Speaker 1: Was Wu Tang Forever a reference to Batman Forever? Did I come out at the same time.
Speaker 2: Batman Forever was maybe maybe two years before? Let's see, yeah, ninety five because Wu Tang Forever was? Was that ninety six or ninety five?
Speaker 1: Of all the ones to choose? Why not Wu Tang returns? What about Wu and Tang?
Speaker 2: Or Wu Tang and Robin? Batman and Wu Tang just heavily features Chris what's his name?
Speaker 1: Brandley, Handsome, Chris o'donnald, Oh my God, Wu Tang and Robin Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Episode five of Hell. He's like guys. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: It's podcast as we take Deep dab and do American Share counseling.
Speaker 2: It's It's Ben.
Speaker 1: It's Friday, March fourteenth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Fucking Pie Day, My day, get your pies out. Let's respect five.
Speaker 1: Because that's when I brainstorm on Friday exactly, and also National Write Down Your Story Day, National Children's Craft Day, Shout out crafts I have y'all.
Speaker 2: If y'all want to buy some of the geist child's Fine daycare art pieces, I will be some in my eBay. They have been assessed by an art sort of appraiser like appraiser person and they're starting at the lo low price of a dollar. So you know, I will do bad. I will hey you to come take it away. It comes in thick and fast, the arts and crafts from daycare. Yeah, anyway, also national learn about butterflies.
Speaker 1: Day espart to pick the amount of homework is that they just every smiley face. I feel like, well that one't got a smiley face. I should hang on to that. And it's just taken over life.
Speaker 2: Did your mom hang onto all your crimes?
Speaker 1: We moved every couple of years. She was just like she was. Yeah, she was purging. She was every We used to it to warm up the flu before we fire. Yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 2: Your work.
Speaker 1: All right, Happy pie day to everybody.
Speaker 2: Make yourself a little pie. You know I have some pot. Treat yourself for a little pot or a pizza pie.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: My name is Jack O'Brien ak in the tallow, in the Taalo, in the Tallowtel Lalo, in the Tallowta la Lallo.
Speaker 2: We're frying in Tallo.
Speaker 1: Now that one courtesy of your current do that on television, Your current do.
Speaker 2: It in honor of our new what's our case.
Speaker 1: Title, vaccine Guy, vaccine, our new vaccine Health and Human.
Speaker 2: Services Health.
Speaker 1: Human Services, who has discovered the key to longevity is going back to frying French fries in beef tallow, something that we stopped doing in the eighties because it was killing killing people. Yeah yeah, yeah, not that like shit about anything back then. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, he's worried about the seed oils. I bet they're bad, but so is beef tallow. Anyways, thank you, you current do that on television, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, It's mister Miles Gret.
Speaker 2: Let me actually take that AKA one step further.
Speaker 4: Frying up some food, need a fat to make the flavor good, oil lizable, need.
Speaker 2: Something to stop myever And I'm going to the chorus.
Speaker 4: Ooh mommy, deep in ardoca collapsing, frying potatos, brown collapse.
Speaker 2: From the clockage, it was all worth, all fright with the telon now. Okay, now that was Halsey on salad, because your current do that on television is like I got the chorus somebody hit me with the verse that's called an ali you and I had to throw it down. So thank you to the both of you on the discord. And then our guest will be doing the ooh of this get them pipe swarm. Miles.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled, blessed to be joined in our third seat by McClean, producer, a co founder of The Venue caveat NYC and host of Cramped, a podcast that exposes the medical worlds, biases, and blind spots when it comes to women's health. Please welcome them, Kate Helen down there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's a deep cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's Ben Folds five. Oh he's a quirky girl in high school.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, yeah, I think. God, it's a good litmus test to know were you in band or theater? Both?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Ship? Okay, damn, Kate, I.
Speaker 5: Was an overachieving girl. Hell yeah, I played trumpet very badly.
Speaker 2: And I played trumpet too. No way, Oh my god, say very badly.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure trumpet my name. Look, I'm named after Miles Davis. There's no way I could have played that trumpet badly. Yeah, I was on that ship since eight years old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to live up to that. I'm glad that pressure was not on me because I was using my dad's old trumpet that was bent, and so the entire rural in high school band had to tune to me.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: And then I was bad, like do you think that would make me good at it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that they were accommodating.
Speaker 1: I guess super producer Justin Connor, also a trumpet player, who.
Speaker 2: I left out, not at all.
Speaker 1: I was named after Jack Sikma, an average NBA basketball player, and I was an average basketball player, and that's awesome.
Speaker 5: So I was named after Kate Hepburn, as my parents told me. And years later I was like, you mean Catherine and they were like, my name is just Kate. I don't have I'm not a Katherine or Kate Lenar.
Speaker 2: They called her Kate Hepburn back then.
Speaker 5: I guess my parents were I don't know if anyone else was Kate's friend Kate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, oh, you're named after Kate Hepburn obviously Kate.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, Kate's wonderful. Well, Kate, it's wonderful to have you here. Yes, we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of things we might be talking about a little bit later on in the news section. We're going to just talk about the continuing attempt by the right to explain what's going on with this economy. This people seem to be feeling badly about how things are going economically. How do we spin this The vibes are bad. How do we spin this into actually we meant to do that?
Speaker 2: How do we spin it into.
Speaker 1: The trip into a light jog to pretend like you meant to trip and start jogging. Yeah, like that, that's what they're doing right now. So we'll look at some clips from around the right wing hemisphere, all of that plenty more. But first, Kate, we do like to ask our guests, Helen Downey, what is something for your search history that's revealing about who you are.
