Speaker 1: Calling all my sweeties to the forefront. I'm your host, christ Rna Hazel and this is the Keep It Positive Swedish Show. Welcome to Keep It Positive, Sweety, the place where we heal, grow and learn together. Everybody wants the bag, but today's conversation isn't about getting it. It's about what you build after you have it. Joining us are creators of Earn Your Leisure and the founders of Investfest, one of the world's largest financial literacy festivals. I am so glad to be sitting with Rashad Balal and Troy Millings. Today's guests have become two of the most influential voices in financial education. Rasha Balau and Troy Millings are the creators of Earn Your Leisure and founders of Investfest, one of the world's largest financial literacy festivals, bringing together more than fifty thousand entrepreneurs, investors, and change makers each year right here in Atlanta. Through culture, conversation, and community, they've helped redefine what wealth building really looks like for a new generation. Certainly, please give a very warm welcome to the founders of Earn Your Leisure, Troy and rashide Hi.
Speaker 2: Guys, how y'all doing good?
Speaker 3: How are you feeling good?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I got y'all in the building.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful building.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you so much. We got some new digs and happy to have you guys here. And before we get started, I like to kind of loosen things up by playing a little game. Y'all down, let's do it all right, let's do it. So it is called worth the investment? Is this worth the investment? So the first one is college. There's a lot of going back and forth on this. Right now, it's worth.
Speaker 2: The investment if you if you invest wisely, that's good. So I don't think it's just a yes and no answer. It's a okay. It's a few difference layered the conversation what are you? What are you majoring in? That's vitally important. Most people are majoring in things that are not going to beneficial for them.
Speaker 1: Talk about it.
Speaker 2: So if you're just getting a liberal arts degree nine times out of ten, that's not gonna be helpful for you. That's one thing. Another thing is like, are you going to a state school or you're going to a out of state school? Right? Because the tuition is gonna be tremendously different. Yes, you're going to a private school or you're going to a state school. That's gonna determine the factors too. So can you afford to go where you're going, or you're just going because of the vibe like the football team, like the mascot, like you know what I mean. Like you're gonna put yourself in eighty thousand dollars worth of debt because they made it to the final four last year. That's real, like you know what I mean. So that's vitally important to think about as well. And then also I think about there's an educational component to it, but there is also a component of what you learn in school, the experiences that you have in school that can't necessarily be measured by the money aspect of it. You might meet your husband your wife in college. You might meet your business partner in college. You might you know, there's people that you go to college, you join a fraternity and that helps you out. So the social aspect of college is tricky because you don't really know. It's kind of like hit a miss, honestly, but you should consider that. You should definitely consider that as well. So I think that it's a layer of conversation, but most people are not considering any of that, and it's just going off for like a feeling. I just like this school, I like you know, I think I'm gonna have a good time here, and I don't think that that's the best way to go.
Speaker 3: About it as an educator. So for all the reasons he said, I will say yes, if you asked me that question in five years, maybe ten, I'll my answer would probably I'm not sure because I feel like with the advancements and artificial intelligence, especially how it's going to disrupt education, it won't be about how much you know, it'll be how fast can you learn? And the same time it used to take us four degree is to be qualified, it may take us a month, it may take us six weeks to do that because the technology is speeding up. In fact, everything that we want to know has been coming through the Internet and now put into a GBT or a large language model, and so you're going to start seeing certificate certificates or certifications become more abundant because the speed at which people are learning is going to become the thing. So it won't really matter if you went to that college or that prestigious university, It'll be how much do you know? How fast can you learn? How much can you implement? Which is going to change the way that we look at education, right, instead of hey, I got this degree from Harvard. Well what does that mean when that person can prompt something in the next two minutes and create a business in two months. Right, he didn't have to go to MIT to do that. So it's going to be a disruptive for sure. So the answer now would be for the things he said, yes, I'm not sure in five to ten years, that's.
Speaker 1: Good, that's good. What about side hustles? Are they worth investment?
Speaker 2: A side hustle? Like what give an example?
Speaker 1: Can you or.
Speaker 3: So the income determines if it's a hustle.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't agree with side hustles. I think it's a waste of time because this is a terminology.
Speaker 1: It's like, what.
Speaker 2: Are you doing it for if you're not going to plan on being a major If it's not going to be something that like now at that particular moment in time, it might it might not be something that's replacing your full time income, and it's not it's something that makes a million dollars a year. But if you're going into it with the mentality of this is a little thing, This is a side hustle, This is just something I'm gonna do spare time. That's a hobby to me. And you can have a hobby, but a hobby and business is two different things. Like hustling is not a hobby, So side hustle to me, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: That's good. I like that.
Speaker 3: I would change the terminology decide interest, Right, what are you interested in? Because even for me personally, it was I was teaching. I was teaching. I loved teaching kids about finance. There's an opportunity to teach more people about financial financial literacy. That was an interest that became more purposeful for me, right, still rooted in education. Just changed the medium and so the side interest becomes something that all right in my working, walking in my path and my walking in my purpose. Yes, how those two things aligned, and a lot of people can look at what they're doing now and have side interest that you know what, Sometimes people are sitting in that moment and like why am I here? Like what am I doing here? Not knowing that you're building the bricks and the foundation for what you're going to be built to do.
Speaker 1: That is so true.
Speaker 2: Even the word side. I feel like anything related to side to me has a minimum connotation to it.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Your side?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, what's that? Keep it positive?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 3: What's that? Give us a definition? Please?
Speaker 2: You know, if you want to do it, if you're going to do it, do it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't like this. You know, you got a meal and then it's like you got turkey and you got sides, Like you know what I mean, They're not good. I'm not on the same level, not the same.
