Speaker 1: Welcome back to our classic episodes, Fellow conspiracy Realist. In twenty nineteen, we put our brain trust together and we asked ourselves what will humanity be like in one thousand years?
Speaker 2: And since it hasn't yet been a thousand years, this is still very much topical, one would argue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we're also joined with some very special guests here, friends of the show, John go Forth and Brent Hand who are hosts of Hysteria fifty one, or they I guess they were hosts of Hysteria fifty one at the time, but either way, friends of.
Speaker 2: The show, Brent the dead hand Hand as we like to call him.
Speaker 3: In John go Forth, Tally go Forth, Tally Hoe go Forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, well yeah, he does tend to move in a forward direction.
Speaker 1: So our question is in this episode, in this conversation, what would it be like if you met someone from the year three zero one to nine? How different would that human being be from the person you find yourself today in twenty twenty four. We still believe this is a worthwhile conversation and we look forward to your thoughts, So tune in and hit us up if anything has changed on this one conspiracydiheartradio dot com.
Speaker 2: What was what was a thousand years in the past? Can you guys do some cocktail math real quick?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting ready for a project thirty twenty five, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: There we go mandate for leadership. Also, to answer your question, it would have been as we're recording now, it would have been ten twenty four, which was a big year for humanity in several terrible ways. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was hot in ten twenty four? Uh?
Speaker 1: Plagues, plagues, nobody was washing their hands. Mmmm, swords Just a couple of quick hits.
Speaker 2: Henry the second died in ten twenty four and Conrad the second, first of the Sallyan dynasty, was elected king only after some debating among dukes and nobles.
Speaker 1: And ten twenty four CE was a leap year. Put that in your pipe and smoke. It were fun at parties. Here's the episode from UFOs to Psychic Powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 4: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is matt Our.
Speaker 1: Compatriot Nole is on adventures, but will return soon.
Speaker 5: They called me Ben.
Speaker 1: We are joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission controlled decad Most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. However, you are not alone, fellow conspiracy realist. We are exploring the idea of humanity in one thousand years with a ton of asterisks and a dollup of optimism. And we are not diving into this exploration on our lonesome. No, quite the opposite. We are joined by some friends of the show, some personal friends of ours, the host of our peer podcast, Hysteria fifty one. Check it out if you haven't yet.
Speaker 3: Everyone, please welcome John go Forth and Bent Hand.
Speaker 5: Gentlemen. Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: I guys, I told you I shouldn't bring Brent, but you still allowed it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I begged and begged, and you know, just.
Speaker 6: Probably the worst decision was allowing conspiracy Bot here. We will try to keep him quiet.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. That's true. Conspiracy Bot. Also, thank you for coming.
Speaker 3: Did you notice that Scully seems to really be getting along with conspiracy Bot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: This is an audio podcast. Maybe if they do something that's remotely work appropriate, we'll take a picture and host it.
Speaker 6: But right now, yeah, we can't show it right now.
Speaker 5: We're just it was a bear getting the TSA, so he needs to enjoy himself. This last time we're traveling with them.
Speaker 1: Smells like circuits burning, and it's so guys, Like most people, we spend a great deal of our time here in the present twenty nineteen.
Speaker 5: As we record this, everyone I know spends their time in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we spend a lot of this time thinking about what might or might not happen in the future. And most of the time when we're using these great predictive computers that we refer to as our brains, we're using this this imaginative capacity to think of what we could call small events, not in a diminutive way, just like things that don't really rock the friggin' timeline.
Speaker 3: You know what where if it's on your calendar?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Stuff on account? Where am I going to go for lunch? What are my list of errands? You know? How can I get out of that conference? Call those kind of things?
Speaker 6: When will our son supernova? I've got that on my calendar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly because we oh yeah, we have money on that, right, Yes, so we also have a tendency and we could even call it a compulsion to wonder about those large events. Let's define it, very loosely, arbitrarily as any event that involves a group of people large enough such that members of the same group may not know each other and may never meet. So this is interesting because for both Hysarian fifty one and stuff they want, you know, really for any podcast that's that's a large scale event because a lot of us listening now are probably not going to meet each.
Speaker 4: Other, right WHOA I never thought about it like that.
Speaker 1: The universe is a cold, lonely place. So you know, we've got examples of these, like what's a what's a large event?
Speaker 4: Oh, sure, like a huge election.
Speaker 3: Let's say a primary election or a presidential election. The people who are actually voting probably aren't going to meet each other. You're definitely not going to meet everybody who's voting in that election.
Speaker 6: Nine to eleven. Yes, there you go from impact from not being there even to the people who were there. I mean, there were so many people impacted that weren't just in those buildings and surrounding communities and such and family members. Not all of them all met.
Speaker 1: And that's an excellent example because that's a single event rather than something like a war that goes on for years.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's a So that's a large event, and it's all it's also a long term event, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're still reeling and the effects are felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's because in addition to defining something as a small or large event, we can also imagine them the way you said, Matt, short or long term. So this so nine to eleven clearly a long term event, but a short term, large scale event would be a celebration in your city, like the Bulls win in Chicago, because you guys, you guys live in the Windy City. And when the Bulls win in Chicago, what do people go nuts?
Speaker 4: Excuse me?
Speaker 6: We call it the lower fourth. Well we haven't seen that for so long, I'm not sure how. But when the Hawks won the Cup, yes, when the.
Speaker 5: Comes one, seven million people I think showed up one of the largest human gatherings in history here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So a long term, small scale event then would be something we're like, all right, I got this kid, now, I got to send them to college. At some point, I better start putting away the scratch, right, And this can take longer, but it's not really It might not alter a timeline. Today's episode is about a long term, large scale event. One of the biggest questions we ever deal with. What's gonna happen to us?
Speaker 5: You know, the collective us? Yeah, collective us? What are we? Where are we going?
Speaker 1: Not what's going to happen today or tomorrow, but a thousand years from now? And off air this is this is an idea that we were talking about that we had originally. I don't know if we mentioned this on Hysteria fifty one. We had originally when we were talking with each other, we're like, all right, yeah, yeah, one of us will do an episode on humanity in a thousand years, and then the other and then we'll do a companion episode about humanity in ten thousand years. And we started looking into the research and we were, you know, Paul, you're gonna have to bleep me on this, but we were like, holy, ten thousand years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you could just say whatever you want. Maybe you know.
Speaker 6: We're all jellyfish, yeah I know.
Speaker 1: And even with so we just did an excellent episode. Well I really enjoyed it. I thought you guys did.
Speaker 4: I was good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you too.
Speaker 1: Conspiracy and we did an episode on the future of humanity in one hundred years, and what you guys should us was that there's quite a lot of stuff down the pike that not only is possible, but is in a very real sense inevitable.
Speaker 5: Right, And that's the big I think that's the big defining difference of you know, when we look at these things, is what are we controlling and what is just going to happen? That's you know, this inevitability that is just we're careening towards these events.
