Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Ethos and what Ethos does is it helps you find life insurance. Let me tell you why life insurance bailed me out. My father died when I was sixteen. We didn't have a lot of money when it happened, and we were in a pretty tough financial spot after it happened. I'm an only child. Suddenly my mother's single, single mother. She had a job, suddenly lost a job, looking for another job, and we were struggling. You know, my dad didn't leave us in the best financial situation, but he did make one purchase. He bought a life insurance policy. Wasn't a huge chunk of change, but it was enough when we found it. And when I say we found it, meaning we went through his desk and we found, oh, look at this, let's see if there's anything here. And it helped us out at a time that we really needed it. And that's why I think it's important that if you can, especially if you have young children, if you can get life insurance, you should get it. Life is full of unexpected emergencies, unexpected things happen. It is an extra bit of security, something you can leave and help out at a time when you're not you're not there to help. So what does Ethos do well. Ethos makes getting life insurance fast and easy, and it's one hundred percent online. You can get a quote in seconds, you can apply in minutes, and you can get same day coverage. They will find you the right fit. There's no medical exam. You just answer a few simple health questions online. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage and some policies are as low as thirty dollars a month, and you'll get your lowest rate from their network of trusted carriers. So take ten minutes to get covered today with life insurance through Ethos. Get your free quote at ethos dot com slash chuck That is e t hos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and rates may vary. Well. If you remember my interview with Sarah Isker Oh, I want to say like four months ago. She we promt soon when her book came out because we had more to debate. In fact, I had a weird idea for her about how to fix the judiciary, and we're going to get to that. But her book is out. It is called the last branch standing. For those of you who aren't familiar with Sarah, she's currently part of the Dispatch. If you're a podcast obsessor, you might listen to the Advisory Opinion podcast with her and David French it is. She's sort of the legal expert of all things legal for the Dispatch. She has worked at the Justice Department in a previous administration, and I guess would try to describe herself as right of center, Sarah, how would you describe.
Speaker 2: Yourself without a party?
Speaker 1: Conservative, whatever that means today? That's when you say, you know, it's interesting, you know, let's I want to steal on this a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because.
Speaker 1: And I bet you you've had a conversation similar conversation with Joanah Goldberg. And on one level, we're all liberals correct, right, because we believe in liberal.
Speaker 2: Correct. That's why I'm conservative, because I'm a liberal, which I know is the weirdest phrase ever.
Speaker 1: But actually people that are trying to understand that, how would you.
Speaker 2: Talk about this in the book too? Because people try to think about the court or the media sometimes covers the court like they cover Congress, and I'm like, yes, there's an ideological spectrum on the court, and yes it's conservative to liberal, but it doesn't map onto our politics particularly well. It maps far better onto what you're talking about, or sort of the actual like political science spectrum where you have anarchy on the one side and statism on the other side. All of us are in the middle of that spectrum somewhere, and we hold wildly contradictory views. You know, limiting a border, you know, or maybe guns is a better example. Uh, gun regulation is statist, but uh, you know, free speech is anarchy, right, and so you can have all sorts of things that you can plot along that line. Uh So the reason I'm a conservative, Conservatism is like that line right in the middle where it's like status quo. Before we change anything, I want us to think really hard about it, because we've got a pretty good country and a pretty good life, and if we make changes, I want to make small changes. See look around, like, is everything still okay? What what were the second third order effects? Okay? Good? That was good. Let's make another little change then. So that's what I mean by a conservative, because I'm liberal.
Speaker 1: So what would you so I called my I don't so what I you know, A lot of people try to call me a centrist. You know, let's say you know, or they moderate or I get that.
Speaker 2: I've heard people call you all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: I've had. I've had a lot of names, but like those that are like some I'm serious about it. Somebody called me, you know, I'm gonna name drop here because you know that's what we do now as influencers. Right. Bono called me a radical centrist, and I've always.
Speaker 2: That's actually the best name drop i've.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it was at.
Speaker 2: One of these way So I in my book in that I have little mini chapters for each of the justices. And Brett Kavanaugh's biggest regret in life is that when he was staff secretary for George W. Bush, he didn't ask for a picture with Bono. He was like, you know, I'm a staffer. I'm supposed to be like serious, and He's like, it was a huge mistake.
Speaker 1: Can I just tell you the single by the quick eyed side I'm working at the White House, or what I did covering the White House. The piece of advice I got was always have a stash of baseballs in your work area because you never know who's coming to the White House on any given name, and so I took that advice. I got you know, you know, ended up with Willie Mays, ended up with stand Usual, ended up within Scully Like it was just like it was now I cheaped out and they were Dick's Baseball's not official Major League Baseball, so they're not worth as much on the quote open market.
Speaker 2: But please say you're not throwing them.
Speaker 1: So like what my and my Willie May's autograph was, I got that one on Air Force one. How do you like them apples? Right?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, yeah, I so at DJ, we did not have as many celebrities coming through. In fact, we sort of frown on letting anyone in the building. But if you remember, at the peak of the Mueller investigation, the Washington Post like went out to artists and was like do your art but about d O J. And this is actually an incredible song. I highly recommend it. It's called Mister Peepers by Ben Folt of previous Ben Folds five. Yeah, and I really really loved the song, like genuinely, I just think it's a great song. I will tell you, Like I listened to it so often. Spotify is like, oh, you're no one, So I was like, we're going to find Ben Folds, and I did, and he came to DOJ and we had an exchange. We signed constitutions for him and he signed a little like LP of his record, Mister Peepers for us.
Speaker 1: That's so good. You know, that does mean I'm just gonna have to go listen to Mister Peepers. Now, I've got to understand.
Speaker 2: So ben Folds is like a very high IQ guy. Yeah, And the song basically makes the illusion of Rod Rosenstein to Lord of the Flies and Piggy with the glasses, and that they're all trying to kill Piggy and like this fragile young Republic is actually one of the lyrics. Of course, quoting Benjamin Franklin, it is a smart song, like they should study it in English literature class.
Speaker 1: So, boy, I love having you mine because it's all rabbit holes. But if we're going to go off on this rabbit hole, I've got two songs that fit that category of sort of like Joey Ramone did a song called Maria Bartiromo No and right, It's fantastic. It's it's all about he was obsessed with it was back when she was at CNBC. Yeah, and he was obsessed with CNBC. He was watching all of his investments and literally there's a lyric, what's happening at the stock market? You know, Maria Bartiromo.
Speaker 2: She does have a lyrical name.
Speaker 1: It is a riot and it's like again like when you hear it, it's just like what's happening on squat box? And he did this, like you know he's dead. He did this is like twenty years ago. He did this song. And I remember I early on at NBC. I prepped her for a debate, and you know when I was his political director, and she didn't have the greatest sense of humor about it. I thought she would. I was like really fired up, and you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of better than but like it's like being parodied on SNL, where you're like, that's you've a.
Speaker 1: Right, They've arrived.
Speaker 2: Joey Ramon, I mean, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And the other one is Arim did a song. Do you remember the weird Dan Rather? And you're a little bit younger than I am, so you might not remember this. So one day Dan Rather is done with the news, and I guess he gets mugged. One night in New York walking home or something, and he talked about getting mugged, and he said the guy kept saying, what's the frequency? Kenneth and ari Em did an entire song called What's the Frequency kenn And it's just such.
