Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now, let me check your pulse if you're not far though.
Speaker 1: What is up? Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going, everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, it's another all twenty two spectacular. Looking back at the tape of Dolphins and Giants, I'll break down the three biggest plays from the game, give you my top five individual tapes, tell you about how I saw better connectivity on the back end, and run down the entire list of performances. Here plus head coach Mike McDaniel ways in from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drift Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: Maggie gaff.
Speaker 1: We've got some injury updates from head coach Mike McDaniel and his Monday afternoon press conference almost head Monday morning. Go ahead and check it out on YouTube. But you basically said that the timeline for Devon a Chan who's for a knee injury in the game, is unknown. They are evaluating that right now, as well as Jeff Wilson's availability in terms of the return from the IR and the twenty one twenty one day designation window also got updates that Rob Jones and Nick Needim are progressing nicely and the Isaiah win should be fine going forward. He of course returned to the ballgame, as did Devon Achan. As far as how the game breakdown went well, I have just consumed the tape and I want to go ahead and spit out some facts for you guys over the next forty minutes or so. Here on the podcast, we start with the big play breakdowns, and we go with Devon a Chan's seventy six yard touchdown run in the second quarter and an order of things that had to happen for this play to work, which whenever you get a long touchdown play, you typically have eleven guys executing their job really well. And the order of how these things went was like this. Isaiah Wim gets an immediate seal on the play side two technique, which is the head up over him, the guy the head up over the left guard. Smyth has a one on one off the edge against a five technique who happen to be Cavon Thibadeau and he widens him, gets space and really generates movement there. Smyth's had a nice year, man, He's really found his niche in this offense. Robert Hunt reaches and seals a two technique which again lined up head up over him and has to get on the inside shoulder. He does that very very well. Connor Williams climbs up to the mike linebacker and wipes him out. Kendall Lamb climbs the second level and he races another linebacker. Then you get Cedric Wilson sailing off the corner back. Then there's a safety who has about ten yards of depth and is at the numbers with Devon a chain at the same time that he's on the numbers. So what is that thirteen yards of width from the numbers of the sideline and ten yards of depth. Devon wins that and he races the corner pretty easily. Good night, show him your tel light's long touchdown run. How about a sixty four yard screen pass to Tyreek Hill with three p forty one to play in the second quarter on first and fifteen when he catches the ball, and this is the impact that Tyreek has just by being on the field. Right number ten's out there, you have two safeties are both twenty yards off the football. Then the second level of the defense is at five yards of depth, so you have all this space for Tyreek to operate inside of. And go back to the game preview podcast, what was one of our keys in the game find the playmakers in space because the Giants give you lots of it and they don't tackle very well. That played out on this rep because you get tons of overplay, tons of overflow, and you wind up getting Smyth and Barrios getting key seals off the edge on the part of the where the screen was thrown to and then Austin Jackson climbs out there and he rass the Sam linebacker. What it's tape for Austin Jackson. Once again, Robert Hunt was also out there to help in the cause, and it gives Tyreek this window and the flow of the defense over pursues going over the top, and that's pretty much the only way you can stop that rail slash like hookup slash slide route. The bread and butter of our offense we usually go to which hasn't been as utilized in the last couple of weeks. Maybe that's a good thing here as we kind of find more deviations of that offense. But Tyreek winds back across the flow and it's just out the gate from there. Surprise, he got caught what he did. But Austin Jackson and the design and Tyreek's presence helped make that play happened. Then you get a sixty nine yard nice touchdown pass from two to the Tyreek at the beginning of the third quarter, fourteen and a half minutes left to play on a third and four play, and the Giants like, so, this is a blown coverage and it's nice to take advantage of defenses blowing coverage because it's gonna happen. And the Dolphins are one of the best in the league at capitalizing when the defense messes up, and so they're pretty discombobulated pre snap and they come out without a corner over Tyreek. He's all by himself and he kind of waves it to it like Hi Tua, you know, hi Patrick's what does SpongeBob say? I forget the guy's name. But they eventually run a corner over there. The release pulls the jam from the corner who is a rookie, and it's with wiff on both hands inside hand, outside hand, double hand. We whiff all three times and at that point you're not gonna catch him, and at that point you probably beat five yards into the route. The only hope here is that the safety to that side gets proper depth and walls that thing off because outside release, typically Tyreek's gonna run a go route, or he's gonna come back to the football. Maybe he'll cross face, but usually he takes an inside release there just not very frequently he takes an outside release. But I think it's a bus because they wind up having a linebacker clamp on a chan and that third safety who's part of the equation there, who I kind of thought was robbing the backside crossing