Speaker 1: How many times estimate? Do you think you peed in my yard?
Speaker 2: It was nine months, God, it was a lot.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. A potocarpus can only take so much of your urine.
Speaker 2: Then that would be the plant right behind the gate that looked like it was dying.
Speaker 3: Yes, Pasha Tosh, this is toss show woo.
Speaker 1: That was a new sign on. Man, I'm in a good mood today. Why in such a good mood? O? J. Simpson dead? Oh say what you want about O. J. Simpson. But he was a murderer. He miss he was. I actually worry that those two murders will negatively affect his legacy. These are tribute jokes for Norm MacDonald. Rip Norm. I wonder if anyone is with OJ Dine have they said, oh this one hurts. That always bugs me when I read some oh this one hurt or when they go up twenty twenty four, come on, like, ease up, well, Eddie, I hope you're excited because today I'm debuting a new segment. I'm excited. I came up with this the other day when I was watching some basketball, and I'm like, this is gonna be a great new segment. I'm calling it front row face off. This is the Lakers versus the Pacers edition. All right, Okay, here's how the game's played. You show me a photo of the front row at a Lakers game or a Pacers game, and I have to guess which one it is. All right, Eddie, give me the first one here you Okay, this seems like a dead giveaway because it's just all middle aged white men. One guy's wearing an Indie shirt and I can see the floor, so I know this is Indianapolis, right, Yes it is. But look at these people. I mean, these are the people that love to make fun of California. By the way, I have shows coming up in Indianapolis and I can't wait to mock them in person. But as I look out at that rich selection of diversity, and you have to understand, this is the front row. So these are the richest people in Indianapolis, and they know they're gonna be on TV, so they're wearing their best clothes, just oozing with style. All right, Well, that one was pretty easy. All right, let me see the next one. Okay, I'm gonna guess Los Angeles Lakers. You got Megan thee Stallion showing her showing her sweet cleave. Oh man, Yeah, a bunch of Lakers. I don't know who are friend is good? God? Is she a smoke show too? And this is the city his ship on. You look at our front row and you're like, oh, la sucks. Okay, yeah, no, it's it sucks so bad. Show me, show me, no, see if I can see, if I can go three for three? Okay, look at this, I'm gonna guess Los Angeles again. Why do you say that? I mean there's just a lot of style dressing to the nines looking great. You got any anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's another one.
Speaker 1: Indianapolis, Am I right? Oh, a bunch of honkeys. Look at all those Honkys. Just rows and rows of Honkys. You see all those honkeys honkeys and Khakis honkeys and those two go hand in hand. That's a good I love Indianapolis. Way to go, guys, all right? And that's our new game like it front row face off. That was the Lakers Pacers edition. Speaking of trailer trash, I own a trailer. Yeah, not so Hollywood elitist, now, am I? I love my in laws so much that I had a mobile home parked in front of my house so they could feel more like the Florida trash they are. It's nineteen eighty seven Axcella airstream had it completely renovated. Enjoy Casha today's guest. Help me turn my front yard into a trailer park. Please welcome the airstream contractor to the Star. I'm the Star, Scott Scott. Lovely to have you. Thank you, sir. What do you want to start with your fascinating and riveting life story or working on my actual airstream.
Speaker 2: Let's start the airstream.
Speaker 1: So I bought an airstream because that's what fucking people in Malibu do. Nineteen eighty seven thirty three foot Excelia. I paid twenty twenty three thousand dollars for it. It was destroyed. It's dented on the outside, the inside was pretty much gutted by the way I was allowed. I had agreed with my wife. We agreed on a nineteen foot, but they didn't have a nineteen foot. They had a thirty three foot and the guys I got to buy it. Now, man, these things are going quick, and I'm like, oh, okay, So I bought it. So I brought it back. Then I had to get it wedged in and that took about seven hours with fifteen people trying to wedge it into its little parking spot. My wife also said, you cannot get stressed out about this, so I was like, fine, it's just a fun little project. We're going to renovate an airstream, and by renovate, I'm going to hire someone to do all the work. Then lo and behold. My neighbor are couple houses down, but we're we're not gonna say who, but I live in a celebrity enclave. This person's Academy Award winning. They had bought an old airstream around the same time, and you had finished up on it. And I was like, oh, well, if it's good enough for an Academy Award winner, send this guy my way. I don't need to do any research. You had never really done this before. Correct? Correct? How did you get into building multiple airstreams on my street?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, it's a long story.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: As you know a little bit from the background. I'd worked in the movie industry for a while as a prop maker.
Speaker 1: I know a lot about you because one thing I'm going to tell people right now, you can talk. This is true all right, let's get into it, right, So you are a prop maker on movies. Yeah, I got into the film business later in life. I guess you'd say it was in my boy. I got into the prop making when I was forty. How old are you?
