Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: So you said that ninety five percent of the customers of the world are outside of America. And obviously we met you in Ghana, and you know, obviously you were on uh Obama Obama's team and now you're you're with the chain of commerce, so you have a good perspective of businesses, black businesses in America. Right, what do you think are some of the issues that let's talk about black businesses specifically when it comes to black business because I have a theory that a lot of black businesses just start they start the wrong type of business, right, They're not scalable. They're not designed to reach our international audience. They're more like mom and pop local situations where you just become an employee of your of just yourself, and that's difficult to scale. So looking at it from you know, your view, what are some of the things that black businesses are doing wrong? And how can they improve to compete in this global economy that way in now you know you're right, I mean.
Speaker 4: I mean the raality is most black owned businesses are small, I mean, one, two, three employees.
Speaker 2: They're in services, professional services, and in that nature.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I think part of the problem is that we've not been exposed to some of this knowledge, and it is that exposure I think that is extremely important. I mean again, I mean, you think about the international marketplace where ninety five cent consumers are Nobody ever taught me how to think about exporting an international trade. I mean it was when I after the day after the inauguration of Present Obama and I was going the architects of his first campaign. We didn't have a commerce secretary, and I was asked to go hold down the fort at the United States Department of Commerce. And probably within three four months, the International Department approached me as the highest ranking official at the Department of Commerce and says, you know, because you're the highest ranking political appointee from President Obama, you're going to have to lead this trade mission to India. Hell I never really been much out of the United States and Colinilla out in Bahamas and plays like that, So that was my really first experience and understanding and going to Mumbai and Shannai and New Delhi and places like that and understanding even you know, the idea of been exposed to trade and business in another country.
Speaker 2: And since then I've been totally immersed in it.
Speaker 4: But my point is saying that one of the barriers or one of the ways, we just have to.
Speaker 2: Rethink how we do business.
Speaker 4: That means how we start businesses, follow the money follow the opportunities. And again I think, you know, foreign and exporting is a unique and new but valuable opportunity. It must be to our growth strategy. And you know, and this is you know, one of the issues I got oftentimes with with with leaders. I mean, you know, whether it's I mean you all, I've heard you all talk about our political leaders.
Speaker 2: I mean, folks don't come.
Speaker 4: To our churches and communities talking about China and Indian trade and exporting.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And we have to change that and demand the conversation that brings more dialogue and knowledge and assets and resources from all of these federal agencies. Good friend of mine, Rita Joe Lewis, is the very black woman chair of the Export Import Bait.
Speaker 2: Most people in America don't even know what that is.
Speaker 4: And so one of the goals that I have is like bridging this knowledge gap with the information that exists in getting that information to our black owned enterprise across the country. It's just a knowledge gap as well, because we know we don't have a lack of businesses, but we do have a lack of high growth businesses that are competing in these industries that are not only shaping and changing America, but shaping and changing the world.
Speaker 5: You spoke about the exposure piece that I think that's vitally important, right, and the education comes with that, right when you go to doo place here is you get to learn new things. So you spoke about India and China, but we met you in Africa. So what are your thoughts around the rising economies there, the workforce, the opportunities. Right when we're talking about import export, we're talking about business development. What are your thoughts around Africa and maybe specifically in Ghana.
Speaker 4: Listen, I think Africa, you know, is the new economy of the world. You know, we have a whole US Africa Business Center at the US Chamber Comrace that strategically focuses on countries across the content of Africa. And you know, whether it's Ghana or Rwanda or other parts of Africa, it's just rich with an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I mean, you mentioned workforce.
Speaker 4: I think one of the most fascinating things that that we need to recognize as the average age across the continent is only nineteen years of age. And when you think about the aging workforce in America, the workforce is shrinking, is becoming younger, the workforce in other countries around the world is shrink shrinking. We have to think about Africa and these young people as being the future of work across the continent, but around the world. So I do think Africa is just rich with opportunity, and you're right, even in Ghana. I mean, I spent a lot of time meeting with some of the local entrepreneurs there and and.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things I've learned is again it's not a.
Speaker 4: Lack of innovators and entrepreneurs, but it's capital and a small.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 2: Erners what's up?
