Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkschen, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dad, good to catch up with you. Y. It's great to see you. Jeff.
Speaker 3: You've shaved mustache and beard. You look like you're fourteen years old now even though you're thirty two.
Speaker 2: But it's quite all right. You look great.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, Dad. I've been our family has been a little bit under the weather this weekend, and I just feel like when I finally start to get better, I just I take a long shower, I cut it all off on the beard and just try to start anew. And so I'm finally feeling a little bit better. But I'm so stoked because of where we are in the playoffs right now. That's the only thing keeping my head up every single evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: So Monday night, I covered my twenty fifth Game seven of my career, and again, Jeff, without being corny, am I the luckiest guy in the world that I've covered twenty five game sevens. I went back and looked at every Game seven I ever covered. I can vividly recall every one of the twenty five and the latest one was just the whole series was just so so great. And again, Jeff, without being corny, what really strikes me when I go to these huge games is I walk through the crowd now after games I didn't get to use to do that normally, and I see the fans and I recognize again, Jeff, how important this is to them that they went to a Game seven or a Game six in Seattle. Jeff, when I walked through that crowd in Game six at T Mobile Park in Seattle, I walked past hundreds and hundreds of fans, and there were fathers and sons there together, and fathers and daughters seven years old, and they went to the game with their dad or their mom, and they're never gonna forget that the rest of their lives, that they were there the night that cal Ralely hit the home run, they were there the night that Juhanio Suarez hit the biggest home run in the history of the Mariners. And same thing with Blue Jay fans. I mean walking through the Rogers Center and seeing all those people, absolutely maniacal baseball fans about the Blue Jays, it just warms my heart that not just what I do for a living actually matters. But this game is so great and it's so beautiful that people cared deeply about their team. And Toronto is a better place to live when the Blue Jays are this good. Seattle is a better place to live when the Mariners are this good. It was just breathtaking to watch the entire series, as imperfect as it was, it was fascinating at every turn, and there were turns all the way through.
Speaker 1: It ain't that the truth, Dad, I mean, I have to admit having one series as a sweep and one series go to seven games, it kind of messes with your mind a little bit because now, heading into the World Series, you've got a team that's been hanging out for a little while and a team that pretty much just finished a very intense seven games. And I think that's going to really play into the dynamic when the Dodgers take over again the world on Friday during the World Series. It's gonna be a really we.
Speaker 3: Have a theory as baseball writers, Jeff, that if you're gonna play six games, you know we're gonna take a travel day and we're gonna travel again. They took a red eye flight from Seattle to Toronto, if we're gonna play six, then we have to play seven, Like those are the rules. We've had some of the greatest game sixes of all time, including Joe Carter in this ballpark with the home run to end the ninety three World Series. But if you're gonna go six, we got to go seven. And we went seven in this series, and the series, of course, was won by the Toronto Blue Jays. Jeff and I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was by the Blue Jays in this postseason. You know, keep in mind they finished in the last place in their division last year. And John Schneider, they're really affable and smart. Manager told us that he walks to the ballpark some days and other days he drives to the ballpark. And he got a little superstitious that after losing, you know, the two games here one and two, that he was going to walk to the ballpark for Game six, and he got a bunch of hey, good to see you, good luck, and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 3: Last year, I drove to the ballpark an awful lot because I didn't want to come back.
Speaker 2: I was going to be.