Speaker 3: But I'm because that's good. I like what I'm saying. Side as an addition to I'm doing this. I'm doing this in addition to yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was kind of how I worked this system with me want. I knew I want to be an actor. I knew what I really wanted to do, but I knew I need to be around it. So I was doing what I needed to survive, but I knew what the goal was. How you talk about that purpose? If this is getting you to where your purpose is, and do that. But I agree with you. I'm all about going at things. There's no half ass and just do it, you know, And if you have different things to talk about multiple streams, if you have different things, do them all. You know, I don't have anything some wish you guys on that you spoke on AI. So I want to know, is that worth the investment? Yeah? I feel like that's a no brainer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But more than just investing in the companies, I think investing in the education and investing in the place that we're going to play in it. Yes, right, Like we've seen things be created. Are we the people creating it? Are we the innovators? Are we the engineers? We need to look at it from that standpoint in totality, because yes, we can invest in the companies and we'll make money because we can see that technology is going to lead this and if we're in the right technology companies that are going to appreciate over the next five to ten years, we'll be pretty good. But bigger than that is this thing is going to change the world as we know is changing it now. But are we on the right side of it? Right? Are we leading it? Because if we talk about subconscious bias in the real world, imagine when people are actually prompting it and they have that same bias and there's nobody to complain to, right, so we got to make sure that we're on the other side.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 1: I love that. What about you?
Speaker 3: You just with it?
Speaker 1: Ai? Yeah, day, okay, we had two more networking. Is that worth investment?
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. But you have to network from I think people go about it the wrong way. Like networking is not just going to an event yep and just walking up to Tyler Perry and just saying, hey, look you work.
Speaker 1: It does not work.
Speaker 2: Like you got a network across.
Speaker 1: I had to work and he saw the work and that that made the net Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like network the right way, Like see how you can add value to somebody. Lead with value first, don't lead with you know, ask first. That's very selfish way to go about it. And most people network from a very selfish standpoint, and then they get mad when it doesn't work out absolutely well. Like you well, if you looked at it into totality like you're being you're being extremely selfish because your own thinking about yourself. And the honest truth is nobody really cares about you, unless they're like your parent or your spouse, Like nobody really cares about you, because you don't care about anybody else. Really, if we're gonna be honest with you, if you just met somebody industry, you don't care about them like that. You don't have like a deep rooted interest in their future. So wat should somebody have a deep rooted interest in your future?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So it's like, if we go on network, let's see how we can help each other. I know that you need help with something. I'm going to leave with that first, because it's the lower of reciprocity, Like the more you give, the more you'll get. And you have to network with people that it actually makes sense to network, right, people to look past the person that's that's right next to them that could actually add value because they don't. They don't value them, but they see somebody all the way at the top and it's like, this is the person. I got it. But it's like, meanwhile, your pathway to success is right next to you, and it's like by you ignoring that, that's like us, we didn't we didn't get to where we were by you know, reaching out to a celebrity and then intern and it was like we grew together, ye and we had to learn things together but it was helpful because we were both at that same level. So as we grow, we're growing together. You're going to miss a lot of opportunities by not valuing people that are on the same level as you, like work together and then you could potentially build something together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true a thousand percent for every reason he just said. And like that is our foundation, right, Like you're talking about two guys that grew up in the neighborhood, went to high school together, didn't have celebrity friends, didn't have athletes that were friends, kind of just were trying to do something together and saw value in other people and gave them a platform. Right, So, yes, celebrity is great to see, but do you have a CPA. Let's highlight one. Do you have a trademark attorney, let's highlight one. Do you have a real estate broker, a mortgage broker, Let's highlight those people. Let's show you that that type of value can directly impact you today, literally, right, And Like if the celebrity comes and has stories and you know, they can tell you some of the transgressions that they've had in some of the errors that they've made. Great, but these people are going to help you right now, right.
Speaker 1: Now, Yes, absolutely, I love it. Last one, mentors, which I think are very valuable.
Speaker 2: Mentors is very very valuable as well. But once again, sometimes I look at anybody could be a mentor, like if you know something, I ask you a question, like you're essentially my mentor. It doesn't have to be somebody that's eighty years old that's extremely wise and been through everything in life, like the oracle. That's what people think of, like when they think of a mentor, and it's like that might be hard to get, but like you might be wanting to learn something about AI. Person might be younger than you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure they.
Speaker 2: Can teach you something, but your pride and ego doesn't look at them as like a mentor because they're twenty three years old. So you're like, I'm thirty five, what can a twenty three year old I'm not going to Oh, I'm not going to go to him on an ongoing basis for information. But then once again, it's to add a value part of it, like when you when you're when you're looking for your mentor or the wrong way to go about it, I think is to email somebody, to text somebody, to say hey, I just graduated from more House College. Can you mentor me? That's charity. You can only through so much charity before you're on the opposite side off It's like a seesaw. So instead somebody will say, well I can't offer value to somebody that's already successful. That's not necessarily true. You can say, hey, look, I notice you don't have social media. Do you mind if I run your TikTok for free for six months and dinner? Or hey, I know I know personally know somebody that can I Do you mind if I introduce you to a person? Or do you mind if I can you know, work for you for free? See how you can add value to that person. Then when you're around that person, then that becomes a relationship. Then that relationship becomes mentorship. Yes, that's how you build it. You don't build it by saying would you mentor me? Can we have a why would I have a couple of coffee? Which I don't even know you? Right? Like, so I'm just being honest, But I think because I've seen that happen so many times, get disappointed because they do the same thing over and over again. They meet somebody, Hey I would love to get some coffee. Can you mentor me? Can I pick your brain? It's the worst thing you could ever say in life is can I pick your brain? And like I said, it's actually it's actually pretty selfish if you really think about it, If you really think about it, it's pretty selfish because like you're it's just all about you. You're not looking outwardly. So if you change your mindset, change how you look at things, then you'll actually attract what you want. But mentorship is very important. But it's important how you look at the mentorship.
