Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hol on ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Harry's.
Speaker 3: Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back deal.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert Right on the price, right.
Speaker 4: On the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway in Valves WAA grab by Trey McBride.
Speaker 2: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash Podcast.
Speaker 3: All Right, Seas Rising Up, Timber Rising Vision, Blurring Rage, take it over.
Speaker 4: Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And Ron Wolfley it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 4: It's Home Opener week everyone year Red Sea. Let's hear it. I mean wolf come on over there. That's a golf clap or is that a home opener clap?
Speaker 1: What's going on? That was not You need to turn your microphone out, Polly. That was not a golf clap. I've never golf clap in my life. All right.
Speaker 4: So the official high in Phoenix a day one oh nine on Sunday. Did you know that it's forecast the first high temperature under one hundred degrees forecast for Sunday since late May.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Let's go, Pauli.
Speaker 4: That's obviously an honor of the home opener against the rant.
Speaker 1: And of course here's a beautiful thing about it. We all know October is coming, and when October comes, what do we do. We just waved to the rest of the country for the next eight months. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: Everyone wave hello as we introduce a young man who's going to be the answer to a trivia question the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Ooh, the first.
Speaker 4: Player to take the first ever dynamic kickoff to the house. Yes, DJ Dallas is our guest tonight, DJ welcome.
Speaker 5: How's it going?
Speaker 4: How uh you know? We interviewed you after the game, right, and then you went to your phone, like how many text messages did you have on your phone when you finally fired it up after the game?
Speaker 6: I had a lot, but there was only you know, one that I cared about. Dude, tell it was my boys from and my wife back at home. So I didn't really care about.
Speaker 5: The text messages. I just went straight to face times.
Speaker 4: Now that deserves a clappery.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about right there. Okay, so let we're going to talk about this kickoff return. The thing that I love the most is you were running north at one thousand miles an hour and everyone else is running south at one thousand miles an hour, and you stoked it right up the middle. Did it go where you designed the kickoff return to go?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it hit sort of where we wanted it to hit. I think with this new kickoff rule is really about like mentality and Coach Rodgers and JG they dialed that up.
Speaker 5: You know, we had that up preseason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we got repsetted and we repped it and it's a return that we know really well. And yeah, it's like I said, it's about mentality. It's really about like running through the dark crease and as a returner, that's what you really have to, you know, lock in and do it.
Speaker 1: You know what I loved about that too. If you're listening right now, it's execution. You hear this word a lot execution. We've got to execute better. When you think of DJ's kickoff return, it was executed to me perfectly, so many different levels. And the fact that you add the wherewithal to stoke it right up between the railroad tracks, between the hashes, stoke it right up the middle of the field, and then burst it to the outside. You had the speed to take it to the house. I did not know that about you. I did not know you had the wheels. That's something you've always known, correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I knew that I could run a little bit.
Speaker 6: But I tell you no, lie, when I got to the fifteen, I was like, oh, I hope I got enough jews to get there.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 1: So you were you were feeling it right?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, Right at the fifteen I was just like, yeah, this is gonna hurt a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, and we're going to revisit it in detail a little bit later. We're going to hear the call Passion Wolf on the call, and I want to get into the whole thing. Why you decided to wrap it and not hide it. I think we just got the answer, but there was the media guy afterwards. You're truly me asking jeez, how long were you guys hiding that one, Well, they weren't hiding it at all, Ron Wolfley, as you know, and boom you saw the results. So with about execution. Now, as for the Cardinals, man, it was sort of like two games in one. It was Week one, yep, but there was a seventeen to three league and then there was Josh Allen and the Bills. By the way, that's the forty first straight regular season game the Bills have not lost by more than six points, meaning they've won the majority of them, and when they have lost, it's been a one score game. So that is a juggernaut in the regular season.
Speaker 1: Buffalo, Yeah, you know, and I think to the Buffalo Bills, I don't think it's gonna surprise anybody, and most people are are looking at the Bills as a playoff team of course coming up this year. Not only that, I think they're gonna win the AFC East. Okay, I think.
Speaker 4: They're gonna win the done it four years straight.
Speaker 1: Yep, done it four years straight. I think they're gonna win it again. I know there's a lot of question marks over some of their secondary moves and things of that nature to the DBS, of course, but to me, I think they've got what it takes to win the AFC East. And having said that, this is a playoff caliber team, and we went up there and you know what, dominated the first half, then the Bills dominated the second half. It all came down to one possession at the end of a game. If you would have told me, Poet that it was gonna come down to that scenario the Cardinals take the ball on their own forty yard line with a minute fifty six to go and three timeouts, I would have said sold. If you told me it was gonna come down to that possession scoring a touchdown, if you kick the extra point, you win the game. I'd have taken that all day.
