Speaker 1: Aj Minter has been traded to the Minnesota Twins. Coming back to New York Mets. We've got Brewin Agbayani, Benny Agbayani son, and Billy Amick, a first baseman that was in double A. We're gonna talk about everything going on the aj mint trade, as well as some new rumors that are circulating. Before we get going into it, make sure you are subscribed to Mets up. Every single trade that's of any sort of relevance, we're gonna cover it over here on the channel, so you're gonna want to subscribe.
Speaker 2: And if you're listening to.
Speaker 1: Us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops the rat and drops a review, download and subscribe.
Speaker 2: I mean this was an aj Minter trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy to do this podcast, and I'm very fresh now on this trade. I have not been on Twitter, just did my research on the players. It feels super adequate for three months of a believer who throws like ninety two miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we were joking about it before because a lot of people online which probably shouldn't really be paying too much attention to it, but I am because that's the world that we live in. A lot of people underwhelmed by the package back, being like we got no big prospects. I don't know what you guys were truthfully expecting, Like you said, for two months of a life tended reliever throws ninety two miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Aj Minter's good.
Speaker 1: This is nothing against the quality of the player that he was, but he's like the nineteenth best, twentieth best left handed reliever in baseball on a rental. I just I don't really know what people were expecting back, And I do think that it was a pretty fair of like package back that the Mets got, And I think that there's even some like outside upside for what these guys could eventually be. But I understand why on the surface people are like underwhelmed. But if you take a deeper look under the hood, you know why this was happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically just it's kind of something you've been saying a lot off air that you want from this deadline. Just give me a trait, give me something that a player is very good at, and see if you can do something with it. And between these two players, Brewin Agbayani is is a big piece in this deal. He's dealt with some shoulder injuries. He hasn't played much over since being drafted in twenty twenty five. Signed out of high school, Twins took him away from University of Michigan. He just makes an obscene amount of contact.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he has good back speed. His bat speed's above average. I saw it was very low. Oh well, coming out of high school. They said it was above average bats. That's interesting. But also they talked about I think at the combine he flashed like a one oh nine max exit velow as an eighteen year old, So that's something to keep an eye out onto. I think that being a contact plus guy this young is a lot better than when it's like a twenty four year old who's a contact plus guy, because there's room for development and growth. But yeah, it seems like a contact first player who's gonna maybe play second base, maybe shortstop for a little bit, but he's gonna need some improvement if he wants to stick there. But he's a he's a contact first bat for a guy that again was a two month rental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just give me some again, very very small samples here of what he's done so far in a ball he has a ninety four percent zone contact rate and a fifteen percent with right Those are both some of the best marks at the entire level. But that's come with literally almost no power whatsoever. Again, not much sample here whatsoever, but that's that's kind of what this is. And he's a left handed bat, so at least in terms of player archetype, if you want to look at some kind of, you know, bench piece who can mix it in second base and also be a lefty bat, strong sideplatoon guy, that's at least something that you can see and you can squint in if a player like this can edd strength, get healthy off their shoulder, can maybe dream on being some kind of first division semi regular.
Speaker 1: And I do think that it's worth noting to like what he's been scouted as in the past two especially for a guy who hasn't played very much. So the scouting report is a little bit weird right now because you just haven't seen a lot of the professional level. But coming out of the draft, he was like a top four hundred player according to Baseball America, which basically puts him in like that top ten round range, which isn't too bad. They said at the combine he looked pretty good has a chance to stick at shortstop, but mostly going to probably move to second base or even the outfield. While he doesn't have like one carrying tool. The hand speed's good, the quality of contacts, good line drive hitter. These are things that if the Mets truly believe in their minor league hitting development, especially because he's a big dude. He's six foot two, like one eighty five close to two hundred pounds. Good power, Yeah, you could find some power here. And you mentioned the shoulder injury. It's hard to get a lot of power when you come off of a shoulder injury like that at a young age, developing learning.
Speaker 2: I like the Agbayanni poll. Also cool because it's Dad Betty Agbayani. I like that. I like a good story when you trade a nothing for nothing.
