Speaker 1: Good morn football.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Free agency Friendzy, Welcome inside GMF ME. Kyle'spired up. We're live in LA in New York. It's Friday, March seventh. I'm jamieerd All. Here is Cody Kessler, DeMarco Farr, you're getting used to everybody, and Kyle Brandt wearing the Angry Runs James Cook shirt. Kyle, I gotta tell you a story. DeMarco Farr, who is on his fifth of five days with us this week. I was wearing my Angry Run sweatshirt yesterday. That just the generic one, just with the robot, no player, no nothing, And DeMarco owes, what is that? And like, you know, DeMarco now he's into that you guys have the same music taste. He has never really experienced the Angry Runs Aura and the fact that you're wearing the shirt here today and it's a James Cookewe Kyle, it's perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw it out there, let me see.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, and DeMarco, I'm happy to talk you through it. We can walk through you can do like a three D visualization. We got all kinds of stuff. Now I'm wearing this because I'm excited for the frenzy because I hope that this guy is part of some sort of major contract announcement, and because we have our old friend Dion Dawkins, the Snowman from the Buffalo Bills, joining us in the second hour for an hour. And if that wasn't enough, we have some exclusive, really big contract news coming up later in the show, not too much later, about an excellent, excellent young player. And I'm not making any of this up. This is not stick. It's showtime here on GMF.
Speaker 2: It's you said Dean Dawkins for the entire hour in an hour, Kyle, that was not a lie.
Speaker 5: No, that's the truth.
Speaker 6: Jesse Facts.
Speaker 7: Jamie Snowman in studio in La. It's really coming true.
Speaker 2: Mike Carafolo, good morning to you, our NFL network insider. What are you starting us with today on GMFBE We're.
Speaker 8: Going to talk about some quarterbacks, Jamie, Sam Darnold and your Minnesota vikings. When he was not tagged the other day, the thought was, well, there could still be an agreement between the sides to bring Donald back to Minnesota, but it would probably take some day before that could potentially happen. And up against the start of the League year when both sides started to feel the pressure of well, now he can talk to other teams. We're getting closer and closer to that. So look, at some point, Sam Darnald may have to decide, do I want a one year deal in Minnesota because we know what the situation is with them and JJ McCarthy and the fact that he is still in their plans, their long term plan to be their franchise quarterback, or does Darnald want to go look and see if he can get a multi year deal elsewhere. Again, we're getting closer to that point, but in the meantime, the Vikings and Darnald continue to have conversations about potentially bringing him back to be their starter next year at least compete with McCarthy elsewhere. Aaron Rodgers and the Giants have been in communication. Yes, Rogers is mulling the possibility of remaining in the New York market to be the Giants quarterback, and the Giants certainly have some other options that they are potentially going to explore as well. It's not like they're just locked in on Rogers, but nothing has happened to this point. Rogers technically still a jet but can have conversations because the Jets did announce that release, and there are other teams potentially that Rogers might be interested in that he is exploring as well. Doesn't seem like he's in any great rush. So we'll continue to monitor that one to see if perhaps the sides can come to an agreement to keep Rogers in the New York market. But for now, nothing done, Jamie, as both sides continue to explore all their up.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's just too easy, Mike Rofalo to start our show with the quarterbacks and the notable free agent ball throwers that are available two teams starting next week. There's your list, Mike, he just hit on a couple of them. Two of those guys on the same team right now. And what the Steelers do at quarterback, maybe it involves somebody else on the screen. Maybe it involves somebody already on the roster. We'll see does Jamis Winson get a starting spot back? All of these are questions that we have, Cody Kessler, I turned to you, our former Browns quarterback, our former college quarterback, third round draft pick. You know how this goes. What free agent quarterback intrigues you the most? On this list?
Speaker 7: Or maybe not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm going with Russell Wilson. I mean up and down year. Last season with the Pittsburgh Steelers started out six and one through the first seven games after taking over for Justin Fields, played well twelve passing touchdowns, three interceptions, and then the wheels started to fall off a little bit. They lose the last five games in a row, and that was a tough five game stretch. Right they play at home against Philadelphia, or they go on the road, actually against Philadelphia, then they play at Baltimore, They come home against Kansas City, they play a red hot Bengals team at home, and then they go on the road in the playoffs and they lose to Baltimore. Russell Wilson did not play good during those five games, but if you put the tape on, there's enough good things and enough flashes of how good he still can be. And in my opinion, I think he can go somewhere and be a starter or at least compete with someone to have that starting job. Now the question is where does he go? And the more I look at it, can look at the teams that you need a quarterback right now. And I know it might sound cliche, I like him going to Las Vegas, you know, and it's not because of him reuniting with Pete Carroll. That is a factor, but it's because of someone else on that coaching staff, and that's Chip Kelly. And let me explain, I love Chip Kelly. When you think about Chip Kelly, it's because or what you think about. Chip Kelly is a offensive genius.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: You think about that spread offense, so shiny Oregan helmets running up and down the field, throwing it fifty times a game, that spread offense, where all the pressures on the quarterback. That's not the case anymore. Last year at Ohio State, they were a run heavy offense. Right, they took pressure off of Will Howard. It was a true West Coast Pro style, balanced type of offense. They had two one thousand yard rushers. I love that for Russell Wilson, if you bring him over, it takes that pressure off of his shoulders. Now, the thing for the Raiders is they do have to go out and get the pieces around them to run chip Kelly's offense at a high level. But they have money to spend, and I would start the offensive line, go get some guys that can run, block, they can pass block, they can get Chip Kelly's offense going the right direction, and then you got to go look at the running back spot, and I think they go take a look at a guy like Naje Harris in free agency. Another guy that I think they look at is Aaron Jones, who is both of them are a thousand yard rushers a year ago. And then they got to go find a top wide receiver. In my opinion, and again going back to the cliche thing, I think it's DK Metcalf right, and it's just a big reunion in Las Vegas between Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson a DK metcalf Now DK may not want to go to Las Vegas. It might not be his first option, but he's not a free agent. He requested a trade, so if the Raiders really want him, they can go after him, give some stuff to the Seahawks, and if they like it, they can make that happen. Now, I'm not saying Russell Wilson will be the long term answer in Las Vegas. I understand that, but for the time being, they could go out and maybe draft someone with that six spot if they do love a quarterback or early in the draft, or they go find someone in the middle of the draft of developmental guy. But right now, if you go get Russell Wilson, I think he can get you back on track in twenty twenty five and then you allow your next franchise quarterback to develop a little bit and take over when it's his time.