Speaker 4: What's the vibe been like in the locker room, what was the vibe like on the team playing? What's the vibe been like on the practice field after a thirty four to twenty eight loss.
Speaker 6: I think, well, a few different different, you know, vibes from like day after the game. Everybody was like, dang, like we probably should have won that game, you know, But after we got in on Monday and really like locked into like the film and looked at what we could have done better and where we went wrong. JG brought us all up and said, look, man, it's time to move on. It's time to move on because we are you know, for us to do what we want to do, we got to win the NFC with you know, and it starts on Sunday against the Rams, so you know, it's just moving on and you know, putting the Rams on our brain and leaving Buffalo off our brain.
Speaker 4: And in order to beat the Rams, beat LA, maybe beat down LA, you got to have that consistent offense for four quarters. And the offensive coordinator Drew Petsen was talking about.
Speaker 7: That the thing that we preach and the thing that we need to work towards, this consistency that we don't have lows, that we don't have halves like we did in the second half where we kind of you know, a couple three and ounce to turnover like that can't be our calling card. We need to put it together four quarters if we're going to go win games, and we weren't able to do that. So I think that's going to be the focus here this week is just trying to find that consistency and make sure that we're doing the things to put ourselves in a position to have those two quarters for four.
Speaker 4: I mean those first three drives there were two thirteen play touchdown drives. You were five or your first seven on third down, right, you're running it and passing. What was clicking on those first three position? And DJ is anything you can bottle up or refer to going forward from that? The first part of the first half, I feel like.
Speaker 6: We came out, we came out really hot, and everything was clicking. I mean, the run was clicking, the past was clicking. K K one looked amazing, and he looked amazing all game. But you know, uh, just everybody has to do their individual job and when their individual one on one, and we just got to do a lot more that in the in the second half.
Speaker 1: You know, for me, in that first half, and I'm an old school guy, you probably figured that out already, But to me, there were eight snaps you guys took from under center in the first half, and you didn't take one in the second half. There was no snaps from under center. Why was that? Was there any explanation given to you on that or just a situation where there were blitzing bringing pressure in the second half. Do you know why that is?
Speaker 6: Uh, I'm not sure, but I think Drew, you know, I trust Drew and uh, whatever he sees, we're going to run it. So yeah, like you said, you're you're I mean, you're kind of the saying we like that old school football.
Speaker 5: So I can see why going in the gun a lot is you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. One of the things I'd love to see us do, Polly, is it really attack the line of scrimmage against the Rams this week. And I would love to see us actually line up and go with a little twelve, maybe even a little thirteen, maybe even a little twenty one. Where's Jesse. Would gotta bring him out and just hammer that box because that's exactly what the Detroit Lions did to the Rams.
Speaker 4: Now, look, JG did tell us after the game that the Bills started loading the box. That was one adjustment they made. They start bringing run blitzes. You called that out on the broadcast. Yeah, could that have done something? He also lost your starting right tackle.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it, Pally, all of that factored into it. It really did. But at the same time, you still got to be able to run the ball, even if they are coming with some rundown stuff.
Speaker 4: In fact, here's Kyler Murray this week talking about losing Jonah Williams. Man, that was rough. Last play of the first quarter. Down goes Jonah Williams. He's on IR for now. Don't know the long term status yet. Good news is Calvin Beachum, in his thirteenth season, has been there and done that for many years. Here's k one.
Speaker 8: It hurts, you know anytime you're starting. You know, when you're starting, the lineman go down. But beach has played I don't know what year this is. I always joke about how he's, you know, everybody's grandpa, but uh no, he's he's you know, he's great though, played a ton of football. You know, I've obviously been around him, you know, for quite some time now, so I'm very comfortable with him being in the game. But yeah, man, just very unfortunate and tough for Jonah to go out, especially the way he was playing, you know, to begin that game.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's like thirty four and he's getting called grandpa.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Calvin Beacham he owned it with the media today, okay, and he said, it's tough when the head coach calls you grandpa in front of the whole room. So dj he gets that a lot.
Speaker 5: Apparently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's he's like a wizard in there, like we're all you know, you ever seen to the Ring?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: Sure, well we like to joke, only half joke, that he's going to be governor or CEO at some point.
Speaker 6: It is no doubt Beach is probably gonna be chill. He might even beat the president.
Speaker 1: I told him to his face, I vote for him. No, I don't care what parties what I vote for him. Yeah, it's just Beach. So you were going to say, you were going to say, have you ever seen Lord of the Rings? Oh, you're a Lord of the Rings fan of oh a little j r r to Okay, so do you call him Gandalf?
Speaker 5: That's a good one. Start calling him.
