Speaker 1: Cut booms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers.
Speaker 3: In the penthouse.
Speaker 2: Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio and a Happy Saturday to you. We are sliding on in to a brand spanking new day every days fresh Audio. We got the Overnight Show during the week you yet that five days a week, the Original Recipe podcast, which is the Overnight Show repackage in the podcast, and then on the weekends you get the Fifth Hour podcast. Danny's on with Covino and Rich during the weekend. He joins me on the weekends, and we formed Voltron here on Saturday, and normally we start with some dope holiday and all that. But the Dodger game last night with the Detroit Tigers, you shouldn't talk about that. It's just one regular season game. It's game number four. Nobody cares about game number five. Listen, that's fine. You know the Dodgers at this point, as we as we sit here early on Saturday morning, the Dodgers are undefeated and they could be the first Dan I don't think this is hyperbole, the first one hundred and sixty two game winner. This could be it. This could be an undefeated team during the regular season. But what a game. The Detroit Tigers, who are supposed to be a playoff team this season. They were a playoff team last year. The Tigers and the Dodgers were up against it a couple of times and then they end up winning it in extra innings. Will Smith tied it and then Mookie Betts. I thought Mookie had a parasite Danny? Is that what happened?
Speaker 3: I was told that he was on death's doorstep?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can I get if I can hit home runs, I'll take a pair of site. You lose weight and hit home runs? What's up with that? Maybe he just wanted to get out of Japan early. He had something he had to do. But man, a couple of home runs last night. So the Dodgers are Is it over?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What's the magic number? Do we know what the magic number is for the Dodgers. We determined. Have we done the math on that?
Speaker 3: Do you know the stat the last time the Dodgers started a season four?
Speaker 1: And oh, I don't I remember they had I think like Joe Tory was man. They had a really good start with toy But well, I don't I didn't see the stat.
Speaker 3: What was the stat? It was actually their nineteen eighty one World Series title year.
Speaker 1: Oh is it even? Well that was the sort of Dodgers back in the day, Yes, back to the old school. All right, well listen, they're they're doing great, but we still have let's see we have we're not even April yet. Wow, wonderful start. And it was weird though. I saw on my phone got a message that Max Munsey hit a home run. But it was the guy for the A's. It wasn't the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Max Munsei. Our Max Munsey in southern California is in a slump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well see, not everyone's gonna be playing well. You got to pace it where like if Mookie's playing well and Freddie Freeman and then they go into a slump and then Munsey starts hitting. As long as you have a couple guys that are hitting, you're gonna have a couple guys in a slump. And that's the hot baseball. Speaking of baseball, I did love you know, I just I don't know if it's the podcast, but I saw this story. The Tampa Bay Rays took the field on Friday for their season opening game. They played the Rockies, and you know who cares whatever it was at their spring training the Yankee Spring Training Stadium and the broadcast of Tampa Bay they the crowd MIC picked up the fans serenading in the ballpark. Sell the team, which was just outstanding. Just the ten out of ten out of ten. It's your first broadcast, sell the team. Just uh, just wonderful.
Speaker 3: Anyway, last night I simultaneously had the Dodgers game on and the Houston game as they were able to hang on versus per Due.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did. I was focused more on the Dodger game. We actually went to uh Top Golf, which you know you've you've been there. It's it's a fun fun thing to fut's around. And there was mostly Dodgers. There weren't too many people into the college basketball where I was, and I was checking my phone.
Speaker 3: Are you more skilled at top golf or acts throwing?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm great at both, as you know. And I don't believe some edited video. You know, some edited video clip. You know that some dope tried to make me look bad. It's probably AI was used in that and in the minute so to meet and greet. But no, the top golf thing. The only problem with top golf and I talked about we went a few weeks back, or I don't know, it's maybe been a couple of months. The problem with top golf is it really depends on where the bay is. It's a massive building, it's three or four stories or whatever, so it depends what part of the thing you're in the sight lines, and then you're almost better off hitting it shorter and adding a lot of points because if you hit it far, you got to be more accurate. So there's a lot goes into it. This is not that easy. But I won that. We played a couple of rounds and I won both. But I was like, I was terrible for most of it, but I just hit a couple of good shots and I was able to pull it out. But normally in the past that has not not been the case as far as the Sweet sixteen though, the number one, number one seeds both winning last night. Right, so we have Auburn one, Houston one. So all the higher seeds won last night and we have the Elite eight. You're not a gambler, right then? You know? You know bet on these things, right, you know?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I pay attention to it for the sake of talking about it on the radio, but yeah, I don't actually put any of my real money on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you've got all that radio money, you know what. You know, you're so loaded.
