Speaker 1: Welcome to zero I am Akshadrati This week the future of climate science. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was founded in nineteen eighty eight as a United Nations body that provides impartial advice to governments about the state of climate science. It is best known for producing its assessment reports roughly every five years, and they formed the basis of policies around the world. The last set of reports, known as AR six, were released between twenty twenty one and twenty three and made headlines around the world for saying that it is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean, and land. It may sound obvious now, but the level of evidence needed for all scientists to agree on unequivocal is nothing short of daggering, and that's why it made front page headlines around the world. The IPCC's and next set of reports, called AR seven, are due to be released between twenty twenty eight and twenty nine, and while they no longer need to prove that humans are causing climate change, these reports will form the basis of the next set of government policies and targets. It's vital work and when the reports come out, they will make front page headlines again, but the organization is now operating in a much more challenging environment, with climate misinformation on the rise and the US withdrawing from the IPCC process that reduces the contributions to the IPCC's budget and cuts the funding for US climate scientists to participate. This week on Zero I am joined by Professor Jimski, the Chair of the IPCC, to ask what the future of the IPCC looks like, whether the organization can survive the US's withdrawal, and what kind of questions the next set of reports are going to answer. Welcome to the show, professors Ki.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for having me. Very pleased to be here.
Speaker 1: So the IPCC is nearly forty years old and its comprehensive reports have formed the basis of how the world understands and attempts to tackle climate change, and the work is being recognized widely. It even won Nobel Prize in two thousand and seven. You became the chair in twenty twenty three, and you will preside over what is going to be the seventh Assessment report that'll come over the next few years. We'll come to the report and we'll try and understand a little bit about the science and the political moment that we find ourselves in. But if you take the big picture of you, how do you think the IPCC has evolved to remain effective in these four decades.
Speaker 2: Well, I think when IPCC started out, and just to say I was not there at the beginning, I'm old, but I'm not that old. So I think it was a world in which things were actually much more informal. You know, a group of scientists got together, obviously under intergovernmental auspices, but they were a small number of scientists. And as we've gone through the last thirty forty years we face challenges. I think we formalized the process as much more. Our principles and procedures are much more elaborate. We have ways of dealing with any alleged errors that occur in reports. We have much more formal ways of appointing off authors and criteria for selecting authors. So it's a much more disciplined world, if I can put it that way, from the world we started in.
Speaker 1: There is right now a group of people who understand and are convinced about climate action and who are proceeding with taking on many of the steps that the IPCC has laid out there is also an has always been another group of people who are completely opposed to climate action, who are ideologically opposed to it. How do you think IPCC's work speaks to that second group of people.
Speaker 2: Well, just to say, it's not IPCC's job to engage in advocacy. It's our job to stick to the science, and we're not going to enthusiastically engage in big debates among advocates either for or against climate change action. So what we need to do is to keep putting over the messages that we have put over in the reports that are solidly rooted in climate science. In the last report, we said, and this was one of the strongest IPCC statements ever, humans are responsible for the climate change that we are seeing, and that evidence is unequivocal. So unequivocal is a strong word, but it really reflected the underlying science.
Speaker 1: I've spent a lot of time in the lab. I got a PhD in chemistry, and so I have much appreciation for the process of science. Why scientists have to be precise and measured when they communicate the results that they come up with. But in this environment where policy is shaped not just by the science, but by people who are allowed. You know, you have politicians, you have TikTok influencers and YouTube stars, and even respected newspapers who publish columns that are completely anti science, that take the wrong science on. Given the information ecosystem, how do you think IPCC's communication strategy has to evolve in this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really glad you used the word ecosystem in your question because I was about to use it in my answer. There is a very complex ecosystem of bodies addressing climate change, all the way from pure science to your advocacy. An IPCC's place in the ecosystem, it's unique one is that it's findings represent a consensus between governments and scientists. The way that our reports are produced at the final stages, and that gives us just a very very unique role and a sense of authority. So we absolutely it says in our rules our first audiences are the UN system and governments, so it's public policy making that is our target audience. But we also have secondary audiences and we try to get the message out to a much wider range of people, whether it's people in business, civil society, and NGOs, young people. You know through trying to produce, say, fact sheets that summarize the findings of IPCC reports. So our communication is absolutely there our first one governments in the UN, but we don't ignore other audiences as well.
Speaker 1: But when the IBCC comes under attack for political biases, for cherry picking all these phrases that Clement denihlysts come up with, do you need to respond and be offensive about your strategy to respond to the fact that these are not based in valid.