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash euyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be a to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 5: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 4: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security, of capital that we can get into the hands of some of those young innovators and entrepreneurs in Ghana and just invaluable. So we're working on that part and that whole constructor ecosystem that I talked around talked about and getting more a black owned business and connected the corporate supply chain that actually extends across to the Aspera And that is one of my priority as well. How can we get those entrepreneurs in the continent doing business across to the Aspera. And so yeah, I think Africa is the future. I really believe that, and the data is clear, and I think we have to lean in on America policy, but as well as drive more American investment into Africa and understand for us as entrepreneurs what the opportunity is to export from Africa could mean to the United States and across the world.
Speaker 6: If someone's inspired tonight watching you, what would be like the five best businesses to build in god or on the content of Africa for this year, in this decade.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think it's just everything man.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously the number one if you look at again, we're investment and that's one of the measures that I look at from the United States and other countries.
Speaker 2: Energy. It's just cute.
Speaker 4: Africa has such a tremendous need for energy. I mean, you guys have been across the content. I imagine it's not uncommon for you to lose power, you know, at night or this, and you cannot have business without sources of energy. So I think in energy, whether that's in solar or other types of energy, is just wide open. I think in infrastructure, it's another area that's just rich with opportunity. I mean, you don't have to travel too far, you know, from ocraa Ghana or another rule parts to know that you know the roads and bridges and how we think of infrastructure, to include the technology infrastructure, it's just why open for investment and opportunities. Another area that you know, I think sometimes we sleep on is kind of demystifying the products that we can export from Africa, not only in terms of aron, minerals and all of those kinds of things, but what about clothing. And I mean I've been working with the system from Africa on Horche butler exports and it's just all kinds of products like that. I laugh and I laugh at myself because I got fascinated with this certain brand of cookie that's made in Africa that's more healthy than perhaps a lot of cookies, and I have a cookie addiction. But imagine that we can get a product like that in corporate supply chains. I don't know, you know, you know it's not uncommon. Obviously, when you're flying on an airplane, you'll always get that little bisc off cookie. I'm trying to disrupt that, and you can get just small things like that that we just don't think about the products that we can import from the continent of Africa and Ghana in particular, because that's where you know, we all met.
Speaker 2: I just think it's rich. Did you have to rethink?
Speaker 4: And then the last thing I want to say about Africa, and you know, we have a whole road show called Advancing with Africa. Some of this is about demystifying and debunking our perception of Africa. And so we have a whole effort to try to demystify and debunk a lot of perceptions that we have about the continent. But you've been there, I mean you sold firsthand. I mean, Africa just rich with economic opportunity.
Speaker 2: And we're going to lean in on it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just I want to add to that too. I just feel like, because that's a common question, I feel like the best thing that people can do is go to any country. Well, like let's say Ghana. Go to Ghana just as a tourist and just make ops. I was just there, just making observation that you said, the infrastructure. That's one of the things that I noticed a lot of times. Most people will look at something that's like, oh, this the road is bad. But an entrepreneur, I look at it like that's an opportunity to start paving roads right, or like they don't really have sidewalks, Okay, that's an opportunity for sidewalks. There's one thing that I noticed that I don't want to speak about publicly because I actually have an idea about this, but I just got to figure out. But I say that to say I think that everybody should go if you're interested, because that's the question I get, like what business should I start? What business should I start? We met that, We met somebody that was telling us about a gentleman that started a porter potty business and made billions of dollars off of porter partties because there was no porter partties in Ghana at that time. And then all the construction sites, you know you need porta potties. Who's thinking about that right?
Speaker 2: Like this hard?
Speaker 3: It would be hard for somebody to tell you go to Africa and start a porta potty business. But if you're if you're in the business and you go there and you realize that there's no porter partties, that you might say, oh, this is a business that's worth starting. But there's so many I think things that are needed, right that is really up to you to kind of figure out what you're passionate about, what you have knowledge about, what you have relationships about. But the best way, like you said, just to demystify the situation is to actually get on the ground, talk to the locals, take a trip ride, see what's going on, be observant, and then you, as an intelligent person, can kind of make your own decision.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christinoman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security under President Trump. Attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,