Speaker 2: I'm fifty four, You're fifty four.
Speaker 1: You still look good? You look I mean well, I mean you still look good. You look good.
Speaker 2: When I finally got into working in props, I'd already had a stint in just about every trade for a little while. Okay, when you work in props, there's no rules on how to do anything, so I had free reign to kind of pull from all the experience of all the different trades and maybe really good at being a prop maker. It gave me a lot of advantages with props.
Speaker 1: Though in television, it doesn't matter if it lasts long, It doesn't matter if it functions well. In my experience, it just matters if it looks good and does what they needed to do for that split moment that it's on film, which is terrifying when it comes to needing someone to build you a home that someone's going to live in and drive down the road. Right, all right, go on?
Speaker 2: When I got to working on your airstream in particular, because I'd worked in construction and whatnot, I had some experience about what it would take to create something some longevity, okay, right, And I kind of put the pressure on myself to be moving fast like you would for a film shoot.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: But I was able to settle in and say, well, I got to build this as if I'm going to live in it, you know. That's the only way I could figure it out. So I kind of end up taking a little more time than I would have liked, But everything I did was based on the idea you're probably gonna want to enjoy it for a good ten twenty years.
Speaker 1: My wife was pregnant right when you were coming aboard to start the job, and we talked briefly and I said, Scott, how long is this going to take? I need this finished by her the birth of my daughter. And you said you said no problem, did you not? You said no problem? I believe I said that, yes, right right, you said two months. I can do this in two months. I believed I could get it done in two months, right now. It took eleven about it took It might have been more like nine nine months. Fine, the same amount of time it took my wife to grow a human in her belly? Is how long? Here's the thing. I don't care two months or nine months. I mean, I just finished going through construction. Hell I had, I had the Wolseley fire that burnt my house. I had four years of permits to build my house than another four years like so, I've seen real delays, So this it didn't really bother me. But I felt like it you you felt a little bit of pressure. I did feel a lot of pressure. I was was it was I putting it on you?
Speaker 2: No, it was more like I made the commitment and that at some point I realized, Wow, this is a lot more effort than I was expecting, all.
Speaker 1: Right, because you had never done it before, not on that size. Now, I didn't have any real plans. Were you at any point going like, ah, this guy's no idea what he's talking about? Or were you like fine with how vague I was.
Speaker 2: I've done a couple of other builds, making small homes. I converted a van for somebody once, and I did other similar work. I just kind of knew I'm going to get this thing cleared I'll get a couple of walls in where he wants it, and once he starts to see it look like a house, that's when the wish list will come out. I would like this detail here. Usually comes in the form of hey, I was just thinking, could you and then you throw out something that probably wasn't discussed at any given point.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like I had stayed pretty true to what I wanted the whole way through. You're pretty good? Yeah, okay, do you remember what your quote was for me of how much it was gonna cost? I don't remember. Fifty four thousand, okay, because what you gave me as a quote will be come in fifty two to fifty three, seventy, seventy seventy. But again, guess what I think that was? Perfect? Okay, good, I don't have any I don't have any problem with that. If you give me a quote of fifty four and we it's seventy is the actual that? To me is an honest person, you can tell your builder look at that. You got yourself a up. No, I just meant just the one dead nail that you smashed. Yeah, are you licensed and bonded?
Speaker 2: I am no, not at all.
Speaker 1: Uh. I don't even know what license in bonded means. I just know I've read that my entire life on the side of people's trucks. Does that mean that? Uh? That that that if you fall and get hurt in my yard, that you can't sue me. No, not at all. I could.
Speaker 2: I could totally suit you.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that would have been horrible.
Speaker 2: That's my that's my future healthcare plan.
Speaker 1: How many times estimate do you think you peed in my yard?
Speaker 2: It was nine months, God, it was a lot.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. A potocarpus can only take so much of your urine.
Speaker 2: Then that would be the plant right behind the gate that looked like it was dying.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, not, I apologize. Not only did it look like you were aiming for the drain underneath it? I could tell, right because but there's just dead leaves all around it. And then I want to point out, by the way, always invited to come into my home, you never chose to do that. You never knocked on the door and said I used to the bathroom. You are always you always went out to the side of the yard. But the stench after a while I had to start I want you to know I had a weakly hose down that area, just to be fair. It wasn't just me agreed, And to be fair, I told you, hey, if I'm not here, ever, you can go pee right here. That is a spot.
Speaker 2: And I do remember in the beginning I made an effort to move around that space and try to hit different plants.
