Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Strictly Business, the podcast in which we speak with some of the brightest minds working in the media business today. I'm Andrew Wallenstein with Variety. Twenty years ago, Jeb Terry got an eye full of the NFL up close when he made the roster of teams like the forty nine Ers and Buccaneers as an offensive guard. Today, he's playing a very different position, but still getting an eyeful of the sports world as CEO of Cosm, a fascinating new business enabling fans to see games in specially designed venues with customized screens so massive you can trick your brain into thinking you're watching court side. We'll be back to talk about this business with Jeb in just a moment, and we are back with Cosm CEO Jeb Terry. Jeb, thanks for making the time to talk to me.
Speaker 2: Andrew, appreciate you having me on. Excited to share more about COSM.
Speaker 1: So we got to start with just explaining the experience. I had the honor of going down to your la facility. I got to see it. Describing it though, I just want to make sure let's talk about it like you were telling your grandma. The what the cosm experience.
Speaker 2: Is, Well, what we can all agree on is that it's a must sy to believe. When you try to describe it, you use words like immersive, experiential, hires, all these you know, really compelling word choices, and you kind of sounded a hyperbolic at times. But at the end of the day, this whole thing is about a concept that we call shared reality. It's leveraging all the amazing immersive technology that's out there in market, some of the stuff that we built ourselves, but leaning into the experience economy, and it's this notion of wanting to be with a crowd, having fun, celebrating the energy of the room, and it's about being the best watch party.
Speaker 3: That's really what cousms about.
Speaker 1: Technically speaking, though, let's talk about it from that perspective. Explain in terms of the size of these screens. The resolution wow us with the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's essentially a twenty six meter diameter LED display that's twelve K resolution that wraps up and around you and over your head where hundreds of fans can sit within this dome environment and see eight K plus resolution that our media team is producing to put you in that best seat in the house. We're switching cameras, we're following the action. We're really giving the fans that incredible first person experience like they're actually at the event itself, and we do it live. So this is something that's really technologically advanced. That is a net new offering and market and a new experience that we're seeing people really enjoy.
Speaker 1: And look, like I said, I was there in La I could vouch for this. And the thing I want to make clear to people because obviously you got to see it to believe it. A podcast isn't the best place to describe the experience. But you know, there's lots of technologies like I'll think about Apple Vision Pro where it's more like you could see where the product is going. It's not quite there yet, your product it's there. I mean, I'm sure you're going to innovate it and make it even better in the coming months or years. But this is a fully baked vision, wouldn't you say, Or am I maybe selling it short and it's got a lot more to go?
Speaker 2: No, this is a very well I'll say it's well baked. There's always room for improvement, and the fact of the matter, is by owning our own technology stack and everything around it, we're always going to continue to improve. That's that's the core of our whole company ethos. One of the things we like to say is we are the venue of now, not the venue of the future. The venue of the future implies obsolescence. We always want to be now, whether it's today or ten years from now. We want to be the best of breed experience, showcasing the best technological advancements possible, and that's why we built the company that way. But we feel great about the fan feedback we've been getting the experience. We're seeing seeing the fan reaction coming in for the first time and then watching fans come back, and we're starting to see people come back time and time again for the same sport category or even other sports or other entertainment offerings. And that's what's really gratifying is when you can see that fan them light up when they see the experience and they experience the food and drinks and everything around it. That's core to it. And one of the things Andrew I missed probably was that the F and B offering is really part of this whole entire shared reality experience. We want to make sure you have great food, great drinks, comfortable seeding. It's not a theater, and we give all those amenuties you might expect at club or VIP sections of these arenas and stadiums being built today.
