Speaker 1: Have you thought about the cost of men that opt out of leadership opportunities to society.
Speaker 2: I think we're seeing it. I think we see it in the degradation of family values. I think we see it in the degradation of our institutions when there is no leadership. This is what happens. America has a shortage of male leaders. Men are quietly checking out of leading in their communities, their own homes, and even their own lives. Is this the great destiny of my life? Is to just bring home paychecks and be sad? Is it in a cubicle all day and make money for somebody else? Is this my purpose? This is what God called me too? Is to look another man in the face and say, don't worry, man, there's more.
Speaker 1: This is Frank Schwartz. He's the CEO of F three, which stands for Fitness, Fellowship and Faith. Men at over five thousand locations across the world join free, pure led workouts at five point thirty am that are outdoors, no matter if it's freezing, blistering, raining, or snowing. You're the CEO of one hundred thousand man movement.
Speaker 2: Currently we ain't done the mission of F three is to plant, grow, and serve these small workout groups for men in order to invigorate male community leadership. One of the core principles of F three is that it's pure let right. It's all volunteers, and if you come out long enough, we'll say it's your turn. You got to lead. We want to teach men leadership because if they learn how to lead, then they can take that home to their families.
Speaker 1: By the end of this episode, you're going to walk away with a blueprint for real leadership. You'll have a deeper appreciation for where your leadership matters most. You'll also discover the F three movement and that just might change your life or the lives of men you care about who really need to hear this episode.
Speaker 2: F three ain't gonna change the world. That's not what we're for. We're here to change men who will change them life.
Speaker 1: This is army of normal folks where our mission is to make service easier for all of us and together change the country. All right, everybody, we have super exciting news coming at you. I mean, Alex is excited about it, but I'm not sure how excited I am. The podcast is now live on YouTube, which means now you get to see me in case you prefer watching it there, and we're switching up the audio format of the podcast. You can now either listen to the full version of the podcast on the same episode, meaning you no longer have to go to part one in part two to hear a whole episode we got going, or you can listen to a thirty minute version of the podcast that will be labeled as highlights and we get it. Many listeners who aren't as into long form podcast or struggle to find the time to listen to the whole thing each week have requested something like this, and.
Speaker 2: So Alex got off his button. We finally created it.
Speaker 1: We're really not perfect, nobody is, but we really do try to take in all of your feedback and advice. We hope to create a product that makes service easier for you and all of us. So check it out and keep it coming. You can email us anytime at Normalfolks dot org and we will respond.
Speaker 2: Now, let's go to the.
Speaker 1: Episode Frank Schwartz from Fort Mill, South Carolina, which is basically Charlotte. Yeah, basically Charlotte got it, CEO of F three Nation, which I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't know anything about until I learned about you, and just want to thank you for coming to Memphis.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, and don't feel bad. Some of the best people I know have never heard of us.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully, hopefully there's thousands more that we'll know of us. In about an hour from absolutely pretty cool place. We're in the mephis listening lab at the old Search Tower, Crosstown Concourse and Cool Venue, and we are recording with a live audience for you. Frank so Well knows a special thing. I'm famous, Bill, That's it. And so I want to thank everybody for joining us for what do we call this listen at lunch or something? Lunch and listen? Yeah, for lunch and listen. Sorry, Alex has all kinds of catchphrases. I'm not he's the marketing all of them. Yeah, so let's jump into it. You joined F three for one blunt reason. What was it?
Speaker 2: Huh to not be fat anymore? That was really the cruxut? How long ago?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: So that was twenty fourteen, So I guess I'm I'm finishing up your twelve of this deal.
Speaker 1: So what I mean, what did you look in the mirror? And I mean they have these things called planet fit they do. I mean, why very true? What was very true?
Speaker 2: So well, I went to the doctor, my doctor, it's been my doctor since we moved to Charlotte twenty something years ago. And she was like, look, you got high blood pressure, you got high cholesterol, you're overweight, you got sleep apnea. She's like, you're basically just a stroke waiting to happen. And I was like, well, that's thanks for that. I appreciate that. And uh and so it was like she said, basically like either you start actually exercising like I've been asking to you too for years, or you can beyond some medicines. That's so I don't want to do all that. So she says, well, then better start working now. So I started going to the gym like I did a YMC A thing right, And but I kept hearing about this F three thing, F three F three. And I knew a couple of guys who had been in And there's a guy that I that I worked with who had lost some weight and stuff and was looking pretty good and looked like he was feeling good about life. And so I said, uh, hey, man, what have you been doing and he's like, I've been doing this F three And I was like, what, why does everybody keep talking about F three? Like what is that? And so he explains it and told me kind of what they do for workouts and stuff. And I was like, well, I'm not doing that. Like it was terrible. I was that was the world is very hard, Like it is what it sounded like to me, you know. I was like, I'm more of like a jog on a treadmill for a mile and go and pretend I know what some of these machines do. And that's you know, that was it. So I uh so I decided just one Saturday, I was like, you know what, I'll just show up, like let just see, right, how bad can it be? It's November. Bad choice. It was probably one of the colder days of that year. And I went out there and and Bill, I had never really exercised in earnest, you know, since like high school, you know, and and so I mean it it was horrible. It's an hour long. And one of the core principles of F three is that it's pure lead, right, it's all volunteers, and if you come out long enough, we'll say hey, it's your turn. You got to lead, right. You don't get away with just showing up. Everybody has to participate, and not just in the workout, but also in the leadership of the workouts. So the way they did it on Saturdays then used to be they would do two halves. It's an hour long, and they would do you know, one guy would lead thirty, another guy would lead thirty. But I didn't know that. I mean, I just had shut up out of nowhere, and we they start running us around. It's all this horrible stuff. And then it's about thirty minutes in and this guy goes all right, man, bring it in. Everybody kind of comes to, you know, gathers around him, and I was like, oh, thank goodness, that is over. That was horrible. I think that's the worst thing I've ever done in my life. And he was like, all right for the second half, I'm gonna head it off to this guy. And I was like, how is there a second half? Like we're all gonna die, there's no way, right, And and then we did the second half and it was horrible, but you know, you survive. But the thing was so that you know, you can get a workout a lot of places, right, And it's a little bit of a misnomer to call us a fitness group. We use fitness, right, that is, that is kind of the trojan horse, if you will, to get a man to come out, right. But really it's about and not ironically an army of normal folks, right, But it's about community. It's about bringing men together. So F three stands for fitness, fellowship and faith. All right.