Speaker 3: Happy, but the Blue Jays won for a bunch of reasons. Number one, Jeff, they can really hit. And when I say hit, Jeff, they batted two to sixty five as a team during the regular season. That was the highest average in Major League Baseball. And even though we don't pay attention to that, I do. I think it's important. It means they put the ball in play. Unlike most teams, Jeff, they scored more runs than they had strikeouts in their eleven games. That's almost impossible to do in this day and age where the strikeout rate is unbelievably high. They put the ball in play. And of course, leading the way is vlag Guerrero Junior, who had one of the greatest postseasons at least leading into the World Series that I know I've ever seen. It just included power. He didn't barely struck out. It was remarkable. As Miles Straw of the Blue Jays told me, he said, Vlattie has power and Vladdie is a pest. Now it's hard to be both, Jeff. You know, if you're five foot five like me you or five six like you, your only hope is to be a pest at the plate. But when you're six two two forty like Fladdie, and you've got great power and you're fouling off pitches and not striking out. That's really impressive. And the other thing about him, Jeff, is people look at him and still think that he's some heavy set, overweight on athletic first baseman, and nothing could be further from the truth. I watched him play first base eleven straight games, and man, can he play that position defensive. He's already won a Gold Glove. He's a Goal glob finalist this year. He's also faster than most people think he is, because I saw him scoring from second on a single. And Jeff, if you think you could beat him in a race.
Speaker 2: You've got to be kidding me, because.
Speaker 3: He can run, and he's a very instinctive player. He's got a great feel for the game. Of course he should because his father is Vlatim Mayor Guerrero senior, who's a Hall of Famer. So and the famous throw that Addison Barger made from right field to third base to cut down Josh Naylor a critical out in Gay four. That was Vlaguerreo pointing throw it to throw it to third and not throw it to the plate. So he's a very instinctive player. He's a really good player. And yet I was taken even more by Ernie Clement, the second baseman, third baseman, utility infielder, everyday player who was didn't hit the homers that Vlaguerrero did, but was almost as productive. Talk about a pest at the plate. He swings at pitches all the time. We asked him, like, where does that come from? You swing it all the time. Put the ball in play, and I think we can all appreciate this. Jeff, he played coach pitch the first year and the rules were you get three pitches, that's it, and so you're up there to swing. His dad told him, hey, you're only getting three, you got to swing.
Speaker 2: It's something.
Speaker 3: So Ernie Clement went up there hacking away, which I just love, and we got to repeat youe Ernie. Ernie Clement plays with a glove that he bought on eBay. We can't say that enough times because it still just absolutely dazzles me that this is where he is and he's someday he's going to make a lot of money doing playing this game. But more important, he's getting a lot of respect. It's a guy who can really hit and really play defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, I think that clip on social media blew up of you talking about him getting the glove off of eBay, and a lot of people were saying, hey, sometimes players don't want that stiff glove. They want they want somebody to do the work for them and have it already broken in.
Speaker 2: I love it. That's so great.
Speaker 3: So the Blue Jays go to the World Series for the first time since ninety three. They won back to back ninety two ninety three, and this is the fourth team ever, fourth team ever in a full season to win a best of seven series, having lost the first two games at home. So congratulations to the Blue Jays and they are.
Speaker 2: Off to play the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: It's an exciting time for all these fan bases and I'm so looking forward to Friday for a World Series matchup. It's going to be just amazing. Well, speaking of the World Series matchup, dadd in our takeaways the series, it seems to have ended months ago at this point. The Dodgers and the Brewers a sweep four games. Incredible pitching. I won't take your thunder Dodger stake now.
Speaker 2: I talked to it.
Speaker 3: One of the Dodger guys at the beginning of the playoffs, and he said, look, we didn't play very well this year. We weren't the best team this year. But he said, we have the best run value roster. That's a saber metric term, a deep analytics turn, the best run.
Speaker 2: Value roster of all time.
