Speaker 1: Welcome to forties and free agents. We have reached the end of the draft road free agency. It's way back there. Daniel Jeremiah is with us. And at the end of every draft, they like send you a text. You probably get a million of them just what an awesome job. But I knew I would see you before we said goodbye to you, so great job on the draft.
Speaker 2: Congrats, I'm doing it well.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, buddy. And by the way, I can't tell you the number of people that came up to me and said how much they enjoyed your work on this podcast. The reason I can't tell you that because nobody did. But I'd like to think that they're out there and I just haven't met them yet. So that's what I'm holding on to.
Speaker 1: I know they're out there. I've heard from them. Adam Shines is one of them. We'll get to that later in the show. Let's just start just some things, maybe big picture that surprised you. Later in the show, we're going to get to some great fits and what teams were excited to watch and kind of how the free agency portion of the offseason married up with this draft. But just what big picture surprised you most when you were on the set there in Green Bay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just the rumors day of that this Travis Hunter Jacksonville thing might happen, that they might trade up with Cleveland. And it's like every year, Greg, I could write a book on the rumors you hear within twenty four hours of the draft, and they're all some of the craziest things you've ever heard. And so it never happened. So I was somewhat reluctant to buy in on this, and then it just kept the drumbeat kept getting louder and louder, and here it is, It's done, and it sounds like something that had been agreed to for quite some time. So they did a great job of keeping that under their lid. But that one kind of just changed the kind of change the direction of the draft a little bit and kind of caught us off guard. And was is what makes the draft so compelling and so fun is that you can study it, you can try and match these things up, and then just one thing and then it just turned the whole draft upside down. And it was he brought so much electricity and energy to the entire process. I mean before we even got to the start of the draft. He's out there dancing with the band. It was just like, the guy's got some electricity to him. He's got some you know, ridiculous charisma. So it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he was out there dancing to I'm every Woman that I was like, does he know the Jaguars are trading up for him? But by all accounts it was a surprise to even him. I'm curious, would you have done it?
Speaker 3: Would you have danced every woman?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I would not dance to every woman? Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 2: No? Would you have traded up? I would love to see that.
Speaker 3: I Look, here's the interesting thing about this, and I've said this on a couple of shows, but in talking to like our friends, mutual friends who are Browns fans devastated right as you can imagine, They're getting a chance to watch this unbelievably talented player who's unique and what he does on both sides of the ball. So on the fan side of it, I think there's a lot of disappointment. In all my conversations around the league, a lot of people said that the Browns had no choice but to accept that trade. Like it was. They all feel like that the Browns did well in this and getting a future first round pick to go along with the that they got in this particular draft. So that's the interesting side of it. I try and fall somewhere in the middle where I can appreciate, Hey, let's be bold new regime here in Jacksonville. Let's get some excitement. You know, Travis Hunter is going to bring that. The most important objective for James Gladstone and this entire new regime led by Tony Biselli is we've got to get Trevor Lawrence up and running, so you get him a premier weapon on the opposite side of Brian Thomas Junior. I get that we'll have to wait a few years down the road to see what that first round pick next year looks like. Greg, But I did find it fascinating that the the fan reaction versus the inside of the league reaction was totally totally opposite.
Speaker 1: Well, the people inside the league, they're living in their fears. Isn't it your job? By the way, I noticed you didn't really answer the question there. Would you have done it if you were the Jaguars. I'll tell you what my answer would.
Speaker 3: Be I would I would not have done it if I were the jackson I had.
Speaker 1: A feeling, yeah, And I get it. To me, that has to be about the evaluation of Travis Hunter. And I'm just a layman here and to me, the people inside the league and your job is to evaluate these prospects. And if you believe that this prospect, Travis Hunter, to me, is that special, really is the sho Heyotani of football, then you do it. Then you stand by that evaluation. And I like that Jacksonville has talked him up like that, seeing him as a boundary breaking type of player, and apparently, according.
Speaker 2: To you, the rest of the league disagrees.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to look bad in the long run. I think they're going to look back. Process only matters so much. If he really is showing atani, they messed up.
Speaker 3: So I'll just I'll put it to you this way. How you know how hard it is We're in a seventeen soon to be an eighteen game season. How hard it is for anyone to just make it and play the full seventeen or what soon will be eighteen games. That's a challenge. If you think about it, He's going to be counted on to play thirty six games in one season, like the that's what the holdback is from teams around the league, and I can understand that. It's like, this is an all lot to ask of a human being to hold up both sides of the ball in the National Football League against grown men for eighteen games. They don't think he's going to do that. They think he's going to end up majoring on one side and just doing a little bit on the other side. But that whole argument, if we got the top corner we got the top receiver, well they don't think the league doesn't think that he's going to be able to play that number of snaps at the NFL UP.
Speaker 2: I get that, and I would agree with it.
Speaker 1: But what if he's just the best receiver in the league, or top five receiver league or top five cornerback in the league, then he's worth that, And to me, someone that was able to achieve what he did and the way that he moves in college, he's about as good of a chance at a non quarterback position to come into the league and like have a Hall of Fame type of career. Maybe maybe I'll be wrong, and maybe you're just happy that your guy, Mason Graham did wind up going in the top five. Was there even like a second when that happened. Was there even a second when that happened on the set that you thought of me? And you're like, h I get to stick it to Rosen No.