Speaker 1: So I went down a rabbit hole. I had on my underwear in one sock, and it was late last night, and got on my individual leases out of town. So I disturbed, absolutely, nobody noted. And I watched a couple of videos and what I saw is a bunch of people about my age, jumping curbs, lifting cinder blocks, uh, doing some other stuff that looked like Jane Fondo workout from the eighties.
Speaker 2: That must have been Memphis. No, it was not.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that because they're all here and and like getting a serious workout in, but just like using what was in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just started giggling, you know. It was not what I expected to see. No, So when you showed up and you joined F three for that one blunt reason, Yeah, was that what you found in the workout was that kind of atmosphere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much. Yeah, a lot of joking lots, ben are you kidding? Oh yeah, that's why I was like, how, what's even happening to me? Right now? Right? It was a lot of it. Now, at that one, we didn't have a lot of cinder blocks and that kind of foolishness. But it's not uncommon to you know, you'll be running and they'll be like, oh, a rock pile and everybody stops, and then you work out with the rocks or you know whatever whatever fallen trees. All right, pick up a log and carry that around. Right. It's it's this peer lead thing.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it's like, Okay, if I'm leading this week, what kind of stupid can I come up with?
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna make my group day? Uh? Fellas, would you agree? Yeah, that's that's about That's about it. Yeah, that's that's about it. That actually makes it fun. Yeah, it's fantastic. It's all right.
Speaker 1: So I kind of get that. But you have said that F three is a men's fitness group, but it's really a clever disguise, it is. It is Frank, Yeah, what are you hiding?
Speaker 2: We're cult No, I'm just no, it's uh. The mission of F three is to is to plant, grow, and serve these small workout groups for men in order to invigorate male community leadership. We want to wake men back up. There's a lot and this is it was very true in Charlotte. It may be true in Memphis, and I know it's true in a lot of cities and towns throughout America. But men of our age, right, poor similar as you mentioned right, that kind of late thirties ish to mid early fifties ish, right.
Speaker 1: You mean the dad bought the exactly well, not me, but some of that I don't know your s felt.
Speaker 2: I'll show you a picture later. You know, I'm a fat kid waiting to happen. But it's but no. But you know, they they maybe they got a couple of kids now right, this early stage of career in life, and uh probably they probably just had their second kid or something. They had something, just had to buy a bigger car, right again, maybe a bigger house. Get out of the three bedroom into a four or five, right, God forbid, drive a minivan. There it is, we say, all the time. We're an army of minivan centurions. Oh boy, that's that's what we are. Right, So you got it. You get in this lifestyle and pretty So what you find is after a few years of that, these guys who thought they were achieving, much like you, sitting in their underwear, one sock in their hand, on the end of their bed, and they go, was this It is this all I'm for? Is this? The great destiny of my life is to just bring home paychecks and be sad and shuffle mindlessly and listlessly in and out of these giant high rises in Charlotte, sit in a cubicle all day and make money for somebody else or whateverybody else? You know, like, is this my purpose? And you look in their eyes and you can see it the hurt I was telling guys just this morning, like I can't not do this. This is what God called me too. Right, is to look another man in the face and say, don't worry, man, there's more, there's more, And we get that. That's really what we are. It's a leadership group, and we want to teach men leadership because if they learn how to lead, then they can take that home to their families. Right, they can take that out in their communities. They can go places and teach others to know what they know, right, to teach them how to be functional. I mean, that's why the fitness is all functional. Everything about what we do is functional, you know. So it's speaking to those men in those situations. Certainly at first, that's what it was designed for, right, was those men in that kind of middlelife crisis issue.
Speaker 1: You said that you believe that F three often finds men in the early stages of their midlife crisis.
Speaker 2: We hope.
Speaker 1: So do you think a dad bod is one of the first steps to a mid life crisis?
Speaker 2: You know that? And I'm being metaphorical of course. Yeah, But an emotional dadbod, if you will, an emotional dadbod, Now that's interesting. Yeah, I would say all the men, we call them sad clowns. There's a room full of sad clowns. Yeah, right, So that's a Sopranos if you watch that, but he says, you know, Tony says, Hey, I'm like a like a sad clown. I'm happy on the outside, but I'm sad on the inside. And that's essentially what it is. Yeah, it's that emotional dabt bog.
Speaker 1: Why do you think so many men, especially middle aged men, have never with purpose? And when I say lad, I don't be mean. Managing a business gave.
Speaker 2: True community and that's part of what I love about F three and really about what you guys are doing too, is that it's volunteers. Right. If you got hired, as it were, to be in the position you're in, and that's your leadership, then you really are a manager. Right. Somebody's paying you. You're paying the people beneath you, and that means you have the leverage and the power of them to say, like, well, if you don't do what I say, I'm gonna pay you anymore. Right. So that's managing, which isn't bad. It's a form of leadership, right. But leadership in its most pure fashion, I think, is a man or a woman with vision who can articulate that vision and then persuade others to come with them. Right.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about the cost of men that opt out of leadership opportunities to society. I think we're seeing it.
Speaker 2: I mean in terms of dollars and cents, incalculable. I think incalculable. But I think we're seeing it. I think we see it in the degradation of family values. I think we see it in the degradation of our institutions. I mean, it's as obvious. I mean we're seeing the cost. We're seeing the cost. This is what is the problem is when there is no leadership. This is what happens.
Speaker 1: Alex, being a producer has done his due diligence for me over the last three years, prepping me good. And he's also a data minor, and I can't go we don't have time to go into the depth of it.
Speaker 2: But basically.
Speaker 1: He found that Pew Research did a cool study that said that about a forty percent approval rating of the White House and historically over the last eight presidential elections after two years, regardless of its Democrat or Republican, that's about the number, So it's really not about the politics. Same number for Congress, a little bit lower number for Senate. For the first time in our history, there's less than a fifty percent approval rating of the Supreme Court, it's supposed to be a non partisan body. Even more surprisingly, for the first time in our history, there's less than a fifty percent approval rating of CEOs of our fortune five hundred companies.
Speaker 2: Interesting, so we don't approve.
Speaker 1: And at the same time, the same Pew research found that everybody knows that if they're watching Fox or CNN, ninety four percent of respondents said they realized, depending on whose news they're watching, that it's going to be slanted toward one viewpoint or another, and when reading social media that at the very least it's slanted all the way to pot patently false when getting your news from that. So we don't approve. We know we're being fed. Yet the exact same respondents said they spend and average are two point two hours a day either listening to Fox and then or on social media.
Speaker 2: I know that this poison is terrible for me.