Speaker 1: Then I kind of lost enthusiasm. And why are airstream such a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: They seem like when you walk around and start looking at the construction, very simple, elegant and effective. And I think that all the ones who were doing remodels on have been driven down the road for a couple hundred thousand miles and just had the ship beat out of them.
Speaker 1: You can't have something put together with ten thousand rivets and be forty years old and not leak. How much time did you spend sealing her up?
Speaker 2: I think we dedicated two solid weeks just to fixing the leaks, and then boy throw out a couple different rains. All the rest of the project, we discover a few more, and yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Oh, Airstreams should sponsor this show, and then I could film this show out of an airstream. You airstream. Give us a brand new airstream, one of the beautiful ones to a big, huge one. All right, good? Did my driveway chickens bother you? Only they're aroma? Oh? Really?
Speaker 2: There was a I'm not sure if it was your sewers backing up, but for like about an hour every day, there'd be.
Speaker 1: A bit of a stench emanating from right around there. I guess I never noticed my chicken smelling.
Speaker 2: It was kind of disturbing to look at them, watch them do their thing. They turn around in that area around the Kloaco would be kind of muddy and mucky. That was kind of hard to look at.
Speaker 1: Did you ever learn my chickens names? Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy? You told them once? Told me once their grandparents right there?
Speaker 1: Oh good memory? Betty, Katie and Hazel.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell you which one was which.
Speaker 1: Betty is black? All you have to me o black baby. I liked having you out in the driveway because that's always always fun to come out there and see the progress, or see your frustration, or watch you. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way. Are you a little clumsy boy?
Speaker 2: Sure wasn't your driveway that time around?
Speaker 1: I felt like I've watched you stumble in and out of that airstream.
Speaker 2: Man, I could I could not negotiate the depth of that step.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it was. For four months, it was just your toolbox. Yes, and how many ms you hit your head getting out of the.
Speaker 2: Airstreams twice once in the beginning, huh, and you you know, generally do that once. It's like, okay, I've established that height. And then boy, towards the end, I got myself good.
Speaker 1: By the way you had help at the beginning. The people that you would bring no experience in building either. It's like you're like, oh, this guy is a writer and he's got some time off, so he's just gonna help me. Then he brought one guy over to work and he wouldn't stop insisting on painting mural in the bedroom. And I was like, I don't want a fucking mural, man, How do I say this nicely? You could have just said it just like that. I didn't. I just said no, I think we're good, or my wife's going to handle the artwork, and he's like, no, I tell him I want to paint a mural in here.
Speaker 2: I think when he heard your wife was going to handle the artwork. He was really nervous for you.
Speaker 1: That was Nate.
Speaker 2: Nate, if you're listening, wonderful work.
Speaker 1: You did great work. Just you know.
Speaker 2: Nate's actually a fine art painter. That's sort of his miliu is bringing that sort of life to things.
Speaker 1: Here's the difference between a white person in construction versus a lot of times the Latin appeal. They would be in my driveway at six a m. Till two thirty. They avoid traffic on both sides. You different style, show up around eleven, stay till it's uncomfortable, and I'm walking outside at nine him telling you, hey, fucking wrap this.
Speaker 2: We have a noise ordinance. Yeah, I try coming earlier. There's just so much traffic from the part of time I was coming, I mean there was kind of no way to avoid it. And then when I was on a schedule to get started better, I was stopping at one of three different home depots almost every day.
Speaker 1: Our all home depot layouts the same, pretty damn close. You know your way around real well, I think so. Yeah, you ever asked for help or no, No.
Speaker 2: I don't need to ask for help.
Speaker 1: That's growing though, By the way, what's the best power to uh to buy?
Speaker 2: You're talking brand or the brand brand? Oh boy, I think right now Milwaukee is probably the best Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: I think I've got Milwaukee, Milwaukee. Why don't you send me some more shit? I love Milwaukee. They should be a sponsor to this podcast. Milwaukee. I don't think I have Milwaukee. I think I have Makita. Is Mkeita not good?
Speaker 2: If you like that sort of thing?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? That seems like, well, they're they're.
Speaker 2: Asian designed and made, so they're a little more elegant, and we Americans like things that hit hard and bash things. So Milwaukee and do Walt pack a little more punch with the interesting interest?
Speaker 1: Sweired? How everything? You know? There's there's there's a lot that are drawn. I'm not foreign to work in with tools or you think I am.
Speaker 2: You didn't look particularly handy.
Speaker 1: WHOA. I'll give you this though.
Speaker 2: When you talked about adding that little badge or emblem to the electric car you got for your son, you talked about the hardware, and you said, how would I go about this? And I said double stick tape. And I realized I could see the reaction on your face, and Daniel actually knows what I'm talking about in this.