Speaker 1: We should also make clear that the LA facility is just one building you have in market. There is a second, I believe in Dallas, and a third coming to Atlanta and a big number projected for twenty thirty. Walk us through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So our goal is to take COSM global. You know, we've been working on this a while and we built the whole back end so that we can scale this. It's why we opened two essentially at the same time, is to really define that multi point thesis. We've announced Atlanta and we have big, big aspirations to take this from now to open to over one hundred one day. That's that's our goal. We really think that's achievable because we look at all these major markets both in the US and internationally and they can support that COSM location. And we've been working on this real estate scale to continue to widen those opportunities and grow. You know, I'd love to one point get to where we're opening ten a year. We're not there yet, but that's aspirationally where we're going. As we get to this big scale and each venue Andrew is a essentially a node in a network. We can take the same feed and distribute it all around, really increasing that overall audience or that single source and addressing the demand in various markets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you know, going to be interesting to see how you scale. And I'm curious about the financial side of this. I think you guys recently got a two hundred and fifty million dollar infusion that values the company at a billion dollars. Sounds like a lot, but the truth is these facilities probably cost a ton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really comfortable with what our facilities are costing right now. We didn't go into this thinking anything's going to be a loss leader, and we structured this to ensure that we can monetize these venues properly and justify the capex it costs to build these things. So as we look at this scale, we raise the money for pure growth capital. It is about deployment and scaling more and more and more on a single site. These are operationally profitable. This is why how we structure this business. But it's about this long term scale and the viability of the enterprise and the valuation that you mentioned. It's really indicative of the enterprise that we've built. We're not just a single venue builder. We have our COSM Media and our Technologies orgs where we sell through our technology and services to the broader ecosystem across a lot of different industries. So we really have a good steady state of monetization of where we're going and a number of opportunities that we're going to be deploying our technology and expertise around the world in addition to everything we're doing in the venues.
Speaker 3: So think of the.
Speaker 2: Venues as the best consumer expression of our brand and all of our tech. But everything you see in there, from the display to the production, to the app to the back end XMS system is CAUSM and that's really where that valuation is supported. In those scale opportunities as well.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about the origin story of COSM, because I was interested to learn that you guys have your roots in the planetarium business, which actually makes a ton of sense. It's just I've never even thought about that as a business.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing when you sit back and think about it, You're like, oh, I kind of get it.
Speaker 3: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: So the planetarium, it's the first immersive or experiential venue ever created the goals to take into space. And you probably remember one of the first times you went in, right that that awe inspiring surprise and delight as a kid when you went into a planetarium. And so when we set out to bring the CAUSEM vision to life, we looked at all these opportunities and how do we make this happen? And my chairman and I my chairman a guy named Steve. When we're ideating around how do you make this thing happen, I'll say Steve when the I not the y okay, I was like a second to clarify. Yeah, So really thinking through this, and he already known he'd always been fascinated with the planetariums and and really had understood and had a lot of passion for it. And so looking at it, it's like, wow, this planetarium is underlying technology is pretty incredible, and so we could leverage that tech to do more things, and it turned out it made sense for us to acquire that business. So today we are still the largest planetarium company in the world. We power over seven hundred globally, and so that software has been hardened over time, decades and decades, and so it's not like we just came up with something and slapped together and opened a venue, right, it's that infrastructure that's been built, and so now we're able to leverage a lot of that same core discipline of putting data in cool dome surfaces and now bring that to life within our venues. You know, the prevailing game engines of the world today, like Unreal and Unity we are Our engine is very similar to that, and we're compatible with both engines, and so you can drag and drop and bring content from all types there. We've also acquired two other companies. One was Livelike VR. We bought that company in twenty twenty as a carve out of Live Like and they are a VR production company for live sports. A great team, had great tech. We had the opportunity to buy that business and bring it in and we still service that industry. So we produce immersive content. We worked with the Olympics and the World Cup and a number of others. We work with a number of headset providers today. And then we also bought a company called C three sixty, which is really known for the pylon camera on NFL Sundays. So if you watch NFL, you know when the guy's diving over the goal line and they cut to that camera. Yep, that is us a majority of the time. And so having this tech deployed and all this unique capture methodology, we're able to bring that in in one house. We call it Cosm, So that's the Cosmos meets the coliseum.
Speaker 1: It's funny you bring up the brand name because I get it now, but I still think this new business of yours needs its own brand name that is a little more evocative of the experience my two cents. So I don't know if that's something you're even thinking about.