Speaker 6: A lot of times, I think, especially with technology, it really is the pebble that starts the avalanche. But once it started, you're not stopping it. Yeah, Like the progression of our processing power isn't going to even though we're not following More's law, still it is not going to stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a train with no breaks, right. Yeah. This is this is the part of the show where we want to want to let you know that if you haven't checked out Hysteria fifty one, please do it. In this episode, we're going to be exploring some things that dovetail with the previous episode. So if you want to get the the full cinema for your ears experience, stop now. We'll wait check out our earlier episode.
Speaker 6: And for you comic book fans, we're referring to this as a crossover.
Speaker 1: Events, a shared universe.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm Batman.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, I respect that. I respect that. How far are we crossing over? Can I go Marvel?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: Just stay away from image and we'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, their creator owned.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's true. So all right, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Sure, So let's talk about where we humans. Everybody in this room, everyone listening is going to end up in one thousand years, ten generations ostensibly from now.
Speaker 1: Well to understand that, Matt, don't we have to go back to Would it be helpful for us to go back to one thousand years before now?
Speaker 4: I guess?
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Thanks for saying that, because otherwise.
Speaker 3: All right, that's that's really the only thing we can do to have an understanding. Right, Well, let's see how far we've come in a thousand years and then extrapolate from there.
Speaker 1: And Brett earlier in our previous episode. You you mentioned the phantom time hypothesis, so you're when we're playing a little bit with history, please write in by the way to hysterianation and us and let us know what your take is. What actually happened in ten nineteen, right?
Speaker 5: What year isn't really? Year is really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can use the juw Ja calendar if you want as well. But okay, so here's the here's the good news. For a lot of people. In broad evolutionary terms, just basic biology, one thousand years is not a drop in the bucket. It's not it's not an it's not an iota of spit. It's not a snap.
Speaker 6: So you're saying it's not enough time to develop gills Kevin Costner style.
Speaker 1: The only flaw in one water War, the only one.
Speaker 5: It's been worked out behind his ears.
Speaker 1: And for some reason people hated that. They were like, that's so convenient, it was so great.
Speaker 4: You jerk totally forgot about that.
Speaker 6: I got an idea, guys, mad Max on a water world.
Speaker 1: Now only if we get the guy from Field of Dream. That's really the glue. But yeah, this means what does this mean? Like, like, what happens if we meet someone putting aside all the interesting problems with time travel, we just don't think about it too.
Speaker 5: Too intents and purposes. If you met someone besides you know, maybe some some language barriers and in the way they're dressed, you wouldn't really know the difference because in the last thousand years we haven't changed that much.
Speaker 6: I mean, you kill them, like, don't use don't give them a blanket.
Speaker 5: It'll probably twenty five years old and look seventy. You know, it'd be a.
Speaker 1: North Centinal Island situation. Possibly, but but yeah, you're you're absolutely right, you've nailed it in one. We would still eat the same food, we still need the same range of environmental conditions, and if there's a little bit of romance in the air, you can reproduce.
Speaker 6: There's actually a documentary that explores this. I think the other member was a little a little older than just a thousand years old, but explores how they might operate in modern society. It's called Encino Man.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I.
Speaker 1: Felt, I've got to learn that every time you reference a documentary, it's not so it's interesting. There have been some discernible changes. People like doctor Alan Kwan, who works with computational genomics. He he has some very specific ones. One of them is kind of weird, right, did you you saw this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the concept of our foreheads changing.
Speaker 5: They call it the Manning syndrome. Yeah, Peyton Manning.
Speaker 4: You guys are just brutal.
Speaker 1: Remember that old insult when people call someone the forehead? More like five heads? Pretty soon if this trend is correct, a thousand years from now, and people will be making fun of three heads if you're if your foreheads too small?
Speaker 6: Too small?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So we also seem to have a trend of growing taller as a species, but a lot of that is dicey. Can we can we call that straight up evolution?
Speaker 6: Or is that just our ability to feed ourselves better and breed with Scandinavians?
Speaker 1: And yeah, there a tall bunch. There are a tall bunch. Like how now we have this, we have this conspiracy that they are Scandinavians, scandidate.
Speaker 3: But the biggest difference between that human and you really would be things that are a little different. There's societal things, right, medical care, like advances in technology that have allowed for communication, Like you said, language barriers are going to be different. Even just over all the beliefs and values of that person are going to be vastly different. Sure, but I mean that's really it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't Yeah, it doesn't mean that they have lower or higher cognitive ability, right, It just means that their priorities will also widely different.
Speaker 5: You're very much you know, you're product of your environment you're surrounding, and so that's going to play heavily into that.
Speaker 6: You might show them a car and they think it's magic, but that's you're You're so right about it not being their cognitive ability. It's why we we we did an episode not that long ago on go Beckley Tepi and and and the or the Pyramids or whatever, and there's all of these anthropologists to say, well, how did they do this? How could they possibly figure this out? Well, because they had the same sized brains that we do, that's how they did. I mean, a lot of elbow grease, maybe a few decades to figure it out, and you can build stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And that's why you know, there's a valid criticism of a lot of ancient alien theories where it's like, okay, so what's more likely? Is it more likely that someone came all the way to Earth and built a vague geometric shape and then left and didn't you know, they don't want you to know why. Or is it likely that people were always relatively on the same cognitive scale. Yes, yes, so this would appear to be good news at first blush because this means that for the past thousand years, the biggest changes to our species have been cultural and technological. Right, even the clear and excellent example of the diseases that we carry and are immune to, that is a technological improvement. We didn't just biologically figure that out. And our population is skyrocketed. If we were a product at your local grocery store, what, what's the popular grocery store.
Speaker 5: In Chicago, Marianos and Jewel Yeah, okay, Kroger Baby is owned by Kroger.
Speaker 1: Fingers on the hand, I see, well, if we were a product in Mariano's, we'd still have the same ingredients, the same great taste, the same oddly fragile packaging. It's just easier to find us in more places. And we have a great example. We've pulled this up before.
Speaker 3: Oh, the world population at this moment right now, Yes, we're recording this. Yes, seven billion, six hundred and eighty eight million, five hundred and thirty four thousand, four hundred and twenty nine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's spinning really fat.
Speaker 4: It's going really fast.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, when you look at that clock, it's a staggering thing to see. That's how fast people are coming into this world.
Speaker 1: And we always it's always tempting when we bring that up in an episode. It's always tempting to check it again at the end and see how.
Speaker 5: Many people are sixty billion? What the hell?
Speaker 6: So, Yeah, the premise that most of us go with when we're you know, doing engaging in futurism is that where will we put all these people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is some.
Speaker 6: There's some new studies out that are looking at larger societies, maybe not the globe as a whole, and saying, actually, we are not currently running at replacement rate. So although it's kind of like the fact that we are, population is still growing is a function of things that happened fifty years ago, because those people are still alive and they overpopulated then, and that if if you look a few generations in the future, you can actually start to see evening out of because this number keeps growing, evening out or even decline. So there's not a consensus in the scientific community that overpopulation is going to continue to exponentially explode the way we kind of all been fed by.
