Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Today we are joined with once a Giant, always a giant as far as un concerned. So today we are joined with Georgia. This is your yellow jacket for life as well. I think you know that. But today we are joined with Darren Waller tight End New York Giants Raiders. But I'm just just Giants, bro, I don't We don't talk about other team you Giant for Life's.
Speaker 3: Pleasure to meet you. We followed Kwan. I think has some things to say about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he feels like being a giant life right now. He's an Eagle for life now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. But Darren, thank you for joining us. Pleasure to finally meet you. We've been following each other on social media for a few years, so it's a pleasure to have you in the studio with us today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we appreciate the sport you've been giving us over the years as well. Absolutely, I know you don't know much about this new segment show entity platform. It is still very much new Royal Mall, but we over. I don't know how many years, have talked to so many athletes and all they want to do is talk about rap. They never want to talk talk about it or they want to rap. Yes, And I've found that they usually have awful hip hop takes, like some of the worst ever. So I am but there the same thing about my sports takes. So it's okay, we're finding a common ground here. But I do kind of want to start at the beginning. I know you moved around a lot, from Maryland to Colorado to Georgia. What were you listening to early on, especially in starting out in Maryland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was born in Maryland. I was there for like a year, and then we moved to Colorado. So I was like four, So I don't even remember that time. I remember from Georgia just all the way gotcha, And I remember my dad would play like all dirty bastard in the whip. My dad's from Queens, what part of Queens, Jamaica.
Speaker 3: He was giving you that real culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was like and we came into the house or something, me and my sister, and we were singeing like ODB lyrics. My mom was like the here and this to that ride with my dad, you know. So but he was like, you know New York hip hop. I know, he like gang star a lot most Yeah, I stole his infamous mob Deep CD. That's a good I loved. If you go steal a CD, that's the one that still temperature rising was. I used to love ride around drums ever, Yeah, so that was early on for me. A lot of mom loved Michael Jackson and all types of everything, and they love smooth jazz, watercolors. They always go to jazz festivals and whatnot. So it was a wide range.
Speaker 3: And your family is musical, right is your grandfather great grandfather?
Speaker 4: My great grandfather's fast Waller was like a legendary jazz pianist.
Speaker 3: Soh so you guys have a lot of instruments in the crib growing up, or they had.
Speaker 4: Us playing piano at like four, taking lessons, and uh, I was in band in middle school and then it was like not cool to be in banded once you're in high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like South is probably cooler than up here. What being in the band?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Nah?
Speaker 3: They you play sports in the South. Yeah, it's football, like you mean, man like that in eighth grade, so you know it's time to play ball. But once you started like getting into junior high, high school, were you still listening to your pops like ninety hip hop Ship, were you starting to get more into what was happening in Georgia?
Speaker 1: I was getting into what's happening in Georgia. I loved Ludacris as a kid.
Speaker 4: By my first two years of high school, I was riding around listening to Gucci mixtapes all the time, but I still kept the love for like like jay Z Black Album was bigg in rotation on my CD player, Kanye Graduation, Get Richard.
Speaker 1: I trying like there's a whole bunch of.
Speaker 3: So on on the verses. What side was you on between g Z and Gucci?
Speaker 1: Man? I was trying to sit that one out because it was just like.
Speaker 4: Pick, but I was probably leading more leaned a little bit more Gucci, but it was tough to be like, damn, I gotta like not funck with That was such.
Speaker 2: An interesting time like that versus, because I think that versus I learned a lot about exactly how many people in Georgia.
Speaker 3: I always knew they fucked with Gucci, but.
Speaker 2: That night I learned I was like, oh no, it's a different It's a level that I had no idea. I think you had to be from Georgia to understand exactly the difference between Gucci and GEEZI as far as people from Georgia concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, following Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I got to college, I started to understand more because you know, people from the South, for some weird reason, came up north to go to college and they started explaining that Jez and Gucci shit to me as if it was jah Ru and fifty cent, and I thought they was fucking crazy. Then I got down to the South and was like, oh, I get it. My bad, I didn't realize that this was really all jay Z and Nas at the moment.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: We're close in age, so I know we grew up on similar music. To me, Ludacris might be the most criminally underrated rapper of all time based off his desography. No disrespect to Nelly. We saw what happened during COVID and the verses. Everyone's like, Yo, Nelly's I'm in I agree, Nelly's the man, but you're not fucking with Luda cleaned him the fuck up. Yeah, Luda had been a personality, an actor, a lot of where I even see rappers going now, Luda was doing before Luda was on the radio, before he was a rapper, luded to me is actually the blueprint, especially from the South for a rapper. What was Luda like growing up in Georgia, T y'all because in New York to us, he was like a New York rapper. He was wrapping his ass off over those Southern beats. It was it was an easier way to digest than say t I, who came a little later that had more of a Southern accent where Luda didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Luda was I mean about pregames. So my first pregame song was rollout.
Speaker 4: Ludigris, Like that's first got a CD player every time. But I feel like for me, for him, it was like the personality that he put on records because a lot of like Raper is like like tough Bravado. Yeah, Ludacris would be funny, like he talked about women like he's like and whatever, he's whatever he does, and it's like his wordplay and the tones of his I was just like it would make me laugh, Like I'm like yeah, but like he would make me laugh, he would make me be like hype, like it was just like something that he was doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, I'm fucking with him, like he's just a personality like you said.
Speaker 3: And the way like of course you bring up Missy Buster. All these amazing visual artists like their videos. But to me, when I was a kid, Luda Chris had the best videos, hands down to me, Like we waited on Luda's videos.
Speaker 2: You know, Luda definitely is one of those artists that pushed visually. He pushed his art to another level. He wasn't afraid to try different shit, to have fun, be funny, even make fun of himself wearing the big sneakers and all of that.
Speaker 3: You know, he was.
Speaker 2: Definitely an artist that looking back where it was like, yo, he can really rap, but like he's not afraid to have fun either though. But when he give you those records, it's like, yo, I don't know if it's too many dudes that could rap better than than him, but he didn't. I don't think he got that respect because he was so animated. And it's like, you know, a rap you kind of have a hard time. We like cool, we can emulate, like if I put on the song, I want to be able to rap like that. You don't want to be too animated and rapped like Ludacris because it's like people gonna look at you, like, what's up with this dude to be okay? But when you listen to what he's saying, he's getting off, like he's really getting his shit off. So I think it was just that he was, you know, he was having a good time.
Speaker 3: He threw his.
Speaker 2: Music, wanted people to have fun, dance. But I also respected Ludo because he was when those when the music called for it, and especially when he did features. Like when Luda was doing features, I think he went in there knowing I'm clean. I don't care who else is on this record. I'm cleaning them up. They have a hard time rapping better than me, and that I think that was That's why I like Lude a lot, because he had fun, but when it was time to get busy, he also could do that too.
Speaker 1: Took it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He actually have a funny Luther story that I've never told on our pod mea Aristotle. We did a video for Luda a while ago, and he pulled up to set driving a tour bus like he had he was driving the tour He pulled up in the tour bus driving I was like, all right, that's weird, but all right, I'm with it. And once we started talking more, he was like, yeah, it's not like a gimmick. I know everyone in Atlanta sees me driving around on this tour bus. I have lost half a million dollars on every single tour because of the tour bus fees. And I just wanted to buy a tour bus, so saved my fucking money. And this is also the guy that has fast and furious money at this point. This wasn't like early right, this is this is legacy looting, right, and he's still doing that. Like he also on the business side. I know you joke around, we were really drinking loutiac. I don't know in Atlanta. If you was at Georgia, we were drinking looty. Yeah twenty ten, we were drinking one hundred percent drinking LOUTI.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, I didn't do the lootiac. Wasn't my brain.
Speaker 3: I didn't do that. But who were some of your other favorite rappers coming out of just Georgia period?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, geezy, Like I said, Gucci, like it was tough to see that war go down. Pastor Troy had bangers. That was probably it because I was like a blend.
Speaker 4: Those are like my South guys that got me in the door to Like then the new era was like who I really loved, like Thug's future, like seeing them from like live mixtapes era on up it was just like a tree, like even Metro like starting his own projects at like nineteen years old, like seeing that whole rise.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, your pop's playing you old dirty bastard, mob deep, et cetera. It wasn't a little difficult getting into Thug and some of that stuff just because you grew up on more boombab type of rap.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it was.
