Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Wednesday, July second, and Sean Diddy Combs is not going home after all, at least not yet, after what was a wild, at times bizarre, at times emotional, at times surprising, at times explosive final day of the Diddy trial. Bottom line, did he one? Welcome everybody to this Diddy update episode of Amy and TJ Ropes. I cannot believe we are here. The trial is over mixed verdict, but it's clear who won this thing.
Speaker 2: Well, you said did he one? But I would say he partially WONO.
Speaker 3: I gotta hear this because yes, yes, he obviously evaded the most punitive and the harshest counts against him, and so he avoided life in prison. So yes, for that alone. Of course, his freedom is coming. But a lot of folks thought, and including you, thought that he might actually be on his private plane tonight, flying back to Miami or wherever he wanted to go, with.
Speaker 2: A few conditions attached to that bail.
Speaker 3: But he was denied bail, and right now his sentencing hearing this could be moved up a little bit, but right now it is scheduled for the fall October third, so he's still behind bars.
Speaker 1: He lost his bail hearing. He won his trial today, he won flat out. I would love to see any lawyer, any analyst get on TV and try to spin this any other way than total humiliation for the government, a total loss by the government, and some will tell you a total waste of time by the government in overcharging this man. They can have that argument down the road. But he racketeering, not guilty. That was life in prison, the two counts that came with minimum fifteen years. Not guilty sex trafficking. He has now been found guilty of being a john. He has been found guilty of paying for a prostitute, and he could possibly get two years in jail or less.
Speaker 2: That is correct. Absolutely, you are correct.
Speaker 3: However, the reason why he was denied bail because a lot in to your point.
Speaker 2: He was convicted of being a john.
Speaker 3: That would not normally be a conviction in which somebody would be held or denied bail until a sentencing hearing happened. But because of the domestic violence that he clearly admitted to that the defense absolutely capt to, because the judge said that he has a propensity for violence behind closed doors, and there were two victim or at least witness statements to the judge asking to keep him behind bars until his sentencing. That is why he is still behind bars tonight and until his sentencing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cassif interrefined as part of the reason he is still behind bars tonight. She is one of the folks who sent a letter to the judge making a case for why he should be denied bail. He should not be released while awaiting awaiting sentencing. So, if we go back, it started this morning. You got the no news. I know everybody got the alerts, but this was around eleven o'clock eleven this morning. The jury sends a note we have a verdict. The jury eventually comes in, the verdicts get read. We knew four were already settled. We knew racketeering was the problem. But lo and behold rope. Sure enough, they must have figured it out. We were told people were unpersuadable.
Speaker 3: You know what, isn't that so interesting? Because yes, we were conjecturing last night. We're like, is he guilty on some of the charges, and they're trying to figure out racketeering? Is he guilty on all of the charges. We figured there had to be some guilty verdicts in there. We just weren't sure which was which. That made the most sense for them to be confused about racketeering. But it is remarkable that they could go from actually just initially deliberating for sixty minute, an hour, seventy minutes saying this one juror will not budge, they will not move, and then after the second day saying we can't come up with a unanimous decision.
Speaker 2: The deliberation has stopped. People are unmovable.
Speaker 3: And yet somehow when you ask a juri to go back and to keep trying, they do.
Speaker 2: And wow, I was impressed that that quickly.
Speaker 3: They all reached unanimous verdicts on all five clouds.
Speaker 1: So they were movable. Somebody was movable, exactly the word they they were ready to They actually told the judge the day before. It was pointless. They didn't even need to keep deliberating because nobody's going to change their mind on.
Speaker 3: To night's sleep changes a lot of folks minds and disposition sometimes, right, So.
Speaker 1: We get that word so here it is so the reaction, at least the reaction we were. Yes, we were able to read through some of the notes from people who were in the room describing what happened. But this might have been the most valuable courtroom artist sketch I have seen for the whole trial.