Speaker 1: Like enthusie and reasoning and stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You don't want to go Osamandias on it and just wipe out most everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, snappy fingers.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll tell you the thing that made that guy Thanos a real villain and the biggest plot hole in that film spoiler is he could have just made the universe twice as big, or just.
Speaker 5: Doubled all snap it and you make it twice as big, you double all of the whatever you need, all the resources.
Speaker 1: I think he was just being super emo, to be completely honest, But his cosmic billy corgan this aside. We can say right now, in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: You also opened a T shop also shop.
Speaker 1: We as a species are making some huge waves of multiple fronts, and Matt and I were trying to figure out the best way to frame this, and what we came up with was the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 4: Right, So there you go.
Speaker 5: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: That's great, Anio Morricone, Right, good things, we get good things. When it comes to technology, we're the best in the biz because we're the only ones we really know, you know, like some higher order mammals can make tools, corvids can use sticks or whatever. But as far as we know, no non human entity has built a computer yet.
Speaker 6: Right, Yes, But I mean I'm giving it a fifty to fifty on dolphins, but we haven't found them yet.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And it's probably built to do something that only dolphins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we wouldn't understand that.
Speaker 6: When you get it, it's for dolphin kisses.
Speaker 1: Right, so some of us listen. Now, we remember a world before smartphones. We talked about this in our episode about humanity a century from now. We remember times before the internet, a world of landlines and paper maps. Somebody would tell tell you where to go at a certain time, and you would have to remember it yourself. And we are also learning more about our own bodies. Genetic research is definitely going to help us eradicate some genetic diseases, as well as eventually allowing us to tweak some specific traits for practical purposes and cosmetic ones. You know what I mean. You want you want kids with purple eyes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of the you mentioned on the technology side. You know, we talk about AI and we've we've all done episodes on AI. It's probably not worth diving deep into, but it is worth talking about that. We need to be careful as it relates to, you know, creating nanobots and things of that nature. I recently read are you guys familiar with Nick Bostrom, Swedish philosopher. He's got some really cool and interesting stuff on future And I read this thing about the h They call it the paper clip Maximizer, and it's basically a thought experiment, that's all it is. But it's the idea that the most mundane thing that you could tell an artificial intelligence to do could turn out really poorly. So here's a quote from him. Suppose we have an AI whose only goal is to make as many paper clips as possible. The AI will quickly realize that it would be much better if there were no humans, because humans might decide to switch it off, and their ultimate goal is to make as many paper clips as possible.
Speaker 5: Okay because cheer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is generalized AI, so it can think big pictures correct.
Speaker 6: Also, human bodies contain a lot of atoms that could be made into paper clips, reformat and turned into paper clips. The future that that AI would be trying to gear towards would be one in which they were a lot of paper clips, but not a lot of humans. And if you like from a if you hadn't programmed that robot to value human life or to understand empathy, we're talking like that could be a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that leads us straight into the bad. Yes, that's an excellent example. Many of the self same technological innovations that are looming on our species horizons will probably create new problems as readily as they solve existing ones. Like John, your example with the paper clip maximizer, aside from being frankly terrifying, is spot on because we don't know what this stuff will be like once we actually created. To our common knowledge, there is no functioning generalized machine consciousness generalized AI.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's stuff like no offense conspiracy bought, but there's there's stuff that can do specific tax as.
Speaker 6: We haven't reached the singularity, right.
Speaker 5: Right, And that's why it's such a broad term, because we don't It's that we don't know, and that's why it's so scary for people, and it's so inspiring for people. And everyone's seen terminator, you know, and so that's always looming in the back of your mind because that that is, I guess a possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a good metaphor. But it looks like we have we may well have a terminator situation. It just won't look human, it'll be gray goo.
Speaker 4: Yes, So this is the thing I wanted to bring up.
Speaker 3: The paper clip problem gets exponentially scarier if it's not making paper clips, if it's replicating, if it's just making more of itself, right, oh yeah, and if it's on a nanoscale technology that's just self replicated replicating.
Speaker 4: That means that the.
Speaker 3: Gray goo that is inside of our heads that can come up with making a nano bot and then getting that nanobot to have artificial technology to continue to replicate, then creates this thing that occurs out in the physical world that is a gray gu that is just an entire planet covered in nanobots that have self replicated to the point where that's all that's left.
Speaker 6: It's all is there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And if we survive all of this, then the other bad news concerns our bodies and the environment in which they live. Genetic research loves it. I think we shouted out Gataga earlier. It's a fantastic film. Watch it again if you've already seen it. Like most advanced technologies, especially in their earlier days, this is going to be controlled by wealthy institutions at first because of the way that society functions right now, and so before it bleeds into the genes of a general population, before like the descendant of Jeff Bezos scandalizes his or her family and sleeps with a peasant, this stuff would result in in something and it's most extreme that we would call man made speciation. But then there's the chance we talked about this for the tin Cream with traits and one part of the geni code could have unintended disastrous consequences. For fiction. A good example of this would be the Eloy and the Morlocks from the Time Machine.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, did we have the best of intentions and all of a sudden, now we're moment underneath the ground because we can't be on the sunlight just because Crisper ran.
Speaker 6: That's right, there's a ticking time bomb inside of every cell. Very A lot of geneticists are like, well, the key to immortality could be turning off that time bomb. One of the challenges or scary parts of that is there's one type of cell today that does not have that time bomb in it. It's a cancer cell.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 6: Yes, and so you changed the makeup of a cell a little too much, you become a big tumor all.
Speaker 1: Of a sudden, right, right, and technically speaking, very technically speaking, there is one immortal individual Henrietta lacks at least her cancer, right.
Speaker 3: You guys love us no, no, no, Well, listen to our episode on do we do an episode or.
Speaker 1: Just a we did an episode on immortality? Got it in the various terribly problematic ways.
Speaker 4: It's achieve it.
Speaker 3: It's this crazy messed up thing where this one woman's cancer cells were taken as uh samples to be tested right for testing, and then all of the like all of the other samples that were that existed in this one building ended up having Henrietta LAX's cancer cells in those samples. And then they started realizing, wait a second, somehow these samples, because they were being shipped across the planet to be studied, uh, they ended up in all the cancer cells, or at least the vast majority of them.
Speaker 1: And they they continue to reproduce.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, wow.
Speaker 1: So technically immortal, but not the kind of immortality you probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah remember for But it goes back to our whole humanity as a virus thing spreading across the cosmos from our last episode.
Speaker 5: Isn't that what you want to do? It's you want to reproduce and you want to live. You know that you're bringing it down to its basis terms. But I mean that's the idea. And guess what I was. I needed to leave this body. I need to leave this planet, you know. And they say we're going to have to be an interplanetary species. Well guess what virus is spread.
