Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're taking a deep breath, saying a few oms, and trying to refill our social battery before WNBA All Star Weekend descends on Chicago. It's Tuesday, July twenty first, and on today's show, Team USA Olympians and fiancees Hillary Knight and Britney Bow joined me to talk about how their summer's been more SP's Time one hundred Grand Prix than gardening and chilling, trying to put a positive spin on Hillary's second p WHL team change in as many years, and whether Britney's first gig post retirement might be teaching us all the hockey. Plus Please Don't be a Nightmare? Well, that one is a nightmare and New York's next Door Neighbor shines in the latest edition of Yes and It's All coming up right after this welcome back slices, Here's what you need to know today with hoops, the Atlanta Dream beat the Chicago Sky ninety three ninety one in dramatic fashion on Sunday, a Sydney Taylor three tied things up at ninety one with just seconds on the clock before the Dreams Jordan Canada sealed the wind with a buzzer beating layup. Now the Dream secured the dub, But the game wasn't a total dream for Atlanta because in the fourth quarter, Star forward Angel Reese's left knee buckled on a layup. She twisted her ankle going down and fell to the ground. She returned to the bench and was ultimately ruled out for the rest of the game. As of this recording, the team hasn't given any additional updates, but Reese was spotted in good spirits after the game, shouting dubs in the Bleepin' Chat while walking through the tunnel with an ice pack around her left knee. The Dreamer off for over a week for the All Star breaks, so Reese does have until July twenty ninth before she needs to suit back up for Atlanta. It would be a bummer for her to miss playing in the All Star Game, though, especially in front of a Chicago crowd that still loves the third year star. We'll keep you posted if we get more details on the injury. More w The league's Players Association is meeting with league leadership today, including Commissioner Kathy Engelbert, to address escalating online harassment. According to the Athletics Anti Costable. The meeting was initiated by player leadership after the controversial play in late June between Indiana Fever guard Caitlin Clark and Phoenix Mercury forward Alissa Thomas, after which racist and violent vitriol toward Thomas increased exponentially. The wnbpa's Executive Committee will be at the meeting, as well as the Justice Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Definitely going to keep an eye for news out of that one. Also, the Commission is holding a press conference before the All Star Game, so at the very least we expect her to be asked about the meeting this weekend in Chicago. To tennis, a new Women's Tennis Association rule takes effect today that requires all players to undergo genetic sex testing in order to compete on the WTA Tour. Yes, this is the same controversial rule that we've talked about a bunch on the show lately. It went into effect at World Athletics and World Boxing last year when the International Olympic Committee adopted it earlier this year ahead of the twenty twenty eight LA Games. The test looks for the presence of the sry gene. If an athlete has the gene, these new policies say they should be banned from competing in the women's category, even though medical experts, geneticists, and human rights advocates have long argued that that's a far too simplistic take, with seriously damaging consequences for athletes mentally, physically, and financially, not to mention the potential for abuse during testing, the manipulation of samples, false positives, or even threats of exposure used to extort or violate athletes under the guise of.
Speaker 2: Needing to prove their gender.
Speaker 1: The news was initially reported by Ben Rothenberg at Bounces, a tennis publication. Will link to his report in the show notes. As of this recording, we haven't seen any tennis players speak out about the new rule, but will let you know if anyone comments. To soccer where NWSL expansion side, The Boston Legacy had been having a great run after the FIFA break, winning three games in a row this month, but the streak ended on Sunday in a game again It's the Washington Spirit, when the Spirit scored two goals in a six minute span thanks to Tara Rudd in Trinity Rodman Boston. Sammy Smith scored late in regulation time to bring the score to two to one, but the Legacy failed to find the back of the net again. Still with three of their four wins this season coming in the last few weeks, We're keeping an eye on Boston to see if they can turn their freshman season around, and of course we'll continue to keep an eye on the Spirit, who took over the top of the table with that win. To gymnastics, the best American women competed at the US Classic over the weekend, a tune up event ahead of next month's US Championships. Seventeen year old Reese Espondo won the women's all around, the biggest win of her career to date, just behind Esponda. Two time Olympian Jade Carey, who's competing this season for the first time since winning two medals at the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics. Also making her return Caitlin Ohashi. Earlier this season, Ohashi ended a thirteen year break from elite competition and a seven year break from competition of any kind.