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: It showed Ditty on his knees in praying position, and that was pretty remark well. That was the emotion that he was experiencing as he was awaiting these verdicts coming down. I mean, I just so many of us tried to imagine what it would have been like for him, for his family members, knowing that verdicts were in, that they hadn't been announced, that they were waiting on this final, most important, most serious charge, and when the news came in that they had unanimous decisions, he fell to his knees in prayer.
Speaker 2: That was a very powerful sketch.
Speaker 1: And applause in the courtroom from his family, and you better believe those cheers erupted. And it makes sense that they would look every judge, and I know you've been in plenty of court rooms. I think I would say fifty to fifty and seeing whether or not the folks in the courtroom obeyed the judge when he says, now, when the verdict is read, I do not want any reactions from either side, and sure enough it gets blown out of the water. It's never the case. But yeah, you can imagine the eruption of emotion because they knew when they heard it what they were hearing, and they knew that did he had won won that trial. Absolutely, he lost his bail hearing. Again, Look, there was a high bar. Remember he put up his fifty million dollar house, twenty four hour security, all these things he offered, and the judge wouldn't let him be out on bail awaiting trial. During the trial, so this judge is essentially saying, you know, you haven't proven that you're any less of a flight risk.
Speaker 2: Nothing changed.
Speaker 3: And he also said even when did he knew he was under investigation, that there was still that admission of domestic violence while he was waiting to see if he was going to be arrested in charge, but he knew he was being investigated. And he pointed out to the point of the fact that Jane even testified to this and did he did not deny physically assaulting her.
Speaker 2: While he knew he was being investigated.
Speaker 3: So that was part of the reason why the judge said, no, your bail is denied. But even his mother, his sister, his eldest daughter, actually put up a million dollars bond.
Speaker 2: They signed it.
Speaker 3: They said he would only travel to four states Florida, California, New Jersey, and New York. They said he would surrender his passport. They really did everything they could to try and compel the judge to allow him to await sentencing at home until he was then sentenced.
Speaker 2: And the sentencing.
Speaker 3: Actually came down quite a bit because we heard initially from Komy from the prosecution saying they were going to ask for twenty years. That changed pretty quickly, which is interesting throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you probably went and opened up that legal book and saw what they were looking at and saw what the guidelines were. And so I don't have the months and you haven't had it frown yet, but they have the And the judge said this, like the defense prosecution, y'all are so far off yea on what y'all want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they wanted twenty years. Then they amended it to this.
Speaker 3: The prosecution is asking for fifty one to sixty three months in terms of sentencing, so that's anywhere from.
Speaker 2: Four to five years roughly.
Speaker 3: The defense is asking for twenty one to twenty seven months, so just shot, Yeah, just shy of two years to two years in three months.
Speaker 1: So if you take do the twenty one months, say they want to send him to twenty one months, you know what that is? One year time served is nine months. It counts against the sentence. He's already served nine months in.
Speaker 2: Rail, so that's another year behind bars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all they would be. Let's say he got twenty one months, nine months of that is time served? Did he is gonna go away for one year and be back after all this? Possibly not. We don't know what the judge you're gonna do, but it's just it is fascinating to see what the possibilities now are. I guess we should explain to folks what was going on with us today. We actually live very close by to where the trial takes place. We've talked about this plenty. If you listen to any of our podcasts, you know this. So we live, what are we a few blocks away from where the trial is happening. We've been following this thing closely every single day, doing at least one ditty update, sometimes doing two. I mean because it's warned it and sure enough the verdict comes down. You know where we were.
Speaker 2: At JFK and.
Speaker 1: Then thirty thousand feet in the air with no Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so this we have actually a family vacation with all of our daughters that has been planned for months, months before.
Speaker 2: We even knew that the Ditty trial was going to be what it was.
Speaker 3: That we'd be covering it and the way we were, and Murphy's Law would have it so that the very day this trial we've been following so closely, where all of the decisions are made, the verdicts come down, the bail is either granted or denied. We are stuck without any service, without any Wi Fi and no oh wait, so we were the last people to know actually what.