Speaker 5: I didn't have to go far to find one that was very revealing on a number of levels. I recently searched dropping tampon study experiment. I do a lot of research for my podcast and in my life in general, but I am not organized about like I'll read a study and be like cool and then not save it.
Speaker 2: In the old brain, but not in the old like yeah, like research journal, and.
Speaker 5: Then yep, I do not put the link to it anywhere. I just go like cool, I absorb the information. I'll definitely know where it came from forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 5: And then when I'm writing an episode and I like have to immediately have it on hand or I'm going to lose all the thoughts in my head, I just frantically google until I find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think that's good. I think you're doing it right actually, because if you took down everything, like when I've tried to like do research and I'm like trying to be meticulous about like taking down every like source and everything, then I like lose track of what's actually interesting, Whereas like the if I'm just not if I'm just like going through and like reading as much as I can, and then the stuff that sticks sticks and the stuff that's not interesting like falls out of my head, then like that that actually seems to be a better way of like finding what works for me at least, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that works when you're looking up like articles. Yeah, but the thing with research studies and like clinical studies is they're never called they're never titled the things that make sense for what they contained.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The thing I remembered about this study was that it was an experiment where they had two They had a participant who would come into the room. There would be another person in like the way the way what they thought was the waiting room, and it would be a woman and she would have a purse, and so the person who was actually being tested in the experiment thought this was another participant, and this woman would drop something out of her purse. It would either be a tampon or a hairclip, and like drop it enough that the other person definitely saw it. And then later the people running the study would ask that the study participant a bunch of questions like, hey, that person you were with, Like what do you think of her? Like do you think she's capable? Do you think she is like would you hire her for a job, And had them like rate the person, And then they also had them choose a seat next to the person. After they came back from taking the test, they could choose to sit in a number of chairs that was either like closer to the person or further away. And in the experiments where the woman dropped a tampon, the study participant rated her lower on like wow, capability and higher ability and all these things, and sat further away from her. So, like, what would you put in a search bar to like find this experiment?
Speaker 1: Damn, yeah right, hairclip dropping exactly.
Speaker 5: I did tampon dropping study experiment and that didn't work, and it took me so long to find the actual study. The actual study is called Feminine Protection the Effects of Menstruation on Attitudes towards Women, which is like, yes, that's just you could name it better, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Help us too. So it's also accessible to people who like because that what you've just shared with us is the really interesting point of this. And while all of the data has its own use for people who are like clinicians and researchers, for the fucking dummies out here, just they're like, yo, what, okay, thank you for telling me about that. But yeah, right, I get it. I wonder if I'm sure there's these sort of titles help I don't know, maybe get better grants or something, because I guess if are they people going to fund the thing? It's like tampon drop test, Like it's a social YouTube video, social prank or something.
Speaker 5: But they don't even have like the word stigma in it or like shame or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It's just like clinical.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just like what how does it affect the attitudes? I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're trying to It's like click baity. They don't want to tell you how it affects the attitude.
Speaker 5: They don't want to give it away.
Speaker 1: That would be funny to like have people who work at major scientific and medical journals, like work with editors from BuzzFeed to like right best clickbait titles for their studies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just get rid of the whole middle class of people who write articles when studies come out.
Speaker 1: Right right, yeah, yeah, exact down more cut out the middleman. Yeah, but like, where will my job be when I find out about what the study reveals? Like will it be I mean you no, on the ground will be wide open?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, you will be stunned when you realize what people think. You know, could we talk about like somebody who read the study and then started crying? Could that maybe be something that we do in the time. Yes, I love that.
Speaker 5: This just sounds like a job that you're making for yourself.
Speaker 2: I know, it does sound like that. Used to be a big part of my job was writing headlines.
Speaker 1: He's regressing, Kate, what is something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: The TV television's bones, TV's bones.
Speaker 2: Did Why did bones just come up? Because you're saying how Trump would probably actually hire people from TV shows to like help him with efforts. He's like, I need bones, get me bones from the fictional characters he has tried to hire and had to be told like that we can't. We can't hire fucking but doctor is a doctor, right, well I mean yeah technically, yeah, yeah he is. Well, then then get me bones. Wait, so Bones, that's David Bouranis and Emily des Emily Channel yeah.
Speaker 5: Channel, yeah exactly. And it's like fifteen seasons, probably twelve or something, but it's there's a lot of seasons. It's a procedural, so many bones and they just solve murders and like hang out at the fictionalized version of the Smithsonian Institute and it's like it's so great. It's like, I don't I don't like sbu because it like makes me anxious, Like I like it, and then if I watch it too much, I'll like feel horrible.
Speaker 2: And you're buying like extra locks for your doors and yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Bones is like it gives you the satisfaction and the comfort of a procedural. But it's just like smart people solving problems and and murders and like doing science, and it's like it's very comforting.
Speaker 2: Is it all cold cases?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: Why is it okay?
Speaker 5: It's when they find it starts out very like because they work with bones, like bodies that don't have flesh on them anymore, and so it starts out with mostly like, oh, we found this skeleton like in an abandoned house and it's been there for years, and like there's no way we could find out who this person was or what happened to them. And then Bones is like I know, and figures out what happened to them and who they are, and like they solve the murder. And David Borrianis is the FBI agent that like works with her and her team.
Speaker 2: Does Bones have superpower?
Speaker 5: Just very well?
Speaker 1: She's I was just smart, probably, but she doesn't like have the thing where she like touches Bone and then.