Speaker 3: In the history of baseball. And it's hard to explain that, but I listen to him, and since then, they went nine to one the Dodgers did in the playoffs. They had a two point four or five ERA way lower for the starting pitchers, who were virtually unhittable in three rounds of the playoffs, the wild Card, the LDS, and the LCS. Ninety two innings pitched Jeff in this postseason, fifty six hits allowed, that's absurd, thirty eight walks at one hundred and four strikeouts. This is some of the best starting pitching that we've ever seen. And what they did to the Brewers was just unfair.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The Brewers, Jeff, let's understand, had the best record in Major League Baseball. They are gritty, they are grinders. They ever get bat for them is a fistfight, and they got absolutely overwhelmed by the Dodgers pitching specifically, in the rotation four games, Jeff, the Brewers scored a total of four runs, they got a total of fourteen hits, they struck out forty one times in four games, and they batted as a team one to eighteen. That's how domb it. The only comparable is the nineteen six hitless Wonders the Chicago White Sox who played the Cubs in the nineteen six World Series, and in their first four games it was very similar to what the Brewers went through, but miraculously the White Sox came back to win that World Series in six games over the crossdown Cubs. The difference is the hitless Wonders. Jeff for the season for the season batted two thirty and hit seven home runs. Seven home runs the whole year. So that explains how they could get shut down in the early nineteen hundreds by good pitching. You go one hundred and twenty years later, it's just remarkable what the Dodgers did to the Brewers. And you were watching, Jeff, the team that beat your team, the Phillies. I mean, any Philly fan can look at this and say, well, we got steamrolled, because they're steamrolling Everyone agreed.
Speaker 1: Pitching wins in October. We've heard this a million times, Dad, and people are complaining, Oh, well, if the bats aren't, it's you got can't think about it. Your team's bats. You got to think about it. Your team's inability to hit the pitchers. They're two different things, believe it or not. And if we've said it one Dad, we said it a million times on this podcast. Pitching is as good now as it's ever been.
Speaker 3: Well, stuff that we see now is just so unbelievably good. And speaking of unbelievable, Jeff, what Shohei Otani did. We're like five days late on this, so we're not going to belabor this, but I think we have to say without hesitation that his three homer game in Game four of the LCS was the greatest game ever played by a play in the history of the sport, because Jeff, three homers in a game has only been done once by a pitcher in the modern era. That's nineteen hundred nine. Guy Hecker did this in the eighteen hundreds, but nineteen forty two, Jim Tobin hit three home runs in one game as a pitcher. He almost hit a fourth in that game, by the way, and the game before he hit a home run as like a pinch hitter, I believe, so he almost hit like he almost hit five homers in like six at bats. It was some absurd number that Jim Tobin did. But of course shohe Otani hit three homers and more important, pitched six scoreless innings and struck out ten. So you know, immediately you start wondering, has there ever been a greater game played? And because it's the postseason, Jet, it's not just the postseason. This was a pennant clinching game. Granted it was three to one, it wasn't a game to nothing at the time, it wasn't a game seven, But my goodness, three homers, six scoreless, ten strikeouts. You agree, it's almost, by definition, has to be the greatest game ever played by anyone.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: You know how many text messages I got during that game saying, are you and your dad just exploding right now? Including our friend John Gay. He he could not believe what he was watching. And you know what I was seeing that people were creating Mount Rushmore of sports. Right, You've got Gretzky, You've got Brady, You've got Jordan, and then you've got show Hey, Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Well again, Jeff, I'm I'm in a slightly different camp here.
Speaker 2: I'm an old man and I grew up the stories of Babe Ruth.
Speaker 3: So I'm still not ready to put show Hay over Babe Ruth because Babe Ruth did it for twenty years. It was a great pitcher. But what show Hay's doing, He's the most remarkable player ever. He soon will be the greatest player ever. So I'm not going to get into this debate because then I become a bitter, old, cynical old man. I'm just saying, we've never seen anybody like him, and we will never see anybody like him again ever. So I got asked, is this the greatest game ever played? Well, again, it's debatable, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: Rick Wise in nineteen seventy one pitched a no hitter and hit two homers in a no hitter.
Speaker 2: That's pretty hard to do.
Speaker 3: Tony Klanger in nineteen sixty six pitched a complete game, gave up three runs, but he hit two Grand Slams and drove in nine runs in one game. That's pretty hard to do. But to repeat this was done on the highest level. The NLCS against a great Brewer team, facing pitching that people have never seen before, and he hit three homers, one of the longest home runs I've ever seen in my life. So I don't think there's any way around this show. Hey is he's the greatest player I've ever seen. But in baseball history, you still have to include Babe Ruth in this equation because of the longevity for which he.