Speaker 3: Hey, come on, man, I'm gonna have to put go through school. I'm gonna put him through cal State Northrage.
Speaker 1: There you go, El Matador, all matter. So what do we have we have today? What is the card today? We've got trying to think the Elite eight? So we have what do we got? Texas Tech and the Duchies? What's that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do? And we you know we got the Duchies playing, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Sunday Games, the games tomorrow. Yet Auburn is five and a half over Michigan State and Houston is four and a half over Tennessee. I don't I don't see the duke line. I do see a Florida Florida and Texas Tech. Florida is a six and a half point favorite in that game. I did want a couple of things I want to bring up later on. We'll have the idiom of the week. We got these Sports Talk Airbnb, Bottomless fro Yo and the travel quagmire. The travel quagmire always a fun always a fun thing. But we'll begin with this. I should have mentioned this yesterday. Bad job by me. I got carried away with baseball props on the Friday podcast, so I did not bring this up. But the big story that we men everyone talking about this. It was the talk of the town. People were so excited. The Fox Sports Radio Alumni Association, one of the newest members of the Fox Sports Radio Alumni Association, made the rare and appropriate visit back to the Holy Land, and we welcome back our Fred, Eddie the Great Eddie Garcia stop by and.
Speaker 3: I saw the photos you posted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we took some photos and stuff and Sirius Sean was with him. And so it was the Sports Talk Airbnb in beautiful Sherman Oaks, and it was wonderful to see Eddie and a number of people reached out to me, fans of the show, and they were like, what's going on? How did this happen? What led to this? Did you reach out to Eddie? Did Eddie reach out to you? What happened? And so I'll let you in on behind the scenes a little bit. Uh. First, I want to I want to thank the management of Fox Sports Radio because they could have been like total dicks and been like, you know, you can't let Eddie back in. What are you doing? You know? None of that.
Speaker 3: They were, Yeah, you might bulkar race all of the desktop computers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, something unforeseen might happen. Yeah, if he can get into those those computers, the top computers from like nineteen ninety four and really really messing. But but but no, they were they were cool and.
Speaker 3: Tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly, So none of those concerns happened. But but no, the reason Eddie was there is mainly because of Sirias Sean. So Siaus Sean is all grown up. He lives in Phoenix. But Sean has been a super fan of the show going back. It's been man, it's been like ten years or so.
Speaker 3: And thanks to you, we're all super fans. Of his delivery service. Oh, that's right, Sean, to see where he's delivering all his food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to explain to Sean. He said, what do you call me that name? Mister non secret or whatever. I had to explain to him, but made me nauseous. But no, But so Sean started listening to He was in high school, and you know, a tough high school sucks for everybody's for some people, it sucks more than other people. And Sean got picked on a lot in high school and people were total assholes to him. And so he loved our show. And one of his teachers actually hooked us up with Sean to come visit the studio, and we loved hanging out with him, and we brought him into our little world. And Sean moved on from that and he's all. He left La. He lives in Phoenix and he delivers, as Danny referenced, he delivers food, drives car service Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Hey, that was cool. I'll never forget when he came to the studio. You want to talk about somebody in the presence of what they considered Disneyland, he did not want to leave. Yeah, that's the most blown away I've seen any visitor.
Speaker 1: And Danny it made us feel important. You know, sometimes you're there and.
Speaker 3: You're in the middle.
Speaker 1: You know, you're in the what's the line, you're in the forest, you can't see the trees, you know you're you're in there, and you just to see him mesmerized and hypnotized by the studio and just like everything in the building. And he was so excited, he was dancing, and it was like it was really cool. It's a magical place for him. And so that was neat. That was neat. And so we've kept in contact with Sean, and as I said, Sean lives in Phoenix now, and so he comes back to southern California a couple of times a year, and since we're buddies since he was in high school, we always try to welcome him back in because it means so much to him to come see the show and to be part of the show and all that, and so we make sure to welcome him in. And then now that Eddie's unfortunately not with us, and you know, he's still alive, but just not.
Speaker 3: On the show.
Speaker 1: He's Sean's really good friends with Eddie. Maybe a little too close to Eddie. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so edd Doc Jim, I heard, no, no, the paperwork go through.