Speaker 5: In front of No, No, No, but one of my favorite, one of my favorite parts of Bones because it was like spanning, you know, twelves from the early two thousands like through the mid twenty tens, and it was a really interesting time for network TV shows because they were doing they were doing crazy shit, like they were doing cross promo episodes for other I forget when network. It was on maybe NBC or CBS, but they were doing cross promo. So they have they they have episodes with like do you remember the show The Finder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I remember that it was a show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But that's what that's like what you're talking about, where this guy has the superpower he like he like was in Afghanistan and got shot and then now has a superpower where he can find things and they do cross over yeah like anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tragic. He was like he was blown up in Iraq or something and yeh superpowers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's literally a super like it's not like, oh, he's just like a good detective and can like kind of it's like something unexplainable is happening in his brain because he got blown up, and so it's like to cross that over with Bones, which is a TV show about like a hyper rational person running like really smart and problem solving, and then they're just like, no, he just has the finder power and yeah, finding.
Speaker 2: Out like Diehard takes place in the Harry Potter universe.
Speaker 1: What what is that?
Speaker 5: And they also do like like what's it called when they do like basically car commercials inside the show where there'll be a scene set in like in the car as they're driving, and in the middle of the conversation, Bones will just be like, oh uh, this Prius can park it, so like isn't that cool?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Bones also naming these shows. This one is about Bones, so has Bones and then he finds stuff, so he's the finder like focus.
Speaker 2: The mass genius.
Speaker 1: How do we how do we like boil it down to the most basic, like the most bas The next one will be numbers, Yeah, you mean math numbers, actually numbies.
Speaker 5: It's also that they named the show Bones, and it's hard to talk about because like, Okay, you asked me what's underrated? I can't say Bones, because then you have to be like the show on You have to say television's bones, TV's bones.
Speaker 2: You mean scrats? No, No, the television program known as Bones that ran from two thousand and five to twenty seventeen starring David Boriannis and Emily da Chanel.
Speaker 5: That, oh, it's not a good name in terms of like being able to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Was she called bones? Or did I just add that that's like her nickname?
Speaker 5: Okay, David calls her name, calls her bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to be called Bones. That's a cool name.
Speaker 5: That's a good name.
Speaker 2: Good name.
Speaker 1: And for numbers, Like, I'm a little bit confused because yes, it says numbers, but it says it in words.
Speaker 2: How do we Oh, we turned the E into it? Three? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 1: Numb three rs numb thirs O, Kate, what's something you thinks overrated?
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm gonna get haters for this, but I think seeing a movie in theaters is overrated.
Speaker 2: Wow, and now the show is over? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 5: Like I think it's important. I think people should do it, like that should exist. I just don't like it very much to be on my couch.
Speaker 2: Were you always like anti theater? Like and then the with the everything coming on stream, You're like, okay, thank you now I'm winning or you just know I was together. You're like, oh, yeah, I prefer couch. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it was working like co founding and being inside. I had a basement theater like fourteen hours a day. I like, what I want to do for fun is not go be in another dark room. Right, and then the pandemic and everything coming on streaming, Like when you when you had to go to a movie theater and that was the only way you could like see a new movie, and you would make it a big thing and go with friends like that was great. I liked that, But now that you have the option, I'm like, why would I do that? I want to be at home on my couch with my snacks and not pay a bunch of money for Do you do people.
Speaker 1: Come over watch movie or you just yeah, that's yeah, it's nice. That's like a yeah, I do think I was underrating movie nights at home, Like for for a while, movie nights at home, make your own popcorn, like you know that that.
Speaker 2: Can be, but I haven't done. We need to do the thing where people I haven't done the thing where people come over to watch a movie since like the days when I was getting screeners all the time, and that was like you'll dig upo blah blah blah. I am legend we could watch that shit right now or whatever. But I do miss that. Actually, like that aspect of it I think would be fun rather than like, oh, I'm at home, I can watch this movie that's in the theater. Make it a thing to get together and we can.
Speaker 5: I also during the pandemic, we would do because when we were seeing movies and theaters all the time, there would be certain people I would go with to see certain movies, like there were a couple of friends I always went to see the like King Kong and Godzilla movies, the new ones. Yeah, yeah, And so one of those came out in like twenty twenty one and we did it over like FaceTime. We streamed it together over FaceTime. And then we also, like my husband and I have a National Theater membership, like where you can they have like recorded from the National Theater in London. They have recorded shows like Shakespeare's shows like Classic Theater and you that you could just like watch it like it's a movie. And so having people over to do that is really fun too because it's a little culturey, but you're still home on your couch and you don't have to like get dressed up and go out. You could just like watch a Shakespeare thing and then pause it and be like, what I have to look at it?
Speaker 1: Can we put the subtitles on? Actually, this isn't helping, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly did he propose to her? Or is he going to murder her? Right now?
Speaker 5: I know it's a dick joke, but how is it addiction?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: That actors seemed to really enjoy delivering that. I just don't know what it meant.
Speaker 5: That's more. That's so much more fun with friends when you're allowed to talk, right man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm at a Shakespeare's show, I'm always laughing at the wrong party.
Speaker 2: One Hamlet to be or not to be? I think it's funny. I think it's a funny question. Hey, y'all down to see Macbeth right now? Don't fucking say that this.
Speaker 1: By the way, Hamlet would have been called skull Guy if it was on television, gold Talker. That was just ghost writer.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break and we will be right back. And we're back, and.
Speaker 1: Kate, before we get into the news, I did just want to kind of talk to you about your show Cramped, which you know you focus on various ways the medical world is biased and against fully understanding women's health, like almost like willful blind spots ye.
Speaker 7: Scattered, almost as if which I, as my spouse is a physician, and I've like had doctor's appointments with her where the doctor will explain things to me a fucking.