Speaker 1: Played, no doubt, Dad, And I was funny on Twitter. I saw somebody, right, I don't like baseball. Maybe they're just being funny or silly, describe this to me in golf terms. And so somebody wrote back and said, shooting sixty three at the Masters and the final Sunday twelve holes right handed, six holes left handed, because I mean, there's no offense defense, you know there. So the comparison obviously doesn't make any sense. But in reality, basically they're saying he's the best left handed and right handed golfer in the game right.
Speaker 2: Now, right, It's pretty amazing. You know.
Speaker 3: I told you that Jim Cott Hall of Fame baseball player shot his age. He shot like seventy eight at age eighty twice in a week, once playing left handed and one's playing right handed. I find that just astonishing. But I've never thought of the golf comparison, but it would be it's almost like the best of It's like Phil Mickison and Tiger Woods like alternating shots and they end up shooting like a fifty nine together. I mean, that's what it would be like on the golf.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know golf well enough, but that was absurd what sho Hey did.
Speaker 2: And you should have seen the players.
Speaker 3: That I talked to on the Blue Jays, Kevin Gossman and Ernie Clement, and asked them about show Hay, and they just shake their head like he doesn't even count, Like it's it's not even fair. It's like it's too ridiculous to even be true. That's the kind of respect. That's how revered show Hay is wherever he goes in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: It's just astonishing.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, Well, coming up next here on is this a great game? Or what? We'll jump into the court gins on this state in baseball history, and maybe a couple team Tims coming up next. Welcome back to is this a great game?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 1: What court gens do you have?
Speaker 2: Throughout the l I.
Speaker 3: Got a lot of a mail on this one. Show Hey, of course hit a first inning home run as a pitcher.
Speaker 2: Can I just think about that for a second.
Speaker 3: Since the picture when he used to bat, we don't bat pictures anymore except for Show Hey, but always hit ninth. So it's the second time in the history of the postseason that a pitcher has hit a first inning home run. Lou Burdett did so in the nineteen fifty eight World Series for the Milwaukee Braves. Was and show Hey has hit a home run as a pitcher in the first inning, six at different times, and people were wondering, has anyone, ever, how many pitchers have ever hit one in the first inning. You know, you gotta bat around in order for the picture to hit a home run. So I remember, I remember Randy Lurch did hit one in nineteen seven nine for the Phillies. But then I called Frank from the Alias to get the full list, and he they were like a.
Speaker 2: Lot, a lot of them.
Speaker 3: But since two thousand, Carlos Lombrano did it once and Robert Person did it in two thousand and two, so it's still rather odd, but it has been done. It just doesn't sound right, Jeff, the pitcher hit a home run in the first inning, but when it's showhy, it's completely understandable.
Speaker 2: And of course he did it as a leadoff hitter. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Julio Rodriguez really stuck out to me as such way. He's a great kid. Everybody knows that. But I met someone who works with him with Adidas, and he has sixteen pair of baseball spikes in his locker, all of them different styles and colors.
Speaker 2: Sixteen.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I don't think you have sixteen pairs of shoes, greed, No, not.
Speaker 1: Even I don't even think I have half that, right.
Speaker 2: He's got sixteen pairs of spikes.
Speaker 3: That he wears, and in one of the games in the LCS he wore he changed his spikes halfway through the game, and he changed his glove halfway through the game. I'm not sure I've seen too much of that, where a guy changes his shoes and his glove during a baseball game. Another guy that really stuck out for me is Andres Jimenez of the of the Blue Jays, who I believe, I hope I don't exaggerate here is the greatest defensive player at any position in the major leagues right now. The way he has become a great defensive shortstop when he was the best defensive second baseman in the game is just amazing to me. And he hit nineteen He started nineteen games this year Jeff as a cleanup hitter and thirty four games, including a bunch of the playoffs as the nine hitter. Does that strike you as odd? You hit fourth?