Speaker 3: But I thought of not necessarily a view, but I thought of the I thought of the dad as a dad and thinking of happened, Say you've got a you know, my kids are a little bit older, but say you've got a fourteen year old son. And I do feel for the Browns because the Browns fans, because that dad went to bed telling the sun tomorrow, we're gonna go get a Travis Hunter Jersey. We're gonna watch this two way player, gonna be one of the most exciting players in the NFL going to the dog Pound for the next ten years. You're gonna love it. And then all of a sudden, the dead and then he's like, Dad, who's the Who's kind of the stubby kid from Michigan that we just took what happened to this whole promise that you gave me about this two way show Aotani that was coming our way to the Cleveland Browns. And I say that as someone who appreciates Mason graham On like you had him as a top five player. He ended up going in the top five. But I can I can get the the tough deal you're in there. If you're a Browns fan, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You have to explain to your kid.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, he only had five and a half sacks, but there's a lot of pressures.
Speaker 2: He's really impacting every day.
Speaker 3: It was like, never on the ground. Let's talk about son, let's talk about balance.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: He explain to my daughter. She's a huge ramster, And I'm like, you got to trust me. Aaron Donald really is one of the greatest players of all time. Because you're growing up, you're a kid, you maybe don't see it all. What was another big surprise for you out of the first round? Really the whole draft?
Speaker 2: You can go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I would say, just kind of piggybacking on that that we had another trade for a future first round pick that wasn't for a quarterback. Normally, when you're partying with next year's one, it's that aggressive, bold move because you need to pay the price to get the quarterback, and this time it was the Falcons trading next year's one to the Los Angeles Rams for James Pierce. And this is an example Greg of why teams try and guard information and keep information close to the best, because it got out it was very public that they had done a lot of work on James Pierce and that they really like James Pearson Atlanta and were considering taking him with the fifteenth pick. So that then arms less snead with the knowledge of how much they value that player and when they want to come back in he can drive a very hard price. And it's also probably understanding having worked with raheem like kind of how passionate he can be and once he sets his sights on something, he wants to get it done. So look, the Rams, that is a valuable lottery ticket that they now possess Atlanta. If they all stay healthy and all play up to their capabilities, that's a team that could they could win that division. But it's also a team with a quarterback in Michael Pennix, who unfortunately throughout his college career suffered quite a few injuries. If something unfortunately happened to him early in the year, the Rams could be staring at a top five pick, so it was a no brainer move for the Rams to pull that off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was shocking, and it's an underrated aspect of sports fandom that doesn't get talked about that much. If you root for a team, in this case it would be the Rams and you have a future first round pick of another team, it is very fun that year to root against that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I remember at.
Speaker 1: Celtics rooting against the Nets back in the day, event eventually got them Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown.
Speaker 2: Like, it's a sneaky fun thing. So like gid you an.
Speaker 3: Extra team, you get, you get two teams. It's your team and whoever's playing the Falcons next year, you're locked in.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: And I think that was a trade that Terry Fontineau makes in part because he's been there for a while.
Speaker 2: This is a go time type of year.
Speaker 1: They really focused on the defense all offseason, really didn't touch the offense at all, and they need to win now and they have a pretty good roster chance to do it. Most likely that pick is in the middle of the first round. All right, let's go to some of the favorite picks and fits. We can go back and forth, but since you know more than I do, why.
Speaker 2: Don't you get us going?
Speaker 3: Well, it's be I mean, not that much more. I'll go. I'll go Warren in the Colts. Tyler Warren to me, one of my favorite players in the draft come out of Penn State, and it was classic case of value because I thought he was higher rated than where he went. It was a fit. I can see him fitting in with Shane Steik and knows how to use a player like this. And then you look at you know, the the opportunity of where he was in the draft, like it all just came together perfectly for them for him to fall in their lap. It was one of those ones. As soon as they went on the clock, You're like, I will be shocked if this isn't Tyler Warren. And he's gonna be. He's gonna be a fun player to watch Andy. Just the fact that he wore forty four going to the place where that Dallas Clark wearing forty four is kind of fun as well.
Speaker 1: I love that he was someone I wanted to see where he landed before I thought about, like what he's going to be at the next level and thinking him with Shane Steichen in that offense, it's really exciting. I don't know what this Colts team is, but I do want to watch it to think about the group that they have now put together in terms of what they do after the catch, Like Tyler Warren is an absolute menace with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 2: Josh Downs, to me, is one of the most underrated players in the league.
Speaker 1: If you watch him last year, he took a big leap and he's a great young player. Michael Pittman is obviously terrific. Alec Pierce, you know, per catch was one of the best deep receivers in the entire NFL last year. You still have Adie Mitchell, you have the home run ability of Jonathan Taylor, and then you got all these quarterbacks and Anthony rich In, Theory, Daniel Jones, maybe even Riley Leonard who can run the ball, who can do a few different things.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this team is gonna be. They need to get it going now.