Speaker 4: I always had like an open mind of this music, like I'm listening to like I remember I had a vivid memory of crying when I heard the song by Daughtry when I was in middle school.
Speaker 3: Okay Daughtry Wow.
Speaker 4: Like I'm like, I'm listening to all different types, like any kind of music like can stoke up a feeling in me or I love listening to it. So it's like it wasn't just like one genre was like my cup of tea.
Speaker 3: It was like I feel like, did Dodgy start on an American idol?
Speaker 1: Bruh Home by Dadge.
Speaker 3: How do I remember that? Like that was the wame.
Speaker 1: Banger bro right on.
Speaker 2: Getaway Boys, Dawtrey is crazy. I would never would have guessed you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean any Yeah, I love even like the like the rock music from back in that era because I mean I like a lot of white homies back the Inn, like all American rejects of course, oh yeah, my Chemical Romance bangers back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that era of like alternative rock was incredible. I wish it continued on or maybe I'm just out of touch. I feel like that whole genre is just going that far. Alternative slash pop.
Speaker 2: I think I think, you know, it's fun. I think a lot of that has to do with TRL no longer being around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a.
Speaker 2: Lot of that, A lot of that helped, Like TRL helped kind of like push that into every home, like because like I said, we if people look at us, they I would never think you listened to Daughtry my Chemical Romance, but you probably watched t r L pretty much every day. And that's how I got introduced to a lot of that ship was watching TRH. So I think that kind of like killed the whole alternative rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wave what was your first ringtone Mike Jones back then.
Speaker 4: On a singular wireless Sony ericson flip phone.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean naturally, Yeah, yeah, I did a lot of did not want me.
Speaker 1: Straight up.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. It's funny that the ringtone validate that. Like, I know, it's not a whole call, not at all. Definitely just the homies. I mean, what were the girls listening to in high school with you? Because I was so much like on not more like rap nerdy shit because I was into Mike Jones and a lot of like more of the South ship that was popping, even snap music. But I was still very much in my own bubble of underground rap that didn't really relate to the pretty girls I was trying to like finger sorry to be explained, it was high school man. Yeah, natural, So that was always like a big dis disconnection when it came to music and women in high school for me. Did you run into that at all? She was raised the old dirty bastard. They wasn't trying to hear that.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you was in then usher Chris Brown, yeah side of things like you was using the right spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you in playing sports when you got into sports. Who are some of the people that you definitely can contribute like a lot of your workout regimen to like what was playing, Like what music was were you listening to before game days? What are the artists that you were like before a game, I have to listen to. This artist is the artist that gets me in that in that zone.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's where like the trap music part of Atlanta started coming in. So it's like seeing the rise of I mean all through Floka Thug from the very very earliest days future from the earliest days. We're always in rotation a little bit in there, like I said, jay Z, but that's mostly where like the Atlanta scene of music came in. Was like gott to be playing the drums before game days, and that was like what everybody in high school wanted to listen to.
Speaker 3: So there's no there's no R and B before game.
Speaker 4: Nah my taste four games even all like once I'm in the once I'm in the league, Like it depends on how I was feeling that day. There's times I went out there and I think there's a game where we played Jacksonville in like twenty nineteen, I had like one hundred in the first half. I was listening to like Fred Hammond and Marvin Sap before the game, like and then, but then there'd be some games where I'll listen to like piano music or like fucking Chaker healing music. But then there's days where I'm out there and it's just straight it's like Westside Gun or it's a little baby like it's just all over the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, what's the difference going into those games of warning to go with healing music versus West Side Gun screaming boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the feel. It's kind of how I wake up and feel that morning.
Speaker 4: You know. It's like most times people are like, all right, Sunday, They're ready to go. There's some days where it's like I had a two hundred yard game once, so I woke up that morning. I was like, I don't know how I'm gonna play a football game. I went out the warm ups. I didn't even have pants on over my leggings. I look crazy. But it's so those days I kind of tempered my music around, like how I'm feeling that morning. That would have me because you gotta be calm when you go out there, you got to be like that edge to you. But at the same time, you got to be calm. There's a lot of shit you gotta process much that you got to execute. Yeah, So niggas be too hype out there sometimes and forget they got to do a job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean when you're playing with the Raiders, because that just comes with you know, even leaving Oakland and going to Vegas, they still have that reputation of having those crazy fans death metal and shit. Was it tough trying to like warm up before a game and they're trying to cater to the fans rather than you. As far as music, because I've been to if your Raider game that's it's just heavy metal and shit that's playing the entire time. That would annoy the fuck out of me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, the music is like you can't even pick up on what they're trying to do. It's like, is this, like you said, is this catered to players?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean at least with the giants like wil As DJ and the shit, and it's cool. With those Raiders games, it's just Harley Davison music the entire time. But that's a different.
Speaker 2: I think the Raider and you could probably speak to this, Darren, what is the culture, like the difference in the culture going from the Raiders organization to the Giants, because Raider culture is a whole different front animal. Like the ship that I see, I'm like, I get his football. But like some of these people, like they followed these fans to their homes and like they have Raider homes. Like what is the difference in the culture and an environment, Like when you got to the Raiders versus the Giants, what was the culture change?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, those fans as you described, like they're outside the gate that you drive in every single day.
Speaker 1: There's dudes out there, like on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's like, where's your family? My boy? Like like the damn We had a janitor that came from Oakland to Vegas.
Speaker 4: He ended up getting in some trouble and they kicked him out, but he had like John Gruden portraits tatted on him like Raiders.
Speaker 1: The janitor bro Migo shout of Migo.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I don't know where Migo is at, but wherever you at, man the Raider shrine at his house, Like he would show us pictures like yeah, so those fans are really crashed, like their whole body'll have a whole Raiders sleeve.
Speaker 3: John Gruden never see that. Like when he was in the bathroom taking a piss and the janitor was there, like yo, John, check it out. Shirt off and show John's chests while he's in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Hed pull a service on the players.
Speaker 3: So he's a lifeer.
Speaker 2: He's like somebody that has been So they just kept him at the janitor position. They didn't want to like elevate him a little bit in an organization, elevated to just let him mop.
Speaker 3: Was working over time, mobbed some passions, doing with passion. I get that part, get getting a John Gruden tattoo. That being a janitor at the Raiders stadium would be like the apex job, right, you can't be like that.
Speaker 1: That's the CMO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have John. That's the best job ever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like he's just he just wants to be in the building. He's one of those guys. He's let me be in the building every day.
Speaker 1: Would take and be the clip in him. He'd take bullys for the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, see that's that's that's the type of fan base that I think is a little just too aggressive. I get football is aggressive sport, but you see people like that. I love it, but it's like watch him because we don't know what he's libel.
Speaker 3: It's like Raiders, Eagles, the Jets to some degree are more like college for ball fans to me than they are NFL. Shit, Like, did you have any of that at Georgia Tech? Because people obsessed over college football, I feel like more than NFL.
Speaker 4: Georgia Tech was a strange crowd, Like the average fan was like fifty plus.
Speaker 1: It's like a weird demographic.
Speaker 4: There's like Georgia Tech is probably the safest place you can ever go watch a football game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably because, like it's all the wild people are bulldogs fans. I would assume they're more of like the so pretentious people would be like, I'm with Tech. Yeah, you're downtown.
Speaker 1: Forty eight year old's fucking barking shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you got there. What twenty eleven, twenty eleven, yep? What was going on in the city of Atlanta club wise? Music wise?
Speaker 1: At that point?
Speaker 4: I mean shit, we wouldn't even really go into the clubs. We were going to these bars and buckhead where they were they had like welfare Wednesdays, like news was broke.
Speaker 1: This was not. There was no nil Wednesday. There was no nil back.
Speaker 3: Then, all those fifty year old fans isl was.
Speaker 4: You get on the bus to go to the game on Saturday. They give you fifteen dollars. They said, make this last till Monday.
Speaker 3: Fifteen dollars.
Speaker 4: That's like double mc chicken epic vodka, like plastic bottle. Wait, wait, that'll hold me to money.