Speaker 4: But let me have more of it, like a bunch of sheep. Look, man, we continue to follow narratives that we know are and then we wonder why we feel bad about ourselves and we opt out of service and leadership because we think the world's broken because we're feeding ourselves with.
Speaker 2: Yeah one hundred percent, troo yeah f three. It seems to me breaks that down. We like to think, so, yeah, we like to think because here's the thing and to your point, I think it's really encapsulated well in our second core principle, which is that it is open to all men. All We make no qualification, no kind of I mean there's no fee. There's no I mean Number number one corporates both it's free, right, it's always free, no matter what period. And the second is open all man and so there is no barrier to entry. We don't care who you are, what you look like, who you worship, no, who you love, don't care how you vote, don't care. And now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first, earlier this year something we're really proud of, Army members launched six A and F local service clubs around the country. Their design is to make service easier for your fellow community members by really having zero requirements of the club's members. All you got to do is just sign up and join our service activities whenever you can, when it works for you, and welcome kids to join us for everything, and they cultivate an in person family like tribe for lack of a better term, that make service even more rewarding. We are now really.
Speaker 1: Because of the success of these first six, looking at launching more local service clubs, and if you'd be interested in either leading or serving on the leadership team of a new one in your community, email Alex at Alex at Normalfolks dot org and he'd love to connect with you about this cool opportunity.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. I was telling guys this morning, there's a it needs to start to crop up all over the place. But one of the original workout spots early on in Charlotte is at a local treatment facility, right, libbing, you know, I think it's you know at the one hundred and eighty days now that they give for free. It's a Charlotte Rescue mission. And a guy named John Lambert, who is my predecessor, was started that and he says, you know these guys and he was an addict, right, so he knew. He also runs a multipajillion dollar construction company now, right, and so he was like, these are men that he had a heart for. So he goes and he starts to work out there, and originally didn't even want us there. They're like, everybody fails these guys. Everybody fails these guys. We don't need one more, you know, great hope to come and pretend like they care and then wash out after a few weeks. And then these guys once again look at their lives and go, well, I got nothing right.
Speaker 1: Many of our longtime listeners will understand the phrase turkey person. I'll explain it to you later.
Speaker 2: When I got it perfect, I have a feeling, maybe a check writers like kind of the same. Yeah, show up on Thanksgiving Giving and never shows and I never show up again. And so they said, we were not really thrilled with this idea, but we'll give you a shot. Well, it's been now out. Remember ten twelve years or something. We've been doing this every single Saturday. And at that location, you have men who are in the day depth of chronic addiction and homelessness. Right. Sometimes they've been in and out of this facility a couple of times, working out next to men literally who are billionaires and really outside of I mean, if you know, if you're a stute, right, you can pick it up. But really they're all wearing the same T shirt. Nobody asks, nobody cares, right. I only know because I know the guys, right, if you know him, you know him maybe, But but they don't look at it and go, this guy's less or oh he's a project or whatever. We really have a true deep ethos of every man is every man. God created every man to be a leader. He created every man to be successful. He created every man to have purpose in his life, whatever that purpose is. Some purposes are bigger than others. Right, You reach thousands and thousands of people, right, other guys that may not be their deal, that might not be where they're called to impact. We believe that every single man on this planet has been called to impact and sour. Our intent is to go and to find them and to unlock them, to give them leadership, skills and purpose, and to set them free, all while lifting center blocks. It's the weird jumping crbs bill. If knitting was the thing that brought men together into community and unlock their hearts and minds, we would knit with a fervor unknown to man. That's what we would do. It just so happens at the workout. It's a pretty good way to get guys in so F three isn't therapy. It's not not therapy.
Speaker 1: It's not therapy, but it's not not therapy because you're not therapists.
Speaker 2: Nope. But it feels like it's where men.
Speaker 1: Break themselves down a little physically to get stronger, but they also break themselves down emotionally and become vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Then is that? Yeah? Yeah? The fifth core principle of three is that it ends in what we call a circle of trust.
Speaker 1: Isn't that from Meet the Fockers?
Speaker 2: I'm watching you fokker? Right? Yeah? Exactly. I probably That's another thing I should say, just kind of a caveat is every good thing we have we stole from somewhere. Okay, good so, and we make no apologies about it. We don't care. Right, if it was good and it worked, we kept doing it. If it was trademarked, sorry, yeah, fight us. I don't know, right, we're not making any money over here, so exactly right, exactly November fourteenth, twenty fourteen, that was day one for me and we finished this workout. Now again, like I mentioned before, I thought I was going to die, and I'm out there my you know, very sexy, all gray, you know, rocky sweats, looking like a weirdo. I mean, guys are like, what are you wearing? I'm like, I don't work out in the cold. I don't know what I'm doing, you know. But that was the thing, this circle of trust, this this place where where men can can finally there's a place where men can share. There's a place where men can be. And it was there was something magical about it to me. We we got to the end, and what they do, you know, we do the idiot nickname thing and all this kind of stuff that's part of the kind of the tribal It was them of it all right, I mean you got them you know, money and about that in a minute, because it's fantastic. But we do all that, and then the then the final thing you do is you come in close, after the hour workout, after the hour workout, after all the announcements and all the naming and all that kind of stuff, you come in close and you lay your hand on a brother. And depending on where you are in the world, it takes different forms, right, or depending on who the guy is that led that day, it takes different forms. If the guy was a Muslim, he may offer a Muslim prayer, right I you know that that may be his jam uh. And obviously where we are in the South, it's predominantly Christians, so you might have a Christian prayer. The guys that are up kind of in the in the pack northwest, right, that there's not a lot of religious fervor or belief, and so it might be it might sound more like an inspira shout out or something like that, right, But there's always something that you bring there. And the way I said it this morning, that I've said it a lot is you come to either share your burden or your joy, and a burden shared is half a burden, and a joy shared is twice a joy. And so we've created a space unintentionally, mind you, at first right now, very intentionally, but the first kind of accidentally stumbled on it. But we've created a place in a world where these kinds of places have been hollowed out, where men can come together and lay a hand on a brother and feel good about the fact that you know what I just shared with this dude, that my daughter's going through something horrible. Right, and then that within the next port before I make it back to my car, he's going to come over to me and be like, hey man, I had some similar in my life. When we get coffee, why don't we talk about that.
Speaker 1: For all of our listeners. I watched this video and when you say laying hands. I don't want people to envision an alter call at church where people are laying hands on them.