Speaker 2: I don't think our communication strategy implies that. You know, we we dive into the blogosphere and respond to every single comment because there are so many of them out there. We do take a measured approach to it. We just continue to plug away at the messages, the findings of the scientific reports, because the moment we start engaging in these in these debates, that's the moment we take away from our authority there. So we are very conscious of our unique position.
Speaker 1: Do you think that approach is working?
Speaker 2: It's working as well. I mean, if we were to engage in the blogosphere, it's not what it's what you could lose that we're worried about, not what you could actually win. There are huge risks there because it could effectly, you know, affect people's perception of us if we are perceived to be on one side or another of a debate. We are supposed to review all the literature taken to count all the possible views, and if we become one of the actors in a debate, I think it causes a lot of problems reputationally.
Speaker 1: Now let's talk about AR seven and the report that's coming and the science that's going to be fed into it. IPCC reports that thousands of pages long. They are long for a good reason. There's a lot of science that goes in there. But you know, you compare it to other reports that have come out just for fun. I picked one. The US era nuclear Deal was one fifty nine pages long. So, after six such assessments that you've done, what are big questions that AR seven still needs to find ways to answer?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there are several things that will be I mean, science enough for sleeps that are always new issues opening up. One of the things, it's now almost certain that we will exceed global warming of one point five degrees within the next few years, so but politicians still maintain this aspiration to limit warming to one point five degrees in the long which means we will, in the parlance, have overshoot of the temperature limit and politicians would aspire to bring us back again. And understanding this overshoot is one of the big challenges for the next cycle that scientists are working on right at the moment there and it cuts across all of IPCC because our physical scientists in Working Group one need to respond to issue how would the Earth system respond to removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and it's not fully understood. Our people on impacts and adaptation in Working Group two need to understand some of the irreversibility and irreversible impacts that might occur as we go past one point five degrees that we can't go back on even if we bring their temperatures back down. And for our colleagues in Working Group three on the mitigation side, which means removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as well as reducing emissions, the big challenge is there there are many new, more technological approaches to removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere that have yet to be addressed fully in IPCC reports or the underlying science. So there's just a huge agenda round that particular issue.
Speaker 1: And it's very important that we understand the science before we start spending billions and maybe trillions of dollars that's what may be needed for the type of carbon removal we are talking about. When you say that there are still questions and uncertainties, where are those uncertainties the biggest.
Speaker 2: Well, the uncertainties go right through it, because we obviously haven't done physically all the things that we might need to do in terms of carbon dioxide removal. We don't understand what the costs are. There are lots of claims out there, but we haven't done it at a commercial scale as yet. And then there are other issues about the feasibility. They're very reliant on resources like energy, water, land availability, and there may be political acceptance issues as well. So all of these issues around feasibility are going to need to be addressed as well.
Speaker 1: There are other things that have come up in the last few years, so there has been some talk about perhaps we are on a faster warming track than was previously taught, and especially the years of twenty three and twenty four were those piers when people really were alarmed by the types of impact that we were seeing at that temperature. Is the IPCC looking to answer that question in the next report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the last report didn't get quite there in terms of answering that because we were seeing some very unusual kind of things happening just as the last reports came out. I think the conclusion that we've got so far in terms of global indicators, we are right at the edge of the envelope of projections that were previously produced, but we have not yet gone outside the envelope as yet. Now that's not the case for more local indicators, for example in specific regions of the world, or for example for the oceans where we've seen heat waves in the oceans in particular places that are quite you know, are really not well understood. They're outside what was projected. So yeah, we've got to dive into that over the next three years or so.
Speaker 1: You got started in the climate side of the equation or the environmental side of the equation through sulfur pollution in your early research in the US. Most recently, sulfur pollution came up as an issue where because the shipping fuels are getting cleaner, there were places around the Mediterranean in the North Atlantic that saw higher warming. Is that the type of question that needs to also be answered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the question sulfur dioxide is important because you know, in the atmosphere, it tends to cool the atmosphere rather than warm it top. So if you take the sulfur dioxide away, temperatures will be higher than the otherwise would have been. So, yeah, that's the one of the important things that we do need to consider. Now we have a part of IPCC that not many people have necessarily noticed, called the Task Force or National Greenhouse Gas Inventories or the TFI, and it has been charged with developing methods by which governments can report their emissions of pollutants like sulfur dioxide to the unf Triple C in the future so that these things can be taken into account. It's one of two methodology reports that the TFI will produce during the cycle, the other one being on carbon dioxide removal technologies, on carbon culture utilization and storage.