Speaker 2: Wait, they give you fifteen dollars and make it last. Yeah, fifteen dollars. Yeah yeah, So y'all are so your student athletes? You're selling out. You're selling out the arena on campus every weekend yep selling jerseys. What does that do to a player who is getting fifteen dollars family struggling back home? Obviously you have dreams and aspirations of going pro one day. What does that do for your mindset? Knowing like, okay, I have fifteen dollars to last week for three days. My family's back home struggling, Like, how does that motivate you as a player, Like, I got to make sure I'm doing what I do out here because I got my whole family. I got to take care of and it's fifteen dollars a week.
Speaker 4: Ain't cutting it well, I mean, motivate you as a player, but it's also like I'm just about to start stealing shit, my boy, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I'm like, I'm about to just start stealing this fifteen dollars coming in a position there's nothing else to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta start evaluating all licks possible.
Speaker 2: But like seeing your jersey in the stands, knowing that people paid for that, knowing that university is making money off of that, like that has to kind of piss a play off Like, yeah, it's like this this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully they'll get it right one day. But then now it's like, you see, the other thing was Penn State. They had a young receivercar touchdown, he got up. This motherfucker had diamond teeth and he's eighteen years old. I was like, we swung that bitch to the other end of the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, but how do you look at that as a player who had your time when again it went from fifteen dollars. So now a lot of these players coming in, they have these nil deals who might not be better than Darren Waller was coming out of high school right going into college and now you see these young collegiate athletes making all of his money social media going crazy.
Speaker 3: What does that do to you?
Speaker 2: Like, damn, Like I missed out on all of that when it because I was definitely better than this kid and in il is fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm in a place now in my life where it's like I actually like love seeing them have that opportunity, you know, because but at the same time, I feel like there's certain character lessons you learned having like eight dollars in your bank account, that's a fact. Yeah, and not having that money because like at eighteen, you get muscles going in with ms out of high school like they're the bread winners. It's just like mom telling you to take the trash out you like, yeah, yeah, I'm bringing the money on it. Like yeah, it's a different environment.
Speaker 3: But that's a cool perspective though, because I really would feel like, yo, you guys, owe me back pay on all these shit, Like there's no way that I did all this. And it's the same way like when people have been locked up for weed for fifty years now it's legal and just like, let me the fuck out, I hear it's the same thing. That is an interesting perspective. I have a way lesser version of that when I look at college. I went to like a commuter school, and I think about if I would have went to a school in the South, it would have been a better experience. But there's no way I would have been kicked out in the first week. Like, I don't know if I'd ever stay focused. And I think about that with certain college athletes. Would you have stayed as focused if you had money like that?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because I mean, I'm like, I'm full blown drug addict, alcoholic at this time.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you wouldn't have gold teeth. It would have been a whole different thing.
Speaker 4: No, it would have been like a brick, Yeah, shaving that bitch every day. But but yeah, it would have been Yeah, I would have been I probably wouldn't have made it out of a car.
Speaker 1: I barely made it out as it was.
Speaker 4: You know, I fucking drk got into an accident going the wrong way, just fucked up behind the wheel, like just shit like that happening in college. Yeah, you would have gave me one hundred thousand million dollars, Like because if I had one hundred dollars my banker, I'm like, shit, we we up?
Speaker 1: What were we doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That is a that's a great way to look at it, Like you knowing who you are as a person and knowing if you had access oh to this money and things like that, like you know, it probably would have fueled a bigger animal that you have, you know what I mean? The nil thing I think, I don't know, I'm kind of While I do like the fact that players are making money in college because obviously these universities are making billions of dollars over these players, I kind of feel like just looking at it, it's kind of watering down the competitiveness.
Speaker 3: To me, even an extent the talent.
Speaker 2: Like I look at a lot of these, uh specifically these basketball players in college, and you know, you see all of these the highlights on social media. They have all these clips and once House of Highlights post them. You know, it's like they they social media goes crazy. But then I look into it, like I'm looking at a highlight. Everybody looks good on the highlight tape, right, I'm looking at how I'm like, damn, who is this kid?
Speaker 3: Like yo?
Speaker 2: He's he looked like he could be the next one. But then I go and I look at what he's average, and I'm like, he's only averaging eight his highlight table, like he's averaging thirty five.
Speaker 1: That's a fires eight.
Speaker 2: But then exactly the eight look crazy when social media then just two breakaway windmill dunks or you know, it's a fucking eighty R reception.
Speaker 3: But it's like, yeah, that was his only catch for like three months, so like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you make a great point.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It's I feel like for the young dudes, it's like the priorities are changing as opposed to it's getting a bag and being blown up on social media as opposed to like developing and being excellent at your craft. And it's like, how can you blame them? That's what's in their face, is being shown as that's the most valuable. So it's like, yeah, like I said, there's lessons you learn in college, like if you're not the starter like you and back in the day, you just grind and wait your turn and then earn your spot in time as teaching you valuable lessons. But now it's like if they don't put ketchup on your sandwich, in the cafeteria niggas is transferring like it's a whole different game, Like any sign of adversity, They're trying to go somewhere else, and it's like they want the instant gratification of like a big play that goes viral as opposed to like I never had any major plays, but it's like the consistency that I was able to develop help me to build a career.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if that's really on their minds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think even just getting into that trendsfer portal has become easier with social media because's more accessible to get. Even if you were a backup to have a few highlights, you can pass those off easily to another coach, where that was way more difficult, Like thinking about transferring if you was just a backup was very, very difficult at one point. How you could just start sending shit out the clip like, hey, look at this, I'll go in the portal and figure it.
Speaker 1: Out, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, used to have to sit out a year if you went somewhere, So it's like it's a big decision transfer Now I'm fucker's just going right into school and putting an uniform on and stepping out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched I watched a few interviews of you over the last few years, and one thing I do admire about you is you're very self aware. You're very aware of who you are. You have no problem speaking about your highlights and your low lights, and I think that's very admirable. A lot of people like to speak about when things are great and all, you know, the highlight, the dope shit. But you, I've noticed you're the type of person that you don't mind talking about exactly who you are. You're unapologetic about who you are. Where is Darren Waller today? When it comes to number one? Mental health? Physically you look like you still you still can go, You still you still can play. But where's Darren at mentally as as as a as a man?
Speaker 1: A lot more at ease these days?
Speaker 4: I would say, for like most of my life, and you know, towards the end of my career, I feel like it was just like I'm entertaining, I'm good at this, but I'm like, how much of my choosing to be here? It's kind of like I'm like putting a mask on of like, yep, I'm loving doing this shit, Like I'm here, like, you know, you can't just be like I don't want to hook be here like, but so it was just kind of dealing with that, and I don't know if, like most of my life, I was trying to fit this image of who the world wanted me to be, and I feel like it just started to crumble and just eat away at me. And it's like, you know, you turn to so many different things to just try to cope with that shit. And now it's like I'm able to finally be like, yeah, like I don't want to entertain it anymore, Like I kind of want to express myself more through art and just figure out what the fuck I want the rest of my life to look like and walk away. Whereas before I would never make a decision like that, especially if it meant the loss of a lot of people's approval, I would never make a decision like that. But to I guess, develop the courage to make a decision like that and go through some you know, real life shit over the past year. So I mean to be like, all right, like I feel like I'm getting closer to figuring out, all right, what do I want my life to look like? Because I don't want to keep getting to these places where everybody thinks, like, man, his life's got to be great, where I'm behind the scenes, like I'm putting up a smile, but it ain't really my life like.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do. You think football was directly connected to your substance abuse early on.