Speaker 1: Well that I know what doubles.
Speaker 2: He realized it was a better option than using hardware to penetrate the surface of the brand new car.
Speaker 1: All Right, I gave you a few points so I know how to tape something. It wasn't Eddie here. He has a little cabin in Tahoe and all the time just as like, oh, I'm putting in a new bathroom and I'm like, I know you you don't have any ability to do this, And he's like, yeah, we watch YouTube figures you figured out and he does it and does it look good? It doesn't look it looks better, but it also looks like somebody that oh this was your first time. Good, good try. Yeah, I'm gonna show photos of your bathroom like a grade schooler. You can. I mean, it does look better, it looks better. It doesn't it doesn't look it does doesn't look amazing. I wouldn't say it amazing, but that you know, that could be some of your design choices. And that's just you know, a difference of an opinion. By the way, were there any of my uh decorating or design ideas that you thought, this is not gonna look good or colored choices, And now that you see it, go okay.
Speaker 2: I was not a fan of the penny tile in the shower. Oh interesting, I like penny tile, but the color was I know something about it. It just it just didn't work for me.
Speaker 1: Pink. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, normally in a shower you would have if you're gonna go with penny tile, it would it's normally on the floor, uh huh, and you would counter it with something else on the walls where we just kind of went everywhere in it. Yeah, it does look better now that it's complete. Now, once we had the hardwood floor and then we had the off white everywhere, and then the two wallpapered walls.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: That helped quite a bit. But you still don't seem like you like it to this day. It would not be my choice.
Speaker 1: You're completely wrong. Let me tell you something. Everyone everyone loves that shower. I'll stand corrected. When I first met you, we started talking about in your life. Interesting, fascinating, fascinating for sure. Okay, can we get into it, go for it all right, Let's start with just off the top of my head, you were adopted.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I grew up in San Diego, and my parents told me from a very early age that I was adopted at birth. We didn't really get into it. So you were born in Sandigo, I was born in San Diego. Yes, I was actually come to find out. I was released to them the very next day.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, so it was probably during the pregnancy. This was all worked out correct, huh.
Speaker 2: And then I grew to fifty years old not really knowing anything else about it.
Speaker 1: I never wanted to, not really because I felt like I had my family, of course, you know. But still I've looked into adoption before. I'm not I've been very interested in it my whole life of adopting a child, I thought. But my wife wanted to have her own children, as a lot of people do, and I'm not. That's been great too. I'm still open to it, and I think now maybe that'll be something we can do. But now I've learned there's no more of these closed adoptions or secret adoptions where you don't get to know the information the parents. Information now is just it's always readily available. Okay. So I have a comment about that, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So I think it was maybe two thousand and six, when I went to get my marriage license at the county Clerk's office in San Diego. The clerk took my information, confirmed my social Security number, and then said, hey, are you aware you're adopted? And I know, as a matter of fact, I am. He said, well, do you want to contact your birth parents? No one ever put that to me before, and I said, well, no, I guess not. Why do you ask this is well it says right here the information is available and says you're free to contact if.
Speaker 1: You're like, uh, what a weird thing for him to do. Yeah, that's cora. I mean, borderline. He's an insane person, but he probably has a monotonous job and rarely gets to have any fun, and he's like, watch me blow this dude's mind. Totally in hindsight that day, you should have been like, you know what, just rip that marriage license up and walk out him. And oh boy, that is that is correct? Yeah. When I met you, you were like, hey, you were going through a divorce. You're like, but you still lived with your wife, your ex wife? Yes, uh huh, so I think that explains why I was having to kick you out at ten o'clock at night. Something to do with it. So this is two thousand and six, back when things were so sunny, so sunny, so full, the beginning of a relationship. Yeah, it was amazing, Okay, And he tells you this, little does he know? He just put a seed in your head that eventually is going to explode.
Speaker 2: So in twenty seventeen, my father died, and in that year following I started thinking about what about my birth parents? Do I have any other family? And so I simply called the County Clerks office in San Diego and said I'm ready to have that information now. And the response was, actually, there was a bit of a foul up. We weren't supposed to be letting any of that information out, and this was apparently a statewide mistake somehow, and they said, now the law stands that every adoption is sealed. So they were unwilling to give me any information. And then later I filed some kind of a form, applied for it for the information for a bunch of different excuses, and they came back and said, look, unless you have a medical emergency that the doctor gives you a note and says we need to know what's going on in their family, you're not going to find out about this, not through us.
Speaker 1: This is where it gets a little weird.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've told you this part, so I think the following year, I was with a friend and she said, hey, do you want to go to this giant medium event? And I said, what's this.
Speaker 1: The way she's setting this up, then I don't want to go to this.