Speaker 1: Probably were We were probably the last certainly the sentencing. I was losing it as we were laying and nobody was getting Wi Fi. I was snatching your phone. I was snatching Sabine's phone. Somebody, does anybody get this to work? But it's just how it happens. But I rose, I say, we live a couple blocks away. We probably would have walked over today. But seeing this is something we haven't talked about, is the what's described is pretty wild scene outside the courthouse today, wild involving arguments evolving yelling and screaming and baby oil in all kinds of food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hear.
Speaker 3: About baby oil being like thrown at different people and squirted, and given all of the testimony that we heard, you could think maybe it was in jest.
Speaker 2: Or I don't want to say it was playful, but you could think maybe it.
Speaker 3: Was just people expressing themselves and using certain props that were pertinent to the trial. But no, this was described as mean spirited, as anger, as volatile, as not. Honestly, I say, we probably would have gone down there and just observed, but it didn't sound like a scene anyone wanted to be near. In fact, we actually on our way to the airport, we were driving what was it six point thirty in the morning, It was already a zoo out there. All the media attempts were packed, all of the influencers and YouTubers and all the folks who have come on to describe and be kind of novice journalists.
Speaker 2: They're just describing the thing. We had all just swarmed that area.
Speaker 3: It was fascinating to see as we were driving through it, and then to see what it's turned into. This afternoon, given the verdict and given the sentencing is wild, and what.
Speaker 1: Will they do now? I am sure as we speak it's possible juror interviews have already been secured, but they're coming, and folks are chasing those folks down. The judge did encourage the jury today before he let them go. You can do an interview if you want to. You're certainly not obligated. You can say no to all of them. But he encouraged them to not talk about the deliberations. What happens in that juror room should stay there. He reminded them of that.
Speaker 2: Is that in part because obviously there were.
Speaker 3: Juror issues throughout this trial, not as significant as we've seen in other trials, but certainly there were juror issues.
Speaker 2: And that is.
Speaker 3: Always possibly a way for the defense to ask for an appeal based on certain things that may or may not have gone on during those deliberations. If jurors are talking about it, that could also lend itself to create certain issues within either party, but the defense specifically to ask for an appeal. And now, granted you said that he won, but he still was convicted of two charges, and if those two charges.
Speaker 2: Went away, he wouldn't have to spend any time at prison.
Speaker 1: Are you still pushing back on the notion that Sean did he Combs won today?
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, this was almost best case scenario.
Speaker 3: Obviously, an acquittal on all charges would have been a full victory.
Speaker 1: Goodness, I have no if he got convicted on just one of the accounts of prostitution, for transportation for prostitution, maybe that was there is nothing. This is unbelievable. This is a massive Yes, it's a massive victory for this man.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is. And look the overcharging what needs to happen, look like I guess they think they're doing what's best. I guess they think they're putting a monster in prison for the rest of his life, a mobster, the CEO of a criminal enterprise. You have to think they had they were doing this in good faith. You want to think that. But we've been talking about this Ropes for the past few weeks. Our conversations have been about this thing, like, Wow, really, this is what the case spoils down to. And if I had to sit on that jury saying I gotta send a man a jail for the rest of his life, for being a criminal enterprise CEO.
Speaker 3: Well, the puzzling thing is if you're a juror, or if you're just a spectator like us and you're just watching this from afar, if you know he committed crimes that are irrefutably evidenced and he's even admitting them, but you choose not to charge him with those crimes because you try to go after some bigger fish, You try to create some larger, bigger, trumped up charge. That's where you lose the confidence of people, of jurors, of humans who are witnessing this. I think everyone can say he did not treat women well, he was abusive, he did commit criminal acts, charge him with those. Why then try to go make some bigger case to put him behind bars for the rest of his life when clearly he could have been charged and convicted and he even says he would have admitted and please he did guilty to the charges that he did, I mean the crimes that he did commit. And I think that's an issue that a lot of folks are going to talk about, and it's already being talked about among legal experts that the prosecution overreached and this blew back in their faces because of it.