Speaker 1: Odd placement? For sure, you.
Speaker 2: Hit fourth and you hit ninth.
Speaker 3: So I asked Frank and Frank our brother John seven, it's one of seven players ever to have fifteen games in the cleanup, start fifteen games in the cleanup spot, and start fifteen games in the number nine spot. And he was tremendously productive out of the number nine spot for the Blue Jays. And that's kind of the secret of their team is just how they got production from one through nine in that order.
Speaker 2: So those are the quirk Jins.
Speaker 1: Excellent, well done, Dad. What about on this state in baseball history? October the twenty.
Speaker 2: First, Well on this state?
Speaker 3: Carlton Fisk hit his famous stay fair, stay fair home run Game six of the seventy five World Series against the Reds twelfth inning, off of Pat Darcy. Let's see if you can remember Jeff. The movie that references more than has a great reference to Carlton Fisk's home run, famous home run.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it's not feeling dreams? It's not the is it the is it the movie Billy? Oh my gosh, that's right? Goodwill Hunt?
Speaker 3: Yes, remember Robin Williams was had tickets to game six and seventy five and he met his future wife and he gave up the tickets, and Will Hunting had a girl. I understand, I gotta go see about a girl. He stole my line? How about that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: On this date in nineteen ninety eight, the Yankees finished their sweep of the Padres and I'll never forget. After two games, the World Series goes to San Diego and I'm walking up the runway, just me and Tony Winn.
Speaker 2: How lucky am I?
Speaker 3: And Tony looks at me because he knows I've seen the Yankees a lot and he hasn't, because you know, Padre's Yankees.
Speaker 2: And he just looked at me and asked.
Speaker 3: I think, rhetorically, are are they this good? And I had to tell him, Tony, they are this good. I mean, when you start thinking about you know, this is the greatest teams of all time. You know, twenty seven Yankees all this, you got to include the ninety eight Yankees at least in the discussion. That's how that's how great they were. I mean, Scott Brocius hit ninth droven over ninety runs.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was an amazing team. And on this date, ninety eight, they swept. And speaking of the Yankees, on this date in nineteen twenty eight, Whitey Ford was born Whitey four. Jeff finished with a winning percentage of point six y nine ozer, so he won almost seventy percent of his decisions. He has the highest winning percentage of any two hundred game winner in the history of the game. He's the greatest number sixteen of all time, which we pointed out in From Ozzie to Oral.
Speaker 2: He won ten World Series games.
Speaker 3: Jeff, you know a lot of franchises, a lot of franchises that have never won ten World Series games.
Speaker 2: He won ten all by himself. He was really really good. And finally, our.
Speaker 3: Only birthday is nineteen eighty four, Daniel Herrera was born. Now Daniel Herrera, Jeff, I get such a kick out of this I should, but he's like five foot six, okay, and he weighed one hundred and forty five pounds, a little left handed pitcher, and he got traded to the Reds. And Adam Dunn, who was one of our first guests on the podcast this year, said, I said, Adam, when you saw Daniel Herrera for the first time when he walked in the clubhouse, what did you think? And he thought, he said, well, I thought it's unfortunate that we're going to lose him for the weekend series because he has to go race in the Kentucky Derby. That's how small Daniel Herrera is, and yet he had a heart as big as as can be. He's a very artistic kid, Jeff. He does artwork now in retirement that is real, the breathtaking to watch. And I want to ask him what you know, like knowing all about being the littlest guy on the field and the little skuy in class and the littlest guy anywhere. I said, what is the funniest little guy thing that's ever.
Speaker 2: Happened to you? In a major league uniform?
Speaker 3: So he said, when I was in the minor leagues, our bullpen catcher like picked me up and put.
Speaker 2: Me on his knee. We're both in uniform, get this.
Speaker 3: And he put his hand up underneath my jersey in the back and pretended that we were doing a ventriloquist show and I was the dummy, and he was.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and he said.