Speaker 1: There's also been the use of artificial intelligence, which I would say is new. You know, there was machine learning in the previous cycle, I guess, but today it is much faster. It's being used more widely. There could be applications for how IPCC scientists collate the information to put into reports. How is AI being seen, both from the perspective of the reports itself and making of the report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important for everybody, and it's important for us as well, and that's actually why we ran a three day workshop last week at the University of Reading on specifically the topic of methods assessment on artificial intelligence and large language models played a big role in that. Now that meeting finished just three days ago, so I'm not quite in a position to report on the findings, but it's very clear that AI has implications all the way through from discovery of literature. It may actually improve the process. It can help us perhaps with addressing the thousands upon thousands of review comments that we get on each of our individual drafts. But one thing to be very sure, and this is a very solid conclusion. When every IPCC report comes out, the authors are told you are going to be responsible for all of the content, and there's no way you can just turn it over to AI and use that to excuse so it needs to be checked and I think a very big conclusion this is about the interaction with human beings and technology technology is not going to solve the problems here. We need the people as part of the process. On one particular area where it's important that the humans there are assigning the confidence level in findings, and we really can't find a way in which AI can really substantially help us with that. A lot of judgment is still needed there.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what our editors see to us as well. Every word that's published by us is under our byline. If we use AI for research, etc. That's on us. If AI makes mistaken republish it, that's on me, not the AI. So I think that's important from a place of bringing trust, But it also points me to a place where you know IPCC reports, they are long, and they're big, and they come every five to seven years kind of the amount of time it takes. But every assessment report, one of the scientists told us, is now packed with double the amount of research compared to the previous one. So the rate at which climate science research is happening is also growing. Isn't there then a case to be made that despite how much work it takes, you actually need to be publishing this report these reports more frequently. Given our understanding is improving more quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, ideally, I think it would be wonderful if we could produce reports more quickly, But the authority of IPCC actually comes from the rigor of the review processes that we go through, and it is not really possible to imagine getting a report completed from the point the governments decide to produce one till the final approval of less than about three to four years for doing it, because we have to have a scoping meeting the governments and I need to sign off the scope, and only then can we even start selecting authors who need to be nominated by governments and observers. And we go through two external drafts, a so called first order draft for experts, a second order draft for experts and governments, and the summary for policymakers then goes out once again to governments, even before we go to that crucial approval session where we crawl through the summary word for word, line line for line, and by the time you add up all the gaps and the time and take account of the time that our authors need because they're all volunteers taking time out of their day jobs, that's the answer. So you couldn't do it more quickly unless you were able to you were willing to compromise on some of the rigor of the reports. So I think for me, we've given our unique status. I don't see the prospect of speeding it up hugely.
Speaker 1: But there's a risk of missing major moments because this new IBC support will come into twenty eight and onwards, it will take a while because it takes about fifteen to eighteen months to publish the entire thing. The next global stock take, which happens as part of the United Nations Cup process, is supposed to happen in twenty twenty eight, and it only happens every five years, and that stock take then feeds into the climate goals that government set in the future. So we currently got twenty thirty five goals last year that were said because of the previous stock tag that happened in twenty twenty three. So now that air sim is not going to come in that cycle, it's not going to feed into policymaker's decisions. Isn't that a lost opportunity for the IPCC to inform policymakers with the latest science.
Speaker 2: Right, You're touching on one of the most tricky issues that we have faced in the seventh cycle, which is the timing of the production of the reports, and some of our governments would attach a priority to completing the work in time for the conclusion of the second Global stock take. Others are emphasizing other issues, like, for example, the time it takes for authors from developing countries to publish literature that can be assessed by IPCC. So there are differences of view. So just where we're the reports will certainly under any scenario start to come out in the middle of twenty twenty eight, so at least some of the output will be there in time for the conclusion of the second Global stock Take. The other ones we don't know about because our governments have yet to decide. And I'm just the humble chair of IPCC. You know, I'm not directing the thing from the top. The government is an intergovernmental panel. It's the governments who need to decide, and they have yet to decide on the timeline. So we wait and see. But at least some of the output I think will be available. Worthwhile also saying that the second Global stock take under the Paris Agreement is not the only event that is taking place during this decade. Because there will be another periodic review under the Convention itself of the long term goal of the Convention in twenty twenty nine, and we would expect, regardless of the scenario, the output to be available for that particular point.
