Speaker 1: I am all in Again.
Speaker 2: I am All in Again with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Joined by the hunts Burgers. Hello Greg, Hello Leanne hell st. It is just so good to see the two of you, and what a reaction you had up there on stage. What did you think of this whole thing?
Speaker 3: I was saying to Greg, I was just gobsmacked when we walked out there and there are without many people out there. I was stunned. And I know that you had said on the podcast a couple of weeks ago there would be five thousand people, and I was like, yeah, right, yeah, no, I mean this is amazing. The the the love they have for this show. Oh, it's just extraordinary and wonderful and fun to be a part of. And I'm grateful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Greg, you've done this, you did this last year, you did this, You've done You've done a couple of rounds with us.
Speaker 2: How's this in your eyes? How has it grown?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it bigger exponentially?
Speaker 4: I mean it's yeah, it's it's it's much bigger than than it was. And I can't remember if it was one year or two years ago that I did it, but uh, but it's and it the whole town sort of you know, all decorated up and people sort of enjoying different parts of the the town of Stars Hollow. It's uh, it's really inventive and fun and uh and a sort of theater piece that everybody's a part of.
Speaker 1: You know. I wanted to thank David Finch for putting this all together. He's the guy with all the great ideas for all the shops and how they're situated and what kind of merch to put in, and he's in the tours division, and Danny Kahn as well. They did a remarkable job. Told me to buckle my seat belts when I when I got here, before I got here yesterday, because you're going to be shocked.
Speaker 2: And I didn't think they could.
Speaker 1: Outdo themselves, but they outdid themselves. And my gosh, right down to every little detail of you know, the the the uh work of the late girl working in the dragonflane, greeting people that check in and being an actress, a very accomplished actress and sort of acting out everything and as fans come in and and they have all of these sort of sort of cause players of the characters and all over the town, so it's just a wonderful experience.
Speaker 2: A fortune teller and a.
Speaker 3: Fortune and she was all glammed up.
Speaker 1: I loved it right right. They even had when Lindsey threw Dean out of the house forget to chummy with uh Rory again and threw all his clothes out of the second floor, second story, and those clothes are hanging down. There's a there's a hanging down from the from the balcony. They have Luke's uh they've they've taken Luke's boat and all of his fishing gear and all of his other gear that he's had stored in the in the garage, and it's outside of the garage now, so fans can go by and kind of kind of rifle through it, you know, they can sort of go to touch it. And yeah, and it's just it's like a living museum of the show.
Speaker 2: Did either of.
Speaker 1: You, suspect and I know you've both had long, distinguished careers. Did and you've worked with some great directors and some great writers. Did you did you recognize this show when you originally started working on the show as something that had a chance to become something like this, or it's just one of the here's a better question. Why do you think it's such a cultural phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Well, just from my perspective, because I do think it starts with the writing, and I do think that, you know, I'm a big fan of having like several storylines going together, tying together as they go through and the thread that you follow all the way to the end of the season or whatever it is. And so for me, I appreciate picking up what's happening over here because I come from a soap opera world part of the time too, so you know, we're used to having storylines that play out over a longer time. And I just think that because the writing is so tight and because you have to be so on your toes, it really gives you an appreciation for being an actor and some of the training that we probably had in the beginning, so that we can utilize the skills that we learned back in the day. And it's for me, it's just been a lovely experience because, like I said, I had no idea the extent of the fandom and how much everybody does appreciate it. It's really been love I.
Speaker 1: Think you make a great point. It's very challenging for any writer, any writing team, to weave in multiple storylines and to keep an audience engaged at the level that the Pallatinos do in that crack writing stuff. Believing, I mean is it is one of the joys. And it doesn't even have to be. It's not my kind of television. I never watched it. It just was like, didn't interest me. But when I got when I started doing the podcast watching the episodes, this is extraordinary, yeah, storytelling, and I was hooked right away.
Speaker 2: I was just riveted by it.