Speaker 1: Idiot podcaster like looking at me about her, about her yet.
Speaker 2: About her yep.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I've just been amazed, like how retrograde and out moded, like a lot of the attitude, just so much misogyny in the world of medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just curious to hear you talk about that for a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, okay, So it started with a really simple thing. I get horrible, horrible period cramps I have since I was fourteen, and like not just kind of like ow, but like my cramps are so bad that I get full body sweats. I will start throwing up every ten minutes for anywhere between like three to six hours, wow, bad diarrhea. I will pass out from the pain. It doesn't happen every month, but it doesn't seem it just is like every three or four months. I call these deaths cramps. Uh, just so that like my family, I had a way to talk to my family and friends about it, because we have one word to describe having cramps.
Speaker 2: We just have cramps.
Speaker 5: And like that's not enough words because for some people it's like just a little uncomfortable, just like achy, annoying, and for some people it is like completely debilitating, excruciating pain.
Speaker 1: And like that's not cool the one having a cramp, that's like my my side heard a little bit for fifteen seconds after I ran.
Speaker 2: Because we have a word for.
Speaker 5: That, We have stitch. We have like, oh, I am a stitch in my side for that specific kind of pain. And yet we just have one word for like this whole range of experiences.
Speaker 2: To use that word for women. For the pain women, it is probably just the same she's sweating and passed out on the ground.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So for twenty two years I had this horrible period pain, and I would go every doctor I went to. I grew up in rural Maine, so those were the first doctors I saw were in Burl Maine. The first doctor I ever saw for this literally said to me, yeah, some women just get really bad period pain, but it'll go away when you have your first kid. And that was when I was fourteen.
Speaker 2: It's like, what is that to like incentivize, Yeah, like child burying or something like so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like yeah, hurry, yeah, No, there's just this idea that like, oh, period pain is just until you have a kid, so don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 5: Yet, yeah, basically, yes, that's that's kind of underneath it all, even if they don't say that part out loud, but yes, so then you know. I moved to Boston saw doctors there, moved to New York saw doctors there, moved to La saw doctors here. Every doctor would either say like, hey, have you tried idrowprofen It's like yeah, do that again, yeah, or they would want to put me on birth control, which I did for years and they didn't help or work, so I stopped, and they would if if they wanted to do anything about it, they would send me for an ultrasound, which would come back normal and they would say, Okay, there's nothing wrong with you. Problem solved, goodbye, And then twenty two years yeah, and so like this would happen like I I like lost jobs because of because this I used to wait tables and bartend and like I would have to like lock myself in the employee bathroom or call out sick, and I, you know, I there are so many things that I have missed, And it's terrifying to have your body be doing something that is putting you in so much pain and not know why and have doctors be like, huh, I don't know, like, yeah, that's really mysteries.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, like a lot of that too. I'm sure you've seen like both like male and female doctors too, and like that, It's just sort of like that culture just sort of permeate regardless of where you'd think. I'm sure like, oh, clearly she might understand given word for physiologically sort of a line here in our like in our experience on Earth. But then still like it just feels like that sort of way of looking at it is just so entrenched in like our medical practices that even though sort of like yeah, right, and.
Speaker 5: Ninety percent of menstruating people get period pain some kind of period pain, and about thirty percent of menstruating people get what is called severe period pain or dysmenorrhea, but that means but because it is not like talked about openly or studied. If you are a person with a uterus and you don't get severe period pain, you think it doesn't exist basically, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or the other people are like being dramatic.
Speaker 5: Exactly where you're like, I get cramps. What are you complaining about?
Speaker 2: Oh, like how white people view racism right, exactly exactly, and I've never seen it so exactly.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get there were those signs that we made up about not hiring Irish people in the late eighteen hundreds. So I get it, like I've heard of but like I got over it, you know, get over it.
Speaker 2: So it's just saying it's.
Speaker 5: Pretty much that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I made this podcast because I was like, I've been having the severe pain for twenty two years and I've never actually gotten answers on really basic questions like literally, what's happening inside my body that's causing this much pain? How can I better treat it? How can I stop having this pain? And why have I gone twenty two years without getting a diagnosis or an effective treatment? And like how many other people out there are experiencing the same thing as me? And so in my attempts to answer these questions and kind of solve my issue. Across ten episodes, I do get a diagnosis. I do find out a lot of information, but I also learn why these questions are so hard to answer, which is infuriating because like we know it's misogyny, right, Like we know it's patriarchy, but like the extent of it, and it's like right under the surface. You just like scratch it, scratch the surface of teeny bit and it's like, oh, it's right there.
Speaker 1: It's wild how much it still persists on something that is life and death for people every single day, and it's still just like such a fucking massive blind spot. Yeah. So yeah, everybody should go listen to the podcast. It's such an important topic.
Speaker 5: And I will say like men men or people who don't menstrate it also can get a lot out of this. Like if you have people in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially go listen to it. If you're like what don't you really see that? Don't don't?
Speaker 5: Yeah, then because like if we if we get better at treating this, if we if the medical system improves, like you, as a man, your life will get better because the people in your life who are experiencing this pain will be less in pain, they'll be less angry at you, and they will be up right, they will be more able to like show up to family stuff, to like social stuff like that. It's just gonna make the world better for everybody. And this is not a small number of people, Like you know somebody that this effects. And if you don't know that you know somebody, it's because they don't feel safe or comfortable talking to you about it.
