Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Still waiting any further word on Trevor Lawrence's ankle, probably having an MRI or had an MRI, and then we'll probably hear from Doug Peterson a little bit later on today. I don't know if Jake Browning is the second coming of Nick Foles, but he certainly looked good last night for the Cincinnati Bengals. Jake Browning looked like Joe Burrow. But if you're the Jacksonville Jaguars standalone game, you have to win that game.
Speaker 3: I know you had a chance to win it.
Speaker 2: Trevor Lawrence goes down with a sprained ankle, but you shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. You want to prove that you're one of the elite teams, and you could have taken advantage of that game last night.
Speaker 3: With a win.
Speaker 2: You would have had home field advantage with some tiebreakers in there. That's what you need. You don't want to be going to Kansas City. You want to be staying at home hosting those teams. Good team, but I don't know if they're a great team, and we keep waiting for that. And with Trevor Lawrence banged up, short work week, now you go to Cleveland to go against that defense. Granted Cleveland doesn't have a quarterback, but that defense is going to be barreling down on Trevor Lawrence if he's able to play.
Speaker 3: But give credit to the Bengals.
Speaker 2: They are at least alive because there are a few teams that are alive right now in the AFC, and Cincinnati is in the mix. Mixed reports on Zach Wilson reports yesterday saying that he told players, staff and coaches that.
Speaker 3: He didn't want to play.
Speaker 2: He was apprehensive about putting himself out there and maybe injuring himself. And we brought up I think I guess all sides with this. Did Jets quit on him? He's quitting on the Jets. They gave him a big second chance. You're going to give him a third chance here. It's career suicide. He wants self preservation. I don't want to play. I might get hurt. He's killing his career in the process. If the story is true, that that's what he said. Now I get it. You don't want to be behind that offensive line. I understand that. What happens the next team you go to? What if they have a subpar, substandard offensive line? Do you say I might want to get behind them. You have to play, you have to want to play. But can you get out in front of this today? Can you say something? Should you say something? If it's not true, you better be saying something. But there's reports that Aaron Rodgers is sort of a mediator in this, so there is something to this. To what extent was he joking? Was he sort of, Oh my god, I got to get behind Huh, I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Be running for my life?
Speaker 4: Is that it?
Speaker 3: Why is Aaron Rodgers involved in this?
Speaker 2: If it's a off the cuff now sort of hey, yeah, uh sure, yeah, I'll get back there. I mean, what could happen? You know, I get killed? What's going to happen today? That's what I want to know? And you got those reporters are ready to go, because if I'm there, I want to know. I mean, Aaron Rodgers is on McAfee today, I'm going right there. First question, when's the last time you talked to Zach Wilson? Can you give me an idea. What the conversation was like, did he say he did not want to play? What was your advice to him? Who do you think is the quarterback going to be? Next game? That's where I go. I mean, we can get to Aaron's Achilles. We'll get to that in the timeframe. It's still there, by the way. Let's get to Zach Wilson all right, eight seven seven three DP show Email Adder SDPA, Dan Patrick dot come Twitter handle at DP show.
Speaker 5: Aaron, did you talk to Zach? There was a communion What do you mean am I talking to Yes, we have an understanding out of community. Sometimes we don't need to talk. There was a certain expression.
Speaker 6: Mutual.
Speaker 7: What does it mean to tell someone? What does it mean to hear him?
Speaker 3: UH?
Speaker 2: Heisman finalists Jaden Daniels, consultation I've had Jaden Daniels, Ayahuasca was involved, Marvin Harrison Junior, the third, bo Nix and Michael Pennox.
Speaker 3: Let's guess the order of the Heisman voting.
Speaker 7: Oh, guess that order?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And once again I was asked by the Heisman committee not to say that I voted for uh, Jade and Daniels. So I am not going to say that, Todd, what's the order.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna say, Daniels one, Pennix two, Nicks three, Harrison.
Speaker 5: Fourth, Thanks Seed, no Ol Connor same, Daniels, Pennix, Nix, Harrison.
Speaker 3: Hey, Marvin, that's three for three, think Paulie.