Speaker 1: In ways?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Man, I feel like some of the lowest points, like my first two years of high school, like I was really small, I had big ears, big feet, Like I was getting roasted, Like I wasn't playing on the team. So it's just like puck, like I don't know what I'm gonna do. But then I started to get right around the time I started using, and I got bigger and started being on the team, so it's kind of tied together. It's like, oh shit, just a recipe, Like this is how I just you know, calm down, take the edge off. Yeah, And it's kind of realizing how like addictive thinking works. It's like the highs that you get from football and like making the play and like everybody's like watching you and like reporting on you and all that stuff is like I don't know what else could really compare to that. So it's like feeling those like I want to feel that shit again. It's kind of like that addictive personality was in football too, because it's like the whole grind, the whole total picture of what it means to be a football player. I didn't love all of it. I love being out there and getting into a flow and making plays and being like I cannot be stopped today period, Like that's an unmatched high. So I feel like that's what I was kind of doing throughout my football career because it's like there's a lot of times where I'd be like uninterested or like just kind of just like like I'm here, I'm gonna get my best effort.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's different versions of dopamine. At the end of the day. Facts did it get I'm sure it did get much worse when you got to college and just having the access and probably no supervision when you were in college with the subs. It's abuse with football.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Yeah, I remember, you know, your parents come help you move in there, like all right, son, like and you like, really you got to hear it. You gotta take it from here. As soon as my parents walked out. It's like at the same time, like some of the dudes that were sophomores down the hall came in with an ever clear bottle and put it on the table and was like what we're doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, where you know I could fit in doing this?
Speaker 2: Like you know. We had a friend of the show, Ashley Ashley Nicole mass on another day and I was telling her. I was like, I have this thing where, well, I don't club anymore, but back when I used to club, whenever I saw football players coming to the club, I would leave because.
Speaker 3: Y'all have this certain aggression. First of all, y'all might.
Speaker 2: Walk in with no shirt and just all your jewelry on number one, Like, I know you have teammates that you can remember.
Speaker 4: I just had an epiphany because there was me in my roommate in college out of and we would be like a couple of the only football players they were let in the frats because we would be like more till we're just trying to smoke a little bit like drink, Like we're not trying to come in here and be like.
Speaker 3: This my shit, that's the shit I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: But we would be like, yo, can we bring the teammates through?
Speaker 4: And it'd be exactly what you just described and they'd be like, y'all can't bring the y'all just.
Speaker 3: Know y'all stronger than everybody in here. And I think football players know that.
Speaker 2: Like I told Ash, y'all said, y'all have football players have this this helmet thing because people don't know that their faces because they have helmets on all the time.
Speaker 3: So when they get in the public, it's like, yo, I press three eighty.
Speaker 2: And this whatever whoever want to do, Like, fam we need to listen to the R and B like are you coming here with no shirt on and you ready to fight and body slam everybody? But you can relate to that because you know, obviously people say the same thing about you and your teammates, like y'all are cool. Y'all seem to be the cool four players. The rest of your homies leave them outside of the frat.
Speaker 3: We don't want that.
Speaker 2: What is that agreas Is that because y'all are just so aggressive in nature for what y'all do for a living, that y'all carry that on into like I call it civilian life because we're just civilians.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: I don't press three eighty. I watch you on Sunday but I'm not trying to get into a tussle with Darren Waller in the club.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got to think of it from the mindset of like football player, like our whole life, we're being rewarded for imposing our will on people and being celebrated for it, Like we love the way you just take over and dominate. And so it's like it's hard for a lot of people to flip that switch on and off. It's like any type of environment I'm in, I need to assert my dominance in this environment.
Speaker 1: And so that's why it's like.
Speaker 4: I mean even like I don't even want to condone anything that like like like a Ray Rice situation. It's like when put into a jam or a spot where your body, like your nervous system gets activated. It's like you're like, all I've done my whole life and succeed in is just like my way out or like and so it's like that's embedded, I feel like in so many guys to where it's like they go into environments like I gotta let y'all.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, that's that's when my exit.
Speaker 2: So with the DJ shout out, yo. So so the defensive line and I'm like, yo, i'm hot here. Yeah, you'll have a good night, right, That's just me. But once I hit a D lineman is in there, I'm like, yeah, I'm out. A couple of Wilde receivers, cool, tight ends cool. The offensive guys seem to be a little cooler than the defensive guys right in the club in civilian life, Yeah, you're a linebacker.
Speaker 1: It's time.
Speaker 3: I'm going home. Well, I mean outside, I think ego just in general too. You being in Atlanta at one point, then Baltimore, than Vegas, than New York, those are like four insane club cities. I'm sure you ran into a lot of rappers or let's say, pharmaceutical people that are used to controlling a club, and then an NFL player walks in and that tends to have some type of clash that I've seen in the past.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, bottle wars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you been through any of that in the four cities that you were in while you were a star.
Speaker 4: I've seen it a little bit. I've never really been too much of a club guy, like here and there. Once I got once I got sober, I kind of just fell off but yeah, I've seen it's all and people want to challenge the.
Speaker 1: Football players like I can get I can get bitches in here too, Like it's just like that game is that game is wicked.
Speaker 2: What's the craziest shit You've seen a teammate doing the club? And when did you know your teammate was filthy rich? Because you every player has that moment where you like, I'm making money, but he's making money.
Speaker 4: I had never been in the club where it was the big money dudes was in there throwing like I heard like stories of like Mike Wallace, like thirty in the club was nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 4: Regular night, yeah, light day. Yeah, But I had never actually been in there when that was happening. Like the times I've been to the club or been to like a strip cloor whatever. It's like I spent three thousand dollars on a section once, like I'm just wanting niggers.
Speaker 3: Like to be in here playing this game, which are right? What was it Vince Young or Steve McNair. Someone spent like forty thousand dollars at Applebee's and I was like, all right, man, which at.
Speaker 1: Apple's fiscally impossible.
Speaker 3: It was running back. It was something insane. It was either Vince Young or Stemen. It was definitely like the franchise.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand grant is the franchise, Like, you can have this if I'm the manager that Applebee's and somebody comes and run for forty thousand, sir, you can have this entire establishment.
Speaker 1: We need an explanation.
Speaker 2: It was TGI Fridays Vince Young. TGI Friday's had to run because.
Speaker 3: Of Vince Young. They kept them moving.
Speaker 4: You have to like, so.
Speaker 3: When you first got to the Ravens, was Baltimore club music kind of an eye opener? Was that a weird situation?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I didn't know. I didn't know what to do with that.
Speaker 3: You're not how to swing that ship. Did know how to do anything?
Speaker 1: Nah, nothing about that.
Speaker 3: I've talked to a lot of people that just end up as athletes in the d m V area, and when they have to hear Go Go and any Baltimore club, They're like, I think I want to get traded. This is the craziest ship I've ever heard speaking of that.
Speaker 2: Who is your Who's a teammate that you can remember for having the absolute best taste in music and the worst taste in music, Like you get in the locker room, you're like, oh, here he go with this ship.
Speaker 4: You know exactly what you're gonna get from any football player from the state of Louisiana.
Speaker 1: Whosi No these new the new y ends like.
Speaker 3: That just straight young what's the rob four nons?
Speaker 1: And yeah the whole life, which is like, I mean, it's it's further what we're about to go do. It's it's great music.
Speaker 4: But it's like they'll come in, it'll be six am, and it's like, dog, we need some like some soul in your life, bro, Like let's get your spirit the rest. Bro.
Speaker 3: How does that work in the locker room? Though? Who's going to control the music?
Speaker 1: Whoever get it first? Rus?
Speaker 3: Is that how it is?
Speaker 2: So it's like it's just once, it's just a sound system for an entire locker room. Like each each locker I have my little Beats pill and I could listen to my ship.
Speaker 4: So the new facility in Vegas they had like the you can control the whole locker room with somebody get the somebody whoever gets to the ox first. But then there would be times like in the Oakland locker room they spook. He would have his own speaker in his locker and he would be doing like kind of like a little like block party type shit, and like he would make the rookies rap and uh and just would just be in their host and he was in I like that.
Speaker 1: So it's you get a whole lot of different environment.
Speaker 3: Me instead of giving the game balls, should just be here's dogs of the record. Yeah, whoever played the best, Here you go.
Speaker 2: That's like that has to be like an honor to be like for the team, they'd be like, yo, Darren, you got the ox Court.
Speaker 3: What do you play first?
Speaker 2: If you get the ox Court and it's the biggest game of the season, you got the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: You got the Chiefs. What's a great beat? I feel like the best pre game beat of all time might be the Family Ties baby keeam Okay, yeah, something about horns. It is like getting ready something great. Probably be the first first beat I'm playing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I feel like when I was in high school, we ready. I think it was Bubba Sparks and Archie or some ship that was the go to any football game, no matter what school he was playing, they played that first. That might be like top five football anthems to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember fucking coming up in Georgia. Pastor Troy.