Speaker 2: So I remember in high school was like I had a homegirl who had like real same thing, like really terrible cramps, and like her parents were religious, and like the doctor was like, you know, birth control, would it would be something we can try to help, And it was like this whole thing to like try, like where her parents were like, nah, absolutely not. But then they're like but then they kept seeing their daughter in like pain, and then they're like finally relented, And I just remember as a teenager being like, holy shit, this is like so outside of my realm of understanding, and then like the religious like religiosity of it to like dude, just fucking help her do she's fucking slumped over all the time, like in pain or like had to bring a heating pad to school all the time. It was just like yeah, and it's it's it's such a complex thing, but we just I think broadly, don't like you're saying, we don't have enough awareness on it to be able to have conversations around it, or too many of us are having like the realizations like I'm having as a team, You're like whoa what, Yeah, what are you going to do? Then that's like going up with like then that's already going up against a whole other set of beliefs that are like restrict the holy shit. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and just the fact that we don't talk about it, like as a teenager and even into my twenties, like I thought I was a medical anomaly, Like I thought there was just because that's the reaction I got from doctors. They were just like, weird, We've never seen anything like this before. Yeah, and that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There are so many people out there experiencing the same thing, And if we talked more openly about it, people wouldn't be kind of like locked in this like hell of like, well there's something wrong with me and there's nothing that can be done, because like there is the like ultimately there is a lot that can be done. There's a lot more studies that need to be done. There's a lot more investment into some of the biggest causes of severe period pain. But like, we can do it, we just have to. It's like, you know, there was no like AIDS research until everybody was like, hey, fuck you like research this.
Speaker 2: We're dying the people too.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go ahead and say we actually think they're people, so you guys can go ahead and research this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, And we need that kind of uproar about we like there are so many people in pain twelve times a year, like severe pain, not able to live their daily lives, and we're not talking about it. We're not we're not aware of it. It's we've been told not to make it anybody else's problem.
Speaker 1: And like that's the same shit that was like she's just being hysterical, right, like uh huh, oh boy, what's your what's the anecdote for that?
Speaker 2: I don't ask then, Like even just like the thing was just like just a total lack of studies into like anything female anatomy, as like that recent study about like snakes glitteristes, and they're like, why are we just finding this out now.
Speaker 1: It's like because no one was researching you and shit ever because like men were dominating.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't fucking care about that shit, right right, Yeah, there is.
Speaker 5: It's literally, uh, there's a condition called endometriosis that is the most common cause of severe period pain. It is it did end up being what I had, uh and have, and it is not. It is so understudied one in ten. The WHO estimates that one in ten people with the uterus have endometriosis. And yet the average the average time to get diagnosed with it is seven to ten years.
Speaker 2: Wow, They're like, we gotta, we gotta really make sure you got so yeah, it's like it's only like four hundred million people on earth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, crazy, And it's so and like the symptoms are clear, like it is, nobody should be waiting that long to get diagnosed. And it's partly because to be officially diagnosed you have to have a laparoscopic surgery. But like you, the symptoms are really clear, you can figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, just yeah, be like you probably have that. Let's treat as if you do.
Speaker 5: But there are gynecologists who don't know about endometriosis or like it was mentioned in med school like once and they just don't even though ten percent of people with uterses have it, and gynecologists the uterist doctors don't care or what yeah, end of what now? No exactly. That's literally the name of a film about endometriosis is endo what because yeah, people who don't know about it.
Speaker 2: He's just not that end of you. Mm hmm Okay, we're just punching up titles. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll put that one come back, just not that end to you. And it's about a doctor just being like, could we move it along?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 7: You have?
Speaker 2: I just have so much too. Yeah I've lost family to like that kind of really lazy kind of diagnoses and it ends up being something so much more severe because the sort of default attitude at looking at this is like it's fine, yeah, come back in a few months when you have something terrible that's actually happened to.
Speaker 8: You, right yeah, Like everything, like everything structural, anyone who is a person of color, were anyone.
Speaker 5: That the system is not built for is going to be experiencing this like even more. I like I'm saying I am hosting this as the podcast as like a cis white woman in a like average body. And I still had to wait twenty two years to get my diagnosis and by the way, pay out the ass sure, right outside of my already expensive insurance just to get a diagnosis. And like I haven't even done treatment yet, Like I don't because.
Speaker 2: You said that place, You're like okay, I know. Now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now there's even more questions because there is no cure. You can just manage it and like yeah, it's real bad.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you, thanks for making the show and thanks for being on to tell us about it. We're gonna take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: The economy and other dumb bullshit. We'll be right back and we're back back.
Speaker 1: And all right, So, you know, this has been kind of the ongoing story of this week is the economy has taken a big old shit. The economy staky e economy, the one that the mainstream media pays attention to, the one that will fuck us over. You know, it's a it has the ability so when it's going good, it doesn't make most doesn't efect for rich, it's not good for regular people. The rich people just do stock buybacks for like the c suite. But when it's going bad, it really really fucks everybody up. And it's going bad, So that's not good. No, And the thing, the economy is like one of the main reasons people gave as to why they wanted Trump back in office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing. He's government, business president, business guy. Yeah, And I mean, and who could blame them if you aren't aware of all the existential threats that he poses to America and you're only metric for deciding who to vote for in a presidential race. Is my life good in twenty nineteen, then yeah, sure, great, you've you've you've succeeded there. But like their CNN recently did a poll on Trump's handling of the economy, and he is in the worst position he's ever been in forty four percent approved, fifty six percent disapprove. That's a net thumbs down of twelve percent. And on Vox they sort of plotted out sort of where this was in terms of like other polls and economy, and this is a total outlier, Like it's fucking yeah, yeah, it's way the fuck down, you know what.
