Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, April thirtieth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, episode number eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break with Life. Nest WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com Forward slash o leed Ebo and as you can see on.
Speaker 2: Your screen, why did you do this to me today? Because I knew I knew you would have that reaction. That's why why did you?
Speaker 7: Why did you bring this guy?
Speaker 6: We don't have Nick Harris with us today, but we've got I think a really great replacement for him today, mister Voch Lombardi.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Watch listen, Derek. I've been watching The Break for a long.
Speaker 8: Time, and you always maybe when you say that, And every time I watched the break, everybody seems to be suited and booted. And the one thing that I will not do is show up lacking or show up listen there.
Speaker 3: So I just want to throw on a little Sunday.
Speaker 7: I mean, nothing too crazy, nothing too crazy.
Speaker 3: It's I just wanted to I just wanted to match the end.
Speaker 7: Nothing too crazy, man, never never go too crazy. You've never been known to do that.
Speaker 8: Sorry, boy. We drafted some players. Boy man, you know that's the thing.
Speaker 6: We're going to get into this draft uh today and talk about what happened. You guys obviously did the Draft show all weekend, so you were there for every single pick, literally every single pick, not just the Cowboys pick. So we'll get into some talk around the Cowboys draft if we have time. We might even talk about some other drafts around the league or some interesting things that came out of the weekend, mister Seder Sanders. But we'll see if we got time to get into some of that other.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna have time.
Speaker 6: We'll see if we don't. If we don't, then we always have show next week.
Speaker 2: And there, Yeah.
Speaker 5: How many times. Have we done this?
Speaker 2: All right, So we're gonna go around the table real quick.
Speaker 6: I want everybody in a word or maybe three, how would you characterize the Cowboys draft.
Speaker 2: We'll start at your batch.
Speaker 3: Bp A shouts out to y'all. Learn you listen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that handle your business with the board, the way that thing's set up. Man, it was. I know it's two words, handle your business. I guess two words. But but yeah, they drafted their board. Applaud to you for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought they addressed a lot of the things that they were interested in except one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about a big one. A big one there was. We're gonna see what happens, if there's anything in the works or what they're planning to do. But I cannot imagine them going into training camp and starting everything up without adding a player that's a wide receiver with experience at least.
Speaker 6: All right, let's talk about the first round draft pick, Tyler Booker, Alabama guard. How much of ma an impact do you think he will make immediately coming right out of box.
Speaker 8: I think he's gonna be a Day one guy. I don't think he needs too much weight room as a day one guy like he's powerful right now, that's his profile. I'm powerful guy, gap exchange guy, I'm IQ guy, and I'm tough and mean guy, and I'm leadership guy. And I've been doing this for a long time. It' sec guy, you know. So I you know, there are some routes that the Cowboys could have gone right.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of roomors about.
Speaker 8: Gray's Abel grays Abel's cool, but North Dakota State ain't Alabama. His athleticism and all that kind of stuff that's not gonna move bodies. And Clayton Madams came in and talked about, Hey, we're gonna move the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: That's what we want to do.
Speaker 8: So you take Tyler Booker, you pair him with BB you pair him with big Tyler Smith because it's three titleers. We got to make sure we say the right names now. And even Terreen Steele when he was at his best, when he was working with zag Martin, he was a people mover. Zach gets hurt or you know, Bass gets in there, or Hoffman gets in there, then Terrence looks a little different. Coaching is gonna matter as well. So I can only imagine that Booker being back will help tern Steel out. So now we have I wouldn't say a question mark about four out of our five offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: I think day one you get a little better O line.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the overall experience if you look at last year though, from Tyler Geyton to where you drafted now, Tyler Goeyton really didn't have a lot of experience and the learning curve was very, very steep, and we saw that last year and you know, unfortunately there were times where he was hurt and unavailable and then at the end of the season there the coaches are trying to win games to make maybe make sure that they come back, and you know, he lost that opportunity from an experience standpoint. But when you're talking about Vachua, Stevens mentioned that, like with Tyler Burr, you have a guy that is lined up and played in a lot of big time football games. Dallas Cowboys are going to play in a lot of big time football games. They got the right guy here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm super excited to see him come in because I think he will definitely make an impact immediately. I don't see him having a very huge learning curve. Obviously, there's that learning curve that you're automatically gonna have year one. But I think he's a plugin player and he's gonna be able to be effective immediately. He's extremely smart. You look at his history, everything he's done, starting from high school all the way up until this point, and even listening to him the way that he describes things. He's so graphic, but I love it, like it makes you excited. He is very confident, and it just makes you believe that, Okay, this is someone that's definitely going to come in here and make history for the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Also, also, Booker can't get better. There's a lot of room for him to go. You know, he likes to, you know, lunge and lean sometimes when he's whooping people, and you know there's a coach that can tap him on the show like hey buddy, just keep your balance here, keep your feet here, keep your hands there. So there's there's there's room to grow. And I don't know how the National Football League does, but they find a way to make people stronger. And he's already strong guy. Next year he's gonna be bigger and his neck's gonna be swollen and he's gonna be strong and like man, Tyler Booker is even more of what he was good at this year than he was last year.
