Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back George Norrie with Fritz Zimmerman. Fritz, of course, is an independent researcher, author of a number of books, including The Nepheline Chronicles, The Encyclopedia of Ancient Giants in North America, Mysteries of Ancient America in his latest Spook Ancient America The Dark Side. He has spent twelve years plus in the field of investigating hundreds of mound and earthwork sites in the Ohio Ohio Valley for his travel guide and here he is back on Coast to Coast. Tell all, Fritz.
Speaker 3: Hieraban, Hi, good to be with you tonight.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred plus mounds. What does that look like?
Speaker 3: That is twelve years of your life of just going to mound sites. And you know, here in Indiana we only have three mound and earthwork sites that are history registered as historic sites, when there's eighty five. So a lot of that was doing the Archaeological Survey of Indiana. So that took that was about four hundred sites. And then I was also in Ohio and West Virginia, Kentucky and in southern Michigan and photographed those as well, so very time consuming to do that. Many times we'd have to go back to a site maybe two or three times just to get permission to go on the land. So they needed to be done. In Ohio, a lot of the sites are address restricted, so I found those and made those available, you know, for people to see firs.
Speaker 2: These mounds are burial sites. How many bodies are in there generally, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's kind of hard to say. You know, some it would just be like one or two. You know. Grave Creek had two main tombs, one lower and had a man in it that was like over eight foot and then a woman in an upper tomb. Great Creek Mound is the largest in the Ohio Valley. It's seventy foot in heights. But you know, with the limited excavations they did, there's layers of ashes in there, which is probably cremated remains of people. So while it would have maybe two, you know, you would count on the outside there might be hundreds of people that they're cremated remains were in the burial mound as well.
Speaker 2: How did they get the bodies into the mounds? Did they just dig a hole? Drop it in or what.
Speaker 3: Well, generally what it would happen, It would be over time. It would start out as a ternal house in many cases, and they would put the bodies in the ternal house, so where they put the bones, they would probably leave the body out and carry in feet would you know, peck it down to the bones, and then they would bundle those up and then they'd have this pause where they'd have all these bones of ancestors, and then at some point they would burn the turnal house down, cremate their remains so the bone remains, and then they might put a single burial there and then they would layer over the top of that and then put another turnal house on top of that and it starts to process again. So over the course of time you would have layers. However, there's others that they would put a tomb, like a log tomb, and then they would just build over that and that would be the mound, and so there was nobody else in there, so over time they got larger. I think like a grave prequel. It's the largest mound that probably went up fast because we have a lower tomb and an upper tomb, and I take it that was kind of like the leader and his wife was up in the upper tomb. So it kind of varies. You know, sometimes they would build them all at once, and then other times it was an accumulation over time and adding burials as they went rus.
Speaker 2: How old are the mounds.
Speaker 3: The mounds in the Ohio Valley can date as early as eight hundred BC, and they're going to go right up to about five hundred BC, so it's some of the oldest mounds in the nation. I know there's mounds in a lot of places, but they're generally not that old. When you're looking in the south, you know, those are more Mississippian area era, so those are around eight hundred eighty. But these are where the old old burial mounds. And then the mounds in Ohio or in the Ohio Valley, those are where you're finding your hinges and also your geometric earthworks, and those are associated with the giants.
Speaker 2: The giants who.
Speaker 3: Well, all indications would say that these were the same people called the Amorites, which were the one of the tribes accounted giant tribes in the Bible. They were a real tribe. They actually controlled Babylon from two thousand BC to sixteen hundred BC, and kind of one of their calling cards was advanced mathematics. Of that they knew pie and square roots of numbers. They had the Zagarant theorem of triangles a thousand years before the Thagron had them. And we find all of those mathematical properties in the building of the geometric earthworks in the Ohio Valley, including patagara and triangles, which just got revealed at the Winchester earth Works. It's a rectangular earthwork in Winchester, Indiana that that was built using patagon and triangles.