Speaker 1: Chris Ballard has been there for I believe nine years, and they gotta have a winning team. But I just think they're gonna be box office, which you don't really say a lot. I think it was a sneaky good weekend. If you think about a big picture, DJ, of the entire AFC South, like you added Travis Hunter, you added km Word, the Texans out some firepower like a division that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Get a lot of pop.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna move on, and speaking of your tight end, I'm gonna talk about another tight end, Mason Taylor, who I know was one of your favorite players in the entire process, and he goes to the Jets. And this continues a theme that I started on last week's show of forties and free Agents. I love what the Jets are doing this offseason. So really their first two picks are two of my favorite fits. Armand Membu, a right tackle that completes that offensive line. And then yes, Mason Taylor. Later on in the show, we're we're gonna do a segment DJ rookies that they're gonna have to have a big role early. Mason Taylor would fit in that segment too, because if you look at that roster, he could be the number two receiver on that team. He's going to have a role right away. He'll have the opportunity to start right away, very reliable, and then you add Membu on the offensive line. He's really completing an offensive line that I think Joe Douglas finally got right at the end of his tenure as the GM, and now the next regime comes in and kind of completes it. I really love what the Jets have done all offseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A couple of things on that. One is you knew they wanted a tight end and they wanted to tackle, and so when you looked at it, and we think we might even discuss this on the show, it just makes more sense order of operation. When you look at this draft class, it's a lot deeper tight end class than it is a tackle class. So get the tackle first. Even if you would have had you know, Tyler Warren or Lovelin grated a little bit above Membo, I thought it made sense to get the tackle on board, and then no, there's going to be a tight end waiting for you, And they ended up kind of pulling that thing off. And this will give you a little bit of a peak behind the curtain, so you know, you're trying to figure that out before the draft of you know who, you know who's going where. And I'm calling people all around these you know, colleges as well as teams. You still talk to some agents trying to get all this information together. I'm talking to somebody at the University of Missouri and I'm talking about how, you know, where I think these guys can go. We're talking about different places. And I was actually trying to figure out about the Saints because you have Kirby Moore as the offensive coordinator at Missouri, his brother Kellen Moore as the head coach of the Saints. So I was trying to fish around there see if I could find out anything about what's going on with the Saints, and would the Saints take Membo? And it's like, you know, I don't know they could. Yeah, they could, absolutely, that wouldn't shock me. You know, everybody likes him and stuff. But he was on a he was on a zoom with the Jets head coach and GM like this morning and this is like the day before the draft, Like, oh, he's going to Jets. Okay, let's just let's just keep the train moving here at Membo's gonna go there, And that kind of all just kind of worked out work together.
Speaker 2: See, this is why you have such a good mock draft. It's unfair.
Speaker 3: It's not. It's not. The hit rate is not high this year, but it's little. You get little, you get little nuggets around the way, and you kind of helps with some of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm annoyed at what a smart looking organization the Jets look to be this offseason.
Speaker 2: We'll see give me up.
Speaker 3: By the way real quick before before you leave the Jets, don't you think. Also just trying to Aaron Glenn that his time in Detroit informed what they did. Big heavy right tackle is a little bit better in the run game than the past game coming into the league. Pene seul athletic, tied end kind of rangey, can stretch the seam. Sam Laporta like it is. I went through a bunch of these picks and was trying to figure out what informed those decisions. And I'm telling you, where you come from does inform a lot of what you try and do.
Speaker 1: And what also informs me thinking about the Jets in general, is Aaron Glenn's got a lot of juice. I'm not saying that Darren Mujie, their new GM is an important part of the new administration, but I think you can look at different teams and think about is it top down?
Speaker 2: Is it coach led? This is an Aaron Glenn organization.
Speaker 1: I think you look at the offense with Tanner Engstrom, I think all around he's he's a veteran of coaching that is ready for this opportunity. And I'm with you, I think he's not going to out of the park and trying to be like the Lions. All right, let's go to another favorite pick for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna go Jalen Walker going to the Falcons. We talked a little bit about my surprise that they they made that bold move for Pierce to trade next year's one. This one was a no brainer, and this was fourteen to fifteen back to back. It was Tyler one going to the Colts. It was Jalen Walker going to the Falcons again, their biggest need, tremendous value with him being there, and I think there's not only the ability to rush the pass or he plays off the ball. He can do a lot of different things than them creatively. Greg to me, the fact that this guy's won a ton at Georgia, and the guy's played on great defenses and he's a leader, like they need some guys to kind of pull this group up. I don't think it's a I don't think it's a mystery how Philadelphia got their defense up and running and everybody talks about, oh they just keep going and getting all these Georgia guys. Well, that's a hyper competitive environment where they've done nothing but win and play great on that side of the ball. So I like that. And obviously you save on the airfare just getting to take a gas come on over.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love I love that they finally, you know, they get some juice. We'll see James Pierce seems like a boom er bust type of player. Would you rather if you just need a pass rusher? Would you rather have Michael Williams at eleven to the forty nine ers? And I know they were maybe looking for a different type of player, maybe more of a run sotopper, Or would you rather have Jalen Walker?
Speaker 3: Between those times, I take Walker, I mean I kind of went back, but you know, focusing on those guys, I think Walker is just more dynamic. I think he's going to make more plays. That's another whole conversation, different topic on the Niners. Who was fascinating to me that they kind of philosophically shifted a little bit with all the guys they got. They focused on guys who can stop the run, which maybe speaks to their belief that, hey, the Rams, you know, Rams are a smash mouth team, and if we have to get through the Eagles and the playoffs, they're a smash mouth team. They put a heavy emphasis on guys who can set the edge and a real firm point of attack players versus maybe some more, you know, more talented pass rushers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't the only ones.
Speaker 1: Like nose tackles are back, Like get Alliance A Lions did it. A lot of teams Omar and Norman Lot going to the Chiefs, a lot of run stoppers getting taken high. I'll go with the pick right after Jalen Walker and just go with Walter Nolan to the Cardinals. It completes an awesome offseason I think for making this defense go from really exciting to watch schematically to just talented. Walter Nolan I said it on this show, if you just watched this top twenty plays, I think it'd be the top defensive player in this class, maybe other than Travis Hunter. So the potential is there, and you just hope he lands in the right situation that can use his flexibility. That's Arizona. And then next to some good veterans who can show him the way. That's Kalais Campbell, that's Dalvin Tomlinson. So those are two new additions. Here's some more guys that are back dj for this Cardinals team, wrapping up the whole offseason. Darius Robinson, their first round pick, basically missed most of the last year.