Speaker 3: And again this is also seventy four play appearance is at low way. He's still nineteen years old, so a lot a lot of the story left right here. And then going to Billy Ammick. He played one year at Tennessee. Big power, big swing and miss a right handed corner. Guys who don't like that kind of player. Yeah he's gonna fait first base. Yeah, he's gonna be a first baseman who his for power and does tons of swings and misses, the complete opposite of bruin Agbayani, where whereas an amix zone contact rate amis just his zone contact rate seventy percent double A this year. At the same time, he's twenty three home runs and that's an eighty six games nearly four hundred played appearance is.
Speaker 2: So that's something cool.
Speaker 3: But he's just gonna he's good to swing for the fences and hope something good happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's flashed some eggs of vilos at like one twelve, which would be above average power. The swing and miss is definitely a concern, and again, he's gonna play like what we consider to be like a not valuable position when you're evaluating prospects, being truthfully at first base, but he's not gonna be at three base as already as alrighty, but going back to it again, like he was a top thirty player in the twenty twenty four MLB draft. Obviously, the swing and miss stuff is very concerning when you're looking at him projecting for the future, because if you're swinging and missing this much at double A, it can be a concern of what you would swing and miss at against major league pitching. But I just don't think that there's necessarily this big concern in terms of we traded aj Minter for him. I love to see that we got big power potential and that's something that we're gonna have to develop now is more back to ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's again, it's the way it works for a seller at the trade deadline, not really in a great spot. You don't really get tons for rental relievers. It's just the nature of the beast here, so they get anything with mild intrigue. And also Amick was he was drafted, I have it right here out of Tennessee was the second round, sixtieth overall pick. He signed for the complete slid value of that pick. Like it's it's guys, you're adding to a minor league system that if one of them reaches the majors and gives you big contribution, like ah, sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also like this is gonna be a like really really crazy conversation now to have about the future. But like you gotta fill up your farm system with more capable players, and right now the bottom of the Mets system is super super weak.
Speaker 2: There's a big gap right now. Bottom is strong, the middle is weak. Well, the bottom is not really that strong either.
Speaker 1: I think the middle is stronger than it is the bottom because you look at the bottom of the Mets farm system right now, and it's like Marco Vargas, Cam Tilly, Antonio Jimas, it's a lot of I like Tilly when you're saying bottom, I'm thinking like the DSL guys.
Speaker 2: So there's the only guy's flashing on our system right now.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about I'm not talking about like in terms of age. I'm talking about in terms of like rankings across the publications, like from.
Speaker 2: Twenty to thirty. It's very very very.
Speaker 3: Open all Yeah, different conversations there. Yeah, which is again that that's just something that has not clicked over the last few years, which is a shame.
Speaker 1: If the Mets ever become a good baseball team again, these are guys that could be on the move to go get.
Speaker 2: AJ Mintors of the future to help us win games.
Speaker 3: Next year if we are good enough to want an aj mintor. Theoretically now we could possibly get an h Minter yeah for nothing. And last year we did this and this offseason, we did this, so we traded away a lot of those guys who you trade for AJ minters. Yeah, just by as frank Ela Salt, like the what was the guy from Harvard? We keep forgeting that guy's name, Truan, Paul, Truman Paul. With these the guys you trade to get your AJ mentors, you're Louise Roberts, your guys that you add to a contending team. That's just nature of the business. We also have underdog MLBST. I think Michael Marino.
Speaker 2: Oh, really shout out her point, Mike what they cite him.
Speaker 3: With of Freddie peralta for George Walcow as a proposed rumor.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean I like Walcow. He's got talk about a dude who has legit power. Walcow's got major power. I think he got like a sixty or seventy grade coming out of the draft. Also, I'm biased because he was committed to the University of South Carolina, so I always love to see that.
Speaker 3: The name sounds like something that be on the game Cock baseball team.