Speaker 2: Well, so it's interesting you say that. When we were coming up with the name, you know, really, this this combination of Cosm of Colisseum and the Cosmos, like the science education vertical, is critical to who we are. It's part of our foundational elements. It will always be important. So we really wanted to pay respect to that industry and our clients there. And of course the Colisseum side Cosm was also a four letter domain we could own, which is was did did you know? Is meaningful to think about? But early days we were laughing. It's we want to be like the Q tip of the experience economy. Who would have known a Q tip is a cotton swab on a stick, right, and who wouldn't know what the useful? But I say a Q tip and you know exactly what that is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So hard to explain. So that's the beauty of trying to define a category. You have to be comfortable being misunderstood in the beginning, and then when you get the aha moment, hopefully we can drive traction and all the earned media will build what that brand is and what cosm really means.
Speaker 1: Well in terms of defining the category, you know, the obvious comparison here is going to be the Las Vegas sphere, which there's similarities, but there's also a lot of big differences, and so I'm just curious, like, how do you are you dealing with that in the marketplace right now where people just assume that is what you are, How do you see that?
Speaker 2: We really view this as a rising tide type of analysis, right, The immersive form factor and the sphere is an amazing facility. I've been there. What they've done is really technologically very very difficult, and they've been able to make it incredible and the content they have it's a great experience. And at the macro level we agree it's we are both building technology led human experiences that leverage amazing audio and visual We approach it differently. You know what they've done with music and experiential cinema and things like that that has been really, really impressive. We really focus on the live side of it, like the live virtually live content in and all the production around that, and our form factors are very different. We're looking at a much more small, intimate form factor that we want to take multiple spots around the world, and that's a core differentiation. And then you know, we both believe in a leveled up experience. We want great hospitality, all those things. But there are, like you said, quite a lot of differences within the business models and the form factors and everything we're doing. And then one of the other things that we focus on is really multi day part programming, where we view each venue like a TV channel where live sports is the hero, and then we fill in day parts around that to make sure we have a vast programming slate to have an always on type of mentality.
Speaker 1: And you guys, I think just recently signed a deal with the NFL for some programming there. What is that about.
Speaker 2: So now we've been able to showcase NFL games and shared re cosm and something we're really proud of being able to do. We've started with Thursday Night football, which is great. We've been able to showcase some of that Sunday night football as well, and we're going to be continuing to expand on that slate of offerings and look forward to sharing more when the time is right. But we've been really really you know, privileged to be able to work with the NFL. Will never well, you know, at the end of the day, we're never going to be better than that stadium experience, right, That's one of the things that we want everyone to know. There's nothing like being in a live stadium arena, but for those away games, for the times people can't get into the venue, when they can't make it there, we're a fantastic offering and that's what we're seeing come to life now and being able to add NFL programming to our slate has been fantastic and something we've been working on for a while with them.
Speaker 1: We will hear more about the worlds of sports and COSM coming together. In just a minute with more with Jeb Terry, and we are back with Cosm CEO Jeb Terry. We're just talking about the NFL plank of the sports content that you guys do. I guess it helps that you already had technology in these stadiums and so these leagues were familiar with you. And the reason I say it is because essentially we're talking about is you have a set of rights deals with these leagues and that is no small matter. I would imagine it could also be very expensive. What is it like dealing with the leagues?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm a sports guy through and through, layering technology and media throughout, and honestly, it's a privilege to be able to do it just full stop. The opportunity to work with some of these things and deliver that prize content to fans in a new way. It really is a privilege that we take very serious. The responsibility to represent these brands matters most. A lot of the reason we've had success is as being a known entity in this ecosystem, being able to be a technology service provider, to a lot of these leagues is important. Being able to work within the broadcast construct and framework is important.
Speaker 3: Myself.
Speaker 2: A lot of my colleagues were at Fox Sports and other places, and so understanding how that all works and ensuring we can fit in with our production and add value back to the other stakeholders matters. So, yeah, we are a technology provider, we are also a rights buyer, and so that all centers around just a trusted relationship and a partnership that we've been developing all the way back to when I played and then having some of the knowledge of the inner work is how this all fits together, and you have to approach it in a really humble, respectful way. You can't be a distracting science project, right. You need to come in and know that the linear proposition and the end stadium experience that is the hero, that is the product, and how do we fit in and extend that right, help create additional offerings around that construct and approach it very humbly. We've done that, we've been able to enjoying some success there, and now it's our responsibility to execute and live up to our expectations and their standards so that we can continue these relationships.