Speaker 1: Sean follows Eddie around like a puppy dog. It's amazing. But but anyway, so Sean was pestering Eddie, how about shut up to get my schedule because after Doc Mike my neurosis from Doc Mike, where Doc I give him his number. I gave him my number when he went to jail, and Doc still calls me regularly. Even though I said, only call me one time when you get out of jail, he still calls me. So I don't give out my number. I'm very very rare. A couple of times I've done it rare and appropriate, but I generally don't do it. So Sean doesn't serious. Sean does not have my number. So Eddie reached out to me on behalf of serious Shawn. He said, hey, Sean's going to be you know, in town. He wants to come by and see it. And I said that's great, And he said, why why don't you Why don't you come with him, we'll hang out, you know, And Eddie's like, well, you know sure, And Eddie goes to bed early. Now he doesn't work the late hours. He does not have the the odds schedule that we overnight people have. And but Eddie was cool with it. He wanted to come on, and I said, yeah, come on, you can promote whatever you want to promote. He's got a new podcast that he's starting, a hockey podcast next month that he wanted to promote. And so yeah, I mean, I'm sure there's plenty of you know, plenty of ways you can can go about this.
Speaker 3: You can listen to any of Canadians listening.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, exactly. So so that's kind of the origin. It's because of serious Sean and and Eddie was nice enough to come in there and hang out and was it was really nice to see him. And you know, he's doing as good as can be expected under the conditions and all that he's he's loving all the hockey podcasts. He's doing three, well, starting next month, he'll be doing three hockey podcasts. And so you can find that where you find this podcast. And so thanks to Siria Sean and then I had to explain to Sean. Sean had no idea. I said, he was annoyed every time he would post about Hey, I made ten dollars tip. You know, I took this package to and Sean would be annoyed because I'd say, you're mister non secutor guy or man or whatever, and I don't know what that means, you know. And so I then had to explain to him that the non sequitors that we're talking about one thing and you bring up something that is not related at all, a non sequitur. And I explained it to him, Danny, and I still am ninety eight percent sure he had no idea what I was saying. But I did explain it to him. I did explain it to him. It just kind of like went in one ear and out the other. The other thing about Siria Sean is this guy. He loves radio, and he loves the train. He loves Amtrak. He takes the train from Phoenix to la He's taking the train all the way to the East coast, He's taking it up to the northwest, Pacific Northwest. So he loves radio and Amtrak. He should have been born much earlier, right. Imagine if Sean had been around when radio ruled the roost, like in the nineteen thirties or something like that, before before television he could have taken trains and listened to the radio and it would have been amazing. That would have been his life and it would.
Speaker 3: Have been a huge Lone Ranger fan too.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, see Tonto and all that. Anyway, but it was fun and then Sean the night ended, Eddie went his way, and we'll have Eddie on again and all that, and it was nice. It was not a bottomless fro yo though. It was not that Danny, definitely not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well I didn't get a bottomless fro yo either. What I did get was a big dent to my debit card. I'm gonna blame this one on the wife. As I usually get home around seven pm after doing post production for Covino and Rich and then sitting in beautiful bumper to bumper traffic in Los Angeles, I get a text message usually and it'll say something like I'm really craving frozen yogurt. Not a big deal. It's like two exits off my path, so I have to continue to go north to get to the yogurt land here in our area. Now, Benny, we've talked about it, you know, so much throughout the past few years, especially on the podcast inflation and how much food is right now groceries. Price at groceries sucks. Should you go sit down at Chili's or should you go through a drive through? Or should you get two bags of groceries for one hundred and fifteen dollars? You know, for two little bags.
Speaker 1: I was at the story the other day I bought I bought a bag of like free do's and it was like six dollars and forty cents or I mean for one little half a bag of chips. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's ridiculous right now. One of the stops I made breakfast stuff we needed to like sour dough and the thing of peanut butter, and it was like four or five random items we needed self checkout and the total said like thirty two dollars. And I'm like, I fucking have four or five things right here. Price is killing us all over the country right now, Little taste, there aren't any sweets inside the house, so you know, we'll chop up bananas, strawberry, We'll put some granola on the froyo at home to save money. All I do is I get one big cup and I do the swirl. I get the froyo in the cup. They put it on the scale, and it's not the cheapest treat, but it's usually not what it was a couple of evenings ago. Okay, this is just a cup of froyo that I could split in half. How much was that froyo? Don't pull an eddie.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to pull an eddie. My lips have been on it all right, five fifty Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe in the year two thousand and eight it was eighteen dollars and fifty eight cents.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you eat it was nine over nine dollars each. Wow, you could still buy couldn't you buy a gallon of ice cream or something like that?
Speaker 3: Froyo is healthier than ice cream. Yeah, don't eat ice cream. Yeah. The only that's the only dessert we get once in a while is frozen yok We're gonna have to think about it twice now, because as I was driving home, I was thinking to myself, did I really almost pay nineteen dollars? Right now? Frozen yogurt?