Speaker 3: And that's on a like one on one basis or encounter. A lot of my mentors I never met in real life. I watched their steps. I watched Tyler Perry build this. I remember being in high school and like my girls my friends were like, I'm going to see this play what you're talking about and watching that scale and then him showing up on Oprah to obviously we're sitting today. We watched that and so we can study that same thing. So there were people that we watched that we didn't know personally that we could say, Okay, why that I like that move? How oh they made a mistake here? Ah, they broke up. What caused that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And so mentorship comes in different forms, like what you said about age, I think movies have kind of shaped what we think of mentorship. Right, everybody wants that that Obi wan Kenobe person right, Like, Yeah, it could be the guy sitting next to you, It could be the younger person that you thought you were mentoring. That is teaching you things about what leadership looks like, what dedication looks like, what commitment looks like. Because like it or not, people are watching. At every step of your life, people are watching, and so you got to be very conscious of that.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, for sure, thank you guys for playing with me. I love that And you guys gave some really good insight. So I want to go back to before your earn your leisure you talked about you guys have known each other since high school or was it before the high school? Middle school? Was this something that you guys knew then, like we're going to do something big? Did you have the foresight then or when did this idea come and take us on that journey of how we got here today?
Speaker 2: No, we always have a relationship hip as far as like doing stuff like we had companies before. That's support for people to understand as well. It's not the first company that we started it. We started a app for DJs called jock Drive that didn't work out. We started a fashion blog called fashion Wave that didn't work out. Real estate company. So, you know, I feel like if you're around somebody enough, if you're not actually actively trying to start a business or do something productive, that's a waste of relationship. It's only so much that you could talk about sports and entertainment and just having fun. So you know, we around each other every day pretty much forever, and other friends too. Like, you know, we come from a very close knit community, so we grew up with a lot of a lot of people that like we have brothers and sisters and everybody's kind of like cousins stuff like that. So as we got older and got you know, realizing that we didn't need to make money in this world, then you know, the interest was like, how can we you know, figure some things out, And so that was a that was a few things as far as like this is our idea. We already speak every day anyway, let's see if this works out. And then you learn from different things you know, you have some wins, some losses and say okay, this is this is something that we can we can you know perfect later on, but earn your leisure. You know, the relationship, Like I said, me and him already had a relationship. He's a teacher our trade. I was a financial advisor, so I was already working in finance and he was working with kids. So we teach. We were teaching financial literacy in the classroom. I was a financial advisor and my goal was to get more clients like sports and entertainment clients. So I started a campaign on social media, and I was doing a lot of different type of content on social media and built the social media following. So we had a relationship. From the classroom content and social media content was taken off and started to go viral. The public had asked for long form content like they would just see like clips where there was clips of teaching in the classroom, clips of me going on a public accession. I actually had a public access show. He was my first guest on my public access show. So the public demanded pretty much, I wouldn't say the man they requested. The public requested what you now know as earn leisure. So no, the plan wasn't to start earn your leadion. That was not the plan.
Speaker 1: This is a request from the public.
Speaker 2: It was an organic It was an organic thing that just happened originally. Like I said, from a social media standpoint, I'm just trying to grow my following to get more clients. From a teaching in the classroom standpoint, we were just doing that already because I was a financial advisor and he was a teacher. From the content standpoint, you kind of see what people like, and people really were into the type of content of like sports and entertainment, but like breaking down the backstories of sports and entertainment and talking about deals of fifty cent vitamin water deals and stuff like that. So the original goal was not to have a media company. But you know, sometimes in life you have to go with makes sense. So when you see that that's the direction you're getting pushed into, it's like why fight against it. So we listened to what, you know, the people wanted. And even when we started, it still wasn't a goal of like, Okay, we're gonna have the biggest podcast in the world and we're going to you know, it was still kind of an arm of the financial planning really, but it was like, let's do a show because why not? Like why not? It's not like a difficult thing to do, especially at that time, like we had a couple of iPhones, didn't we didn't have like one hundred thousand dollars cameras or something like that. Yeah, and then it really took off right away, and it was really changing people's lives right away, Like people were really locked in saying they were learning so much, saying that, you know, they was buying real estate and they never thought about money in the same way and they never knew that education could be entertaining at the same time. So from there then it's like, Okay, now we start to really think about this thing differently, and now it's a full leg media company business. How do we monetize? How do we grow?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All that I want to ask you. You talked about the failures and the things that didn't work, that didn't work. What did it feel like or what was that moment when you probably looked at each other and said this is working. What was it How did it feel to know that you had something that was successful that actually took both Like you talk about you may not understand what's happening, but it's it's going to work to where you're going. When you look back at that moment, like, how did that feel to realize that, Wait a minute, we've built something based on our backgrounds and now we're walking in our purpose.
Speaker 3: I think where you ended it is, well I'm going to start. It feels like you're walking in your purpose. If you think about what he's saying, financial advising, he was already in the world to find his education is my spiritual gift. I really believe that. So how do we combine that? Well, I did that for fourteen years, he's doing that for fourteen years. We had already walked in that path. The other businesses that didn't work. I never looked at the misfailures. I never had an expectation on them, like, let's create something together and let's see what we can build. What I learned from it is, outside of being a brother and a friend, how he is in business. Yeah right, so I know you know his dedication to something when he has his mindset. I understand the commitment to it. I understand the sacrifice that comes with it. If we can carry those intangible traits to the next thing. We're going to be successful. And so when we started Earn Your Leisure, I remember that the message that somebody put in the DM, where's the rest of this episode? We were like, what y'all got a podcast? And we were like, we never listened to them. Yeah, so we had to sit down and figure out how do we create it? And once we started creating it, okay, here comes the value add he had already built up community that was interested in it. And so the first thing I remember seeing, all right, we're putting this out. We're going to jump off this cliff. And it was like January of twenty nineteen, let's see if we can get one hundred people to listen, all right, Well, and like the first hour was one hundred people. First week, let's see if we can get two thousand people to listen. All right, we got twenty one hundred. Okay, let's see what we can do better. Next week. Let's see if we can do better. And by I think probably the tenth week, we got a message in the DM saying that, hey, you guys are in the top ten in the podcast charts.