Speaker 3: A lot of room to grow him.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was looking at some of some different things I was seeing online, some different film of him playing. One of the things that stood out to me, As you were mentioned in Watch, even though his feet sometimes would get him into bad situations, his strength would allow him to recover. It would allow him to be able to get a hand on a guy and then get himself back into position because he was so strong.
Speaker 2: So, especially for a young guy learning the.
Speaker 6: NFL, dealing with with guys that are behemos and guys that are that are quick, I think that's gonna be an advantage for him starting out early, until he starts to figure out some of those technique things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you play, you play in a division with big time defensive tackles, and you've got to be able to handle what's going on in Philadelphia that the Giants and the Commanders that this is this is exactly what you need to to take on those types of players that you know, Let's be honest, quarterbacks nowadays, with the way the ball comes out, it's not always about the edge pressure. It's about things that happen in the middle of the pocket, you know, and if you're not good enough in the middle of the pocket, defenses find ways to attack.
Speaker 3: You a gap.
Speaker 7: And when they attack you a gap, your quarterback can be in trouble if you're not ready for it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we all agree this was a solid pick for the Cowboys. I think the question that comes out of this is going into the draft, were the.
Speaker 2: Right or wrong?
Speaker 6: A lot of people mocked Matthew Golden wide receiver Texas going to the Cowboys at twelve? Was this the right decision from the standpoint of value of player? Obviously they still need a wide receiver too. I think everybody agrees with that, and that could have potentially been your wide receiver too.
Speaker 2: But you get a guy who's very solid that you think you can plug in.
Speaker 6: He plays immediately and he can play for the next ten years at a very high level. Which was the better option here from the standpoint of value.
Speaker 7: Well, they told you which the better option was to them because they clearly and we've talked about it on these platforms, are in Dallas, Cowboys dot Com and myself on our show at Night, is that they thought that it wasn't as clear cut to them. It wasn't McMillan and Golden or even a Buca. It was you know, there was there was possibly McMillan, and then there was a gap. You know, as a rookue, he's even part of that. There's a gap between you know, where they were going to take some guys there, you know, and a lot of that, you know, and I I know with like I said, we've watched I talk and I take a lot of blame for talking.
Speaker 2: About receiver receiver, receiver receiver.
Speaker 7: In actuality, they were talking about let's just put our board together and draft our board. Where I might have said, listen, Golden's the guy you need to do this, you need to you know. No, they they had a clear gap and I and I get on them about hey or I asked them, please just draft your board, just draft your board, and they did so. To me, you know, is it the right decision? Yeah, they don't have a right guard. And I nothing against Hoffman or TJ. Bass or anybody else is going to play over there. But you got a guy that will play ten twelve years now and play at.
Speaker 2: A very very high level.
Speaker 7: And is you know, in your biggest investment is your quarterback, and is there going to be a lack of mobility with your quarterback? You need to keep the front of the pocket clean. Yeah, it's if he's on his back. It doesn't matter him throwing them to Golden or anybody else. It's not gonna work. You gotta find a way. They drafted their board, you know, and there clearly was a gap between what we thought with McMillan and any other receiver that was on that board.
Speaker 8: Something else to think about, too, Brian, is Dak is older now and think about the moves that they may win. Romo got a little older, all right. Tony used to throw the ball forty times a game and throw it everywhere. We were winning our best football when Tony was throwing a twenty five just thirty times a game. Right, give the ball to Murry and pound people up front. So you know, yeah, Booker's going to be about keeping Dak safe. But this is also about we're going to run the ball more. And if you're keeping Dak safe and you're throwing the ball less, why receiver two is a knee. But maybe it's less of a need than what Raguar would be and this tells you what they think about Hoffman and look shouts out to hoffin Man. Hoffan does everything, he does his job and no disrespect to him. But last year, when Hoffman was projected to be the center, we win, got a center that was powerful. And this year when he was projected to be the right guard, we went and got a right guard that was powerful. But I think Hoffman will be around. You know, you need these guys, you need ten or eleven offensive line. But just as much as wide receiver was in need, they looked at the right guard and said that that was in need as well, and they just thought Booker was a better dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely think you still obviously need a wide receiver. Yeah, the way that you look at how they went about it, I think that they're sticking with exactly what they've been saying since Brian Schottenheimer took over. He's emphasized the need of returning that running game, establishing the run, and that's where it all starts. You have to have a solid offensive line that is able not only to protect Dak because again remembering that he's returning from that injury, but also be able to create a running game. Create those gaps for those guys. And we've seen the best football that has been played here has been when you have a very solidified offensive line, and I think that's where it starts and what they're trying to do here. So I'm not mad about them going for a guy like him. Actually, and even after he got here and the way that he speaks and everything that he said, I'm even more impressed. And you look at the press conference the way that Jerry Steven and even Brian Seldon Haimer were looking at him. While they look like proud Brian looking at him.