Speaker 3: Yeah anything Pastor Troy is going off for the football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and vice versa will have a nigga ready to just blackout.
Speaker 4: We have a.
Speaker 2: We have a new label mate. We shout out to the volume with with the volume Now, Shannon Shark. Yeah, where the Shannon rank on your all time tight end list?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, Shannon Sharp was tough too, not according to Skip, but.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's top five, but that cannot be take it as an insul whatsoever. So who's your top five? He's got to be in There's gotta be in there. Antonio Gates has to be in there, got to be there.
Speaker 1: Who else? Off numbers?
Speaker 4: You gotta put Jason Witten in there, and you gotta put Tony Gonzalez in there. I'm not mad at that far so and then after that, I mean, a dude, that made me think that I could play tight end with my bill because I played receiver first.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Gramley's on the Saints was different, but I mean I could.
Speaker 4: I could make an argue for Shannon Sharp at six right, But it's man it's so many a lot of good tight ends.
Speaker 1: In the fact, I'm leaving some some people out probably too with who I just named that that.
Speaker 2: Five is is solid Shannon just from watching the game. Shannon is in my top five.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: I like Antonio Gates, but I think i'm I think I go Shannon Sharp before Antonio Gates though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw more of Antonio Gates with my age. I caught like the very tail end of that Broncos team with Shannon Sharp. Antonio Gates was the man was different.
Speaker 1: I was and never played football like he was out.
Speaker 3: There running like a four to three up the seam as a tight end.
Speaker 2: He was different, different, foul bro No, he was listening. That's that five is incredible. But me, my personal I don't think I can name five Titans better than Shanni.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at that either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was that transition? Like, going from wide receiver tight end in the NFL not college, Like, that's a whole different monster to change position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I feel like I had some there's some solid vets that tight end in Baltimore, like that Ben Watson played in the league for a long time. He was kind of there, like giving me some pointers and then like past game, being a receiver, I just had to learn how to like navigate because now you're trying to gather away a d lineman and linebackers and they're trying to fucking hit you and shit. But it was the fucking run blocking. This was twenty sixteen. We had Terrelle Sucks at the time. Matt Judon was a rookie. Who's the All Pro now, Elvis Duomerville. I don't know if you remember who that is. Then he was All Pro with the Broncos. Who else was there is the Darius Smith was a rookie.
Speaker 1: He was in my class. And I'm having to block these dudes every day and they're fucking.
Speaker 4: Caving me into the backfield, like anytime they run a run play behind me, Like there's like if you were in like a wide zone play, you basically just got to keep him at the line of scrimmage. But they're so strong and I'm so I'm just like new at this. I don't know how to block in this setting. They're driving me five yards in the backfield. A run play can't get started. They got to cut back and do all some crazy shit. But it was like going through that period was like kind of broke me in to like, all right, I have to do this because if I only come in on passing down, they're gonna be like, all this nigga does catch, but you got to learn to be out there ninety percent of the snaps so they can't pick up on the offensive tendencies. So yeah, you gotta hold your own out there. But that was a good time for me.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, who was the first player or when was the first time in the NFL that you got hit and you started reconsidering this line of work.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't reconsider I was. It was Dante Whitner. You remember him, say for the forty nine ers. He was like one of the last breed of safeties. That's like, you come over here, I'm knocking you old ship off right, And yeah, I ran like a so we ran like a play action roll out. I'm running an over route across the field and I'm like, you could see something out of your peripherals, but I think he was like in the deep half, so I'm like I didn't even really feel him there, and I'm like, oh, this is up, Like I catch this, I'm turning fuck hit me in my chest and I got a concussion.
Speaker 3: Because my neck just went like the crash.
Speaker 1: Like the crash commercials. Yeah yeah, and like and I hit.
Speaker 4: The ground and I'm on like the if you're looking at the field from like a bird's eye. I'm on the numbers on the right side. Our sideline was all the way on the other side. I crawled to like the midfield logo. I was like, I got to get up for my own pride. I gotta get up. I gotta get up. And then I went over to the sideline. I was like, take me to the locker room. They get you right there and they try to evaluate you for concussion and most things. Like I'm staying in the game.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm taken myself. My whole brain rattle. I missed.
Speaker 4: I missed the next game the following week because I was still having like like like for four days.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I can't be in the room. I'm sitting in his lights. Bro I'm cooked, Like he did he at least like check up on you did he reached?
Speaker 4: This was so this is my first game, Like I started that game and and so I'm running routes and he had covered me on some and I'm like getting loose because he wasn't like the best coverage safety.
Speaker 1: He was good enough, but I got him a couple of holes.
Speaker 4: And I'll call myself chirping at him, okay, and then uh he heard the only thing I remember with him standing over me like.
Speaker 1: It was like you should.
Speaker 3: Ship but I should have known better. See the mouth movement. Who's the best ship talking defensive back in the league that you had to deal with?
Speaker 4: From when I played, it was I never experienced Richard Sherman in person, so but from just the audio clips, but Tying Matthew, Oh god, that was activated activated ship.
Speaker 3: Talking, and I feel like it must suck, is the tight end because you have to deal with the D line ship talking, then sometimes the linebackers, and then always the DB's.
Speaker 4: Yeah and Chauncey Gardner Johnson okay, yeah, whenever Nigga say his name, crash out man.
Speaker 3: Who is worse D line linebackers or DB's when it came.
Speaker 1: To DB's have the biggest like you say, like you go.
Speaker 4: Into the club and it's like D line, I'm out, Yeah, the craziest egos or DB's which you kind of have to have to play defensive back.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the hardest.
Speaker 1: That's the hardest outside of quarterback.
Speaker 3: In this position. It's like I have a tie with like left tackle.
Speaker 4: But playing dB in the league, you got to have delusional confidence, yeah, because a nigga could cook you. And it's like that doesn't mean you're trash, Like these things are running four threes and they're running forward. Yeah, and you're right. Yeah, so dB is you got to be delusional. So I'm not even mad at them niggas for even acting like that.
Speaker 2: You got to So there, Let's talk about your music career a little bit. Let's talk about you you making music.
Speaker 3: I came out to Gate hating because he got a West Side booge future for I did. Yeah, how did that's my man? Family?
Speaker 4: How did that feature come about? Shout to my boy Cali and uh, I know Junior over at lv r N. Yeah, I played JV basketball with Justice too. Really but yeah, don't you is it Justice? Justice already think he likes super nice and ball. I played ball with Justice before. He's much better than I expected pre dreads. Yeah but uh but yeah, I played basketball with Junior all through high school. So reaching out to him through my boy Cali Like it was pretty easy to set up. He was accessible and happened smoothly. I felt like he was a perfect fit for the record.
Speaker 2: So you so you actually was looking forward to getting out wrapped because Boogie can he can go. So you welcomed that absolutely, man Like, So I'm it would be honored to make music with people that I respect their craft.
Speaker 1: And and listen to.
Speaker 3: So it was, Yeah, when did you make that decision that you wanted to go full music? Was it before retirement? Was this something that was always sitting there, like as soon as I'm done with this NFL shit, I can finally fully focus on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I was just excited about devoting more time to it. I don't know if I'm an artist that is like full time, like every day in the studio. I feel like I got to have like experiences that, yeah, kind of motivate me to write. It's a regular thing, but it's like not every day. But I am grateful, but I have more time to do it. I've been making music since twenty fifteen, so it's not like I'm just like now like I'm gonna make music. It's like some people knew about it, some people didn't I was dropping, but yeah, I'm excited to have more time to do it and express myself and see what this pocket of my life has in store for me as an artist.
Speaker 1: I felt there's, you know, some.
Speaker 4: Kind of journey from me here and I it's what I feel like I should be doing and want to be doing right now.
Speaker 1: So I'm just like, fuck it all right.
Speaker 3: Did you ever try to battle anyone in the locker room?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 3: I kind of learned.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what started my career was in high school, dudes on the team would put on an instrumental ice cream paint job at the time was a favorite go to freestyle, and we'd freestyle and dudes could flow like I could give you two well fought out lines, but then it's like my game is moving so fast that it's just like hindering me from just waxing in the.
Speaker 2: Moment having two bars, and that's it is crazy King Drick like Pulitzer Prize lines.