Speaker 1: Wow, And I.
Speaker 3: Remember thinking to myself, there's a chart for podcasts, I just know, like Billboard, right, and then you see the emojis up there, like, oh, we got something here for sure. Let's keep going with it, not really figuring out here comes the media company a part, But how can we keep out added value, keep getting people's attention, start to become part of people's weekly regiment. Yeah right, because once we can start doing that, now we can start building. They know every Thursday this episode is coming out. They're looking forward to it. They can't wait to see it, they can't wait to listen, they can't wait to see the clips or repost it or start implementing some of the information that was being given. Then it started to be okay, what's next. Let's go touch our audience. Let's look at the analytics, let's go figure out where people are listening. All right, we saw Atlanta is an area, La is an area, Miami Philly. Let's treat this like what we saw when we were growing up in music, when people couldn't figure out how to reach their audience, they go to them. So let's go do some pop ups. Let's go touch the audience. Let's get some feedback from that. And then it just kept spiraling. Okay, what's the next thing we could do? What's the next thing we can do? And then obviously the empire started to build. Let's get some merchandising, because people number one will look at you for an hour. What if you had a message on your shirt? What if it was assets of liabilities? Right? And so now that became a slogan that became synonymous with us. Yes, earned your leisure was the brand, but now they have this message that goes along with it, and so you know, it just became the next thing, the next thing, and to what you see.
Speaker 1: Now, it's amazing. I love that you talked about you see how it's impacting people and people responding saying this is I'm using these I'm utilizing the principles that you guys are teaching us. At what point did you realize you were doing more than creative but you were also responsible for the information that you guys are putting out.
Speaker 2: At the beginning, you just definitely, you know, always looked at as a media company. You know, even on Instagram page. It wasn't like we were pointing out articles here, yes and different things. So it wasn't just clips of like content, so you know, and then you just evolved, You just learn as you go. But that was always the framework of like creating a community, yeah, earn your leisure. Like I said, even the beginning Instagram page, it was never just to promote the podcast. It was always you know, unrelated stuff like you know, we talk about business articles or highlight somebody else or show something like. So it was always more of an ecosystem than just a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I love that. I want to know what was one of the biggest decisions or most difficult decisions that you had to do to protect the vision in totality that you look back out now and it may not have been easy to make them, Mom, but you're like, I'm glad we made that choice.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 2: I mean you you know, you work with some people, then you don't work with the person like you know, you gotta some people. You know, you don't have a lasting relationship with every single person. Sure, so that's important. Somebody is not operating at the highest level possible, or if somebod.
Speaker 1: Who was the one to let them go? Is you? You seem like you the bad guy.
Speaker 3: You like, you gotta go, surprise, Let's keep this positive.
Speaker 2: You gotta do it.
Speaker 3: Somebody's got to do it.
Speaker 2: You gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's business. It's a part of it.
Speaker 2: It's just business. You can't you can't. You can't let somebody, Hey, you can't let somebody incompetent ruin your vision and be. You can't let somebody that's a cancer spread. You got to cut the cancer off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a word.
Speaker 3: That's so good. Yeah, I think that that. Yeah, when I listening to it. Yes, the most difficult part was putting people in position that they weren't qualified for.
Speaker 1: And we often do that because we want to believe in people and they want to work so bad. And then you get in any like you.
Speaker 3: Grow up together. You come up together your friends, and you want to make sure that your friends win and you want to see them be successful. But everybody's not meant to be in those positions, like you said, if they're unqualified. And it's funny when when when Tyler Perry came to invest Best, that was his message. Yeah, and when he said it, it resonated with me so strong, like wow, it's like, you can't bring them up to this level of success. They'll suffocate, they will. You're actually harming them by bringing them on this journey and so let them live their own journey. Keep doing what you have to do, keep your core together, and the people who are meant to be for you will come into your life and you can continue this thing going. So that that is That was that was difficult, and it still is because you still have relationships. Like you said, we're a close knit community. So we grew up with a lot of a lot of people that are watching this that you know, came on the journey with us, had time with us, are no longer with this. So that's been the most difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand, and whole Harley whole hardly agree. As a businesswoman, that is hard when you bring on people, especially people you know that came up with you. It's like, oh, we're going to do this together. And then you get in the thick of it and it's like okay, and you kind of see it, and sometimes they see it before you do. They're like, okay, it is I really ain't cut out for this. So it makes it easier, you know. But when you have to make that decision, it's just time to put you a big well for me, put a big penny. It's like let's do it. But that is always hard. I don't think it ever gets easy. It's always a hard thing to have to do.
Speaker 2: When and then also, never give somebody something that they don't deserve, because that's a lesson. It's extremely harmful because you would think that a person would have appreciation for something because they're like I technically I know I'm not qualified, but I don't deserve this. I know I didn't work hard for it. But what appens is that a funny thing happens when you get people something that they don't deserve, they think they deserve it.
Speaker 1: That's you.
Speaker 3: Know, people like that, that's good.
Speaker 1: That is a fact, that is so true that entitlement comes.