Speaker 4: Listen, I think it's fascinating to see Russ go back and reunite with Pete Carroll. I'd love to get Pete Carroll in a moment of private honesty and ask him if he would want that. I think that the separation of the two of them was complicated, as so many things seem to be with Russ, but everything is on the board right now.
Speaker 5: I think the.
Speaker 4: Most interesting free agent quarterback right now is Russell Wilson's teammate last I think it's justin fields because that was a really really interesting thing that happened to him last year cruizing. He was winning, and then he was sitting on the bench for the rest of the season. And now the fascinating part is, depending on what you read and what you believe, the Steelers are looking to bring him back and that the ship is sailed with Russ, and that Justin Fields may be the guy. So if they want Justin Fields, my question is just Justin Fields want them? Because with this draft and this free agency market, Justin Field, somehow, who was on the bench for most of last season, has what appears to be something approaching leverage. And if I'm Justin Fields and the Steelers are like, yeah, you're.
Speaker 5: Going to be the guy, want we want to sign you to something, I just want to.
Speaker 4: Make it clear if I'm Justin Field, I am your guy for twenty twenty five ride or bleeping die, and I don't want to hear something where we agree to it and I'm your guy, and then what do I and I turned into the draft and you draft somebody in the second round. No, I am your guy. I want you to shape your offense around me. I want to run for a thousand yards this year for you. I did it for a crappy Bears team. I can definitely do it for you. And if Justin Fields feels like he's not there or you could have a sequel to them being like, yeah, take a seat, Justin even though you're winning games. I don't know if Steelers want guys. I got Tom Brady on the phone can I get back to you really quickly? Or maybe I'll go play for Brian Dable and I'll do my Josh Allen impression. Or maybe the Titans take Travis Hunter number one overall and I'll go play in the AFC South.
Speaker 5: I can keep going.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are teams that are looking for Justin Fields right now. I'll go back to Cleveland. I'll go back to ohioa I played college bad. I'll be the Browns quarterback. I think it's interesting that in the middle of the season last year the Steelers decided we don't want you right now, Justin. But here we go in another first run, playoff exit later that was not on Justin Field's hand. They say we want Justin. Does Justin want him? That's how strange this period of the season is. Right now, Justin Fields has something that feels like leverage, and if I'm him, I'm waiting and I'm answering every phone call. And then we'll see if I want to go to the Steelers again. And can I trust them to not abandon me in the middle of the season like they did last year.
Speaker 3: I like both.
Speaker 9: It's great we went from with Russell Wilson to let Russ cook. Remember that era, Let Russ cook too. Is Russ cooked now? And if he writes a great conclusion, We've all written papers, we've all went to school. If he writes a great conclusion to this, he could ace the paper. He really could, and I hope he does. I root for guys like like Russell Will.
Speaker 2: You got the intro, you got the three body paragraphs, you got the conclusion.
Speaker 7: You may want to tell your point.
Speaker 3: You could sell it again.
Speaker 5: In biography.
Speaker 9: Justin Field's same thing. If you get it right with him. He is just too athletic. He is too tantalyzing. If you get it right with him, I see a Cam Newton like run. Like just the biggest, strongest guy, the best athlete on the field, happens to be your quarterback, and you figure out an offense for him. So that's intriguing. Now my guy is a little bit different. It's Jamis Jamis Winston. I don't know how to take him anymore. Do I take him as a serious football player, a starting quarterback, or is he more of a personality. I love Jameis Winston the personality. I love Jameis Winston in totality. I thought he was the best quarterback Cleveland had. They were better with him. The problem is they just weren't very good. So finding a home for him, I don't know. It depends on if he wants to keep playing football or if he wants to gain followers.
Speaker 3: On social media.