Speaker 2: He'll be back.
Speaker 1: Bj Ojalari a pick from two years ago who looked great as a rookie and missed all of last year. He'll be back. And then you signed Josh Sweat, you draft Will Johnson. Baron Browning was a guy you added mid season and you kept. So I just look at Nolan as part of an entire influx of talent, and I think he's in a good situation to succeed.
Speaker 3: And for those that are listening and not watching this show right now, we've got to get a bigger hat for Walter Nolan. That's the first takeaway. The second takeaway is that I don't know if you're allowed in the building in Arizona. If you don't have a red tie on, Like God forbid somebody wore like a purple tie in that room. I mean they just send him. You just send him right home, like you do not come in this draft room unless you have a red tie on. But I do like to fit.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do love it, and I like I want the Cardinals. I like the teams that have been kind of ignored lately nationally, Jaguars, Cardinals. I like it when they kind of pop back up as national teams. I think the Cardinals could be good enough to do that. Let's wrap this up. Your your last favorite fit.
Speaker 3: Noh I mentioned the purple tie. It would be welcome in the Ravens draft room. And this is one of those ones we've talked about it. I feel like for months Malachi Starks just made so much sense for them. It just it frees up Hamilton to be able to play closer to the line of scrimmage. You get someone who can plays that high safety, who's got tremendous range. The intelligence and the communication is off the charts. When you talk to the folks at Georgia, it just look he's I'm never gonna compare anybody to Ed Reid. I was there with Ed Reid. He's in the conversations, one of the best safeties that ever walked the planet. But just some of the characteristics, the body type, the fluidity, the intelligence, the communication, the leadership, Like he does have a lot of those those things going in his favor. So it just felt very Ravens like. And they had overall had a really good draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in general, your favorite fits are just the teams that did what you would have done, you know, that did what you.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's what I always I always laugh at that, by the way, and it's I don't thankfully have to do draft grades, but it is. And people will go like, you're just saying that. He's like to like, well, yeah, that's why. That's how it works. Like you just kind of go like, this is the players I like, and whatever teams take them, I'm gonna praise those teams for taking the players I like. That's the whole this is the whole cycle of how this whole thing works.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense. We are going to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: We'll see if we have a cliffhanger here on the season finale of forties and free.
Speaker 3: Agents Get ready for the twenty twenty five NFL season like never before. With the highly anticipated NFL Schedule release, every game revealed, every rivalry, every rematch in every rookie debut. May fourteenth, mark your calendar and get all the details at nfl dot com slash Schedule Release.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back on forties in free agents, and I'm trying to recover from the break where DJ said he wanted to read the promo because he would be better at it than me.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's the.
Speaker 1: Scouting rid, I don't have the bass, I don't have the timber. What are you, James Earl Jones over there? What's going on?
Speaker 3: It's not about me being good at it, Greg, And I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 1: You know, next segment on the clock is going to be quarterbacks who had a good draft, and I don't mean quarterback that were drafted, but just kind of some quarterbacks who watched this draft. And we're probably at home and the happiest, and there's an obvious first answer.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see if you'll get to.
Speaker 3: It, I'm gonna go in New England. I love the Patriots draft, and it wasn't just offensive. They had some good defensive pieces they added as well. But when you look at Drake May, how stoked are you when you're going to get a back in Trayvon Henderson, Who's someone I cannot only throw the ball to and give me some easy completions. He's the best pass protecting back maybe in the last decade. So I'm going to get a better protection. So that's that's a huge win. We've upgraded the left tackle. People can argue about Will Campbell and debate him within this class, there is no argument that he's a much better option than what they were playing with last year. So you've upgraded a left tackle. Jared Wilson one of the most athletic centers, in fact, the most athletics center in this draft class. You bring him in, I think he's got a chance to be a long term starter. And then Kyle Williams someone that I think we both had it Infinity four. Greg, I know you brought him up in the past. I love his ability to win. He can win at the line of scrimmage, he can separate at the top of routes. I think he was fifty seven ish, fifty three ish, somewhere around that on my list. So they got tremendous value there as well. So for my money, Drake May was the big winner of the week.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't have to make a big board, but he would be in my top twenty five. I didn't see what was wrong with him. You know who reminded me a little. I saw this comp and then it stuck Greg Jennings. I think he could have a Greg Jennings, A.
Speaker 3: Nice kind of runs up on his toes like Greg Jennings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can do a little bit of everything. Sneak up on you. I love me some Kyle Williams, and look, Drake May was my favorite player in last year's because the Patriots maybe they're watching forties and free agents and just trying to make me happy. I'm gonna go with JJ McCarthy. This was for a few reasons. They focused so steadfastly all off season on their offensive line. They get the center and the guard from the Colts, of course, and then in the draft you get Landon Jackson, who to me was maybe the best last Donovan Jackson.
Speaker 2: Brought all season long. I keep getting the wrong Jackson.
Speaker 1: Donovan Jackson probably the best last starting offensive lineman that you felt good about and it was perfect. He fell to them at twenty four, and they really attacked that position.
Speaker 2: They've improved.