Speaker 2: But he's a He's an Illinois boy through and through. Eighty grade raw power. Yeah, that's sick right now. He has a sixty grade power. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: He's never I mean, he's he's pretty. He's still striking out thirty two percent of the time in Hya. Probably i'd still shoot higher for Freddy. I think that they're gonna get higher for Freddy too.
Speaker 1: I think another one of the rumors that came out about Freddy Praulta over the last few hours is that the Mets are looking for a top one hundred prospect and another piece as well, exactly we've.
Speaker 2: Been saying months now.
Speaker 3: I think that that's nice that the reporters out there, possibly this is all smoked green stuff just for the Mets to put that's price out there. But it does seem like the Mets are going to get a lot more for Freddy Peralta than a lot of us Mets fans might think, which is nice because he's.
Speaker 2: He's a pitcher. He's still our best asset. He's definitely our best asset, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Especially to day, you just want something, your best traded asset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're seeing what rental relievers are getting. It's not going to ever be particularly much, and the Mets don't have the elite rental reliever. They've got Luke Weaver, who's gonna be the best one that is available. But because the money, you probably aren't going to still get those top top prospects that Mets fans are hoping for. I that's one thing that I see, like the conversation about the returns back, Like, guys, you gotta know that it's not going to be getting the next great Mets outfielder or starting pitcher on the market this year.
Speaker 2: You're hoping that's for Freddy maybe Clay Holmes. Possibly.
Speaker 3: It's also the kind of thing, like we've talked about a lot, like the Mets really good chance leave this trade deadline without acquiring a single top hundred prospects.
Speaker 2: It's very possible, but it's.
Speaker 3: The kind of thing where like, hopefully by next July, you look at like the seven prospects the Mets got, you're like, all three of these guys actually are sneak into the back of the top hundred.
Speaker 1: And I think looking at what the Mets have done with their farm system over the last few years, even a guy like aj Ewing, who want when he came into the system, he was not a top one hundred guy. He just started to flash in the bottom top one hundred last year.
Speaker 2: Like, things can change very very quickly.
Speaker 1: And if the Mets do believe in the process that they have in the farm system, which has proven itself to be pretty good so far, get us guys, get us pieces, get us more people in there. And I'm thinking that by them trading and identifying and being able to hand pick the guys that they want, they see a vision with them.
Speaker 3: It's also kind of like, again, remember when we were in this spot last season as buyers rather than sellers, and we made a trade of Jose Boutteau, played Blade Tidwell, and Drew Gilbert for Tyler Rodgers, who still since then has been one of the best believers in all baseball in terms of effectiveness, And people like the Mets got fleeced, and all three of those guys are contributing very little at the.
Speaker 2: Magic level there.
Speaker 3: Honestly three of them are DFA candidates, yes literally. So again, it's just when you're in this spot as the seller, it's a little bit more difficult to recoup value the buyer wins a trade deadline deal, Like I mean, except for my friend Zach Scott, like eighty percent of the time by A Scott. No, we'll talk about that in a second here, but that's just what this. So you have to try and get something that you think can grow into something it's not you're not going to get I mean, I don't know if you guys do mercantilism when you were doing APUs history, like.
Speaker 2: I got it. I was APUs history.
Speaker 3: You're not getting finished products when you're making trades for relatively non value bleassets and rental relievers. Like, you have to get something that you can figure out some way around to develop, to grow, And eighteen months from now you're like, oh, Brunock Baiani's flashing at double A, Like that's the goal. I want to say that sentence on this podcast. By the end of next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Be like ooh, like a top two hundred prospect Brewock Baiani amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like brun BEHINDI might actually have enough to mix in at the major league level of twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Like, which would be great. And oh, who've been traded for him? Oh? Yeah it was aj Mentory.
Speaker 3: Oh Dan, that was cool that the Twins missed the playoffs by a game, like two games with him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then like, oh, Billy A.
Speaker 1: Mctriple a has thirty Homer, Sure call him up, see what's going on, See if he can be hot for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can get a reliever for Billy Emick this offseason something like that. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: I think that the process is good right now. From the trades that we have seen, We're obviously gonna see a lot more. Might even be back later today to talk about some trades because I have a feeling Freddy Perlt is gonna be traded today.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want him to start tonight. He should not be starting to. I still can't even believe it. I have that.