Speaker 1: He's an abuser that they tried to convince us was a racketeer and it just didn't make sense to us intellectually and legally. But it just that's tough, and that's a very tough day for the prosecution to go through all this. Who knows how many millions this costs those raids. That's a lot of police time and investigation time and trial for this. And look, this is difficult because we've seen him behave badly. People want him to be in prison for what he did, but they actually don't want him to go to prison for racketeering and sex trafficking and all this. It's a bizarre thing that you look get this result and it's a win and a loss no matter who you are.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, obviously there are plenty of victims advocacy groups stepping up and speaking out and saying this has done such a disservice to victims around the world who are sex trafficked, who are abused, whatever. So in a weird way, yes, I hear what you're saying. The Diddy won, but so many people lost, and I do think a lot.
Speaker 2: Of it is because the prosecution overreached.
Speaker 1: You know what, who And again when you say lost, is do they turn that anger to ditty or where should it be directed? We're not going after him for the right thing for why'd you overcharge him here? I don't who knows about that? But here's my wild card now for you Trump, Trump, with Trump now not mined at all. Pardoning a guy who's found guilty of hiring a.
Speaker 2: Prostitute, I don't know, it's a worthy question.
Speaker 1: That's a much different pardon. Trump would love to be in the middle of the story right now.
Speaker 2: Who knows it? Could?
Speaker 3: You know, with everything that's happened in this case, it would not surprise me if Trump jumped into the mix of all of this. But you know what, as much as we've been covering this, and yes, technically the trial is over, the verdicts have been handed down, but we're still awaiting sentencing that he is still behind bars, and who knows how quickly the defense can expedite the sentencing because they said that they obviously would, and it's the judge said he's open to hearing that inquiry by the defense to get this sentencing over with so that he can continue. He's obviously serving his time regardless, so he's getting credit for time served. But yeah, a year from now, A year from now, did he could be a free man again.
Speaker 1: We await the sentencing hearing. I had one more thing. I guess we'll go ahead, right, well, the jurors.
Speaker 2: The jurors are the other thing.
Speaker 3: Like I think, the second we start hearing from jurors, we'll jump back on this because I actually, personally, on a human level, cannot wait to hear who is willing to talk and what they're willing to tell us about their feelings about what they heard, what they witnessed, what they thought, And I.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait to hear what they have to say.
Speaker 3: And of course, once we get any of that kind of information, we will absolutely jump back on and give you the latest on that.
Speaker 1: I remember, I thought it was about the justice system. Okay, just took another hit. Every time Right Biden said it, Mayor Adam said it. Trump always says it that the justice system is unfair, It unfairly goes after people that they were being right persecuted by the Justices Apartment. It's being used against them, and all these things and these high profile folks. Joe Biden partned his son, right talking about the justice system all these things. So now when we see this the government just went after this guy, the jury, the public said, no, that's not okay, that's a hit for the justice system. That's a hit now to where everybody can say, well, those charges are false. You can't believe now in so many instances, well yeah, well, and government said it must be true.
Speaker 3: And by the way, obviously yes did. He is a black man. But he is a wealthy, wealthy, wealthy black man who can hire the best attorneys there are in this or at least in this country to defend him. And how many people don't have that, how many people don't have that sort of resource.
Speaker 1: To that point, it just sucks. It's another hit for the justice system. He is one of the he's a unicorn. He is one of the most successful black men we've ever seen exist in this country. He just and we witness his rise. He hired institutes and you're a federal case out of it. That again, it will sit with the public a certain way that you're still coming after us, no matter how low on the totem pole or how high you're coming after us. Unfairly, the Justice Department, yes, lost today that's all I got.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we will continue to follow any developments that come out of this case.
Speaker 2: Again, yes, when we start hearing from jurors, we will.
Speaker 3: Jump back on. But in the meantime, y'all thank you for listening to us. We hope you have a wonderful day today, and yeah, just digest everything that happened in Lower Manhattan today.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy robot on behalf of my partner T. J.
Speaker 2: Holmes.
Speaker 4: Have a great Wednesday, everybody,