Speaker 1: You add a wide receiver in the second round, a little bit of a their third round rather after catchability. But I also thought the trade for Sam Howell DJ and let me know what you think about this was perfect for JJ McCarthy. It's like, Okay, here's a guy who's not really going to challenge you at all. We fully believe in you cut to this week, but he's already out there throwing passes to Jordan Addison. JJ McCarthy is healthy, and I just feel like they've spent this offseason quietly supporting all the pieces around him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean they revamped the interior, that offensive line and the tackles. When they get Darsaw back healthy, guy, he's a great player, So they're entire front five, I think you've got a chance to have one of the best offensive lines in the league. So I like what they did for JJ McCarthy. I'm with you on that. I support that. I'll go to Seattle and Sam Darnold, their new quarterback, having a nice draft. When you think about the pieces they had. Let's start Gray's Abel. I think one of the most consistent players in this draft, someone who you talk about acing the process. The tape was great at North Dakota State, he dominates the Senior Bowl, has a really good combine. The interviews everybody said were outstanding. They're excellent. So you get a plug and play guy who has legit five position flexibility, so as you have some injuries that are coming your way during the season, he's going to help you out with that versatility. So I like that pick. And then you look at a couple other pieces they got. Tory Horton to me, was a tremendous value out of Colorado State. He would have gone much higher. There was some injury stuff there that kind of pushed him down the board a little bit. But I think he's a perfect compliment to what they have in Cooper Cup and jsn someone who can play outside and can get vertical and make some plays down the field. And then Elijah Royo, to me, this is one of those funny things that happens during the draft. As you start hearing, well, you know, no might get traded, They're gonna move on from him. And then the guy that I compared as a younger better version of Noah Fan is the guy that they picked. So you get somebody again that can really run and can get some big plays. They're gonna be You know, this would be an interesting assignment for you, Greg is to go through and try and find out which teams are inside out teams in the NFL, Like who who are the teams that are really built slot receivers, tight ends, backs that can really just win in the middle of the field. The Seahawks have really really good group for Sam Donald working in the middle.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because when I think of Sam Donald though, like probably his weakness it's not over the middle of the field, but it's probably the intermediate level as a pro hasn't like been where he's won. He's one deep. But I'm with you, they got extremely good athletes. Of course, Jalen Milroe might be popping in there. I'm hoping for some Taysom Hill like packets. That would be a lot of fun. I got to go to Las Vegas and talk about my guy, Gino Smith. Not only did they you know, not draft a quarterback early, which they were looked at as possible Shuar Sanders team, and that didn't happen. But they take five of their first six picks on offense. You start with Ashton Genty, who's going to be able to keep them ahead of the sticks like that, that'll be Gino Smith's best friend. And then they take your guy, Jack Besh in the second round. I love Jack Besh, your favorite player in the draft. So a guy who they can really trust. And maybe you're not incredibly explosive at wide receiver, but you have an explosive tight end, you have an explosive running back, and you have some reliable threats hopefully DJ and Jack Besh and Jacoby Myers who's still there.
Speaker 2: So I like that.
Speaker 1: And they took a couple flyers on some tackles in the third round as well, which I notice a lot of the smart teams took took multiple flyers on tackles late in this draft because it's just so hard to take offensive linemen to find them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard, man. And I was talking to Bucky, I think we might have bound path the draft, but we were talking about Genty and was like, what is what's his role going to be? And he's like, man, they're gonna give him like twenty carries a game and I'm like, well, that's like halftime at Boise. So he's going to feel like that's a walk in the park. You feel like, where's my workload going here? I'm going to go to Houston and c J. Stroud as another kind of sneaky winner from the week. They went to Iowa State and got him a pair of receivers. We talked a lot about these guys in the run up to the draft, but Higgins, to me, Jaydan Higgins was one who reminded me of Nico Collins. Like a big, kind of a power for power forward body, but someone who can run small man routes because of his quickness, ability to get in and out of breaks, can track the ball really well. Got a ton of penalties drawn on him, a lot of defensive pass interference penalties that would have inflated his stats if he could throw those yards in there. But so you get him as a field stretcher. And then with Tank Dell's injury, you get Nol his teammate, so Jalen Nole, who can win in the slot with speed and with strength. He's got a lot of power to him. So like think of a stronger version of Tank Dell. Maybe not quite that top speed, but I think he'll be able to slide into that role. So I like those two fits. You go get Woody Marks out of us, who's one of the best pass catching backs in this draft. So that's gonna be a nice checkdown option for him to fit into that running back room. And then look Erstree. I wasn't quite as high on the big tackle from Minnesota, but again, you know, they needed to address that offensive line. That's a little bit of a boom bus pick for me, but at least they took their shot there. That's the only thing about this Texans team I know they you know, they wanted to move on from Tunsoul and they wanted to kind of remake that room. I'm not I need to see it. I want to see how this offensive line comes together. But when you look at the skill position talent that CJ. Stroud has, that's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: It's so deep.