Speaker 1: We get angry when it's cancer, but we're one hundred percent on board if it's us, right, right, right. So the last thing is the climate. Yes, the climate. You've heard it before. It is the tragedy of commons writ large. Unless we all at the same time make some massive changes, the climate seems set to inevitably change in some drastic ways ocean acidification, temperature changes, deforestation, and so on.
Speaker 6: I have one question. Yes, you guys are familiar with the Kardashiev scale. Yes, we are currently a point seven on the Kardashiv scale.
Speaker 5: Seven two three. Come on now, no coteam.
Speaker 6: They say that a level one civilization can control all of the energy on their planet, and as a function that they can control all of the weather. Everything pretty much is happening in their neck of the woods. If we achieve level one in the next thousand years, don't we also achieve the ability to go, oh well, we can just do whatever we need to do the atmosphere and make sure that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, the problem is getting to that thousand year mark.
Speaker 6: From here to level one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is, don't let.
Speaker 5: Anything that we've already done to ourselves erase before we can get that.
Speaker 4: Quit's fair.
Speaker 3: If if life has existed on other planets and emerged from a goo from a you know, a chemical reaction that occurred because there just happened to be the right molecules on that planet, don't you think they do they go through a very similar process of figuring out.
Speaker 5: Scis Yeah, that like life is probably very similar. Of that's the grand equalizers. If they're smart enough to save themselves, because they all probably come up to this part. Stay we're at now, we're very close to the tipping point we were talking about, you know, a singularity. We're almost to that point now where we need to decide that we want to better ourselves or are do we want to wipe ourselves out?
Speaker 6: I think that's assuming that they're like normal ish whatever we consider that, like carbon based life forms. Yeah sure, you know, there's also people that speculate that on gas giants, sentient life could develop in a way that we don't even understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I guess what I just what I mean is the fuel, the available fuel that exists on whatever planetary body the life emerges from, ends up being used up to an extent or altered to an extent, no matter what it is.
Speaker 5: That for us in a thousand years from now, if we're going to be able to do the things that we needed to save our planet from extinction of whatever might happen. To be able to explore the cosmos, we're gonna need energy and things like that that come from far more exotic places, black holes, other dimensions. These are the things that they say that we're going to be playing with if we are you know, to be a you know, a level two or something like that. So climate in and of itself is nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yet it's everything.
Speaker 5: Climate exactly.
Speaker 1: Climate is the the VHS that we have to use your earlier tample mat the VHS. We have to keep them working order until we can afford LG. So the last thing we mentioned the good. We talked about the bad, the big bads. Now we have to talk about the ugly. Just briefly, there's one ugly thing you should keep in your mind, folks, as as we listen along. The number one ugly thing, the frightening, horrifying anti ganesh like elephant in our species collective room is put simply this, there is a very high chance that we will not make it to the one thousand year mark. We were safe. In our earlier episode we said, you know, we're assuming that nothing terrible happens to the one hundred year mark. Now we're doing that ten times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 1: In Stephen hawkins estimation, we absolutely are not gonna make it unless.
Speaker 5: We get off of Earth. Right.
Speaker 1: Stephen Hawkins not necessarily are curmudgeon, but calls him like you sees him. He has some statements that are pretty much along the lines of screw humans.
Speaker 5: Unless they get off Earth. Screw Earth. We need to leave it.
Speaker 1: You know, no disrespect, but it's working out. Aliens are real and screw them to So we're gonna get ai and you know what, screw that. That's I mean, I'm paraphrasing a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, we learned about a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Did you have you, guys ever spoken with Josh Clark, who did End of the World from stuff?
Speaker 4: You should know?
Speaker 6: No, we we really want to. We're gonna have him on to talk the Fermi Paradox.
Speaker 4: Yea, oh that's great.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he has a podcast that explores.
Speaker 5: All the chuckles that are that are facing us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a cavalcade of comedy. Yeah, but we recommend that. And with all this in mind, we have to understand that everything we are about to contemplate about human civilization one thousand years from now is inherently optimistic, if only because we are assuming that somewhere, somehow, something like humanity is still is still partying on in threeenty nineteen. What are we talking about. We'll tell you after a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 5: Here's where it gets crazy.
Speaker 1: Humanity one thousand years from now. Welcome to thirty nineteen. If you're listening to this, then hypothetically you have survived and out of all the weird trials and travails that you have encountered in thirty nineteen, you have decided to take a break and listen to a podcast, and you've chose this one. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Good job doing some ancient recovery of either technology or I don't know.
Speaker 5: This is part of an archaeological dig.
Speaker 6: This show is actually included in the tests ract.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it's going to go into the Smithsonian at one point in time or another, so you know it's true. Yeah, good lord.
Speaker 1: It would be like the regional version, you know, like how their Ted X talks right Smithsonian X. So let's let's see we left off one thousand years ago. We left off with the fact that there are inevitable things that will happen in the climate as we knew it from twenty nineteen, right, So a thousand years later, a lot of water under the bridge, you know.
Speaker 4: A lot of water over there, over the over the bag.
Speaker 1: So he did there, Matt, can you tell us a little bit about what's happened with the climate?
Speaker 3: Well, odds are humanity continued despite our best intentions, we continue to use carbon fuels, carbon based fuels and other things that put CO two emissions out into the atmosphere. Right, because as of twenty nineteen, CO two emissions are at an average of three hundred and eighty five parts per million. Sounds really low, right per million?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds really low. But here's the deal.
Speaker 3: That's increasing and if that gets up just a little bit higher to say four hundred and fifty, maybe all the way up to six hundred parts per million, and that could be really bad because if it reaches that level of as an average, and then if in some way all CO two emissions just stop debt, no more carbon dioxide is added to the atmosphere.
Speaker 4: This is what would happen.
Speaker 3: There would be persistent decreases in dry season rainfall that are that are and would be comparable to the nineteen thirties depression era, like the dust bowl that we've all heard of, that would just exist that there would be in zones of.
Speaker 6: All your life, now, yeah, it would be.
Speaker 3: There would be zones of this stuff, this terrible situation all across the planet, every everywhere from southern Europe to northern Africa, southwestern North America, which already you know, is not doing great in twenty nineteen. If you think about some of the wildfire situations and other just heat situations, Southern Africa would be affected, Western Australia. Human water supplies, specifically fresh water supplies aquifers.
Speaker 5: Which is already suspect right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, that stuff would decrease much further. Again, fires would just be everywhere.
Speaker 1: If you're one of those people who hates being cold, thirty nineteen is like your year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually several years after twenty nineteen, and then up until thirty nineteen.
Speaker 4: It's your face.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's your era.
Speaker 3: And all kinds of agriculture is going to be hugely affected by this, just because of the differences in rainfall at this point, because of these things.
Speaker 6: Now, you said if it if all the emission stops, you mean you're saying that we take we make progress, and they all stop, but these will still be the outcomes.