Speaker 7: I have to go with Michael Pennox winning it in one of the closest ones of all time over Jaden Daniels, Bo Nick's third, Marvin Harrison Junith four.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be a landslide for Jadeen Daniels.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put Pennix in their second because he beat bo Knicks twice. I'm gonna put I'm gonna put bow Nicks in third, and Marvin Harrison.
Speaker 3: Junior the third.
Speaker 5: Four out of five.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so uh yeah, Jayden and Daniels is gonna win. The high school got that token wide receiver. Yeah, inclusion we have that quarterbacks? Is that just quarterbacks? We got a wide receiver. We had a wide receiver winned a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: That was probably Davante Smith computer in that wild who finished second in that Heisman race, Because I Davante Smith was a difference maker, and you know when they had one or two receivers went down with injuries.
Speaker 3: I mean he played, waddle went down. He played wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Paul Trevor Lawrence finished second behind Smith that year. Mac Jones was third. Ooh, I'm looking in the past ten years.
Speaker 3: That's not aging well.
Speaker 7: Position non quarterbacks to make the top three. Bryce Love of Stanford in twenty seventeen, Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey were one and two in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, hello, twenty twenty. People voting on something and it's wrong. Hello, Yeah, No, we're hello people, wake up. Of course, a wide receiver one at that year. We're not going to stole it.
Speaker 6: We're not.
Speaker 3: Alabama stole that Heisman.
Speaker 5: Hello, check the machine, righty, It's funny that.
Speaker 3: Is twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: I didn't go to a wide receiver nowhere man, all right?
Speaker 2: Are we changing up the pole question for the final hour because we did the best nine and three team? We did, But that's recency bias. I guess we're going to get that with the Niners.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't know, they're pretty good. This year turns out well and they lost three in a row. They the Niners have.
Speaker 5: Sixty nine percent of that vote, the best nine and three team, then the rest. We have two teams coming in with eight point four to five percent of the vote. Those are the next two. Those are they're tied for second. That's the Dolphins and Ravens. You want to guess last place between the Lions and the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Lets say the Lions the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Oh, what's that all about?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, once again, we keep waiting for Dallas. All it matters is what they do in the postseason. They were thirteen and three a few years ago. All we wanted to know was what were they going to do in the postseason? And the way they flamed out the last two years, there's really no indication to think that they're going to be different this year.
Speaker 3: But I do think they're I I think.
Speaker 2: They might be better than the Eagles relaxed, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Sorry, just.
Speaker 2: And look, I'm not a Cowboy fan or apologies here. I just I think they figured out what they're doing, they figured out who they are. It is December, though, are we rolling on this back after this season?
Speaker 3: Does Zach Wilson ever start an NFL game? Yes? No, Paul, you put down other I just wanted to give you a I feel bad for the kid. Yeah, yes, no other Yeah.
Speaker 7: It feels like everyone saying his career is over. His career is over. Josh Rosen got chances. Everyone gets a second chance.
Speaker 2: But Josh Rosen didn't quit on a bad That Arizona line was as bad a line as I've seen in years, and he did not go, oh, I don't want to play.
Speaker 3: I might get hurt now. He could have said, hey, I don't want to play.
Speaker 5: You know, it didn't seem like he got that many chances though. He was kind of in and out of the league. Yeah, before he even noticed. I think he got a chance as a third string quarterback. I don't think he got a chance to play much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, after Arizona, where they gave him one year and thirteen starts, where his stats were similar, Like they weren't, they're pretty bad. He started three games for Miami. He was on the Atlanta roster in twenty one.
Speaker 2: No starts, and he had that hot tub in his room legend. I know that's where you don't let people know you have a hot tub in the room. You let people know who you want to come over, but you don't let that get out. Hey, come on in, here's my hot tub and that's pre nil hot tub.
Speaker 9: You know, yes, yes, marm Guys like Josh Rosen and Jake Browning. Let me know that quarterbacks you'd be able to leave after like their sophomore years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Jake Browning had forty three touchdown passes when his sophomore year at Washington. I remember, I think we might have had him on because he was like Heisman buzz. You know, hey, let's get Jake Browning on. Let me see what else do we have. Booger McFarlane will join us coming up. By the way, the show Heyo Tawny decision is starting to ramp up a little bit. But what you're going to find, I think interesting and unique about this situation is it's basically Otani and his agent. Nobody else. Uh Buster only of the Mothership said nobody has anything because there's no leaks, but it's been reported Otani met with the Blue Jays in Florida.