Speaker 3: Like everyone including Daniel Herrera, was laughing out loud, that this guy was big enough to pick up a teammate, put his hand up his back and pretend that he's the dummy in a ventriloquist act. And that's Daniel Herrera, who just you look at him and you think you're a man league player.
Speaker 2: How can that be?
Speaker 3: Another reminder, Jeff, game is open to all shapes and sizes. Another reason it is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: And dad, speaking of birthdays, I have a bit of a Team Tim for you that I've put together and I'm I'm actually really excited to share it with you.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I am ready, Jeff, can't wait. This is a surprise.
Speaker 1: So I put together a list of my all October birthday World Series winning Team Tim. Really so, each one of these players was born in October, hence the best month of the year for baseball fans. If your team makes it and all of these players have won a World Series. Are we ready?
Speaker 3: Yes, Jeff, I love your creativity here.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, here we go. I'm really excited to share this with everybody. All Right, We're going to start at catcher, and I put Jimmy Fox.
Speaker 2: As my catcher. Okay, stay with Jimmie Fox. I know more than one game in the major leagues. I got it.
Speaker 1: Over one hundred games. I checked over one hundred games behind the plate, not his primary position, understood, But I got a little desperate because also my first baseman is Mark McGuire.
Speaker 3: All right, very good. And by the way, Jeff, when we used to play APBA, Uncle Matt, Uncle Andy and I Uncle Matt would always have the all time team, okay, and we would all get advantages because we can't we can't match up with the all time team. But he used to use Jimmy Fox as his catcher.
Speaker 2: And I used to say, Matt, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: He wasn't a catcher, and he said, yes he was, And I said, but he was a primary first baseman.
Speaker 2: So yes, Jimmy Fox behind the plate, very much. I'm all in. It's great.
Speaker 3: And Mark McGuire first, Yes, great, postseason player.
Speaker 1: It definitely got a little tricky from here, but anybody with corrections please feel free to do so. I put Robinson know as my second baseman, two thousand and nine World champion with the Yankees. I put Joe Sewell as my third baseman, who won one hundred years ago in nineteen twenty and again in nineteen thirty two.
Speaker 2: It's Joe Soule's distinction, Jeff and baseball.
Speaker 1: Help me.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't remember times one season in over. Oh, that's right, all favored Joe. Okay.
Speaker 1: My shortstop is three time potential four time World Series champion Mookie Betts. Oh, pretty good, came up into the league as a shortstop then wasn't it now is again?
Speaker 2: So uh?
Speaker 1: And then my left fielder, This one was tough, and you won't believe how hard it was for me to find a left fielder born in October who won a World Series. But I decided to go with Juan Soto, who perhaps maybe had one of the best World Series runs for a player of that age in history. So he is a World Series champion born in October. Thoughts on that choice.
Speaker 3: I love it, and he hit clean up in a World Series game at age twenty.
Speaker 2: That's pretty hard to do.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable, unbelievable, My center fielder dad, arguably one of the best of all time.
Speaker 3: Uh, Mickey Mantle. Correct, good, Oh Mickey Mantle's birthday, But I do know he shares it with.
Speaker 2: One of our guests this year.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, help me, Steve Smarts.
Speaker 3: Now, this sky wore number seven is part of his uniform no matter what, because he shared a birthday.
Speaker 2: Sky war number.
Speaker 3: Oh, Keithnandez and his war number seventeen thirty seven because he couldn't get seven for either the Cardinals or the Mets, so he took seventeen for the Mets thirty seven with the Cardinals as a tribute to Mickey Mann.
Speaker 1: And it was tough leaving our beloved Keith Hernandez off the list he has. October twentieth is his birthday. But you know, when you put Mark McGuire at first, it's really hard. So I'm gonna put even though you know, designated hitter, maybe I put Keith Hernandez as my DH because I don't have one I do.
Speaker 3: Let's put Keith Hernandez at first and Mark McGuire as the DH.