Speaker 3: Yes, Because it takes that long for a large climate change to effect to be affected, essentially a thousand years, right, That's one of the main issues. It takes forever to the effects will be seen rather quickly, and then it takes a long time to fix.
Speaker 6: Those put the toothpaste back into the tube.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is to say, though, or this is without saying that there could be technological advancements up to this point where we could cause that CO two to be out of the atmosphere for one reason or another.
Speaker 1: That's our wild card. We're leaning heavy on this one.
Speaker 6: I don't know about you, guys, but I have I've learned most recently that climate change isn't actually a real thing. And no, it's not a real thing. You saw how cold it got in the in the Midwest this winter. Obviously things aren't.
Speaker 5: Getting climate change other.
Speaker 6: And as we all know, plants like CO two, so this isn't a problem. I don't know why we're talking about this. I can't, but in all seriousness, if I do think, if we make it to a thousand years from now, isn't that kind of part and parcel with we will have the technology to fix this like the the in between time, like you mentioned before, Ben, is the challenge. Yes, but if we make it there unless I guess there's one addendum to that, if we get reduced to the place where we are, you know, a bunch of tribes running around again because we've lost technology because of cataclysmic events. I suppose in that case it wouldn't. But assuming we're still a relatively normal society, whether it's a global society or still split up by then wouldn't we have the tech to affect changer hopefully?
Speaker 1: The question is whether, given our tribalistic nature, we would be capable of cooperating on a large enough scale to implement it in a meaningful way. So maybe some country or some institute, or increasingly what would be likely is some large private institution, a company the Koch brothers, sure, the Koch brothers, Nessley, Unilever, Haliburton, all the hits, all the good ones. They have a let's say that they have a way to game the weather in a specific region, or they have some thing like innovative breakthrough the weather dominating Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, and throw the wildcard in and you're fine, right right. The question is what sort of negotiation or arrangement would they expect people to enter into in order to gain access to that technology. That's study about CO two, by the way, is from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and according to their study, they're not a super controversial group by the way.
Speaker 6: No, actually, Noah, I mean getting biblical on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're sort of the bad boys of oceanography. They they do say in this same study that changes in surface temperature, this is a quotation, rainfall and sea level are largely irreversible for more than one thousand years after CO two emissions are completely stopped. And they if you look at the study, they've they've gained it such that they go from the average emission now to maybe they say, it increases just a little bit and then it all stops. It increases toward that more reasonable number the match just named max out at six hundred per million, and then that just stops. The The scary thing is it's not going to completely stop. Like that's just not how things of that scale.
Speaker 6: We'll be breathing.
Speaker 1: That's true, Like we emit.
Speaker 6: CO two every time we take a breath.
Speaker 1: Classic usum, Sorry, I've been really off off away from the podcast, off topic here. You guys ever get caught in the overuse of a turn of phrase or a figure of speech, Yeah.
Speaker 5: You can't stop using it.
Speaker 1: They're like, ah, I've got to stop referring to things as classic whatever.
Speaker 5: The other person just says it's.
Speaker 6: Kind of like when I refer to things as a documentary when they're not really documentaries.
Speaker 1: Well, you did that so well because I felt that after you had clearly showed us that that was on the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other one is I went through oh, I will die on this hill, which is a melodramatic way to apply to anything.
Speaker 6: That aside barring you actually being on a hill and willing to die over it.
Speaker 1: Right that actually that does not happen yet. So if you're listening in thirty nineteen, writ in and let us know what your favorite turn of future phrases, assuming you're alive.
Speaker 6: It's like it's like Fill and Ted. You guys literally saved the universe.
Speaker 1: Well, you're in this too now.
Speaker 3: And all of this is just to say that in a thousand years, if we don't fix this right, it'll look this way. So and the other thing that we'll see is sea levels because of this, and it's directly related to those co two. Yeah, and that's also a pretty It doesn't sound as bad initially when you say it that if it happens the same way, oceans will rise at an average of I think one point two feet or something or what is it?
Speaker 5: A one point three to three point two feet.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is, so like a maximum of a meter, right, But.
Speaker 5: When you think about that though, yes, bye by Florida, Yeah, by all these coastal areas.
Speaker 1: Solomon Islands, Yeah, a lot of Micronesia. Then the leaders of those countries, a lot of island nations are very well aware of this, because even back in twenty nineteen, they could see this stuff happening and they pled their case to I think we used to call the United Nations, which may still be around, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Well speaking of in twenty nineteen, it was in twenty eighteen, I believe that a piece of the Arctic shelf fell off that was the size of Delaware.
Speaker 5: Jeez, what a wonderfully descriptive size Delaware.
Speaker 1: That's our new Let's just compare things to the measure. I've attatched a picture of Delaware for comparison.
Speaker 5: It was three point six delawares. That's great, let's do that.
Speaker 1: So, yes, the ocean will rise, and it will rise by two meters if CO two peaks at one thousand parts per million and two meters makes a hell of a difference. That's that's where you know, the smart money has already bought something inland, right right, and they're waiting for the beach to show up.
Speaker 6: That beachfront property you own in Arkansas, that's right, right, right.
Speaker 5: Right right.
Speaker 1: This this brings us to we're talking about the natural world. This brings us to another thing. Even in twenty nineteen, we as a species, we're undergoing what's called a great extinction. Great great extinctions are nothing new. It's not the first, this will not be the last, but they are brutal to experience. In the moments, you know, a thousand years Hence, we will have already have lost quite a few wild animals, quite a few plants, a ton of insects, many of which were never discovered before they went extinct. But because we're a thousand years in the future now, we may also be able to pull a wooly mammoth and bring them back.
Speaker 5: We just don't know where we will put them.
Speaker 6: Well, Ben, you spent so much time trying to figure out if you could, you never stopped to think if you.
Speaker 5: Should know.
Speaker 6: A mastardization of it. But yes, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: We look at all these things that they're just talking about. The bees, are now on the endangered species and they say, you know, where are we without bees and politenization? I mean hurting very much so, so you better hope that we have that kind of technology or wherewithal now to change things. Like you said, a hard stop, you know, but you know there needs to be a lot of hard stops in almost every one of these camps for our next thousand years to be something that we want to be a part.
Speaker 6: Of, another threat to throw into the ring other than being in an extinction moment, other than where the climate could go from a warming perspective, we are overdue for the next ice age. Oh yeah, and in a thousand years makes it much more likely. Now it's a weird catch twenty two because they most scientists think that the reason hasn't happened again yet is because the global warming saving ourselves by killing ourselves. Yeah, it's like cutting the rope. But you're like hanging over a vat of acid, Like I'm either going to hang here or I'm going to fall into the bat of acid. These are not good outcomes. But and I am I am not a climatologist. I don't know if I told you that. Guys before we started the show.
Speaker 1: I'm not you're pretty, You're not like some kind of weather surgeon or whatever they call it.