Speaker 3: Somebody leak that.
Speaker 2: You have a couple of teams that will not say the Giants to me are the favorites. They are the favorites to get Otani and I have no information on it other than I felt that all along that's where he would end up. But we will play the Otani game tomorrow where we think he'll end up, and we'll throw in how much money over under five hundred million dollars?
Speaker 3: Yes, Martin, you.
Speaker 9: Know what for Friday, we should do artists from the city that you think Otani's going to.
Speaker 6: So you pick a band from San Francsince I got.
Speaker 3: The Bay I got a lot of music there.
Speaker 9: So if I think he's going to Toronto, I'll take Drake or you know, New York.
Speaker 3: You can get whoever.
Speaker 2: The Cubs Chicago Cubs are in there, Chicago Artist Show. Yeah, absolutely, Okay, So Friday Otani game, musicians from the city where you think he'll go. It's a little clumsy, Yeah, a little clumsy there, but we'll we'll workshop that.
Speaker 6: At least they're alive, we hope some of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not doing dead although the Grateful Dead from the Bay Area, Is that right, Seaton?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah you could.
Speaker 2: I mean Jerry Garcia is not alive, but the dead is still alive. Bob Weird believe John Mayer John Mayer face guitar face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, got it.
Speaker 6: I love.
Speaker 2: You can't watch John Mayer without thinking John Mayer guitar face.
Speaker 5: That's why whenever I'm playing my guitar, I'm like, now I know why I'm not any good at this because it doesn't move me into making that.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I just play it.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, this is fun.
Speaker 3: I never get there.
Speaker 7: Never do that with this thing. With the bands, we have to be a very specific seat and help me out here. If you think he's going to the Dodgers Otani, you have to pick a Los Angeles band. If you think he's going to the Angels, you had to pick up Orange County band, which I think that's a very different tone.
Speaker 5: Gonna be a lot of pop punk for the Offspring, No doubt this crack full.
Speaker 3: Of there you go waste my time.
Speaker 5: Alright, Mark Killing, We gotta get out of this credit beach front town.
Speaker 9: Huntington Beach is no place for me. Parents want me to do right, surfing all day, waste my tent.
Speaker 7: I got Orange County bands. We got a lot to work with you. I got Sublime, I got Social d Seat and Social distortion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 7: I got the Offspring. Okay, all right, we're just right of Nutsberry Farm. Okay, all right, what if he returns to the Angels? You know, after all this, they got a lot of money, and they're the ones who initially green led him to do both pitching and hitting.
Speaker 3: Lots of money.
Speaker 5: No pressure, yeah, no, let's say out of pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get October's off Yeah, no playoff pressure. Okay.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Aaron Judge he got three hundred and sixty million, or you want Let's say I get Aaron Judge and I get two hundred, let's say one hundred and fifty million to play with, because that's what it's going to cost Otani. You get Otani for let's say five hundred and fifty million, ten years. I get Aaron Judge and then I'm going to get another player for one hundred and.
Speaker 3: Ninety million dollars. How about that?
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Aaron Judge and one hundred ninety million to play with with your or Sho heeo Tani for five hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, I.
Speaker 8: Will take Judge in the one ninety I'm concerned about that surgery, and who knows what his future is going to be as a two way player.
Speaker 6: It's way too much money.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't want anybody for ten years. I mean my wife, but and my kids and you guys, of course, yeah, we're on a solid I think I've worked for you for eighteen eighteen years. Yea, and I'm the one of the junior guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But you just don't want to sign up for that, Like Juan Soto, you want to sign up ten years. Like you got Machado, Do you want him ten I don't want those players. For Bryce Harper, you know, he's gonna turn out to be a bargain. And I think they spread out his deal where it's not, you know, really prohibitive.
Speaker 5: But yeah, what if you spread it out over forty Yes, play as long as you want, but we're gonna pay you over the FORTI It's kind of the way a lot of these deals are, right.
Speaker 2: We look at Mookie Betts with the Dodgers. I think he's gonna get like, what, ten to fifteen million for the next thirty years.