route, he really kind of just gets downhill and goes and attacks the running back. And then there's a third safety who's twenty five thirty yards off the ball on the wrong hash, who's really just covering grass. Tua sees the release, lets it go in rhythm with Tyreek only ten yards down the field, and I'm not sure i've ever seen a vertical throw to this guy to Cheetah that did less to break his stride. He didn't slow up one beat, And that's why I praised the accuracy, because folks came at me and told me I was stupid on Twitter for praising the ball being right on the face mask. Well, Tua lets this ball go from his own twenty three yard line and it hits Tyreek on the opposing thirty nine yard line. And again I get he's wide up in, but a perfect ball that doesn't break the receiver stride from thirty six yards away. I mean, this blows my mind every time we have to talk about it, because every time Tua throws a ball that's not like in the tire swing, he gets like hated on for some reason. But I feel like everyone that watches Dolphins also watches the rest of the NFL, and how we haven't cobbed to the fact that quarterbacks very frequently missed these throws blows my mind. But this one was right on the money, Like, it doesn't overthrow him, doesn't undershoot him to take away Yak. Perfect throw, big part of the reason why it goes for sixty nine yards. In pass protection, I thought Connor Williams had a fantastic rep here where he was kind of scanning to the left to see if a potential twist might come off the left side, while also holding up the inside post for Rob Hunt to cut off a potential twist from that guy. So Connor Williams' presence in the middle of the Dolphins offensive line, it makes a whole lot of difference. You also have Austin Jackson shut down his man, Win and Lamb double up on Thibadeau to get that taken care of Top five tapes? Did you ever think I would say this? The top tape of the game for me was Austin Jackson. They've harnessed and utilized his athletic ability in a pretty damn cool way. And I theorize this offseason, talked about it right here the podcast, how his ability to get to the edge faster than most would really accentuate this perimeter running game, which is how you can build in so much of the misdirection, play, pass and around, revert, whatever it might be. And you see it on the first play, Austin literally climbs inside to the one technique, which is two gaps over where he lined up. I want you to think about that, two gaps to the left chips the one technique, wheels back out from the far Hash gets eight yards down the field and is at the numbers for a block on a dB that he wipes him out. That like Alec Ingle doing that as impressive at his size and speed, athletic profile and offensive lineman three hundred and twenty pounds doing that, it's absurd. Then in pass protection, I just see a completely different player than what we saw the first three years of his career. There's a third down conversion of Tyreek where he's one on one and he gets the initial punch with some effectiveness, but the defender does what you want to do in pass rushing and generates space between he and Austin that allows you to use your hands to redirect a cross face if you have to. But Austin calmly just continues to get depth, drops into his anchor and reshoots the hand and perfectly strikes the strike zone and runs him right around the quarterback. Like like we said, Like if I said this, you know, if we can just get replacement level play at right tackle and left guard, we can be pretty good. But this is like plus plus play from seventy three seventy seven has been really good too. But I think seventy three has been like I'm not gonna say Pro Bowl good, he's been really good. Maybe if he does it for you know, seven more games, we can start talking about that. But he has been fantastic. And I'm just having a really hard time not including Rob Hunt in my top five tapes. It's I had to include these other guys on offense, and I had to include some guys on defense as well, But I just want to acknowledge that Rob Hunt is playing at a Pro Bowl level, elite stuff weekend week out. We'll come back to that here in a second. But Austin Jackson's PFF numbers thirty two pass block snaps no pressures allowed on the year. That's a ninety seven point five pass block efficiency, which takes your pressures allowed divided by total pass blocking snaps. Guys, that's twelfth among all offensive tackles who have at least one hundred pass blocking snaps not right tackles out of thirty two out of sixty four tackles. In fact, there are sixty five that have played that many injuries can obviously have an impact on that. The twelfth best tackle in terms of pass blocking and he's probably a top ten run blocker. My goodness Man number two tape, Tyreek Hill. I always note this with receivers in this offense, originally because we tend to get more plays in the running game early it seems like, but his competitiveness as a blocker and sealer on crack toss down the field is really really good. I also continue to just marvel by the way he sets up his moves, not just with the football to run after the catch, but without it in his route running. The attention that he draws like double coverage, bracket coverage, safety help, rolling guys over the top, and he still produces at this level leads the league. There are a lot of guys that have their hat in this ring, but he's my most valuable non quarter back in football. The speed, the way he alters his landmarks and kind of changes up a certain route on a given play based upon a certain coverage, the effort he exudes, the attention he commands, how he wins when he finally does get the chance where he's not bracketed a sixty nine yard touchdown catch nice, The releases he has inside outside all equally impressive. Just an impressive, impressive player. He's heading towards like all time greatest dolphin like Dan Marino will probably never be topped. Tyreek's come from