Speaker 1: It's totally reminding me of actually this is so stupid, but this is reminding remember how like, uh what when George Lucas brought the prequels back, everyone was like, and now we can have the pure George Lucas vision with like all the people just being like, you're a genius, George.
Speaker 2: You got this one, George. And then it came out and it.
Speaker 1: Just sucked shit because it was like he and like all like when you hear him talk about the original trilogy of Star Wars, he's always like complaining about all the notes he got and like all the battles he had to fight, and like people give it like pushing back and and like making it's good, yeah, making it like yeah, reining in his worst instincts and being like, I mean that's a cool idea.
Speaker 2: Let's go with the cool idea and not like the shitty.
Speaker 1: One where you think you're like a good comedy director and that jar Jar Binks is gonna be the future of I feel like this is the Star Wars prequels of the Trump presidencies, where he just is fully it's all gas, no breaks, and he the only thing that's keeping anything on the rails up to this point was the breaks like, yeah, yeah, that was it, and now it's now we are off the fucking charts. Literally, we're we are in the in the scene where jar Jar Binks is like doing comedic pratfalls that like kill people at the end of that first movie. But he's fighting, man, he's fighting days.
Speaker 2: But you know, this polling and just generally the attitude from the town halls and everything. People are fucking they can see for themselves that this is like affecting their day to day, like whether it's people getting laid off, lack of prices coming down, Dodge trucks going up in the tens of thousands of dollars overnight because of tariffs and shit like that, and the pulling all that's rattled them because now the right wing is just going so hard on telling people that the tariffs that are fueling all this chaos are good. So just a couple let's just take a quick tour of some of the takes from the right wing taka sphere. This first one is from Laura Ingram, who is telling her viewers to literally just ignore the talk about the economy. Just don't listen to it. That's step one. This is Laura Ingram explaining this is how you protect yourself from all the haters.
Speaker 9: Isn't it great to have an optimistic president who has a real plan to make life better for Wall Street and Main Street? Just ignore the sky is falling reports in the regime press.
Speaker 2: Tune out the breathless reporting about market.
Speaker 9: Gyrations, because even the most dedicated globalists they know Trump is good for business.
Speaker 2: That was woo.
Speaker 5: It's wild just to call the mainste media the regime regime. Yeah, you guys control the entire government right now, you are the regime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry, Laura defined regimeily for me, just so I'm just so we're clear on that. So that all the negative stuff the regime media is saying about dear leader, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Please find a new angle regime media again. And every version of someone on Fox has there. I think everyone's got their own little spin on how to be like, how do we get these people to fucking ignore the tariffs or try and spin the tariff? Says good? This is Greg Guttfeld doing his He's given the listeners or the viewers on Fox AND's or the five This is Greg Guttfeld's four D chests on how to navigate tariffs.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know, a tariff is not a tax if you don't buy the goods. And I'm tired of the media calling the tariff attacks. It's the opposite. You know, A government issue tax is an involuntary.
Speaker 2: Cost on you.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 10: You're paying for stuff that as a New Yorker you don't benefit from.
Speaker 2: I spent.
Speaker 10: I pay a small fortune in taxes and I still have psychopaths living on my street. I have a road that destroy the car suspension, and I can't take the subway.
Speaker 5: But I put more taxes than my dad Dade.
Speaker 10: In his whole life as an income. But it doesn't really matter. I'm gonna make Jesse so happy right now. You know what causes inflation. I'm glaring at Harold Dei.
Speaker 1: Oh, and Harold is the one person of color in the rest exactly, And he's glaring at Harold, and then they're like, he's joking.
Speaker 2: Ha ha, it's again whatever. I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. But that's so, that's sick, dude, tighty. So you don't got to pay on that terriffs if you just don't buy it, like the fucking food, don't buy it it's important all the shit that's important for American cannsumers. Like does he have any idea how much we have to import to stay in this consumer economy? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's also such just like a rich brain rot thing of like I pay for the subway, but I don't even use the subway. And it's like, do you do you not use the subway because you live in a gated community in Connecticut? Do you or know you live in New York? So okay? Do you not use the subway because you get driven everywhere?
Speaker 2: Like that? I don't take the subway because people know I'm a racist piece of shit and they confront me about it on the subway. And that's the fucking issue, right. I thought I'd be just another anonymous white guy in a Patagonia vest, but I'm not. But again, these things are fucking tax hikes on consumers. Like he's looking at it again like the most overly simplistic way in that he's saying, well, the higher prices will make a consumer just want to buy the American stuff, and then that's how it helps, you know, everybody get more America centric. But again, these taxes, we all know this. These are just passed on to the consumer. Because since when is a fucking company a business telling us, oh yeah, well, we'll totally make less money on this, and you know what will absorb the hit. We're not going to pass that on to the consumer. That's not it.
Speaker 5: We also, like America can't we can't feed our own people on the food we grow here. We have to import food.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 5: That's an optional.
Speaker 1: You don't like potato chips made out of corn and hamburgers made of corn.
Speaker 5: Nobody's saying anything bad about corn here.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you.
Speaker 1: Don't like corn when the other countries have to raise their prices. Also, just like based on what we've seen from corporations of the past i don't know, decade, like it seems inevitable that the corporations are also the American corporations, even if they don't have to, will raise their corporation raise their prices because they can, and like that's they raise their prices anytime they can. And so if the competition raised prices, they just raised their prices as well. That's basically what we've seen with inflation. Even though that that description puts a bunch of like economists and you know, consultants out of out of work.
Speaker 2: So it's never the one that we get.