Speaker 9: But when Jamis locks in, he's as good as anybody. I love good Jamis on the football field. The problem is it's bad Jamis. Your feet are tied up, You're falling backwards. It's a sack. You throw the ball straight in the air and it gets picked. I don't get it. Why do you do these sort of things? But if you can keep him engaged and focused in an offense in a place that he likes, I think Jamis Winston's can still get it done. It's just I don't know how to take him anymore. Is he the guy I see you running around having fun with people, or is he a guy that wants a job in the NFL?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So you're not saying that you're bothered by what Jamis goes around and does, whether it be like social stuff or in the Super Bowl, or just his general personality when he's really out there.
Speaker 7: Love him.
Speaker 2: It's just his play on the fields disconcerting at times, and it just doesn't track with like a sixty minute starting car.
Speaker 9: The mistakes on the field you can live with. That's the bad jam of stuff. It's just like you've seen this this business. When you are about to retire and you're moving into the next part of your career, you get started before you get there. So do I take you as a starter or as a guy that's.
Speaker 3: Getting ready to move on to the next level.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well in your vein of writing paragraphs and papers and Natasha bettingfields, the rest is still unwritten.
Speaker 7: I'm going Sam Donald for mine because I can't.
Speaker 2: Stop thinking about what is happening with this quarterback and not just wearing a Vikings uniform, whatever uniform he does. Where Sam Donald to me has a very specific opportunity that in the last twenty years of quarterbacks we have not seen accomplished before.
Speaker 7: And Kyle hits on this a lot.
Speaker 2: It's the third plus stop on a quarterback train, and can you keep this thing going?
Speaker 7: Sam Donald?
Speaker 2: I cannot stress you enough that somebody who was covering the NFL at the time and then out covering college football, how he was in the lowest of the lows when this guy was with the New York Jet, then to go to Carolina, then to go to San Francisco. The rebuild that this quarterback did for what people see him as with his play. If he can finish this thing, and frankly, I think it would be even more defining, career defining if he was able to play the way he did with Minnesota somewhere else, because then it's about him, It's not about the coaches.
Speaker 7: It's not about the players that he's with.
Speaker 2: If Sam Donald can go somewhere else and be the top five drafted quarterback that he was always meant to be and fulfilled at Destiny, to me, that redefined Sam Donald and it closes the loop on all the hate this guy ever got. If he does not, then it's constantly the question of was it just Josh McCown, Was it just Kevin O'Connell, justin Jefferson? What is this version of Sam Donald will getting just as much as Jamis Winston. That question is out there. I feel that way about Sam Donald, and I really want him to redefine himself in a way that he is meant to because there is becoming not a better guy in the NFL from a personality trade. People are really rooting for Sam Darnald Cody, what do you think about the Sam Donalds.
Speaker 7: You know him really well.
Speaker 2: He's been on a show that you work on, and just him trying to reroute what people thought about him when he was wearing aest jersey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I talked about him yesterday and if I didn't talk about himyesday, probably would have picked him again today. And that was very well said Jamie. I just that's the biggest question right now with Sam darnov Is he going to be able to have the same success when he doesn't have Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison And it's not Kevin O'Connell's system. And you're not there on a one year, ten million dollar deal, right and you have a quarterback waiting behind you. If it doesn't go well, you're going somewhere to be the savior, right. And I said yesterday he did that with New York and it didn't work out. But now he's better equipped, he knows how to handle he's more mature. And we had him on our show we do a podcast and he came over on the podcast, and he's just the most laid back, down to earth, you know, level headed, humble guy in the world that you want to root for him. And I think he's going to be successful no matter where he goes. But it's just how well the organization can invest in him and get the guys around him to help him.
Speaker 2: All Right, these are all questions we have going into Free Agency Frenzy. Kyle likes to predict things, and man, it's annoying when he's right. He said the Super Bowl is going to be a blowout, and he said free agency is going to.
Speaker 7: Be the most frenzy ever.
Speaker 2: It's ever been frenzied, and it's already fulfilling its stephany Kyle brand h Are these guys gonna stay with their current teams?
Speaker 7: Are they gonna find new homes? In twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: Free Agency Frenzy eight Hours of Live cover starts Monday, March ten, ten am Eastern on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus.
Speaker 7: But still to come on our show.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati's Trey Hendrickson, Man, you put that out on social media, Everyone's got a Trey Henderson take. In a campaign he led the NFL in sacks this season. Now he's available to the highest bidder. Mike g We're gonna have to run it back with our insider to have more on this story as it develops.
Speaker 7: Kyle, I hate when you're right.
Speaker 4: Well, Listen, We've seen some years where the biggest stars of free agency are the crickets chirping. We're sitting around being like, let's go insiders, give us something. They don't give a squat. This will not be one of those years. It is not Wednesday. However, We're gonna do a whiteboard Friday. Who are the top free agents right now? The top guys independent of position, not quarterback, not wide receiver. Pick the top five best player in all the free agent market and rank them.
Speaker 5: That's what we do. It's Good Morning Football on a Friday. Let's cook.
Speaker 1: Good morn football.
Speaker 2: Get your whiteboard's ready, everybody, Kyle, it's your favorite segment. When a couple people have never done the show before, we ask them to rank things, and we hope they understand the assignment. And I've done the show for two and a half years and sometimes I don't even understand the assignment. Free agent market is plentiful. There are names available, they need to be paid, and they might be going to new homes. Here's the question, you're gonna rank top five? There are some lists, There are some names of players that are available in free agency this season. Those are not just quarterbacks, because we started this conversation in this show with quarterbacks. But now we're looking at the whole list, the entire Canatuna, Kyle, rank your top five free agents right now? Five four, three two one. These gentlemen have been working feverishly in there to have theirs ready. My board is still blank, Kyle, which I know you are loved. So, Kyle, you start us off and show us how it's done.