Speaker 2: Now twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Ohashi was a top US junior gymnast between twenty eleven and twenty thirteen. Before stepping away from elite competition. She went on to compete in college gymnastics at UCLA, where she became a viral sensation for her amazing floor routines. She fell just short of earning enough points to earn an automatic qualification to the US Championships, but she still dazzled the audience and said afterwards she quote couldn't ask for anything more. I feel like I had a really solid meat end quote. All right, slice is We're gonna take a quick break when we come back Fresh Starts with Hillary Knight and Britney Bow. I sat down with the two in the MGM High Rollers podcast room. The audio isn't quite as good as if we were in a studio, but definitely worth your time.
Speaker 3: We had a.
Speaker 2: Blast chatting, so stick around.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: I'm skipping my usual long intest so we could take advantage of all the time we have on this very busy weekend. But just know that I'll be singing your praises and reading off pages full of accomplishments when we actually run this pottle distick.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Sarah from the future.
Speaker 1: Here are those lengthy bios they deserve joining us. Hillary Knight, you probably know her as one of the greatest hockey players of all time. She's a two time Olympic gold medalist and three time Olympic silver medalist, a ten time world champion and five time world runner up. After playing with the Boston Fleet for the first two years of the PWHL, she joined the Seattle Torrent last year for their first season, and now she's headed to another expansion team, Detroit via Las Vegas. It's complicated, folks, but just know she's headed to Detroit. Since she last came on good Games. She proposed to her now fiance Brittany Bow in the Olympic Village, taking a big risk by pulling out the ring while standing over a grate. All is well, the ring was delivered. As for Britney, she's a four time Olympian, two time Olympic medalist in the sport of speed skating, and she had a surprisingly good, healed human reaction about finishing fourth and just missing the podium in all three of her events at the most recent Milan Cortina Olympics. Her final games were up playing basketball and in line skating. She's studying the brain and wants to get into mental coaching. All right, let's get back to Hillary and Brittany in Vegas. It's been a probably busy summer, not only celebrating your Olympic achievements and coming down off the Olympics, but also finishing a PWHL season and now you're going to be on the move. So before we get to the planning the logistics the move, let's talk about the fault. What fun have we had over the summer so far? Hillary, Oh, my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: We've uh, let's see, I've gone to the Grand Prix over Monaco.
Speaker 3: How was amazing. I think that kicked off summer.
Speaker 4: We're at a couple time one hundred events sport and regular time one hundred SNL, SNL, sb's ballin.
Speaker 3: You've really done a lot. It's been great. It's been a lot of fun too. And U Sport Beach. That was incredible.
Speaker 4: There's so much going on there, but it's so cool because it's like, I don't know, it's like a fun way to meet people that I don't think we would necessarily meet another industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the coolest networking events yeah ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and after parties aren't so bad.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well everything you just named is amazing, like lifetime moments. For most people, one a year would have been a credible but it's been.
Speaker 2: That in just a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Do you like that, Brittany or do you feel like for you some of your summa would be like gardening and like reading on the patio.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 5: Well, while I love gardening and sitting on the patio, everything has been optional and I sign up for it all. I mean, this is so much fun being able to celebrate Hillary, and you know, the perks of being the plus one aren't too bad.
Speaker 3: So no, it's been It's been so great. What about you?
Speaker 1: Do you have moments where you're like I need to shut it down and say no toe something, or because right now I feel like with women's sports, for so many years, I was.
Speaker 2: Like look over here, look over here, and now I'm like not all of that.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel about like balancing the same yes, and building your brand and building the PWTWL I'm building Team USA versus like, am I gonna burn out?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, well I think just like the Olympic burnout is natura, right, there's just so much you have to do before the Olympics and then post Olympics and you're getting celebrated everywhere, which is great, but you want to share that tangible success with everyone at the same time.
Speaker 3: So that's wild. But I don't know. I think it's this.
Speaker 4: Really like cool opportunity. Anytime you get to get out of your skates and go do something, it's fun. But I think for me, like, as long as I'm taking care of business and keeping the main thing, the main thing when it matters most, like I'm good, and then just checking in with energy right Like it's like I haven't taken a vacation, but like I consider these things by vacation, so I treat it that right out.
Speaker 1: To me sometimes that I'm like, it is work, but it's like I would choose to do this. Yeah, a lot of these things I would pay to get the opportunity to go to these things. So the fact that it's work like, and I think that attitude is really necessary to have the kind of lives that you have.
Speaker 2: You need to be grateful and happy and not grateful in the way that women athletes are.