Speaker 2: More like a football huddle. It is. It's very good point. Yes, it's a we call it a ball of man, like you just get all all ball of man, just make a big ball of men and just get sweaty and and it is very much like a football circle where you're you know, you're all facing each other and there's just that there's that a little bit of uh at the risk of sounding some kind of way in front of my buddies, right, but a little bit of tenderness, you know, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of God forbid, right, God forbid a men show a man showed tenderness. Feel confident enough, Yeah, to allow us tenderness to show confident and safe enough and.
Speaker 2: Safe as a weird word in our world too, because you know, all safe spaces, and some guys get really twisted about that kind of thing. But look, the fact is the fact, right, I'm not gonna I'm not going to become vulnerable in a place where I fear I will be attacked.
Speaker 1: Or maybe laughed up. Fair, I'm fifty seven and sixty.
Speaker 2: Let's say thanks and I.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, my generation, or at least how I grew up, was we didn't have a lot of catchphrases for stuff. We just said what we thought, rolled with it, and there's good ambat to that. Sure, in today's world, there seems to be a catchphrase or a title for everything. So when I think about masculinity, as I'm thinking about F three, the two are basically synonymous. Bill, So it makes sense, I understand. But see, here's the point. Because of that tongue in cheek comment. I think about the terms Matt, toxic masculinity, row culture, masculinity, soft masculinity. What is an F three masculine? Uh, real masculinity, true masculinity.
Speaker 2: Tell me what that? We would say virtuous masculinity. That's that's the way they rephrase it masculinity to us. Uh, most of the things you describe there, like the bro culture, you know, these red pill guys you know or whatever, and the Andrew tats and the you know, these kinds of guys that are out there. I don't believe that that's masculinity. I don't think there's such a thing as toxic masculinity. I think that's masculinism, right, much like feminism or other isms. Essentially, what you've done is you've taken this thing that really is beautiful and holy and good and you've turned that into your God. You've turned that into the thing that you worship. So these guys that spend a lot of time in the gym, well, sure they do that because they worship their bodies. They think they're very handsome and very strong, and some of them are right, and they're there to do that because that is who they believe that they are, their identity, that's that's right. We don't we don't believe in that. We don't believe in that. We think your identity comes from something bigger than yourself. And most of these people who protect or practicing what I would call masculinism are those who believe in themselves and only themselves. You hear a lot of oh self care, and you know this kind of stuff, and you know these guys, when you listen to what they're talking about, it's it's very very damaging stuff, very very damaging stuff. So a virtuous man, or a man who practices virtuous masculinity, which I think is true masculinity, is a man who I think practices courageous love, you know, full and complete self abandon in the service of his fellow being. That's really what we're for. The reason we get strong out there, lifting you know, rocks and trees and whatever else. The jumping over, you know, pick the tables or whatever, you know, whatever idiot stuff we're doing, is because Bill, heaven forbid. Now, I'm not that much younger than you are. I know you might think I am, but I'm not. You like, I'm so so bad, it's so bad.
Speaker 1: No, honestly, I guess we're the same age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty close, right, Yeah, yeah, I see, it's good. Yeah, I don't look bad for ninety eight, right, yeah, yeah. I can tell you with clarity if you were in a dangerous situation. Right, Let's say, you know, the car crashes and it catches fire and you're unconscious. Right, I know, I know because I've done it. We did it this morning. I can hoist you on my back and run flat out for one hundred yards and you'll be fine. And that's who I am, you know. I tell you a story about that, actually, not about carrying somebody, but but this idea of kind of the the masculinity we're going for So I have this bad tendency to to sort of stop for folks on the side of the road. My wife says is dangerous, and I go, you gotta go somehow, right, But if I see somebody in distress, I just that's part of who I can't really help myself. And this is a few years ago now, but I stopped one time and it was just a you know, car stop flashes on. I can see people in the car, so I pull over and and I'm gonna, you know, get out to help or whatever. Now I'm not a big guy. I'm not like a menacing presence or something. I'm not a you know, big fellow. And I didn't play you know, college sports or anything. But I'm not you know, It's just a random dude like getting out of his truck, you know, walking back toward your car. You know, you might might be a little weird it out right, Well, it's the beauty of it is. It's this. It's a clearly several generations of family in here. Right. The lady driving the car will look like probably her mom and probably her daughter in the backseat. I start walking back toward this car, and she hops out and runs up and She's like, oh, thank goodness. And I was like, oh yeah, you guys okay, and she says, well, we've had people pull over and I just kind of waved him on. She says, but this is truth. I saw your F three sticker and I knew that I would be safe and I knew that you would help. Wow. Now part of that's the blessing of being in the Charlotte area. So a lot of people know what F three is. But in my mind, Bill, that's masculine. That's a great story. The be able to fix their car or you just end up having to give them a ride.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, yeah, I know now real maskill and you would be like, oh yeah, And I fixed the car and I changed the timely No. I walk into the car and I'm like, car broke. I don't know, you know, like, I have no idea car broke. I have trump Yeah, exactly. So I gave it a rye or whatever. Right, So we got him home and got people called it. Yeah, but that was the point. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: You talked about the location that had billionaires and formally incarcerated folks working out together. That was kind of the the the passion project of your founder.
Speaker 2: Uh, not the founder, but yeah, another guy. But yeah, another guy. That's the beauty of it too, Right, the founder didn't think of that? Does somebody in the crowd have an idea.
Speaker 1: With that perspective? Is background? Talk about some specific friendships that you know that are from two similar worlds that now lead and serve and are friendship friends with one another specifically because of F three. Man, that's a I'll be honest, that's a long list.