Speaker 2: And title, that's the word. That's the worst. That's the worst thing, that's the worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You start to start, you start trying to create different positions and different titles, and at the end of the day is like, why are we doing this?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Seriously? Yeah, literally, I'm like me because you do you start making up different positions like now we're gonna let's try this. It's like we're gonna You're not gonna do this because I can tell us a little, it's a lot. So we're gonna try this, but it does like you kind of try to figure it out and shift it around, but sometimes it's just not a fit. And you gotta you gotta trust that. Does a relationship keep going on outside of work, Okay, you can still be friends, we can be cool, but I mean, and that's on them if they want to continue relationship. Sometimes people's feelings get hurt and they don't want nothing to do with you after you could them let them go from a job. It is tough, yeah, but at the end of the day, it's the brand that you've built. You have to honor that. And if you're operating excellence, you can't how you talk about, you can't have people that aren't pulling their apart. You gotta make sure that everybody is pulling their weights.
Speaker 3: And if they were truly friends, that they want you to succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I've been lucky to have that where I've worked with friends and then when they lead it, it's like we're still good because like they're no, like I still want to see you in So I've been blessed in that area. I want to ask you this. I know a lot of times when we're looking to what we think is successful before we're actually successful, we have a different vision or I think I thought of what it is. What did you think success was before you became successful? Now that you are, you look at it totally different when you're like, no, this is I know what success is now and it wasn't what I thought it was back then.
Speaker 2: Was what I thought, so funny.
Speaker 3: Exactly how I dreamt.
Speaker 2: I like the Big Show online where he was like, if you ask me how I feel, I'm gonna just tell you it's everything that I expected. That's really what I really used as far as writing books, traveling. Of course, you can never like fully know or fully appreciativery little thing, but the idea of this, the whole reason why we started this whole thing like that was that was the vision. Yeah, I could speak for myself. I can't speak for Troy, but that was my vision, Like I really thought about, damn, we want to travel the world and write a book and do interviews. And it was pretty much.
Speaker 3: This is interesting. And I'll speak for both of us here. I think us being successful, especially to our community, isn't a surprise. I think they've watched us since we were teenagers. They've watched us as young men, they watched us as men, fathers, or it's not a surprise to them. They knew, They kind of saw that this would be the route for them. So like being successful, it was already in our brain. It wasn't an option that we weren't going to be. What was the route? He had visions for himself. I have visions for myself. I thought it would be in education. It kind of still isn't as he thought it was being. It still is in finance. The path we didn't know. The idea, the mindset of it was always there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now we talk about working with friends I want.
Speaker 2: But visualization is very important before because that's something that I'm a firm believer. I'm a very firm believer in that. Like I said, I was just like the Kanye West thing when he was like before I had it, I closed my eyes and imagine, yes, and I feel like that's powerful, like like all of these things, Like sometimes it's like almost day because like now that's my favorite rapper. Yes, Like to the point I named my son not here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then we develop a relationship with nos, We have dinner with him for six hours and all of that. But these are things that it's like I feel, I really really really firmly believe and like manifestation and like visualize it. That doesn't mean that you just sitting in your room and do nothing. Like I just think that that's going to be like the pathway to success. It's just dream all day. But stay positive. You can't, that's right.
Speaker 3: Keep it positive. This is this is this is interesting. As we were, as early leisure was turning in to what it is, my mom showed me a letter that I wrote in third grade. I still have it like it was nineteen ninety one. That might have aged me a little bit, but in the letter, it was me telling her that I'm going to be a millionaire, and when I've become a millionaire, I'm going to build a big house, and I'm going to build her a big house right next to it. So at nine years old, I'm thinking I'm going there.
Speaker 1: The vision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I said, the path is it going to be in sports? Because we love sports, we love entertainment. I'm not that great at writing rhymes, so that wasn't going to happen. Can it be in education? Okay, let's see what that path goes. But at nine years old, it's a writing in my mind. I'm going to be successful. I'm going to be a millionaire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's happening for sure. I love that. I love that you both saw it. And I'm big on visions too, like seeing things as a kid. I knew that I was going to be doing what i'm doing, not podcasting, but I knew I was going to be acting, singing. I was like, I'm going to be an entertainer. And my parents were like girl, but they were like, this is what you want to do. Well, make sure you're in dance class. We're gonna put you in the choir. They gave me the tools I needed to be able to develop the skills for it. But it was also something that I saw as a kid and I just always knew and it was nobody. I don't care what anybody said. They could say, oh, I'm not sure you can do that. I'm like, I can, Yeah, Oh I don't really like that, And I was like I do. Like it didn't matter what anybody thought.
Speaker 3: The moment didn't surprise you, It did not surprise me.
Speaker 1: No. Somebody asked, we did something the other day here at the studio for influencers, and they asked are you basically are you surprised at where you are now? And I'm like no, like this is something I always saw for myself, and I'm big on writing things down to Actually, in the third grade, I wrote Oprah and my very first job here, Oprah and Tyler had worked. They were working together on the Have and Have Nots and he was doing shows for the own network. So she was literally one of my first bosses when I moved here and now I've had like multiple conversations, hung out with her plenty of times. But as a kid, I got denied going to the op Winfrey Show. I was like, Hey, I used.
Speaker 3: To have to tape Oprahnfrey Show at four o'clock every day for my mom or your mom. Yeah on that VC yes, And if I missed it, it was an issue, No big issue, an issue.
Speaker 1: That was one of my favorite shows, like after school I could not wait. Yeah, but no, I'm with your mom on that. That was gonna be a problem.
Speaker 3: That's a problem. It's a problem.
Speaker 1: I love that. So you two have been friends for a long time. We talked about working with friends and giving friends opportunities. I want to know how you all have protected your friendship and doing business together, because a lot of times we see friends go into business and then the friendship just is done because it doesn't last. How have you protected that and what are some tips that you can give other people who are going in the business together.