Speaker 2: They had that proud Bryan. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's exciting. It's exciting to see that they're doing exactly what they've said they're wanting to do, and it's starting to take some shape and form quickly.
Speaker 8: No, something that just bothers me is I'm just looking all over the league and I say, boy, Josh Allen just won a big time game. He only threw the ball fifteen times. Yeah, or Jalen hurts through for one hundred and fifteen rushows, they blew somebody out.
Speaker 3: How did this happen?
Speaker 8: They're taking pressure off of their court now when it's for your quarterback to win, they'll go win and Dak can't do that. That's proven to you that he can get into a shootout and throw the ball fifty times and put points on the board.
Speaker 3: He can do that.
Speaker 8: But I get jealous when I see these other quarterbacks that get the credit. Jimmy Garrappolo won a conference championship game throwing the ball eleven times, and they say, boy, Jimmy Grapplo went out there and won a playoff game.
Speaker 3: That doesn't get that.
Speaker 8: So I'm excited that hopefully this year, next year, whatever happens, that will hopefully start winning games like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're They've been very clear.
Speaker 6: You look at what they've done in the coaching hires that they've made with Clayton Adams and Connor Riley all the way to this pick with Booker.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 6: I was telling somebody the other day, I was like, for the first time in a little while, I feel like there is a clear, a very clear strategic path, Like they know what they want to do, and they are doing exactly what they want to do, and I think it's all go to line out.
Speaker 2: In them being able to run the ball.
Speaker 6: And now we will see if they have the running backs to be able to do the things that they want to do. They've got some guys in this draft we'll talk about a little later that we think have some potential. But all that being said, it is very clear strategically what they want to do, and that is to be able to run the ball effectively, and I think they're they're putting all the pieces in place to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: We're going to take our first break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, we'll jump into the second day of the NFL Draft, talk about the second and third round picks and what those players mean to this team or can mean to this seane Next year in twenty twenty five, we'll talk about what come BA Dallas Cowboys dot Comray deal.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: Don't put off.
Speaker 12: Getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area and remember at take five, You stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Hand Crafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 15: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddi.
Speaker 16: French Press and Joe Calvery This Days Hot for hours and French Press thirty four for U six to four for the cruise of yetty. French Press put mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproof some wersa wa waterproof, Devil's waterproof bag bags forts mostly the watersh to get a waterprove, Yetti bagg Golt, smell something cooking. New cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, cobberence, pot pie and matatoes. Next ovel with three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 15: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 5: Today back to the break, LG oled Evoy is the best team in the game, but don't take our work for it. Digital Trends said that l gled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See you for yourself at LG dot com slash o led Evil.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. We are in this.
Speaker 5: Ever I'm losing my voice right now. I don't know why, but I'm losing my voice if weekend, I guess I don't know all those hours.
Speaker 6: This segment brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Right I.
Speaker 5: Did not talk as much as you well.
Speaker 6: This segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Let's talk some more.
Speaker 3: Draft.
Speaker 2: Let's get into the second round.
Speaker 6: Cowboys draft Edge Donovan as a ROKU from Boston College, shad out to the Queues. And here's the interesting thing about him. Everything suggests to me from what I've seen, from what I've read, the film I've watched, that this is a really, really, really great player. He was second in in all of college football with regards to the number of sacks, and if I heard the correct he was first in overall pressures in college.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought I heard that's.
Speaker 3: Sixteen Saxon about forty pressures.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that all being said, why was he available in the second round?
Speaker 8: He's six y two and Derrick, this is your first time hearing me say this in Ambar as well. Teams suck at drafting. Teams aren't very good.
Speaker 2: I've heard you say, because I listen to the draft shops.
Speaker 3: Team teams aren't good at this.
Speaker 8: And I think sometimes teams have their own measurables and they'll overthink things and they'll go, well, he's two hundred and forty pounds. That may not fit the metric that we're looking for. We want to get a guy like Mike Keil Williams who doesn't get sacks in the league, but at least he's about two eighty and he's tall. But the Cowboys have a type and they love arm length and Donovan has those has those long arms, brown like thirty three inch arms I believe in. And you see that shine in his pass rushing and he's a dude that knows how to pass rush right now. And I just personally feel that if you get sacks in college, then you will get sacks in the league. He's not a guy that we're gonna sit around and just wait on him to pick up pass rushing. He's ready to go right now. He's solid in the run game for his size. I don't think he would be a Day one run defender right now because the Cowboys have have run defenders right now. Marshall Niland will be doing run defending things right now. But as far as your NASCAR package, I call the end game, Uh, you got Donovan, Micah, Dante Sam if he gives you anything, you you you have a lot of names you could just throw at quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is uh.