Speaker 2: Give me one. That's a long list.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'll tell you what. Yeah, give me one of yours. Okay, I'll do that. That's probably easier. Even so, one of the things we believe in F three is in shared leadership. Right, no, no one man can run anything. It kind of helps avoid a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't get this kind of cult of personality like I can't choose to do anything without you know, kind of this group of men that I've selected to come with me, right, we share leadership. Well, now, early on I didn't do it this way necessarily because you know, first thing you do is pick some of your buddies, like minded guys, and you think it's fantastic. You know this will be great. We'll hang out with our buddies, will make decisions about things. And I've learned over time that that is a very ineffective way to lead a very large volunteer group. So there's a guy named scratch and wines. I presume he has a real name, scra Win. First of all, I get that that's like a lotto car. But I can't help but think of a dude, you know, scratching and scratch it win. It feels good. I win, Yeah, exactly. I can't wait to share that with him. But John Horton, and he actually is now are He's our only employee, right, he's our fundraising guy. He's the only one who actually works for as everybody else volunteers. But anyway, he's a guy who has very uh different political leanings from me, let's say. And that's one of the things that we love to fight with most in this country, right, fight with those kind of people, people that are opposite of us. But I specifically ask him to come and serve with us and be a part of the team because I know how different he is. Now I probably shouldn't even share this, I'm sure this first time. Some guys will ever heard it. But we were on a retreat as a leadership team, and John and I don't want to say we almost came to blows, but it was it was warm. We'll just say that it was warm disagreeing over something. Right. Now, that's a guy that normally you would be like, forget that guy. I'm done, it's over. He's dead to me. Throw him off the team, and we move on, right and get done. We need to get done. Well, some good advice from guys on that team, you know, come to me and say, wow, you know he doesn't believe in God. I have a very strong faith in get right. He doesn't believe in in a lot of the social things that I do, or and vice versa. Right, there is nothing about us that is I mean, outside of the fact that we're both men, and I mean his ages, he's fair amount younger than me and whatever. But we should match on paper, and we shouldn't, especially after fighting with one another and disagreeing so vehemently about certain things. There's no way that we should be getting along. And yet just before I came here, even you know, he's calling me, going, hey man, anything else you need for the trip? What else can I do for you? And you know you're going to be gone, your wife need anything, blah blah blah, blah blah, all this kind of stuff, right, And he is one of my dearest friends. I disagree with him so strongly about so many things. You know that he still doesn't believes, you know whatever, And so we we don't fight yell anymore. But but those kinds of stories, I mean, there's guys who you know, on paper, it would like, why would you ever talk to this dude? But some of the greatest friends I have are there's up in the in the Northeast. There's guys who I've worship very differently, non Christians, very differently, you know, different colors, different all this kind of I mean. And when you when you remove all of the stuff that the world tells you you're supposed to pay attention to to make you part of the same group, if you remove all that, and you can get a man who believes in his heart what the mission is, what he has is a mission as a man. We can disagree about whatever you like, you know. And so you know, I call this guy now because sometimes when I'm upset about something else and I'll be like, Hey, I need a different perspective from my own, because my perspective is just making me mad, you know, So I need somebody to tell me to get my head out of my rear end so I can come back around and be a normal person again. Like that's the kind of thing that happens, and.
Speaker 1: That only happens with fellowship and trust.
Speaker 2: It happens with fellowship and trust and the way that we build fellowship and trust. A lot of times, this is part of why the workout is so useful. Is Bill, you seem like a reasonably trustworthy guy. I have no reason. I mean, I watched you on the film and all this kind of stuff. Seemed like a good dude, like a guy I would really love to be around, Like I must, let I'd get that sense, right, right, But I don't know, you're not battle tested fair enough? Right? So I think you are because I've watched you know, I've seen enough evidence, right. But I mean, but another guy who hasn't been out there in what we call the gloom, which is that early morning hour before the world is awake, right, another guy who hasn't been out there and sweated with you, there's just a different kind of a thing, and you build that trust in community, and I can tell you dozens hundreds of stories of men who it's like, hey, fellas, in fact, come in here. Somebody was like, you know you're you're headed to Memphis, and no, no, hold on, I know you're laughing because you think what you know? You know what I'm about to say, your head to Memphis. I got a buddy whose brother is really struggling right now. You wouldn't be able to maybe get in get him in touch with those Memphis have three guys and pull him out to a workout. That's cool. And that happens a dozen times a week or more constantly guys calling me or calling around and going, hey, I mean another quick story. I'll try and be quick. I'm in the middle of Saint Louis at a different, totally different thing. Right. I go to the airport and idiot, right, I see a woman sitting on a bench at the rental car place crying, and I'm like, I should just not get involved here, like why I was wrong with me? Memory? Okay? And she starts telling me the story about all the different things that have gone wrong on this trip. Is she's trying to visit her son who is ill, and she cannot get to him. She's from New York and she's tried desperately. Everything has gone wrong for her. And I'm like, well, what are you here for right now? At this moment? I need a rental car, but they won't take my debit card because I only take credit card, by blah, all this kind of stuff. Don't have a credit card, Okay, so what is it you need? I need to ride from here to next place where her son is, and then we can figure it out from there. And I said, hold on a second, and you just called the local Saint Louis guy and he goes, yeah, I know where that is. I'll be right over.
Speaker 1: That's community, right, That's what we're building under the guise of leadership. I think the greatest leaders of our time served. If you think of Gandhi and Mandela and Lincoln and King and the list goes on and on. When you think of them, you think of them as some of our world's greatest leaders ever. But if you look at their actions in order to leave, they served. And that's exactly what you're talking about. It's just serviced.
Speaker 2: I would say, yes, service but not in the but but what in a way that is counter cultural to what you were talking about before the Turkey people, Right, that makes sense. Service, right, this is real service. This is actual abandoning yourself in order to serve and care for your man.
Speaker 1: Look, man, I played five sports in high school. I'm a football coach. If hanging out with dudes, my two sons, and my father in law. The four of us take a guy's trip every year somewhere.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Three generations. We have a blast. And when you're around dudes, there's a thing called dude humor.
Speaker 2: We don't do that here. And one of the most.
Speaker 1: Endearing things as I found out about you guys is you guys embraced some serious dude.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love it. It's like there's a guy right.
Speaker 1: Now who's a buddy of mine who had all kinds of teeth problems, and so he had all his teeth pulled and he's he's getting dentures. Well, the three days after he had his teeth pulled, before he got his dentures, you know that I had called up one of those delivery places and sent them.
Speaker 2: Some soup pro lunch.
Speaker 1: Very decent of you, I wasn't worried about it.
Speaker 2: He was hungry.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was funny that he could only eat suit. Yes, then he got his dentures and they were a little extended out front and too long, and he looked just like the Donkey and Shrek, and so I sent him a Shrek daw perfect. Yeah. Yeah, and he's gonna check me just as hard about being fat and ugly and formally redheaded and whatever. Okay, So you know I love dude humor. I love dude humor in the locker room. I just love dude humor. And I don't expect a lot. In fact, some of the things that me and my buddies or my sons think it's hilarious. Lisa looks at me like we're just the biggest oh yeah, jack idiot neanderthals on the face of the planet. But I don't care because she's not a dude, and she's not supposed to get it.
Speaker 2: You mean, welcome here.
Speaker 1: It's actually best humor. If she doesn't get it, yeah, if she appreciated it, then.