Speaker 1: It's a team that's built too with stand in injury or two if they haven't. And the thing I liked about Higgins and Noel like they complimented each other very well in college, Like two very different skill sets, they can compliment each other very well with the Texans. All right, we mentioned some rookies, you know, I mentioned Mason Taylor might be a guy who has a big role right away, But I was trying to think of like some players we just bounced back and forth with a couple just that are gonna have to matter right away, and the first one that popped to my mind was Kenneth Grant. They were taking a position of need, and I mean, they had no one at this position, and I don't think it was a reach because I think Kenneth Grant was a good prospect and has a lot of upside. But he is a guy who I think is going to have to play right away for the Dolphins a significant role. And whether he can step into the NFL right away and matter, I think it's going to make a big difference for their defensive season. I don't know if you saw him more of a developmental guy or whether he'll be able to go there and contribute right off the bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had him in the twenties, I believe. I want to I want to pull that up. Kenneth Grant was my thirty first player that was one talking to people around the league when they were like, what surprised you. Him going that high was a little bit of a surprise around the league. So I do think there is a little bit of development there, but the you know, the raw tools to upside the size. You can see why, you know, Miami was excited about him. I look at guys, you need to step in right away and I'll go stay on the defensive line. I'll go Derek Harmon going to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's a good football player, someone who kind of lives on the other side of the line of scrimmage. But we had a chance to have Mike Tomlin on the on the broadcast on Day three, and it kind of almost caught me off guard because of how quick his answer was. But I asked him, I said, look, I don't think I said the two ninety nine number, but the Ravens ran the ball down their throats in that playoff game. And I said, you know, you've kind of you look at this draft and they got a lot of big bodies, edgesetters, run stuffers. And I said, how quick after that game before you turned your attention to try and rebuild this front or fortify this front so that something like this doesn't ever happen again, and he just looked right in the camera and said before I got in the shower, and then he did not say another word. And Okay, all right, yep, I think that was That's why you go out and get him and y A. Black and Jack Sawyer like big point of attack guys. You know that was kind of funny. But when you look at Pittsburgh now, look at their front seven and the depth that they have, not just the starters like they're backup outside linebackers are going to be Jack Sawyer and herbig on the other side. Those are good players. But you've got high Smith and then you've got TJ. Watt, Like they've got four guys there. They've got depth at linebacker now quarterback. We'll see how that all comes together. But that defense has a chance to be really, really deep and really really talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they're front seven on paper, or certainly their defensive line.
Speaker 3: Peyton Wilson's a good player, like.
Speaker 1: The absolute best in the league. That's why you have Mike Tomlin on it. I know you guys do every day three like he always was great. I'm gonna go with a guy and I've made this opinion after watching some of the press conferences, reading some of the local coverage, and its Demetrius Knight Junior for the Bengals, who was a bit of a surprise second round pick for them, and they expect them to start point blank.
Speaker 2: They've made it better.
Speaker 3: It's twenty five years old.
Speaker 1: Right, get I get it, But he wasn't a guy who necessarily was expected to go that early. They still have Jermaine Pratt on the roster. He is not expected to be on the roster, so he is not long for that team. And Night Junior, who kind of profiles as a similar type of player, I think the Jermaine Pratt is going to enter the league. I mean starting for a team that wants to compete for the Super Bowl at maybe the toughest position other than quarterback to a just right away. So I think that's a risky pick. I know they love him as a person, as a leader, his story, it's amazing, but he's going to be under pressure to play and play a lot and then I'll just throw a couple of running backs at you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Well, let me just pig you back on that real quick. One thing. I didn't get a chance to say this when he got picked. But one of the things I loved about him, it's like an old thing that I've always watched with players. I'm always curious to see what happens after turnovers with defensive players. Sounds weird, but there's always been a little connection there with great players. Like great players, when they get the ball in their hands to a they score, like that's just that's one thing. And then if a teammate gets it, you watch the effort with which they block to try and make plays. And there was a play you had two pancakes on a pick, like his teammate makes the interception, he goes and hunts up two different guys. It just shows like kind of a there's like a dog like want to thing there when you watch guys after turnovers. So the wiring with him is legit, Like he's absolutely wired the right way. He's a good player, he's the coverage thing is going to be a little bit of the thing he's got to work on. That showed up at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quietly the Bengals draft in general, because you could talk about their their third round guard Dylan Fairchild, their do it their first round pick. Among good teams they kind of need the most out of this rookie class. All three of those guys kind of have slots where you want them to come in and contribute quite a bit right away. So we'll see if that happens. And then yeah, I mentioned the running back R. J. Harvey for the Broncos, like he's the huge fantasy football winner, Like there's a wide open path to a big role there.
Speaker 2: And then Quid John let's go, but like more like do you think it could be more?
Speaker 1: Because you watch the more than I do, and he's an exciting player. Do you think like no one ever wanted to give Sprouls twenty touches the game, do you think Carvey could get that?
Speaker 3: I don't think you want him to touch it that many quite that many times. But I think the Bucky Irving a faster Bucky Irving, you know, with how he was utilized last year, especially coming down the home stretch, I think that's a pretty good Yeah, that's a pretty good way to use him. But the pass game stuff like I'm just going to see him I already know doing the charger games. I'm going to see him catch about fifteen to twenty of those angle routes getting ready for those games. Just Sean Payton's just going to have a field day with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I mentioned Quinnchot Junkins going to the Browns. They did take Dylan Sampson, who I liked a lot in the fourth round too, So maybe not all Judkins all the time, but I think it's going to be a lot of quinnch On Junkins And unfortunately, probably the end of Nick Chubb's running Cleveland, some some buzz that he might end up going to the Chicago Bears. Let's talk just quickly if any spots that weren't filled stand out to you. You get to the end of the draft, you can't get everything done. Anything stand out just.
Speaker 3: A Niners O line. I'm just you know, they went all defense, heavy defense, which kind of surprised me a little bit, just because you're getting ready to pay party. I thought, maybe try and you know, double down and invest in there. Like Pooney's a really good young player. I think he's got a chance to be a perennial pro bowler. They got a real good one there. It's just how much longer is Trent Williams going to play and trying to fill some of those other spots and provide some more depth up front. I just you know, I thought they could have upgraded the right tackle position, but it just didn't. You know, the draft didn't really fall that way, so they adjusted, they pivoted. But I think going into next offseason free agency in the draft, which again what a time to have a great show that combines both things, we'll be focusing on the forty nine ers trying to get better up front.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Here's the thing though.
