 4: It's awkward. It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 5: On this show, we've been there and helped people through some pretty big life moments. Yeah for sure, Brook's wedding, Jose's Dirty thirty. We even had to help our technical director Ashton with his adult circumcision.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think it was just you.
Speaker 5: That was there for his I was in the hospital and holding his hand through the entire procedure.
Speaker 4: Ashton was really happy about that.
Speaker 2: It sounds funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we've been there for each other, and we're ready to be there for our listeners too during their big life moments, like today's caller Garrett, who reached out seeking our wise counsel. So, Garrett, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, thanks for having me?
Speaker 5: Or are you here row sort of surgery that you're seeking help with?
Speaker 8: No, no surgery, guys, But honestly, I've been dating my girlfriend Sienna for.
Speaker 7: Almost two years.
Speaker 9: Uh huh, Okay, I just feel like now is the time. So I'm looking to propose her.
Speaker 4: You want to do it on our show?
Speaker 7: Well, I know how I want to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it doesn't sound like that's okay?
Speaker 4: Not with that?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 4: Are we just helping? Don't blame you for that.
Speaker 2: I hope she doesn't listen. What if she hears that, you'll you'll ruin the surprise.
Speaker 7: No, she doesn't listen to you, guys. Sorry, she's kind of into other stuff.
Speaker 2: Wow, and you still want to marry your interesting to marry her?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, flag number one. Okay, I'm smart.
Speaker 5: So what made you come to us about like an awkward call? What do you need help with?
Speaker 9: So she goes from a very traditional family where they expect you to kind of ask the dad's permission.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't even come from a traditional family, and my husband didn't do this, and it's still kind of to this day.
Speaker 4: And I would ask a girl's dad.
Speaker 1: He's so close with my dad, they have such a good relationship.
Speaker 2: I'm like, how did you skip that?
Speaker 4: Is it too late for him to ask your dad?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: My dad may take him over me.
Speaker 5: Okay, well there's an option for you. But it sounds like, Garrett, this is really important. You want to talk to the dad before you pop the question to your girlfriend.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, And I'm kind of very nervous about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, wait, what kind of relationship do you have with her dad?
Speaker 7: We're pretty cool. I've met him a couple of times and hung out and stuff.
Speaker 5: So I think it's natural for a lot of guys to be nervous about talking to the dad about this subject.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's out of the norm. You want them to like you, and you want them to say yes. Right.
Speaker 5: Wait, if the dad says no, then you can't marry the daughter, right.
Speaker 9: How well?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm just I'm curious. Are you worried that he might say no to you?
Speaker 7: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 8: Apparently the two guys that Sanna dated before me already did this, and her dad no to both of them.
Speaker 2: Wait, got engaged twice before.
Speaker 7: That's its own pay.
Speaker 2: Don't be judge, alexis okay? Something they get asked a.
Speaker 4: Lot hot commodity?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so your dad said no to her previous boyfriends that asked so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, her dad said no to both. And here's the other thing too. Both of those relationships ended up breaking it up afterwards.
Speaker 5: That was the final is he's just gonna say no to everybody or he truly is, Like, I want my daughter to get married, but these guys aren't the one. Yeah, do you know why the dad said no to the other guys? Did that come up?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 8: Apparently he tests the guys by giving them a difficult hypothetical situations and seeing how they respond.
Speaker 5: If my daughter was a lamp, Yeah, how would you take care? Guy?
Speaker 2: Sounds exhausted?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sound traditional.
Speaker 1: As a good father, what you'd want is for your daughter to be even if she's making a mistake, like you support the people you love through that mistake at.
Speaker 4: Least one time.
Speaker 1: Wow, no, wonder you're nervous.
Speaker 8: Okay, well yeah, and like one of these hypothetical questions he likes to ask involves bears.
Speaker 4: Bears like the animal bears.
Speaker 9: Right, and he's an outdoorsy type of guy, so you know, I don't.
Speaker 7: Know if he wants to make sure we know how to protect his daughter.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm going to tell you. If it's a black bear, make yourself big. If it's a grizzly, just.
Speaker 4: Look, why are you giving your advice so early here? I mean, we need to save this report.
Speaker 5: I'm curious what to do about im polar bears, So save that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, there's the whole saying for it. Brown down, black, fight back, white lights again, we're blowing all.
Speaker 2: I want to know what to do with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah what anyway?
Speaker 5: What advice are you looking for from? Are you actually looking for bear knowledge?
Speaker 7: I'm just really nervous to do this by myself.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: I tried to read up on it Google, but Brook, I mean you probably know some bear facts, right, No, I mean she got your back?
Speaker 1: Do you not know the actual hypothetical they were given because I can't imagine him just going, what's your bear advice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good boy.
Speaker 9: I just know he does hypothetical sometimes he throws bears in there.