Speaker 2: A little dark but yeah, but it's I guess.
Speaker 1: The song is one of those I never get out of my head and for anybody, I think hopefully I put him in so that we by the way, I think we could create a playlist of some of these life.
Speaker 2: Like political songs. Well, just so you know, Rod Rosenstein actually like loves mister Peepers, and he and I talk. I don't want to say like every day, but like close to every day, is that right? We will, yeah, we will sometimes just still exchange lyrics from mister Peevers.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. So after we got derailed, I was going to ask you, I call myself an incrementalist, not a centrist, not anything. I could just say incrementalists for the reason you just described yourself as small C conservative, which you could argue, which is I believe for a country of three hundred fifty million people that you know, sometimes we'll move to do something progressive. Sometimes we'll do something you know, more libertarian. That to me is the real sort of distinction. Right, are we going to have less government involvement more government involvement? Right? I'm willing to experiment if there's consensus, but only a baby step at a time. So what would you call where would you put me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: In law, we would call that. You'd be a Burkian minimalist no revolutions. In the book I describe I have this like spectrum for the justices, Like, yes, there's an ideological spectrum, but there's also this institutionalist incrementalist spectrum, and I sort of call it aim small miss small if you remember from the movie The Patriot. Okay, so if we were doing the BuzzFeed quiz of which justice are you? Based on that spectrum alone, we've narrowed you down actually quite a bit. So you are down to the chief Cavanaugh and Kagan.
Speaker 1: That would have been my guest too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could ask you some more questions and like which one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, do you think that you have a unique perspective and you like to make sure that people understand you because you don't like being misunderstood or people assuming what you think that that sounds like you to me, like, I mean, given your job, right, Like, so that knocks out the chief right.
Speaker 1: Somewhere between can and Kagan. Yeah, it's funny you say that, because I remember, and I think you and I have had a I remember believing and I I remember Susan Collins saying this to a source of mind. I couldn't directly confirm it with her, but it was sort of she said, I think Kagan and Kavanaugh will be the new center of the court, and that was always her rationale for supporting Tavanah, and that she believed that the two of them were fairly close, and that they were professionally close, and that that would they would be the center. And I think the open question has always been did the confirmation process have an impact on Kavanaugh that changed that mindset? And you know, I know you that's incredible.
Speaker 2: I think is right. He is in the majority more than any other justice in the modern era, including the justice that he replaced, more than Sandred O'Connor, more than Anthony Kennedy, which is wild because we always saw it that.
Speaker 1: Majority maker for the longest time, Right.
Speaker 2: He was the majority maker, right, And I think that thinking of Kagan as the center of the Court. Maybe that's not the right word, but she plays far more of a role behind the scenes than I think people realize because all they're seeing is the vote tally and they don't think a lot about Kagan is a strategic player, right, which solicitor general taking?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How many solicitor generals are on the court?
Speaker 2: Former solicitor generals, actual solicitor general. It's just her, just her us Some of them served in the solicitor General's office. So Alito and Roberts had both been assistant solicitors General.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think that makes you more likely to be more collaborative if you're in that solicitor general role or not? And that's always is that still the tenth justice? That's always been the joke, Right, it's the tenth justice.
Speaker 2: I don't think after this administration that is.
Speaker 1: Fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just not right now. They do not sort of give that person the There was like a conversationalism to it. I'm like, yeah, yeah, we saw you last week, casual mother. Anyway, what are you here to talk about today? Right, that's not happening anymore. But I think the bigger thing that you're getting at, actually that has a bigger effect is that they worked in the executive branch, and a lot of the current justices worked in the executive branch. You compare this court to the court that decided like Brown v. Board of Education. The Brown v. Board of Education court had first of all, eight of them had served in the military. That's not surprising, right, We're in the wake of World War two. Five of them had held elected office, a governor and some senators and a congressman. Two of them had been attorneys general. One of them didn't have a law degree. Five of them had graduated from a public law school. You know, compare that to the court we have now six of them clerked on the Supreme Court. Almost all went to Ivy League schools except for Justice Barrett. Almost all of them have worked in the executive branch. None had any serious jobs in Congress, though, for instance, Elena Kagan at one point briefly worked on Ruth Bader Ginsburg's confirmation in the Senate Judiciary Committee. That's not like representing Article one in any way. And I think we've lost something as we've really narrowed that resume into the Supreme Court. Three of the justices replaced the Justice they clerked for So the chief replaced the Chief, Kate Kavanaught replaced Kennedy Jackson replaced Brier. And when we talk about an Alito retirement, do you know who's number one on the list for replacements Judge Andy Oldham, one of his former clerks. Because one way to convince a Supreme Court justice to retire is to say, don't worry, your legacy will continue. We'll pick one of your clerks. And that has really encouraged some of these justices to step down in a very recent past.
Speaker 1: So the thing that bothers me the most about this court since Sandradale O'Connor left is the lack of experience on the campaign trail you are deciding issues, Chuck.
Speaker 2: You want me to be a Supreme Court I'm so flattered.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, Yes I do. I would look whether understanding the impact of your rulings and how they might play in the real world. I'm sorry, what you just described are nine people that do not live in the normal world. Have not really Washington is its own bizarre ecosystem, as you and I both both know. So you know, you know, I took some solace in the fact that at least Sandrade O'Connor had had asked for somebody's vote, would understand how the average person deals with a Supreme Court ruling and how it can impact their way of life. We have gotten rid of that because there's so many right, we're so in a weird way. The polarization is made touching elected officials impossible, right, they seem like they'd be impossible to confirm. That's why you don't do it. I guess the last semi serious elected official considered is it? Is it Bruce Babbitt? Right? Was it Mario Cuomo? I don't know. Bruce Babbitt, Well, don't forget that.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump said that he would put ted Cruz on the Senate because it would make all the other senators so happy.
Speaker 1: I look at Alito opening feels very likely to me. It's the summer, and if I.
Speaker 2: Were, it's very likely, whether it's this summer or next summer. Like it may not be this summer.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, it may need to be this summer.
Speaker 2: It may.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think if you look, the Senate seems more in play every day.
Speaker 2: Thank you Texan.
Speaker 1: Well it's not just Texas now, right, You got Montana, you got Iowa, yet main in North Carolina already got already gone, right, so now they just need to find two more Ohio and Alaska. Look competitive, you've got textas you got. I mean, point is I think, look, the prediction markets already have Democrats favored to pick up the Senate. I think that's a little over uh over exuberant, but I understand that sentiment. It certainly looks that way. And in fact, if I were Donald Trump and I were thinking about ways to goose turnout in the midterms, Supreme Court opening would be one thing I would consider.
Speaker 2: There is no question that this White House is very eager to have a Supreme Court opening and lower court openings. They are putting the word out, uh, you know, let's let's do this.
Speaker 1: We will Who's who's more likely?