Speaker 1: Every year I do this exercise, you know, the projected Starter series where I look at the team, and every year I'm like, man, are the forty nine ers? Like is their offensive line talented enough? Isn't good enough? And then at the end of the year, and I know last year wasn't their best year, but at the end of the year their first than all the yards per attempt and all the metrics, and they just seem to find a way at that position and cornerback where they just coach the heck out of it. And so I always I always air on the side of Kyle Shananne'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: I don't air that.
Speaker 1: Way when it comes to the Cowboys and their skill position weapons, and I love their draft, but they didn't take a wide receiver. What do you think about gold and Matthew Golden being on the board and they go with Tyler Booker there because they could They could have done it in the other spots, but especially right there. I was a little surprised because they are very thin there. There's some talk maybe Amari Cooper comes back to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just you know, i'd heard early on the process, and we talked about it on a bunch of our shows. They were kind of dialed it on interior offensive lineman, and then it was if Tetoroa McMillan was there. They liked him, so it was going to come down to that. So I had them taking I think I'm taking Gray's abel in one of them. You know, there was I knew they would if they were going to take an interior lineman. They prefer to trade back. But what looks like what happened is McMillan's gone. He goes to Carolina and they couldn't get out, so you're stuck and you just make the pick. And then the other thing I was told, which makes a lot of sense. I mean, this organization values guards. I mean, this is the home of Larry Allen, this is the home of Zach Martin. Like, they put a premium on that, and they think if they're really good with that interior that unlocks the run game, that's gonna be crucial in terms of giving a nice deep pocket to the quarterback. So, you know, compared to some other organizations like the Saints that we always talked about with Sean Payton, were an interior offensive line, you know, factory, and they believed in investing in that. I think the Cowboys would fall in that same vein. But I am with you, I am concerned about where else you're gonna throw the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dak Prescott has not been on the list of quarterbacks that are getting a lot of help in the offseason, and he's coming off another major injury that worries me. Another position that stuck out to me was just the Dolphin secondary, partly because Jalen Ramsey didn't get traded.
Speaker 2: But then after.
Speaker 1: The draft, and I know you've been in a little bit of a bunker, Chris Greer is talking their general manager and he said, well, we'll still handle that at the appropriate time. Jalen Ramsey did not make it sound like he is going to be on that roster. And then if you look at the details, they can save a ton of money against the cap if he's traded after June first, whereas they would have lost a bunch of money against the cap traded before. And suddenly I realized, oh, I shouldn't have expected him to get traded this weekend, so he's not expected to be there. And then if you look who's there at cornerback for them, their top three cornerbacks DJ cater Kohu, probably a slock guy, Storm Duck, great name, and then Cam Smith and Already Burns. They'll probably bring in some veterans. But man, that is a position group that I think Josh Allen, for instance, is going to look at and think like we can target that position group.
Speaker 3: I want to say Storm Duck at one point time might have gone to Apple, Aachian state. That name sounds very familiar. I have to double check my work on that one.
Speaker 1: But he looked good and trading camp and look good in the preseason last year, had some injuries.
Speaker 2: Storm Duck was I will big.
Speaker 3: Sense, I will remind you, and I'm not saying this because this would petition has to get more episodes of this limited series run that we're on right now. But we're not done with the acquiring season. You know, there's there's trades you can make going forward. There's guys still out there on the street. I think last year the Chargers, for example, it was a trade for Elijah Moulten, who ended up being a good player for them. They think they traded a six round pick. But Pree was hanging out there. They brought him in, played a nice role. There's still some guys out there. I just saw Bobby Trees just got signed, you know, So where'd he go?
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh? Maybe he is with the Steeler Woods.
Speaker 1: I giving Alan Robinson on the Steelers last year vibes, but I hope not because one of my one of my favorite players of the last decade, like Robert Woods, I love I love me some Robert Woods, one of my kid's favorite players as well. But you're right, there's about fifteen guys left on my top one oh one list.
Speaker 2: So people got to go to work. In terms of my go check it out, Go check out that list.
Speaker 3: NFL dot com slash Greg knows best I believe.
Speaker 1: Is Rossell Douglas I believe was like seventy six on that, which I thought was actually conservative.
Speaker 2: But he's out there. I think Miami has talked to him a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are wrapping up here on forties and free agents.
Speaker 2: But before we.
Speaker 1: Do that, we got we gotta put you on the clock. This is this is the segment that's been a lot of buzz all over the shot.
Speaker 3: Adam Seine has been it is his favorite segment. Let's let's give Adam what he wants.
Speaker 1: Here, all right, five minutes on the clock. Some questions for DJ before we get out of here. During the draft, Oh, I just love those chimes. How many guys were taken while you were on the set where you kind of like look through your notes and you just hope they didn't go to you asking for anything.
Speaker 3: So I think all total there was four or five, not more than that, four or five, and that's usually about normal, about four or five guys who got picked, None within the first five six rounds. I think they were all in the seventh rounds, just some random flyers, including mister irrelevant. But I'm always straight up honest on that, there's no there's no upside in trying to fake your way through an evaluation like I'm never going to do that. I'm just gonna be like, look, here's if we like we didn't have a bio on the guy who got picked last, like that was out of left field, but most of them you'd have a bio and and you know we're not going pick to pick at that point time in the draft either. But if they come to me on it, I'd be like, look, this is a guy who's six' one two o, five he ran four four, five he caught sixty five. Balls i'll be honest you THAT i did not watch. Him so that's HOW i handle.