Speaker 3: And I had to go back and watch some of it again too, and I have to say I got caught. And now it's on every night at ten and eleven. I watch a couple episodes before I go to bed, and it's a lovely thing to go to bed on instead of something with murder in it or something that I usually watch, some crime drama. But this is a lovely way to go to sleep. I don't have nightmares. It's like there's faith in humanity, kind of an idea when you away campaign.
Speaker 1: There is a medicinal and therapeutic quality to these episodes, isn't there? Yes, Yes, I think I think it is highly addictive in that regard where nothing can really go wrong and if it does, it's gonna mend itself in some way. Greg, what have you been doing since in the last couple of years. I know you work with the Sean Gunn's brother from time to time in some of those big Marvel movies.
Speaker 2: Tell us about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I worked with James uh uh since Slither, which was his sort of first directing gig, and I did Super as well, and then I did The Guardians. And it's just a great joy to have him call up, you know, no matter what it is, even if it's a grand father, Yes, you know, it's it's it's a great joy to be a part of his his wild, wonderful imagination.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he's another guy, you know, he's another writer that weaves in multiple storylines so beautiful. Yeah, and he just keeps you engaged the whole time. And he uses humor very well, extremely well, very funny, very funny. Yeah, you know, that's life, because if it's if it's morose and too serious, it's not reflecting life. And if it is reflecting life, it's not really a life. I want to watch, you know what. I'm saying James has that gift as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's.
Speaker 4: And he's just prolific. He just turns it out. And the same can be said for.
Speaker 2: Amy, Amy and Dan.
Speaker 4: I mean they really you know, they really churn it out and and and the writing is always, uh, it's always a cut above. It's you know, it's it's talent. It's a very special, special brand of talent.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is. You think it's something that I mean, I know he grew up he was obsessed with the comic books, and that genre obviously influenced his writing. I think it informed his directing. I think he thinks like a directory, thinks like a comic book artist, you know, I mean, he maps it out and plans it out like it's a comic book. Yeah, that's why it's so impactful and so entertaining. I'm mixed with all that humor and this this the brilliant structure that he brings to bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a huge fan. From the time he was a kid, a huge comic book fan, sort of created his own comic books. He wrote his own novel before he even wrote screenplays. And for you know, he's like uh uh uh, he was funny. I teased him. He's he lives in Aspen and now has as ass and Aspen and uh and uh we were up there, uh when he got married and his uh and his family was there and I'm saying I run into him in the morning out by in front of the hotel and I'm like, ah, yeah, this is great. You're up here in the great outdoors. James must be Levy and they're like, yeah, he's inside writing.
Speaker 1: Just like you know.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's no accident that he he rose to the heights that he has wrisen. It's not an accent. He's been doing it as whole. And I think Amy and Dan are like that as well. I think, you know, Amy grew up in that culture of you know, her dad is you know, was Alan Sherman. He was a nightclub comic and he was on the comedy tour and all her household was filled with the top comedians.
Speaker 2: Of the day. They were all friends.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you know, it's inevitable these these types of people in these careers, when they apply is a discipline to their there's obvious talent and skills.
Speaker 2: It's it's inevitable.
Speaker 1: It's just inevitable and you get these high quality products. Uh, you've been very lucky. You've worked been We've worked with two of the best, the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as lucky as can be.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know, And you might argue with this, I don't know, but it's like there there's like a style to her writing. It's like it's got a rhythm, it's got a it's got a musicality to it. And and people that are in the writer's room, you know, they can imitated. But you know, the last season or or so, when she wasn't on it, I was like, I don't know, is it cinnamon, what's it missing? It's it's it's it's you know, it just wasn't quite the same. You know.
Speaker 1: That's a tall order.
Speaker 4: That's a tall orders and that's just a special sauce that they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, the fans have been delighted to see you guys and to get to talk to you, and it's been a pleasure of mine, Uh to talk to you Leanne year and please keep coming back and Greg your perennial, keep coming back.
Speaker 2: As as we do this.
Speaker 1: Great catching up with you guys and all the best. Everybody thanks for the downloads and remember where.
Speaker 2: You lead, we will follow. Stay safe, everyone, Hey everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.