Speaker 5: But what's crazy, though, is that in thirty years that fifteen million dollars isn't going to be worth nearly what fifteen million dollars is when he signed his contract.
Speaker 3: Still going to be worth millions. Yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 5: It's not going to be what millions really are.
Speaker 3: Crypto, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pully Mookie BET's contract with the Dodgers ends in twenty thirty two. His playing contract, his deferred money from twenty thirty three to twenty forty.
Speaker 3: Four is a total total.
Speaker 7: Of one hundred and fifteen million dollars spread out over that eleven years where he will not be playing baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, smart, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm sure they have these Harvard and you know, Wharton and all these business school guys that tell your women, who tell you this is why it makes financial sense. Somebody has to say to you, hey, if you sign Otaani, this is the money you're going to make. Well, I know I have world marketing here. I want to know if he's going to be able to play. Let's start there, ten years, another Tommy John surgery. How many starts is he going to get? Does he eventually become just a hitter. Now I'm spending five hundred and fifty million dollars on him for ten years as a hitter? Got I would have to know what is my windfall going to be on this? What if we don't make the playoffs, like do we have to make the playoffs? Or you win a world shiit? I know all of those things. I'm sure there's really smart people, although I've been doing this a long time and it seems like they're really stupid people when it comes to spending that kind of money. Let's take a break. Booker McFarlane is all excited. He is fired up still about Florida State. I'll let him speak his piece there, and then I'll remind him that this is a talent show.
Speaker 3: It's a beauty pageant. You don't know the rules, but you know the end result.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately we wanted chaos, God chaos, and now there's chaos because there's cass or something like that. All Right, we'll take a break back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Mather Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you Will? A world where we chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week. Explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: More than one thousand players have entered the Transfer portal, including some starting quarterbacks. I'm curious about these bowl games because like UCLA with Dante Moore, he's transferring from UCLA. Former five star quarterback Riley Leonard at Duke they play Troy, he's in the portal. Jordan McCloud's in the portal. James Madison against Air Force. Every one of these schools. Max Johnson is leaving A and M A and M plays Oklahoma State. Will Howard Kansas State quarterback. He's in the portal Kansas State's bowl game against NC State. Dylan Gabriel Oklahoma they play Arizona. Dj Uyunga Lala he is transferring from Oregon State and they play Notre Dame. Kyle McCord with Ohio States in the transfer portal. Everybody is got a quarterback in the transfer portal. Feels like in these bull games.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paulin, could we have Transfer Portal Day like we used to have National Signing Day? Three hats in front of you. You take the hat of the school you're with currently, you put it down, and you replace it with your new team. Made for TV on ESPN Fox. We could do this at the old signing Day.
Speaker 2: Eh, there's only a couple of those players that I really care about.
Speaker 3: Portal Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, celebrate National Portal Day, all right? We make these smooth segue to Booger McFarlane, football analysts for The Mothership, appears on college football coverage throughout the season and the ESPN's Monday Blitz.
Speaker 3: Other studio shows.
Speaker 2: He was all fired up Yesterdair Sunday talking about Florida State. I'm bringing Booger in here. If you were in the committee room and they were just ready to go out and announce who was going to be in last call, what would you have said to the committee members to make sure that Florida State was going to be in the final four?
Speaker 4: Because I think we have a.
Speaker 11: Problem, and the problem is this is that we're making judgment inside this room on what we think is going to happen on the field. And need I remind you Friday night we watched Oregon play Washington. Everyone that I talked to outside of the state of Washington thought that Oregon was a better team than Washington. Vegas had him as a ten point favorite, depending on which book you looked at.
Speaker 4: Washington won.
Speaker 11: Tu Lane was a favorite over SMU. Everyone thought that Tulane would beat SMU. Vegas had him as a favorite. SMU won the game with a second team quarterback then, and I think I would have told everybody, let's be careful. This sport has always been a show me sport. You played on the grass between the white lines. And regardless of what we think we know, how many times have we been surprised by teams making a run, whether it's Pro football or college football. Remember the New York Giants nine and seven wildcard team barely got in. Remember those Giants, And I think we all know what happened that season. You never know what's gonna happen, and I think we better be careful when we start playing the game inside a nice, comfortable room eating scrambled eggs and bacon and you know, nice little warm fire there because the game is not played that way. And I would have just put my put my microphone down and told them all, if you can honestly say that you know that, you know that Florida State can't win a game or two in the playoff, then you can sleep well at night.