Speaker 1: After the break. How much does it matter that the US has been drawn from the IPCC. If you have thoughts on the episode, write to us at zero port at Bloomberg dot net. And if you've got a moment, please write us a review on Apple podcast, Spotify, and YouTube, where you can find our archive of over one hundred and seventy episodes. Let's come to the politics, because politics does affect you in indirect ways, if not direct ways. The US has been drawn from the IPCC. How does that affect US scientist's contribution to the IPCC.
Speaker 2: Well, even though the US has informed us that will not participate. Now, just to say, IPCC does not have a membership list. Its rules say that any government that as a member of the UN or the World Meteorological Organization can participate. So some countries may choose not to participate. And you know that's the way it is. In terms of people who are contributing to the cycle. We have around fifty US scientists who are involved in the seventh Assessment Report, and these were nominated by observer organizations and their travel and subsistence is being funded by philanthropic bodies. So that's where we are, and we still have US science represented in the in the reports.
Speaker 1: But that's a fraction of the number of US scientists that would have participated in R six.
Speaker 2: I think I would describe it as bigger than just a fraction, because that makes it sound like a very small number. It is a substantial proportion, let me feel it that way, of the number who participated in AR six.
Speaker 1: Right, So the government funding does affect how many scientists can participate, but there are some scientists who are still participating as a result of support from other places. Historically, the US has produced not just the most amount of emissions, which is true it is the second largest emitter, but historically the biggest emeter. It has also made the biggest contribution in just the volume of science that has fed into IPCC reports. That has been changing over the years. Other countries have started to do more science, especially China. Do you think the withdrawal of the IPCC hurts less now than say, if it had happened in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the case. I mean, if you look at the volume of published literature on climate change, the startling part for me. I mean, you know, we've already said it's doubled every seven year ten ten percent growth rate on the US contribution has also increased in absolute terms, but it's been declining in relative terms because there's been faster growth mainly from two places from China, as you've mentioned, but also the European Union through the Horizon programs, has made a big difference in terms of the footprint. So in terms of published papers, I think, yeah, you're right, it has less of an impact. It's obviously if that were to disappear, you know, the richness of the literature would be diminished, but it wouldn't be the end of the story. There would still be things to assess.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe one future question first, then, because institutions like ENCAR, the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL, NASA, they're all facing under this current Trump administration a huge number of cuts that may not affect AR seven because a lot of the science is done. But how do you think it affects future assessments.
Speaker 2: Well, the very short answer to that is that we don't know, because we haven't done the assessment yet, and it's up to the authors to assess the available literature. Obviously, it's disappointing if the richness of the underlying scientific literature is diminished. But as we've seen already in the cycle, you know, IPCC is resilient. You know, it continues to operate. The plenary sessions are taking place, the assessment activities have started up. We will have the first report of the cycle, the Special Report and Climate Change in Cities will be out by March twenty twenty seven. So the process is working.
Speaker 1: If we look at the fact that the US, as the second largest economy historical contributor to science and to emissions, is not going to be part of signing off on the summary for policy makers, do you think that reduces the legitimacy of the ip ACC report and the work you do.
Speaker 2: When we get to a final approval session, we have one hundred and ninety five countries entitled to participate, and typically I don't know, we have maybe one hundred and twenty of them in the room. So at any point there are seventy of those countries that could participate.
Speaker 1: Not there.
Speaker 2: The country we're mentioning is one of them, but it's not the only one.
Speaker 1: Now, since the Paris Agreement was signed, we have these synthesis reports that are published every year under the UN auspices before going into a cop meeting, and we have seen that almost without fail, every year, the projected temperature on current trajectory of emissions has been falling, so starting from very close to four degrees celsius to the latest saying maybe two point five degrees celsius. As part of the work that you do under the IPCC, you have all these scenarios that allow you to create these temperature projections, but you also take into consideration the policies that governments are putting in place. We are seeing a reversal on climate policies in many places, not just the US. There are some places here in Europe, some of the developing countries are slowing down. Do you think that we might see a reversal in this trend, that maybe future assessments will start to push us closer to three degrees celsius again.