Speaker 1: And I just want to underline what you're saying for those who might think that we're speaking maybe a little too reverently about these kind of things. But I think it's because the opportunity here really is huge if and it is really a gigantic if you guys can carve out what is sort of a new window of viewing that is a sort of a midpoint between the home remote experience and the in stadium and if you could do that and you've got the rights deals, oh my god, your business is going to be a rocket. And so that's why we we we sort of speak in the tones that we do about these deals.
Speaker 2: You're you're, you're, you're exactly you're exactly right, and that is the if. And so look, we had to come through. And the only reason we were confident about even attacking the if right really going out this is because of the early prototyping and experiences that we're able to see right in the earliest days and we were spinning up some proof of concepts and trying to unpack what what is this and it is the oh my gosh experience when you're sitting in the technology and you've got the right feeds and you're able to do that, and it is just a immediate gut reaction moment that I've seen time and time and time again, and how did you do that?
Speaker 3: Like? That is that is the question?
Speaker 2: And then it was you were doing this live, like, oh my gosh, how are you doing this live? Usually these are you know, in posts and there's only thirty second highlights. And so we saw that we were core believers. Early testers saw it. We saw those reactions, and that gave us the confidence to put the capital to work to build these things and also approach all of these rights holders to go out and try to do this, and it took a ton of work. As you know, Andrew, this is not a easy endeavor. And now that we're here, we're seeing seeing fan reactions, we're seeing it go viral all the ear in media, and we're seeing that value proposition come to life. And then again it's our job now to speak about it reverently and execute now right, it's this execution phase to continue to mitigate the risk downside of the if you know, bolster the net new category conversation, and do everything we can to continue to scale this business and showcase the power of shared reality.
Speaker 1: Now we should note also that our friends over at the Sphere who have a very guess differ a different business, but they just did a deal with UFC, So is that a validation or competition or maybe both.
Speaker 2: Look Hats off to all those guys for getting that done. That was an incredible, incredible event. We were actually given our relationship as well. We're able to live stream that into our domes, so it was like Sphere in a dome like dome sception if you want to call it that, and it was. It was awesome because we're able to showcase all that amazing media and graphics within our display as well, and so we created a really cool experience kind of a I don't know if you want to call it a satellite type experience, be able to extend what they were doing in Vegas into our other venues through that UFC relationship. So love to think that this was continue additive to all the fight fans and other locations. They had a roaring success in Vegas and this extension was I think another great proof point of how we have a big similar thesis right with us in the sphere, but bringing in the right partners can continue to expand that and offer these amazing technology powered experiences to others.
Speaker 1: Patents is that something you hold for what the technology is, because I would imagine that's got to be pretty valuable to the business.
Speaker 2: Look, we have a robust IP portfolio, yeah, and we also have quite a lot of trade secrets as well. You know, the thing about a patent is you got to publish it, and oftentimes we keep a lot of that in house without publishing when we don't feel like we need to. So we do have a portfolio of IP protection in place, which is great. We also have a lot of stuff working on that's still still very skunk works and incredible that we probably won't pursue patents on frankly, but yeah, technological expertise matters. And thinking back about the acquisitions we made this company, Evanson Sutherland was built all the way back in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: They were in the supercomputer race. At one time.
Speaker 2: They created sketch Pad, world's first graphical user interface. There is an amazing history there of computer graphic excellence and innovation that we're able to build on. I've in Sutherland from the namesake. Evans and Sutherland also contributed to the sort of dominicles. The first VR headset ever created in nineteen sixty eight. So this, this heritage and history is in our DNA, it's in our bones. And there's so many lessons that we've been able to learn and retain. So, for example, some of my team members now are tenured over thirty years within our business. So there's a lot of knowledge and know how that we really cherish and continue to try to foster and innovate around to do where we're going in the future.
Speaker 1: Now, given all that expertise, I wonder about yours. You know, what we know about you is your NFL career. You mentioned some time at Fox Sports, But explain your road to this business.