Speaker 1: Yea grateful, genuine way. You know, we've been having this conversation for literally twenty years now, the pressure that you might feel as the face of hockey in America, do you really step into it and say I'm glad I get to be this person or do you ever feel like, man, I wish I could just like make a mistake or say the wrong thing, or you.
Speaker 2: Know, break a law or something. I feel like it was going to be a representation of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I think I'm getting more comfortable, like as as I've gotten older, like with who I am and what I believe in and what aligns with me and what speaks to me.
Speaker 3: So I think that from that standpoint, it's gotten easier.
Speaker 4: But no, I think back from when I landed in Boston. Some guys saw me pull my hockey bag off the baggage claim and he was like, oh, girls play hockey. And now you can't even get down the street without someone being like, oh, hey, like watch that game or good luck or saw you at the oscar Like It's it's just so cool that those moments of his ability have increased so much in such a sure amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brittany, were here, You're in Vegas in the high roller.
Speaker 1: And s gambling area at the MGM, the Park MGM which by the way, on paid plogg smoke free hotel casino. It's like my dream, I know every time I come to Vegas and I lay in my hair smells, I'm like, oh, we need but this is magical.
Speaker 2: We're here for she Weekend.
Speaker 1: Every aspect of this has been above and beyond, and to me, one of the things it says is like, who's been standing in the way of things like this in the past that it takes Flavor flav using a lifetime of influence and agency and his name to step up and say this is what they deserve.
Speaker 2: And here come the brands, and here come the events, And what do you feel.
Speaker 1: Like when you get here and you're one of all of these Olympians and paralympians being celebrated this way.
Speaker 5: It's been incredible. The way that he has championed all of us has been something I don't think any of us ever expected, but since was at Paris with water polo and then jumping on with Bob sled and now championing the whole women's Olympic team like it's just been incredible and well deserved.
Speaker 3: By us, I guess.
Speaker 5: So the fact that he has you know, seen us and celebrated us and gotten to all these brands on board has just been a blessing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's really fun, probably too for all of you to get together in a space that there's a bit of work. There's some panels, there's some but just to hang out and share stories during the panels today, it was really fascinating the interactivity of hearing these athletes ask questions about finances, about finding agentcy can trust, about what to do post career, and that's kind of where you're at. I'm not going to stress you about Brittany by saying what's next?
Speaker 2: What are you going to do? You've all stressed me out. I am not stressed about it.
Speaker 1: So I'll just say more generally, like how are you approaching this time? And have you asked other athletes or listen to podcasts and heard people talk about, oh, now you don't have a schedule and a coach and a regiment and nutrition and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I've done a.
Speaker 5: Lot of work on my mind and what my value is the last four years.
Speaker 3: So this really, this whole last.
Speaker 5: Quad, I've been able to reflect on my whole career and kind of think about what's next and be at peace with that decision. And I know a lot of people struggle post athletic career, but I've been at such peace and I owe that to the countless people that have worked with me and help me find my value and my life is worth so much more than just what goes on in the arena and what's next for me.
Speaker 2: I'm still going to be involved in speed skating.
Speaker 5: They've kind of created a new position for me to help with the high performance and development stuff. So I am so pumped to be continuing to be involved in speed skating. It's what I've done for sixteen years.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: We're such a small organization and the Salt Lake thirty four coming back to Salt Lake.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for what's next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you going to be mad?
Speaker 3: Hillary?
Speaker 1: When you're getting up and doing crazy workouts getting your protein powered? Jompson And she's over there reading a book eating a stack of pancakes.
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean she's earned it, So let's be real. I'm the one you're getting up. I'm making okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, built in coach slash nutrition slash.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like we just like compliment each other so well, and even like Grit continuing her role or within the industry and I'm going to be in Detroit, like we just make it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever whatever that looks like.
Speaker 4: And so if she needs extra time to go through that transitional period, like we'll just we'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what's super daunting.
Speaker 4: We've done something for so long and then to have the absence of that, You're like, what do I do? So I think something like she weakened is just so monumental for so many athletes in that way to equip us with tools to work on our minds to be able to take that next out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about Detroit. Yeah, I hope I didn't curse.
Speaker 1: You when you came good game and we said, oh look, Buss, you wouldn't protect you, and then we were like look and then off you went to Seattle and then it happens again and I had it to Detroit. How are you receiving that happening twice and the idea that you will be on your third team?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think the human part of it is really hard, like that is really challenging because there's just so much that goes into just like the familiarity of a new market. And I was in Boston for so many years, but just getting back to Boston and you're one and all the new intricacies that go with that new staff quick hires, like you kind of have to figure it out quickly. And so I think from the human standpoint, it's like, oh, who's gonna babysit pain?