Speaker 4: You know what, you guys have a lot in common. Both Round four draft picks, both excel on special teams, both a little bit old school physical style. The opponents don't like either one of you. We'll get into that a little bit later. And you're both fans of Lord of the Rings. That's right, I see where this is going.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Single game tickets on now go to Eazycardinals dot com. Slash buy tickets to secure your seats. Today we'll get into that kickoff return for a touchdown with DJ Dallas on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Live at Trophy and Chandler. This one hangs in the air.
Speaker 3: It'll make it past the twenty, but it's taken on the five yard line by Dallas up the middle ten twenty thirty thirty five Dallas to the forty, breaks of backle bar, side of midfield, forty five to forty Dallas thirty five thirty twenty five, twenty Dallas to the ten to the five, dives into the end zone, pends.
Speaker 4: A touchdown for the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: A kickoff return for.
Speaker 3: A score and Arizona's right back in the game.
Speaker 9: The wind knocked the pig out of the air and DJ Dallas had the opportunity to return that ball hit the hole doing one hundred miles an hour, made some great decisions running the ball. Oh my goodness, what our great play by DJ Dallas.
Speaker 4: Well, if I can just envision you up in the booth, having gone to four Pro Bowls as a special teams ace, you were standing and jumping around. I mean you must have bolted out of your seat, pretty jacked up. Poly really was right there. But you know what, it's not a surprise. I saw DJ return the ball in the preseason and he was stoking it then running over dudes. All right, So as a first dynamic kickoff return touchdown ever, we talked about that first kickoff return touchdown by a Cardinals since twenty fifteen, David Johnson, first kickoff return touchdown in an NFL season opener since twenty eighteen, and the first Cardinals kickoff return touchdown in a season opener for the Cardinals since nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And just so you know, DJ, the last time any Cardinal had back to back games of kickoff return touchdowns was that same year, nineteen fifty four. Now my question to you is, do you think you'll ever see another kickoff returner? Are they going to touch back it on? You touched thirty? Going forward?
Speaker 5: Hopefully we see some more.
Speaker 6: I've got I've I set some pretty big goals this year, so hopefully we see some more.
Speaker 5: But man, I'm blessed. That's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So what was it like catching the pig in that wind? Because that looked like it it got knocked right out of the air.
Speaker 6: So there was one before that, like right before the half that I kind of bobbled a little bit, but the kicker mishit it and they were trying to drive it through the win instead of like leaving it up to hang and you know, giving us a chance to return it. But yeah, man, that that win in Buffalo was crazy, Like you you couldn't judge it. So like like I think it was like going.
Speaker 5: Into like the scoreboard, it would the ball would get caught.
Speaker 6: Up in the wind, but then going away from it, it would catch the win and just go into the stand.
Speaker 5: So it was oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: So in hindsight, the fact you guys did run it in the preseason, how integral How key was that to returning it all the way? Was it the reps it allowed you guys to execute it to such a high level.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 6: It really comes down to like chemistry of all eleven guys and you know there's two returners and then nine other guys that have to you know, block, and uh, it came down to just you know, Coach Rodgers dialing it up, the chemistry of the guys that we have on that team and Uh yeah, man in trust.
Speaker 4: Speaking to coach Rogers here, he is big picture on why the Cardinals went after DJ Dallas in free agency and then talking about his return style as well.
Speaker 10: I know how our guys felt tackling him and what you see on tape.
Speaker 1: And he is a big player with.
Speaker 10: The ball in his hand, and he runs fast and he has a physical run style, and he challenges people. He can be evasive, but he probably seek contact more than he's running away from it. And he showed up again in week one.
Speaker 4: Let's let's go to the joint practices because Wolf and I were there the Apolis and it was the I think it was the very first kick. Yeah, in the eleven and eleven kick return traill. You take it from there, Dj, what happened because we heard it as well as saw it.
Speaker 5: Uh So, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They were.
Speaker 6: Indianapolis was just like, I don't know, they were just talking a lot of trash. And I caught the first kick, and you know it was supposed to be you know, like a touch period or whatever. And the guy he tried to put his shoulder into me, and I just tried to just run right through him. You Jack, That's what I told coach Rogers, I'm like, man, I'm just defending myself just and.
Speaker 1: The other guy paid for it. Yeah, yeah, he made the decision. No, I saw that. I saw that play. As a matter of fact, I was standing behind it when I saw it. And yet there was a scrum that formed after that, all right, A couple of them. And you were in both those scrums. Interesting.
Speaker 4: I think every time you touched going forward there was a scrum.
Speaker 11: He look, I don't yeah, yeah, okay, But you know what, this is the thing that I want to talk to you about because we were talking a little bit before the broadcast and you were talking about mentality, and you've been talking about mentality.
Speaker 1: Give me your mentality. What what is your mentality when you play the game of football? Uh?
Speaker 5: You know, I kind of like the.
Speaker 6: I watched The Gladiator before every game, do you Yeah?