Speaker 2: I'm with it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you call half squat while holding your ankles, monkey humpers, you call push ups merkins, You call Pike push ups, Carolina dry dogs. I could go down the list. Here's one spider Man mountain clambers, or Peter Parker's that's great, progressive set up, flutterkick combo as a captain thor white arm push ups are workings. We actually call those Larry Craigs. Now, okay, remember that's theory. I mean the list goes on and on, and then some of the true legendary names, or flying squirrels, pickle pounders, squirrel splats, primate humper o rama, Yeah, that gets sometimes. The primate humper oramas is what you get arrested for the Zoo Exact tour to humpers, blockies, crawlbears, copperhead squats, and batan death March.
Speaker 2: And your name is Dark Helmet Dark.
Speaker 1: That is the stupidest stuff I've ever read in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you what gifts. You know, it's funny because just just before I get we I got on the plane to come here. My wife last night was scrolling through Facebook. I don't know how these things ended up in her feet and she sees some guys from I don't know where, and it's fourth of July and they've got their You know, their American flag Ranger panties on it, and they're doing all kinds of crazy poses and stuff, and all I heard like no context for this, right, she just goes your friends are idiots, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm sorry, I absolutely love it. Right, So a couple couple things with that one.
Speaker 2: I mean, we could come up with something that's a little more descriptive so you knew what it was, right, But monkey humper is objectively funny. It's just absolutely it's a funny thing to say. And so you know, with all of this growing up that we have to do so we can, you know, accumulate more and more crap there. You know that doesn't mean anything. I figured this was a I was hoping you would say this good. It felt like being childlike is helpful. Yeah, one hundred percent. There's not a lot of places in the world after eight am, I should say, right where, maybe even after seven right where it's acceptable for me to say things like monkey humper. Right, I'm not sure it's appropriate right now, but you're a show. I love it. It's a fair enough, a right good all right. But but for a guy who has felt caged, you know where his heart has been locked up for whatever reason. Maybe maybe he grew up in a tough world. Look, maybe he has to make a living and his boss sucks. Could be any of this, It could be all of those things. Right when I say a tougher on walk and say like you grew up without a dat, right, sometimes we used to say we wish we grew up without a dad. Right. I mean it's a thing, right, We all come with it somewhere, and it keeps us locked up, it keeps us protected, And this is a place for man. We don't care what you do, we don't care how you act, we don't care who you are. Just come be, Just come be, brother, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And everybody gets a nickname, absolutely, Oh boy at the workout, don't get you're not getting one before you leave here.
Speaker 2: Bill, I got it. If I'd have showed up at five thirty, if you had to show up at five thirty, you'd have gotten one.
Speaker 1: What is going down range? And why is that so special to f three guys?
Speaker 2: So downrange is a lot of what it sounds like. Right, It's going someplace that wasn't your house, right or your home area. And so we go down range like I'm downrange right now right, I'm in Memphis. What's special about that for me is, I mean, look what I get to do, you know. And so when a guy I meant buddy guy goes down range because they do this right, But but I get to hang out with some of the best men that the world has ever had to offer. And I get to hang out and I get to talk to him, and how.
Speaker 1: Range feels like it's it's how you say to your F three guys outreach.
Speaker 2: M that's interesting. Uh, I would say that's not the way that we intended it, but I'm going to steal it now good right, because when we say down range, it really means that you posted it a workout someplace that wasn't yours right somewhere away. I got it, I see. And the special thing about that is is there's a workout.
Speaker 1: So like F three guy that happens to be in Birmingham or Charlotte or pick up place and they just go hang out with those F three guys when they're in.
Speaker 2: Say idiot things. And that's part of why it's so cool, because they.
Speaker 1: Show up and say, my name is a squirrel jumper.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. Yeah, my name is squirrel jumper, and if and uh he knows exactly what a monkey humper is too, right, right, yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: You're the CEO of one hundred thousand Yes, that's right. Listen to this F three one hundred thousand man movement. Currently we ain't done and you're paid nothing, correct, and you have to pay your bills.
Speaker 2: So you have a full time job.
Speaker 1: I know what it's like to have a full time job and then run a football team in the hours they're posting it. I imagine your world is seventy or more hours a week if you're running this organization and having to provide to put food on the table.
Speaker 2: Hey that and serve my church and all that. Are you nuts? Oh yeah, oh yeah. Interesting. It's a lot, isn't it. It is a lot, But you know something, But I feel like I have figured out a way where most of the things that I do and spend time on are part of my calling. They're part of my mission, They're part of my personal purpose on this planet. And I I tell people at work, even you know, my my job job, They're like, man, you have the best freaking job in this company. Because I do like culture and engagement for this whole software company, right, I'm like, yeah, that's just it's because I can't not do this. You know. This is what I was born for, this is what I was made to do, you know. And I'm also a very optimistic guy. I just really, I know it's hard. You don't really check that from me, But like everything that comes in in my life, I feel like is manna from heaven. I feel like it fell there and all I get to do is just every day I get to go pick it up. It's crazy you you watched Undefeated recently, so I guess you know that My father left when I was young. My mom was married and divorced five times. None of them stuck around, by the way. My dad was married in di worse three times. And if you're on your third, it's your fault, Okay, it's.
Speaker 1: And that was my question, is your first example masculinity was your dad? So I don't mind asking this question because my business is on the street, so let's put yours there too.
Speaker 2: How about it? Sure?
Speaker 1: How did that relationship shape the kind of community you want to cultivate for them?
Speaker 2: M I think it. Yeah, it's a good question. I think that it largely defined my purpose. When I talk to guys about finding purpose in their life, I say a lot of times, there's patterns that you can find, right, it's all p words, right, there's patterns you can find. There's things you're pissed off about. Right, there's people you're supposed to serve. But one of the big ones is pain. It is useful pain. And so for me, my dad was around, and when I was younger, he was It's funny, he was a happy drunk. So when he was drunk, it was actually better. But then we're our faith indicates that you don't drink, right, So when he was stop drinking, he was horrible. We'd always be like, maybe you should just leave the church, Like you should just go drink, you're much nicer, or become a Presbyterian. There you go, right, it would have been much better a Presbyterian. Everything's okay, I'm out there, you go right, Yeah, but yeah, you know, so grew up in a in a house where you know, literally they would say he'd say things like, you know, you're lucky you don't work for me. I'd fire you, you know, Like what kind of thing is that to say to your kid. I mean it's bananas, right, Nothing you did ever was good enough, not one chance. My dad's what I used to call a thousand dollars man, Like, what's that. Well, it's a guy who you hand a thousand dollars to and he goes, you only had twenties.