Speaker 1: But that's seemed to be what's happening. Yeah, well, yeah, inflation across the board for like, you know, as long as it's been happening in the past five years, Like what as inflation's happening, corporations are making record profits like that, that's all you need to know. That's all you need to know. Like they they're making way more money than they've ever made, and inflation is going up. Like those two things are related. I think we're making record profits. Are the ones raising the prices?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember we were doing this as it was happening, Jack, Like we kind of stopped even trying to say inflation because that gave all these companies cover for their just out in the open greed. Because there are many studies you know that was like in twenty twenty three, like fifty corporate profits were something like half of the driving force of inflation. It wasn't actual supply the shit that they tried to tell us in the like twenty one. At a certain points, it's like fuck it, bro, just keep turning to the fucking heat up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Sorry, I think egg prices are a really good microcosm of this, because, like, we know there's bird flu that's like being reported on genuine public health like threat but also killing all the chickens. But there are egg conglomerates whose farms have not been hit by bird flu who are raising their prices because they can because everybody knows bird flu is out there and will accept higher prices. Like it's a market economy, which but it's a market economy run by conglomerates that are essentially monopolies, so they get to price hike when they can get away with it.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh yeah, we're like just you know, we are forty percent of the companies, just this one company. It'll it'll look it looks different because the boxes are different. Yeah, we do different boxes and so yeah. But then this whole idea of the tariffs as tax hike has come up because you know, Caroline Levitt, who's the terrible Press Secretary of the White House, she was pressed by the Associated Press during a briefing on this and she just goes like, oh man, she just just spins herself into circles, being like these are not tax hikes on American people. Just because the prices go up doesn't mean it's a tax like of you. This is her getting very very defensive over the definition of a tariff or taxiic and it gets a little snippy. Let's see this.
Speaker 11: Actually not implementing tax hikes. Tariffs are a tax hike on foreign countries that again have been ripping us off. Tariffs are a tax cut for the American people. And the President is a staunch advocate of tax cuts.
Speaker 6: As you know.
Speaker 11: He campaigned on no taxes on tips, no taxes on overtime, no taxes on social Security benefits. He is committed to all three of those things, and he expects Congress to pass them later this year.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, have you ever paid a terror because I have that, don't get charged on four.
Speaker 11: And ultimately, when we have fair and balanced training, which the American people have not seen in decades, as I said at the beginning, revenues will stay here, wages will go up, and our country will be made wealthy again. And I think it's insulting that you are trying to test my knowledge of economics. Uh and the decisions that this president has made.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, Caroline, to let's keep it a book, my darling. You don't know what it is, but I like though that you do the I think it's insulting that you're like calling me out and just broadly act as if what you said was correct on any planet. She is not incorrect. It is insulting. It just happens to be accurate. And also, yeah, right, have you ever paid it? I love it. That reporter. It's like, I'm sorry, have you even paid it? Tariff? Do we even?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck are we even talking about here?
Speaker 5: That guy sucks too, though. It's like kind of a perfect It's like, I'm not I agree with what he's saying, Like his content of what he's saying is correct, but I'm like, the way you're saying this sucks, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is the problem with the mainstream. I'm importing a bunch of phrase T shirts that I'm going to be selling outside of Coachella, and tariff I paid it. Now, it's funny this exact quote. This is like basically not everyone is in agreement over like if these tariffs are good, because this is Ben Shapiro, he is not. He's like, well, yo, what they is going on? Full like, please explain what the fuck is happening. Here's a clip of Ben Shapiro from his show. This is him reacting to that Caroline Loved exchange with the Associated Press.
Speaker 6: Again, I'm gonna need some clarification as to how this is actually going to in the short term media and long term benefit Americans. We can talk about other country he's ripping us off as much as we want. And again, if the goal here is to lower the tariffs by getting other countries to lower their tariffs, then great, I'm all in makes sense. But if the idea is the tariffs themselves were rich the American people, that is against pretty much all economic knowledge for the last couple of centuries or so.
Speaker 2: So maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll turn out.
Speaker 5: To be great.
Speaker 2: I think it goes like even like it's somehow it's a bridge. Maybe for it's a bridge too far for you, because I bet this guy's stock portfolio almost look like Deep Fried dog shit. If he's like, I don't know what, what's the fucking deal here? Like, explain it to me, because I am not feeling it right now. I don't like what I'm seeing because a lot of people show all the gains that have been made in a lot on most of the stock markets since Trump game in office, have been erased from all of the tariff bullshit. So that's who I feel the worst for all those gains.
Speaker 5: Jack gains in a headline that's so good or no, it's a Jezebel headline, or no, not God, I don't know. It's a headline that's like, uh yeah, it's a reductrous headline that is like, oh, no, worst person you know just made a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right right exactly yeah for him to be like, I just what the fuck? Just again, They're throwing their hands up, And I think this is going to continue to be a nightmare for the Republicans because it's one thing to tell a person like in Kentucky that the southern border is a hellscape and that immigrants thousands of miles away are doing dog buffets on the locals, because that's like an obscure and nebulous threat that they can just sort of create in someone's mind in the theater of the imagination. But it is a completely different endeavor to tell someone that is seeing the prices not come down at their local stores, that is seeing their retirement go fucking wacky because it's tied to the stock market, that the reality that they are experiencing is not what they are in fact experiencing. And I think that's just you're just seeing them really fucking grapple with this. And there's plenty of true believers who don't, who are completely disconnected from that. But you can see not everybody is quite on board with this, especially the capitalists who their life's blood is the fucking market and that is you know, that that's not doing the thing that it needs to be doing. Yeah, that seems pretty clear. Sorry, I was distracted. I was working on something. Uh.