Speaker 1: And then it's like I can't go anymore.
Speaker 3: Because once the ice cream paint job instrumental comes on, two three people start rapping. I could come up with like two or four great bars in the moment, and then I'll wrap them and I'll stop be like I didn't think this through, like like yeah, now what it's over. I got that off now because they even look at you like all right, it was cool for and then you're just like all you know what, Yeah, I'm going get it right there.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I feel like if I wrote some ship like I might be all right. Yeah. That's how I started making music just off of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you keep it to yourself at that point or the.
Speaker 1: First two years of making music? I kept to myself. I was.
Speaker 4: It was like right after I got drafted into the league. I was they had the rookies in the hotel garage band pulled up. I was wrapping into the I phone, earbudds, wired ones and in the garage band and just like ripping beats off and just went for two years without knowing. And then I went to a studio back home. There was a dude that was on a football team, is a few years older than me. He had a studio at his house and I was rapping there and then one of my homies made beats and found out he was like, now we got to lock in.
Speaker 1: And then from there, it was just like, yeah, been creating for almost ten years.
Speaker 3: Now, is there more athletes that do wrap or more focused on music than we think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot of dudes love it, man, a lot of dudes.
Speaker 4: It's a good balance. Like for me, I had been doing it the whole time. It's like it honestly like contributed to my career because it gave me that balance. Like when I stepped out of the building, it's like I can go home and cook something up and it like takes me out of this performance mindset, allows me to just relax and then I can pour back into it more the next day because I've got something that I'm looking forward to. Yeah, after and but yeah, nobody was really dropping, Like I remember twenty nineteen, I was like I dropped my first project, like I was out of the league and suspended.
Speaker 1: But nineteen I dropped.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm just gonna do this because like I'm the best player on the team right now, Like it's not hindering my crafty. I'm just about to drop it. And then I think from there, like I don't know if people maybe felt more comfortable. I don't want to say like I'm the only pioneer of this, but nobody was really dropping. Now athletes just like dropping whenever.
Speaker 3: They think Arion Foster, Yeah yeah, I read his album He's he could Wrap. He was real, real, like he surprised me. I went into it like all right, let me me not go in with judgments. But I didn't think it was going to be as good as it actually was, and he was confident with that shit too. I appreciate that athletes go into it taking it serious, where others will, you know, see it as a lick post career shit. But I do see that you are taking a serious Have you taken the comments from music more to heart than the NFL comments like post game shit, because it is like you're burying your fucking soul out on rare and maybe a comment may hurt a little bit more than you know, my parlay didn't hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, people come at you crazy like, but yeah, you kind of. I kind of get used to it from football a little bit, but now it's like, yeah, I don't really get myself access. I got the fucking light phone, I got people that run my socials, so it's like I'm not even not even looking at the ship getting access to I know there natural resistance of like, nah, bro, like I know you as this as you're doing and doing that, which is like that this is.
Speaker 3: Why a lot of Paul you busy writing rom But I feel like, even you know, outside of the parlaytionshi where it affects people's lives, you're putting out who new record is about your life? That to me is way more brave than going out on the field and expecting some commentators, some fucking fat ass fan to comment on what you're doing. Like, was that a whole process in your brain to even put that out? Not really you know what people are going to tie it to, and like it's just going to be a whole for me.
Speaker 4: It was like it got created and it was like I really fuck with this, and then it's like I feel like the mix up was I didn't give any context to what the record was because people were probably like, oh, like my chick stabbed me in my back. It was like the song was called who Knew Her Perspective? So the meaning by the song, you know, people write from different perspectives, so I'm like, I recognize the patterns in my relationships are kind of all the same. So the thinking was if the girl had to pin and wrote me a song, what would it be? And so, and then in the disconnect was in the video, I'm really the girl that's experiencing the pain like stepping into her shoes. It's not me, like being stabbed in the back. She put the post out and was saying like YadA, YadA, YadA. So it's like, I'm not defending myself like this is this is, this is what happened. I'm just expressing my art. And people were probably, yeah, took it a million different types of ways, but that's kind of a risky run putting it out there.
Speaker 3: Of course, but you had you were married, you divorced.
Speaker 2: Now you were married to WNBA star Kelsey Kelsey Plumb who was a better shooter between you and Kelsey because you played basketball.
Speaker 3: Have y'all ever win it?
Speaker 1: To me, it's not, Yeah, she is out most niggas, NBA, wherever, wherever.
Speaker 3: But what does that do?
Speaker 2: What does that do for the Because you're an athlete, you're you're, you're, you're your your competitive both professional athletes.
Speaker 3: But what does that do for the ego?
Speaker 2: Now if you and you know Kelsey are and the gym y'all shooting against each other and she blows out, like what is the conversation like on the ride home after leaving the.
Speaker 3: Gym, Uh, it's you do this ship every day that the period.
Speaker 2: I'm happy, I sort of you know how we are as men though, like we know, I don't care if wife he is a w n B A star, Like if I played in the local rec league, I feel like I should.
Speaker 3: Outshoot my wife.
Speaker 1: That's that's not a it's not a regular.
Speaker 3: If I'm just saying the ego all would take her to the football field to run routes, Like.
Speaker 2: That's that's what you should. Absolutely absolutely you've seen loving basketball. But yeah, absolutely, this is what we got to do. Your Darren Waller Foundation, Yeah, talk to us about the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I think is super important.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I connect that. I was approached with the opportunity to start that in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: We've been really just giving people access to treatment to go to thirty days and rehab, to have aftercare sober living. Because the league sent me to treatment for free. It was like sixty five thousand dollars for where they sent me for thirty days. But that shit changed my life, so it's like I'm in a position now to give and serve, Like I feel like it's important for me to pass this on. So that foundation has been going for five years now. We've said, I think the numbers like seventy two people through. Yeah, treatment, it's kind of crazy, you know, like not even thinking I'd ever be back in the league, and now I'm here and using my influence to help these people, you know, get back on their feet like I got back on mind.
Speaker 3: So yeah, is it tough to talk about your lowest lows with them?
Speaker 4: Not really because I look at them and I see me, And that's why I feel like I try to be like you were talking about, like more open, because a lot of people probably look at athletes or people that are successful and think, man, like they're so high off I can't even touch them or access them where it's like, nah.
Speaker 1: Bro, Like my mind is crazy just like yours.
Speaker 4: Like I got emotions, I have, you know, tough times, like I got family issues, I got whatever it.
Speaker 1: May be, Like I'm more like you than you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all I ever did was just continue to invest in my craft and life. Somehow got me here. But there's nothing that you can't do no hole you can't get out of. That's the kind of message that I feel like I'm trying to get people because that's real life. I can get up here and be like, yeah, I don't I got no problems, everything's great, Like I'm not giving an authentic message to people that can help them through their day to day So I'm just trying.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, And I think substance abuse ends up getting a weird rap because they may associate it with like fiend shit or bumshit or whatever, not realizing that it is people that you see on TV that have the same exact issues that someone else may have, or even people that just work corporate jobs may have substance abuse. What would you say is the first step to somebody's thinking about getting help but can't really figure out how to do it without feeling embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's got to be an awareness of like where I'm currently at, Like no reservations, no like ego involved, Like it's got to be like how do I get the most authentic picture of where I'm at? Because if I'm still delusional in some way or in denial, like there's no way I can be helped. Yeah, And there's got to be a point to where you get so tired of what's been going on because for me, like I got to crash and burn for me to be like all right, I'll change, like I'll do something different. So it's like getting to that place of like I'm really done, not like not like like it's like, nah, bro, like help me.
Speaker 3: Did you have that rock bottom moment that was like this is it? I thought it was this rock bottom moment before, but now this is the rock bottom moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I would always say before like the like the like O Dan was the biggest rock bottom, but I would say, you know, probably last year was probably even more like like being like man, I don't even want to be playing this game anymore, Like you know, this marriage is just deteriorating, like like I and I feel like I'm still trying to put forward this image like everything's great, Like so I've repeatedly hit this wall, like the root of the problem still hasn't totally been addressed. Like I've just you know, kind of seen a lot of success and a lot of cool moments and highs along the way, but there's still something that's unaddressed here. So it's like coming to that realization, it's like, fuck, bro, Like, I've been sober for seven years and I feel like I've just been spinning my tires has been spinning in the mud here.