Speaker 1: It's the people that I say you could, you could make it rain golden eggs, and they about the litter exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, that that is quintessential Doc Schwartz, Right, I got it. And and so growing up in that environment, I think, you know, it's like anything, man, you can go one two ways. Right. I could believe it all. I could take it all, man, I did for a lot of years, right, and then eventually you just kind of go I don't. I don't think this is how I want to be. I don't think that's how I want to do this. So when I look at my life, I don't want F three to become a projection of my you know, weird childhood garbage, right, I don't want that. But I do believe every man has weird childhood garbage. Right, So I wanted to become a place where it doesn't matter. That's part of the idiot nickname thing too, right, You name a guy with you know, big ears, Dumbo, right, because we want him to understand, like none of that matters, man, Like, that's all just stupid stuff, all that stuff that happened when you were a kid, and stuff you got picked on or wherever your dad did or didn't leave your life or whatever. None of that matters. You're the master of your own destiny here, Like, you get to pick up from here and decide what you're going to be and how you're going to be. And that's what I want to create. That's what I believe in. I believe in a world where literally I've been called delusional. I'm okay with it. We're literally every man in every culture, in every corner of the world knows what he's there for, knows why he exists, and knows how he, by virtue of that, knows how to serve his fellow man in his community.
Speaker 1: You you led or were with I don't know if you led or just with them, the F three Men of Memphis Today.
Speaker 2: I'm ashamed that I did not know that there was an F three Memphis.
Speaker 1: I'm all ashamed for you. Yeah, no, it was at Shelby Farms, which is a cold place.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: It's actually I think the somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the largest city park in the United States.
Speaker 2: Second largest is all right, second Central parkment. It's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's massive, and it's it's really had a lot of development over the last ten years. It's pretty nice. So you went out there first, how many were there? Eighty eighty four? Eighty four guys. Eighty four guys, eighty four guys. How'd they treat you, helmet dark person, whatever your name is.
Speaker 2: With with the appropriate amount of poorness?
Speaker 1: So today, yeah, before this, yeah, you met eighty three f three Memphis men and got it an hour workout, and then y'all huddled up and said some stuff.
Speaker 2: Our boy, I get it. Sorry, I'm gonna say, I was gonna cut I know it, she said, I was gonna say. But I was debating because I renamed him this morning because when I met him, his shirt wasn't on, and so I said, I said, man, I didn't I didn't know it was nipple day here, and so I started calling hi big nips the whole workout. He doesn't even really have pretty early large anything. But anyway, so cheesehead. Uh, he started his vehicle, ran it for forty five minutes, a brewed coffee on his tailgate. That's how we roll, right, So we did the hour workout, came back and these guys it was amazing. There was a table set up, and there was coffee and water. I mean it was like this whole and I would say probably I don't know half or more of them stuck around and fellowship with each other, just talk about stuff, you know. So it's what it's supposed to be. It's what it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: So the Memphis F three Club gets an A if I was auditing, I was auditing.
Speaker 2: Yeah A. Plus we also called Memphis the Land of Rules. Uh that's a that's a throwback to an old reference. But because these guys like to be very very specific in how they do things here at after they got a pretty well systematizer, they're doing real well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys have built something remarkable, I think, but at its core, one of the reasons why you're such an interesting guest to Alex and me is that you're just normal people showing up for normal people. Ultimately, Yeah, the man out there or the wife out there who has a husband who's listening to us. Not the husband, but the wife's listening to us. The man who thinks it's just too ordinary to make a difference, or the wife that sees in her husband a degraded version of what she fell in love with. What does F three say about what just one normal person can actually do?
Speaker 2: We often because people look at F three now that we have you know, we're known a little bit in certain places, and they know we have some size, you know, to to our ranks and things like that. And I get a lot of guys who say things like, oh, man F three ought to you know, fill in the blank, do whatever it might be, right, And we often say that that man F three ain't going to change the world. That's not what we're for. We're here to change men who will change the world. So to a one guy who thinks he can't make any difference, I think he needs to probably step back and decide what difference really means. He needs to figure out that it ain't building some big, massive, you know, billion dollar company, or flying to the moon or any other that nonsense. Right. He needs to recognized. I have.
Speaker 1: Done a lot of speeches all over the place. I big, big, big ones and all that. And one of the things in the leadership speech that I do is you can probably be the most effective, most important leader and servant without even leaving the front door your spouse and children, your family, And you don't have to be part of any big five oh one, C three or anything to have profound effect. And I know that because I lack that leadership in my own life. And I love what you're doing because I can see a man after joining F three and being involved for just a short period of time, I can see him feeling better about himself physically and better about himself emotionally and spiritually. And I got to believe.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: Most clearly reflected at home one.
Speaker 2: In fact, I say it a lot, and I feel like I'm not quite getting it through to everybody yet in F three. You know, but like if you're not taking everything that we teach you out there about leadership, about the principles of the workout even even things like you know, like our third core values that we are third core principles, that we work out outdoors no matter what rain shown, it doesn't matter, right, no matter what we're outdoors that's just a thing. And every man has to just you know, assess his own risk and decide whether or not he wants to be there. Now, that's up to him. But all those things that we teach you about becoming more durable, right, the fitness is functional fitness. I want to know that if I have to pick Bill up, I can, right. I want to know that. I mean, even down to something stupid, like if if the plane is late and I got to carry all the bags and our family has to run to the next gate or something, right, I can do that. I'm I'm strong enough to do that. I have the mental durability to do that. Right. If you're not taking all of those things that we teach you home, then there isn't any point. There's any point. The family is the basic building block of society. How the family goes, society goes, and how the man in the family goes is how the family goes. And that's just facts us.
Speaker 1: We got about ten minutes left, would love and obviously there's some f three people hanging around in here. Some of our giggling, especially when we talked about the nicknames and the monkey humpers and all that. Anybody got a question for mister Schwartz. I keep wanting to say, shorts, mister Schwartz.
Speaker 6: Ice Capades, thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: I mean, tell me that's not a great name. Bial ice Capades. That's pretty good. Ice Capades.
Speaker 6: Long story there, we can go and do it for time. Uh coach Bill any Thursday morning, five thirty right out here in front across town Brewery, open invitation.
Speaker 2: I love it. There it is. You have one right here outright.
Speaker 6: Every Thursday morning, right there on the street, right across from the new.
Speaker 2: Uh howbaitz do you have?
Speaker 6: Usually show up anywhere from one to twenty.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 6: And it's when you're the one that day you get to measure how you've built yourself by forcing yourself to put yourself through forty five minutes of monkey humpers.
Speaker 2: It's a good I never re working. That'd be bad. Dark how much so.
Speaker 6: One of the things we talk about is male community leadership, and that manifests itself. Obviously we talk a lot about in our personal relationships you got a new nickname by the way, our family relationships, but it also is into the community.