Speaker 6: A climatician. But I have to imagine that the balance there of global warming versus the Earth really wants its next ice age all play in somehow to a cosmic soup of not goodness.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's that's the thing. That's what makes this a tricky topic. If we're talking about the planet in one thousand years, it's going to be around. It's it's right, it's going to be, by and large still home to some sort of life. The question is whether or not people are still going to be in the mix. And for assuming that they are, they're going to be radically different from what we know. That thing we talked about where we could speak, well, we could interact with someone from ten nineteen and they.
Speaker 5: Would look sort of like us.
Speaker 1: That's probably not the case in thirty.
Speaker 5: Nineteen, because of environmental or designer reasons, either or apps.
Speaker 1: I would say, I would argue largely designer reasons because now we are capable in thirty nineteen of impacting, affecting, and steering our own evolution and adaptations. Because despite the Great extinction despite the ups and downs with the climate or the ecology in which we live. If we're around and civilization hasn't collapsed, we are going to be doing amazing science fiction level stuff. Will we be close to being a Type two civilization? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Type two has a hell of a gap.
Speaker 1: You know, there's there's is Type two, the one where you are able to your star, your top, your star, right, harness the.
Speaker 6: Entire basically, will we have a dice in sphere?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Or progress to where we don't need one because we've come up with some other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we get to type one and we say, okay, let's just let's stay here, let's franchise out Mars and maybe you know the shopping districts. Yeah, if the Martians want to do it, they can. But we will have this amazing technology. We will have super fast computers, perhaps perhaps so so very quick that they are no longer computers to us. They are part of us, you know, Like we mentioned with people becoming you know, becoming digital versions of themselves. This is this is rife for all. So a side note, a new era of folklore. Can you imagine all the urban legends you will literally hear voices in your head. Your ancestors will not have died, right, they will still exist. Yeah, you've got beef with your great uncle. He's still around.
Speaker 6: Now you're saying he's still around because they captured his consciousness. Yes, okay, it's funny.
Speaker 4: One of the.
Speaker 6: Technologies they're talking about, but this could be actually a lot sooner than a thousand years is just taking enough writings and enough other input about a person and their life, and all of a sudden you input all of that and you get into augmented or virtual reality and you're sitting there having a conversation with Samuel Clemens. You know, it's an approximation obviously thereof but but you mean actually talking to the person.
Speaker 1: Right right, the digital essence the closest we could get perhaps to a soul at that point. But it gets even weird because we will also like, at this point we're clearly in ship a thesis territory, and this means that, you know, maybe let's say you have the the digital ghost of your great great grandmother says, you know what, Brent, I remember the Scorpion Wars and I would love to go to that museum with you. Just buy me a body real, right, because now it's just hardware.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: They call him a sleeve? Was that in altered carbon?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, sleeve?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, guess let's stop right there for a second and we'll come right back afterward from our sponsor. All right, strap in, let's get back in this.
Speaker 6: The other wild card here, Yeah, that could impact every aspect of what we've talked about, whether it be how we harness power. Do we have the technology to create a dice in sphere? Uh? Do we have the technology to save our Earth? To to do all of these things would be the interference of another society, extraterrestrials, So interdimensional or interdimensional?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: I uh. We talked about this on our show a lot. Whether we believe in aliens, there's two questions always hidden there. Do you believe that another form of life exists in this universe?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Second question, do you think they've been here?
Speaker 5: That's exactly exactly we are.
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't think that they've been here, but I think we are very very close to them showing up, Like I think we're getting farther, far enough along to be able to send some signals out there to be able to see things. I think we're I think that we're going to get to a point very soon where they're just going to show up one day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have our.
Speaker 6: From Star Trek first contact, have our warp drive moment now the if that happens, which I think is just as realistic a possibility as we can upload our conscious I mean, like it's just the showing up, Hey, they're here, that if we do acknowledge they exist. You know, if depending on how old they are, their technology they're they are, if they are able to reach us from something that we can't see right now, chances are their technology is so advanced that they could help us, help bring us along. And I that would I mentioned wild card, that would be the ultimate wild card, because they're introducing new technologies to us that bring us. I don't think it's the alienation thing where they're just as messed up as we are and have the same internal and strife and you know, because then it's just that doesn't align to me. How could they have gotten here so quickly with such advanced technology just to be as you know, but then as we are.
Speaker 5: That opens up that whole other, you know, line of thinking of if they are that advanced and they're going to see that. Why do they care? Right right?
Speaker 1: That's the thing. The question then becomes not whether we would be capable of recognizing this as sentient life, It would be whether it recognizes us as such.
Speaker 5: Mitchillkaku, he was like he was, everyone sees ant hills. When's the last time you said, ants, here are beads and trinkets. Take me to your your queen. And if you do, the ants still know you're talking to them. Now is the ant dumb because it doesn't understand English? Or is it Are you dumb because you're trying to talk to an ant?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm dumb because I've got the magnifying glass out and I'm trying to burn them with the sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah right. It's just I mean everything gets very quickly to the level of stories from the Old Testament, you know what I mean? Like we can we can we can give favor to these ants and they'll say, oh food, or like oh the other ants that we're killing us are mysteriously gone and the land is poisoned.
Speaker 5: I just wherever we go, if we're ever in that position to where we can be the ones too out there, we just build pyramids and leave, you know, and so that way for a generation.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a power move, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I vote we get weird with It's just confuse the hell out of them. Let's uh, let's let's give uh let's let's give some very basic and wildly arbitrary, irrelevant rules, you know what I mean, Like, uh, let's ban people from doing or let's ban a life form from doing something very specific with its antenna, or and it's got to be something they would normally have never thought of doing.
Speaker 5: Right. Uh, but you're but you're right.
Speaker 1: This this span of time, this one thousand years, it inherently includes space exploration at this point, right, very very soon. As far as twenty nineteen went, el on Us was planning to have four ships permanently on a circuit to Mars in the twenty twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty two, they're gonna start sending you Twenty twenty five, I think, is when that's gonna kick into Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So even if that estimate is wildly optimistic, which it is, But even if even if it's so wildly optimistic that that doesn't happen until twenty one to twenty five, still another nine hundred years. So if we're going to if we're going to get to space, it is going to be within this time span, which makes it one of the most important eras in human history. And that goes to your your point, John, that will involve us putting out so much noise in the universe, even more than we already have. And we all read those, you know, those kind of bleak dystopian sci fi pieces where we finally get a message from space and it's something cryptic like sh they'll hear you, and that that could be the thing, because we could also find ourselves in a situation we're just speculating. Now, there's not a basis on this as a thought experiment. We can find ourselves in a situation where I would advance. This is more likely the meeting of biological life form, where we find the creations of some other organic life form and they're really into paper clips. We know that Pluto used to be an entire sphere, but it's slowly disintegrating, and then we have that calculator. That's the thing, given what we understand about travel across these impossibly vast distances, unless they're unless they have a propulsion or transit system that redefines our understanding of physics, which they pretty much would have to We would be in one of the worst waiting games ever. We would say, we know something's coming, we know it's not natural. We have four hundred years together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so people are gonna spuild religions around that. I mean everything, every I mean mass hysteria.