that number two spot. Man, if he does it for another five years like this, like goly ten point six yards per route ran, like if you average two in that category. Two, If you get two in that category, it's really good. He had ten in the game, twenty yards per target in the game. If you have eight, that's really good. It's crazy. This is crazy production. Devon ah Chan's my third top tape. What more can you say about him? The speed obviously garners all the attention, but the way he sees it and hits it is what creates that urgency that I feel like gets to flat footed or in the case of his long run, that safety was coming from depth, like oh, I'm going to make a play right here. But because Devaughan was so decisive and hit it so fast, he quickly got on his toes and that wasn't the place to be. He should have been getting more depth to try to cut that angle off and save you know, a potential thirty yard run and not let it go for seventy six. But because of how consistent he is of making the correct decision and hitting it with conviction. I think it creates a lot of that urgency that causes bad decisions on the other side. He sets up his block so well and allows his speed to have maximum impact. With the decision making and style of running that he has, I really hope he's okay heading forward here. Number four is Zach Seeler. It's just the length every damn week. I mean, the moment he sees a guy leaning, he throws in a swim, a dip rip, an arm over, and the force that he generates with that shove, like the arm on the back, and then get my cleats in the ground and use that lower body strength to really generate the momentum to generate the leverage. He just throws guys on the ground. Like between Christian Zach and Rob Hunt, those guys are putting more bodies in the ground than a grave digger does. It's just impressive the power and strength and the way they play behind their pads every single week. And when it comes to Zach Sealer like it just he's in the backfield over and over in this game. And when him and Wilkins get these quick wins. Gosh, it makes the world of difference for the off ball backers. That's when Long and Baker are at their best. Additionally, the way that he holds his ground on double teams, I forget the terminology for this. There's a term for defensive tackles holding the double team point where they kind of go to the knee and just basically anchor against that look. He does it, but also stays on his feet and allows, you know, holds those guys from getting to the second level. Just over and over. The back to back TfL sack reps were absolutely comical. Again, let the bodies hit the floor. Man. It's a result of ninety two's work and his strength that he exhibits every single week. What a game, As my guy Seth Levet on the Fish Tank podcast says, grown ass man. The grip, strength, the leverage he creates. I can't say enough about Zach Sealer. He is an impressive, pressive football player. He had five pressures in this game according to PFF, and seven run stops. Run stops are essentially wins for the defense in terms of they didn't gain the requisite yards to consider a win for the offense. Seven times Zach made the tackle or the defense got a win. That's a ridiculous number. Number five top tape is Christian Wilkins. I just wanted to put these two guys together here because I think they kind of set the table for everybody else to have the performances they had. But my first note was the first step quickness just jumps off the tape. He played this like two technique two I three technique position all game long, and he was just consistently finding ways looping across the guard's inside post. And I wonder if teams will adjust to that, because you know, the first four games of the year, we've kind of played those light interior looks where we kind of gave up the a gap on either side, and I thought teams took advantage of that. But the way Christian played with kind of looping inside off of that maybe gives you some more ability to fit that gap and then use linebackers and the b gaps to kind of come excuse me to kind of come down and you know, give you your run fits. But I wonder if teams will just to that move because he consistently had so many moves working. The one hand stab crossover and rip through. He was dominant in the twist game, looping across you know, an underneath pick. He held up against double teams, got wide against the outside runs, just a vintage Christian Wilkins game. Constant pressure, never gave an inch against the run. And again, these two guys set the table for everybody else in this defense. But Van Ginkel, Chubb Deshaun Cater were all in consideration for me on the defense, just like Rob Hunt was on offense. Quite frankly, how alec Ingold was on the offense. Connor Williams. Really a lot of guys were in contention here for Top five tapes. His number is Christian Wilkins. Seven pressures, three run stops in the game. Fantastic. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side and kick off the offensive tape. We also have the defense to get to and snap counts. All that ahead. Drive Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. We've broken down the big plays. We've talked about the top five tapes, Christian Wilkins, Zack Sealer, Tyreek Kill, Devon a Chan and Austin Jackson get my top five tape. Let's go ahead and continue with general offensive notes here first, and I just put down that this is an absolute headache of an offense to deal with. The false keys are positively paralyzing you motion one way. You've got pullers going out the other direction, reverse options coming back the original way, with the football going back the other direction. Are you confused? I am? Where am I am? I? Travis? I think so. And a quarterback who just drills those fine details and uses slide of hand to put it all together. It's a lot to deal with. Man, Just the game plan of attacking the edge just was a pure thing of beauty. I lost count of how many plays