Speaker 4: So feversly is a good way to describe the offseason. And it's about to get cooking. So I have my list right here. I've completed the entire thing. This is independent of position. It's not the quarterbacks, it's not the most famous players. It's just pound from pound, the top five best players available in free agent, and we are not including anyone that's been tagged. You will not see T Higgins, et cetera, et cetera. But let's get started. I usually use a blank piece of paper to obscure my four through one.
Speaker 5: I'm going to use that Today's New York posts.
Speaker 4: So thank you to Saint John's and Rick Patino for being part of this.
Speaker 5: It's a little flavor New York for me.
Speaker 4: Number five, guys, I have Sam Donald at five. Sam Donald. We just talked about him last second. We talk about him all the time. Fantastic season. I really do think that there was irreparable damage done in the eyes of fans, in particular at the end of that season. It is really it was really tough to watch over the final eight days. This player looked nothing like he looked in the prior four months. However, he did put up an excellent season. That's why I have my at number fi and I think he'll be starting somewhere next year. Number four, here's another very familiar name. Thank you, Rick DeVante Adams Older. Yes, a little bit dramatic now with all the headlines. Yes, still absolutely fantastic. He's got a weird thing in his career where he's only played for Rogers and then hand picked college buddy Derek Carr, then he wanted out and then Rogers again. Does he have to play for Rogers? Would he go to the Saints and play for Derek Carr. I don't know, but it seems pretty particular. Also, we're at appointments Devonte Adams where he might be your number two. If you have a stud at one, that's pretty cool. Number three Josh Sweat last scene having two and a half sacks in the Super Bowl from the Philadelphia Eagles. I know we showed Milton Williams names and he's a huge free agent as well. I am particular specific like Josh Swet's game more. This is a guy who is in his prime and twenty seven years old, and I think you bring him in to finally breakout of the team effort and be a star pass rusher for you.
Speaker 5: Number two. I love Nick Bolton from the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 4: It's strange to even have his name on here because I feel like he's such a fixture for the Andy Reid Chiefs. Voting is twenty five years old. You would bring him in, take him away from the AFC champs, and he is your stud linebacker for the next three to four years, And that just leads one. You know me, I don't go for the headlines. I go for the old lines. Ronnie Stanley is the number one for me. This is a one time, first time first team All Pro. This is a guy who has been to the Pro Bowl this year. This is a left tackle in a league that is starving for them. He has Lamar's blindside. He is ready to have your quarterbacks blind side. He has intelligence, he has experienced, he is huge. I'm surprised that he is even available out there for the right bidder. Quarterback, wide receiver, pass rusher, linebacker, and offensive tackle. Guys, have at it and give me your list, because we love to compare and contrast. There's a night clean, nice pleasing screen grab for the social media. Go ahead and just take it and see.
Speaker 7: Very good, very good. Go on, Cody, All.
Speaker 6: Right, here we go.
Speaker 5: I'm nervous.
Speaker 6: I'm nervous that I'm going to reveal before I reveal. So working the year is my first time. So I'm going number five. I'm going with Chris Godwin. I like Chris Godwin. He's coming off from an injury, so I know that he's not quite one hundred percent, but we don't really know where he's at. But I do love him. I think he can be a true wide receiver one if given an opportunity, He's been paired up with Mike Evans for a long time, So I like Chris Godwin at number five. Number four, I'm going Ronnie Stanley offensive tackle. I'm sticking with the offensive side of the ball, coming off of his best season. Was a Pro Bowler a year ago. As a quarterback, you love a great left tackle protecting your blind side. That is Ronnie Stanley to me. Now at number three, Josh Sweat, I'm going defense. I think he is a phenomenal pass rusher, very good all season long, did a great job in the Super Bowl two and a half sacks and he had seven pressures on the quarterback. Was a big part of their Super Bowl run. Another guy I'm sticking with the Eagles is Milton Williams, who I think is the best defensive player in free agency right now. He is a absolute beast in the middle of the defensive line, does a great job of stopping the run, but he can also get after the quarterback and that's very rare for a defensive tackle. So I think he is going to be a great player in free agency. And then the last guy I have at number one, and maybe I'm biased because I'm a quarterback. I got Sam Darnold right at number one. I respectfully to agree with Kyle. I think the last two games we saw San Donald is a reason for concern. But I think he's going to play the way he did for the majority of the season with every team he goes to, and I think he's gonna have a great year and he's gonna be, in my opinion, you know, very highly paid after this free agency run, and I think he's the number one guy.
Speaker 2: All right, I watch your list. Grab the screen. There's Cody's list. I like the ownership of a buddy.
Speaker 6: Good job.
Speaker 9: I'm with you, Cody. I am so nervous about this list right now. We've talked about a lot of these guys. So I'll start with My number five guy is Josh schwat same thing they said, it's instant pass rush right off the bus. He's a thread off the edge. Depending on who you have at offensive tackle, he could be one of those what I call ambient players, like you're gonna need something to go to sleep because you're gonna worry about trying to keep him off your quarterback.