Speaker 1: As the DH despite the National League. Yeah, good idea. Keith Hernandez will be my first baseman. Right fielder is Dave Winfield, and my designated hitter as of now is Mark McGuire slash Raphaele Devers. I have Raffie as my designated hitter. I thought it was fitting given the drama of not or possibly playing DH.
Speaker 3: Yeh, I love it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You worked really hard. How long did it take you to do that?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm not even done. We don't forget about my picture.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't implying you're done. I'm still impressed with how you got to this point.
Speaker 1: It took me a long time. In fact, you can see how many times I cross stuff out because I had to double check somebody actually won a World Series because I started with just October birthdays. But then I said that's too easy. I gotta make this more fun. Okay, So in my pitching staff, I just listed a bunch of pitchers, but Pedro Martinez one of my pitchers, Jim Palmer, former guests of the show, three time champion there and then the aforementioned You already listed his birthday in on this not on this in Whitey Ford part of my pitching staff. I also put just because I grew up a Boston Red Sox fan, because of my grandfather. I put Keith Folk in there, perhaps one of the greatest final outs in the history of that organization.
Speaker 2: October World Series in Saint Louis was amazing.
Speaker 1: Huge, and then Dennis Eckerson, that is my team Tim for October Birthdays, who also won a World Series.
Speaker 3: Jeff, that is great, and that the risk of trying to top you. I just have to use this now just in case.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Joe Ostermeier, one of our really good listeners and viewers from a sportswriter from Saint Louis Boyd does he know a lot of stuff about baseball. He said, Tim, you got to do the all Scrabble team. Okay, now, yeah, So I and I came up with it because every time I look at each row's name, I see a scrabble board. Okay, because your mother, your grandmother, my mother, Nana, loved scrabble. She was a great scrabble player. I used to play with her until almost until the day she died. That's how much she loved scrabble. So I looked at each row and I looked at Julio Rodriguez, two Mariners who I got to watch every day for seven games. I said, all right, there are a ton of points in there for a scrabble game.
Speaker 2: So Joe insisted that I do this.
Speaker 3: So now I'm not going for the most possible points, okay, I'm just looking at names that kind of look like something that you might see on a scrabble board, just a collection of letters. My catcher is my favorite name and my favorite nickname of all time in baseball history.
Speaker 2: Doug Goose is my catcher. You remember the name Jeff. I've used this before. It's g w O S d Z. What is his nickname, Jeff?
Speaker 1: Isn't he called the eye chart? The eye chart you put your hand over.
Speaker 2: Your eyes like looking at an eye chart. G WO DZ. And there's some great name.
Speaker 3: There are some great letters in there for scrabble, not the you know, not the biggest numbers.
Speaker 2: I think I have them later on on our list. Here.
Speaker 3: The first basement is the long and you brought this up to me. I think it's true. I'm not positive the longest name in baseball history. It's got a hyphen in it. But you were the one that brought this up to me.
Speaker 2: Do you remember it?
Speaker 3: Christian and Carnacion hyphen All right, yes, I used that because there are that many letters in it. You know, played first base for the Reds. Not much this year, but yes, so he's my first baseman. Mark Gruslanic always loved that name. He's got a Z in it, and you in it Gruzlonic, g r.
Speaker 2: U, D c I E. Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 3: You know, any any name that has a Z in it, it has a chance to really run up some points and scrabble because it's a ten letter.
Speaker 2: It's a ten point letter.
Speaker 3: The Z Ozzy Smith is the shortstop because we got double z's o Z z I E and then the aforementioned Ichiro Suzuki and Julio Rodriguez plus Carl Yastremsky. A lot of points in there with.
Speaker 1: They knew, I knew. And look, can you even get from left to right on the board?
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine doing that.