Speaker 2: So twenty bucks ahead you feel a small auditorium. Two mediums sit in psychics if you will, sit at the stage, and they talk about what it's like to to contact people in different ways and living and dead, and then everyone's allowed to ask one question, and just to add little drama, I ended up being on one side of the room, so I was the last person they asked, and I said, Hi, I grew up adopted. I'm wondering are my birth parents alive?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And I figured that was a good question, because if this was just the whole cold read technique where it's a you know, it's some kind of a parlor trick. They both seemed a little flu mixed. They asked me a few questions here and there, and they said, sorry, you can't really can't really help you. And I was like, no, we'll see it's bullshit, right, It's complete bullshit.
Speaker 1: That's what you needed to know, well that it was complete bullshit.
Speaker 2: Well, as I walked out, one of them pulled me aside and said, hey, we don't like to respond to any negative things, right, So I didn't want to say this and full front of a room full of people and have you take it wrong, but said, your your birth father is dead, your birth mother's alive, and she doesn't necessarily want to be contacted by you. Oh fuck, all right, So that seems odd.
Speaker 1: Ah, no, it seems insane. Well it segues here, we'll go all right.
Speaker 2: So then later, just deciding I really want to know what the genic makeup is, I do twenty three and meters and my first cousin, Marlene, if you're listening, thank you again. My cousin Marlene is on Instagram and she immediately calls me and spills the beans about my whole family living on the East Coast. My birth father had in fact died. He had died the same week as the man who raised me. That I thought of my father and who was your father? Yes, even though you say I thought him as I? I okay, okay, I call him Dad. He's Dad. Okay, So Dad and Biot.
Speaker 1: A week apart, same week.
Speaker 2: In August of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh, Ery, Well yeah, now, if she'd have brought that up the median she was actually correct as well.
Speaker 2: That birth mom, bio mom, you know, had me in secrecy and didn't want the family to know about it, and in fact, when I contacted her, simply ignored my calls and emails for like a month.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can only imagine what I would do if someone from let's say, Kansas City that said they had an abortion fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Ago, Springfield, Missouri, something like that.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is also part of the reason it took nine months to do my airstream. Continue, do you believe in I'm supposed to ask this my first question to all my guests, but for you it's been my fiftieth question only because I know the answer. Do you believe in ghosts? Absolutely? All right?
Speaker 2: Continue, Cousin Marlene put me together with my brothers, okay, gave me their phone numbers.
Speaker 1: Your cousin Marlene says you have two brothers, full brothers, which means I'm just you know, I'm spelling this out. This means that your parents had you, gave you for adoption, stayed together, and then had two more children. Correct. Correct, that's interesting, right. I mean, I'm just trying to think of my family. My parents had four kids. Imagine if how much better my life would have been had they given one of my sisters up for adoption. I'm not saying which one. I'm not starting any feuds, all right, continue, So my two brothers, you contacted them. They were opened, They were completely open to it.
Speaker 2: They both called me like within that week. I think one wanted to rattle on and on and on like I do, and the other was like, hmm okay, well let me know when you're gonna be out here. One's a house builder and he worked with our dad, and then the other one is an auto mechanic. He owns his own little garage and Vermont. He's kind of in a I don't want to say he's like a hermit, but he's he's kind of out there in a small town. Sure, But apparently when dad wasn't building houses, his pastime was building drag cars. So so you know, I got both.
Speaker 1: Your adopted parents named you Scott. Yes, did the birth certificate have a different name.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't.
Speaker 1: So they got to name you. They got to do everything. What are your brother's names, Jason and Matthew? Did they know you existed? They did not.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew apparently, so cousin Marlene said, after she and I spoke on the phone, she said, I hung up with you, and I neatly called my mother and she said when she answered, I just said, mom, which one of your sisters ran away to the West Coast in nineteen sixty nine, had a child and thought no one would ever find out?
Speaker 1: And apparently, wow, this cousin is is fun at the family. Yeah, she is just a shit stir.
Speaker 2: Apparently her mother sort of gasped very dramatically and said, I knew that's what happened.
Speaker 1: I knew that's why she took off for a year. So apparently it had never been admitted. So you finally talked to your mother bio Mom, Yes, bio and your mother not your biome. Your mother. She was aware that you were going down this rabbit hole. Yes, absolutely, and was totally fine.
Speaker 2: She was great with it because she had two brothers and two sisters, and she felt like that experience of having a lot of siblings in a large family was like one of the better parts of her life.
Speaker 1: Was she as intrigued by the discoveries or confused or any of it?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it landed a little awkward in the beginning, like, hey, I'm gonna you know. I never talked about bio mom with her, although bio Mom eventually tried to friend her on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Interesting, interesting choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really enjoyed seeing pictures and hearing conversations. She spoke to both my brothers on the phone at one point. Okay, yeah, so it was good.