Speaker 7: You know when him and Mike Green from Marshall who ended up going later in the draft beat, you know, because of some of the things that he was dealing with on a personal level and stuff. And the Ravens I think got a heck of a pick there. But the thing about it, he was one of if you ab dua Carter was like the number one guy in a lot of folks spoorts and then all of a sudden, Hey, now, now tell me who the next best pass rushers are. You know, Donovan was one of these guys. He was clearly into that, into that way. And you know when you watched him play, the ability to to bend the corner, to attack the shoulder, to get low, to finish where the quarterback is, the fact that they move him around, he stands up, hand down, left side right. You can put them at mike linebacker. This is very much like what they do with Michael Parsons in that type of player. And he was.
Speaker 2: He was one of the.
Speaker 7: Top three pass rushers in this draft. And sometimes the draft GUIDs do smile on you. And this is another example I think of Dallas. We didn't go into this talking about, oh, they're going to draft an edge.
Speaker 2: We really didn't.
Speaker 7: We were talking about a lot of at forty four, we were talking about the possibly of a one technique defensive tackle. We're talking about running backs. Maybe a cornerback was in play here, wasn't the edge rusher.
Speaker 12: Though.
Speaker 7: This is another great example of them sticking to that board and drafting the best player on it.
Speaker 3: Where's you have on yours?
Speaker 7: He was number twenty six.
Speaker 2: Twenty Did you give him first round grade? No, that would be second because he had fifteen first round You had eighteen first round yeah, fifteen.
Speaker 7: First round grades. Yeah, so I had him at twenty six. It's funny how the Cowboys drafted for me in reverse order, Like their first player was my third best player, the second was the second, and then the third was I had. I had a revel as a as a number twelve on my board, so they went in reverse order of how I would have had it.
Speaker 5: Well, again, it just goes to show that just like you said, they're sticking, they stuck to their board, They stuck to the type of homework and due diligence that they had done in preparation to this and went for a guy that, like you said, Brian, I was not expecting a defensive end whatsoever for them to draft in the second round. I was looking at again, wide receiver and those positions they're running back especially, but not a guy like him. But then you start watching him and you're like Okay, yeah, this makes sense. Okay, I see why. Yeah, So I think again, he has that type of physique that the Cowboys like and that will be impactful. And I think you start throwing him into the mix, they're gonna ease him into action. But the combination of a guy like him with everybody else, especially Micah, I think can be very very powerful.
Speaker 2: One of the things that stands out to me.
Speaker 6: You look back at twenty twenty three, I think the Cowboys had, in my opinion, the best, if not one of the best pass rushes in the NFL. They lost Durrance Armstrong, they lost Dante Fowler. Now going into twenty twenty five, they also lose Tank Clarence, They lose Chauncey Golston. They now have Azaraku, Sam Williams will be coming back from injury. Marshawn Neeland, who did some things last year. I don't think it was a bad year for him as a first year player with the injury that he had. You get Dante Fowler back, Do you guys think they are back now from the standpoint of the horses that they had in twenty twenty three? Are they back now from the standpoint of the bodies they need in order to have that kind of effective pass rush. Obviously Michael Parson's being the main stay there.
Speaker 7: If you dress, if you dress the six of the ten for a game, then, like you say, we'll see what happens. I mean, you got a couple of guys with Turner and Niland that are better run defenders, and then you've got four legitimate pass rush guys. They could come at you that way. And so yeah, I I like I like the combination. Uh there was it always you know, was you got to think about, Okay, what are the guys that are going to play left in who's going to play when you know a lot of teams are right handed and when they run the football, are you going to have some people over that? I think they protected themselves, like I say, Neil, And as you mentioned, Derek was getting better as a pass rusher until he got hurt. And then once he got hurt, then you know he had to kind of restart things all over again, missing that time. But him and Turner on that left side, and then now you mix and match the others, you know with with Micah, Yeah, you're back to that level. I really liked what I saw from Fouler last year playing from the Commanders, Yeah, he played well, yeah, it was it was more than that. He double ditch.
Speaker 2: I think he had ten.
Speaker 7: It's ten and a half, so yeah, to me, that's he was actually playing the run pretty well. So that that that right, there is a bonus as well. So if you're going to dress six uh six linemen are six ends every week, two of them could play the adge against the run and then you got the other four that can get after you.