Speaker 3: Well, my road to this business.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not an ear path clearly, but it's filled with wins and losses and and everything along the way. But you know, I played at the fortunate of playing football the University of North Carolina. I'm a Rabbit tar Heel, so go heels, I have to say it, And was also able to attend their business school to get my NBA after playing football.
Speaker 3: But I went and played football for a while.
Speaker 2: I got the chance to be really, really good ended up being okay, So I got it was in essentially five years, from seven to sorry, four to eight. Then I went back to business school and did my full time NBA and uh my summer associate internship.
Speaker 3: I was at Goldman Sachs. I thought I was going to go down the banking route.
Speaker 2: Learned a lot really really important for me to transition from the league to a professional honestly and understanding that executive presence instead of going that route, started our first startup. At the time, it was called Gridiron Grunts. It was the audio version of Twitter. You know Twitter had tweets, We had grunts and yeah, we built it around professional athletes, authenticated content, and we built a platform that professional athletes could talk into their phone and fans can get at real time, and we try to monetize that with ring tones and all sorts of stuff that was going on right in the tens.
Speaker 3: Call it that.
Speaker 2: We eventually brought video to life within our platform and learned a lot. It was your definition of four guys in a garage with a startup, didn't know how to raise money, didn't know how to acquire a customer, didn't know about app store optimation, optimization, none of that. But we were great at building a really tight team. We were great at finding something of value, which was as authenticated content from professional athletes, and what we had to learn was how do we find an outlet for that. So what we did instead of building a standalone app where fans were subscribing, which what we set out to do, we ended up syndicating that content to news outlets and broadcasters and getting the authenticated real time source. And this was before you took cameras into the locker rooms, right, it was before you had mobile video, and so then we were able to do that. We were to create a pipeline that took real time video from an athlete's phone into broadcast and so we're working with all the broadcasters to bring that to life, and it was eventually called Straightcast Media. And so we went through a really interesting phase of learning on our end as executives. We were able to sell that company to Fox Sports. I came with that deal to Fox and was drewing a lot of the cross platform innovation. Sitting on the digital team and straddling that linear digital fence. If you think about how that has evolved, it was a great seat. So I got to learn and work of how are we doing any immersive presentation of the Super Bowl or the World Cup? How are we doing digital? What are the social highlight rights?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: This is before you even knew that. So at the time rights deals were this big when it got to social and digital. Now it's all slicensed up and so look that Fox Sports learning was so critical to what we're doing now and understanding this ecosystem and how it all fits together. Was able to do some of the biggest invest events in the world with these guys of how do you take that linear portfolio and extended elsewhere? And so did a lot there. Ended up leaving Fox Sports after a tenure there and started going back into the sports media tech landscape again. I explored the web three space a lot, almost built the first NFT project for sports rights, which was a really cool learning. But it's always this connection of sports media technology, right, how do you how do you think through this construct and bring something new to market that I think fans will know and love because the through line is fan passion Andrew right like there is there is fan passion for all sorts, and fans like to self select and tell you who they love and they like more of it, and so trying to create these new offerings and and and and you know that led me to build COSM. Working with Steve Wynn who I mentioned before, and then being able to build this business was really part of that origin story and a lot of my lessons learned.
Speaker 1: You know, when you talk about the holy trinity of sports, media and tech, we should point out COSM is clearly primarily sports, but there's other nonsports kinds of entertainment, Like what could we see that's not sports?
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, So you know, from an entertainment perspective, we're looking at we're actually currently working with some real trophy IP to bring that to life inside of our venues. Thinking about calling it experiential cinema right, type of really being world building right and coming in and looking at it that way. We're not a first run cinema that we're not in that business. We're not a first run theater, but think about how do you bring classics to life the world building elements. We also do immersive art, so you think about the whole explosion of immersive van Go and Team Lab and all of that stuff. Bringing that type of thinking to our venue. We're seeing great successful that really cool excuse me, new media art that comes to life, leveraging all of our tech platform We're also doing things like oh, from circ to solet that has been a fantastic hit. And so think about we have cameras underwater, we have cameras up in the trapees, really cool site lines around that as well, and then also layering in music and programming around that. So can I bring Red Rocks live into La? Can I bring a No. Two performance into our venues? Bringing that to life and all that programming strategy around that. So that's how we think about it, really multi genre across all these categories, and the through line Andrews. All these categories have fans, they have cohorts, they have people that love it and self select and now our job is to showcase how that comes to life with our venues.