Speaker 3: But again, like you're just not going to get monster returns for three months of ann Elie reliever.
Speaker 1: No, And I'm gonna prepare you guys to Brooks Raley. It's gonna be similar ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless we can package Brooks Raley together with Freddy Pralt, which is why I've advocated for that this entire deadline coming through, and it does feel like there's more steam around packaging Luke Weaver with Clay Holmes together to get a near Pringe borderline.
Speaker 2: Top hunch ofd prospect kind of guy. That's how the Mets should should operate.
Speaker 1: I think, I don't know, Like at the end of the day, we're not gonna talk too much more about this because it's an aj minter trade.
Speaker 3: But now you guys are sickos listening to us, so we love you. Yeah, and again quick fifteen minute and I hope you guys do the work day. I wanted to say, Zac Scott tweet really fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, So in case you guys didn't know, James and Zach Scott getting into it a little bit kind of I mean, so we shouted out Noah Danglar, he's a Mets fan, lives in the city, he's doing sabermetric stuff, and he had a good tweet that we literally read out in the podcast last week about the combined war of all the Mets bad players and how much money they're making.
Speaker 3: Yes, Polanco, Simeon, Sanga, the whole squad. And then Danglar's tweet was tweeting out about how upset he still was about the PCA have you bias trade? Which that was That was a funny moment for us to because remember on camera, I was freaking out.
Speaker 2: We were not.
Speaker 1: Happy because we saw we got Haavier bias. We're like ooh, and then we're like, please don't be PCA. And then the news came through and someone's gonna tweet us the clip. I know someone has it right now, so please tweet out if you can so we could use it.
Speaker 2: But it's we tweeted PCA, no oh, why did we do that? Holy shit? We were right? Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that I responded to Noah because he was like, how did this trade happen? What was Zack Scott thinking? And I said, on you know, late night on Thursday, finished up my work on Wednesday, Thursday morning. Wednesday night, he talks about the new podcast every month you get an answer soon.
Speaker 2: That was kind of funny, little tongue in cheek.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of those where, like Zach Scott, if you are listening to this, I don't think there was any malice ment. No. I think it's like and you should be able to laugh about that, like at this point.
Speaker 3: It also was really ironically funny that that day he went on Salakaya's podcast Yes talked about this trade in many other trades because he had a fruitful careers and executive.
Speaker 2: We had Zack Scott on ours and he talked about it too.
Speaker 1: This is what everybody wants to talk to him about because this is objectively one of the worst trades of the last five years.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's a shame that that becomes the lasting image.
Speaker 3: Of a guy who I did have a fruitful career in baseball front offices. Sound in front office and he responds to me, don't be a sarcastic prick to people who gave your pod their time.
Speaker 2: Fair. Fair, it's so fair, such a fair response. But also at the same time, like, can I have a little thickers that come on? Yeah? I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: It kind of makes me feel bad like his ex Scott, like name searching. This is he really in the depths here because he hasn't following me. I don't follow him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think Like you're like, I'm so sorry He'sax Scott to you, But also at the same time you're like, I hope, I wish you didn't take it personally.
Speaker 2: It wasn't meant to be a personal shot.
Speaker 3: It's more of like I'd be upset this made you feel bad because this is again, this is now his lasting image and that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yes, that sucks.
Speaker 3: So Zack Scott formal apology. Yeah, apologies. I bo the sarcastic preck. Sometimes I can be a sarcastic prick. It happens, but it wasn't meant to be that way.
Speaker 1: But anyways, that's all we got for your quick little fifteen minutes here on Mets stuff.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for watching.
Speaker 1: Make sure you're subscribed for all the trade deadline news that's gonna be coming out over the next few days.
Speaker 2: You can follow James on social media at James Giano.
Speaker 1: Maybe you'll catch one of his next sarcastic tweets. You can follow me at traffic Mark. We'll catch you, guys on the next one piece out.
Speaker 2: Guys, go Mets