Speaker 5: And uh, I just kind of like the channel.
Speaker 1: Dead Wait a minute, not entertained. Yeah, you watch that.
Speaker 5: I like the channel debt.
Speaker 6: That's what I tap into, Like, you know, it's it's me versus you, and it's killer be killed at that point, you know, So I tap into that and the rest is I just let.
Speaker 1: The rest, So do you have a do you have a pre game ritual type thing that you go through that are you very ordered structured or is it a little chaotic? No?
Speaker 5: Chaos is is the best?
Speaker 6: Feel like like my pregame. Nothing stays the same throughout.
Speaker 5: You know, like the year.
Speaker 6: I feel like I thrive when there's it's not like as structured as like you know other players. But uh, one thing I did take from Gladiator is, you know, being where my feet are and being in the moment. And you know the scene where he enters the arena and he grabs the dirt or no, the first ward the first battle scene where he grabs the dirt.
Speaker 5: He picks up the dirt.
Speaker 6: And he rubs it in his hands, And that symbolized to me like be where your feet are.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: And I take that and I do it like every game, like you will see me. I grab a piece of the grass and I just rub it just where my feet are.
Speaker 1: Okay, this this guy might be my soul mad here right context. Okay, the only reason why you say that is lambeau Field. Every time I go up to lambeau Field, I grab the grass and rip it up and I stuff it in my pot. Yeah, stuff it in there.
Speaker 4: Didn't you used to lick the pigskin? Didn't you actually used too? Okay, let's not talk about that.
Speaker 1: I told you. Okay.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know what threes company, You know what someone else who shares that same mindset. He was our guest last week, Dennis Garda act.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He told a little story about the two of you. How you guys met in Week eighteen last year and things got a little chippy, little rooting in a tuting. Here's the play and then the comments about it. Dennis gard Ac.
Speaker 3: DJ Dallas scoops it up in the thirty five and he gets absolutely crushed by Gardack at the forty yard line. They're still cleaning up DJ Dallas in front of the Cardinal bench.
Speaker 4: So when the Cardinals signed DJ Dallas and you run into him for the first time at the team facility, is there a moment where it's a little awkward at that point?
Speaker 12: Definitely, because there's more than just that a history with me and DJ. We've been battling for the years, so it's cool to have him on our side. He's a he's a tough nose downhill runner in the return game, and he's great to have on our side. But there was like a mutual respect.
Speaker 4: All right, So awkward or not awkward when the guy you mixed it up with you meet him a few months later and now your teammates.
Speaker 6: No, so yeah, it was definitely it was definitely awkward at first.
Speaker 5: And uh I remember walking in, I'm like, are we good now? Are we good now? So yeah, no, I.
Speaker 6: Got so much respect for Dennis, just battling with him, like for my whole career.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, man, he's he's an ultimate competitor.
Speaker 6: That's the only thing I can say about Dennis, Like he's he's what you want in a in a in a ball player.
Speaker 1: You know, if you if you had to pick, what are the character traits of a great return man? Do you think there are there are some common denominators things you could look at between great return men? What are those commony? What makes up a great return man in the national football I think it.
Speaker 6: Only really comes comes down to one thing. Rather it be like the old rules or the new rules, Like you gotta be fearless, man, you gotta you gotta be fearless. You gotta be able to like go into that kind of that dark place and just say, man, I'm gonna throw caution into the wind and catch this ball and I'm gonna run into a crease that's a couple of inches, you know, and hope for the best.
Speaker 1: You just accept that it's something you've got to accept. Oh yeah, so you're not thinking about it when you're actually trying to do Now.
Speaker 6: I go into every every return thinking like I'm gonna get hit like this, it is what it is at this point.
Speaker 5: But if I don't get hit, I'm gonna hit somebody.
Speaker 4: Well, you've been returning kicksing puns since high school, right Yeah. And by the way, Wolf, if you didn't know this, he went to the seventh oldest public high school in the country. It was founded in seventeen eighty eight, the Glen Academy in Brunswick, Georgia, about an hour north of Jacksonville. What was that experience?
Speaker 6: Like, uh, South Georgia, man is man, it's I don't know. You gotta be from South Georgia to like really understand what it's like to grow up there. And uh man, going to Glen Academy, Uh was the best four years of my young adult life.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what is Brunswick STU. Oh yeah, yeah, is it Brunswick STU? Uh huh what what is that? I mean? Is that something that is really cool? Am I saying?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well yeah, we we We've even got a Brunswick STU festival down in Brunswick.
Speaker 4: You know what it says right here, the Brunswick Rock and Stue Belie.
Speaker 6: Ye it it's all yep, it's in October too, it's actually coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah heck yeah.
Speaker 4: You know Wolf would go for the all you can eat option there. I can tell you that right now if he showed.