Speaker 7: You know, I really don't have a lot to go off on.
Speaker 2: He may switch it up and stuff.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be hard for me. I can't stand weirdly protective dads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's so weird again, Brook, this is not a show just about you and what your preferences are. This is about our listeners and what they need from us.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm just thinking out loud about yeah.
Speaker 5: Don't, don't, don't do any of those things. It's all bad thoughts that are coming out right now. Let's think of some good advice.
Speaker 9: Imagine if we could get her yes, and she can finally get married, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: She get married regarding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah, but it sounds like this would help. Clearly she values her dad's opinion on the man that she dates. So we need to come back with something solid to give to Garrett here.
Speaker 4: To make sure.
Speaker 5: That his girlfriend's dad doesn't say no when he asks.
Speaker 4: To marry his daughter.
Speaker 7: The dad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we are calling the dad. That's what you're saying, right, yeah, okay, okay, I'm kind of nervous to he's as intimidating as he actually sounds. Now we'll have some advice for you, and then we'll call this dad and let you ask him when you're awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 7: All right, thanks guys, All right, man, hold.
Speaker 4: On, it's awkward.
Speaker 5: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. If you're just joining us, we're either about to witness a really sweet moment between a young man and his future father in law or a really awkward moment between a father and the who's not good enough to marry his daughter.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, because that's why.
Speaker 5: That's what's on the line today, because our listener Garrett needs help calling his girlfriend's dad to get his blessing to propose to her, which.
Speaker 1: Sounds easy until you learn he told the last two dudes no.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it sounds like he's more of a traditional old school type of dad who's denied multiple proposal requests from past boyfriends, and all that Garrett knows is that he likes to ask hypothetical questions, possibly on the topic of bears.
Speaker 1: Apparently, his girlfriend just goes along with whatever her dad says. You know, it's really important to her.
Speaker 4: Relationships ended after the No.
Speaker 5: That's why Garrett needs our advice before making the call.
Speaker 4: So, Brooke, what do you have for him?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: You know, I grew up around a lot of these type of dads.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my dad, But what I've.
Speaker 1: Learned is you need to talk less, you need to listen more. You need to just tell them great things about themselves.
Speaker 2: Maybe ask for.
Speaker 1: A good story about their past, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Like his glory days. These type of guys for that you play football in high school.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That's a strategy for you there, Garrett, what do you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I can try that all right, that's good.
Speaker 4: Little nugget there, Jose what advice do you have?
Speaker 5: Well, he's a dad, so what do all dads like dad jokes?
Speaker 4: Brooke to give you.
Speaker 5: Started out by saying, what's the difference between a hippo and a zippo?
Speaker 4: One's really heavy and the others a little lighter. Did you write that down?
Speaker 7: Garrett?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm not sure he's the jokey type of dad, like he's inside.
Speaker 7: Of all dads.
Speaker 5: But okay, here my serious advice then, would be just to show him respect by calling him by his last name.
Speaker 7: Already do that, so I'll just keep doing it.
Speaker 2: That's how he introduced himself to you.
Speaker 5: Wild Let's see how this goes. If he picks up, I'm gonna dial his number right now. But you got this, Garrett?
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, thanks guys, we said you got this.
Speaker 2: You gotta go in with confidence, the sense fear. These type of dads.
Speaker 5: Don't think of him as your scary father in law. This is going to be like your best bud.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, never mind, there is real.
Speaker 6: Hold on Hello.
Speaker 7: Yeah, uh yeah, I'm mister, Yeah he do. Yeah, this is Garrett, Siana's boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Garrett. Okay, yeah, no time you are, just don't call me, just call me.
Speaker 9: Okay, But I mean, I'm just trying to show respect.
Speaker 7: It's important.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's all fine. Well, call me mister makes me seem like an old so I don't need that, So just just just just call me Larry. How that can you do that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: All right, sir?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, buddy, what do you call me about?
Speaker 8: So you know, Cianna and I have been together for a while now and you know, I really really liked your daughter a lot, and uh, I'd really love to kind of take our relationship to the next step.
Speaker 7: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: Then? You're gonna take her on a trip? Is that the deal?
Speaker 7: No? No? Uh? More like ask her to marry me? Really well, and I just wanted to be respectful.
Speaker 9: You know, it's important to get your permission first, out of respect.
Speaker 6: MM. So you want to marry my daughter? Right?
Speaker 7: It would be my honor, sir?
Speaker 6: Well, it would be just ask you a question, please do sir?
Speaker 7: I'm ready? Fine, all right.
Speaker 6: Well, well, let's say that you two get married and my daughter is treated unfairly at work. How do you respond to that? H?
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Uhh you know? I mean do you stand by her? Do you confront her boss?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: Do you encourage her to get a new job? What's your move? Dude?
Speaker 9: H sir, with all due respect, where's the bear?
Speaker 6: What? What? What bear?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 9: Sianna just said that the two guys before me, who you know, asked your permissi to marry her both of them failed.
Speaker 7: A question about bears.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure she should screwed with you.
Speaker 7: Wait? Wait, what what do you what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: The first guy who asked me, I said no because he was a damn mouth breather. And the second one he was one of them pony boys.
Speaker 7: Wait what Well, you know though.
Speaker 6: You know those grown men will like to dress up and horse out hit like the kid's cartoons. Yeah, and he kept wanting me to call him apple Jack.
Speaker 7: That name though.
Speaker 6: Well, what's going on? What's going on here?
Speaker 7: Sir?
Speaker 5: You're on the radio right now with a show We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, and.
Speaker 2: Man, can your daughter pick him?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 6: Would you like to explain what the hell's going on here?
Speaker 2: Budge?
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, sir, it's not going well. I ended up just trying to get some advice here because I thought you were going to ask about bears, and I wanted to be able to answer your question. So this was the most logical choice for me to give these guys a call and ask their advice.
Speaker 4: We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 5: He was really nervous about asking your permission to not your permission, but for your blessing to marry his daughter because he's heard it hasn't gone well in the past.
Speaker 1: And it matters to him because he knows that your daughter, which is sweet, she means a lot to him.
Speaker 6: You know, Garrett, Look, just tell me this. You're not going to be a problem for me, are you now?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, sir, No, sir, not not at all.
Speaker 2: What would be a problem for you?
Speaker 4: You don't dress up in horse outfits, now, do you? Garrett?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 4: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 7: Check this box up.
Speaker 2: That could have been a good guy that she missed out on.
Speaker 1: I mean, he sounds like he was a sensitive one.
Speaker 4: Larry doesn't approve of that.
Speaker 5: But what do you think about Garrett as a potential future son in law?
Speaker 4: To you?
Speaker 6: Well, he's a good kid's you can tell he's a little skittish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean very much. The potential is there.
Speaker 6: He's very respectful and all that stuff. I appreciate that, and I don't mean to make fun of him, but because it's easy, but.
Speaker 2: I can't appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Garrett.
Speaker 6: You can definitely ask her. Quite honestly, you're the only normal one she's ever brought around.
Speaker 2: Even though you never answered your question.
Speaker 6: No, I do have a question for him, So just tell me this first. It's you come home from work and there's a bear in the house. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 7: Question? Uh uh? I think if it's brown, you lie down.
Speaker 1: Or maybe don't go into the house to be getting Is there a bear in the house?
Speaker 6: Understand, But I'm just with you.
Speaker 1: Between you and your daughter, you're gonna tear Garrett apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does have a good sense of humor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I bet the dad joke.
Speaker 7: Would have worked.
Speaker 6: Bro, what dad joke?
Speaker 7: Hold on here, Garrett?
Speaker 4: Do you remember the joke?
Speaker 7: Oh? What? What is it?
Speaker 4: The what's the difference between hipo and a zippo?
Speaker 7: One's a little lighter?
Speaker 5: I got it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be You're gonna be a great husband one.
Speaker 2: Day, Jared.
Speaker 1: Freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: You know, that was actually kind of heartwarming in the end.
Speaker 2: It was actually really cute.
Speaker 1: Larry was d he was yeah, and apparently his daughter is too if she was trolling him with that baron the entire time.
Speaker 4: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 5: That was hilarious, And I hope that he keeps us updated on what happens when he does pop the question. I'm guessing she'll say yes.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's going to be so scared it's going to be in another three years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he definitely has a lot of nerves in there. But I just hope that Brooke, whenever your daughter is old enough that she comes to us for the awkward Tuesday phone call for anything in her life.
Speaker 2: So that she can ask for the blessing of the family.
Speaker 5: No, just any problems that she's facing, Like if she wants to know how to tell your mom politely, she shouldn't dance anymore at parties.
Speaker 4: She should feel free to come to us with that.
Speaker 2: She tells me that not politely, Jeff, she forgot it.
Speaker 5: Better way, Or how to ask your mom? How do I find my real father without hurting mom's feelings?
Speaker 4: We know, Yeah, we have a.
Speaker 2: Whole network of pe She looks nothing like her dad.
Speaker 5: I'm just to all the children out there listening who are growing into young adults about to face life's problems. We are here for you when the time comes, crash your parents car, how to tell them, Yeah, awkward Tuesday, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I feel like we got a three way Larry on. Some of these.
Speaker 5: Use his wisdom, but the first step to any successful life is hitting subscribe on, Brookie Jeffreys.
Speaker 4: So if you haven't done it. Smashed that subscribe button.