Speaker 1: When you're working on a story, especially a documentary or a podcast like this one, in the back of your mind, there's always the hope that somehow something's going to help the story break open in a new way, that there will be breaking news. Our team was in the middle of putting this podcast together, doing interviews, conducting research, constructing the episodes when we got an alert that Paul Landis, one of President Kennedy's Secret Service agents, was coming forward with new information. A few of the Secret Service agents that were present that day have given interviews, some have written books, but mister Landis has never spoken out. As The New York Times said, he spent much of his life after Dallas fleeing from history, trying to put the horror from that day behind him. But now, at age eighty eight, mister Landis decided to share his memories from that day, including one moment that can be considered, if not a smoking gun, a smoking bullet.
Speaker 2: Paul Anders was twenty eight years old on November twenty second, nineteen sixty three, and he was positioned on the running board of the car directly behind Kennedy as the motorcade weaved its way through the streets of Dallas and into Dealey Plaza. He agreed to talk to us about what he saw that day. Here's more of the interview we did with him, and I think it paints a vivid picture of what it was like to witness it all. So, Paul, the first thing is, can you just describe what you saw at the moment that the President was hit?
Speaker 3: Yes, or just after we made turn onto Elm Street and the two cars, President's limousine and the follow up car were starting to straighten up behind each other. When I heard the first shot, I looked at the President. He was leaning a little bit to his left. He was raising his arms, and I just thought that he was reacting to the sound and was turning to see where the sound came from. I did not realize at that point that the President had been hit.
Speaker 2: That was the first time he was hit, the first time.
Speaker 3: His arms were flying up from the impact, but I didn't realize he'd been hit at that time. So I turned and looking over my right shoulder where the sound came from, didn't see anything. Scanned down across what became known as the Grassy Knoll, and I scanned across the top of the underpass. We were approaching, and that time I was just happened to be looking in the President's direction again and the second shot, and just shortly after the second shot, I heard the third shot. I saw the presidents had split wide ope on the midst of blood and flesh and rain matter flew into the air. I ducked to avoid getting splattered. And at that point we assumed under the under kass and we were on our way to park On Memorial Hospital.
Speaker 2: So that fatal shot that you describe, you're saying that brain matter was flying towards you, right, Yes, how far behind were you?
Speaker 4: Probably fifteen, no more than twenty feet.
Speaker 3: I was standing on the great rear running board of half back the follow up car.
Speaker 2: Then you arrive at Parkland Hospital, and I know there's all chaos and trying to get the president in and be treated in all of that. And then you described this thing, and I know you've said it before, but I'd look to hear it again in your words, that you happened to find this a bullet in the back seat. Can you just explain that.
Speaker 1: Pay attention, because this is the part that's breaking news, a bombshell in the history of the investigation into the Kennedy assassination.
Speaker 4: Well, I raised to.
Speaker 3: The President's and Missus Kennedy was sitting on the left center of the rear seat, and when I got there, I reached over the door, took her by the shoulders and asked if I could help her, and she said no, she wanted to stay with family. About that time, Clint Hill came around, covered the President's head with his suit coat, and Missus Kennedy released him, and they were starting to get up. As soon as she's about right behind where she had been sitting, there was a pristine bullet.
Speaker 1: A pristine bullet in the backseat of the car, the seat where the President and the First Lady had been sitting.
Speaker 4: I picked this bullet up.
Speaker 3: It was not deformed, other than it had recognized striations hunt that it had been fired. I'm looking around, I see no agents behind the car. Everybody was concentrating on the President, so I didn't know what to do right away, but I was afraid this bullet was an important piece of evidence and I didn't want it to get lost. There were people merging on the car at the time, so I slipped it in my pocket and raced in with the journey carrying the president's body.
Speaker 2: Now, the bullet that you found, you said that it was virtually pristine. So did it look like it had hit anything.
Speaker 4: It could not look like it hit anything.
Speaker 3: All I had was the extridations on the out side.
Speaker 4: It was just like resting on the top of a seat.
Speaker 2: So what do you think, I mean, where do you think this bullet came from?
Speaker 3: I had no idea where it came from, other than I was thinking the you know, the president's.
Speaker 2: Body, because I mean there was in the autopsy they showed that a bullet hit him in the back. So is that possible that maybe that bullet was the one that hit him in the back.
Speaker 4: I think that's very possible.
Speaker 3: They didn't discover a back room until we got that to Washington.
Speaker 1: I want to pause here in this interview for just a moment and make sure that everybody understands the significance of what mister Landis is sharing with us.
Speaker 4: Rob.
Speaker 2: Can you explain it completely destroys the single bullet theory. I mean, we already knew the theory made absolutely no sense, But the discovery of this bullet in the back seat of Kennedy's limo puts the final nail in its coffin.
Speaker 1: Walk me through what's so powerful about this information?