Speaker 1: Okay, how was the first meeting with bio mom.
Speaker 2: Wasn't exactly a joyful reunion?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: First I met my brothers and I hung out with them for a bit. It turns out, just as a coincidence, the entire family was at this one house. So I came pulling up in a rented minivan and there was thirty five people.
Speaker 1: So they did that on purpose knowing that you were coming.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't think so. I think at that point bio Mom wasn't really talking about it much.
Speaker 1: They didn't know you were coming. They didn't.
Speaker 2: Most of them on that porch did not know I was coming.
Speaker 1: And then you just started seeing faces they kind of looked like yours. Yeah, I bring him something else. So you told me you used to used to be much larger. Yes, yeah, I was a heavier guy at one point. You lost a ton of weight, about sixty pounds, I think. Okay, when you met your brothers, it was kind of like both versions. Yeah, actually yeah.
Speaker 2: The second brother, Jason is probably the fittest of the three of us, and looked just like me when I was at my most fit. And my brother Matthew, my baby brother, Matthew. Yeah, he's carrying the weight. He's a bigger guy, right, He's also bigger physically all.
Speaker 1: Around, you know. All right, So you walking on the sport you start seeing faces and features that look like you. Is that freaking you out?
Speaker 2: It was interesting to finally look at people and say that's that's really a family resemblance, because I've never experienced that.
Speaker 1: I've never once looked at people and go, oh, you look just like or certainly babies. I've never been able to see like people look at my kids like they look like you, and I'm like, do they I don't really see it. It's kind of hard to see a shage. All right, so these people actually look like you, and you're like, no doubt out at these are my brothers, right, And then my mom, how was that? Did you do you walk? Do you hugger? Your handshake? What do you do?
Speaker 2: And we did a fist pump.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I walked up and I sorry, and I didn't know what to say, and she says, well, I'm your mother, and then she gave me a hug and it kind of broke the ice and we chatted a little bit. But there were a lot of people, you know, it was kind of like I just won the super Bowl or something. There was just like a lot of loud talking and cheering and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Is she good looking? She's in great shape for her age. I'd say she looks healthy. I mean, you got great hair. That's that's her side of the family for sure.
Speaker 2: This is Grandpa Selepski's hair, in case we're looking at it there it.
Speaker 1: Is, so that's good hair. Yeah. Did you did you breastfeed from her? No? Not even not even you know what, I don't know for a fact. No, I met when you guys are at the reunion. Just to break the ice. Mom, I think you owe me this. It's time to eat. So when you showed up at this family readnion, did you immediately request all the back birthday gifts?
Speaker 2: I didn't even think too.
Speaker 1: I mean they missed a lot. They did miss a lot. Before you met your brothers, did you, like, like stalk them on social media to make sure that they didn't need a kidney or anything.
Speaker 2: I did stalk them, but I wasn't looking for medical conditions.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was no big red flag.
Speaker 2: They don't have a huge social media presence there.
Speaker 1: And then after that day, just all a family again. You guys moved in how to work by all.
Speaker 2: Mom was kind of holding me at arm's length for a little while, but as time's gone by, it's, you know, it's become okay.
Speaker 1: Even though she did the right thing for her, the guilt of giving away a child is a weird thing for probably any person. And then to face it fifty years later is yeah, it's not like you were coming with like a malicious intent or anything like that. But I'm sure she still felt the weight of this, like, oh, I'm sure, and that's that's that's a tough thing.
Speaker 2: I think it was the second year I flew back there and met the family for Christmas, and there's a lot of people there that didn't know anything about me still, and so I kind of spent the evening introducing myself. And there's a lot of confused looks about that, like you're who kept getting that quite a bit.
Speaker 1: How many years older are you? Then you're the next closest brother.
Speaker 2: Four years, four years, and then brother passed, that's another four years.
Speaker 1: Well, well, well the three of you, by the way, did you have any health issues that you needed to worry about after going down this rabbit hole? It appears not. I would love to find out that my parents aren't my parents. I literally would go, oh, that makes so much sense. Well, it is interesting you say that.
Speaker 2: So I certainly got along with my family growing up and all the extended family. They're shared interests, But I mean I was the only creative, if you will.
Speaker 1: And do you think that's because the parents that you had in the West Coast just a different environment? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know. They were both they're both very blue collar people. Mom grew up on a farm in Iowa and dad actually lost his dad when he was really young and spent his formative years, just moving all around the state.
Speaker 1: So you think you probably, out of your siblings, you had it better. I think so. Actually, right, yeah, one of that sounds a horrible thing to compare, but that's what my job is to a right. Right.