Speaker 2: As a whole.
Speaker 6: For example, here, I think it's about once a month we feed or work at a homeless shelter for men. Can you talk about any of the other initiatives some of the other regions have taken on.
Speaker 2: Sure, I would say that. Well, first of all, I'm glad you asked that, because I think sometimes guys think that when we talk about male community leadership, that it's like they got to go start something, and that's what it means to be a leader, right, to sit atop an organization somewhere or something like that, And it's just not true, right, Leadership happens everywhere in an organization. My dream, one of the dreams I would have for F three is that we would be guys. Don't like this term sometimes, but bear with me, but we would be an organization of infantry. Right. We would go and we would say, hey, I don't need to start the red crossover. They've kind of nailed it, right, but I bet they could use some help in leadership. And I got a willing mind, a strong back, right, and I know a couple things about leading people to make them more effective. So I love the asset because that's really the ultimate dream, right, is that we wouldn't go start some big thing that we would just go and be in all the things I used to say all the time. I'm not sure I'm going to be satisfied until I see our logo in every boardroom in America and all the halls of Congress and everywhere else. Right, then I'll know that we're getting somewhere. Right. So, to answer your question, there's guys like in Saint Louis. They've decided that the human trafficking is kind of their deal, right, and they raise tens or maybe even hundreds now of thousands of dollars every year for a couple of their local charities that deal with that alcoholism orcidivisims.
Speaker 1: I can't think of a more masculine thing to do than to protect vulnerable young women. Yeah, that's as masculine as it gets. I love that. I had no idea what you just said, but when you said it, I'm like, makes sense, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is with with F three being the way that it is, the way that it's structured, right, it is completely decentralized. Right, I am the leader. It's loose, right. I can't tell these guys what to do in the morning. I mean, they don't pay any money. I can't revoke their charter, you know, I can't. I got nothing right. So the only way that they would lead or follow anything that I said is because either a I have a more superior vision to another man. I'm better at articulating it and better at persuading them to come along with me. Right, That's the only way that this that this means anything. But the guys on the ground are the ones who decide. They're the ones who who use the things that we teach them to then go and do the good in their community. So as an example, this this human trafficking thing, one of the guys who helped set it up in Saint Louis was like, it's not good enough to leave it in Saint Louis, And so he took all the things that he learned, all the principles that he learned about dealing with these, you know, the local charity and all this kind of stuff, wrote wrote himself a playbook and has launched it, I think in I don't know twenty or more locations across the US now, and is using F three guys, using F three guys to power an engine to serve not just raise money, but also to serve these You realize that's literally an army in normal folks, That is literally Why do you think I was so excited to be here because you got to me to Alex which ones he any other questions?
Speaker 3: This is Rabbit from F three Memphis, Dark Helmet.
Speaker 2: What's the best piece of advice you've ever gotten? And I'll Bill, I'd like to hear that from you as well. The best piece of advice I've ever gotten? You know what a guy said to me one time. I think that's a pretty reasonable piece of advice. Uh, never take advice for men you wouldn't switch places with. I've heard that, and that's great. It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: The best piece of advice I've gotten And we don't have time for me to tell the whole story, but I alluded to it earlier is it's better to do nothing than to be a Turkey person. And real briefly, all that means is my first year at Manassas, I took over a team that the previous ten years record was four wins and ninety five losses. I had seventeen kids on a team, and midway through my first season there we were three and three, and I think that's pretty average, but when you won four games and ten years, they thought I was a fat, redheaded version of Line Kiffin or somebody.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So there, yes or nos are on the football field, but it was pretty clear that we need to start coaching things other than football, like character and commitment, integrity, the basic tenants that lead to a meaningful life long after the days of playing ball are over. And while the whole team is bind to the football, only half the team is buying to the important stuff. And so I went to my guy. Everybody has a guy, and I said, hey, man, why can't I get that half the team to buy an important stuff like your half the team? And I knew he'd give me an answer, but instead I got that dismissive tone that you get from your kids when they don't want to hear it. And he just kind of said, all, coach, just keep doing what you're doing. I'm like, oh, man, real talk, why can't I get that half the team to buy an important stuff like your half the team? I appreciate you all into the football, but what about the important stuff? And he said, Coach, I don't want hurt your feelings. I said, you're not He said, all right, real talk, I said, real talk. He said, Coach, you're trying to figure out if you're a Turkey person or not. And I'm like, what are you talking about? He said, man, Coach, Every Christmas and Thanksgiving, people from where you live come into New Chicago and Smoky City where I live, and they give us gifts and turkeys and we take them because we ain't got none. But do they leave and we never see them again. Makes you wonder if they're doing that because they really care about us, or they're doing that to make themselves feel good or brag to their friends about what they're doing for these poor black folks.
Speaker 2: Don't they.
Speaker 1: Hit me dead in the face. That's toxic charity, you know. If you're doing it because you enjoy the backslaps, or you're doing it because it looks good on a resume, or you're doing it to check a box at your company, and you're not doing it for the simple edification of someone who's not as blessed as you. You are a fraud. And that's what a Turkey person is. And the best advice I've probably ever been given in my life was from an eighteen year old kid from the hood who was basically saying to me, do it for the right reasons, to be consistant.
Speaker 2: Or don't do it at all. Maybe we should call that charitism, maybe because it's taking this beautiful thing, the love of Christ, and then turn it into this warphing it. Yeah, to serve yourself. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I've heard you basically say that three different ways during our conversation, Alex, do you have a last question for us before we sign off it all? Frank dark Helmet, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking a day out of your life to come to Memphis and visit with us. I love that you hunt out with F three guys. I want to thank all of you for showing up and supporting the show and supporting Frank and joining in the interview. And I can't wait for this thing to go live and hopefully there's f three groups popping up all over all over the place, beyond the ones you've already done. I mean, you're going to go from one hundred thousand and two hundred thousand. Let's see if we can get plenty.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, great story, great work, Thanks for being here, Frank, buddy, Thank you and thank you for joining us this week. If Frank Schwartz has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by joining an F three workout, sharing this episode with men in your life who could benefit from it, leading more intentionally in your home or community, or something else entirely, seriously, let me know about it.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear about it.
Speaker 1: You can write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us. If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor, share our friends, share it on social Subscribe to the podcast wherever you're watching or listening to it, rate it, review it. Join the Army at normalfolks dot org. Join or start one of our local service clubs. Take the ten level challenge and buy our more which we don't make any money on any and all of these things that will help us grow an army and normal folks.
Speaker 2: I'm Bill Courtney. Until next time, do what you can