Speaker 1: And I get leading with sports. That makes perfect sense to me. But I think you can also make an argument that you guys are sitting on the cusp of not just sort of taking the Red Rocks and Cirque de Soles of the world and presenting them in the most interesting way possible. But you could get into original content that is not just oh, here's a movie on a giant screen, but really approaching the art form in a whole new way, not unlike we have seen a lot of VR try to do with some degree of success. So where is your head at on that opportunity?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exactly right, And we've created an internal group called COSM Studios that what we do is we green light and finance these types of new media projects for display in our venues. And the really cool through line is we can actually take that same content and put it on headsets as well. So this cross compatibility allows us to reach more people when we want, and then for certain titles, we also make that available to our planetarium network. And so if you think about bringing this new media production to life and some of this original programming, that's what gets really really exciting is because you're I mean, you're exactly right where we can work with creators of all sorts. Some of these new media artists are just doing fascinating work, and we provide the tech and the platform and some of the financing for it to bring these ideas to life. And we feel great about that potential as we look at the windowing of our content, the day parting of the venues, the seasonality of sport, and how we fill it all in and there is so much opportunity. I'll tell you the one thing I think everyone can agree on is that in five to ten years the world will be more digital, more immersive, and will be closer to whatever the metaverse is going to be. Right sure, you know our goal is to be a thought leader and connector in that space, great IP to great hardware, leveraging our experience platform, whether that is live sport, whether that's other trophy IP, whether that's Originals, and continuing to build on that ecosystem so that we can always be a stakeholder in these evolving time that we're in right now, which.
Speaker 1: Is a fascinating place to be. And we'll have to check back in with you five years and ten years to see how it comes to play. But my last question is, you guys are in market now. There's two open facilities, so I know it's early days, but what have you learned? What have you seen in their reception that's perhaps some surprises along the way.
Speaker 2: We've learned that fans love the dome experience, they love coming to cosm, sitting in the Dome and it is. It is a hit for sure. We've also learned that it works for essentially every sport. That's something that has been fantastic to see, whether it's tennis or soccer, football, basketball, we've seen that work really, really well. We've also learned that it works for all this other new media and things like circ and the core of the concept is very sound and it works. We've also learned that we can execute it at a scale. So case in point, on Sunday alone, coming up, we have a Premier League match kicking off at six am in LA, going into two NFL windows that will be live, and so our ability to program this with live content all the time. Right, we've learned that we've built the company and the scale to execute that. We've learned we can do two venues at the same time, and hence we can do three four five with all of our tech stack and our production methodology. There's things where we can improve, to be sure, Andrew. We can improve on how we present the seating inventory with our app. We can improve how we build the back of house for our service and support. Right, the beauty is is that we're doing so much. Is that we can see every angle and hopefully improve the next time around. Right, we have our own ticketing app, we have our own back end XMS system, and so now we're able to start reaching let's call it normalization, and then we get to this maximization side of this constant improvement, and we're doing it across our entire stack. And you know, look, I'm able to speak in this confident manner because what we're seeing in market, and we're seeing how fans are responding, and we're seeing this appetite and demand even exceed some of our expectations.
Speaker 3: And so now our.
Speaker 2: Job is that you need to take all that earned media in the virality that we were all seeing and continue to convert it and convert fans to cosm and to ticket sales. And that's where we're starting to make that part of a core competency to continue to do that and raise awareness on the event level basis.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be interesting to see how your growth story plays out in the coming year. Jeb Terry, thanks for coming on strictly business.
Speaker 2: Andrew appreciate it. We love to come back when we revisit this story and see where I was right and where.
Speaker 3: I was wrong.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Be sure to leave us a review at Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
Speaker 2: We love to hear from listeners. Please go to Variety dot com and sign up
Speaker 1: For the free weekly Strictly Business news letter, and don't forget to tune in next week for another episode of Strictly Business