we gave the n man on the line of scrimmage a free run at the quarterback and they'd take it, only to realize, ah, there's a reason I'm free. I'm naked here. And when they would take it, they'd realize quickly the ball had already gone out the back gate seconds earlier. I said in the preview podcast, this defense is super, super aggressive, and Miami use it against them. Something else I've really been kind of keeping an eye on is the Dolphins of Bill to get production from two back sets, and not just with Alec ingold in the game, which obviously is twenty one personnel, but two back sets that utilize two running backs, which gives you more speed and sure enough, head coach Mike McDaniel answered a question on Monday about what you call that grouping and when they replace the full back with a running back, it's called fast twenty one, at least here for the Miami Dolphins, So I looked into it. Nobody is utilizing two back sets right now like Miami, and again not just Alec, but the entire running back compliment with any twenty one personnel grouping, So it could be Alec, it could be a different running back, but all of them combined, Miami has a point two to two EPA that's double the second place team in that category, who is no one else other than the forty nine ers. And for a little more digestible number, with two back personnel that does not include Alec, the fast twenty one personnel, they're averaging ten point three yards per pass and eleven point six yards per carry. Thanks to Chris Coffin for finding that for us on Twitter. I think through true media, I believe either way that's ridiculous. Let's go ahead and hear from coach on how that personnel grouping has been so productive this season.
Speaker 2: You know, they're the way they're playing football and really taken to various assignments, being able to multi train and get get you know, some receiver responsibilities from the running backs and some running back responsibilities from the receivers because of their football acumen. You know it. It does present a problem that you know, there's there's always some sort of uh, there's there's some sort of solution defensively, and so they have to be especially if you have a tel so in terms of what you like to do in it. So I think it's a it's a testament to all those guys commitment to the whole offense because we're able to run various different types of schemes runs, passes, dropbacks, and play actions and all sorts of things out of that because they like being out on the field together.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and get to the tua tongue of Bilow a portion of the podcast, I thought this was his worst game of the season by quite a long shot. It kind of reminds me of the Patriots game last year too. Many mistakes, too many head scratching decisions, and just not enough big time throws to really I guess negate that, although the sixty to nine yard pass was perfect. But anyway, the first play that caught my eye was the flip to Cedric Wilson on the opening drive, that little motion to wheel like quick now route. And I feel like this portion of the All twenty two gets long because you need descriptors to appreciate the nuance of Tua's game. So just real quick, you guys saw it was early in the game, right, the little all the edge motion stuff they were doing, all the screens and you know, flips and end a round stuff, and then you get Cedric in motion with a quick hitter from Tua. And I want to describe this best I can without having a video element. So raheems in the pistol behind Tua, and you have Chosen in a can dense split to the same side of motion too, and there's only one corner out there who's covering Chosen. So when Cedric goes wide, he's all alone. And the next closest guy is a safety fifteen yards off the ball and a linebacker five yards off the ball. But you're already outflanked. But the reason I wanted to talk about this is because Fedric gets seven yards upfield before the ball hits him right in the face mask, and Tua got the football to him in one point two seconds. Here's the things that he had to do in one point two seconds to throw the ball to the perimeter seven yards down the field to wedge it between Cedrick Wilson's face mask. If he didn't have hands, fake a handoff in a way that flips his feet in the opposite direction that he needs for clean mechanics. So you know, throwing a ball right handed to your left with your left foot forward, wof that makes sense. But as he flips the feet back to proper alignment, the throwing motion in his upper body has already begun. So he's putting these two cogs of the machine together at different varied timings, which wouldn't really necessitate muscle memory. It's just like a freak skill that you would have. And you guys know, I love to compare these moments to everyday activities. I would say it's like when you're cooking dinner and you're juggling multiple dishes and courses in a way that has them all come out fresh at the exact same time. It's a craft that you should appreciate but probably don't. So in one point two seconds, all these things occur. Snap the football, fake a handoff, flip the feet, one hundred and eighty degrees. Football comes out and if Cedric just didn't raise his hands like I said, it would have jammed between the opening and his face mask. Perfect location. Despite all the chaos of having to flip your entire mechanical operation in one point two seconds. Please, please, for the love of God, please appreciate this quarterback while we have them. Guys, I implore you. You endured Jay Fiedler and Brian Greasy and aj Feely and Cleo Lemmon and John Beck, and I mean you endured it all to get to this quick complaining about it. He's a great player. Now again, I thought it was twoa's worst tape of the season. Pretty high bar when you passed for two touchdowns on three hundred yards, right, But here's why. Other there were several occasions where he threw with anticipation before a defender