Speaker 8: What'll be different is sometimes Tank Lawrence would find himself on the field just because he's Tank Lawrence, but he wasn't pass rush guy, but seniority would just have him on the field in some kind of way. I don't think the Cowboys are gonna fall for that this year. I think they got pass rushers in their pass rush category and they got to run guys, and if it's a NASCAR type situation, I don't think you're gonna see Tanker on the field. I actually looked up the number. Donovan has sixty pressures. Sixty that's a lot. Yes, it's a ton, and it's not like he's pressure guy and he's not getting sacks. He still has six he and to have sex to account for. So you know, Donovan being a rookie in a pure pass rush role, that'll definitely work for him. Shout out to you, Donovan, day one, you will be ready. But if Sam gives you anything, what's the number? If Sam gives you eight sacks, seven sacks. If Sam gives you give me six, well play sacks, I'm good. I'll celebrate. I'll celebrate Sam being your fourth guy giving you six sacs. So I think they had the opportunity to be better than that crew, but we just have to see all Let's.
Speaker 6: Talk about the third round pick. Cowboys pick up a cornerback, a Savonne Revel out of East Carolina, and he missed most of last year with an injury for those that don't know, but how much do you think that injury is going to affect his ability to be able to play immediately? Because I think for the Cowboys, particularly at the cornerback position, one of the challenges for them is what's going to happen early. You already got Trayvon Diggs coming back from an injury. What do you think is the prospect that he'll be ready to play early in the season when you probably will need that kind of reinforcement.
Speaker 7: This is one of my favorite players in the draft, and if he had not had the knee injury, he would be the top corner likely off the board. His length, his reach is incredible. The thing that got me excited about him as a player is a couple of things. I know doctor Dan Cooper and how what a outstanding surgeon he is, and how he puts these players back together, you know. I mean there's several of them, and there's people in the National Football League other teams that come and see doctor Cooper and let him do the knee searcheres because he's that damn good. You're in a situation too with Britt Brown, and I've worked with Britt for fourteen fifteen years. I know what he could do to get guys back on the field. This guy has a tremendous attitude, He has a tremendous work ethic. He wants he wants it very badly. And you pair him up with a guy like Britt Brown who will push him. And he's been working here in Dallas, you know, on his rehab stuff, and now Britt's going to get a chance to have him out on the field and working with him every day, I would say this thing is probably going to be more sooner than later about him and his ability to come back and be and once again play at a very high level. This guy is long, he's rangy, he's physical. There was a game where you watch him play against Michigan where the ball goes on the goal line and you're thinking it's going to be a touchdown and he steps up at the two yard line, meets the back on the edge and drives the back back into and for no gain. Sometimes these corners just give up, give it the matador, the ola, whatever. This kid's not that way. There's a lot of toughness in his body and he's a very determined player. I think they stole one here, I really really do. And I think that that again, it's about your board. It was where they had him on the board. This was my twelfth best player overall. With the injury. I loved watching this kid play and I said, you listen, I know doctor Cooper. I know he's going to fix this kid, and wherever he goes, he's going to be okay. He just happened to show up in my backyard, and I'm really happy about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is the best value pick that the guy was made in this draft, and a guy like him, I mean I expected something like this more inc with that second round pick, because that's historically what the coup was do in the second round. And then they picked Don't event and I'm like, Okay, made it out of that one. And then we go and draft a guy like him, and I'm like, if I'm being honest, my thing is, yeah, I'm all for a good recovery story. But if I pick you, I want you healthy and ready to play. Now ready to go. But again, everything that you just said, Brian, Obviously, the Cowboys are not just randomly picking guys. They do all the work that they need to do, and especially trusting the doctor that he had the surgery with, they have a good understanding of everything that went on with that injury. And he's expected to be ready, hopefully by training camp or beginning of week one of the season, so it's not like he's expected to be out the whole season. He will be able to at least contribute at some point this year. I would imagine that we get a chance to see him on the field for sure.
Speaker 7: I think sooner than later with him his demeanor and Britt's determination. That is a very good combination right there. We see what Britt was able to do with overshown and others. You know, he's really good at this rehab stuff, and you know he understand you know, Brett knows the importance of that. We're a little down right now here at corner. They got to get this guy ready. There can't be any questions about him being ready for the season. It's got to be. Hey, we got to get him ready for week one to go out there and be ready to play.
Speaker 8: You know, just as a college player, just as a prospect. He's better than what Digs was. He's better than what Bland was. Now it matters when you get to the league, you know, because they know he has not played it down yet, so I don't want to put that on him. But just watching his film versus those those guys, just height weight, coming up and tackling speed like man covers, zone covers, whatever you want to do. He didn't have a lot of picks because he was dropping Brian bro Is. Just watching this film, he'll get close to those picks. We just wouldn't hold on to him. Hey, man, what is coaching for.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, fix up?
Speaker 2: You know we're machines for right, put him on.