Speaker 3: Easier said than done.
Speaker 9: My number four guy, for the same reasons you guys mentioned, is Ronnie Stanley, super intelligent, had some injury history, but hell when he's well, and he's the guy that will protect your quarterback through thick and thin, and he's a.
Speaker 3: Really good run blocker.
Speaker 9: So definitely, and just to qualify, these are guys that I think can impact the team immediately and you'll see why as I go on. My third is actually he's a one name guy. I just put Davante because he's out there and I know there's a lot of bad about him, and he's been on TV a lot, there's a lot of opinions about him. But anywhere he goes, that receiving corps is going to get instantly better. So keep your eye out for Davonte Adams as well. Sam Darnald is my number two guy. We talked about this Cody before the show. He's a quarterback. You got to respect the game. Quarterbacks are important. He is going to be the I guess, the top guy in free agency. So Sam Darnald is my number two guy. Now this is kind of a me pick because I love defense outside of pass rush. If you can lock up some of these top flight receivers, then you have a shot.
Speaker 3: So I liked DJ Reid in New York.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 9: He is a lockdown dude. He is all over the place. I know he's five to nine. I just have a affinity for guys they call undersized guys. He plays bigger than what he is. When you sign him, your defense is instantly better that day. So DJ Reed is my number one guy in free agency?
Speaker 7: Like it excellent? How does everybody feel good about their lists? Feel great about it? They're getting put out in the universe. We're back on GMFB.
Speaker 2: The Miles Garrett's situation continues with the Cleveland Browns as we welcome back our NFL Network insider Mike Garofolo. It was not long ago, Miles Garrett, Mike g was requesting a trade out of Cleveland. The management and coaches are saying, no, you're staying here. You're Miles Garrett. And now we have a development today. What's going on.
Speaker 8: Let's bring up Tom Pellisaro's post on X here and run through the news here and provide the context for what is happening Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: We know he wants to trade. He's made that clear.
Speaker 8: Not about money, It's about playing for a competitive team. Does not feel right now? The Browns are in that situation. The Browns have made it clear publicly privately, we are not trading this guy. He is not going anywhere. Andrew Berry telling me at the combine, a future in which Miles Garrett is not playing for the Browns, that's not a future that we want to be in.
Speaker 5: So here's what happened.
Speaker 8: Garrett reached out to Jimmy has requested a meeting with the owner, according to Tom Pallisero's sources, and Haslam said no. Now, my understanding is the reason that Haslam said no here is we know what the issues are. We know about the communication between your agent and Andrew Berry, our general manager, and our organization, the communication both sides. You need to go to Andrew Berry on this, and he has Haslam does full trust in Berry to handle this situation and basically redirected Garrett and his agent to Barry in this situation, saying, you're not going to go around the general manager and come to me to get this thing done. So this one is going to be a standoff that's going to be take a while.
Speaker 5: We've been saying that from the beginning.
Speaker 8: This is something that could last through the spring into the summer, perhaps.
Speaker 5: Into the regular season. We'll see where it goes.
Speaker 8: But the Browns have made it clear they're not interested in trading Miles Garrett. They're not interested in having conversations about trading Miles Garrett with other teams, and Jimmy Haslm's not interested in having a conversation with Garrett about the situation that doesn't include the general manager Andrew Berry. That's where we stand and used to unfold Jamie.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A couple key phrases in that post from Tom Pelisaro both sides dug in Kyle I.
Speaker 7: The one that.
Speaker 2: Piqued my interest was Garrett is preparing to miss games. What do you make of this now?
Speaker 4: With Tom Pelsero, Yeah, it feels like he wants to go to the CEO of the company, and the CEO says, speak with your district manager.
Speaker 5: It's like speak to your VP, or.
Speaker 4: Depending maybe the Browns brass says, it feels like Miles is going around mom and asking Dad's It's either way, depending on where you look at it. It's not a great headline because if you are the face of the company, as Miles Garrett is, and you want to speak to the man who runs the company at this crossroads, you'd like to see that that happens, especially since maybe that conversation begins if you're Miles Garrett by saying, mister Haslam, I have loved being a Brown. I have given you eight fantastic years, during which time you have given me six teams starting quarterbacks that have started for the team that I'm carrying.
Speaker 5: You guys pursue quarterbacks more than I.
Speaker 4: Do, so maybe you can understand why after eight years I might want to go somewhere else. And the part about you know he's gonna miss games and all that he's dug in, he's got conviction. Do the Browns really want to go through that after what they went through last year? If they've gone through with Watson, do you want to start training camp where the face of your company is holding out? Or do you want to start training camp?
Speaker 5: Maybe? And look at all.
Speaker 4: These fresh new players that we brought an a through free agency, but also with draft picks or future draft picks that we're gonna get next year.
Speaker 5: It's fresh, it's new. It's a little bit like.
Speaker 4: What the Commanders had going on, save the ownership change.
Speaker 3: It's a fresh start.
Speaker 4: I still think why would the Browns not even consider trading him?
Speaker 5: Eight years in starting season nine.