peeled off where he thought they were and they got involved in the play. And what this does is an empowered ding dongs like Stephen Ruiz to say that this quarterback only throws predicated based on what he knows from the pre snap recognition, Like if you don't know how to count a potato, don't try to evaluate quarterback play because this quarterback doesn't do that. If you watch the tape, you know. But in this game he did three times. Three times. Okay, really, it's probably been about six times all season. But it began on the play before the first touchdown. The conflict linebacker never sinks into run action on that pass to waddle in the back of the end zone, but Tua still fires it back there on the crosser gets a hand on it pass breakup, and we'll see later later in the game that hands on footballs down there can have catastrophic results. Now, when you watch the end zone angle, it does look like Tua tries to settle him away from the flow with a back shoulder ball, so he damn near beat it. But it was a bit of a theme later in the game, throwing into pockets where the defense would peel back into the next one was the pick six, and I'm just gonna gonake of here. First we're get to the positive. Just try to jam a hookup route that wasn't there. In fact, nothing was there. It was good red zone defense by the Giants. The mic flowed that way, the slot peeled off and jumped it. I mean it really should have been picked originally, and I wish it would have been, because it would have been a touchback and they would have fallen down on the end zone and not ran back one hundred and two yards. But on this play, Tyreek and Waddle are bracketed and you've got little little bracks and burials to the top of the field one on one with no help at all, just purely a one on one matchup. I think he can win those. Let's go to him next time on that the second I int Tua is always going to take the blame, but his hand pretty clearly hits Connor Williams Helmet who was getting bull rushed back into the lap of Tua by Dexter Lawrence. And don't say that this Connor Williams can't play football because of one rep, don't You Guys should know better than that. He had a great game, He had one bad rep and it cost us a turnover. It happens. Nothing more to it than that. I suppose you get onto it for not finding a cleaner platform and being careless with the football. But it wasn't some crazy bad decision. So that was bad. Let's go ahead and get back to the good here, because literally on the next play after the first bad is a great touchdown strike broken play two gets outside of structure and throws high to a covered man. That's the ticket in that part of the end zone. Throw it up and away from the coverage, just like the Baltimore game last year for the game winner. Does it again to Walla for a touchdown. I think my favorite play was the rep right before the eighth chan touchdown. He makes a free runner miss out of his own end zone, attacks the line of scrimmage with his eyes up and that pulls the hooked defender down to come prevent a scramble, and Tua just flips it with his feet facing the forward. No mechanical proficiency there, drop the arm angle, slide that thing around him to a vacated area for Tyreek Hill for a first down. Not just erasing negative plays turning them into chain moving plays, and then a real quick analysis on the response drive after the pick. Awesome location on a hookup throw to Braxton Barrios that settles in between two defenders and leads him into a run after the catch. Actually then capital a anticipation on the glance route to Cedric Wilson, the balls out before he's even into the break. We see that all time with River Craycraft. Here it goes to Hedric Wilson, screen goes for one yard, but maybe his best throw of the day after that is a twelve yard shot to Wattle where the Giants show zone match with too high. Tua hits the back foot, fires with anticipation to waddle on a glance to the other side, and the defender is right on Wattles back. But the ball's perfectly located low in a way. And then there's some more awesome location in terms of throwing to a spot that it's not traditionally supposed to go to, and that's the end game processing you see with Tua. It's another glance route, so it should be out in front on the upfield shoulder right, but the Giants dB drives on it and so Tua throws it on his back ear hole and it pivots Cedric out of a collision and into it right after the catch, and he damn near finds the sideline on the top of the clock. Pro Football Focus had some stats on Tua's game wonder with the Giants blitz it to a whole bunch. They've been a forty percent blitz team this year they did just twelve point five percent. He was two for four for twenty yards. He also threw two passes of twenty plus air yards connected on one for sixty nine in a touchdown and the intermediate passing game and balls ten plus yards down the field four for eight one hundred and twelve yards and a touchdown, and the red zone i int was his first since twenty twenty. He had thrown thirty eight straight touchdowns without a red zone pick before that, so pretty rare occurrence there. How about the eligibles Jalen Waddle the quick hit to Tyreek on the first drive. He holds a block for the entirety of the play. Does it every single week. The touchdown play is the payoff and more evidence of how awesome this guy is. He peels back with the movement of the quarterback, elevates at the exact right time, high points to football survives the ground six great play, Penguin, do your dance. Then he goes back to being selfless. HiT's a good natural rub on a mesh route to free up Cheetah for a first down catch on third and four. In the next drive, I just thought he caught the football really well. A couple of instances with the balls off of his frame and like low and away are up high and he pulled him in. Those are tough catches and he did it. Let's see Chris Brooks. I see a young man. You know, he's running some