Speaker 1: You get some little gold toppings or something like that, or diamond toppings.
Speaker 3: It was just frozen yogurt, So.
Speaker 1: You didn't get any topics.
Speaker 3: I mean in any that only we'd say in a nutshell, We'll say in a frozen yogurt cup. That explains the situation right now, with all these places gouging us.
Speaker 1: You're better off just buying your own frozen yogurt machine for the house and renty and then you can have it whenever you want and you'll you'll save money. That is that is insane? Is that just an LA thing? That Maybe that's a valley pricing thing. You know, you're you're not far from the Kardashians. Maybe it's because of them.
Speaker 2: A bunch of hookers and cocaine.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 3: I took a note of it, and I was like, man, I gotta do the guessing game with Ben on this one. He's not gonna come close. Took a snapshot of the receipt and I'm gonna save that now for my accountant. At the end of the year, I'm gonna write this yogurt off.
Speaker 1: That's good And because of this podcast, it's a business related expense. And that's the reason I'll be starting a travel vlog, just so I can write off all of my travel expenses. We're going to do a YouTube channel of just me traveling. What whenever I go anywhere, and then it's all it's all gonna be a tax right off, So the travel quagmire. It is that time of the year. We're almost into April. This is the final Saturday show of the Fifth Hour in the month of March, and the last Saturday because there are no worse Saturdays in the month of March. And so nonetheless, look at looking around at the calendar, trying to map out when the weather gets good and where we're gonna end up and mallard meet and greets and travel and seeing family and whatnot and friends, and so I'm trying to logistically plan out how far in between events I would like to have these things, because you want to map everything. It's all about planning, right. I love it when a plan comes together. So we have an event scheduled, although not booked. I'm not going to give the exact details, but it's going to be in late May early June in Vancouver, so we will be in Vancouver. Barring some kind of unforeseen change in circumstance, we will be in Vancouver in late May early June. That like that last weekend where it crosses over. So that's the plan. That's the plan. And then after that, I want to get to Ohio. I have been promising this and we've done very well. The podcast number two state behind California for downloads has been recently Ohio with a lot of listeners, and so I wanted to go. And the main reason I'm going to go is because, Yeah, I'm going to see Dick. I'm gonna gonna hang out with Dick in Ohio. And he's been much like Sirias Sean, will as much as you can handle, but no, no, so so Sirias Sean, as you referenced Danny, just that that sparkle in his eye when he walked into the radio station, you know, just a magical just a magical place, and how special that was. And Dick and Dayton, who's much older than Sirious Shawn Sean's just early on in his life. But Dick and Dayton, he looks at radio the same way. It just ignites something in him, you know, it just makes him happy, just makes him happy. And I I'd love to meet him. He's called me for years. I've talked to this guy probably for twenty years now while he's called the show. And I'll never forget some of those early calls when I was doing the weekend show and I worked every holiday, and he called me up on Thanksgiving and he is so happy as could be. You know, no family, no friends, just me and he'd call us up and I had Thanksgiving dinner and how much you spend deck five dollars? Five dollars for Thanksgiving dinner? He was so excited about it. So no, but I want to meet him. I want to meet Justin in Cincinnati, just Josh ohioil like all the legends that are in the state of Ohio. Some of you guys I've met. We had a few dudes came out to Vegas and various other meet and greets that we've had. So I'm planning on getting to oh Hi, and I'm thinking it's going to be sometime in June. I have a date in my head. I'm not going to give it out right now, so I'm trying to figure out the logistics. We need a venue, and we need a date and a venue. So there's a gentleman who is a big fan of the Fifth Hour podcast. In fact, he sends us stories right about the stories from the bar and things that happened and whatnot, and we enjoy those stories. We think those are those are good stories, and they're fun for the podcast and all that. And so he is offered. He runs a restaurant in Columbus, and he's like, hey, we're let's make this happen. You know, we got an establishment here. His name Zach, and he's been very kind and very popular bar in Columbus. He's the big shot, he's the big cheese over there, and it's a hockey bar. And he's like, hey, well, why don't you, you know, come down, we'll hang out, we'll have a good time and all that stuff. So I want to do it, but I'm looking to try to get from and I talked about this in the previous episode of this podcast. Logistically, to get from LA to Columbus, there are no direct flights, which is I'm not a bougie bitch. I can stop somewhere, right, Danny. I'm able to stop somewhere. In fact, I actually like stopping because it breaks up the flight. What I don't like is stopping and then having enough time to eat two meals at an airport because the next flight is six seven hours later.