Speaker 3: You know, where am I going for this? Where am I going for that? So that's that's a little daunting.
Speaker 4: But the hockey Maart I'm really excited about because manone articulated this amazing Viisi and she wants to establish a championship culture. And I feel like where I'm at in my career, I don't want to waste any time, you know, like the standard set.
Speaker 3: I don't have to explain to you what the standard is.
Speaker 4: She's demanding excellence not only of us, but the support staff and the staff there. And I get to show up and play and try and be my best and try and you know, build a really strong locker up, which is something I'm super passionate about.
Speaker 1: I think these days athletes move teams way more often than they used to. It used to be professional sports, you sort of associated with one sety forever, so it doesn't hurt as much to move around.
Speaker 2: And the silver lining for me is Hillary Knight.
Speaker 1: In a new market is always going to be the best advertisement and argument for fans to show up and check it out. So you having done that in three places for the PWHL is awesome. Selfishly, Yeah, the sport it's shit for you.
Speaker 3: Hattie's gonna dog sit in. Where do I go to the den? Ever? I'm going to Detroit, YACKI tel Hi.
Speaker 4: So it's like, I feel like things are starting to align. But no, like I like, I love Boston, I love Seattle. Those places made me in their own way, right, and so I'm looking forward opportunities to go back and play.
Speaker 3: And but yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited about Detroit. Yeah, but you're right.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you're embarking this new journey, you have to build something from scratch. It takes a lot and it takes the right people to be there to do it. So I'm just happy I'm considered one of those people to be able to build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does it mean for you? Brittany, are you packing up and heading to Detroit.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll be there part time, Like I said, I'll be doing some work with us speed Skating.
Speaker 3: Really excited about that.
Speaker 5: And then once the schedule comes out, if there's a couple home games in a row, I'll definitely be there for some extended periods. But you know, the life of pro sports, you're gone more than your home.
Speaker 3: So yeah, what is home? Salt Lake?
Speaker 4: Okay, oh yeah, between Salt Lake and Sun Valley. But yeah, we have a lovely place in Salt Lake, and we're joking around black bardening befull this started, and I mean not as like the most like tranquil thing to do is get in the backyard and just get to work and sort of this mindless.
Speaker 3: You know, are the trees going to survive this summer in seven degrees?
Speaker 4: You know? But no, I mean it's it's fun to have balance, and I think we found a really good stride. But yeah, and then we have a handful of friends in Detroit too, like Chrits.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, one of my best friends is right outside of Detroit.
Speaker 3: One of your best friends is right outside of.
Speaker 1: Detroit, So yeah, close to Chicago, very close to a city in the country and it's.
Speaker 3: Like you getting a tea.
Speaker 1: I doell know, Like also like why didn't people show up as much as they should have? But also why did they put the game like six days before Christmas?
Speaker 3: Tough?
Speaker 2: That was the first I went to both.
Speaker 1: I dropped the puck actually the first takeover to a game, which was super fun, but it was like a couple of days before Christmas.
Speaker 2: There's so much going on.
Speaker 1: The second one was better, so exciting, But yeah, I mean, Chicago's really interesting work and it's a podcast for another time.
Speaker 2: Why women's sports has been there and is a big history.
Speaker 1: There's so many women's teams there but doesn't have the same culture that it does in some other places, and dissecting why that is, whether it's competing with these established hundred plus year old men's brands, or whether it's the way the teams that marketed themselves.
Speaker 2: But I was disappointed we didn't get a team, and I was like, if we do, we're gonna get Hillary.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I thought a team in scar was like a sure thing. People are coming up like where's the expansions?
Speaker 3: Like really don't know.
Speaker 4: So I think we had a couple like surprise locations, but again, like there's some metric telling the league where they're going to go, and.
Speaker 1: Smart than they did that too, because they are clearly making decisions based off data.
Speaker 2: I have to figure out where Hamilton is.
Speaker 4: I've played in the takeover to her game in Hamilton. Good times, great fan base. Yeah, but it's like an hour hour and a half. I think outside of Toronto or something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The bus strives really blurry.
Speaker 2: I'm like Canada.
Speaker 1: I've like I've got Toronto and Vancouver and Montreal down another yea, like.
Speaker 6: He's in there, It's right there. But then it's like the conversation, right, what's exciting? It's like, okay, like you know, are their conferences? What is the playoff formatal of? Like now we're at twelve teams like.