of that Trent Sherfield lead block motion we saw last year, and he's cleaning clocks doing it. It's impressive. Alec Ingold don't have any specifics on him, but just continuing to square out blocks and removing bodies from the equation. He is a good football player. Bracks and Barrios. I feel like he just does those tangibles that you don't really notice that much, but they add up to winning football. First play after the pick, he creates one at eight yards and in one motion just pivots upfield and lunges into extra yards for the first down. It's very Wes Welker like continue to be super impressed by Raheem. Most of its power teams just are not getting him down on first crack. He had a twenty one yard run where he made an unblocked man miss with a nifty move at the point like the safety came down on field and it was one on one Verheem and the safety and the gap. No chance for you there. And then the wiggle on that final third down conversion after the catch. Just love his nose for the marker, whether it's a goal line or the first down sticks offensive line. I had Rob Hunt at a pancake counter of three on the waddle twenty yard screen out in space, the eight chan run in the third quarter, and then a Raheem run late in the third quarter. I mean the number of times he has one on one blocks and puts his guy in the ground. He's the grave digger. I think you're hard pressed to find someone who's done it more than him. He is playing at an elite level. The guards in this team, Isaiah Win and Robert Hunt, have been awesome. There are number two and number three in NFL in the NFL's pass blocking efficiency metric from Pro Football Focus. Among all guards, ninety nine point four and ninety nine point two. They've allowed a combined five QB pressures. It's three for Hunt, two for Win on three hundred and seventy five total pass blocking snaps. Not bad. Kendall Lamb just a pro of keeping his feet and hands active. He just has different tricks in his bag to get him wins. He consistently works to improve his position and finish his seals that are so imperative to the edges of the running game. The one sack was him giving up the inside post to Thibodeau, which you can't do that, man, Like you had some help there. It looked like maybe he expected more of Isaiah Win to help him on that spot. But it was a three man rush when we gave up a sack. We can't have those guys. So I'm not going to emphatically claim one way or the other whose fault it was. But let's clean that up. Let's go ahead and hear more from coach McDaniel on how this offensive line plays in space, because they were so damn impressive in this game, getting out beyond the numbers and making big blocks.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's the strain. Three four seconds into a play and and those you know, those blocks that are occurring, you know, closer to the numbers or outside the numbers. That's if you if you're a successful offense running the ball, that's pretty much a staple. I think it's ah ah there, it's it's it's consistent with any good running team that you're having one hundred percent commitment to executing your assignments and that those you know, the second you start having success, guys start understanding how important each and every block is. And I think, you know, as we do find success or we're finding more and more plays where guys are engaged in the appropriate with the appropriate leverage relative to the to the back, and you're seeing a lot of a lot of our ballhanders makes some plays and you're even seeing in lineman doing some pretty cool stuff on receiver screens as well. So I think that is a picture that if you're wanting to be successful in those phases, it will always kind of have those marks. And glad that it's showing up. Now did he.
Speaker 1: Say ballhanders just as a whole eligibles line design, all of it. It's so pretty. I want to just give more flowers to Durham Isaiah and Connor because I didn't talk about them individually. It's just been a full team execution and that's really the only way you set records like this group is doing is with eleven on eleven execution. The way the interior three is working together is just perfect. Connor does so much to help the guards one v one where he really cuts off a potential inside move which makes them one dimensional, which makes it easier for the guards to get their job done. So subtle but so important. Now, ball security needs to be a point of emphasis. But I don't really know how you can complain with this tape. Raheem a fumble, a chan of five to two bad decisions to put the ball in harm's way. Clean that stuff up, and like you're going to break the record because you are leaving me on the bone while you're being the best offensive all time. Think about that. Let's go ahead and take a break and come back and talk about the defense's best day of the year. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Dolphins defense does not allow a touchdown in this thirty one sixteen victory four and one after our fourth win in five starts this season, and I thought defensively, there were some really good examples on this tape of guys getting in shape to do what they do best. And what I think has been the biggest boon is getting Deshaun Elliott back or here I should say his range on the back end has really allowed Javon Holland to play closer to the line of scrimmage. There was a cover three rep on the Giants' second drive where we snuck both Cater and Javon Holland down into the curl flat hook zones. So think about like basically you know quasi linebacker roles, with how well both those guys process and tackle, that's a great way to eliminate deep shots while getting some of your best tacklers in position to cut down the checkdowns that teams might have. Also, I know, like people will point to opponent, but I thought the connectivity of coverage was so much better in this game. Yes, the Giants have struggled up front, but after a couple of early completions, a lot of Jones runs or incompletions were because that there wasn't anything opened down the field. I think that we really missed not having Elliott back during Week four. More on that in a moment, but coach touched on the defensive effort this week and also when I asked him about how the rush and coverage married up in this game, a detailed explanation of how that worked out in Miami's favor.