Speaker 1: I ain't really been making no progress like a fucking hamster wheel.
Speaker 4: So I would say that was probably more of a bottom yeah than odan was, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: What would you say to a young Darren Waller first going to college and then looking at where your life is at now? What would you say to Darren back then?
Speaker 1: Today?
Speaker 4: I would say, you gotta define what it is you want and who you want to be and not be overtaken by the current of what the world wants you to be. Because I feel like I succeeded a lot at who the world, who I thought the world wanted me to be. Where it was like being a ring leader, getting sucked up in college or in football, and like all these things.
Speaker 1: I'm like, all right, I'm who you guys want me to be.
Speaker 4: But it's boxes are checked, but it's not a fulfillment like deep within, like on a soul level, it's like figuring out what you want and it may not be highest paid, number one.
Speaker 1: All these things at what it is you really want to do.
Speaker 4: But it's like if that really is what is filling your cup up and allowing you to just like make the most authentic impact you can, Like that's the life that's fulfilling. Like we're kind of being fed the you know, if you go by these metrics, you're going to be fulfilled and life's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I'm one of those.
Speaker 4: People that's like I've checked all those boxes and that's not necessarily the case.
Speaker 1: So I would tell him, like, you know, trust who you are.
Speaker 4: Don't feel like you got to abandon that for fitting in because a lot of people you're trying to fit in with are crashing out, yeah after after high school, like you know.
Speaker 3: And they don't really care about you try to fit in what people?
Speaker 4: They're so worried about themselves too, and probably thinking of the same things that you're thinking. And you think they're watching you, they ain't really they ain't really caring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what's the plan now that you have who knew out we getting a full album? What's it looking like?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely an album at some point, Uh my boy, Jay ro I have been cooking up with it was my engineer and he's also an artist's really helping me elevate my sound.
Speaker 1: We're gonna drop a project together.
Speaker 3: And you guys have a record out now together, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called mind Games, and we got more. The next song I drop will be us called Streets to get Cold with him, he's getting me more into my R and B bag and you know, kind of going through divorces things like that's kind of opening me up to a different, yeah side of myself and being like damn, like all these emotions are here. I don't have to suppress them anymore like I can. So it's just, yeah, experimenting with a lot.
Speaker 1: Of new things. You have plenty on the way, solo project and a joint project with him.
Speaker 3: So love it all right, So we're flushing out this segment in real time. We don't really have a name for it. We're talking about one on one, just a bunch of weird, corny sports names about this whole Georgia album versus. So you need to pick one out of the two, and you can't say both outcasts at Aliens Versusquemina mm hm.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I might have to go at Aliens just off of two Dope Boys in a Cadillac one of the best.
Speaker 1: Well that shit, I was just in Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ludacris back for the first Time, or Chicken and Beer.
Speaker 1: I gotta go Chicken in Beer. Man, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I think I was listening to that explicit album as a kid and wondering why uh fucking avenue.
Speaker 3: Problems I got. It's all Luda Chris's fault. I got back for the first time for my eleventh birthday. I remember at I'm dead ass at the birthday party in our backyard. Somebody that had like the cooler mom that would just like whatever gift and my friend's mom bought it for me Back for the first time. I was eleven years old. Oh my god, you the oldest pretty yess hose. Yeah, I was. I was yelling at yelling at that. That was like Splash Waterfalls. H No, Splash water Falls was on what's the second album that was on? Chicken and Beer. Yeah, Chicken and Beer Back for the First Time was one of my favorites. Gz t on one on one versus Recession going on one man, Absolutely one on one, bro. I agree. But you'd be surprised how many people would say this recession. I'm with y'all, though, Yeah, I got it going on. This is like an age old debate t I Trap music verse King. Mmm, fuck, we're similar in age. I think I know what you're gonna go with. Fuck uh?
Speaker 1: King had whatever you like?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know paper Trail. I think whatever you like. Let me pull up the King track list? King had? What you know about that? Living the Sky with Jimmy Fox is a.
Speaker 1: Huge God damn that was a hit in middle school.
Speaker 3: I was definitely listening to Hello on the way to high school. I think with our age though, we probably fucked with King more than most.
Speaker 1: King was twenty four's No.
Speaker 3: Twenty fours was on Not twenty fours was on the album before that. So you said you might might to go King just off what you know about that? I'm not mad, no, man, trap music. Trap music was fine. Yeah, I'm a trap music guy. We'll get a little younger. I think Dirty Right too. Across the Board is Future's best album. We can all Yeah, So I didn't want to just add that in the mix. Fifty six Nights versus Hendricks.
Speaker 1: Bruh Hendrix Hendrix is so tough.
Speaker 3: It's an R and B sol album bruh.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'll be wondering nowadays, like future can just like go in to move and do anything.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be hard, like you put it out.
Speaker 4: But like what he was experimenting and pushing himself to do on that album, Yeah crazy.
Speaker 3: I feel like my collection might be the most beautiful misogynistic record that's ever existed. Yeah, Like they'll play that at a tribute and women will cry young thug Jeffrey versus Bart six Bart six, Okay, not matter at that. I'd go part six two. I think their very neck and nect though Jeffrey's fire. I gotta go Jeffrey on over part six. All right, let's go R and B quickly. I don't think they've taken your Georgia I d yet. This is the this is the one confessions verse eighty seven to one. Don't breathe like that, like you don't lie. It's it's not the heart of a question.
Speaker 1: Man, Yes it is.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. I have lost friends over this de big confessions.
Speaker 1: Absolutely confessions.
Speaker 3: It's closer than y'all thinking.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. That's why I that's why I breathe like that.
Speaker 2: It's really not close Confession is closer than you'll Confessions is one of the greatest R and B albums ever.
Speaker 3: I think you can make a case. Eighty seven on one is right there too.
Speaker 2: You can make a case, but we know undeniably Confessions is one of the greatest R and B albums ever.
Speaker 3: Okay, without a doubt, to me, the most underrated R and B artists from Atlanta the Dream Love Hate, Verse, Love Verse Money.
Speaker 1: I don't know what all was on both of those albums.
Speaker 3: This one's so tough. I wouldn't even know really where to go. But let me pull up the track list for you. I think it's love Love Hate, the one with purple kisses. Yes, yeah, I'm going purple kisses throw it.
Speaker 1: In the bags on one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the remix is always better for us. Love Hate, I Love Your Girl falsetto Shorty as the Ship's Love living a Lot, Purple Kisses, Love Hate, Yes it is playing in our head. Yeah, I'm going, okay, but love Ver's money, rocking that ship, put it down, Walking on the Moon.
Speaker 2: Fancy Fancy might be one of the greatest Army songs ever.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. This is a tough. He's a tough one. Fancy is one of the greatest Army songs about. Yeah, but I'm still on the side of love hate but love verse money's right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God damn, it's a lot of.
Speaker 3: This has nothing to do with Georgia ship or music. But movie wise, any given Sunday verse Friday.
Speaker 1: Night Lights, Friday Night Lights is the best movie to me, really, we're.
Speaker 3: About to argue to death now, any givens Given Sunday It was.
Speaker 4: Five, but like Friday Night Lights put you in touch of like the origin of like coming up, like if you came up, it's a different side of it. Yeah, it's a different size Given Sunday. Not a lot of niggas like got to that level and relate to that.
Speaker 3: To me, give the car aff though you didn't. That wasn't feeling that. That's LT giants baby, come on go.
Speaker 1: That was a five movie. But yeah, for some about I don't know some about Friday Night Life.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a classic for sure, But any Given Sunday to me was so ahead of its time. Even on my bad my parking, he get alert and music when it's time to pay to meet it got to make sure. To me, any given Sunday was so ahead of its time, Like simply based off the Jamie Fox Al Pacinos scene when he goes to lunch after he's about to get not cut but he's not going to start for the playoffs and Jamie breaks down what it's like to be a professional athlete versus the corporation ship. To me, that that is what everyone even argues on the college level. That ship was the smart Oliver Stone smoke that ship. That was the smartest thing I've ever seen as far as what professional athletes go through. Like you're telling me that I need to do it for the betterment of the team. When I'm not, y'all are going to get paid. I am not cooking any give not give ahead of Friday. That lights. Yeah, you at high school, it's all about the town and the team and the people next to you and building all that. When I get to the professional level, Fuck y'all, y'all are gonna wave me, trade me immediately and you want me to give up my life for you now? Fuck that? To me, that was one of the most brilliant movies that's ever existed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, greatest football movie of all time and Longest yard. Wait, which one Adam Sandler knew it? Okay, greatest football movie of all time. Now he wasn't feeling that it's a good movie. I would put the replacements over that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, another good, great football movie. I'm showing my age with this one.