Speaker 4: But I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the cruel reality of this booger. It is a is a beauty pageant at the end of the season. Everything that is window dressing during the season. Where are you top four or five? Who's in? Who's all of that? It comes down to the bottom line. It's gonna be fan bases that travel games that are interesting. Will you go to two bowl games? Will you fill up the stadiums? Will people tune in to watch this? There's a lot of ancillary things that happen here. I don't think the ACC is viewed as a true power conference. I think it's the Big ten and in the SEC Pac twelve probably with their conference schedule this year, better conference than the ACC. I think this was a reality check for the ACC of where they stand in college football. We may not like it, but there's unwritten rules. You go undefeated, you're supposed to play for a national championship. Well, if you have your starting quarterback, I certainly understand that. And even if they're backup quarterback booger, if they put up twenty eight points against Louisville, I think they're in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think I think the committee looked at this and went, there's no draw with this team.
Speaker 3: There's no reason.
Speaker 2: If Jordan Travis plays, then yes, but they it's unfair. But it's the reality of this, and that's what people have to understand. It's about money and it's a bottom line business.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 11: Dan, I'm gonna disagree with you right there again. I think you're doing the same thing if you're projecting, yeah, it's a draw. But football has never been about.
Speaker 3: I'm not agreeing with it. I'm explaining it bigger.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, I get that, but football is football is a sport.
Speaker 11: Man like we watch football because we never really know any given Sunday. That's the old cliche. And so when you start talking about the draw and the matchup and what's sexy, who cares what's sexy? This is not this is this is not a sport like figure skating. This is not that it's never been that. So even though we want to make it that out to be a beauty pageant, the innate nature of the game of football takes you away from being that. And so I hear you, and I hear everybody that's saying, Man, it's about the money and the matchups and all these different things. Yeah, to a certain extent, you can schedule those matchups in the non conference, but when you start putting together a playoff that is earned. That is something that is earned. And so I will go to my grave saying that Florida State based on what we do. And to your point, here's what I'll say to you. So ten of the thirteen members on the committee were the same last year. Okay, there's three of their different last year. I think you and I can both agree Alabama, who lost to Tennessee, who lost the LSU, was a better team than TCU. Yeah, I think they were a better team. TCU lost the conference championship to Kansas State. They put TCU in the playoffs. So why last year did we not go and get the best team last year?
Speaker 4: What's the difference? To me? There is no difference.
Speaker 11: So I just think based on the people in that room for whatever reason, and I'm not going to speak for them. They made up in their minds that Florida State can't compete, and there are coaches in the room. There's two coaches in the room, and I can't believe those two coaches let that happen. And maybe they would the ones who were in the forefront of leading the charge.
Speaker 4: I have no idea. I wasn't in the room.
Speaker 11: I just think it's a dangerous game to play sports inside the room instead of on a court or on the grass.
Speaker 3: I agree, I understand it.
Speaker 2: I just try to explain what was told to me by you know, a higher authority involved in college football.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with it?
Speaker 3: I know it's a TV show. I know it's not what I asked dan. Do I agree with the four teams that.
Speaker 4: Are in correct? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And why is that?
Speaker 2: I once again ideal in reality of a bottom line, and that is these these are sexy matchups. Marquee mat Texas might be the best team. You got Harball in there, you got Nick Saban Alabama. I mean, Washington has a great quarterback wide receiver, Like we want to see excitement this. If the NFL could prevent a team from the NFC South from hosting a playoff. Don't you think they would do that? Don't you think?
Speaker 3: But they can't.
Speaker 2: They couldn't. They can't. But college football can create we eight what they want to create. The NFL can't. The NFL would go, hey, you know who's in Cowboys and the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: They're in the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Hey, Atlanta's going to host a playoff game and may have eight wins on the season.
Speaker 3: They can't control these.
Speaker 4: Dan If that's the case, why we're playing the games?