Speaker 8: The jugs, Brian. But Revel, I think this is where me and Brian disagree a little bit, because knees are tricky, and he plays corner cornerback's knee those So what I would have wanted if the Cowboys were to double up anywhere, I would have wanted them to draft another corner so that now we could at least go all right, Rebel, if you show up to training camp and you are who you are, good, but just in case you're not, we'll have another guy that we could play, and we can just bring you along at your own pace, and then maybe year two and year three you would be who you are. And one more thing that kind of bothers me about this is I've been waiting for this big three at corner for so long, but guys just keep getting hurt here. We never get the all three corners on the field the same time, even wide receiver. But I think Rebel's gonna be Digs insurance for the walls.
Speaker 7: Well, let me tell you this, I'm more concerned about Diggs than I am Rebel. Yeah, for sure, that's just being honest right there. I mean, that's you know, when you start to talk about how to come back and get back and be ready to go. I have more concerned about Digs than I do the other kid.
Speaker 6: Well, I think from the way they're looking at it, to your point, Vatch, I think they're thinking that Elam is that guy that gives them that kind of insurance in case Rebel isn't ready to go immediately. Whether that proves to be true or not, who knows, but I think that's how they at least will look at it. And as you say, Brian, I know you you're a big fan of Kaylen Carson. There's still of hope that that he's going to develop and that the injury was more of what we saw last year that that maybe that's why he didn't develop in the way they wanted to throughout the year, more so than than him just not developing. So I think they're gonna they have hopes for both of those guys. I know hope is not a strategy, but I think they have hope. I know, but that but that's that's how they're thinking about it, and and so when they look at it, they may say hey, we we got one corner. We'll add him to the mix of the other guys we got and hopefully one of these guys steps into that role at least until Dix can be back. All right, let's talk about Actually, let's take our final break. When we come back. After we take our break, let's talk Texas football. Jayden Blue, We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG O led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is.
Speaker 15: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 3: No one comes close. Lgoled Evo is the best.
Speaker 2: TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 15: See for yourself at LG dot com slash Oldevo.
Speaker 17: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 13: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 2: It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime. Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 4: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Se add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: AT and T Connecting changes.
Speaker 6: Everything Welcome Back, final segment of the Break Life. In that WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, Let's talk. Fifth round, Cowboys select running back Jayden Blew out of Texas Longhorns. What do you guys think? What do you think of the pick? And and where he fits? Immediately, I'll tell you what I think. First of all, he is a guy. I look at him and my my my standard for him because I think some people are like man, he never really started at Texas. The thing about is Texas has so much talent at this point, it's kind of like a Georgia Bama these other things, like you can have a deep room. I think to Shark Choice, who was their coach in college, put out this picture of the bench and you could see it from the back, and they had all five running backs that were at there at the time, all the way up to b John Robinson and they all are now in the NFL. I look at this very similar to what happened with Priest Holmes coming out of Texas. When I was at school, Priest Holmes was there and Preece Holmes was a He was an extra guy. He didn't really do a whole lot of Texas he went undrafted, he went in, and the rest is history with what he did in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: I think Jayden.
Speaker 6: Blue has the kind of skill that makes him an interesting prospect. He's extremely fast. He's actually not what you typically you think of a bass guy. You think he's just out running everybody to the outside. That's not his game. He actually runs up the gut quite a bit. But he's quick with It's not just speed, it's quickness. He knows how to move and maneuver football player with track speed. Yeah, yeah, really is, and so he can do a lot. He can he can catch the ball well out of the backfield. I think all the way around, this is a really really good player that you're able to get in the fifth round. It just speaks to again what all said and what you guys have been saying the whole draft season. This was a very, very very deep running back class. To get somebody of this caliber in the fifth round.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when we had a chance to talk to you know, coach Adams about the you know, I asked him the question, what are you looking for in a running back in this scheme? And the one thing he said was contact balance. This kid right here is one of the best in the nation when it came to contact yards after contact, and you could see him just his ability to break people down in.
Speaker 2: Space where that movie just pounced somebody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, he he was one of the best in the country when it came to He would get hit behind the line of scrimmage and still manage three and a half yards of carry after getting hit. So he has that kind of ability to make people miss. He is outstanding when it comes to his ability to run inside to show toughness. You know, he's not a small guy. He's five ninety's one hundred and ninety six pounds. That's a thick guy. You know, he's he's he's not one of these guys you just have to worry about the wear and tear on him. Is is you know, I don't think that's going to be a problem. The questions that people have always had about him is the ball security. That's the thing, and you wonder is this something that he's going to have to deal with. You know, my own personal experience as a former person pro personnel guy and an advanced scout, if I knew there was a player that you could try and knock the ball out of his hands and attack the ball or tackle the ball, and he was going to give it up. This is something that this kid is going to fight with and he's going to have to prove to people that the ball security is not a problem. And once he does that, then you'll get people to kind of to stay away from that. But his reputation as being a guy that has toughness, but the ball security could be the question.