Speaker 2: Oh, they going hand to hand, for sure, there was a lot of it was really exciting. I thought. I thought the defense had the best week of practice they've had all all year, and I think it definitely translated. I think the player saw it, and there was a lot, you know, I think there was The quarterback hits were the most since a certain amount of time that was a while ago. And you know, I think that's a testament to team defense for sure. You know, you can't have one without the other, and you have explosive plays when the coverage isn't tied to the pass rush, even if you're getting home pretty quick. And you know, the idea of this, of our defense really in general, is that is that we when we're tied together, you know, you you force teams to have to execute at the highest level, or you make them pay by being a little too aggressive or you know, being too conservative. So I thought that it was there was the most examples of the vision of what we want to be as a defense last game, which is what you want to see.
Speaker 1: Pff tab the Fins with thirty eight total quarterback pressures and thirty five run stops in the game, just outright dominant. Most of the snaps went in the Dolphins favor. So I do want to get some more numbers to you guys. He will do that later in the podcast this week, like a Friday numbers recap or something something like that. But either way, upfront Bradley Chubb, we talk a lot on the show about unheralded things that guys do. Watch the way Chubb engages and then holds onto guys who want to chip and climb off of him. He just won't allow for it. He consistently beat split flow action, went and got the blockers. Underrated game for Bradley Chubb, he was excellent. Six QB pressures, three run stops. Andrew Van Ginkel was He was in my top five, but I moved him to the last minute to put both d tackles in there. I just love the way he doesn't wait for the game to come to him. He goes and gets it. He plays the physicality aspect of the game as well as anybody. He resets lion scrimmage, engages chips with a ferocity that allows him to shed them better, like on the play where he went and got Daniel Jones and battered the ball back in his face. Doesn't let their hands get into his chest plate. The other thing that just looks immensely faster this year is the way he gets around the corner. It's I he didn't know he had that in his bag. Gosh, He's dipping under the outside arm without having any really breaking or you know, half to corner inside. He just does it fluidly and that allows him to maintain acceleration and finish. He's been the best finisher this year as a pass rusher on the team and turning himself into an invaluable part of the defense. He had eight QB pressures and three run stops per Pro Football Focus been a pretty positive podcast right but early in the game I was not very thrilled about the work of the two linebackers. David Long in particular. There is a rail seam slide that bread and butter. We run right, and he's getting beat pretty easily in coverage on this rep, but also in general, and like the stuff I've liked has shown up when he's just going silent the sideline. But right now I think he's getting the umbreare out on him in coverage because teams are going after Himan. You saw Deshaun Elliott kind of barking at him on one play, But where the heck you going? Bro? I thought two of his traits that you know. I loved the Tennessee Titans tape popped off that perimeter speed I talked about, but also block deconstruction. He got better as the game went along, a couple of run stuffs in support where he Key's early goes and whax the guard gets off the block and makes the play. So it was good to see some flashes of that. Hopefully that continues here. He had four run stops in the game and the secondary. Generally speaking, I love the way our DB's fit when asked to be the forced defender against the running game so consistently. I think that Chubb gink Ogba JP when he's been out there, they dent the edge and create lots of free runs for Javon. Deshaun Cater and even Eli in this game. I won't put X in that category, just not his game, but those guys have been so good at filling and rapping and finishing those tackles off the edge. One of the things the Giants had success with was those inbreaking routes off of man or at least presenting his man coverage. I don't know the mechanics O, but it looks slow to react at times to drive on those inside throws. X got beat once when he got turned around. Eli gave up a couple as well, but other than that, like Deshaun Elliott, nothing short of an awesome tape. Once again, I think the rules of the scheme have clicked for him. He's playing traffic cop back there, and the way we've seen Javon Holland do in the past, he also frees up Javon in a big way. What I like most about him is he can play his technique, play his rules, but then take himself to an additional play outside of his job. That first run stop he had, he comes from depth to wipe out a little slide route they fake it to, but then it's a handoff, so he just works off of that and goes inside and makes a tackle for loss. Cater Kohu. If you're tired of me praising his ability to cut down screen passes, let me say this. It's all part of his processing ability. That's just football, man. This player is doing that at a big time level. What information can I glean from what they're showing me. Cater peeps the release of his man across from him. He knows it's a block, which means the screen's coming. Let me go get that thing he does for a big TfL. I thought Apple had