Speaker 2: Well, I understand what you're saying. I just have to look at both sides with this. Do I think Florida State has an argument?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Do I feel bad for that coach, that team, that quarterback. Absolutely, But I've been around for a long time doing this and understanding what motivates the reason why we're going to twelve teams is why booger? Because of money? Why did we go from two to four when they finally realized how much money they could make. That's why we're going to twelve. March Madness used to be thirty two teams, it's sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Why it's money. It's not always fair, and that's that's where I end on.
Speaker 5: Its money. It's unfortunate, but it's money.
Speaker 3: I get it all.
Speaker 2: Right, Boger McFarlane joining us on the program. If you were a member of the New York Jets today and Zach Wilson came into the locker room as a veteran, what would you say or do?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 11: I think we all have a job, and this is called pro football. Like, we're all men in here, and we get paid a lot of money to do this job. And if he's been deemed to be the next man up to come back in and play quarterback, I understand the sensitivity, and I understand the emotion.
Speaker 4: That's a very sensitive position. That is a very.
Speaker 11: Mentally challenging issue they have in New York. But at the end of the day, I would tell him, you're a professional if it's yours. It's no different in baseball. If it's your turn to grab the ball, you grab the ball and you step on the mount. If it's your turn to get under center, you go in to centerment. Now here's what I would say. I would tell the coach if you want me to go back under center, I'll go back under center. But don't pull me. Let me play because this yo, yo, going back and forth. I can't do that now. If you want me, you want me. If you don't, then tell me you don't. But what I'm not going to do is I'm not going to subject myself mentally to going in and out based on the emotion of it an organization and a fan base who ultimately doesn't want me.
Speaker 4: They want Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 11: And so I understand as a veteran player what's going on in that locker room. Everyone in that locker room wants a different quarterback. The only reason they want Zach to play is they're trying to get competent play now until Eric can hopefully miraculously come back from this Achilles. So I truly understand. Damn, it's like this. I'm a married man. I think you are too. Imagine if your wife said, hey, I want you to hang around another month or two until this new hot, young, hot, young sexy guy comes along, how the hell would you feel? I mean, come on, man, And So I get what Zach's going through. But at the end of the day, this is professional football. You get paid to check every Tuesday, you grab the ball and you go play.
Speaker 2: I get what you're saying, and it's an intelligent take on that of let me play good or bad. Support me, but don't all of a sudden, after you know one half, you're gonna bench me and then I have to regroup and then get ready for the following, you know, like Mac Jones like don't, yeah, you can't. You're you're not going to get any progress. Mac Jones is dead in New England, Like he's done right, Yeah, I mean, it's just it's amazing. It's amazing. Though we want and that's the one position you have to have confidence of all of them, we're going to take away your confidence.
Speaker 3: Now go get him.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if maybe he said that in a way and it's being spun in a different way like hey, I go out there, but support me. If not, then I don't want to go out there. Because now Aaron Rodgers gone involved as a mediator here, and it feels like there's more to it. I don't know if we're making more therefore, that's why it's become a bigger story.
Speaker 11: I would tend to agree with you without understanding the entire conversation or the entire quote that's being spread out there about he doesn't want the ball. I would need to know more. Generally speaking, again, we're pro football players. We line up and we go play. They're extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 4: In New York.
Speaker 11: He's he started, he's been like, he's been benched. If you go back to his entire career, he's been benched, what two or three times, maybe even more than that, And so you have to understand the context of what's going on with this young man. I've been very critical of Zach Wilson going back when he didn't accept blame for how bad he played, and so I think the kid has been through a lot. I would just be careful from New York. Uh, they made the first mistake by making him the back up you didn't want to move on. Bring somebody else in and not a situation becomes less toxic. And so hopefully after this season, regardless of whatever Aaron does, if Aaron's gonna come back for another year, they get another backup quarterback. Let the young man go on about his business, because it's clear to me they don't want him in New York. They need him, but they don't want him in New York. And I don't think the fan base wants to meet.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking at some numbers, the number of quarterbacks who have played so far this year. I think it's seventy quarterbacks have thrown a pass. They can't make it any safer, can they.