Speaker 2: What were they doing in the Ohio Valley, Fritz, all the way from Bebylon, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Was kind of they went there. The mounds in the British Isles in England, and of course there's Stonehenge. They have conical burial mounds that had either a moat or moat ditch and earthwork around those. They were also building, you know, hinges that are very similar to what we find in the Ohio Valley. So there's a great similarity. And those are known as the Beaker people, which is what the archeologists would call them, but other researches said that those were Amororites, those were Amorites that built those. They came over here to get the copper out of Isle Royal, which I'm sure you've had guests talk about that. But there's five hundred thousand tons of copper that was mined out of there, and certainly we have no account of that. It's not found in burial mounds or it's not found anywhere else. So it's like where did it go? So being probably in the Middle Bronze Age that it was going over into the Middle East and it was used to make weapons over there. So I think they I think commerce originally brought them over here, and then I believe that around sixteen hundred BC they exited the Biblical Lands because the Israelites were taking part of that control of that you had the hit sites that we know historically that they were making Emiright King's vassals, and then we were playing tribute that they probably left. Some were probably homesteaded in the British Isles, and I can tell others just came there to the Ohio Valley.
Speaker 2: Title of your book is called Ancient America The Dark Side, but it's about paranormal activity out there. What kind of activity is there?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, in the Book of Enoch, they talk about the giants, and they say that the giants who were produced from the spirits of flesh, when the fallen angels mate it with the women, that they would be called evil spirits on earth, and Earth shall be their dwelling. So these people buried in the mound, the giants, they are earth bound spirits. And there is hauntings associated with many of the burial mound sites of shadow people. And then I've witnessed that myself and cryptids UFOs being cited at mound sites. And you know, it's kind of a topic that I've known about for years because I had my own paranormal experiences a different mound and earthwork sites. So printing this book with some trepidation because I know how big ghost hunting is out there, you know now, and you know, it's kind of a scary proposition for people going out there with mel meters and you know, all this other stuff in sights, because it's really not the kind of spirits that you want to conjure up. If you're there and you see one, fine, but I certainly wouldn't go and you know, try to irritate one of them.
Speaker 2: Tell Us about your paranormal experiences friends.
Speaker 3: Well one, you know, I interviewed somebody and I'll follow up on that. But I was up on top of Fort Hill and that's in southern Ohio and Highland County. This is a hilltop enclosure. It's a mile and a half around and it's a four foot stone wall that undulates like a great serpent around this thing, and it accumulates with what looks to me like two serpent heads coming together. And I was up at the gateway where these you know, this gateway where these serpent heads come together, and I was getting ready to go down that hill and then there's a path and that'll take you down your car about eight nine hundred foot and I was getting ready to go. I'd taken my photos and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move from left to right, and my glance over there, it's like, I'm sure I saw something over here. About fifteen seconds after that, there was a large black mass that was about eight foot humanoid, but it was just like jet black figure. But it went out of one tree and it went about twenty foot and it was much larger than this tree that it kind of went behind but when it got to the tree, it just vanished. I mean kind of like you was highting behind the tree, but it was bigger than tree. But then you couldn't see it. Well I saw that, Did I just see it? And they always kind of question yourself when you see something like that. It's like, did I believe to see that? So I just kept looking at that tree that I saw that thing go behind. And then it moved from that tree and then back to the right again about another twenty foot and I lost it dhind another tree. Well by that time, it's like, okay, I saw that, and I was up there by myself, so that was a bit scary. So I scurried down the hill and then got onto the path and I made my way down, and interesting enough, I interviewed a fella that was up there with a friend of his and he said, yeah, I said, I saw a shadow person up there. And I said, where were you? And he goes, I was up at the gate, you know where the go to stone walls terminate. And I go, I know exactly where you are. I said, was it over there to the right, And he's like, yeah, it was just beyond the stone wall. So they saw the exact same thing in the exact same place. The buddy that he was with he thought it was big foot and he was a complete non believer in anything paranormal, and he really shook up over it. During this guy that you know, we got down to the car and because I didn't really say anything, and I asked him because I wanted to make sure that he saw what I saw. And he's like asking, It's like, what did he see a thing? But I saw this black eight foot figure. He was like, I thought it was bigfoot, but it was black.