Speaker 2: As our listeners know, the single bullet theory holds that one bullet supposedly entered Kennedy's back six to eight inches below his neck, then traveled up, exited his neck, then made a turn, entered Governor Connolly's back, broke bones in his wrist before winding up in his thigh, and somehow the bullet ends up virtually pristine. So now this pristine bullet would have to have gone through both the President and Governor Connolly, breaking multiple bones, then somehow bounced back into the backseat of the car. And if somehow this bullet didn't accomplish all this, it means there had to be more than one shooter, making it a conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Okay, while we digest that, let's go back to the Landis interview and hear what else he has to say.
Speaker 2: You put the bullet in your pocket, and then you followed them into Parkland Hospital, and then then what did you do with the bullet?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: We raced across the emergency room entrance, we made a turn, went down a hallway, and we arrived at trauma Room one. There was a crowd of people that had joined us at that point, and it was kind of pushed into the room. I was just forced up against the examination table, right next to his feet. Thought that this is a perfect place to leave the bullet. So I reached into my pocket, took it out and placed it by the presidents left shoe.
Speaker 2: And what was the reason that you decided to put it there?
Speaker 3: I just thought it was an important piece of evidence. Doctors would find it when they did their examination.
Speaker 2: Nobody saw the bullet at that point.
Speaker 4: No, because people were shoving, pushing, shouting.
Speaker 2: Somebody found it somewhere and entered it into evidence. Do you have any idea who might have picked that up or found it?
Speaker 3: Well, I've read things since how the bullet was found. Supposedly it was on Connolly's stretcher. I knew that that was not true. When I saw a picture of the bullet, my immediate reaction was, Hey, that's my bullet, and I's not from Governor Connolly's stretcher. I put it next to the President's feet.
Speaker 2: But obviously somebody either moved it or picked it up or whatever, because it is in evidence. I mean, we have pictures of it that we see that were in into evidence. I don't know if you've seen that picture of it. Yes, I have.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what I recognized.
Speaker 2: And I'm just curious why you know at this point you decided to come forward.
Speaker 3: I've been told. I understand now at the post traumatic stress I suffered through this for quite a while. I have to read the Secret Service. I was suffering too much. The newsreel of the President's had exploring. People have asked me about Dallas, and I just never talked about it.
Speaker 2: Listen, I can understand it because you know, it was so shocking at the time, and then in the seventies when the Zuppruder film was first shown to the public. It's so disturbing and so upsetting. And you were there, like you said, brain matter is hitting you. I can see how it's a trauma that is beyond description, and I can understand not wanting to relive that. So the Warren Commission, they never asked you to testify, or they never questioned you or interviewed you.
Speaker 4: No, I assumed.
Speaker 3: Once I knew the Warren Commission had been created, I said, well, I'm going to be in for an interview here. And I was dreading it. I was glad it never happened because I knew I would break it down there and that was a very good image for secrets of this agent. The Warren Commission never interviewed any of the other agents that were in the follow up car.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, you know, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you giving me some time to talk. This has been something I've been thinking about since the day had happened. And you know, every time you hear some new information that may shed more light on what happened that day, people like me and you know we're getting older, you know, who still care about this, are grateful to hear from you and hear what you had to say. So I just want to thank you so much for giving me the time.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for offering me the opportunity. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: That was amazing, and not just what we learned from him and the implication that it has on our understanding of the assassination, but he's another person whose life was profoundly impacted by this tragedy. I cannot imagine living with what he has seen for all of these years.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's amazing that He's coming forth now to share what he saw, and it brings absolutely true. For years, the pristine bullet was a mystery, not just how was in such good shape, but how it was found lying on that stretcher. Nobody could plausibly explain how it got there. But now we have a secret service agent who finds the bullet in the back seat of Kennedy's car and wanting to make sure nobody took it as a souvenir, he picks it up puts it on the President s Kearnie. This is the most significant piece of the puzzle that we've been trying to solve for sixty years. Who Killed JFK?
Speaker 1: Is hosted by Rob Reiner and Me Solidad O'Brien and Our executive producers are Rob Reiner, Michelle Reiner, Matt George, Jason English, David Hoffman, and Me Solidad O'Brien. Our writer is David Hoffman, with research by Dick Russell. Our story editors are Rob Reiner and Julie Pinero. Our senior producer is Julie Pinnero. Our producers are Tristan Nash, Dick Russell, Michelle Goldfein, and Amari Lee. Our editors are Tristan Nash, Julie Pineto, and Marcus de Lauro.
Speaker 2: Our project manager is Carol Klein.
Speaker 1: Our associate producer is emilse Kiros. Mixing, mastering and sound design by Ben la Hulier, Research and fact checking by Girl Friday and emilse Kiros, Business affairs by Hennan Nadea and Jonathan Furman. Our consulting producer is Razanne Galliini. Recorded in part at CDM Studio and Fourth Street Recording Studio. Show logo by Lucy Quintanilla. Production assistants by Rocco Del Prior and Grace Barron. Special thanks to Johonig Rose Arsa and Dan Storper. If you're enjoying the show, leave us a rating and review on your favorite podcast platform. Who Killed JFK as a production of Solidad O'Brien Productions and iHeart Podcasts