Speaker 11: I mean, what are you gonna put flags on? I mean, so you can't touch it? Listen, Dan, the rules are so bad right now. Sap and I were talking about this. If you go and sack a quarterback, somewhere between hitting the quarterback and on the way to the ground, you have to figure out a way to levitate that way you don't land on the quarterback too hard. Like, come on, man, seriously, Like some of these things are defined human logic, Like it defines physic. How can a three hundred pound guy stop his weight in like a half a second and then roll over? And I'm like, come on, guys like you may as well put a flag on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, Trevor Lawrence got injured by his own teammates. So it's some of these injuries are preventable and some are you know, self induced here, So that's where I don't know what else you can do other than what we've already done, which is above and beyond the call of duty.
Speaker 11: I was sold this years ago and it's still true. It's not if a quarterback or a player is gonna get hurt, it's win. We all get hurt. To think about the great quarterbacks, and they've all been hurt. Brady Manny, Rogers, Rivers, Matt Ryan, I mean, just go down the list. All of them have been hurt at one point or another. Like, this is not a game where you're gonna stay pain or injury free your entire career. Patrick Mahomes had a dislocated me, like everybody has. You get hurt in this game. And so to your point, can they make it any safer? No, But you can do You can do the old Payton manning. Anytime anybody gets near, just fall down. I think that's the only thing quarterbacks you do.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. I keep fighting a good fight there. Booger, Thank you.
Speaker 11: Always enjoyed being on with you man, Happy holidays, you and the crew.
Speaker 4: Man love this show. Love talking to you all the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Booger. And that's Booger mcfireland of the mother Ship.
Speaker 2: He appears on ABC's college football studio coverage as well the ESPN Monday Blitz and other studio shows. Now, I love the passion I do. That's why I invited him on. We weren't going to agree, but mine is just reality. I'm not rooting for or against. Yes, yeah, I agree with a lot of what Booger says. But a lot of analysts and media people have picked up on this figure skating line right now.
Speaker 5: Last year, now it just turns into figure skating. No, no, no, no, It's always been figure skating. You guys are just realizing that it's always been the rules on which this was changed, didn't They're now no different than last year or the year before. It was figure skating. Then it was figure skating then too. You have style points, you have strength of schedule, you have what conference you play in versus what conference you don't. That's all figure skating.
Speaker 3: It's all subjective, it is. We like for it to be simple. It's not.
Speaker 2: And you know, once again, we're going to twelve teams. Why money two to four? Oh my god, look at the money we can make. That's what this is all about. March Madis was thirty two teams when I was growing up. It's sixty eight. Why honey, it's where I always come down to. I settle on the bottom line with it. I don't like it, but that's what it is. I'm not part of the committee, not involved in anything. They have to answer for it, but they don't even have to answer for it. It's basically just faceless people in there. They got one spokesperson. He comes out and you know, boo Corrigan goes, uh, all right, and here are the teams. Well, why'd you do that? Well, I don't know. This year is different than last year, and it will be different next year. And then you know, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: As we said, it's kaiser SoSE.
Speaker 7: They pop their head up every once in a while, they talk, they give some type explanation. You don't see them for a while.
Speaker 2: I remember I railed on the BCS. They just said, go to four teams. Let's get more teams involved in this. Give teams a chance. Now we have twelve. That might be too many. We're not going to stop at twelve, folks. Not all right, We'll close up shop here after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio W app.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow? Try to accomplish all of those goals. I'm looking at quarterbacks right now are questionable. The Raiders situation, Jags, and the Saints. Quarterbacks who are out looks like the Steelers, Jets, Colts, Browns, Bengals, Giants, Vikings if you look at their starting quarterbacks. The number of injuries to quarterbacks that are keeping them out for a sustained amount of time or the entire season, that's what's different. You get nicked up, you maybe miss a game here, not completely healthy, but you've got quarterbacks out for the season, and that's the difference. And then you want to add an eighteenth game, right, Trevor Lawrence hasn't missed a start in his career, but might be in jeopardy against the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 3: All right, what to watch tonight? What do we have? We got in season basketball?
Speaker 7: NBA got a little college basketball if you like nine pm Eastern on the Mothership, ninth rank UNC versus ukont Okay, Marvin working that one?
Speaker 3: Huh are you working?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, that's a nine o'clock start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. That's smart. Now, I'll be at the house, yeah, because I need you here tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: No, I'll be here, yeah ready, yeah, well you'll be here.
Speaker 6: I'll physically be here.