Speaker 2: Definitely Aldo Thomas has basically signaled that he does not intend to go, so stop bugging him. But this is why when everyone's talking about like, will Trump pick like a total lunatic to put on the court? Trump may want to put a total lunatic on the court, don't get me wrong, But if they need to coax Alito off the bench, they may have a bit of their hands tied. That may be part of the deal that they make, you know, if you retire. Now here's the person, and so that may guarantee that we get a normy like a judge and yolda. Now you may think you may not like his opinions or whatever, but like he is a circuit judge with all the resume and everything as a very normal pick, you know, in terms of that.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Wild Grain. Wild Grain is the first bake from frozen subscription box for sour dough breads, artisonal pastries and fresh pastas, plus all the items conveniently baked in twenty five minutes or less. Unlike many store brought options, Wild Grain this is some simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be a lot easier on your belly, little gut health there right, and richer in nutrients antioxidants. There's also no preservatives and no shortcuts. The Wild Grain boxes are fully customizable. In addition to their variety box, they have a gluten free box, a vegan box, and a new protein box. I will tell you I have done the gluten free box. I have done it a second time. I have also used the code the todcast code. You use the promo code podcast at check out, you get thirty dollars off. I've already used it as a gift to somebody else who loves this bread. It is hard to find good gluten free bread. It is fantastic. They give you step by step instructions. I really dig this. There is nothing like having an artesian bakery in your freezer to chase away the winter chill. Now is the best time to stay in and enjoy some comforting homemade meals with Wild Grain. I obviously highly recommend it. It is worth giving Wildgreen to try. Right now, Wildgrain is offering my listeners thirty dollars off your first box plus free croissants for life. Come on when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast to start your subscription today. That's thirty dollars off your first box and free croissants for life when you visit wildgrain dot com slash podcast, or simply use the promo code podcast at checkout. This is a sponsor I absolutely embrace, so use that code. The story about Alito and that health issue last month.
Speaker 2: You know I have a very good friend who was at that party, though.
Speaker 1: Can I be a little bit like that felt forced? That felt like a forced leak.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So basically as far as I have heard, again, this is not coming from the court or anything else, I have a friend who is at the event. It sounds like you got neurovirus at the party. So like he was, he was fine during the cocktail hour, and then suddenly he was not fine. If any of us have ever had neurovirus or have young children, were very aware of how that works. They were hours away from his home, and so the question was do you drive home or do you stop by a hospital to make sure it's neurovirus and not food poisoning or something like that. So, like, of course they went to the hospital. He has commercial service. It kind of seemed like a non story to me. They checked him out, They're like, yeah, you have norovirus, have a fun try.
Speaker 1: It was a non story that day. It didn't and then and then it magically leaks out like two weeks later, and I was like, hmm, that's intentional.
Speaker 2: He's actually pretty young compared to other justices who have retired.
Speaker 1: I was just going to take Thomas Thomas is the right.
Speaker 2: He's got a book coming out in October, and some people have said, like, well, he made the book publication for the first week of oral argument, so clearly he doesn't intend to be on the court. And I'm like, or Justice Alito doesn't intend to sit through like a whole book to her like some people do. Did I mention it? No, So I think you can make arguments either way. He is enjoying his time on the Court. I don't think he necessarily wants to leave. But the number one reason to leave is, as you say, the midterm elections are coming. He would like, you know, someone like him to replace him, whether it's one of his clerks or not, and you don't want to lose that chance. The Ginsburg example looms heavy on the Court, as does the Scalia example.
Speaker 1: Ted Cruiser Mike Lee is at all serious in your mind?
Speaker 2: You know, if it were any other president, No, but like yeah, but I think it's very unlikely. You look at the circuit picks that this administration is picking, and they could be from the w administration. Almost all of them have clerked for the Supreme Court, which again I do not like the narrowing of this. And if I could just go on a rant for a second. Please chuck you like my rantsy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Okay. So to become a Supreme Court justice, you must be a circuit judge. To be a circuit judge, I don't mean you actually must, I mean in this current environment right by no means must you okay? To be a Supreme Court justice, you must have been a circuit judge. To be a circuit judge, you must have been a Supreme Court clerk. To be a Supreme Court clerk, you must have clerked for multiple circuit judges. That's many years of your life. To do that, you must have had the you know, economic stability to not need to go directly to a law firm where they would pay you four times as much as your clerk salary. And to do that you almost certainly went to an Ivy League or Ivy League equivalent law school. We are literally narrowing down who our Supreme Court justices can be at eighteen years old.
Speaker 1: That's insanity. And you're right, like you have to start worrying about it at eighteen.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's we don't want. You know, you talked about how he's people because of their resumes and everything else live in a bubble. We also have forced them into this bubble, so they now have twenty four to seven marshall service because of the threats that are not just online death threats, you know, someone showing up to Justice Kavanaugh's house with the intent of assassinating him and with the tools to do so. But it's not just the violence, it's also the secret recordings. They can't talk to people in a normal way because they have to assume that anyone they don't know could be trying to use this against them in some way. They can't make new friends. They can't go to restaurants anymore.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Justice Alito, as I mentioned in the book, used to walk down the street every day and go to the ko seat to get the little salad in a bowl that's you know, in the house.
Speaker 1: We kind of recognized him frankly on the street. I don't mean that it's not disparaging, it's just the most people wouldn't know what look like. Yeah, that was kind of a feature.
Speaker 2: He brings a brown bag lunch every day, as do almost all of the rest of the justices. Because they get mobbed in restaurants. They have protests at their homes, and so we've put them into this like further and further, like retreated from human society. And at the same time, it's not really about these current justices that I'm particularly concerned about, is what it is. Right. But when you talk to the people who are shortlisters and you ask them, these are normal, smart, thoughtfuls already, and you ask them, so, like, you know, are you going to do this? The thing that I keep hearing is, oh, I mean, I'll be honest, like, I don't know if I can do this to my family. And so the types of people who are going to be sort of put themselves out there and complete this like triathlon to be a Supreme Court justice are going to be sociopaths who do not care about their family, their private life.
Speaker 1: Who have you met the United States Senate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's exactly what we're going to do. We're going to have the types of people who currently run for Congress. Either you can't make more money in the private sector, which should scare the hell out of you, or an actual psycho. And that's the choices you're going to have for a Supreme Court justice. A lawyer who can't make more money in the private sector, or someone who you know, really that that lifestyle appeals to them, which it should not.
Speaker 1: Look it's I mean, you're you're certainly this rants sings my tune, you know. So let's talk about what broke the court. You know, and I know you your last branch standing. The last time we talked, we talked about the three three three court. Right that this is not a six' three. Court it's really a three three three. Court but BEFORE i gloss over the three three, three go through your three three three, again AND i assume It's, Kavanaugh Barrett roberts in the. Middle is that who your three is?
Speaker 2: There think of it as high school lunch. Tables you. Know it's not that they always sit, together but like, generally if you're going to the lunch, room you're going to be able to find them at the. Table so the, Chief barrett And kavanaugh are at the cool kids. Table they're like the jocks because they're most likely to be the fifth vote in any. Case they are almost always in the majority more than ninety percent of the. Time, okay now we have like maybe our like super nerd ap classes. Table That's Kagan sodamayor And. JACKSON i will circle back to sort of what makes them, different why they're so interesting in that they're doing a different, project, right because they do not they're not on that same ideological side of the.
Speaker 1: Spectrum, no they feel like Brand, i Brandeiserch but we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Anyway, yeah and then we have my table THAT i call the conservative Honey. Badgers they're sitting, together but they don't actually like they're like sort of the. Misfits they're like reading their own books or like looking at their own magic the gathering. Cards but while seated. Together That's, Thomas, alito And. Gorsich they are the least likely of these three three pods to agree with one. Another they actually have very different judicial, philosophies but find themselves in descent together as often as the three liberals find themselves in. Descent.
Speaker 1: Well, LOOK i think what's interesting to me, though is that in your threes, right in the two, wings gorse such will. Flirt you, know isn't always with the two.
Speaker 2: Right he's a, libertarian so that's always going to be different because that's what libertarians have to.
Speaker 1: Be alito And thomas feel the. Most alito And thomas on the, Right jackson and so to my or on the left field the most. Political and what DO i mean by? THAT i want to give my definition of what political, means meaning wherever they think the, convention conventional conservative thought or liberal thought, is they go. THERE i, mean they're almost predictably so Versus, kagan who Like gorsage every once in a, while AND i probably am not giving enough credit to so to my r who also everyone's in a, while will we'll find yourself not with With kegan And, brown AND i think there's once or Twice i've noticed. That is that a Fair AM i characterizing it? Correctly or how would you push back on me on?
Speaker 2: That, OKAY i am going to push back a little because the equivalent To gorsuch is Actually. Jackson they are the low. Institutionalists they are just there to speak with their own, voice you, know like they're.
Speaker 1: Soloists by the, way there's my favorite opinion of the year is score such and the tariff the tariff, CONCURRENT i mean, opinion it is the f You, congress get your shit. Together it is like you preach, brother like you, know, yes like you, know please keep doing. This AND i hope someone on team on the left side of the court says something, similar because this needs to. Me what he said was not. Ideological it was sort Of congress needs to do their effing job and stop forcing us to essentially be a. Legislature we need to.
Speaker 2: Follow this tangent for a, moment which is this is the, reason by the, way that we're talking about the court so, much that people feel The court is so much more partisan than they did in the. Past and it's, because let's you, know there's two cases pending this term that everyone has sort of maybe heard. About one is Can mississippi accept ballots five days after election? Day and another one that you might have heard about is whether the administration can stop people before they get to the southern border and therefore not allow them to apply for. Asylum The Supreme, court in those, cases and many the vast majority of the cases that they decide that we hear, about is not actually, deciding of, course whether those are good or bad. Policies there are also not deciding whether those are constitutional. Policies all they are doing in those cases deciding What congress said in a statute in the. Past when The court would decide those, cases they didn't matter very much because the next Day congress would just amend the law if they disagreed with what The court thought they had. Said they did this in The Voting Rights act, case for. Instance they did this in The Lily ledbetter case as. Well the problem we have now is that nobody believes that after The mississippi absentee ballot case or The remain In mexico, case that the next Day congress will do jack shit about these. Cases and so instead of it being this ongoing dialogue Between congress and the, courts the court's the last. Word so it becomes really important to people what The court says, understandably but they also don't feel like they have any ability to change it because The court is not a democratic representative, institution and so the frustration builds with the court when in, fact as you, know they should be Frustrated. Congress.
Speaker 1: LOOK i look back AND i think, about you, know how long Has congress been? Broken and you, know we sit here and we, say, ooh it's so. Polarized and you, know some people want to, say, oh it's New, gingridge and then some you, know if you go back, further they're all. Right so. Right, WELL i go back EVEN i look At brown Versus board Of, education, right and you think about the things that the court ended up having To you, know when did the court first start looking quote unquote political or being treated as a political branch rather than as a judicious. Branch you could argue it began With brown Versus. Board, Right it was because it was such a you, know it changed it it sort of it changed a lot for a lot of people in this. Country And roe Versus? Wade why did why did The court even have? This Because congress didn't have the guts to make a decision on reproductive rights for women in the, law which they could easily have.
Speaker 2: Done Why pittsburgh did not Like roe Versus. Wade she thought they were winning the political, fight and she wanted to win it at the ballot, box whether that was state by state or In, congress because she knew that that decision and the way that it was, written the way that it was, decided was incredibly.
Speaker 1: Vulnerable, WELL i don't understand why equal protection wasn't work.
Speaker 2: Used but she was mad about that. Too she was, like this was a decision about the doctor's. Rights what about the? Women she was, like she was mad like six ways To sunday and it was. Amazing this was all before she went on the, court by the, way now it's.
Speaker 1: All it's actually really well documented in that one documentary about.
Speaker 2: Her, right, yeah, yeah but, okay here's the one Thing i'll push back on what you. Said it's not THAT i. Disagree you're of course totally, Right but The court has been seen as political Since. Jefferson, Right jefferson was trying to Impeach Samuel chase for being too political on the. COURT fdr thought The court was being. Political that's why he wanted to pack It, lincoln, right must we ignore all the laws but one we are not ruled by The Supreme. Cour so the feeling has always existed because they're, countermajoritarian because they're lagging indicator of our. Politics BUT i think Your brown Versus board Of education point is what has launched. That that's what you can point to for our current. Moment that's the.
Speaker 1: Current moment that we're. In, Right and it's sort of like and you, know and look there's AND i don't know of, course then it's there's the confirma. Right as the court became this be all end all for people's. Rights, well then of course it raised the stakes for the confirmation. Process it's sort of like the chicken and egg. Argument what has politicized the? Court the confirmation process Or congress's inability to deal with issues in the court having to be the last. Word so if the court's the less, word then who gets on the court becomes that much more. Important, Right it's sort of this vicious cycle that we're. In you, KNOW i Look federalist seventy. Eight you assume are familiar With federalist seventy. Eight it Is hamilton's argument about the courts, essentially AND i can tell you HOW i Read federal seventy. Eight he wants the least political people you can possibly have in the. Court they've got to be you. Know he didn't use umpires or referees because we didn't have that, then but he was essentially describing. That, Yeah and he certainly said and the last thing we'd ever want to do is have election of, judges which a handful of states. Do AND i find it to be, asinine, right, like what have we? Done these Elected supreme courts are garbage to. ME i cannot stand, them and they just all they do is make people's trust in the courts get. LOWERED i think, COLLECTIVELY i think they do a terrible service to the CURRENT Us Supreme. Court that we have These Supreme court elections in swing st.
Speaker 2: It's so so. Bad AND i think we, see like, oh In wisconsin, redistricting and there's sort of these these very partisan culture worry things that we hear. About but what we don't talk nearly enough about is when we have elected, judges the rights of criminal defendants are hurt the most because if everyone, believes the majority of voters believe that that person did, it are you really going to let them out in a technicality if it costs you your. Job it's just some you, know guy who's a bad. Apple he did the. Crime you, Know i'm not going to lose my robe over. This that is why we have life, appointments because they have to be able to make decisions that the majority. Hates the founders hated, mobs they actually hated direct democracy and. Majorities this whole branch exists to stand up against majorities because otherwise you do not have a First, amendment you do not have a fourth. Amendment the whole point of those is that the majorities will hate the, speech and so who's going to protect the speech that everyone, hates not someone who has to stand for. Election but instead we focus on the wrong things with the elected. JUDGES i actually don't care about the redistricting stuff being. PARTISAN i MEAN i do.
Speaker 1: Period it doesn't matter that the incentive structures are you, know are. Not AND i Love i've not heard that, argument but that's my favorite new argument frankly of reason to be against, it which is like you, YES i, mean you're like it is unfair to those that appear in front of the court, period, yes you, know especially when you described, right like you, know for for just deciding state crime, issues, yes.
Speaker 2: Which is the, vast, vast vast majority of our law is done at the state, level very very little well even have the opportunity to go to The Supreme. Court so, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: Don't even like. RETENT i don't even think. Retent you, know there's some states have the retention, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or nonpartisan, elections but they never end up being non.
Speaker 1: Nonpartisan wisconsin's nonpartisan on, paper you, know if you go in the. Ballot, yeah you, know, LIKE i, mean it's just insane this and Like wisconsin's Because. Wisconsin i've always, said you, Know wisconsin's ground zero for our. Polarization they were polarized before the rest of us. Were i've spent time there and all this, Stuff so of course there was. Companies they're the ones that have weaponized the court more than. Anybody it's, awful but we Were, yeah.
Speaker 2: We were talking about just the nine. JUSTICES i don't like that was ten minutes ago that Gorsic and And jackson are so similar and they join each other's concurrences because they view their roles on the court so, similarly even though they are ideologically so far apart on that other, spectrum on the institutionalist incrementalist, spectrum if you, will they are non, incrementalists non institutional they.
Speaker 1: Feel that's why is it brandeis that was seen as the guy that wrote wrote dissents that eventually BECAME.
Speaker 2: I, Mean John, Marshall, Harlan we've had like these.
Speaker 1: Randise, yeah that two generations, later their descents would be the foundation for opinions right for positive.
Speaker 2: Whereas Like kagan And, havena AS i, said, again they're not next to each other, ideologically but they are right on top of each other incrementalistly institutionally, Okay but here's something you said that was incorrect THAT i want to, correct which is this idea That thomas And alito are more again political by the definition you were. Using all of the very very few of these cases fall into that category to begin. With so in the last twenty, years over ninety percent of the cases have had at least one liberal justice in the. Majority so when we're even talking about these sort of ideological, lineups we're actually looking at very very few. Cases and in the same way that in the conversion therapy case that was eight to one about whether therapists have free speech rights to tell their clients even though they're licensed by the, state do they have the right to if their client wants them to help them feel comfortable in the sex they were born, With do they have the right to do that under The First? Amendment eight of the justices say, yes And Justice jackson says. No, yes that does line up. Ideologically Perhaps Justice jackson is the liberal she's against conversion, therapy but her reasoning was that this is a state licensed, job so when you are doing, it you are doing a, conduct you are conducting, medicine and That trump's basically you're not some random citizen practicing free. Speech you had to get a.
Speaker 1: License that trump's your quote free speech.
Speaker 2: Rights that's right. Now another example of something like that is on The raheemi case about this, guy he's like the worst guy In. America he had two domestic violence restraining. Orders he shot up a water. Burger don't worry because he was also a drug. Dealer that case was eight one And thomas was the sole dissenter and they're arguing about how to apply you, know text history and tradition in The Second amendment to domestic violence restraining orders when obviously we didn't have those at the. Founding but more, importantly you haven't been convicted of a. Crime nobody has found anything beyond a reasonable, Doubt and so can we take away Your First amendment rights when you haven't been convicted of? Anything, no so why can we take away Your Second amendment? Rights thomas is the sole person who's, like you have to have a criminal conviction to take someone's constitutional. Rights, again it looks like it lines up ideology, ideologically but if you dig into, IT i think you will find that there's something very consistent about what Justice thomas is saying and on that spectrum we were talking, about right, like he is on the sort of more anarchy side of. That you can never take away Someone's Second amendment rights unless you have checked every single box and Justice jackson is on that more status. Side, yes if the, government you, know the government gets to license you as a, doctor and once they, do you have given up some of your rights to get that. License those aren't really ideological fights in the normal political, sense but they do line up on that. Spectrum, nevertheless.
Speaker 1: This episode of The check podcast is brought to you By. Soul so if you love that end of the day unwined but hate the, Hangover soul's out Of office is for. You these SPARKLING thhc drinks and gummies give you the same relaxed social feeling without the, alcohol without the, calories and without the. Crash soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and. Easy soul specializes in DELICIOUS hemp DERIVED thchc AND cbd products designed to boost your mood and help you. Unwind their best selling out Of office gummies were designed to provide a, mild relaxing, buzz boost your mood and enhance creativity and. Relaxation with five different, strengths you can tailor the dose to fit your. Vibe so also has a variety of products specifically designed to help you get a better night's, rest including their top Selling Sleepy, gummies a fan favorite for, deep restorous. Sleep, LOOK i have made no, SECRET i am a believer in this, stuff in cannabis and hemp. DERIVED i do not partake in. Alcohol for the most, PART i think this stuff is a lot safer than, alcohol a lot less addictive than. Alcohol and, YES i have to SAY i love these. Drinks it is the glass of wine and you know after, work that's what this. Is so no hangover and no excess calories like. This i'm a big. Fan so bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to sold. Today right, Now soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire. Order go to getsoul dot com and use the word podcast that's getsoul dot com promo code podcast for thirty percent. Off and, YES i, too am a. Customer let me ask you to help me understand the distinction between an originalist and a. TEXTUALISTS i BELIEVE.
Speaker 2: I am a textualist and not an.
Speaker 1: Originalist, yeah Mister gorsuch calls himself a, textualist not an. Originalist that's Both alito And thomas call themselves. Originalists is that?
Speaker 2: Correct, oh let's sit on this table for a little. While, Okay gorsic is a, textualist, Okay and these are all their own terms for. Themselves gorsich is a, Textualist alito is a feint hearted, originalist And thomas is a bloodthirsty.
Speaker 1: Originalist very, nice, okay, Okay so basic difference between the count you, WELL i, Assume, well, anyway you tell me the basic difference between the originalists and.
Speaker 2: Textualists gorsich is going to read the text of the Fourteenth amendment or of that, statute and it doesn't matter whether they understood what they were agreeing, to because he's going to look at the text and, say, like, look you said equal. Protection you, know you didn't know what gender identity was or, whatever but like it says equal and that's what we're going to do. Now you, know in the case About, bostock it was employment discrimin and it said because of. Sex and he's, like you fired someone because they wore a skirt to work and they were a. Man that's because of, sex because you don't think men should wear, skirts, which by the, way just like side, note that's not even like a sex, thing, Right, like in some cultures men do wear skirts and others they. Don't that's. Right and he's, LIKE i don't care That congress when they pass this law might not have thought of this, application because it's in the. Text i'm reading the text And i'm applying the. Text that's a. Textualist, okay let's go over To, thomas our bloodthirsty, originalist WHICH i, love and let's go back to That Second amendment case with my drug dealing waterburger shooting up super fun. Dude his point is, like, look we agreed to a contract at the, founding and The Second amendment, says you, know the right to bare arms shall not be. Infringed feel free to amend, that but my only job here is to apply. That and if you haven't been convicted of a crime and that crime didn't exist at the, founding my hands are tied because otherwise we're just kind of making this all up And i'm not willing to do. That that's the bloodthirsty that's like the purest form of. Originalism whatever they thought they were agreeing to when they ratified that. Language that's the only agreement we've ever, made and we're not changing it to fit your modern. Times alito's, like, look let's be practical about. This you, know at the time of the, founding they didn't have domestic violence restraining, orders but they had laws to disarm someone if they thought they were a threat to public safety for other, reasons even if they hadn't been convicted of a. Crime you're a notorious, drunk you keep going around town making people afraid by like shooting your gun up into the. Air that's close enough for me that they knew that they were agreeing that the government could disarm someone who was generally thought to be a dangerous guy short of a criminal. Conviction that's your fainthearted, originalist who's going to look at a slightly higher level of generality of what that contract was that was agreed to at the.
Speaker 1: Time and what do we call everybody? Else?
Speaker 2: Uh, well the chief has eschewed any. Label you, know he's a little bit harder to pin. Down he's obviously, conservative but his methodology is not originalism or. Textualism it's you, know something else entirely that he hasn't given us a label.
Speaker 1: FOR i was Just roberts has always felt like he reads the. ROOM i don't know what else to. Say he just reads the, room and it's, like where should we be on?
Speaker 2: This and heavy is the head that wears the. Crown he is not just the chief. Justice he is the head of a branch of.
Speaker 1: Government and it just sort of feels, like you, KNOW i go back to the you, know his most famous five to four before anything he ever did With trump was the healthcare. Right, yeah and when he became the guy that Let obamacare, live it, was you, know he found a way to justify it the tax thing and you know it's depensable and all this, Stuff but it was one of those he was Like, Congress congress intended to make this law. Work we should figure out a way to make the law, work or something like.
Speaker 2: That, Right LIKE i think he actually presaged what was, coming which Was congress not doing. Enough and so When congress does do, SOMETHING i should encourage that. Behavior. Right it's like when your kid does something. Good they didn't do it quite, Right like they were unloading the, dishwasher but they dropped the dish and you're, like, no great, Job. Love when you unload the, dishwasher definitely don't worry about that broken Dish let's just keep the unloading.
Speaker 1: Up, unloading. Right, yeah so that at the end of the, day you, know had this been you, know maybe he doesn't come down on the side of this law if it hadn't been something that originated In.
Speaker 2: Congress, yeah one hundred percent. True he is really there policing the line but between the presidency and The, congress and he is trying to Give congress a chance to to be forced to do their. Job kavanaugh is more of that fainthearted. Originalism his level of generality is even Above Justice alito's probably bear it as. Well she's the formalist of the. Court she's going to check to make sure you crossed all your t's and dotted all your eyes before you walked in the. Door things like, standing do you have the ability to sue where you actually injured are going to be really important to.
Speaker 1: Her she's a Rule she's like very the rule follower is probably the best way to. Discribe wait a, minute you didn't check this box when you file. It, sorry can't, no, standing can't take it?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah which her argument would, be that's not just her being a, stickler it's actually good for the. Court you want to have these like very good vehicles that are correctly, positioned because otherwise you don't want the court deciding like you don't want the court inserting itself into something that isn't actually a problem, Yet and so she wants the court to stay out of as many cases as possible until it's, like, well we're kind of stuck now they have to do. This Soda mayor is the principal, dissenter, right the most senior justice in descent gets to assign the. Descent, generally in the bigger, cases you will assign it to. Yourself that's why you see some of that tension Between sodamayor And, jackson Because Soda mayor is supposed to be the one writing the big, descent and Then jackson will write her own, descent and it's, like stop. IT i was just going to.
Speaker 1: Say is it just? Me or do we have more people wanting to put pen to paper now than ever? Before with these.
Speaker 2: Justices they're taking fewer cases than, ever and they're writing more than ever. Before we didn't even used to have these concurrences and. Descents until about one hundred years, ago and in the nineteen, fifties we were at about, one maybe around one concurrence per, case roughly, speaking now we're at three an average of three.
Speaker 1: Case was it seven or? SIX i can't remember. Now it was just, like, wait they're all over the. Place who didn't write like it was a shorter. List you're, like, well Not, thomas, right like you, know he, said wait a, MINUTE i don't have to Do i'm not doing extra. Credit, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: IT'S i think it's bad for the. Court this is, where like kavanaughs a million, voices The constitution, says there shall be One Supreme court of The United, states not nine oracles who each give us their own reading of The chicken And. Trails But gorsach And jackson want to read The chicken And trails every. Time And Kagan kagan is she has poo pooed the heck out of these. Concurrences she calls them The, HEY i Think i've got something to say throat.
Speaker 1: Clearing, YEAH i. Know it's, like, look everybody wants a. Podcast we should just let them have, podcasts you know THAT i have something to, say just let them do it in a podcast speaking, hobbies.
Speaker 2: The, JUSTICES i write about The justices hobbies a lot in the, Book like what movies they?
Speaker 1: Like give me.
Speaker 2: Some, Yeah kagan is a serious poker.
Speaker 1: Player, NO i, KNOW I i know, This, LIKE i don't mean she's playing poker with her. Friend, no, no, no, NO i. Know let's just Say i'm in A i'm in a related poker, game BUT i don't. PLAY i don't, WELL i won't play those, Stakes So i'm not in that. GAME i know the. Game i'm aware of the you, KNOW i always get invited to the smaller steak. One that's All i'm going to.
Speaker 2: Say there was also this great MOMENT i, thought So Justice barrett was really looking forward to the new season Of Slow horses And Justice kagan is Like i've read all the, Books like it's like the sort of one up like This i've.
Speaker 1: Heard by the, way in the, books are you A Slow horse? Fan? Yes in the, Books Gary oldman's character is even. Grosser just, so, like how is that?
Speaker 2: Possible?
Speaker 1: Oh apparently that's WHAT i. Thought apparently someone tell me it's, like, oh if you're grossed out by what he does of the, Show like it's just a taste because the books are just. Awful when it comes.
Speaker 2: To, Him, oh here's a fun one THAT i think you in particular will. Like Justice alito's favorite. Movie and by the, way it's not just his favorite. Movie he actually has the like poster In.
Speaker 1: Chambers let's see IF i can guess give me a.
Speaker 2: Topic you will never guess this.
Speaker 1: Ever, OKAY i said that.
Speaker 2: Being there The Chauncey gardner Movie, wow which feels particularly appropriate in this.
Speaker 1: Moment it weirdly does with, him especially because you know he's sort of an Accidental. Justice he was a backup. Plan you, know he was the backup. Plan trying to think how many plan b's are on.
Speaker 2: There, well he's a double backup plan, too because if you, Remember Sandra day O'Connor retired and they Picked John roberts for that. Seat then the days before his, Hearing renquist passes, away so they Moved roberts over to Cheap. Justice Then Harriet myers gets the O'Connor, seat Then, alito so he's almost like the third, pick as Was, kennedy, Right it Was, bork Then, ginsburg Then kennedy who got that. Seat The ryer was a.
Speaker 1: Double Now briar was a double backup Plan cuomo And babbitt If i'm not.
Speaker 2: Mistaken, WOW i mean it's hard to imagine THE Us Supreme court Without Stephen.
Speaker 1: Bryer. Oh and he was not the first. Choice he was the he Was kennedy's first, CHOICE i, think for what it's worth back. Then but remember this was at first it was The cuomo thing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah no you're and and.
Speaker 1: Then Bruce babbitt was and then he had SOMETHING i can't remember what it. Was maybe it's. FINANCIAL i don't think it was, anything you, know outside of being. Financial AND i have no.
Speaker 2: Idea What risberger. Remembered Duggins bring has a dropout because he had smoked pot with his, students with his.
Speaker 1: Students do you think he had to drop out because it was with students or do you think he would? Have you, know it's always been because he smoked weed with. Students do you think if it had been weed at his house without, students he makes? It or is it eighty? SEVEN i still think it's A i still think he's. Gone BUT i think he's.
Speaker 2: Gone, YEAH i THINK i think he's. GONE i just you, know especially you, know you can think back to the Moment, linton years later is still going to have to SAY i didn't. Inhale it's like nearly going to derail his. Campaign it's going to suck up three weeks of a media. Cycle so, like, yeah but the fact that it Was GEORGE. W, Bush we're just worried about.
Speaker 1: Cocaine we weren't worried about weed, anymore.
Speaker 2: And, today my, God I'd i'd take the. Cocaine we have a teetotaling president in every, respect and it's, like you know, WHAT i don't, know maybe the drugs weren't so Mat can.
Speaker 1: You imagine what he'd be like on, alcohol on, drugs, like, like thank God, TRUMP i mean this could be something you, know we always wonder is he self? AWARE i think on this he's self? Aware trump on out Drunk. TRUMP i, mean it already feels like the country is being led by a drunk, Driver LIKE i think we're going to go in the correct, direction but we're swerving all over the, place AND i just right like and he's stone, cold so, exactly you're, like oh my, God like what would happen if let me just shows.
Speaker 2: The wisdom in the moderation in all, things including. MODERATION i, UH i.
Speaker 1: One, time early in young, adulthood for reasons THAT i won't speak of, here, uh took a class about moderation and it was An it was an Interesting it was about you, know just you, know do a, little don't do. This and you're sitting there, going, hmm should we teach this in school or? Not because we don't because we're afraid we're actually giving a permission slip to, try right. Right we don't teach moderation until after you've made a. Mistake it's an interesting dynamic for young. People i'm sure you.
Speaker 2: Read Mackay coppin's gambling. Piece oh, yeah if you'd like to have more of a you, know a debate at the dinner table about the value of moderation or the value of abstention, entirely that piece really actually makes you think about it in an interesting, way and the sort of how religion serves a masked tying purpose in.
Speaker 1: Life it's the upside of, religion, yeah is how it can. Serve but let me get you out of hearing, this, Okay and it is my AND i think IF i remember the last time we, TALKED i, said, hey LOOK i want to do, this and you were, like, well we have to save. That SO i go back to federal seventy, eight AND i go back to one to you, know what was the original, Intent and the original intent is to get the least partisan political people you can. Have so why wouldn't it be seventy five percent of THE Us. SENATE i wouldn't have lowered the threshold from sixty to fifty when we couldn't do. ANYTHING i would have, again if we're dealing with our teenager when they're, past when they don't when they're late for, curfew do you move the? Curfew oh you didn't make two? Am all, Right i'll make it three am so you can Get, no you're, like, sorry it's. Midnight now you've lost. Privileges you guys can't figure out how to get sixty. Votes, sorry now it's seventy. Five. Now the REASON i want seventy five IS i think you have to. Force if this is the way we're going to appoint The Supreme, court then i've you, KNOW i want half of the other. Party whatever president's in, power some form half the other party have to agree to that. Pick it's not a lot to, ask AND i go, back Like i've talked to. You you worked in The bush, administration and SO i KNOW i have talked to people that worked in The Bush council's, office and they, said if you had told us it was fifty and not, Sixty John roberts doesn't get nominated to The Supreme, Court damn, right.
Speaker 2: Yep so why you?
Speaker 1: Know tell, me how have the proposal for?
Speaker 2: You SO i put this proposal in the. BOOK i stole it from Two harvard law, students both Named. Tom here's what The tom, suggests AND i am radically in favor of it BECAUSE i think the end of the filibuster is destroying the judiciary and we are just at the er.
Speaker 1: Blue WHETHER i buy the idea that they are all individual, thinkers but guess, what most of The american public. Thinks they're no more black, robes they're red and.
Speaker 2: Blue And biden's picks were more liberal Than. Obama's trump's picks are more conservative Than. Bush's and it's this idea that if you can't get a vote from the other, side like we used to have general, elections so you used to run to the middle if you wanted to be a, judge and that. Included in law, SCHOOL i had tons of friends who were very politically liberal because we all were, like you never know someday and now without the, filibuster it's a primary, election and so you're running to the. Extremes and we see the effects in law students where they chee even having friends who disagree with them, ideologically because that could show someone ten years down the road that they were. Squishes you, know they don't really mean by the.
Speaker 1: WAY i Think i've told you a piece of the story, offline But i'll share it. HERE i had somebody very close to me who had who was asked about whether they'd be interested in a federal judicial federal. Judgeship but the requirement was they had to join The Federal. Society like there was like an actual requirement before they could ever be nominated.
Speaker 2: Because they will get confirmed right.
Speaker 1: Now and you're just, like, WAIT i have to join in some private club like this this person to any of these, Clubs like that's just you, know this is not and you're just like what, Right like what do we?
Speaker 2: Do, okay here's the, proposal because there was a, problem you, know like there's a reason they got rid of the. Filibuster Harry reid thought that The republicans were being unreasonable in not confirming judges to the D C. Circuit The republicans wanted revenge because The democrats refused to Confirm Miguel estrada to the D C circuit because they wrote this, down by the, way because he Was, latino yeah, somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah that this was going to Help, republicans.
Speaker 2: Right, Yep and so because of his race they would not confirm. Him republicans were very very. Upset. Understandably, okay here's the. Proposal there's two ways to get confirmed to A article three. Judgeship number one is the old. Way if you get more than sixty, votes you are. Confirmed. Congratulations. Great if you do, not but you get a bare majority fifty one, votes you are provisionally. Confirmed and after the next election For, congress so you, know the every two, years whether it's a general or a, midterm your nomination automatically comes up, again regardless of whether The president renominates, you and The senate will vote. Again if you get fifty one, votes, again you are, confirmed because then the voters have actually gotten to weigh in on who was the good faith. Actor and what's great is that their proposal works for legislation, too and it would actually make our congressional elections about real things and not. Vibes it could make them about policy questions and legislation that's, pending or about judicial picks and which side is you, know not refusing to compromise or acting in bad. Faith AND i love getting the voters involved in.
Speaker 1: This you, know the state Of, NEVADA i believe you, have a referendum has to pass twice before it gets added to their. Contry if you do, it is, yeah a good to do it two cycles in a. Row, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway that's my proposed solution in the book to how you fix the confirmation.
Speaker 1: Wars that's not. BAD i, mean LIKE i, Said i'd just go to seventy five and you, know and you would get a certain type of person picked right, Eventually, no AND i think even in this the one you're, describing you don't want to have the person come up the second, Time so you're probably going to try to find somebody who can get.
Speaker 2: Sixty so, yeah you're gonna have to wait for two years to fill, that you.
Speaker 1: Know like and by the, way in case people are, wondering it's simple Active congress can decide.
Speaker 2: This oh, yes, right, yep they.
Speaker 1: Don't there's nothing in The constitution that says how The senate should confirm these.
Speaker 2: Justices do you know what else they could fix really easily with An act Of, congress maybe the Same act Of congress forum. Shopping there is no reason if you were asking for nationwide relief of whatever, kind or if you are challenging an executive order you know, regulation that you should be able to pick which district you file in because you think it's a friendly. District you, know you could be the most fair judge in the. World but if everyone knows that one side keeps picking, you you're not going to look very fair no matter how you. Rule And congress could fix that. Tomorrow there's nobody who will defend this. System it is bad for the, judiciary it's bad for the rule of, law and it's bad for The Supreme court because that's how a bunch of these cases keep getting to.
Speaker 1: Them, Well, SARAH i think you. Are you are becoming my favorite go to person on all things legal in The Supreme. Court sorry to my Friend. Ms, Totenberg sorry to my friend With Pete williams down retirement you, know you're you're my go. To, okay just to.
Speaker 2: Be, Clear pete And nina are my. HEROES i just event you, like and.
Speaker 1: They're On Mount. Rushmore don't get me, wrong they really, are but you, know And Willie mays was an amazing baseball. Player but show Hey otani And Aaron judge dominating, today they were you're Your it is your, Time Miss.
Speaker 2: Sisker all honor To pete And, Nina, yes who have been so supportive of me and of this. Book they have helped me behind the scenes. Enormously so do you stand on their.
Speaker 1: Shoulders the Entire Supreme Court press cort seems very, collegial And i'm incredibly impressed about.
Speaker 2: It LIKE i can see your rattle off, names but Like, Laura jared is my best. Friend Devin dwyer AND i text every. Day Amy howe is the most amazing human and. COLLEAGUE i hear.
Speaker 1: This all the. Time And pete would tell me. STORIES i used to, like would go Into pete's. Office, Hey, pete tell, me so tell me about your lunch with you, know the yearly lunch you got to have with the with The Chief justice and you, know, WELL i can't say, this BUT i can tell you generally WHAT i. Hear you, KNOW i can IMPRESSION i, Well lewis is one of my is one of my all time favorite people in the. World that's his real first. Name don't tell Any he's to charles me all the. Time so whenever he charles, me he got.
Speaker 2: Lewised you, know At John Carroll university Where Tim russert went and they have The Tim russer at, school there Is Pete week twice a, year AND i went For Pete week this, year and.
Speaker 1: Well you should. Come you need to come On may. Seventeen you need to come On, Sunday may. Seventeenth that's commencement because there's somebody that's going to be giving a commencement. Speech oh, Interesting SO i might see you there if you choose to. Come i'm Hoping, pete but we're going to find out If pete. Comes i'm hoping he will. COME i think he'll be. There we all at U X nbc or is always pay homage to our friends A John.
Speaker 2: Carroll, yes it's an amazing.
Speaker 1: School, anyway congrats on the book you're Gonna is it all a virtual book? Tour do you get to go places.
Speaker 2: No let's. See, yeah this podcast will be released On tuesday.
Speaker 1: Week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah so this WEEK i am At Harvard Law, School university Of, Denver San, francisco and Then i'll be Doing Bill maher On.
Speaker 1: Friday the law school visits are going to be.
Speaker 2: AWESOME i love that talking to law. Students that's BECAUSE i wrote this, book you, know for me before law. SCHOOL i went to law school BECAUSE i Watched Legally blonde and was, like, yeah that makes sense for my. FUTURE i can do El woods and LIKE i needed to read this book BECAUSE i had no. Idea CAN i, Ask.
Speaker 1: Okay i'm going to make myself feel old Because i'm doing this on behalf of some of my. Listeners, yeah did you at least go back in time and Watch Paper?
Speaker 2: CHASE i read a Paper chase and one l By Scott turow the summer BEFORE i went to law. School BUT i got to tell you WHEN i show, Up Elena kagan is my. Dean that's you, know HOW i get to know her AS i talk about in the, book and it is a totally different. Place CAN i give you one example of what it means to have a dean Like Elena? Kagan SO i lived across the street and one block up from the law, school and so every Morning i'd like pack up all my Books they're incredibly, heavy and like go to the law school for the. Day And Elena kagan put tampons in the bathroom because if you got your period while you were at law, school you would have to go all the way. Home and it was giving men this advantage basically because they were able to stay in the library and the women were having to like go home. Sometimes and it was so thoughtful and as silly and small as that, sounds it imbued everything she did at the law school and the type of very thoughtful dean she was.
Speaker 1: To make leveling the playing field that was leveling the playing.
Speaker 2: Field, yeah, yeah we had she put in a sand volleyball court like on campus so we, could you, know get a little. Exercise there were happy hours On, thursdays hot dogs and ice.
Speaker 1: Cream you think she's doing that to this, Day come, On, clarence let's it's hot.
Speaker 2: Dogs let's.
Speaker 1: Go she's a big baseball. FAN i know that she.
Speaker 2: Shows up at the clerk happy hours. Sometime so Every thursday there's a cleerk happy hour at the court and she is one of the justices known to swing by because she likes the. Tea, MAN i don't mean the, drink you, know she likes the hot goss as the kids. Say BUT i do note in the book that ice luges have been banned from The thursday happy, hours.
Speaker 1: Which means they were once, there which is.
Speaker 2: Yes they.
Speaker 1: Were, Yeah WELL i this you have really sold. It, WELL i will tell you that you have sold this. Book, well. Congrats and my only concern is it's the last branch standing for, now, yes right or? Now because we have this is you, know this is the last court that has people on it that's been produced by a sixty vote threshold in order to sort of get into the. System when we start to have a court that is majority fifty vote, only that feels like an even more unruly court than we've ever.
Speaker 2: Experienced we have not yet seen the results of our current political moment on this court because the court is always a lagging into indicated.
Speaker 1: Right first ten, years, right we're in the first ten years of The.
Speaker 2: We've got a few years left to fix some of this. STUFF i have my reforms in the back of the. BOOK i have some proposed amendments as well so, yeah.
Speaker 1: Awesome, congrats thank you for spending time with, me And i'm going to be bugging you. Again Maybe thumbnet you'll decide you want somebody who does not have a legal background to be on, advisory but we'll, say.
Speaker 2: Oh perish the.
Speaker 1: Thought thank.
Speaker 2: You, bye