Speaker 1: And a lot of a lot of religions that we have back in twenty nineteen. I'm riding this dead horse to the ground. They will have also changed such that they would they may be widely unrecognizable to people practice them today. Right, the Catholic Church has soldiered throughout the years and may well still exist, but may also have a very different set of practices.
Speaker 5: Well, they've they've come out in years recent and said like, hey, if aliens come, it's it's okay, It's part of God's plan. It's part of the Bible, you know, all inclusive, bringing on in.
Speaker 6: I whish you would have been burned for not that long ago, the same thing that. But Ben, I think you bring up a really good point, but you can almost take it to the next level, not just religion, but society and species changes. So continuing along the thought experiment, as a society, we're probably a global society by that point. We probably speak one to two languages as a as a group. The rest are dead languages, and we probably you know, one currency for the planet. I mean, these are just things that are almost inevitable over that time period. If that's the case and we are an interplanetary species, we're going to have to do some of the things that we discussed earlier, some gene editing, some addition of cybernetics, things of that nature. We're going to have to change to live in different environments. So there's probably going to be a group of people. They could be living on the ore cloud there. There will be a group of people at living near Proximus century. All all of these people will have had to have changed and could be gone for long enough periods of time because of how long it takes to get there that their heritage there. The way they look, they almost would be disassociate themselves from the history of man. They are their own thing.
Speaker 1: We have created aliens one thousand years. Hence we have created aliens. The most well known to us are probably Martians, correct, but The lunar people are pretty weird too. They're like the new Florida.
Speaker 6: Well it's underwater. They had to go somewhere soon, man, Florida.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, by which I meant awesome. And Disney owns it. But that's that's fantastic though, because now we may have.
Speaker 5: Also it's the weirdest part this.
Speaker 1: Maybe a thousand years is too small a margin for this, but what if we had a successful colony on Mars somehow survived, not just survive, but thrived, and then and civilization on Earth collapsed, we entered a dark age. We had legends about Martians, but they never screwed up to the extent that we did. And they decided to come visit us. They're like, wow, our parents' house is trash. Like that's that would be an alien encounter for us. They would be extraterrestrials, right. But at this point we will have had if we're around it all, we will have had people visiting these places and hopefully living there on a semi permanent basis very quickly, and I think you raised this point earlier, Brett. They will speciate.
Speaker 5: That or be completely uploaded into some sort of cybernetic you know, Westworld, right, and then then that negates all of that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, so we may have we may have a situation where everybody on Earth speaks thus one to two languages. That's incredibly likely.
Speaker 5: But we may be in.
Speaker 1: A situation where someone says, okay, I have to use my cybernetic parts to my my in the cloud software programming because I've got to speak with this martian and then who knows what the hell they're talking about.
Speaker 6: And it becomes even more likely if we play out the scenario we discussed earlier where we're using we start with self replicating robots getting us to other places, and then if we want to go there because we can't survive you know, the five hundred year trip or whatever, we laser shoot our consciousness there. They like Mitchiukaku, you mentioned him earlier, Brent. He talks about a day where we will be cosmic tourists and so oh you want to go, you know, look at this exo planet that is, you know, fifty light years away. We just we shoot through a laser our consciousness there. You've got a robot body waiting there that you rent for the day, and you go look around and see the big volcanoes, and then you shoot to the next planet and so on and so forth. Now taking that a step back, just the ability to get there, but and and shoot a large laser beams, shoot our consciousness there. If we shoot there and the laser, the laser itself could take five hundred years to get there, depending on how far away it is. There's no time involved to you. You get there and then you know, a thousand of your friends, you start a new all of a sudden, now we've got a new species of robot people.
Speaker 1: Right, and yeah, and we're again we're much more likely, based on what we understand about sentient life, which is very very little, we're much more likely to run into technology of some sort that sentient life created. It's it's the the Geer kind of example from Star Trek, right. And what's fascinating about that is there's a very important step that we can't we can't miss. And I know, as some of us we're listening along, we said, well, all right, send your consciousness through this laser. Robot people come back to Earth, right, return these memories to you know, Matt or John Prime or whatever you call yourselves, to experience that what that means is they're going to have to reverse the cloud process. They're going to take the relationship between neurons mapped out virtually, and they'll see that and see the difference between that, and then have your neurons performed the same dance so that now you can remember these things. And all you had to do was, you know, to wait, switch bodies whatever, repair yourself for five hundreds to one thousand years geese. So it's it's like, you know, it's there's some time involved.
Speaker 6: I just want to know one thing, how how long will I need to work to build up that kind of time off?
Speaker 1: No Ah, that's the question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll I'm gonna put my out of office on I'll be back in a thousand years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, DMV. Still terrible. It's still terrible.
Speaker 3: It is crazy to imagine that perhaps one day our species will think of time on that kind of scale.
Speaker 1: I think we would have won't have to inevitably, or it'll just be an illusory thing.
Speaker 5: We know that.
Speaker 1: We'll have a terraforming down pat It will still be it'll be an imperfect science, but we'll have a lot better idea of what we're working with and what the scale is we will have finally answered your earlier question, gentlemen, whether it's better to use a laser or nuclear weapon on the on the poles of Mars. Yes, we'll have new energy sources, some of which we're going to have a difficulty comprehending. In twenty nineteen, harnessing interactions in higher dimensions or different dimensions will also have utility fog.
Speaker 4: Which is the utility fog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a well thought experiment now, but it's like, so the philosopher's stone in alchemy can transform any substance into any other substance, utility cloud, a utility fog. Rather, it's kind of like a nanotech version of that. You can say, well, I'm I enjoy this domicile, but now I want something a bit more what do they call it Southwestern? I want something with a Pueblo feel. Make it so, and then this fog, these nanobots would just rearrange into whatever they thought you meant. Now Hopefully, hopefully it won't be as fraught with hilarious error as telling your Amazon or your Google Home in twenty nineteen, what song you want to hear?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: T Oh Gray Hot.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like a crazy three D printer from the future. Yes, yeah, just a living, breathing three D printer.
Speaker 6: Well, I just made the quite necessary Star Trek the next generation reference, Yeah, the better series. Sorry, yeah, I know, I just made a hot take. Hot you just started a war, Yes, Kirker Picard, you decide No, they thank you?
Speaker 5: Uh? They.
Speaker 6: The one thing we haven't talked about with all of this is, okay, but what if we do achieve faster than light travel, or what if we do find a way to bend space time to where you can you know, warp seven and and we just virus out everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is just in a word, it's gonna be baller. Yeah, because like we can, we will be able to finally confirm things that we have worn wandered about since we were able to wonder about things.
Speaker 5: Are we rare?