Speaker 4: The fact is Miles Garrett is probably on the back side of his prime. How many top end I'm the best defensive player in the league's seasons he have left two one. It's not like this is a guy in his fourth year. It's been a great run. It hasn't worked. Why not get a king's bounty instead of just holding on out of stubborn and saying no, no, no, Now the owner won't even talk to him.
Speaker 5: It's not a great headline in a series of them.
Speaker 6: Kyle, I thought we were friends, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could hear the whole room shifted photo said that the Browns pursue more quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: I shut up there and poured my heart out in front of you about a very vulnerable time in my first start, and then you just lucked me in with sixteen starting quarterbacks, not even to mention, not by you were playing for.
Speaker 4: A head coach that was kept on board after going one in thirty one. Let's all let everybody of the audience know that one of the most absurd things in this twenty first century of football. But that's a whole different Browns conversation. We're trying to focus on the now and ignore the past. But Cody, I want your thoughts.
Speaker 6: I like it, I like it. Yeah, I'm with you. I just it's surprising to me the way that that happened. You would think that Jimmy has Them would at least be like, all right, let's sit down and talk. I want to keep my superstar happy. Or let's have a conversation with Andrew Barry. Bring him in here and we can all sit down and talk. Bring everybody in the front office and whatever you need, head coach, GM, everybody into this office. But the fact that he just doesn't even want to sit down and talk to him is very surprising. Now, I haven't been there since twenty seventeen, but I do remember Jimmy has Them was very involved at practice. He was always walking around, always talking to the guys. You have the face of your franchise, one of the best players on defense that wants to talk to you. And like I said, I remember Jimmy has Them being very involved. It just surprises me that he's not willing to do that. And I'm with Kyle if he's telling you right now, Miles Garrett is saying, I'm not going to play. If you don't trade me, then trade him. Then go start that rebuild, get a jump start, get whatever you can for him, and then look ahead to twenty twenty five, focus on the draft, do all the right things there. But just sitting here and not talking to each other and going back and forth and playing telephone and trying to figure out what's going on is getting neither Miles Garrett or the Cleveland Browns anywhere.
Speaker 9: First of all, Kyle, that was the line of the decade. That was so funny. Oh my god, you pursue more quarterbacks than I do. I mean I could see him saying that, and that is hilarious. I was looking up these numbers. One hundred and fourteen starts, one hundred and two and a half sacks, one hundred and sixteen tackles for loss. He is clearly getting it done. Miles Garrett is the best in the business. Walked into that suite at the Laker game and, like I said, his shoulders barely fit through the door with a thirty two inch waist. I'm like, god, I get it, I see it, I understand it. Talking to him just about ball and I said man, I love watching you play. It's just a shame that you don't really get a shot to win. And he just looked at me and kind of smiled. So going back to Cleveland and I'm when this was the Luca's first game versus the Mavericks.
Speaker 7: Oh so recently, just smiled at you.
Speaker 3: I could not believe it.
Speaker 9: I tried to get him to eat some carrot cake.
Speaker 3: He just wouldn't do it.
Speaker 7: Like, just wouldn't hard to get star players.
Speaker 9: Special player you could tell, I mean just everything, asking him about football, high football, IQ. I mean, the guy wants to win. It's a shame that talent like this and you saw it with Joe Thomas. Special guys get buried on teams that are going nowhere. And I think this is very indicative of the Browns. Don't know them very well. But why wouldn't you go and listen to your best player. He's trying to tell you, I don't want this to be a mess. I'm not coming back. I don't want to be here anymore. Make the trade. This is only going to get worse from here. So I don't know why you would dig in on that and think about what you could You could get in return for Miles Garrett. Oh my god, I give you everything you wanted for this guy right now. I don't care who you have. He's better. So the fact that we're here talking about Miles Garrett wanting to be traded out of.
Speaker 3: Cleveland, it's not a hymn thing. This is a you thing.
Speaker 9: So don't compound it by making the guy go talk to the district manager or go talk go around mom to talk to dad. That makes no sense. He's done everything he possibly could to help that team win. Now he wants to move on. I think you should give him.
Speaker 3: What he wants.
Speaker 2: He's a cornerstone player in Cleveland. It was very well said by everybody, Mike or follow He's missed two games in the last four seasons.
Speaker 7: Where do you see this thing going? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: Where I see it going.
Speaker 6: I see a long standoff is.
Speaker 8: Where somebody's going to come off of their stands, right, Either the Browns are going to trade him eventually, or Miles Garrett's going to come back.
Speaker 3: And play for the Browns.
Speaker 8: The only other option is that Miles Garrett ever plays football again, and nobody's ever saying that.
Speaker 3: So these are the the other two options there.
Speaker 8: I just know that Jimmy Haslam and Cody alluded to this, has had a reputation that he meddles a little bit too much owner for an owner. That has been something that has been a criticism of him. This is the opposite of that, obviously, as he is saying, go to Andrew Berry. He has the faith and Andrew Berry also has the faith in Kevin Stefanski. You think about this, to think that he's going to come back now to a locker room after where it already is now and certainly where it is going to have that head coach, have him buy back in as well as have that locker room buy back in. That certainly shows the faith in him. And I would say this for Miles Garrett, he is looking for a team that's going to be more competitive here. We know Deshaun Watson is recovering from that second Achille surgery, not looking like he's going to be ready at least for the start of the season. When I talked to some of the agents for the quarterback free agents coming up here and those that might be available via trade, this is one of the.