Speaker 2: He became a believer after that, didn't.
Speaker 3: He Yeah, it was you know one of the things he say, said with your friend. He goes, no, he didn't like talking about it. So it's kind of it's had traumatized over the thing. But yeah, he said, I don't know. I said, yeah, a few days like, oh, he just didn't like talking about it.
Speaker 2: Why do you think, Fritz, that there would be paranormal activity near the mound sites?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, these were kind of ceremonial sinners, and you know there's no burial up there. Nobody was ever burialed in one of these things. The Mound of Builders were practicing ancestral worship. So when I said there's people in the mounds, and there might be hundreds of people in these mounds. They would go to the mounds and pray, and they would pray for prosperity and health. But when they would go, they wouldn't be talking to a particular relative or anything like that. But it was a collective of the dead, and this collective of the dead, you know, would grant them, you know, prosperity, health, you know, different things. So the mounds were a portal that connected the living with the dead, and so you have that, and then we have course, you know, the story for me not that these spirits would be earth bound, which goes well with what would they have found within the burial mounds. It's very a few times is there any grave goods? Maybe an item or two, but generally there's not. And Jenny, you would associate grave goods with someone taking a trip to another land to you know, Valhalla or heaven or you know whatever that they would do. But these were earth bound spirits.
Speaker 2: Would you say that most mounds around this planet are haunted.
Speaker 3: Well, I couldn't tell you that, you know, I have my you know, I've been in the Ohio Valley and I can tell you those are. But I would guess that, you know, to some extent, if there's burials there, that they could be there now the later religions around eight hundred a d. Native American burial mounds. Possibly, I haven't heard it as much as what people experience in the Ohio Valley, So I can just kind of tell you what I'm familiar with.
Speaker 2: But in Ohio Valley, yes, what kind of other creatures forts have been spotted out at these places?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I talked to one fella and he he lives right by a cemetery that has a large burial mound, and there was an earthwork there and there was another verial mound that's destroyed, and he had cryptids that surrounded his car, and he sent me a drawing of it, and strange thing. They looked like giant hamsters. They don't look they don't look very menacing. There's a bunch of them, there's like thirty of them, and they surrounded his van. And I said, well, was it something you know, like rabbits or somebody like, No, No, it wasn't rabbits. It was you know, the weird looking things that he couldn't really described from any animal that you would find in the in the woods. And another fella that lives right there with a burial mount near his home. There was a cryptid that kind of looked like a giant lizard and had shovels for hands to burn it, shovels more like canow battles for arms. Of course, it was long like a lizard had, you know, Keith, and he described it as being gray and you could see all the veins and stuff going through it. And again it was like, well, this isn't anything you know that you know indigenous are around here right that it was terrifying to see. And these cryptids are kind of like fairies. And it is these entities can manifest into different things like whatever they want.
Speaker 2: To little tiny crusiers.
Speaker 3: Carny creatures, lizard looking things. I think they manifest in whatever they think is going to scare you. And so it could be anything that they want to manifest.
Speaker 2: As what's the what's their goal for us to get you out of there?
Speaker 3: I think so I think there's you know, when you consider how many of the burial mounds, I mean, Ohio had ten thousand burial mounds at one time. Wow, and now there's maybe one hundred and fifty. So they've had their civilization decimated by our population. And you know, another interesting fact of when you're talking about western West Virginia, southern Ohio, east central Indiana, where you're going to find a lot of the Hindas and geometric earthworks, Native Americans didn't live there. They were terrified of that area. They called the Kanawha River, which is where Point Pleasant is. As to the whole Mothman story, point well, the Shawnee called that the river of evil spirits.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more