Speaker 1: Up and a little spice. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh but no, they mean you can make it, Spike, you can make it.
Speaker 5: It's really preference.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm just saying right now, you have you.
Speaker 5: Go down there to believe. Yeah, man, you might, you might not want to come back.
Speaker 1: It's okay. Could we drop your name there? All right? Right here?
Speaker 4: So the fact Brunswick was once called the shrimp Capital of the world, do you flex on your d line coach Derek Lebron a little bit because he's from Brobridge, Louisiana, and he told us that he hails from the crawfish capital of the world. So in the Powerpole what's ahead the shrimp capitol or the crawfish.
Speaker 5: There's not enough meat in the crawlfish.
Speaker 1: You can only eat the tail.
Speaker 5: You can only eat the tail.
Speaker 1: So what is your favorite food? This is important to me? Okay, I mean once again, this is this is important. We've got a lot of things in common, DJ, you and I.
Speaker 4: If you guys share the same one, I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, what what is your favorite food to eat?
Speaker 5: Favorite food?
Speaker 1: Are you a food guy?
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, yeah, you know, but my palates like all over why like, but you know you can't. You can never go wrong with like some good steak and potatoes. Okay, yeah, I'm simple.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: My wife, she she she's the chef. She's the chef.
Speaker 1: She man steak and potatoes. That's what he likes. Right.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're trying to turn him into a foodie, he's not. He's a car guy. He's a car guy, Jay Dallas.
Speaker 1: And joys cars.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite favorite car? Yeah, like like blank.
Speaker 4: Check blank no, blank check? What you know, just give us a really exotic one.
Speaker 6: Oh see, I'm I'm like I love German made cars. So like any any nine eleven you can. You can't go wrong with the nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: I live vicariously through the car collections of you guys in that locker rooms too. You know Max Melton, me too, drove up in a four hundred thousand dollars car. Yeah, I got my Ford edge out front. I mean to come on now, all right, Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert your darn tutin. By the way, learn more about Cardinals season tickets than all the premium seating and luxury field seating experiences today Azycardinals dot Com slash tickets. We continue with DJ Dallas.
Speaker 3: Snap to Murky stands with a pocket hump fake now in trouble, steps up, throws, lobbing back at the end zone, and it's caught for a touchdown by Wilson Tyler Murray keeping that play alive and then lobbing it to an open Wilson. But Cartin will score the first touchdown of twenty twenty four. Shotgun Snap hands it off to Connor running right into.
Speaker 4: The end zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 1: Bang on the shield and roar, Oh my goodness. The Arizona Cardinals right now operating here in this first half James Connor stoking it with a little dip and riff.
Speaker 4: A little kramed vertical there in a goal line situation as he scores James Connor in Buffalo, and we have a member of the running back room. I bring that up because Trey Benson was sort of the feature back on that drive. James Connor, he had the punctuation with a touchdown. He came immediately sideline. He grabbed Trey Benson, sort of tapped him up, said, man, that was your drive. I just finished it. I thought that was great, kind of gave the rookie some confidence. I thought that was really cool by a team captain. It's a big red rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. Were live at Trophy and Chandler on Queen Creek Road just east of Price and our feature guest tonight, DJ Dallas. What's it like in that running back room and what sort of snacks have you tasked Trey Benson, the rookie, with providing on a daily basis.
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, uh no.
Speaker 6: Our rooms, Our rooms dynamic. We We've got a super dynamic room.
Speaker 5: You know. As you know, James is our leader and we go as he goes.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, j C is the leader, Trey the young buck. You know, we gotta keep him on the straight and arrow all the time.
Speaker 5: And then he got.
Speaker 6: A valuable, valuable second year guy in Imari Marcado. Uh and shot, we can't forget Mike Carter.
Speaker 5: Mike Carter's still on that round.
Speaker 6: So uh yeah, we we we've got a super dynamic room. Our room jails really well. And uh yeah, we're we're just trying to you know, totter up.
Speaker 1: Who's the Who's the funniest guy in that running back bro?
Speaker 6: Probably Mike Michael Carter, Yeah, probably Mike Sure.
Speaker 1: Just the loudest in that room.
Speaker 5: Loudest.
Speaker 6: I don't think we really got too many like loud like raw raw guys. Like I think we're all about business mostly, and uh we we get in and we we handle our business and we you know, we laugh and joke, but we're we're we're more so like business oriented.
Speaker 4: Right, So your first four in Seattle, all right, we don't like the Seahawks, but we love former Seahawks like you. Okay, that's the best kind of Seahawks, a former Seahawks. So you know the division really well, no doubt do you have an Aaron Donald's story. What was the like going against Aaron Donald? You know, I know the Cardinals would specifically game plan for ninety nine every time they would play the Rams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 6: My wife's over there, but yeah, no, I think it was my I want to say it was my second year and it was like a two minute.