Speaker 5: More attractive situations for them.
Speaker 8: We talk about whether it's the Steelers, the Browns, the Raiders, the Jets, the Giants, all these things, and people go, you know, there's a lot to work with in Cleveland, And despite the fact that they only won three games, this is a roster that can be competitive, certainly when you add potentially another player at with the number two overall pick as well, if it's not a quarterback. So I don't know if that does anything for Miles Garrett. Certainly has not had him come off of his trade request. But I know a lot of folks around the league looking at this like this is still a competitive team in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: I just think at Miles Garrett, the way he's operating this. He's not doing the mike. He unfollows the team on social He's tweeting them no, no, no. He posted a full letter saying eloquently exactly how he felt and what he wanted. He is going to leadership to have a conversation. This is how you want to deal with these things. You got to at least give him ten minutes on zoom. Just give me a quick meeting. I understand you don't want to handicap the GM, but talk to the guy and hear.
Speaker 5: What he has to say.
Speaker 4: And my question for you, Mike, are you picking up the sense at all of a third option.
Speaker 5: It's not the Miles Garrett wants to go or they don't want to trade him.
Speaker 4: Is there any sense at all that all the Browns leadership is in lockstep to put up this sort of sense that no, no, no, we're never trading him unless you give us a crazy deal. We're going to put it up that we don't want to trade him. Is that in any way you think maybe for appearances.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 8: I think this is truly what they believe is going to be something that eventually Miles Garrett is going to cave and say, well, I want to play football. I'm going to go back to the Browns, and that they can have conversations not with Jimmy Haslam, but with Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski to get him back into an understanding of this is the right place for him. We're already seeing it. It's not a financial thing, but they understand that if he's coming back, there is going to be a financial aspect to this. We see Max Crosby now up at thirty five million dollars per year with Micah Parsons and TJ. Watt and all these guys coming up, it's going to be up to forty million dollars per year. They are prepared to have those conversations. I know that, But Miles Garrett has made it clear that it's not a money thing to this point. It's all about being a competitive team. I asked Andrew Berry about how do you convince him of that? And he goes, you don't convince him. You just go about your business. You build a competitive team. And they feel like they do have a competitive team again, despite what that record said last year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like Mike was saying, like it would be a lot easier if he said that, right. I want a new contract. I want to be paid. I want to be the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL. That's not what happened. That's not what's happening. But the thing that I think is the most confusing. The last thing I'll say about this is that it's not you know, Jimmy has them reaching out to Miles Garrett, Miles Garrett saying no thanks, I'm good. It's the other way around. And that's what makes this headline so interesting. If Jimmy has them and Andrew Barry were like, hey, Miles Garrett, come in, let's talk. I want to figure this out. He said, I'm not good right now unless you're going to talk trade. I'm not coming to the facilities to talk. It's the other way around. Miles Garrett reached out to the owner personally and said, I want to speak to you. Just hear me out for a little bit, and he said, no, thanks, go to someone else. That's just that's the part that is bizarre.
Speaker 3: To at ball.
Speaker 9: You guys saw how Ad ended his career Aaron Donald when he pointed, I need this, So I put him in the same category as Aaron Donald. They're special, they're great players. They want to go out with a win. And it's just look, he's there, he's in the building. He can tell like this might be might not be going anywhere. I don't know how much longer I have left in this league, so I want to go someplace where I can go out and win. So I get that. And I told you guys early in the week there is nothing worse on a football team than a pass rusher that's not motivated, that's going out there just to play out the string. I'm just trying not to get hurt. You can't win that way. I don't want to see Miles Garrett do that in a Cleveland Browns uniform are anywhere. I like to see him playing the way he plays and playing motivated. So if he doesn't want to be there, he doesn't want to be there.
Speaker 3: Just makes sense.
Speaker 2: Kyle, I got a question for you, as somebody who watches games fit you're fan of All thirty two, do you feel like you are buying into what Mike Garafalo is selling, which is are telling us, which is this is a very attractive team. This could be a good free agent landing spot. They are not far away with the number two pick in becoming a competitive organization moving forward. That is what the Browns want people to believe your eyeball test of watching football.
Speaker 7: Are the Browns that close?
Speaker 2: Is this a scenario that Miles Garrett could all of a sudden be like, well, wait, did you really draft ab.
Speaker 7: Dul Karter at number two?
Speaker 2: I do want to go back there and play with these guys.
Speaker 7: Are they close?
Speaker 4: I think it's easy to scoff at the Browns because of how much trouble that they've had on the field for years and they're a punch line. Fine, they were in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Okay, this is not some nothing team. Last year everything fell apart in the Deshaun Watson then continue to explode.
Speaker 5: I think that's over.
Speaker 4: I don't think Deshaun Watson is ever going to start a game for the Browns again. So yeah, I do actually think this is a very talented team that is a couple of players away. But the worst case scenario, worst case is you're sitting there all the way through training camp and Miles Garrett, who is a different kind of guy, who I think is a little bit eccentric but is also extremely intelligent, I think is just fully convicted.
Speaker 3: This is not a.