Speaker 3: You'll be here.
Speaker 8: The Rangers are skating in Ottawa.
Speaker 6: Something to think about.
Speaker 8: King's Columbus Blue Jackets and Red Wings at the Sabers three games on the Tuesday calendar.
Speaker 3: Early.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of more games than.
Speaker 3: That, But you're just saying that you're not watching any of those games.
Speaker 8: You know what if there's nothing else to watch, I mean you take a peek at Ranger Senators like a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Why why not? Because it's sports.
Speaker 6: It's live sports happening.
Speaker 5: Yes, at the Wolves Burnley, Lowtontown, Arsenal today it's throwing it out there after sash afternoon sash. You could fall asleep soccer and that's okay soccer, all right, Look, this is no knock. I do it plenty plenty, plenty of times. Soccer is much like golf, also baseball. It is great to fall asleep too. You wake up the game so you, oh, crap, I miss some goals? Rewind real quick. It's great.
Speaker 7: Ye, yes, I'll throw out Nick's surprisingly twelve and seven as they always are this time of year, and they're at the box in the NBA N Season Tournament. Okay, all right, lightly saw soon Maybe you don't watch that.
Speaker 2: Let me see Robert in Texas. Hi, Robert, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey DP, good morning, Thanks for having me on first time, longtime gentlemen, And of course Fritzy got a quick comment and an update on Craftensburg State. But the other day I was dropping around with my ten year old son, huge sports fan, and I had the show on and it was a revelation for him. He looked at me and said, Dad, what is this magic sorcery on the radio. I just looked at him and I said, son, it ain't kids bop. He tried calling in, wanted to give his best of the week, and he couldn't get through. But for Liam, best of the week are right owls making the bowl game back to back years and a quick update on Craftensburg State.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 12: Don't know if you guys have been down to Shartsville recently, but there is a little bit of rumblings that a vocal but small minority is upset with the duke's mascot. They think he may have some connotations for colonialism and imperialism. So there's a movement that possibly change the mascot down there, one of them to honor the local economy of Sharksville, the loggers, but also to honor Sir Thomas Crapper and the innovation he had with the toilet to change the name to the Ballcocks. That said, ted, thank you, Robert.
Speaker 2: Sounds like your son is a great dad to look up to. Calling in about Crappensburg State, Josh and Jacksonville.
Speaker 13: Hi, Josh, Hey Dan five eleven that to Gifts. I just wanted to keep your thoughts on the Jacksonsrever Lawrence. It doesn't seem like he's had much growth, says College and I'm just kind of worried about lug board. But to kind of get the team to be to say that next step, I guess.
Speaker 3: Well, we're waiting. We are.
Speaker 2: That's a good team. I'm waiting for them to be a great team. And you're playing in a conference that it has become competitive, but you should be running away with it. I mean Texans Demico Ryans probably the coach of the year. They have more wins this year I think than the last maybe three years combined pretty amazing what they've done and the fact that your quarterbacks play may have gotten a coach fired Frank Reich because his quarterback is not performing as well as you.
Speaker 3: Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Todd? What'd you learn today?
Speaker 8: JJ Reddick realized during his time playing for Clippers Nation at Staples they were the bastards steps shout, and not only the Lakers, but the La Kings hockey team as well.
Speaker 5: Seeton O'Connor, the second j in JJ Reddick is actually an echo. It's just his sisters, Yes, said JJ. One sister said it, the other one, JJ, John, JJ Marv Marv.
Speaker 6: Everybody except Paulie has Jane Daniels one in the heisman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie. What did you learn today?
Speaker 7: Of course, JJ Redick's middle name is Clay.
Speaker 3: What did I learn today?
Speaker 11: Tom?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 6: From JJ Redick?
Speaker 8: The joker is an absolute psychotic competitory here is believe. It's all part of the bit when he pretends that he can take or leave hoops.
Speaker 2: When it comes to celebrating major supporting events. Know whether city compares to Las Vegas. It's a city where spectacle and celebration are woven into the fabric of their community Las Vegas, where conventional was challenged and the unexpected embraced. This isn't just celebrating, it's celebrating with an edge. Thanks for joining us, our pleasure to serve you for Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paulie, yours truly talk to you tomorrow.