Speaker 5: Drive and.
Speaker 6: The play got called dead, but you know how like the defense still goes and the ball kind of gets snapped, but the rests are still blowing to whistle.
Speaker 5: I get the ball thrown at me.
Speaker 6: I think Gino throws the ball at me to my feet, and Aaron Donald just picks me up and just walks me probably about ten yards away, and then I can never live it down. She's always like you remember when Aaron Donald put you on his hip and walked you down the field.
Speaker 1: My man, that's awesome. That's funny.
Speaker 4: Well, you don't have to worry about Aaron Donald because he retired and his next stop is the Hall of Fame. Here's Kyler Murray on facing the Rams minus ninety nine.
Speaker 8: I mean, there's still obviously well coached, got a lot of great young players out there to play super hard. Those things are a mess. You know, any d line that plays really hard and tries to get up to the quarterback the way they do this is gonna be a tough matchup for you. But yeah, man, he's in my eyes, the best of all time. So it's definitely you know, glad that he's not gonna be out there on Sunday for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, for really simple question, can the Cardinals pick up where the Lions left off in overtime?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, that is something that I'm really looking at in this poly I really am. The Detroit Lions lined up and they hammered the Los Angeles Rams. They did Now, they ran the ball thirty one times. They averaged over five yards a kerry. David Montgomery, of course, ran the ball very very hard. You gotta love watching David Montgomery.
Speaker 5: Noh yeah, he's one of my favorites run the ball.
Speaker 1: Really. You remind me of him a little bit in terms of how you run the ball, right. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I try to bring that Jews.
Speaker 1: Like you, and I'd love to see this. If the Arizona Cardinals can line up and attack cram it vertical, as JG likes to say, if we can attack in a north south way and really commit to doing it. Now, that means the defense has got to go out there and ball out as well. You've got to be in the game to stay balanced. And I'd love to see us attack and continue to attack that line of scrimmage. Knowing the Rams are coming off a very, very physical game. I think that plays into our hands because guess what, we're a physical team as well.
Speaker 4: You know you mentioned his playing style. Buddha Baker was asked today about the impact of DJ Dallas.
Speaker 13: Of course, playing against Seattle, DJ was a third down back that you know they used to block a us, so when I would come in on pressures, he'd be trying to, you know, run into me, you know, so he he is a great blocker back then, and to just have him here. He's a guy who understands his role, plays his role at a high level. But ultimately they're up and he got that touchdown to force the game into a one score situation. So that definitely brought the spark to our team, right.
Speaker 4: So we saw the Colts reactor to you and the joint practices. Wolf would have these rivalries, you guys have a lot in common. Okay, we'll play ten years and he got to know. Let's just say, you got to know the division opponents real well, and they didn't like Wolf. No, when you play the Rams, is there gonna be some I don't know, some background.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I don't like I don't like the Rams. I don't like the Seahawks. I don't like the forty nine ers. They can all get it, you know. So yeah, on Sunday, it's gonna be lights out.
Speaker 1: Okay. That is one of the one of the things too that I really I think you are uniquely built the way that you're belt. Right now, for anyone that's listening, give me your exact weight, your height, and your weight right right now.
Speaker 6: Height and weight right now. I am five eleven to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, five eleven, two hundred and twenty seven pounds, Paul, that's almost two thirty right there. Okay. Have you ever hit a man who's five eleven, two hundred and twenty seven pounds?
Speaker 4: I never played past high school. So no, here's here's.
Speaker 1: What I'm for. Anyone out there that you might find yourself on a football field and there's a guy who's five eleven, two hundred and twenty seven pounds, you better get underneath them. See, the problem is it's hard to get underneath the guy who's five eleven, two hundred and twenty seven pounds, especially when he's built like DJ where he's got a base, a huge base. It's hard to get in. It's one of the reasons why you can truck dudes. Correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that in the weight room.
Speaker 1: That in the waight room.
Speaker 5: How much do you squad this summer? I think we got up to like four seventy five.
Speaker 1: Okay, four seventy five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nothing too great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not You're not out there trying today. You're not trying to be a powerlifter. No, yeah, for seventy time you're This is what makes you special, no doubt. How much does that help you in blitz pick up?
Speaker 6: Uh? Yeah, the technique and you know you can you can get away with a lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: When you're you got the mentality of just like man, you're not gonna get behind me, and uh is me versus you mono imano. I'm gonna win regardless. I don't care if you're six seven or five seven.
Speaker 4: You know, so you're gonna bust.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: That's the great thing about the game of football as well, right, DJ, no doubt. It really doesn't matter how big you are. Some of the bigger guys are kind of soft. Bigger guys, right, have you ever met a guy like that? Bigger guys can actually be soft. Because you're big doesn't mean you're bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they passed the look tests and then they don't pass the heart check.