Speaker 2: That's something that we, you know, we need to look at in the next cycle. I mean just a flag. IPCC does not have any scenarios. We assess scenarios that people, the scientists outside IPCC produce, so we reliant on the range that they come up with. But again you refer to the UN synthesis reports. I presume the emissions Gap report and the Adaptation Gap report that the UN Environment Program producers aren't. They used methodologies that were embedded in the previous IPCC reports, so they're using the same methods effectively with new data and the numbers that I have in my head, if we carry on with current policies, we will be about three degrees warming by the end of the century. But if we implemented all of the nationally determined contributions, depending on whether you take the conditional or unconditional elements, you're down to two point two to two point five degrees. The future policy is somewhere in the band between that two to two point five and three. That's probably where the real world will will end up, And obviously the decisions that are taken or are not taken in the next few years will influence where we are.
Speaker 1: You gave a future warming range based on whatever policy makers decide right now between two point five and three degrees celsius. Just to be clear, that is still a pretty bad world, right it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean even two degrees is not a pleasant world. I mean, just to say, one of the one of the earliest indicators is the loss of warm water corals. So at one point five degrees we might lose seventy five to eighty percent of them. By the time you get to two degrees, they're gone basically, So by the time you get to two degrees is this is really really bad effects. And we're looking at other more complicatedly, so you know, for example for agricultural productivity or the productivity of fisheries for example, as you get to these higher warming levels, which we have implications for food prices, et cetera, other sustainable development goals around hunger. So it's a nasty world.
Speaker 1: Do you wish that the IPCC did anything differently, given we're so off track on actually tackling climate change.
Speaker 2: I don't think the gap lies and the science. I think the gap lies in the action. You know, you may want to challenge me on it, but I think we've done our bit on getting the message across and stating it quite clearly, and the fact that we are quoted by some many government people, for me, is a signal that we have been noticed. The fact that we'd create so much attention in the social media on the media as another indicator. So I think we're I mean, there are obviously things we can do better, and we constantly search our souls as it were. But if you look at it, I mean, I think the bucket is well over half fool in terms of the communication.
Speaker 1: Another aspect of the work that you do is that it is informed by policy. Right, the Paris Agreement put in this goal for one point five degrees celsius, which wasn't there when the IPCC was created, And then the government's asked the IPCC to produce a report saying, okay, now we have this goal. What must the world do to meet the one point five degrees celsius goal? There is now growing understanding among scientists that maybe we are going to go beyond one point five degrees celsius. You know, overshoot is now almost certain. What does that mean for the temperature target under the Paris Agreement? If we do overshoot, should that target not be in the Paris agreement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just on the one point five degrees and the role of science and the role of politics. There has been an iteration, as it were, between IPCC and the unf tripleC process because the fifth assessment cycle that reported in twenty fourteen, the conclusions were deriving from that. They are the ones that flagged up. There was a significant difference in the level of impacts at one point five degrees compared with two degrees, which had been the previous, previous kind of benchmark, and it was that that inspired the governments then to invite IPCC to come up with a new report that articulated more clearly what the implications of one point five degrees. Now on the question of whether you need a new temperature target, that's for politicians to decide. I mean, we have clearly indicated the difference between one point five and two degrees in terms of impacts, and we will go further into that in the next cycle in terms of irreversibility, should we go over one point five uncome back again, and we'll also look at the feasibility of some of the approaches to bringing temperatures back down again. But at the end of the day, that's up to politicians, so we can tell them all we count about the feasibility, the costs, the environmental implications, so we can give them that kind of evidence. It's up to them to choose.
Speaker 1: You are the chair, and of course you have to be pretty diplomatic in how you communicate the work that you do, but you're also among the very few people in the world who has i would say, a full grasp of how climate change is affecting us and what we must do to tackle it. And it's been a through line through all the IPCC reports that we know more and more what we must do to tackle this problem. So this is just asking you, on a very personal level, what is the kind of theory of change you have in mind that would enable the world to actually follow through on the types of many of options that the IPCC provides to policymakers. It requires coordination, it requires agreement. What kind of theory of change do you believe in? Personally?
Speaker 2: Right just to say, I'm not sure that the phrase theory of change actually appears in any IPC. I may be wrong on that, but I don't recall it as one of the what one of them? Which is a very key the key messages. If we break it down a little, we can actually say these are the conditions that would need to be met in order to move forward the enablers for climate action, and one of them would be about the role of governments and actually came ironically from one of our finance chapters to say, it's very difficult to imagine people in the financial sector having faith or trust to put their money down on the table unless there are very clear messages and signals from policy making communities that that's the way you want to go. So political will and signaling, I think is an incredibly important part of it. But we've also gone down into really very great detail on the kinds of policies that you could be deployed, the kind of policies that have worked, and just to say on what works, I mean, there was very strong evidence in the last report that even if the world has still been warming up and emissions are rising, emissions are less than they otherwise would have been because of all the policies that have already been put in place. So the last report identified gigatons of avoided greenhouse gas emissions through policy action. So we do know that things work what they need to do is if you want to reduce emissions, is to roll them out in a wider range of geographies and make them a bit more ambitious. But the kinds of solutions we know what they are.