Speaker 1: Are we alone in the universe? And by the time, by the time we take time out of the equation, which is tricky, but that is the right way to say it in English, then all bets are off. Everything has changed. You know, if you are if you are warping time in space, then you can visit ten nineteen if you so wished it right. I don't know if people would or if we recognize, because now at this point in thirty nineteen, people are recognizable to us, but we are We are early man to them, right, And we use our hands to do things, not out of some sort of fashion statement, but because we have to.
Speaker 3: We still eat a whole bunch of food.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, here's the thing. So we've talked about this in the past. Human beings. Now we think of ourselves as individuals, but we're much closer to cities ourselves, given all the cells that outnumber us, that live inside us. And this trend will continue, and in a thousand years again, if people are still around and nothing super horrific and existential occurs, we are going to redefine. Our privacy will be gone longer. Oh yeah, privacy is a relatively recent notion in twenty nineteen, and that's probably when it started to die now too, But by thirty nineteen, privacy will be a weird alien why would you do that concept? And the concept of the individual will change as well, because the individual will be just the way that our consciousness now is an agglomeration or the sum total of interactions between neurons. We will each individually be a networked node of several different things. You won't just have have one cloud consciousness, You'll have multiple. You'll be a group mind, and at times that group mind might not agree with what you consider.
Speaker 5: You, which is freaky.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's It's something we've always stated in multiple languages throughout ancient history, when people like I'm on the fence, I'm of two minds about that, you will be of several hundred.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, guys, in the end, no matter, you know, all the things we've discussed so far in this episode, all of us in this room, the four of us, Paul out there, everyone listening in their office right now, and oh, Conspiracy bo I didn't even see you back there.
Speaker 4: He must be recharging drunk. Oh, that's what it is.
Speaker 6: They eventually pass out, so all.
Speaker 3: Of us, you know, in the end, we're all gonna get together in twenty nineteen and decide that our species is going to move forward towards the future. We're gonna steer our planet and our civilization in the direction of a utopian thirty nineteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, can we.
Speaker 1: Get some inspired, inspiring music under that.
Speaker 3: I'm totally totally kidding, guys, all of the decisions that could lead to any type of utopian future will be made in corporate boardrooms and in government situation rooms, and the decisions will be based on profits and margins and election cycles.
Speaker 4: The end we fizzle out.
Speaker 1: I mean for some for some point of time. Oh, I wish we had more time. I find myself this is unusual for us, Matt. I find myself a little bit more optimistic.
Speaker 4: I think it's because of these guys.
Speaker 1: It probably is. And speaking of John and Brent, maybe we should maybe we should end on a end on a cooperative new and go around the table. First off, guys, thank you so much for coming on our show on behalf of us and our listeners. Secondly, two questions. We'll start with you John. One, what of the things we've examined day, what do you find most exciting? And two, what do you find most terrifying? Oh, if you had to.
Speaker 6: Choose, let me do an reverse order. I think the most terrifying is the idea of moving from where we are to that next phase two where we become a first or second class civilization according to the Karda chev scale. I think the road between here and there is littered with a lot of potholes that could that could be really really take us off track and could become one of those existential threats, whichever one you want to talk about. I mean, I think they're all just as likely as one's just as likely as another. You know, That's what that's the most terrifying part, because and the reason that's the most terrifying is I'm a pretty big optimist when it comes to these things. I think a lot of negative human behavior is driven by need and necessity. Certainly some people are driven by power, but that power is rooted in the power that other people will give to them. And if the masses are fairly happy, they're not going to allow a tyrant to run them in just my one guy's thought. So I think that if we are able to get to eight thousand years from now, and we have made it past these existential threats, I do see a little bit more utopian. I think we'll be interacting with other alien species, and I think it will we will be a multiplanetary, perhaps multi galaxial if that's not a word I just made it up. Sound's pretty cool species. And I think it could be a really really cool future.
Speaker 4: We just got to get there.
Speaker 5: I think for me, the thing that is the most exciting is the thought of the exploration out there, what we could do. You know, It's one of those things you can just shut your brain off and think and there's really no wrong answers because we don't know.
Speaker 4: And that's what's awesome.
Speaker 5: The scariest part of that ties into that too, is I'm still hung up on the whole uploading of our consciousness and what we will be if in a thousand years, for us to be able to do those things, will we still be human?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: And you know that's what's a mean to be human? You know. I think it's the big question. And for us to be able to explore the cosmos, to go out to survive, we're gonna have to make a lot of changes, you know, internally, externally physically, and what that does to us is a big question mark to me.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, gentlemen, thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for having us all last.
Speaker 3: Just why don't you tell everybody a little bit more about hysteria fifty one where they can find you, what they should be listening to and everything.
Speaker 6: So if you haven't listened to Hysteria fifty one. We talk about a lot of stuff like this, conspiracy theories, UFOs, the unexplained, the unexplored. We do it a little bit differently in that our third host is not NOL.
Speaker 4: That'd be weird, but it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Our third host is an angry robot who you see here in the corner named conspiracy Bot, and Brent built him in his lab to help edit and produce the show. Instead, he just get drunks, he just pardon me. Instead, he just gets drunk and threatens to take over the world. Though he's kind of run by like a for eighty six computer, so it's not a big threat. Okay, he's not an existential threat. But yeah, and you can find us wherever you listen to your podcast, our website Hysteria fifty one dot com.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just anywhere on Facebook, Twitter, you know, Instagram, smoke signal, We'll get to you.
Speaker 1: And you have his Hysteria Nation Steri Nation, and yeah, you can search for that on Facebook.
Speaker 5: That's our discussion group and it's pretty active, so we have a lot of fun in there. You can you can tell us you know that we're wrong. You can also do it.
Speaker 1: You can also occasionally catch one of us matter myself popping in on Hysteria Nation because we are also fans of the show.
Speaker 3: That's right, and check out just while we're here, everyone listening, check out our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy. Just again, anything you want to talk about in the show. You've got a questions for these guys, Let's just all have a discussion. Let's talk about the future. Let's talk about how none of it's going to be good.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, is.
Speaker 5: It such a doubter? It's like, what's the future?
Speaker 1: Oh God, as Matt shakes his fist at the sky and the inevitable slow grind of what we recognize today as time. We reached the end of our episode, but not the end of our show. Tune into our next episode, which, without laying any spoilers because we're not quite sure which what we're gonna do yet, is going to be very very very very strange.
Speaker 3: And positive, so positive.
Speaker 6: Oh it's so good.
Speaker 1: Angel farts trumpets, Yeah, nice, like slow jack a numbers whatever. But in the meantime, we'd like to hear from you. You are indeed our favorite part of the show. No offense, John, No offense, Brent.
Speaker 3: And that's the end of this classic episode. If you have any thoughts or questions about this episode, you can get into contact with us in a number of different ways. One of the best is to give us a call. Our number is one eight three three STDWYTK. If you don't want to do that, you can send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff they Don't want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.