Speaker 4: When we did the CBA, we did contemplate expanding this day.
Speaker 2: It's really exciting.
Speaker 1: It also makes it really difficult for the expansion process. It makes it difficult for fan bases to attach to play rests and stay rooted.
Speaker 2: In some of the traditions. And so I'm hoping maybe settle for a little before more.
Speaker 1: We love the expansion, but also it makes it a little bit hard to build at times. I want to ask you about something you mentioned in the panel earlier today. You said something about you want the way we even call games to change, and I felt like you were about to touch on something that I've been preaching.
Speaker 2: So I want to hear what you meant by that.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's just so much more knowledge like we can infuse into click the game call, whether it's the play by play or the color commentary. That it's just like we are like fierce competitors out there, like smashing each other into the glass, through the glass, scoring amazing goals, bringing up crazy plays that I feel like the sports at this pivotal moment where it's gonna take.
Speaker 3: That next step.
Speaker 4: And so I feel like the language and how we speak to that fan that wants to learn more or is a die hard fan needs that language to evolve.
Speaker 1: Yes, I completely agree, and for me, it's the next big step for women's sports is thank you for knowing we exist and wanting to quote unquote support or be part of the community or via the merch or show that you care. Now, how do we take all those people that have just arrived and actually teach them x's and o's. Why is Hillary Knight elite? Outside of what you can see about a score? Why is this goaltender doing so well? What are the angles that they're used?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How do we actually watch the game in a smarter way?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that was it was interesting like when our relationship first like became more serious and you got more serious about hockey, like teaching brit the game, And it was kind of this weird experience for I'm like, one, I'm like, how.
Speaker 3: Do you not know hockey?
Speaker 4: Like you know, like this is a great sport, but because it's really complicated, right, So once you get those eyes in there, like how do you keep them there? You know, how do they get attached to that one player? And to your point, like why is she so great? Why is this player different than that player? What makes them great? So I just think that evolution is I think it's knocking on the door.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I love that you talked about teaching her because I do think what's interesting too for athletes is taking themselves back to day one. Has zem better learn how to speak to and engage with an audience? I said, my show is Stars, Steak, Stats and Stories, if I was taking someone to a PWHL game, which I did. I took about twelve people to take over to a game, and I was like, most of them had never gonn to do a hockey game, not to mention women's hockey and the PWHL, And I'm like, here's what you need to know, star Stak, stats and stories. You're gonna be so much more into the game than if I'm just like, Okay, watch you don't know anything about either team or what the goals are. And so I want to do that more for women's sports. And I wonder Brittany Glennon, Doyle and Abbi Wambach have an interesting relationship where Glennon will sometimes try to teach people about the sports from her perspective as a non athlete, non sports fan.
Speaker 2: Can we expect some content.
Speaker 1: From you, maybe for next season, now that you're retired taking us through the PWHL, Maybe cut breaking down some film of Hillary.
Speaker 5: I think I know a little bit more about hockey than Glennon does suck or maybe she's just putting up a front. She has to know a little bit more, but she is a riot. They are so funny, But I guess I could but the hockey.
Speaker 1: Yes, let us get salt and pep around them, keeping off side in the blue line, and we would love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question for you, wedding planning, happening or not? Great question, not planning, planning, not planning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we ran into it.
Speaker 4: I won't put them on blast, but we ran some other tm USA athletes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same boat. They haven't planned. We haven't planned. I don't know. Is it an athlete thing? Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Take your time so you enjoy banging on.
Speaker 5: Okay, you are kind of in white, yeah, helim white.
Speaker 2: I mean no pressure. But I have officiated a wedding before. So if you don't want to use elvis or who's they provided, somebody knows you better. If you're happy, this might actually get you here.
Speaker 3: Of all the pressures. Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, in all seriousness, like my brother's getting married this fall and we didn't want to like that.
Speaker 3: This is his year. So we're like, hey, we at least buy this. This is another year.
Speaker 4: But we don't know what we want to do, where we want to go, where we want to celebrate with people?
Speaker 3: Like how many people? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I joke around that people are gonna get a postcard the mail and be like, hey, show where the party is you want to come?
Speaker 3: Great if not cool, like do your fami.
Speaker 1: My husband and I both made a checklist one to five of priorities to see what order we put things in, like because like, let's say you want a certain number of people, you might not want to do destination if you don't think they'll all be able to make it. Do you really want people to be dancing all night or do you care more about like the food.