Speaker 4: Flimsy deal where he's like, I don't know if I want to play unfollow the team on social he is in. I do not think Miles Garrett is going to be like, you know what, You're right, I'll come back. He feels passionate by all indications that he's not playing for the Browns anymore.
Speaker 5: That is a terrible, terrible situation to be in.
Speaker 4: And again it's possible Miles Garrett has played his very best football already. Why not when his stock is this high, get the treasure chest.
Speaker 5: And go to work. We'll see. I don't think this one's going away.
Speaker 2: What's gonna be great here on GMP is all of next hour we have Dean Dawkins with us, who knows a thing or two maybe about going up against Miles Garrett.
Speaker 7: Guys like Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: We're going to get his take on this scenario and also working with teams and owners and management and what a scenario like.
Speaker 7: This feels like. So we got Dean Dawkins coming on from.
Speaker 2: The Bills all of next hour. This is an ongoing situation with Miles Garrett. It's our favorite kind on the show because we get to keep talking about it.
Speaker 7: There it is Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: The Brown's just holding out for a king's ransom or are they convinced that he will be back with the Browns next year?
Speaker 1: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 2: I saw celebrity walk in the halls at NFL Network yesterday and it was Daniel Jeremiah. We hugged each other, we said you're great to see you, and then he dropped like seventeen nuggets on me about the NFL, about the draft, of Regency.
Speaker 7: I was like, DJ, how do you know all this stuff? It blew my mind?
Speaker 2: And then he was going off and posting his top fifty prospects three point zero guys. DJ is hooked up. He knows everyone and everything. So look at this list and take it honestly. Top fifty prospects, DeMarco, what do you think.
Speaker 7: About that list?
Speaker 9: I love Daniel Jeremiah, I love Abdul Carter. Are we sure that's not von Miller or microh Parson's moonlighting? Because that's what he looks like. He plays like his mom needs a new house. I love that type of guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, Kyle, See I like that line. He plays like his mom needs a new house. That's the kind of thing I want in a player hungry. I've been looking at Ashton gen Z all the way up there, and I've been following DJ two, and he was on with Rich and DJ was spinning this sort of tail where Ashton jen Z, the prolific Boys of State running back, kind of goes through the Ben Johnson mold and becomes the equivalent of the Jamiir Gibbs pick.
Speaker 5: Remember the offense changed for Detroit when they took.
Speaker 4: Jamiir Gibbs way up high, and everybody laughed and pointed because you're not supposed to draft running backs that high. It changed the entire offense in Detroit's I said it yesterday. They're going to be about steak before sugar in the Bears offense, they are going to run the ball. If they went all this high on the stud running back, it is history repeating itself. He is not the same player that asked that. Jamier Gibbs is a little different. But I still think Ben Johnson might say, now we are set on the running game, what else do we have to do?
Speaker 5: I watch it, watch it closely.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love this.
Speaker 6: This is great by DJ. One and two for me are interchangeable. I think you can put at dual Carter at one, his hundred at two, and you can make that argument. Then you can put Travis hundret one and a dual Carter at two, and I'd listen as well. Right, And it's just going to depend on what team's like. As that number one overall pick where I would make a change, and maybe because I'm an offensive guy, I would put Tyler Warren ahead of Mason Graham at that four spot. Mainly because I sat back and watched Tyler Warren come to the call, see him and go for seventeen catches two hundred and twenty four yards in a touchdown. The man lined up at tight end, at wide receiver, lined up at quarterback, he threw a pass, then he lined up at running back and had a couple carries. And then you lined up at center, snap the ball and Drew Aller ran in the middle of the field and caught a touchdown pass. He is a Swiss Army knife. He is a very good football player. So for me, like I said, Tyler Warren, I think can be a little bit higher. Yet whoever gets Tyler Warren is getting a really good player.
Speaker 7: All right, It's not a mock draft.
Speaker 2: DJ's not saying that this team is traded for this pick and the way he blew up the NFL universe and he predicted the textans taken two and three a couple of years ago. This is just top fifty prospects. Go check out Daniel Jeremiah's list and everything else on NFL dot com.
Speaker 7: When it comes to the draft.
Speaker 2: Which I think is forty eight or forty nine days away by now, look at that list, unpack it, pick your team and pick one of those guys, and you have a player changing, organizational guy that's coming into your city.
Speaker 7: Top ten DJ will be back on GMFB.
Speaker 2: All right, So sometimes you have a plan and then we say the hell with the plan. Kyle, we have a Miles Garrett tweet that we have to talk about on GMFB. That was a really fun hour or Kyle, do you have any percolating thoughts that you just want to get out about Myles Garrett before we close out our hour on GMFB.
Speaker 5: We've talked about Miles Garrett a lot.
Speaker 4: What's percolating for me right now is we're going to talk about something that is an exclusive contract news about a very very young, talented player in the AFC that indicates a lot of where this team is going in the future. We're going to do it right here. We're going to do it in the very next segment. Stay in your seats, my friends.
Speaker 5: That's what I got.
Speaker 2: That's a television teas right there for Witness one live in an action like that.
Speaker 6: I don't want to give it away, but I feel like it might have something to do with this T shirt. I don't know. I guess we'll see We'll.
Speaker 7: Be right back. GMSB.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday, everybody,