Speaker 2: That's the one thing that I think kept him.
Speaker 7: Down the board a little bit was the fact that he that would happen to him. And if people are going to try and tackle the ball on him, if they have success, teams are going to continue to try and tackle the ball on him. That film will not go away.
Speaker 8: Also, two Cowboy fans, hear me out, we don't have a wire receiver too. I understand, don't get upset, but we have a Jaden Blue and he will catch a ton of passes. He's not a pass catching running back in a way of I'm gonna run a Texas route, I'm gonna run a swing, that's it.
Speaker 3: He will line up a.
Speaker 8: Slot, he will run cons, he will run posts, he will set linebackers in watch the Clemson game and he will throw head fakes at you, hand fakes at you. He will run all types of routes looking for different mismatches or whatnot. And and I think that's where he's really going to excel. Shouts out the Deuce man. Deuce is gonna have to, you know, fight for his life a little bit because Deuce was a pass catcher, but a little bitty jade.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: Jay Dunn is a little taller, he's a better pass rusher, He's a little thicker than Douce, So, uh, he's gonna have the edge there. But I don't think you're gonna be missing a whole bunch of running back you know. Uh, you know pass attempts with him. I mean, he's gonna be taking it. And then once he catches it, he turns into a four to two guy again and catch real quick.
Speaker 7: Derek, if I could, you know, the whole thing with the second wide receiver, there's clearly yeah, you would love to be able to address that somehow, some way, whether it's a trade, free agent signings, there's there's opportunities. You know, you talk to people in the organization, they'll tell you, hey, we're looking at a lot of wide receivers. I'm very encouraged by that part of it all. But now if you find a way you get Blue involved, you got Lamb, how about Jake Ferguson as well. Can you get a bounce back from Jake Ferguson as well?
Speaker 2: Can you mix in Cavante turn and you mix in Turpin as well.
Speaker 7: So hopefully you'll have ways to distribute the ball and make up for But I do believe they are going to go get a receiver that somehow, some way that you know, and you've also got you know, June one cuts. You know, you want to be able to have to have the ability to have the finances to be able to go if somebody does get cut, that you can go get them and put them, make them part of the roster. I I don't think we're I don't think they're they've they've they're done by any means trying to add weapons to this football team.
Speaker 8: Just that though, like that makes me happy that they're at least aware that wide receiver tool in need. Like if we're not hearing anybody talk about, like there's no reports about them looking at wide receiver too, would I would be befuddled and the Cowboys will do it. They'll look us right behind and be like, hey, me going tober does it step up? And that'll be what simmy, Simmy got a step up, y'all, like like they've been telling you, it happens. So the fact that there are reports saying, hey, the Cowboys are looking into it, chill out, that makes me chill out a little bit.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess you guys described them pretty well.
Speaker 3: I talk about them.
Speaker 5: You're good. But just like you guys said, he's a very versatile guy. And I love the fact that he can catch the ball. But I'm not gonna lie. It does give me a pit in my stomach when I do see some of those highlights where he does lose the ball, Because we've seen that happen here, and I don't think that's something that you can easily correct. It's gonna take some time for him to improve in that area. So that's definitely something to be extremely aware of, and hopefully this coaching staff is able to give him the right training to improve in that, but it will be something that will take a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they fixed it on on the program, so I think they just might need to do some of that, and maybe that when all of y'all's head, do y'all not watch did y'all not watch the program.
Speaker 3: I was born?
Speaker 2: I think I.
Speaker 3: Don't think it was necessarily a fumble alert.
Speaker 8: I just think that he forgets that he needs to keep it hind tight sometimes and when he's trying to extra well, Murray was a fumbler, like he like will be Green Bay or whatever. He'll just he'll know that he's higding. You'll see Demark or Murray have the ball high and tight. And if you're saying he had the technique, he just he just fumbled and it could but the.
Speaker 5: Result is the same. The ball is on the ground either way.
Speaker 8: But I guess that's but what I'm saying, Like jay Nun has the ball down here, and when he does his you know, flipping and running things, you know, it kind of loosens up a little bit. I think you can beat ball like high and tight into him, like being.
Speaker 2: High technique basically.
Speaker 3: And it could have been his big old muscles.
Speaker 8: I don't know what was making him fumbling football, but Murray could not stop putting the ball on the ground.
Speaker 3: It was not dead as as fault.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will tell you this, and I'm just being fair as a cow, as a Texas Texas fan who watched all those games, there was a point in the season where you were kind of like every time he got the ball, you were like, because you were like, good things could happen, bad things could happen, right, It just so, it was. It was a problem.