Speaker 2: Do you want the flowers to be most beautiful everyone's ever seen? Or is it more about like the fun. We were really into logistics, like people shouldn't be in long lines for beer.
Speaker 3: We really wanted music.
Speaker 1: So we got this awesome band on this festival band that did all eighties and nineties hip hop covers and came out with the flavor Flave clock and like, well you know it was a rager. Yeah, and that's what we put for the wedding platter. When people believe they you want them to say the wedding was, and we.
Speaker 2: Said a ranger.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So like identifying that early just helps you start a lit emanating things.
Speaker 2: Just do it like that to start and.
Speaker 1: That'll make the whole like million choices be a little less overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Breath that's help, that's very healthful, or.
Speaker 2: Just do it here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in fact, let's go do it right.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for taking the time.
Speaker 1: Thanks thanks again to Hillary and Britney for taking the time, especially during an extremely busy, super.
Speaker 2: Fun weekend in Vegas. Don't forget.
Speaker 1: You can now watch full length good game interviews on the iHeart Women's Sports YouTube channel. And this is a fun one because again we were in the high rollers room in a casino, not your usual podcast spot.
Speaker 3: We got to take another break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we talk history on the other side of Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Slices.
Speaker 1: It's time for the latest edition.
Speaker 3: Of Yes and.
Speaker 2: Yes Yes, and it's.
Speaker 1: The segment where we celebrate the best of women's sports today while making sure to remember the history that got us to this point. In yesterday's show, we told you have forty two thousand, one hundred and seventy five fans watch Gotham FC defeat the Washington Spirit one nil last week at City Field, home of MLB's New York Mets. It marked the largest attendance ever at a women's sporting event in New York City, pera Gotham Press release. The previous record was set during the twenty twenty three US Open, when twenty eight, one hundred and forty three fans crowded into Arthur Ashe Stadium to watch Coco Goff's victory. So, as we were thinking about Gotham's new New York record, we started thinking about the stadiums that host New York named teams, but just happened to be across the Hudson in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: During the nineteen ninety nine Women's World Cup, seventy eight thousand, nine hundred and seventy two fans were in attendance when the US opened the tournament by defeating Denmark three nil in a game played at Giant Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. You know, I've told the story before about how the US team started wondering why they were stuck in crazy traffic en route to their game, Like where are all these cars going? They were asking each other, only to realize all the people in those cars were going to watch them play now. Giants Stadium was demolished in twenty ten and was replaced by MetLife Stadium aka the same venue that hosted the Men's World Cup Final on Sunday afternoon. But we'll always have the memory of those seventy eighty nine hundred.
Speaker 3: And seventy two.
Speaker 1: So yes to the more than forty two thousand fans who turned out to last week's Goot Them game that still counts as the NYC record, and to the more than seventy eight thousand fans who showed up just across the river twenty seven years ago. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day, just another reminder to come hang out with us in Chicago during WNBA All Star Weekend. Level Sporting Club Women's Sports Bar will host live editions of Good Game with Sarah Spain and Flagrant and Funny with Jamel Hill and Carry Champion on Friday, So stop by twelve thirty to three Central for all the fun. No registration or fee required. Just show up prefer urly with Good Game march on. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email, Good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It really truly helps the show and it's easy watch. I absolutely would like to see this in person. Rating three new lumberjack records for the Books Review. Wisconsin hosted the Lumberjack World Championships over the weekend, because of course it did, and this year, two of the women competing at the event set three new world records. Carolina Urbanova from the Czech Republic set two of them. She earned first place in the women's underhand chop cutting through eleven inches of white pine and twenty one point two eight seconds eleven inches of white pine sounds like my college, never mind. She also came in first in the women's standing chop, cutting through nine inches of white pine in nineteen point three eight seconds. Meantime, Meredith Ingratson, a Wisconsin local, set a world record in the women's boom run, which involves sprinting across eight red cedar logs, over the water and back. She accomplished the feat in thirteen point seven eight seconds. Now, is this a sport? Is it a cultural tradition?
Speaker 3: Neither?
Speaker 2: Both doesn't really matter. I like it.
Speaker 1: These women are badass and they could definitely kick my ass. Respect Also respect to me for sharing just one naughty thought during a segment about wood, Longwood, Redwood.
Speaker 3: Time to end the show.
Speaker 1: Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good game, Hillary, Good game, Brittany Few maturity of growth preventing me from rolling out all ten naughty thoughts I had while talking about wood. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment and find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Brittany Martinez, and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain