Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheartradiots Show.
Speaker 2: Yah and Katie.
Speaker 1: Sell me.
Speaker 3: We have been waiting, We have everyone's been waiting, The Gladiator's been waiting, the listeners have been waiting. Garmon and I have been waiting. Okay, we are in the midst of season three, but I knew that it was going to be for this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, We've been saving it for this, like this is saving it for this episode.
Speaker 3: There's no rampump, there's no prep needed because there is only one singular artist, actress, human being, animal saving vegan, beautiful Yes, booking and best kisses, best person on the inside and outside in that entire planet, the one and only Bellam you Yes, or our first Lady and President of the United States, Melly.
Speaker 1: Graham Yeah or Smelly Melly is I like to call it.
Speaker 2: I still have a tank top that some wonderful gladiator made me that has all the iterations of melee on it.
Speaker 1: I love that, I love that, love it.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell all the gladiators listening, We're gonna just fill you guys in real quick. We're talking about episode three oh seven, which is called Everything's Coming Up, Mel Melly. It aired on November fourteenth in twenty thirteen, so that is eleven years ago. Written by Peter Noak, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, and it was directed by Michael Cattleman.
Speaker 3: Peter no Walk created.
Speaker 1: How to Get Away with Murder.
Speaker 3: Yes, Storry Barry Bostwick is Jerry Graham, oh lot an asshole.
Speaker 1: And also yeah, and also I wanted to say Laurence Stamel Stamile and she plays Carla, who's so amazing in this episode. And also Candy Alexander is introduced in this episode.
Speaker 4: That's the laptop situation. She turns around and you're just like, yo, yeah.
Speaker 3: She's unbelievable. And she doesn't even I think she says like a word or two and she is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of words. She is the jam.
Speaker 3: The synopsis in Scandalpace is Melly is still trying to recover from the public backlash of the last year, so she decides to do a hard hitting news interview. Meanwhile, as Cyrus continues to plot against Sally Langston, we learned how fits Melly and Cyrus became a team.
Speaker 1: Back at Opia. Huck continues to push Quinn way, but Quinn's bloodlust could get her into some dangerous situations. Many truths are revealed in a fifteen year flashback. The flashbacks in this episode are epic. Just the facial hair and wigs alone deserve a shout out.
Speaker 2: Let us begin there because saw Jeff Berry as Derek.
Speaker 1: Jack, I thought I was, let me tell you, as as a character that had a beard glued on my face. Often for homeless huck or hagrid huck is something that shit is not fun. At least his was shorter, but mine was. I remember thinking, oh, damn, I'm in homeless Hucks. So I can't eat because you can't eat because all the hair gets in your mouth when you're eating.
Speaker 3: Is this the worst?
Speaker 1: It's terrible, terrible.
Speaker 4: Ton cryer, shout out to cry.
Speaker 2: We have worked on my flashback leg so hard and we were both so excited for this flashback, and I was like, Mellie's gonna be ten and she's gonna have a bub and she lives in California, California, And we were overdoing the scene when Cyrus is leaving and he's that, man, is your job right?
Speaker 1: I forget it?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, come back, tomorrow he'll be ready to work. And but we're shooting that scene and I'm not sure Cattleman had directed us before.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't being nervous.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't know him and they were sending he turned out great, Michael Cattleman, where were you are? I didn't know they were sending footage over so Tom Verica could have eyeballs on it as we were going along, and they decided to do the flashbacks and like a blue filter so it was different from present day. So we're outside in that driveway of that house over not far from the studio, and it's hot, and so all the tape that's holding all of Jeff Perry's not on, but also his face back because they've got those frownies on him.
Speaker 4: When I ever saw those, are those.
Speaker 3: Of you guys listening? Not only did he like that? Don't know? It means they take these like strings with tape and they basically give you a face, your excess neck skin and your cheek skin so that it like makes you go through like a wind tunnel to make you look younger.
Speaker 2: I don't have to have surgery, but for the ten hours you're going to be filming, you look younger people.
Speaker 4: You should look into them.
Speaker 2: Everybody better or you cut yourself. Just give yourself a little try it out.
Speaker 4: Drive it stop there.
Speaker 2: And things keep pop popping. We have to stop, and then gluing back down and gluing back down. I see Tom Berer, I see a car come up like it's a cop show, and he pulls in and like parks and falls out of the car and like leaves the door open.
Speaker 4: Comes on set and I think it's not that bad. Don't make Jeff feel bad and goes inside and we all stop and we're like, what should we are we? Honey, he's watched the video and I have tanned myself to a point under a blue filter at which I look like and I have the same skin.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, de remedy.
Speaker 2: The fact that they need to differentiate between me and Carer.
Speaker 1: Shut the hell up. I am wait, And had you had already shot a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 4: We had the first third of the day.
Speaker 2: They were like, stop, we need to adjust the lighting. Are we going to keep the blue filter?
Speaker 4: What are we gonna do? Can we take her makeup down?
Speaker 2: Ducks?
Speaker 1: See he didn't like it either.
Speaker 3: I love the idea behind it. And it looked whatever everybody did, whether they adjusted the lighting or took down the tan for the California beach. Babe, you look exquisite, not rely that, but so much of your acting. And we always have a carry Washington School of Acting moment in this show, which definitely goes to Melle. Oh my god, like yes, but my I just like between the flashback makeup and also like Melle not being the Melly we know yet you're doing all these scenes where you're not as good at giving a speech or you're not as sure of yourself, You're not as.
Speaker 2: Amazing like twelve times my amazing husband, and you're just amazing to be here and we're gonna be an amazing team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Melo version of Melly was so much closer to you, right, obviously.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Does everyone listening Gladiators know that Melly was not going to be Melly? Like you tell us how you book this job and like it wasn't supposed to it was because you made such an impression.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that. So here's okay.
Speaker 2: Oh the backstory being wonderful Linda Lowie that now everybody can love and appreciate because you guys spent such a.
Speaker 4: Wonderful hour with her. You guys, I love that episode.
Speaker 1: So's she's the best.
Speaker 3: She saved all of our lives, our lives, so many lives.
Speaker 2: I'd just gone into audition for her for five hundred different things and not booked four hundred and ninety nine of them. I like she said on like when she was talking to you know, I don't know why you're in the room. Do your best work, leave your heart in the room and going about your life. Everything is in higher hands. So I've done that a lot, so I'll had all that taste of rejection. And I never really got to do Grays because I did the private practice that was embedded in Grays, the like embryonic private practice. So I was in that part and that's the only Shondaland job I had. But they, you guys, were filming the pilot the next day. They needed someone to stand beside Fitzgerald Grant and wave a little and be the wife and Linda fucking Lowe, may we all bow down, called five of us in same five that have been there every other time. When you're like side eyeing each other and trying to but like thinking about Wow, she's We had two lines and one of them was live like it was a whole line, but they were all in there.
Speaker 4: I tried to think Tony. It just directed me in a dirty, sexy money.
Speaker 2: And so I went out to get the audition at five o'clock.
Speaker 4: You had to be there the next morning.
Speaker 2: But I went out the night before and bought some clothes I thought would be appropriate, which I know, I hate to shop more than I hate to go to the dentist.
Speaker 4: But I have pearl ear rings. Little store. Bought pearl earrings and a blue.
Speaker 3: First Not everyone's got first lady like a tire. I definitely don't.
Speaker 2: So I was just thinking, because there wasn't a lot of texts, I was like, who's the person standing next to Tony Cold? That's what I was trying to That's how I approached it. And I got that going and put my hair up when I set my two lines, and they gave me some adjustment and I said them again, and was it for Shanda, Anna and Betsy were in there.
Speaker 1: We're all in there.
Speaker 2: Huh yep, everybody's in that little tiny room and then you leave and the but then they called, and then I got the part I got the part.
Speaker 3: But didn't she tell you they there was like gonna be like three episodes, and like a hurt.
Speaker 2: I said my two lines and was nobody talked to me at the pilot.
Speaker 4: That I was just like glad to be there. I was literally just glad to be there.
Speaker 2: They did some step faking stepping off air Force one or I don't know what, were just like fake and Griffin.
Speaker 3: You were like coming out of the airplane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then it was over and nobody says, booty you when you're a guest actor. And got picked up and I can't invite it to the table read for this episode, and I was like, oh, yeah, there comes and I like wore my best dress and I got all southerned up and showed up and was just.
Speaker 1: I remember I remember that day. I remember you at the table read. Oh, and I remember you being so sweet and so kind, and I remember thinking, no, Shade, I was like, why is friendly and kind and happy? She's just got a tiny roll. And I was like, damn, she real happy for this small ass roll. Yes, you could tell I'm in the room.
Speaker 4: Yes, So we did the read.
Speaker 2: Of course, it's a wonderful and I'm just like, I'm a part of something great.
Speaker 3: Did you have a part? What do you do in the second episode?
Speaker 2: I don't remember it anyway, and everybody sits still. I'm going to come around the room and I'm going to tell you what your ARC's gonna be for the first season. You're gonna do this, and you're gonna do this, and you're gonna do this.
Speaker 1: Who did Shonda? Shonda?
Speaker 4: And she got to me and I'm like, oh yeah, let me have it.
Speaker 2: And she was like, I want to write a presidential divorce. I think you're gonna be here maybe three episodes and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: And I was like, inside, yo, but cut to you, like having more stuff to do on this show than anyone else. Yes to you being.
Speaker 3: Elected as the president of the United States. At the end of the seventh season, Mellie Grant is the fucking President of the United States.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, amazing, so.
Speaker 4: Longed, but I'm like, my I'm gonna get some good tape for my real is it killed me?
Speaker 2: I go to Liza Smith and I make her talk through my four four words that I have per episode or whatever.
Speaker 3: Smith is an acting coach who's incredible. Really gone to her for a meal. I took class with her. Everybody, look up if you're a prospect, if you're an actor in Los Angeles, and she does New York too.
Speaker 2: Lee got that job with me and for me because I went with if I had two words, if I had two pages, and then it was.
Speaker 4: Six pages, and then I had a big fight, could live.
Speaker 2: And then I got to stay all seven episodes and the trio was like.
Speaker 3: Oh what a what APO?
Speaker 2: And then I was like fuck I. I was really just proud, got taped like scenes for my reel.
Speaker 1: You got seven seasons of footage now for your reel.
Speaker 3: Seven seasons and a critics choice.
Speaker 1: Of juicy as like acting.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is the old time, greatest, most loved, hated, revered, respected, shocking, incredible characters.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, there's a gift of a lifetime. And you guys just still people. Don't they still talk to you?
Speaker 4: They?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Every episode you would wait to get a call from your agents or something being like you're in the next one, and would you be freaked out every single time? Okay, Mellie's going to be written off, or she's going to be killed, or you're auditioning for other things, and what if you would book something else.
Speaker 2: I was also recurring on Criminal Minds and we were trying to offer me like something over there, and so they were trying to leverage it. They didn't think anything was right the Scandal for some reason. But then I thought for seven years, I was I was going to get killed off Scandal.
Speaker 1: So did we all of us did remember every every new episode, we'd be like, I'm still here, thank god every episode.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: They tried to leverage Criminal Minds with Scandal. It did not work, Peter Yo.
Speaker 1: But as an actor, right, these are so few and far between, these moments, these experiences where you do have a small role and then it turns into a big, significant role on a show. I did Weeds. I was supposed to do four episodes on Weeds and I ended up doing eight seasons of Weeds. And it was literally I had four or four episodes whatever. I was like a gang banger, no big ship. And the next thing I knew, I was like they.
Speaker 4: Kept bring I can't imagine without you.
Speaker 1: It was thank you.
Speaker 3: Any other big one isn't dread Mateo like she's the other famous one, like Bellamie on Sopranos, Drea da Matteo is like a huge prolific role.
Speaker 1: Is she married to Taturo's character, not Toaturo Michael Imperio. She's married to Michael Imperio.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna pull out my.
Speaker 3: Wife on fucking the Sopranos. Also was a co star, a tiny co star.
Speaker 2: Josh was not a series regular until I.
Speaker 1: Was Yes, that's right, yeah, yeah either.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy because when we started this podcast and we have to read guest starring Bellamy Young, George Newbird, it was so crazy. I'm like, what they started the whole show. We were all on the same show. Can we talk about, like, how was it working with Barry Bostwick, like your personal fave moments of the episode?
Speaker 4: For you Very's alleged Rocky Horror picture show.
Speaker 1: You guys, Brad, He's Brad in the Rocky heartor Picture Show.
Speaker 4: I was like, what in the world?
Speaker 2: And he just is such a good human being easy on set, especially we had to do. I didn't know Cattleman and I didn't know Barry, and so I was like, oh, hell, is this gonna go? But it was great because he is such a great actor. And a great guy. So it was all wonderful lessons, lessons everywhere I turned, all through scandal. Just it was like grad school, just like gobbling up all these wonderful lessons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be right back. Guys.
Speaker 3: Wow, you are so Bellamy. It's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's face. I really did forget about hucked face.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of huck face. This is the episode where spider bit me on my face on your do you remember that, Katie? Like it got really serious and so the on the show it looks like I got punched dead ass, punched in the face and you could see the little spider bite in some of the closer on your eye.
Speaker 3: Like they did a good job. I don't think anyone else would have noticed, but I was like, oh, this is when Jerima was having something fucked up, Like what.
Speaker 1: Happened now to Gueramo. Yeah, he's got a.
Speaker 3: Few things because he had a peanut allergy blow up at his face blew. Yes, yes, when we were shooting, we've had some stats and.
Speaker 1: Then this jazzy little spider comes and bites me on my fucking eye.
Speaker 3: Anyway, go ahead, Katie Bellamy in if you could even answer this years and years together. I would like to know some of your all time favorite Melly memories on set and some of your favorite Bellamy memories off set.
Speaker 2: No swear, I loved every second of being Melly. I loved it. I loved it because at first.
Speaker 4: It was just like, who gets that great material? Do you know?
Speaker 2: So I'm just so grateful to have something great to work on and great people to work on it with. Eventually they'd write these little one act plays. When they shot Tony and he's like comatose in the bed, Jeffy and I have like a whole one act play over his sleep, and damn body had the easiest day that day.
Speaker 4: We were all like, oh, it's my next line, and he.
Speaker 1: Was like, and he's he truly fell asleep probably right part of it, and we were like, oh, you gotta wait.
Speaker 2: But I think about at first, I really also because I'm not so good at conflict, but Mellie was so like, really it have these big fights with people, and they'd be like, I'm so swarm storms.
Speaker 4: It's just a character, and I'm just saying with the road.
Speaker 2: But eventually I'm an exorcise.
Speaker 4: This part of me. I'm gonna go to work.
Speaker 1: Get that part out, Get it out. Yep, love that.
Speaker 4: Let's do this between her thighs. Let's have it now. I can just.
Speaker 2: Remember with Jeffy, or with Tony or with Carrie. We just got to do so much good work. It's the work I remember.
Speaker 1: But what I hate the most is that we didn't get to interact that often, right Katie, myself and Mellie. Which can you guys remember if we did have.
Speaker 4: A location, it was something to do with a collection.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember at the edge with Cornelia's and.
Speaker 3: Operation and all that, because cars what it was we did.
Speaker 2: If there was an early one too, maybe it was a flash No, it wouldn't have been a flashback. I'm telling you guys, I've never watched Scandal. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: Wait, are you being serious?
Speaker 4: No, I'm being serious because we tweeted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would be the person that would watch the episode. But you were on the section of your phone writing all of your tweets and stuff like that. You were in your phone tweeting.
Speaker 4: Have you never seen it?
Speaker 2: I last night when I was watching the episode to come and talk to you all today, it was I spent the first ten to fifteen minutes just crying, just grass and joy and overwhelm and memories and oh, I'm just so grateful that we were all there and then we get to do this, and I'm so proud of all of us.
Speaker 3: Me too. It's like lightning in a bottle.
Speaker 1: Wee get.
Speaker 3: We feel so lucky hosting this podcast. In all honesty because I say this and I don't mean to sound conceited, but the show holds up, and the world is so great and the writing is so great, and I'm watching everything on TV now and Scandal is right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a gift. Yeah that we got to rewatch it. It's and now we're far away from it iney, Yeah, where I can watch myself and not be like, oh God, why did I do that? I wanted to do it this way. I'm just enjoying it.
Speaker 3: And I don't remember anything. Quinn comes up.
Speaker 1: I don't remember anything yet.
Speaker 3: What I'm like, I didn't know she did that. I don't remember any of it.
Speaker 1: Quinn did a lot in this episode. Gwynn really step in this episode.
Speaker 3: She really steps in it.
Speaker 2: Wow, kissing I didn't remember. Oh yeah, I don't remember you kissing George there.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember that either yet.
Speaker 3: I saw a tongue between Mellie Grant and Fitzgerald Grant and I liked it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I saw that too.
Speaker 4: My husband.
Speaker 3: I think it was Tony's tongue for sure. We're gonna ask him now. Look, in the days of Scandal, this was pre intimacy coordinator. So yeah, we did not have any of this stuff. And also Tony, I have also had to make out with Tony in scenes on Scandal. Crazy most respectable, amazing dude. So I don't mean to be like Tony talking whin tongue all the time, tongued down.
Speaker 1: Listen, you got it's gotta be believable. You gotta give if they're that close up on your face and it's a merry come on, we weren't you have to hear.
Speaker 3: In that scene?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Wait, had you had like major sex scenes with Tony before like that where it was like, I don't.
Speaker 4: Remember that one, so maybe everybody else can tell one had to be in the shower.
Speaker 1: Oh, the shower one we did that episode?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think we did that.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, how are you going to keep your modesty appliances on under the waterfall, and I remember that, but I don't think there was much loving, much other loving.
Speaker 1: Right, it was so believable Mellie with Tony and Tony like that.
Speaker 3: Beginning sex scene was great and the camera was all up in your ship and I just thought you were so like giggly cute, Oh my god, and like it's so great because we don't see that these are so great. We don't see Melly, and this episode is really it justifies so much of why Melly is Melly is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that's It was such a like an act of compassion to meet her then see her just loving fits.
Speaker 1: This was your seven fifty two. I feel like this was your seven fifty two, right, Yeah, your flashbacks, your backstory, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you read it and saw that there was this rape scene between your father in law and you, were you like, let me do a quick email as Shonda, nor did you just jump in both feed and trust? What was your process around that? In zense, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't cotton on to the fact that we could have conversations with Shonda about changing scripts.
Speaker 1: I would never do that. There was never did it. I think Henry ian Cusick was the only one that ever emailed or I think I'm still going.
Speaker 4: To lee, And I was like, how am I?
Speaker 2: How can I take care of myself in this How can I tell this story the best? What can I say on set that keeps me? What's appropriate to say? Again, like you say, we didn't have intmacy coordinators? What's appropriate to say to take care of myself in this situation? And what is what do I just have to let go of and let happen?
Speaker 1: Well, my god, Bells, you did a beautiful job. And not only that scene where he's attacking you and so sad, and then we just there comes there's a moment when you just see Mellie give up, and that's so powerful. It's just you just lose all just expression on your face and it's so beautiful. And then also what stood out for me was this scene when you're walking back into the bedroom where Fitz calls you to the bed and it's close upon.
Speaker 3: You and we see him in the backwer no, get over here.
Speaker 1: I have chills right now. You probably see the hair standing up on my arm. It's crazy. Your work was so beautiful in that scene.
Speaker 2: Really, it's just so sad and relatable. It was just the shame of it was easy to find.
Speaker 3: You think she doesn't tell him, like, why does she not tell it's the right It's not the right choice. It's the most interesting choice for the show. I think. I'm just like it makes Melly who she is. It's no, I'm gonna accept this. I'm gonna not fuck up my marriage because of this, and I'm going to use it for our advantage because I am the political This is the birthplace of the political animal. Everything I've came to be to become Melly plus this equals the woman we know today. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: When I read the script, it was like, oh now it all makes so much sense. But I think looking back, like coming in the flashback in the moment, I think she is a person who doesn't see herself as a victim, like she should have been able to stop it and why did it happen? And not ready to share it yet and and then the yet never ends. And then knowing I have discused me as a lawyer, mind, this gives me power. I will leverage that and I'll deal with it emotionally another day, but right now, and get what I need, and what I need is what we need. But then fifteen years later you are such a little pussball of resist And so I was like, oh, that explains everything to me. Yeah, how she is where she is, who she is in the present, like all the rage and anger and disappointment and yeah again whenever that was that, I did at some time get to scream at him about it being my turn, Like when was it going to be my turn?
Speaker 4: After all? I gave up for him?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you think she ever told fits? Thinking outside of what we see what we saw on the show, I wonder if Nellie ever had a moment where she was she told fits what happened, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't think she did, which is an act of love in itself, because that is the most like when you think about me, you could say to somebody in a fight, that's the most.
Speaker 4: Vicious thing I think, especially like once little Jerry was deceased. I just think that was never just oh my god, Jerry, your son.
Speaker 1: He died.
Speaker 3: Got about that too?
Speaker 1: Oh shit?
Speaker 4: I don't know, God upset?
Speaker 3: Why does Melly hate little baby Teddy?
Speaker 1: So listen, first of all, it's little Gomez. Doesn't he look like from the Adams family? With that parted hair. I was like, why did they make him look like Gomez, like baby Gomez from the Adams Family.
Speaker 2: And this episode is he's huge.
Speaker 1: He's huge. Oh my god, Bellamy me too. I wrote it down as one of the memorable lines. He's huge. You could see the hate Melly's hate for this kid.
Speaker 3: Also, that little kid was a girl, right, that they just cut the hair to be a boy.
Speaker 1: Wait, one of them was I don't know if it was that one. One of them was Belly's.
Speaker 3: Bellamy's laughing because she doesn't know that one.
Speaker 4: That's terrible.
Speaker 3: No, I think that one was a girl. I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I feel very bad that I we always had twins and that part I didn't.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure that baby girl would come into set, into the hair trailer when I was.
Speaker 1: There and they would they'd be like, this boy, oh look.
Speaker 3: She finally has grown in some of her hair from the last time she worked, and they'd be like, she's back. Time to give her that Gomez.
Speaker 1: Dude, Yo, Katie, can we please have that actor on the podcast? How old do you think she is? Do you think she is?
Speaker 3: She can definitely speak for herself. We have to have it.
Speaker 1: We have to have her, and we have to have a Bellamy back to be on episode.
Speaker 2: On behalf of everyone.
Speaker 4: I apologize for your haircuts.
Speaker 3: You're carrying this baby in the hallway, and who comes up to you, Kate.
Speaker 1: Burg Sally Langston. Yes, only time in.
Speaker 2: Seven years that Mellie isn't going to coming from doing something. I'm literally wait, lying in wait, standing still in the hall holding a baby, trying to look innocent, like waiting to like try and lure Sally into a trap about her husband being a lathario.
Speaker 1: With baby Gomez your arms. We will be.
Speaker 3: Back with more after the break. I think the Kerry Washington School of Acting Award goes to Mellie Grant in this episode and the young's work. The award goes beginning flashback scenes of you tongue smooching it's the fucking best, and the giggling and all of this into the awful rape scene, into the post scene of the rape, and then I'm obsessed with your ending scene where you're doing this stuff you talked about. You're like toasting and you're just like, we're gonna do it, and you're unsure, like you're acting. Bellamy is like you're like so not as great as you became at giving a speech, and I know that was an acting choice and.
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 3: But you won all the awards this episode deservedly. So we always talk about the food in the episode, which all I took for my notes was shitloads of grapes. Everyone's plate just has grapes, and I'm just like, oh god, no adult grabs that as a snack. Like clearly this was season.
Speaker 1: Three when a lot of us were like, oh shit, I could see the camera does add ten pounds, let me, let me get grapes for the scene. Let me eat grapes. But the only there was one person eating, and it was George in the car.
Speaker 4: Carge car always eat a sandwich or something.
Speaker 3: Right, sandwich?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make out too.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, how is it? How is that that? It's so funny to watch.
Speaker 1: That knowing their relationship now that they're oh my god, like the best.
Speaker 3: I remember reading it and being like, are we doing this? Is this what we're doing? First of all, I felt bad at the time because I remember this, but we're twenty five years different, I think, or maybe twenty two something like that, And he was getting a lot of shit in the pickup line at his kids' school. He was because his kids were like young, and then all the moms and dads would be like, saw scandal last night, Like how's it? Uh? Oh shit, it's so stupid. But I remember that going on. But no, I remember being completely out of left field, and then I remember not really getting it. And then when we shot it, I was like, Oh, this is hilarious and amazing and so scandal and it makes perfect sense. And I'm just not ever smart enough to be a scandal writer, so I would never come up with something like this. But it's perfect, and we just have chemistry completely different than the Quinnhuk chemistry. It's a different thing, like that betrayal.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you did that.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't remember doing it. I don't remember shooting it. I don't remember sing a thing in a guy's hand. I don't remember running like that. Was it out of my mind. I remember like having blood off. I don't remember any of it.
Speaker 1: Wow, it was really cool.
Speaker 3: I think the episodes were coming so fast and furious at this point.
Speaker 1: I didn't have time. I completely think about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, episode seven in the first season, when Quinn is also covered in Gideon's Blood. I remember shooting it. I remember shooting it. I remember every minute of it. But now that we're in episode three oh seven, I and the next one was probably like coming in two days and I was like so stressed about memorizing the lines, and or it.
Speaker 2: Was three episodes later and this was a reshoot one night to pick up by a dumpster, like you're.
Speaker 4: Being recruited, right.
Speaker 2: That's why I can't remember anything, because there was so much extra film. Do you remember the last episode whatever we did. She might have lived at the table read and died in the episode, or maybe it's opposite. So much changed.
Speaker 3: I remember going into a d R and saying, Oh, I can't wait till we get to that scann Rewatch podcast. Whoever that actor was, I don't remember he I will get there when we get there. But I remember being in ADR and then being like, nope, he's dead. And he was alive when we shot it, and they just literally changed my line when it was on his back. That was like and he never woke up again. And I wave to the sound department and I was like, wait, this guy is dead. Yeah, he's done. I was like oh, which.
Speaker 1: Means like dead in real life.
Speaker 3: No, somebody just didn't like it. They just like, that's hilarious. Careful.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, oh god, now.
Speaker 2: You you that was your burden this whole series is you were always an ad r changing the storyline because.
Speaker 3: Quinn had to do so much plot in the later on in later seasons, Quinn will get there had a lot of the plot talking about when we were doing the cases of the week, and so when they would rejigger the plot for whatever way, they could just change it when it was not on my face but on the back of my head. So I was going and changing. It was so fun. Okay, so we've got grapes for food, we've got the acting moments.
Speaker 1: And wait, I just wanted to throw in one acting moment Honorary. You mentioned Darby. There's the scene in Olivia's office she tells a live I'm gonna hug you. Now you just you could just stand there, but you have to take it and I'm gonna That was brilliance. Both of those actors were so amazing in that scene and it was hilarious too. It was hilarious, like she's.
Speaker 3: Yes, perfect, gee hit us with the horror. How does this episode have anything you guys?
Speaker 1: Listen? First, Bellamy Young did a movie that I freaking love called The Nightstalker with Lou Diamond Phillips, about the prolific serial killer Richard Ramirez. It's a stellar film. It's so good and your work is good. Your wig is good in that movie. I love that. Sexy as hell.
Speaker 4: For you, I had bangs. It was great. But can we give it for lou My dear Lucia.
Speaker 1: Scary as hell?
Speaker 4: That was a hard one to Was that tough?
Speaker 1: What was that like shooting that movie?
Speaker 4: I was scary.
Speaker 3: We had a wonderful Who did you play? Bells?
Speaker 2: I was just sized character that I'd go as a lawyer trying to find information on some other victims that I think are linked to him, and as he's dying and on death row, I have all these at first. He dies eventually, but I have all these one on one interviews. It's us talking to each other, ME and Lou and just his work was so beautiful and it was so fun to try and keep up with.
Speaker 1: That Bell's I did some research when I was looking up the film again, just to read up on it. I've seen it a couple of times, and I love it so much. But I read that some of Richard Ramirez's art work was actually up in the cell in the scene when he's in the cell, the actual artwork that this maniac did. I got chills when I read that. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: People are fucking crazy. And when you hear Sheil like, oh yeah, oh my.
Speaker 4: God, like I know that's scared. That that scared me. I was like, don't come. I don't want any of us to come home with me.
Speaker 1: So y'all got to go watch The Night's Talker.
Speaker 3: Ay, Yes, Bellamy was in the cottage in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: We made that.
Speaker 3: And if we made that one, she says, she was in my sleep in twenty ten. I don't know any of these, but Bellamy, you've been around. This is also why Scandal was so fucking great, because me being the baby, but coming in every single one of you had worked for a very long time, like consistent working journeymen, journey women actors in the truest sense, and we were all just hoping and praying that time hadn't run out and someone would give us some sort of a shot for financial stability and good material and just doing that dream life where you get to show up every day at an acting job that you like to be at. And between Bellamy and Guillermo and Jeff Perry and Dan Bugatinsky and Tony Goldwyn even though yes, he had done big stuff, but it had been like not of recent I feel like, and even Carrie Washington. Everyone was so thrilled and grateful to be there. One was like, oh please, this is a dime a dozen. We can get this. Everyone was like, no one blow their nose too hot or steady, just steady, keep it going. Do you want to line?
Speaker 4: Should we practice?
Speaker 1: We were so good about that, right, We would always write we were such good, good boys and girls. We really were like, let's run lines, guys, because we had to get them out so fast that we had to.
Speaker 4: Yes, had no pain than being the person the weaklink up.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay we have. Barry Bostwick was the narrator in rob Zombies three from Hell in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's like I haven't seen that one either, but again, of course again he was Brad in the Rocky Eart picture It's still playing in when theaters around the world at midnight, The Midnight.
Speaker 3: Movie classic of epic proportion. Okay, we've got word for the words, just the writing for the episode. A couple standout moments from the app For me, I'm doing a standout words for the words and a cringe moment of my acting is when Quinn's says they dead.
Speaker 1: I can wait, when do you say they dead?
Speaker 3: We're going at a round table about the people who were murdered on the plane when the plane when fits shot down the plane and they're like and everyone's doing fast one liners and everybody on the plane. Quinn goes, they did Are you kidding me? It is horribly delivered.
Speaker 1: They did it.
Speaker 3: They did it shouldn't have been mine. It's not good. I hope somebody laughed and it brought somebody joy because everybody else.
Speaker 1: I'm going to watch it just.
Speaker 3: Did it is they did. It's not good at all. I love James Line. You control everything, which is exactly why I want to have sex with you and kill you.
Speaker 1: At the same time.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Also fashion moment, he is the biggest silliest tie on it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the big pink amazing, amazing, so terrible, but so good. Also another fashion moment is Harrison's wearing pink suspenders, you guys, did you guys clock that they're really actually dopey? And another fashion moment, Carrie's wearing a black coat with a white collar and white cuffs at the top of the show.
Speaker 3: Which is opposite for her.
Speaker 1: It's very Willy Wonka Willy Wonka. Yeah, but it's I don't know who the designer is, but it's a killer.
Speaker 3: I love this episode so much. I loved your work in this so much. I'm just so grateful we ended up altogether. What else we have to talk about? We've got fun facts for the app ITTs revealed that Olivia did know that her father's B six thirteen alias name was Rowan Cyrus mentions that he was married to a woman.
Speaker 1: Yes, he does go we.
Speaker 3: Learned that in this episode. Yeah, and the big which we talked about, like the big reveal we meet that Carrie Washington has a mom at all and it's played by Candy Alexander and it's the greatest reveal ever.