Speaker 2: I feel like I got to grow up in San Diego, you know, in the seventies and eighties. I mean, it was just beautiful there, you know, in mild weather, and there was a lot of fun to be had. There's outdoor sports, there's motor sports. It's all good stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. And now you're throwing all of this away, are you not? And you're you're you're heading across the country to work with your brother.
Speaker 2: I am, you know, I'm just gonna take off. I want to spend some time with my brothers. I have the opportunity. That's Vermont, that's Connecticut. Oh, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: He's the housebuilder. Are you going to build house? He's already booking me for work. So how do you build in the winter? Connecticut? In the winter time? Let me tell you how depressing that place is.
Speaker 2: Ugh. I think he spends a lot of time sitting by a stove getting warm in the winter.
Speaker 1: That always makes me mad with builders like like like in La if it sprinkles, nobody shows up to work for four days on a work site. I'm like, oh, so you're telling me that they need complete sunshine to build in Seattle. I don't know. Somehow they get it done. Which one are you living with? The one that that's grumpy or the other one.
Speaker 2: The grumpy one I'm going to I'm going to Matthew's house. Initially, are you you you know, bully him?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know what? Actually the middle brother does that? No, right, first night, wake him up with your nutstack on his head. Just let's say I'm missed out on all this good huh. You know he's a lot bigger than I am. That might you guys gonna take a bath together. You should recreate all all You should recreate every childhood photo with the sibling. You should take baths together and then do a calendar. Yeah, I know people don't you have calendars anymore, But you send out a friendly calendar of all of the missed opportunities that you had with these brothers. One time I had my brother hold on to a rope that I tied around his wrists. Okay, so I tied him run his wrist. We were playing some form of prisoner and then I tied the other end of the rope to my bike, and then I started riding my bike and was making him run around my house in our backyard in Saint Louisa, and I was just going faster and faster, and I just kept telling him, eventually, you're gonna get tired and fall. That's what you missed out on. That was man.
Speaker 2: That was particularly cruel.
Speaker 1: It was I don't know that he ever actually fell. I probably got tired sooner than he did. Is it possible that you have yet another brother named Spike Ferirestine. It's funny you say that.
Speaker 2: When I was working for Spike, we were chatting about something in the hall and he goes, come over here. He took his glasses off, put him on my face, and he said, it's like looking in a goddamn mirror.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you worked for him. I did work for Spike. I didn't know that. I always give everybody a gift on the show. This is what I'm giving you. I don't want him in my garage anymore. You seem like a man, and I'm not. They look like folding ramps. Yeah, they're folding ramps. Alright, I don't want them. Okay, I'll take them, thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't need them, but I'm going to now go out and find a piece of equipment that requires there.
Speaker 1: Yeah but you, but you're a dude. Yeah, hey, these are great. Actually, whoa careful you? You cut yourself? You also enjoyed. You would see how I would torture people, Panda cousin. I used to occasionally go out in the driveway when you were working. You would not and I would put a horribly offensive bumper sticker on her car. They were bumper stickers that I had made when I used to do my other show. One of them was like I chug jizz and I'd put them on the back of her car and she would never notice. So, for instance, the I chugged jizz when she went to a concert that night and she I like, like a small local concert, like and she pulled into the parking lot and there's a bunch of people milling about, like getting ready to perform, and they saw the bumper stick and they go like geez, lady, and she's like what and and she's like, oh, like just mortified. But it would make her a hit at the party. I still do it, just so you know. I do it constantly and sometimes you'll catch it in a couple of days. Sometimes Copp will pull her over and be like, hey, you shouldn't have that on the back of your car, but anyway, I'll give you one so you can have one. I don't know if you want to stick it on somebody's or use it for yourself.
Speaker 2: That everyone you love will eventually die. Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just it's sometimes you know the right person to give that to you, and then you stick it on their car and you just laugh and they're like, give it on the floor next to your table. Hey, you're If you're moving to the East Coast and something goes was horribly wrong with my trailer, how fast can I get you back? I promise a seventy two hour turnaround. By the way, I love my airstream is my problem. And don't say this just because I want to hear you say that. I don't know that I actually want to hear this. Is this the best project you've ever done?
Speaker 2: I will I will say this. This is not to placate you. I really I really enjoyed your project. It was challenging. I did a couple I did a couple of things I'd never tried before that came out beautiful, Like when we did the ship lap and actually brought it all the way around in a curve into that front section. I'd never seen that done before.
Speaker 1: No, it was good. I just I just assumed we were not.