Speaker 3: I think the two words that come to mind that trust and respect. I respect them to the highest level, and I trust them to the highest level right outside of business, like if I needed somebody to be around my family if something happens to me, I know that they're gonna be taken care of it and gonna make sure that the understanding our strengths and our waitnesses. That's key. And sometimes you see strength in other people and you realize, oh, I'm not good at that, And you could look at it a few ways. You can say, Okay, I want to be as good as that person, or in my case, I looked at it as he's great at that, Let me find something else to be great at because if I bring that asset with his, we are really a superpower. And so understanding that, you know, having dialogue, making sure that communication is there, checking in on each other, you know, outside of work. What people see, how you're doing, how you doing, Like, how you're feeling okay, Like I know there's some stress going on, You good? How can I help? Just pouring into each other in that way which people don't see.
Speaker 1: It's so important, so especially as black men, because nobody's checking on y'all. Y'all are taking care of everybody.
Speaker 3: I think that gets overlooked. This is something that's happening with two black men. Yes, instead of that, we're going to do something together and have been pretty much together for thirty years. Now, where do we see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, So, like we understand the magnitude of that, We understand the responsibility of that, We understand the people that are watching just look at us and say, you guys are our mentors. You are the blueprint on how to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like family, family doesn't break up, Like it's impossible. If family breaks up, it was never family. So you could have you know, a disagreement, or you could even go separate ways like you know sometimes in life, like you know, it doesn't mean that you hate it, but what you see online, like you know, people was best friends, they was business partners. Now they slammed each other every chance that they get in, they telling their the deepest secrets and you know, to me, like, I'm like, to me, you was never family. I can't do that, Like that's like your mom, Like now you're gonna go online just start slammer in your mom because you don't like it. You got disagreement in the moment, like that question that that to me is questionable about your character. So I think too much is built around too much. It's just built around not knowing how to de escalate situations because a lot of times it's not even that serious. A lot of situations just broken up just over not knowing how to communicate properly. You know, it's like not knowing how to ask for you know, what you want to ask for, or just saying I don't agree with this, or you know, just really like having an uncomfortable conversation coming back apologizing about something, Like you know, a lot of things could have just been avoided if you think about it's not even that serious. But they'll go to the end of the world to try to publicly slander up a person. And it's like who benefits from that? So you know, it happens all the time happens in this space you see. Podcaster is like breaking up. You see music people break up. You see like you know all the time people you know, people break up all the time. And like I said, there's ways to break up. There's ways to break up if that's needed. But we need to learn what we as a community. We need to learn better conflict resolution skills, absolutely, and we need to understand governance, respect governance, Like we gotta have better ways of dealing with each other because it is problematic, like we can't even work together. How we're going to change anything, like in all real and like really really affect real change. We can't even come together and not you know, break up after eighteen months.
Speaker 1: Right, that's so true. If y'all can give me a quick story and there's.
Speaker 2: No benefit in it, that's the last thing. As far as just from a pure selfish standpoint, nine times out of ten, it doesn't work out when you break up very few people the band breaks up, and then you're more successful. It happened once in a like you got Beyonest, you got Michael Jackson outis right. Most of the time. Most of the time you make less money, you become less successful, you get nobody cares about you anymore. It doesn't that's it doesn't work. So it's like, just from a pure selfish standpoint, it's actually better just to keep the band together. Like you, if you're getting thirty percent, that thirty percent, I'd rather take thirty percent for twenty years than one hundred percent for eighteen months, because that when people break up, they're like, I could do this on my own. I'm a bigger star, I got a bigger name, and then it's like, all right, now you're on your own, and then your run is eighteen months. But if you had a nice, consistent run for twenty.
Speaker 1: Years, yeah, it's different.
Speaker 2: Nobody's complaining. So that's important for people to understand. Like before you, before you in that relationship, if all else fails, just think from a selfish standpoint, it's nine it's not going to work. Ninety percent chance is not going to work. So you're better off just working it out all vision.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's some relationships to like and relate like not just platonic. Like sometimes it's like work it out, you know, because you get out there and you're like, just look it up, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that real well hits you.
Speaker 1: Listen, right, you trying to run back home? Right, that's what they think.
Speaker 3: Are still folded right.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious. You talked about disagreements, and I want to know if you could tell us like a story time that may be funny now, where you had a disagreement on something but it actually ended up benefiting the brand, where you're like, man, I'm glad we got through that, but that was a heated moment.
Speaker 3: I don't know they're heated moments. Like I said, I know, I'm so well that I know how I'm a pro something that there's a disagreement and we don't. The interesting part is that we don't agree most of the time. Really. I think people watch it and they think, oh, these guys think alike. But in real life when people around us, we debate back and forth most of the time.
Speaker 1: Now, are y'all real New Yorkers When you have because New York is allowed, you don't even seem like you raise your voice.
Speaker 3: He gets love, Yeah, But I mean that's how we've always spoken to each other. That's how we communicate. And I think again, it goes back to the respect. It's not like, oh you lost that debate. It's just like, oh, that was good, all right, let's can't wait for the next one. Yeah, But you know, if there is a disagreement and it's something that needs to be spoken about, it's going to be between me and him. It's gonna be a phone call. That's something like I'm pulling up to your house. Let's have this conversation, and let's see perspective. Let's look at this perspective. We'll go back and forth because I guess we both have that stubborn trait like I want you to hear my point. I want to hear my point. But are we listening to each other? Right? It's one thing to be heard, but are you listening? And it's usually resolved. There's never been something that is, oh I hate you, don't talk to me. Ever, again, I don't think there's been a time where it's like I'm not speaking to him, you know, so, because there's a respecting.