Speaker 4: Next week, can't get here soon enough?
Speaker 3: Can't yes?
Speaker 4: Watch those two human fight and work.
Speaker 1: A gift man.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we have some to the time oh time capsule, some tweets at the time. I freaking love this at Chris Allegra November fifteen, twenty thirteen, said Mellie Grant said she's a tar heel. It explains so much hashtag skittle. Solly Grant went to UNC.
Speaker 2: I hope it explained so much in a good way.
Speaker 4: She did that. I think I can't remember where she did go, but I think it just.
Speaker 3: Grew up in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: I grew up in North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Is that where you grew up?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And we even say Ashville when in that scene to bed he was I was like, my dad just called. He wanted to talk to his little girl, and which is my home? I write?
Speaker 3: Because they knew you were from Ashville?
Speaker 4: I guess, so it's too weird if they didn't, right.
Speaker 1: I remember we used to say that we felt like there was cameras in our trailers or on set because shit would pop up and you'd be like, wait, how did you know that? I went to Incarnation grammar school, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Because she gave herself Alex left season two, she could hear.
Speaker 1: Everything everything yo. And then so Tyler J. Martin's tweeted, I just watched Scandal and I am curled up into a ball on my bed shouting Melley into my pillow. I'm so emotionally stable hashtag emotionally stable.
Speaker 3: This is also a good Melley one. Lula d At I run with Lula tweeted, you declare war on me, and you shame me, and you make me beg for scraps and I've done nothing but fight for you. Damn Melie that hashtag scandal.
Speaker 1: Katie Babs tweeted finally watching last night's Scandal and Cyrus was rocking the rug on his head and a beard fifteen years ago. He sure was he was doing something to that wig. Was something was happening up there?
Speaker 3: A lot at Adela A Fadi wrote, O MG, scandal, what no way? My heart can't take argg A dk f m f l K. That's just like a lot of gibbers, because what a gift to Bellamie Young to come on rewatch Scandal podcast. You're gonna have to come back again because I.
Speaker 1: Ten more times touch based on.
Speaker 3: All the personal memories. But we ship Juice.
Speaker 1: And God, it feels like we've been talking for ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, is it really?
Speaker 4: I don't shoot all right?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: No, I just I miss you guys.
Speaker 1: We miss you too, Bells. What are you doing right now? Bells? What are you working on right now?
Speaker 2: Eat?
Speaker 1: And what are you gonna eat? And what are you working on? Yes?
Speaker 4: No, I I've I've brought am.
Speaker 2: I working on my dearest friend Say and I wrote the first book and a sci fi y a trilogy and we just did the shut out for it. So we're just getting that off the ground.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Bell me Young went to Yale. She's smart.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, but we just yeah, we love yeah, we love the Are you.
Speaker 1: A sci fi fan? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 2: And I also just and like where the world is going and now the question where like what we're all facing with Ai and anyway, we just had this idea they wouldn't leave us alone. And now we've written the first books.
Speaker 1: That's exciting. Can you share the title or not yet?
Speaker 4: I think not yet?
Speaker 3: Okay, good, yeah, okay tell us at a later time. What are you going to eat today? What are you going to eat?
Speaker 4: You're going to make us a big veggie stir fries, so like tough puns of broccoli and ye.
Speaker 3: It's rainy here.
Speaker 1: We didn't even get to talk about all the amazing vegan fried chicken that Mellie got on the show, right, you were obsessed with it, weren't you.
Speaker 4: They made that special for us, Like that's en, that's of it.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get healthier, had to Doomies, but it's going to be delicious. So hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, I'm going to go to Doomies for lunch. Vegan fried chicken.
Speaker 3: I'm getting a veggie stir fry. That's It's so freaking so good, Bellamy. There is no scandal without Melly Grand, and there is no Melly Grand without Bell Me love me.
Speaker 1: So much, Bell Yeah, Amy you yeah, but.
Speaker 3: What's your middle name?
Speaker 4: Maria?
Speaker 3: Like, give me a minute?
Speaker 4: And he was like Amy Maria Young her initial speller name.
Speaker 1: And she was like, oh ship, I love.
Speaker 2: That so so we monogrammed everything back in the day and it was like a y am so it.
Speaker 4: Lay on that plane. But he tried, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Would, Oh, Amy Maria Young, we love you. I love you more than my luggage, as they say in Steel Magnolias. I was trying to think of something southern. I love you more than my luggage. I love you so much.
Speaker 4: I love you and you guys are doing such a good job. The podcast is so good. Thank you so soon.
Speaker 1: You for having so much fun. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 3: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.