Speaker 3: I don't need you want the you want the layover to be about an hour hour and a half max.
Speaker 1: Exactly, time to get out of the plane, take a whiz, maybe get something to eat if you know, I don't eat, but the wife or whatever eats, and then move on to the next plane. The logistics are terrible because there's no direct flights to Columbus, and I could fly into Columbus, or I could fly into Cincinnati, which is a little easier, but then you got to drive from Cincinnati to Columbus. Or I could fly into Cleveland and then go down to Columbus. But either way it's a lot of driving. It's a lot of driving.
Speaker 3: Now, are the two iHeart private jets not available for these dates?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you bring that up, and I did try to get that, but apparently your buddy Clay has it one of them, and then I believe Seacrest has the other one, and then and I'm not even third, by the way, I think Steve Harvey has He's next line if one of those opened up. Unfortunately. Yeah, yeah, it's it's sad. So anyway, that's where I met, and I've I did ask for some help from someone in Ohio. If there was another location, maybe in Cincinnati or Cleveland. At this point, I did get an email from another big fan of the show who say, Hey, I you know I live. I live in Toledo. Why don't you just fly into Detroit. You can drive down to Toledo and then it's close enough to everywhere you need to be. So I looked into that, and so I'm still I'm still debating what's gonna happen, and I don't have anything official on that. I'm just basically venting, Danny. That's really what I'm doing here. I'm just basically venting.
Speaker 3: You know. By the way, Russia Limbaugh's ashes are fourth in.
Speaker 1: Line, as they should be, Megadiddo's as they with one ash tied behind its back. Yes, but but no. Brian was the very nice gentleman who I kicked his ass at scrabble. I believe he's given up at scrabble. I've beaten him so bad. And he was very kind, and he said he knows some people with the mud Hens, and you know, maybe there and be something there and and I could even go to like a mud Hens game, which will be kind of cool. I actually have a Mudheads hat that's in my my rotation. And it's an old hat. It's the it's the classic mud actually a listener from Ohios and it's a classic mud Hens hat they used to wear on this show called mash back in the Stone Age and all that. So that's the travel quagmire. So basically it's just me complaining and I haven't figured it out. I'll let you know when we come up with a with a date and all that. The idiom of the week. Are you ready for the idiom of the.
Speaker 3: Week of the week? All right?
Speaker 1: This one requested by Steve O. That's not Steve. It says Steve O. STEVEO is in the Great State of Arizona. I assume he's in Phoenix because or the Phoenix area, because that's where most people in Arizona live. But he did not say Steve BO. He just said Steve OO from Arizona. So I'll just assume Phoenix. And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, who cares? So he says, use this from time to time on the show in a pickle And where did that come from? I'd like you to tell me the story, says Steve O. Big fan of the Overnight show and occasional I like, how about this daddy occasional Fifth Hour listener. I hope he's listening, Steve, I hope you're listening anyway. In a pickle, which I think is pretty obvious that you're in an awkward, tough situation. Now, I think I've used this STEVEO in the past, but maybe not. I feel like I've used this on this podcast in the past, but possibly not. And this is also a tribute to alf the alien opiner who loves pickles. It's one of the weak spots. He's really good in every other area other than his love of pickles. So the in a pickle phrase in lexicon really started with William Shakespeare and his play The Tempest, where the pickle meant being drunk and being drunk, and it's obviously evaulved over the years has become in a difficult situation. But in The Tempest, King Alonzo asked his gesture, how comest thou in this pickle? Meaning how did you get so drunk? Okay, the early meaning of pickle seventeenth century meaning pickled heavily intoxicated. And then over the years it became that you're in a troublesome situation and you're being pickled, which is in a difficult state. And in my modern times it means to be in a difficulty awkward situation like a pickle stuck in the jar, and that fermentation and all that. So the idiom of the week in a pickle. You can in many ways think William Shakespeare and you want to fall down a rabbit hole, and you got a lot of time on your hands, just start searching phrases from William Shakespeare that are still used today. It is insane the amount of things that we say day to day that either were popularized popularized by Shakespeare or or he came up with on his own, next level, next level. All right, we'll get out on that. Join the college basketball today. I got to get some stuff moving around here today, so I'll be be busy, busy, busy, Danny, what are you going on here?
Speaker 3: Gonna watch Texas Tech at Florida and then Alabama at Duke.
Speaker 1: All right, watch some college basketball today. We'll be back on Sunday with a mail bag. It's all about the mailbag. Have a wonderful rest of your Saturday.
Speaker 3: Later, skater, my folation