Speaker 2: But then also I think that it's not really too much of like there is a level of governance because it's like we have different roles and responsibilities. Like he's a numbers guy, he handles the money, he handles operations, people, analytics, variety of different things. We at other people too, like ab, he's here with us. We got you know, we got a team. We got a whole team. It's not just us, it's a whole team. Different people have different delegations and different things in that nature. And me, I'm a creative, so I'll give everybody credit. Like, because I don't think people stepped on people's toes too much, I can speak for me. I don't feel like my toes get stepped on too much. Like I feel like if I have an idea, I have a pretty good track record, and I feel like as long as I communicated successfully, it's not really too many times where they'll be like, no, you can't do this. It's pretty much never that. That's never really the case. So I don't think that it's ever been a situation where it's been like a full fledge like this is the way that we're going. Oh no, this is the way that we're going, and then it's like, you know, there's not really too much of that because I think people people know their strong suits, people know what they're best at, people know what they're responsible for, and you gotta have some trust, got to trust the process for sure, you can't. You can't. It's not going to work. Like if your job is to do something and I'm telling you like, no, this is I'm telling you, this is what I want to do. Well, that's not your job anymore. That's my job. I've essentially taken your job. So I feel like that's helped us too, because it hasn't really been It's not too much like really like you know, sometimes it's things, but for the most part, if we want to get something through, it's not really an issue to get it through.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be you a phone call. I'm great what he's said because when people look at it, they see the creative part and then it's like, well, how do we get it done?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like who's like, we got to source of those ideas? All right? Great, I could say like, let me go be creative, let me try, but I'm like, oh, he's great at that. Yeah, let's see if we can get these ideas done. Because if he comes up with the idea and we can execute on it, now we've got something right that the world gets the benefit from. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, for sure, for sure, speaking of something that the world benefits from, you all are not just pouring into today's like to what people are doing now and entrepreneurs that are working now, but you're also pouring into the future. This year it invests fast. You guys have junior high school students, high school students that you're pouring into. Let's talk about that. I think that's very important. I'm really big on making sure that we pour into the youth because they are our future. Tell you more about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of one of those things where we wanted to go back to where it all started. You know, people see invest Fast and they think, wow, this is for adults and I have to have money, and you know, are my kids allowed to come? And you know, we kind of looked at as an opportunity to educate the youth, which is where it all started again, making sure that they understood the principles behind entrepreneurship, business networking. And so when the idea came about was how do we do this. Do we create a separate event or do we make it something inside of something that's already existed. I think the opportunity presented itself when we looked at the calendar and said we got to you know, investst moved up a little bit this year. You know, Atlanta schools are going back. At the same time, we're now doing investmentest So the opportunity said, okay, well we've done this. We've brought kids from our community down, we brought kids from you know, the Bronx in Brooklyn down. Why are we leaving out the greater Atlanta region. Don't they need opportunities? Don't they need ideas? And so we've created a pretty much a mini investments where they're going to have panels, we have a pitch competition, and we're looking to inspire a generation that is going to you know, be very different than ours. Yes, right, the social media, the creator economy, AI, all that is prevalent in their in their environment. Now are they getting education about it? So we're bringing experts in the same way for investments. We have speakers and like I said, we have some really good, good ideas. In terms of the give back, I don't want to give everything away, but it's going to be definitely a give back because it's important. Once they see it, they can't unsee it, all right, and so let's let's let's put them in an environment where they can see it. Now, go back to their school, go back to the community. Number one, inspire, but aspire to be something. They might see somebody on the stage and that's exactly who I want to be. I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel about it? Excited about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: For sure. It's just you know, every year from investments, we add something there, so just in general, we just add something. So we added the pitch competition a few years ago, we added Friday programming, a few years ago, we added workshops. So this is the first and it grows every year too. So first, yeah, it was just Saturday and Sunday. Now it's Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, wow, Thursday with the kids. So it's just becoming like a whole week of activities.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And this year you are expecting like over fifty thousand or is it more than that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, per day, So we had like twenty five No, it's like twenty Last year it was twenty five thousand people. But you know how festivals calculated, they do it per day, so over the course of the weekend, it's like you do that number, then you tie two whatever it is. So yeah, you know, we're looking at that same range twenty twenty five thousand people per day. Yeah, four hundred vendors. We got the kids event on.
Speaker 1: We do we gotta move in the invensments. Okay, he's a venus. I'm like, wait, okay. I'm like, we got some stuff we can say.
Speaker 3: We go overcord that conversation.
Speaker 2: We still got a few left, so let's get you out.
Speaker 1: Make it happened in no I remember the first time I went. I came through the back and then I went out to see what was going on. It was so overwhelming though, it was like a sea of people. I was like, oh my gosh, Like I didn't know the magnitude of what you all had built until I saw it myself. And Keanu Watson is a really close friend of mine, and every year Morning Investments I gotta speak and I was like okay. And when I went with Tyler, I was like, this is bananas. I was like, this is insane. So you guys have moved the dates up. What's the dates for this year?
Speaker 2: August seventh through August ninth.
Speaker 1: August seventh through the ninth beginning.
Speaker 2: The beginning of August, and we have vi P Night. This year is different. It's black. Todd Galla oh nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love gallery honoring t I honoring Jamaine Dupree, Keisha Lamb's bottom.
Speaker 1: I love all them. That's amazing. I love have you giving back to this performing? Listen? Our ticket is still available? Can people still come the club? Get your tickets?
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a good time, and I've I feel like we're at the age where we want to get. We want to have our grown and sexy nights, put our tuxedos and our gowns on, you know, and be adults.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I love it, but also learning and being able to take something with us and apply it because I think now more than ever, people are thinking differently about money. They can thinking different about wealth no matter where they are in their life. A lot of times people thought that if they had to be millionaires or having six figure job salaries to actually build wealth. But now we're teaching people you can start where you are, and I think that's very important. So I love what you guys are doing. We're definitely gonna I'm putting it on the record, We're gonna try to get a booth. All right, okay, perfect? Now I want to be a part of it. So thank you. Guys so much for sitting down talking with this before we close. Is there anything else that we need to be on the lookout for where we can support you? You know you got the podcast invest Fast, but is there anything else that we can support?