Speaker 1: You get all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little blood running down their nose yep, not air tucking air tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was my pregame speech as a little league manager was Okay, we play these teams. Looks like they had HGH and the gatorade bucket. These teams were huge, and I tell the kids bigger isn't better? Better is better?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, let's go play better ball.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And then we get run rolled by the third in seventeen to four. But still it was a good speech. It was really a good speed you speaking of Jonathan Gannon, you guys, you know we'll mentioned already. Is that part of what attracted you to Arizona?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What is it about him and his style? He just he has that infectious energy. Is it anything like Pete Carroll was in a way?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's a younger, super fine tune enthused version of what I had in Seattle. Cool and uh yeah, man, I love j G. Brow That's that's my guy.
Speaker 1: And you know what. JG loves the physicality. I was talking to you about this. He likes talking to you too. He encourages you, gets you fired up. And not only that, I saw him walking off the field a couple of times with you in Indianapolis. It was really cool.
Speaker 4: Sorry, No, we've heard the kickoff return in English right now we're gonna hear the play by play in Spanish. And what Louis Hernandez did with it. I think you're gonna like his little spin on him. It's the Big Red Rage with DJ Dallas presented by santan Port and Gilbert at Trophy and Chandler on Queen Creek Road. Just the surprise didn't dig So there's no what is.
Speaker 14: The fightess to aquanataa holo guess dija.
Speaker 1: Sand ye?
Speaker 4: All right, So Jim Alendro not only did he pull that Louis Hernandez Spanish radio. By the way, how about the Iron Man Award. Louis Hernandez called the entire game by himself. Yeah, because of a medical situation to his analyst. So I mean you talk about someone who put in a week one, Luis, I mean props to you. Anyway, The ending translates as, let the DJ spin the tunes for me. How about that?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, he was, he was on it. He was on it.
Speaker 4: DJ Dallas is our guest. We're wrapping up this edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Live at Trophy and Chandler on Queen Creek Road just east of Price. And look, you take a look at this Rams team, right and Wolf by the way, you see we got our keys to the game this year. We actually have the actual key with the key chain. Okay, so we gone next level? All right, Okay, that's what you did, right And by the way, it reminds me, I forgot my Angry Bird Award. I was gonna bring the Angry Bird Award and I stinking forgot it. And not that I can give it to you because I only have one, but you, I know you're the proud winner this week of the Angry Bird Award that we give out for the most talacious play or player each week of the season. And because of that kickoff return et cetera. So I know that's, you know, proud moment for you as I move it along. So you take a look at this Rams team and what stands out to you? Let me tell let me ask you this, Kyron Williams. I mean, this guy had a heck of a season last year, second team All Pro running back beyond Christian McCaffrey. How much have you watched his game? How much other running backs in the NFL? Do you watch their games? Do you study other running backs?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a good buddy of mine, and he's a great player. They've got a veteran quarterback with Matthew Stafford, who I grew up watching in Georgia.
Speaker 5: Sure as a bulldog. But yeah, man, they're a good team. They're a young team.
Speaker 6: You know, ninety nine is not on that team, so it's not gonna be the same team in my eyes, you know. So I think they're a good team. I think they're a good team. But I know that we're a good team.
Speaker 1: You know, you were talking a little bit about a great player, and Paul, you just mentioned some great players Kyrien Williams by way of example, what what makes a great player? In your opinion?
Speaker 5: I feel like all the greats.
Speaker 6: If you look at if you look at all the greats who we who we've given gold jackets to, and who who've had their their heads put in canton. Uh. I think all of those guys will tell you that a great player, what a great player is is a player that knows how to handle his business when the cards are kind of stacked against him. His body's not feeling the best, he's banged up, he doesn't feel good in a play, or or he's not you know, the focal point of the scheme. So I feel like that that's what it is like. The greats know how to how to be great when their chips are stacked against them.
Speaker 1: You have anything, you love?
Speaker 4: Anything you would tell Marvin Harrison Junior. You know this is your fifth year he's played, he's played one game, What would you tell him?
Speaker 5: Have fun? That's what I do. I try not to.
Speaker 6: I try to smile every game like it might be a it might be like a smile that don't really mean I'm happy.
Speaker 5: It might be a smile that mean I'm.
Speaker 6: Ready to ready to go do some real, real bad stuff to some people.
Speaker 1: But it's okay to do that. Between the white.
Speaker 5: No doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 4: But this smile means you're about to go gladiator.
Speaker 5: That's yes, yes, no doubt.
Speaker 6: But I would tell him, and I tell him every day, just continue to have fun because that's what it is.
Speaker 5: It's a game. It's a game.
Speaker 6: God put you on this earth and gave you the abilities that you have to go play this game and to have fun.
Speaker 4: Am I tell you it was Even Drew Petsen said he was a little surprised how much defensive attention they gave Marlin Herrison junior.
Speaker 6: Double my men first game, Like, dang, give him a break, yo, shoot, let him get his feet wet a little bit.
Speaker 1: So talk about some of the keys to the game as you see it in winning this game against the Rams coming up, What do you think you're gonna have to do? Well?
Speaker 6: We got to impose our will on special teams. Okay, impose our will on special teams because they've played as they played special teams. Real weird. But you know that's neither here nor there. Uh, run the ball.
Speaker 1: The ball, write that down. Okay, run the.
Speaker 5: Ball, pass the ball efficiently.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: And play good defense. That's it. Mardo's football. That's it. You've hit it all. We played Cardinals football.
Speaker 4: You mentioned how the Rams are young because of all the injuries. They played thirteen rookies in the season opener. Think about that. Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Here's Jonathan Gannon just his quick scatter report on the La Rams.
Speaker 15: They're a good football team. They play hard, they don't beat themselves. They're smart. You know, they got some weapons on offense, and their defense is you know, Chris Shule took over their sound. He put some wrinkles in, you know, because he just took over this year, and uh, they played good football.
Speaker 4: So last year I came up with the same Wolf doesn't like it. Okay, but it doesn't mean it isn't true. September is the new August, meaning so few teams play so few players in August. That's September. They're still figuring things out much like teams used to do in August. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could say that.
Speaker 4: I could say that some teams, some teams some week or two yea sort of get that idea.
Speaker 6: No doubt, And uh, I don't think that's true for us. I mean, I feel like our identity was set like shoot back in OTAs. I feel like, uh, you know, I was new, but I feel like our identity JG and the guys that are the leaders in the locker room kind of set that identity and that was on display on Sunday. But you know, some teams, you know, it takes them two weeks, three weeks, six weeks even because.
Speaker 5: You know, some teams start slow. And I don't. I don't think we're we've got that issue.
Speaker 1: There are still a lot of teams that they will play their starters in the season. There are still a lot of teams that to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: You know, when Pete Carroll was up there, I believe he did it as well, did he not a couple of times? A couple of times. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's you know, to get the to get the guys, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like you're getting thirty reps or anything out there in a game. But I guess what I'm saying is the league seems pretty split on that. Yeah, yeah, right, playing your starters are not playing your starters. So what do you think about that?
Speaker 5: I don't think it.
Speaker 6: I mean, the guys get so many reps in practice, like they get reps in practice that the same reps they get in the game. Maybe it's not the same exactly, look, but it's the same play.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. So, I mean, I'm with JG. We didn't have to play on our starters and that that was good.
Speaker 6: I mean, we got the rest of our guys and they're primed and ready to go for week two.
Speaker 4: No, I gotta get an update because we had you on the Big Red Rage in the offseason. You mentioned OTA's didn't you mention your brother was training to be an army ranger.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's he's going to He's actually put in his packet for he's changing now. He's he's going to put in his uh self packet, So special Forces packet.
Speaker 4: By the way, Wolf, you remember he did that USO tour with Trey McBride. Like the best part about that story was they challenge you guys to like a fitness test at the end. Wasn't that the deal?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: All these military guys wanted a piece of the NFL guys in this fitness test.
Speaker 1: How'd that go?
Speaker 6: And you know, so I set myself up for for failure. So so they were taking us around, like to the different bases and we were like building camaraderie with the.
Speaker 5: Guys and girls. This is yes, in Poland, in Poland.
Speaker 6: So we're going to different cities and like different bases and uh like every base like they they're taking us to the gym and like its soldiers in there working out, and I'm like, man, I'm about to show these soldiers how I'm you know, So I'm I'm binging, I'm I'm squatting at every base almost and man, we get to like the next day. This is like one day. Then we get to the next day and it's time to do like a PT test and they're like, yeah, you gotta do all of this stuff. And then at the end they're like, yeah, you gotta run two miles, like two miles. I'm built for speed, not distance. And man, I died.
Speaker 5: I felt like I was gonna die on that in Poland with the army.
Speaker 4: And you didn't like the parogis.
Speaker 5: No. See, that's one thing, just one thing. You ask me what's my favorite food? I know what's my my least favorite food?
Speaker 4: For get Wolf of Polish cabasa that's what that's what he enjoys.
Speaker 1: That's the sausage. DJ.
Speaker 4: We really enjoyed it outstanding, great stuff everyone special Thanks Jim, I'm one, Hundro, Cody Fincher, Wald Ellis, Matt Lazarus for Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic once again DJ Dallas. Everyone. The Big Red Rage presentedbody saying Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little big Red Rage football right here.
Speaker 2: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.