Speaker 7: It certainly was if they had a rotation of some outstanding backs. Wonder like late in the season, did the coaching staff there determined that, Listen, we as much as we love throwing him the ball and handing him the ball, is there that that thread of him maybe putting the ball on the ground. Derek, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember the Washington game in the playoffs? Was that a? It was a fumble one?
Speaker 6: I know, yeah there was a big, big game where he had a big fun but I can't remember Washington.
Speaker 7: YEA, so to me that I think it was. But yeah, that's that to me is the only thing wrong with this player. I agree that you watch him with when he can make you, he could punish you, and I mean punish you in the way of making you miss and making huge plays. This guy's a finisher. I mean, you hand him the ball, he could score from anywhere on the field. He's got that kind of speed.
Speaker 6: Yep, yep, all right, we only have a couple more minutes here, so real quick. I wanted to get you guys thought on fifth round pick linebacker Shamar James out of Florida or your thoughts on him and what can he contribute to What I think is again another position that has, because of what they did in free agency, become pretty deep. I don't know if they have a lot of great players, but I think they got a lot of good players.
Speaker 2: What does he fit?
Speaker 8: I wasn't the biggest fan of him. You know, when I'm watching linebackers, I like to see you know, running, hitting, and like processing. I don't want to see you lost out there, and James got lost a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: I don't think he'll fit you as a Mike linebacker type guy. But I gotta go back and watch and see how the Cowboys look at him, because they look at him as a will pass rushing guy. So what I need to do is go to the film and just ignore all the you know, this linebacker thing, this linebacker thing, and just think about him as a pass rushing will linebacker guy, and maybe that's why they like him so much, But just me watching him, he gets lost a bunch. If it's any any kind of misdirection motion, he's lost. He's gone and he and he's guessing. And I don't want to see guys guessing because if you guessing gamble, then.
Speaker 3: You're all the way wrong.
Speaker 8: But he's a He's sometimes the most athletic looking player on that defense, and he didn't test that way, but just watching him run around, you can see the burst and athleticism on him. So I'm gonna go back and watch him with cowboy eyes. But just me watching him initially and trading up for him, I didn't see a person.
Speaker 6: Can I ask real quick before before we move on, please, when you say that, do you think that part of it goes back to what you're talking about with fumbling. If you're saying that, he looks lost a lot, especially when you're in motion that kind of thing. He's got something that being in the NFL and being around professionals and the right kind of coaching can get him right in that way, because it is something you just have to learn.
Speaker 3: Though he has a lot of jobs that he will. He will get there you go.
Speaker 8: But if he's at will and you go, your only is first back out. Yeah, whatever, the first back out is, that's your job. If you narrow his job down, he's athletic enough to be decent.
Speaker 7: Way there we go.
Speaker 2: Will linebacker.
Speaker 7: Let him be straight lined rush guy, because that's something he could absolutely do. His instincts, as Vosh says, are not always great. I don't these coaches talk about putting players, were about pen and poll. We don't got pen and poll lineman. We're not gonna pin and pull. So make this kid a will linebacker. Let him run to the ball, let him use this explosiveness, let him use his straight line speed. Don't put him a lot of coverage situations, but figure out ways to kind of use play to his strengths. Initially, I think that's what you have to do. But the instincts were a little bit of a problem with him. When you watch this tape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the one position that you absolutely need to have really great instinct is linebacker for sure. And he's a guy that at least I think the Cowboys did address a need like linebacker. We know that the Cowboys are dealing with the injuries there and the Marvio and Ovashaw not being there. So I think he does add the depth. He's not going to be a guy that I would expect to make any immediate impact, but you look at special teams and that's an area that he can definitely contribute at. But I do think this is more of a big of addressing a need rather than the guy that they mostly want.
Speaker 7: We've seen my guy, Damone Clark, and we all kind of think Damone Clark, Katy is a good looking player, why does he make more plays? He lacks instincts when you don't find the ball. And we've had some of the best to ever find the ball here. Sean Lee's that win. We've had some guys here they can find extra Cokeley, find the ball, get there, make plays, you know, but we've also seen Damone Clark, and Damone Clark, as good looking as he is, when you don't find the ball well and you get lost that way, then that's a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 2: All right, you guys join us.
Speaker 5: You see what I mean. At the started the.
Speaker 3: Show, Tommy is strong.
Speaker 15: J J.
Speaker 3: Toya is changing.
Speaker 2: The way we don't get on the way for free. We got next week. We got guys, ask him if he's inviting you back next week.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe, maybe, But we got I think we got like six or seven shows left before we get the training camp.
Speaker 2: So so we're gonna hold some of this content. We'll be back next week. Make sure we got someone talking about Texas player for thirty minutes. Yeah, I mean, god what.
Speaker 6: We will open the next show talking about Jayden Blue hook them you guys join us for a bout to some body.
Speaker 2: Brian. Brian brought us ambergar seat. I'm Derek you.
Speaker 6: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club