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us you invest Fast. You know, there's still a few vendor booths available, still some tickets available.
Speaker 1: So there's one less available, one last because yeah, y'all better hurry up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's just a it's just a magical moment every year. It's just to host it and be a part of it. And man, the networking opportunities is amazing, you know, to learn so much from so many high powered individuals just to be in a room. It's just it's just a great energy, it's a great feel, and it's life changing experience. So Hoighy would encourage people to do that. Go to invest Fest dot com and then earn your leader. You can check us out on all social media platforms. On YouTube, we have content that we put out pretty much every day. We have three shows and we're always doing something. We have a book called on you Just Have to Be Rich, So check that out if you're if you're you know, looking for some reading material. It's it breaks down everything that we talk about in story form and it goes from A to Z and financial planning journey. Nice.
Speaker 1: We have to add that to our Sweie Social Club book club.
Speaker 3: In addition to the youth something that would happen, we also have curriculum HM and so we're going to be sitting in the curriculums academy because one of the things we knew about being in school is that no one taught about financially and so where we saw a problem, here's a solution. And so we're going to be debuting it here in Atlanta. So if you're in a school district in the Greater Atlanta region or in the state of Georgia, you know, definitely get us up about that.
Speaker 2: Shout out to n Shout out to the brother in market mondays Man, number one investment show every Monday, eight o'clock, and shout out to Blackout. That's the newest show that we have. That's nine o'clock on Wednesday, and that's a that's more edgy.
Speaker 1: I like that. After hours, Yeah.
Speaker 2: After hours for sure, late night, late night show.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Now, where can they find that?
Speaker 2: Lesia?
Speaker 1: Okay, all leisure listening platforms, media company. There you go, get into it a part of the platform. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. A lot of people come to invest fast and you know organically you just you meet people, right, and a lot of people meet significant others. So we wanted to just for yeah, we wanted to foster it in a more structured way. So then we got a singles lounge for single people that's looking to meet. So if you if you're a woman and you're looking to meet an intentional man that's ambitious, right, mindset, finances in order, guy's investments right.
Speaker 3: Like folios looking great.
Speaker 2: Life insurance, taking care of all the things. And then if you're a man and you're looking for you know, a woman that got a head on her shoulders, that's about a business that's you know, doing the right things, focused, prayed for this moment. It's no better place. So yeah, we're definitely excited about that.
Speaker 1: I love now y'all vetting the people or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we partner you know, you know Kendrick g Yeah, she's gonna be she's hosting it. She's hosting it, Okay, so it's gonna it's gonna be fun too.
Speaker 1: She's so much fun.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun. It's gonna be it's gonna be a vibe.
Speaker 1: Okay, I might have to slide into this. See what y'all got up in there?
Speaker 3: Research and development? Of course, this is all research.
Speaker 1: I love it. Now, that's fire. I love it. Was that side.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what. I always wanted to do the singles lounge thing, but talking to Kendra and she was like, Yo, why don't we do this? And it was just like, you know what, we should do this. Yeah, So I gotta give the credit to Kendra. So she's the one that she's the one that actually told me about it, and when she proposed it to me, it was a no brainer to everybody just says like, yeah, why not, that's just perfect. So I shot out to kendred Man.
Speaker 3: She's incredible. She hosted a pitch competition a few years ago and it was like a gap in between presenting and she kind of just like improv too, started doing it and we were watching the backstage like that's genius. Yes, that's fire, come up, tell me about who are you looking for? And then the participation for the audience, we were just standing there like that's something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her energy is so good. That's I love that you say every night Thursday through Sunday Sunday, are you still in here? But I was just trying to was saying, I gotta see the gotta see what's coming through the doors.
Speaker 2: Every Yes, you got on Sunday all all the eligible bachelors and didn't make a decision at the at.
Speaker 3: The something you know.
Speaker 1: Sunday, we don't know.
Speaker 2: You have your draft. You gotta have your draft card.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Going to something that is so good. All right, we're definitely checking that out.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Okay, we're definitely checking it out. I love that. Guys. I just want to say, I know this is our first time really sitting down and talking. I'm so proud of y'all. Just listening to your journey, seeing everything you've been able to accomplish, and then even hearing how you all speak on conflict resolution, on how you handle business, how you handle people. I can tell, and I don't quote me if I'm wrong, but I can tell you've done the work. Like it sounds like two men that have probably gone to therapy, have talked to people who have community, and I can tell by the way you handle yourselves. I'm like, these are two guys that can know how to put the ego aside and really be brothers. And it's good to see. I really love seeing it.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank yes, thank you guys so much. Make sure guys check out investments this August seventh through the ninth. If you're in Atlanta. If you're not, just catch a flight. Drive it's not far from a lot of places pull up on them. It's a few vendor boots left, minus one, because I'm gonna get one and get your tickets, get your black tied ladies, get your gowns, and come on and have a good time. It's gonna be fun. I'm excited for you guys. I hope this year is bigger than ever. Thank you so much, Yes, thank you. This conversation reminded me that wealth isn't just measured by what you accumulate. It's measured by what you build and what you teach. Thank you both for your honesty and your leader, And thank you to everyone listening. If this conversation encouraged you or inspired you to be sure to subscribe, leave a comment, and share this episode with someone who is building something bigger. Than themselves. And don't forget, the Sweeti Social Club is officially open. If you've been rocking with us and you want to be even more connected with the kids family, this is for you. Follow us on Instagram at Sweetie Social Club and until next time, you guys already know, keep it pausa Sweetie