Speaker 1: The Italian magician made the bench disapeiro, and then for the Prestige he made the bench Shapiro. Oh, bench Apiro. Wow, that's what I've.
Speaker 2: Been working on over here. How dare you just the way you're saying his name, like bench Ben Shapiro, your bench Shapiro.
Speaker 1: Ben Shapiro, you know, the bench disappeared and then.
Speaker 2: So you got that, Kate, did you get that?
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm still processing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to think think exactly. It's like the movie The Prestige, right, damn so tight?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: So tight?
Speaker 1: Spoilers man, Uh, Kate. Oh, yeah, bleep out of the spoiler.
Speaker 2: I was just kidding.
Speaker 1: Oh, I do feel like that's a that's a spoiler that's still preserved slightly it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so sorry anybody.
Speaker 1: Hasn't seen it because it's it's not like the it's not like the sixth Sense where it's like, this is the twist ending movie.
Speaker 2: You have to see. It's like a good movie that that love, the respect that we have for the prestige. Dude, you got to check it out still, And I feel so fucked up that in.
Speaker 1: Over ten years, but one of my favorite experiences I was watching that in theaters, Kate, and then right into a Tom York song really got my ass. Anyways, eighteen years ago that shit came out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, upsetting, that's really upsetting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're after Boneses debut. It was a great time for art.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we really should start measuring things that way. Like what season of Bones was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bones, it's pre Bones, pre Bones, pre post Bones, pre Obama.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know where where was it in relation to season two of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh season two going into season three? Well count in the first year of as presidency. Yeah right, Okay, the economic collapse.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was Seasons Bones and you can tell yeah, Uh, Kate, what a pleasure having you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can find Cramped anywhere you get your podcast, So that's c R A, m p E, d Apple Podcasts, Spotify wherever. You can find me on TikTok at Kate is Cramped where I am continuing to share research and findings and thoughts and how much money I'm spending on my medical care. And you can find me on Instagram at Kate Helen Downey.
Speaker 2: There you go. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying other than Bones? Other than Bones?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it could be you could just double down on the Bones love.
Speaker 5: You know, it's tempting, it's tempting. But no, I actually did find a tech I found a tech talk account that I'm really enjoying and I don't know how ethical it is because it might be AI, but I'm enjoying it. So it's called doctor Pickle and it's the it's like medical explainer videos but with a lot of swears. So it would be like this motherfucking endometriosis is when these cells get out of the goddamn uterus and they go other places they're not fucking supposed to be, And it's just like it's really mashing my freak in a way that I enjoy.
Speaker 2: Nice, love it. Miles.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yes, find me everywhere. They have the at Bowl at Miles of Gray, find Jacket on the basketball podcast Miles and jackot mad Boost, and you can catch me talking ninety day Fiance on the other show four to twenty Day Fiance. Let's see some things I like. First one, actually, this is this one. This from Captain Bleach at Blaine capitch dot, be sky Dot social tweet hit coming out of the MR coming out of the MRI machine, Do not go in there, because what are you doing? I just love the idea of somebody coming out of an MRI farting. Anyway, that's it, that's me.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed a Blue Sky from Amy ash at Lolan Wi on Blue Sky, who retweeted a picture of the Bill from Schoolhouse Rock talking to the kid on the stairs of the Capitol and said, I'm just a bill. Yeah, I'm only a bill, and you're gonna kill a man for eggs someday.
Speaker 5: Schoolhouse Rock is the gift that keeps on getting.
Speaker 2: We all remember it.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien and on Blue Sky at jack Obi and then the Number one. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist. On Instagram, you can go to the description of the episode wherever you're listening to it, and you can find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. They're in the footnotes. Hey, Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy that you might want to link off to in the footnotes notes, The weather is not great in LA.
Speaker 2: It's very rainy. We love rain though, but it makes me long for you know, like the you know, with the with the Spring Forward. I'm like, I'm looking forward to little spring, little sun, maybe be in the water or type of shit. And this band, I just want to This is the way they describe their work, and this is I'm only gonna read it because this is this is the vibe of the track We're about to go out and says quote, you wake up to the smell of churros coming through your window. It's unseasonably warm, and you're not hungover, like at all. The public pool open like at all. You walk, even though it's kind of far, and on the way you find a ten dollars bill on the sidewalk. The pool is packed and everyone's playing that game where you grease up a watermelon and try to catch it. The sun is fucking blasting, the beers are seven dollars, but you've got two cold red stripes in your backpack. Some kid has this sick boom box and ask you what to put on. You already know exactly what you're choosing. It's got to be King Pari. So this is the artist King Pari with the track something Something. And again if you like that description, they are delivering on this track something Something. Those Kings are coming, yes, all right.
Speaker 1: The daily zeyitegeis to the production of iHeart Radio for more podcasts from my Heart Radio is.
Speaker 2: The heart radio app Apple podcast wherever.
Speaker 1: You listen to your favorite shows, and that is going to do it for us. This week we are back on Monday to tell you what was trending over the weekend. We also drop an episode over the weekend, but is some of the highlights.
Speaker 2: From this week. In case we missed any of it for some reason, Please tell me you're listening to all eight episodes.
Speaker 1: There aren't many acceptable reasons to miss any of the eight episodes we drop on a weekly basis, but we do allow it occasionally for tragedies and stuff. Anyways, So catch all that stuff on Saturday on the weekly site, guys, and we'll be back on Monday morning, and we hope everybody has a great weekend.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you all done. Bye bye bye