Speaker 1: It ALTHOUGH i wouldn't have known on mister, elevant mister, irrelevant you you had some information WHEN i was, watching and your entire top one fifty got, drafted which is. Crazy so along those, lines when your top one fifty came, OUT i was actually talking to someone else and their immediate reaction to your top one fifty was who Is KeAndre Lambert? Smith and who you had around one?
Speaker 2: Five a wide.
Speaker 1: Receiver then five days, later The, chargers the team you work, for took him in the fifth. Round are they just drafting off your? List or are you now the SHADOW gm of The.
Speaker 3: Chargers, no that's a coincidence in a big. Way that is a. Coincidence there was one player who was DRAFTED i will remain nameless THAT i had a chance to talk to a coach who had not seen this player late AND i talked to him about a week ago AND i, said you gotta watch this. Guy and then lo and, behold they and not because of WHAT i, said but the other people in the building liked. Him but then this coach watched, Him he's LIKE i do kind of like, him and then they picked him in the Second.
Speaker 2: WOW i want to find that after the. Show i'm gonna find.
Speaker 1: Out speaking of The, chargers just Hamp omari And hampton Over Matthew golden and over trading. Down it was reported they had an offer from The eagles to trade. Down i'm just curious what your thoughts were on.
Speaker 3: THAT i would have liked to. TRADE i, mean, LOOK i Love, hampton and the funny thing Is hampton was my thirteenth. Player goal was my fourteenth, player SO i would have been just fine either. WAY i, mean they're both really really good. Players BUT i thought if they could have pulled. Off the TRADE i believe was what The. EAGLES i thought they were in a pretty good shot where your fallback, is, man we maybe we Get, hampton probably, gone but if we don't get, him we've Got Trayvon, henderson WHO i love as well as an option, there and maybe that gives you an. Opportunity as you, KNOW i was a Big Mason taylor, fan SO i thought maybe that could have FREED jep to try and to pull that daily double off. There But i'm not Gonna i'm not gonna fault The chargers at. All they got. It they got my thirteenth player with a twenty second, pick.
Speaker 1: All, right two minutes left. Here you're you're always so nice in your draft. Coverage if you were A, gm which is The Draft, hall you'd least have wanted to.
Speaker 3: HAVE i was A, gm the least The draft halls favorite draft class.
Speaker 2: Got you gotta put someone out on Front street.
Speaker 3: HERE i, MEAN i didn't love The bengals. DRAFT i didn't love. IT i think they got some, good solid, players but it's just HOW i had them. STACKED i would have gone in a little bit different. Direction but, hey they've Got Joe burrow and they'll make it all.
Speaker 2: Work did you have a favorite one out?
Speaker 1: There and by the, way, yeah, Now Duke tobin's not going to return your calls for the next.
Speaker 3: Year duke does a great. JOB i Love.
Speaker 2: Duke do you have a favorite? Draft favorite draft? Hall?
Speaker 3: YEAH i Was New. England New england was my favorite draft. HALL i love what The patriots. Did, YEAH i was fired up for.
Speaker 1: Them are you aware that last week an article was written about this show that called, us quote THE Nfl draft tag team Champions and in the.
Speaker 2: Article this is a QUOTE.
Speaker 1: Dj it said THAT, I Greg rosenthal have a draft intellect that is through the roof your.
Speaker 3: THOUGHTS i didn't know you wrote under an alias that would be my. Thought that's.
Speaker 2: AMAZING i MEAN i had a few options to choose. FROM i mean very.
Speaker 3: Kind how long did it take you to write that? Thing by the, way it was very. Long.
Speaker 2: Yeah check Out Barret. SPORTS i loved.
Speaker 1: IT i want to compete next year at twenty twenty. Six hopefully we're doing this. Again who are some names you're excited about THAT i should check.
Speaker 3: Out for next? Year? Sure draft, Wise i'm always looking at the. Quarterbacks Leonora sellers At South. Carolina i'm excited to watch. Him Drew, ALLER i know of The year didn't finish up the way he wanted to in his final, game but he's, big, strong got a lot of ability, there So i'm curious to see. Him Caleb downs is going to be a lot of, fun the safety At Ohio, state big time.
Speaker 1: Player all, Right and then, finally did you enjoy this? Show and will we do it? Again you have five?
Speaker 3: SECONDS i did love, it AND i hope that it comes.
Speaker 2: Back oh look at D. J that's why he kills me all season and at the, TIME i.
Speaker 3: Think there's something. Here, Man i'm not even. Joking there are a lot of. People there are a lot of my friends inside the league that have really enjoyed. This they've gotten to know you through this, process and they've enjoyed the heck out of. It and Then i'm sure you know there's you got your legion of fans you, know worldwide that always have hated me because you've talked so poorly about me over the years on all your, shows AND i think they're, realizing, like, hey he's not. Terrible you, know he's not. Terrible, NOW i think that means we got. SOMETHING i think that means we really have something.
Speaker 2: To all those people inside the league where you've. Been let's get. Going i'm with.
Speaker 1: You this has been a ton of, fun forties and. Freedoms we will try to find a way to keep this thing. Going thanks for all that you. DO, dj and, yeah we'll see you next draft, season hopefully Before, yeah
Speaker 3: Yeah i'll come out that see, you, buddy