Speaker 1: What was it? Uh?
Speaker 3: From the eighties? Wildcats? Was that the name of it? Sport in nineteen ninety y'all?
Speaker 1: Remember that was the high school musical, ain't it?
Speaker 3: You said a musical?
Speaker 1: Yo? Damn Wildcat high school musical. I think that was the name of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wildcats, all right, Goldie Hawn Wildcats. You never seen that movie? Watch that movie. It's young from the eighties, but it's like it's a classic classic movie.
Speaker 1: Like you like the movie.
Speaker 3: It's definitely before your time. I'm a little older than y'all. But by Rudy, don't get me started, man, that's another that's another classic movie. You just like that movie. You've heard me go on our rants on our podcast about Rudy. I love them, I love Rudy, I understand. I think it's amazing that he did all that and then got Darren. You you got choked up watching that movie? Did you get a little.
Speaker 4: I have a song with Ciri where the intro where Rudy's about to quit and uh, the black Janitor was like tell him, like, you're trying to do that for your dad, and do that for what? Like if you ain't that clip in the beginning.
Speaker 3: So that was a Rudy is a classic, man. No, no, it's a classic. It's just a classic for that year of his life. Like listen following Von whatever his character ended up, he was still even though he's an ass. So he was the all American that was going to go on to the NFL and do great things. Rudy had a cool semester and then became a motivational speaker that we're fuck didn't do shit with his life afterwards.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: You wanted to get fucked over by the college system so badly that you did all that work in a factory, get your head blown off, everything just so you could give Notre Dame one hundred thousand dollars a year. Stupidest movie of all time. I thought it was one of the most inspirational movies of all time. It's inspirational for dumb shit. I loved his drive and his focus and the heart that he had. I respect that it was in all the wrong places. Check out Wildcats.
Speaker 1: Wildcats that movie. Not really.
Speaker 3: I had did a list of like seventy five things at the top of twenty twenty five for music predictions that I'm already. I think I'm four for four already. Do you have any music predictions for twenty twenty five, y'all f with of course?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I need the Saba No Idea project.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, they just put out a record on Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've been spending that shit.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I don't really have any I like to to just see shit unfold, bro, Like I love like the mystery and just like watching shit happen. I don't really know what's gonna happened at all. I'm interested to see what Drake does well. I mean, I mean I'm still I'm still listening to Drake's old music. I mean, people are getting them about of there, but everybody doesn't. That doesn't really everybody's still listening.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, by the time by the time they hear this, I think tomorrow will be the P and D Drake album. Okay, that's about to come out. I don't know where I'm at with that, I think they may go too much to the core fan base where the masses won't really fuck with it, which I don't really care. I love old P and D cuts, and I think that's the route that they're going to go. I don't know if we're gonna get much of what the masses want to hear. As far as Drake Address and ship, I think we're just gonna get Oh yeah, great fucking R and B shit.
Speaker 4: And I want to see him just like what the next chapter of his solo career, because like, I still want to hear what he got. He's still tough, like all all that shit aside, Like I still want to hear what you got to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, besides Saba, who I love? What else you're listening to?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I fucked with Viking by Baby for some reason. It's a great song.
Speaker 4: Other than that, there's a band called Crumban. It's like an alternative band. That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: They just want to Grammy, I think too.
Speaker 1: Sary's new project got a couple of good ones.
Speaker 3: That's my guy.
Speaker 4: Somehow I ended up on Jesus Peace. I've been listened to name Me King the Game album yeah, it's underrating heavy rotation. I don't think there's a skip on that album.
Speaker 1: Uh is Crazy and Jack Harlow Tranquility, Okay, it's a banger.
Speaker 2: I'm listening to It's crazy. Kodak Black put out a project for Christmas, and I've been listening to that, like MS Christmas thing I didn't even know, and it's like it's it's it's like it's short.
Speaker 3: It's a maybe seven records seven eight.
Speaker 1: What is he for?
Speaker 3: Like deck the halls with fentanyl? Like what is he?
Speaker 2: He's not decking the halls with Fit, but it's some joints on there that I'm like, damn. Like Yah put out a nice little project with Kodak. I think he could really wrap too. He put out a he put out a nice project around CHRISTI surious with that.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 1: I cannot get past the halls. Was Fit.
Speaker 3: And you shouldn't deck the halls. Let's put that on. Definitely take it to me. I saw take it from.
Speaker 1: Darren.
Speaker 3: I saw I saw a video.
Speaker 2: There's this guy online that's doing this thing where he's taking rolls of duct tape and he's wrapping it around like two poles and he's trying to run through it. So he's seeing how many rolls he can run through, so he goes ten.
Speaker 3: He gets through that easy, twenty easy.
Speaker 2: So he gets up to one hundred rolls of duct tape that he wraps between two poles and tries to run through the tape and he ran. He tried to run through hundred rolls and knocked him back. He hit his head on the pole, called a concussion, so they called an ambulance.
Speaker 3: So he's in the car. He's like, yeah, so you know, what are you gonna give me? Take time?
Speaker 2: He said, Man, you know, we just probably get some fitting. As he looked like Finn like I've seen that clip. It was a dude in the uh in the hospital before. She's like, yeah, we just got to he said. He was like emotionally, he said.
Speaker 3: You're like that, like, no, cool. I think I'm alright. I'll get up anyone that's looking for Fendyl like wait, I just got to run my head. Yeah I'm cool. I'm cool. Hell, this was great man, Thank you so much for coming through. Appreciate this pleasure to finally meet you.
Speaker 2: We definitely got to do this again during once the NFL season kicks back off, so we could talk some ship about some players that we don't know nothing about because roory mall don't know ball.
Speaker 3: But are we sitting here with Dren.
Speaker 1: We gonna do some film.
Speaker 3: We got to do it, like a film breakdown, a break down, some film.
Speaker 4: See y'all's coverage, if y'all know coverages, if y'all know listen route.
Speaker 2: I stopped playing Madden because it got too technical. Like once you told me like, yo, if you pressed the button too hard, he's gonna throw it into the ground.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, I'm done, Like I can't. I can't do this shit no more.
Speaker 2: So. I don't know no fucking routes. All I know is a few players, and I know when you should throw the ball. I don't look at coverage.
Speaker 3: Which is when when when you know he's opening, you know.
Speaker 2: When the receiver, you know, when y'all running, y'all do this thing right here, like kind of let the quarterbacks, you know, yeah, like let it go, let's go.
Speaker 3: That's all I know. Yeah, when you do this, get it to him, like just fucking just throw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now we can have a session. I can tell y'all like why people do certain things. Why this coverage is happening. Why I love that scheme a little. But then y'all can know ball and tell them fuckers, what's what?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Matt?
Speaker 3: Cover three, Cover two, I know Cover one. Yeah, I played Madden two. I know all that coverage too, So not the same. I played high school football. About fires on blitz, I mean, somebody gonna blitz.
Speaker 2: That sounds like that sounds like somebody the quarterback about to get hurt.
Speaker 3: That's the fire zone. It sounds like two dudes just coming from here. I think I saw it.
Speaker 1: That's I remember that fire zone is.
Speaker 4: You have a blitzer, like say like the Nickels blitzing, but somebody's dropping, so it can uses. It's the same number of people that would be rushing on a normal pass rush, but they're changing. They're trying to confuse the defense, like if you ever sak a defensive end dropping the coverage. They're confusing the offensive line because usually they'll slide this way, but then they'll be like, oh shit, that's where you see somebody just running unblocked. That's the hardest shit in football and offens lines picking up those blits and stunts.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll get there, got you, baby steps, baby steps, We're getting there. That's Darren Waller. We appreciate you, my brother, and we've saw to you soon for sure.
Speaker 4: No