Speaker 3: And before I get to the two pictures, which is my favorite part, some guy I looked up on the internet, so I cheated to some degree on this. I'm covering the league championship series. I don't have all day to come up with the all alphabet team, but some guy came up with the all scrabble team, in which the first and last name of the player is an actual scrabble word. So the first one I looked at it, I stopped looking because I was too embarrassed that he had come up with something way.
Speaker 2: Better than what I did.
Speaker 3: But Mark Grace is his first basement. Grace is a word and mark is a word. Two words that could be used on a scrabble board.
Speaker 2: That was pretty darn clever.
Speaker 3: I wish I remembered his name, but it was pretty cool. My first picture is Mark Zebchinsky and you spell it rzep cz y n Ski. And according to my math, he's got forty one points out of his name on a scrabble board. And my reliever and my other pitcher he's also a reliever, is Strisney. You remember him, Jeff, Remember he pitched this year for the Brewers and is still a quality left handed reliever. Remember he's the guy that I talked to about his crazy and he's got thirty seven points with his scrabble name.
Speaker 2: Pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: But he's the guy who told me was that he pitched in some like high school game or something like that, and they were on the road and the poor public address guy had to keep announcing him, and he butchered his name so badly the first three times he came to the plate that the fourth time he just said it now batting Rob Smith because he wasn't about the best with Rob Strisney again. So that's my all Scrabble team, inspired by Iachiro Suzuki and Julio Rodriguez, who I got a good look at. I mean, each Row is there every day, Jeff running sprints in the outfield, stretching it. It was just amazing.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 3: He's already in the Hall of Fame, but it's still part of his daily routine to stay in unbelievable shape and run the run in the outfield and do all sorts of stuff. It was really impressive watching each row work, you know, even.
Speaker 2: Though he's already in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Each year Row October birth that this is where I had a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: There were some really great October birthdays that didn't win a World Series, and I was devastated to leave them off my list.
Speaker 3: Team Jeff, I had a lot of fun putting back to Jeff this week.
Speaker 2: Pretty impressive, Jeff. I'm proud of you.
Speaker 3: You're really developing some creativity learned from Pop pop.
Speaker 2: I just don't want you to go too far.
Speaker 3: And then just become a pathetic old man like me who spends all day looking up the all scrabble team in Major League history.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, I'm so so glad we had a chance to put this sh show together and we're so looking forward to a World Series that's coming up. This Friday night will be the first and Dad, you will cover your how many in.
Speaker 3: The first one was in I've covered them all since eighty one, so this will be this will be great. I can't wait. You know, the lcs's were my LCS was absolutely fabulous. And now we're onto the World Series and I'll be working for Baseball tonight. We'll be doing pre and post every day. It's going to be great. I'll be all over the place.
Speaker 2: I'll be writing. It'll be so much fun.
Speaker 1: You want to see something weird? Yeah, look behind me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you oh you're we're moving. You're moving. So you took all the stuff out of the office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of our set pieces here at the is this a great game or what studios has been packed away and stored in the garage until we move the first week of November. We close on our brand new house on November six, and then we have two weeks and we'll set up a brand new studio in the new basement, which is gonna be great. And I've heard the heating is a little bit better than what I have in this house, so I'm sure you're more excited. And the best news, Dad, there's the basement bathroom, so you and I don't have to run upstairs and pee between the cork jans and on this state base.
Speaker 2: Just pausitve, Jeff. I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: If there's one thing I've inherited besides your voice, it's the size of your bladder. Unfortunately, you and I both interrupting records to go pee.
Speaker 2: Really terrible, absolutely terrible. All right, Jeff, we'll talk at the World Series.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, yes we will. Dad, I love you so much. Keep traveling. I know it hurts being away from home, but you are so blessed to be calling these great games. She did an excellent job with Carl and Eduardo. Big shot to them for being our guest last week and just totally pummeling you interview style. But you guys did a great job on ESPN Radio and I'm just so happy for what you're getting a chance to do and have fun at the world So.
Speaker 3: Great, Jeff, thanks so much, see you soon, and thanks
Speaker 1: So much for being a part of our family.