Speaker 1: From your work on sell for emissions which used to cause acid rain, and today in most parts of the world we don't have acid rain. The solutions were technological because you had to create these the sulfurization machines that were put on in power plants or in industry, and you had to create a business model, through either policy or other means, to enable the power plants in the industries to actually deploy these machines. Does that work in some way inform how you think about the types of solutions that we need.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're recalling all my youthful experiences with sulfur dioxide. I used to say, I think there are important differences. We succeeded with sulfur dioxide because there were technological solutions, and also, to be frank we got lucky with the mergence of natural gas, which which actually was not expected by people earlier on in the period, and it was a it was a free ride to get emissions down in a sense the differences with climate change is that greenhouse gas emissions touch every aspect of society, you know. It's like, that's why the climate talks are as difficult as trade talks. They just touch absolutely everything. And so the solution is not exclusive, does not exclusively lie in the technological domain, though technology will be important, it also alies in patterns of consumption behavior almost way the way that we live our lives. And in the last chapter in Working Group three on Mitigation, we had a whole chapter devoted to consumption and patterns patterns of behavior, in which we had the very clear message it's not technology, it's not people. It's technology and people that interact with each other. We need the infrastructure in place, we need the technologies available, and needs to be the case that people need to make choices in the right direction as well.
Speaker 1: Now you've been involved in climate science in one form or the other for forty years, do you ever see us getting on a path where there is universal acceptance in the need for climate action.
Speaker 2: I don't pin any hopes on that personally, you know, I think it is reasonable to expect and it's coming in from all sorts of public opinion. Surveys that the majority of people acknowledge climate change and are concerned about it, and that is potentially enough, you know, for ambitious climate action to continue.
Speaker 1: On this podcast, we talk a lot about solutions, and often the solutions that come up are renewables, our batteries or electric cars. So far we didn't bring them up. Are there lesser known areas of progress that people should be aware of? Now?
Speaker 2: The big change over the debt last decade has absolutely been renewable energy and electrification of demand, principally on the transport side. Now, just to say that all of these things will only get you a certain distance in if you're going to get to targets like one point five or even two degrees, you would need to do other things as well. And you know, in some ways the challenges of the future are even bigger than the ones we faced already for renewable energy and electrification or vehicles, because it might involve changes in the way that consumers behave what they consume, and it might also involve change in land use practices as well, and they're both areas and where we're looking at billions upon billions of people that might be affected there, so I mean what I always say about renewable energy. I know it's difficult there to put in place a deal for a two gigawater offshore windsight, but in some ways, ironically it's easier because a small number of people can sit on a corporate board and make one big decision that makes a big difference. The future measures are really smaller scale measures that involve millions, if not billions of people, and that I think is where the big challenge lies.
Speaker 1: Let's take cob and capture using storage on which there's an ibccrecoming. There was much hope in that technology to be deployed and used because technically it can work. It needs a business model that needs regulation, but it hasn't delivered to the extent that models we're hoping it might. What lessons can we learn from carbon capture that might come up in other technology aspects well.
Speaker 2: I mean, the difference between renewables and carbon culture and storage is renewable energy can't get cheaper than fossil energy, but fossil energy with carbon capture can never be cheaper than fossil fuel energy on its own, so it's inevitable. Renewable energy has now reached a point where it's starting to roll. It's gathered momentum. It's cheaper than fossil fuel alternatives. Carbon cupture and storage can never be cheaper than the alternative by definition, so you need much better articulated business models and policy signals to make carbon culture and storage work. And you know, some of the initial attempts were by carbon capture storage to a specific plant. We've now learned that you need to look much more towards clusters bringing things together. So the thinking is advancing, but it's a different kind of technology. For renewables, it's not so replicable because it's often applied to specific sites in specific places with specific characteristics. So it's unlikely that you're going to get the same rapid learning rates for ccs that we once said for renewables.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Professor's key, Thank you, and thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of a European robin singing its spring songs. Spring finally seems to be on its way here in the UK. If you like this episode, please take a moment to read and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our theme music is comp by Wonderly Special thanks to Olivia Raudgaard, Eric Rosston, Samarsadi, Laura Milan and Sharan chan i'm Akshatrati bak Soon