Speaker 2: Going to do that, and when you brought it up, I was both pleasantly surprised and kind of irritated. I was like, oh man, that's gonna like that's gonna I'm got to figure out how to do that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Now it's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I think it's beautiful. Everyone thinks it's beautiful, and I use it. We always have guests to staying in there, Like every other week at least there's somebody, and my son and I even occasionally get to do an overnight sleepover in there, which we've done. I'll tell you my favorite thing about the airstream is some peace and goddamn quiet just goes sitting there and I close the door and I hope they don't find me. Well, listen, whenever you're back, you're welcome to stay in my airstream for in my head I was gonna say two nights, but people always push it and get a little extra on me, So I'll say one night. Then you can. You can have two nights. You can push it too. You can push it too, and I'll give on too. You can stay in my airstream for a night, Scott. Thank you for building my airstream. Thank you for talking about your very fascinating life, and good luck in Connecticut with your new baby brother.
Speaker 3: Casha.
Speaker 1: Will Carl. It sure is sad now that Scott's not in our front yard every day. I want to thank Scott for being on the show. And we also gave him an additional partying gift as he was driving out of town one of my bumper stickers. I hope he gets tons of laughs out of that. He actually needs to come back. A small leak in the airstream and and I need him to touch that up. I'm sure he'll do right by me. Hey, I'm in trouble. What's going on? You know? We created this segment to check in on my mom's physical well being?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Ah? Sure as shit? I messed up forgot to do it. Last week she had a surgery cataracts. Okay, is that you don't consider that surgery. I mean it is. Yeah, I don't know if it's a check in surgery. Oh that's interesting, because she is. She's making me feel pretty guilty for not checking in on her. What is was that surgery even entail? Now? You know what? Let me just ask her. Let's see if she's home. Hey, hey, I wanted to check in. I heard you had surgery.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I had a cataract. What you missed it? You forgot to ask? Now? What is it? What exactly does that surgery entail? It's surgery. It's real surgery. They take a lens out that's cloudy, and they put a new lens in, and they put it so I can see. So I don't make glasses. So I have one eye for distance and one eye for reading. And it's great and I'm good. So you're not wearing glasses anymore. I've never worn glasses. I've always worn contacts. Well, I don't have to wear contacts anymore. Yeah, so you got one eye for close and one eye for far. Yes? Are you can you drive at night? I can?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't usually go out at night, but if I do, I can yes, Eddie. Eddie told me that this surgery doesn't warrant a phone call check in.
Speaker 2: Oh it did?
Speaker 1: Do you have any Do you have any other surgeries on the plate? I don't have any other surgeries on the plate. I'm done. Would you would you ever openly talk about some of the plastic surgery that you've had. I've never had any. You know, I wouldn't do that. You're all natural. We're done. That's it, all right. Well, I'm gonna check in on you later. Do you have any follow ups on this, on this major surgery that you've had? My follow ups, that's when you called.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my last follow up.
Speaker 3: I've had three follow ups, so you missed it completely.
Speaker 1: It doesn't didn't sound very serious. But I'm glad. I'm glad you've recovered and that your eyes are working well.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: Love you by Oh you know, she acts like she doesn't care, but she really does. Ye get that sense. Oh my goodness. And if you do see her on the road, if you're in Brevard County and it's nighttime, you need to get out of the way. That will blind slide you. We got some plugs. I'm gonna be in Fresno this weekend. Come on to see me. Check the calendar at Daniel Toosh dot com. Check out boyswarpink dot com to buy some cute clothes for any toddler that you know. We got The Goat premiering May ninth. Hear they're gonna drop three episodes on May ninth. Have you guys been hearing that? Yep? A lot of people talking about on the streets in Hollywood. Eh. What else? Do we have? Another bedtime story? Last week's bedtime Sorry for my once three year old son was the best. Actually, it was long, it was funny. I played it to him and he laughed. He laughed the whole way through. He thought it was he was getting tickled by himself. I was like, you can't laugh at your own jokes. But this week's this week's sucks. So what are you gonna do? Kids like me hit and miss see you next week?
Speaker 4: One to tell?
Speaker 1: So yeah, let's tell stories. You gotta go first and no down. He wants to go first? A right, let him go first?
Speaker 4: Get party came, Yes, tattap, get that tat? I name many he read?
Speaker 1: That story is horrible. Now you tell a story.
Speaker 4: Once upon a time and the soul we sid social legit bunny.
Speaker 1: All he wanted to.
Speaker 4: Do is samply, he twittered. All he wanted to do is sampling. He tay it, and then I just all it take. And then the bunny didn't know what to do, he said. He finally he sold to them what all yoga? And at my talk will house?
Speaker 1: What is joining?
Speaker 4: And then the other got what it? How that could do? And and just so when waging
Speaker 1: This story is no good either