really good feel for contact for when to peel back in his eyes in the quarterback on that Van Ginkel pass rejection. The matumbo no no no no. Eli might have had to pick there if it got off with really good feel playing the original route, staying in phase and kind of continue the secondary route and staying in that back pocket to get a hand on the football that would have been coming that way. Did have a great pass breakup on Darren Waller later in the game as well, and then X. Speaking of Waller, I thought was one of his best reps of the year stands the I NT in New England where he squat on the short route wheeled off the double and then got his head back and broke up the pass. You can play that way when it's Darren Waller, maybe not when it's you know, a Tyreek Hill type, which good things on our team, but a good matchup or a good hat off to x Amy and Howard there for knowing the matchup and what he can get away with. How about snap counts, then we'll get out of here. You kind of start to get a feel for what the team thinks they have internally with some of these snap count delineations. Here the offensive line went wired to wire except for Isaiah Win missing one snap, which Liam Miichenberg filled in for him. There we saw two ago the distance. Obviously, Smyth gave you forty four reps in this game. That's eighty one percent of the workloads, so he continues to see a big chunk of the workload there. Walla was a leading receiver in snaps. He played forty four That was again eighty one percent of the snaps, with Tyreek playing just twenty five snaps. Is that accurate, dang, I didn't know that Cedric Wilson played twenty nine snaps in the game, and then running back you still had you know, I know, Chan got banged up later in the game, but moster had thirty two compared to a Chan's twenty six. And then you also had Chris Brooks play seven snaps as that kind of motion jet sweep blocker. I was cool to see. And then of course, I think some of the emergence of both the backs together has cut into alec Ingold's work little a little bit. He played thirty five percent of the snaps. Braxon Barrios gave you thirty seven percent of the snaps as well, So they're just mixing all this stuff in. And it goes back to like the question I saw, you know, some people asking like why do they do all this like mixing and matching in the you know, in training camp. It's because, like they have a lot of different packages they use. And you can see that right here. Chosen played ten snaps, Julian Hill played fourteen snaps, So pretty good mix there. On offense. Defensively, this always is a little more you know, kind of I think scattered than an offense is. But you had actually five guys play the entire game here, Holland, Kohu, Baker, Elliott, and Howard common for your safeties and corners and your middle linebacker there, so that's not like a surprise, but it has been like two or three guys most of the year so far. David Long had his biggest workload of the season ninety two percent of the snaps this year, and I thought, again he got much more consistent and better as the game went along. There, Eli Apple played ninety percent of the snap so lots of nickel there for this defense. Andrew Van Ginkle played over eighty percent of the snaps, so did Bradley Chubb right next to him with fifty seven snaps. So those guys, you know, without Jalen Phillips or your top guys, top go two guys there, and then ogbab played thirty eight percent of the snap, so you kind of see the rotation how they're thinking they're with those three guys. The once JP gets back, that should be a different mix altogether, because I think I would not take JP off the field ever if he is healthy. Inside Wilkins and Sealer, I was told there might be a little bit reduction there and workload. Maybe it worked out for those guys because they played forty nine and forty six snaps respectively. That sixty eight and sixty four, which typically those guys have been like eighty percent snap takers, which is a just crazy absurd high number of snaps for a defensive tack will to take. So those guys get a reduction and it leads to more production. Imagine that Rayqwan played thirty snaps, that's forty two percent of the workload. DeShawn Han played twenty six, maybe a little bit more him eating into ray Kwan's workload there. And then Bethel played just six snaps that dime defender and Cam Good gave you two snaps late in the game, so good stuff there. Elijah Campbell and Duke Riley both had twenty one special teams, Brandon Jones had nineteen, Cam Smith and Chase Winnowich had fourteen a pop as well. So Brandon Jones, we'll see if he can get more defensive work going forward. We talked about the game against Buffalo not being his best, but you've got options, man, You've got reinforcements coming back off injuries as well. This football team is well well well positioned.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited about how this team can, you know, unfold going forward. I am, though, trying to be mindful and present about enjoying what we have right now, which is a four and one football team, breaking all kinds of records offensively and starting to play some better defense too, hopefully. So that's your podcast. That's your breakdown, about forty five minutes for you guys here. We'll be back on Wednesday with the game preview, taking a look at Dolphins and Panthers. Looking forward to watching that tape. We'll do that on Wednesday. In the meantime, it's going to be my time you all. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. Follow on social at Wingfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out my boys, Seth and Juice on the Fish Tank podcast. Paul Soley either guest this week. You don't want to miss that. Plus the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins a Day, and so much more than must but not least Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, finds up Carolina and Cameron. Daddy just come home. Whoo