Speaker 1: With the one hundred and eighty fifth pick, the Pittsburgh Staters select Will Howard quarterback Ohio Stakes.
Speaker 2: Well, you had the Hay Rookie crew following you around. Have you gone back and watched any of that just to kind of relive the draft experience.
Speaker 1: I really haven't, to be honest with you, but I kind of watched it as it was going through. It was kind of weird, like sometimes I'd be in like bars or you know, like restaurants, and I'd see it on the TV and that was kind of weird. I did watch it back a couple of times, and they always send it to me before they send it out, and it was really cool. It was kind of cool to just get to watch myself go through the draft process because you don't really get a lot of time to sit back and kind of appreciate what you're doing and you know, look back at what you've been doing and all the work that I put in, you know, and it was kind of it was cool, you know, and it was a it was a long process, but I'm glad to be here and finally just you know, play ball again.
Speaker 2: Besides the Hay Rookie crew being there when you got the call from What do you remember most about that moment, the people you were with, and maybe the feelings that came out of you.
Speaker 1: I remember sitting there, you know, sitting on my couch pretty much, you know, the first three days, and you know, nothing day one obviously, nothing day two, and then day three starts and you know, I'm sitting on my couch and had all the hats sitting there lined up ready, all the camera crew ready for me to be sitting in that seat, and a couple of times I just got a little impatient or you know, wanted to get up and get a snack. So I ended up, you know, right during the sixth round, I stood up and I went to the kitchen just because I was tired of sitting in the same spot all day. And that was where I got the call. I was just a relief, you know, seeing that number come up before one two number with Pittsburgh Steelers over top. I had gotten prank called a couple of times, so it was nice to, you know, actually have a real one.
Speaker 2: Get it awesome getting a couple of couple of national champions man, because you guys know what's required. Man. Congratulations man to you you deserve it, man to get family.
Speaker 1: It was just a relief, like a like a weight off my shoulders and just you know, all of the work kind of come into a fruition and just just an amazing moment and super blessed.
Speaker 2: Why did you want it to be Pittsford.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just felt like throughout the whole process, you know, I had dinner with you know, coach Tomlin and Coach Smith and Omar pro Day, I had a formal with him at the combine, and every time I interacted with them, it just felt like they were genuine people. You know, everything I've heard about this about this organization is that it's you know really, I mean, it's a historic organization and everyone that has come through here has nothing but good things to say about the people. Obviously, it's my home state, close to home or close to Columbus. There's a lot of things to like about it. And you know, the team, you know, is a great tradition of winning, and you know, Coach T's done a phenomenal job of pumping out you know, playoff teams year in and year out. So I'm just excited to be a part of this organization. It's storied, there's a lot of history, and you know, it's it's a blessing to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: What was that pro day dinner?
Speaker 1: Like when you're preparing for though, those interviews and meetings and dinners, you know you're ready for real, a real formal setting. You know you're ready to sit down and you know, you know, chop, chop this this this this question, question answer answer. But it was super laid back and coached. T was like, listen, man, Like before we even got started, he just said, I just want us to just kick and get to know each other and you know, have a good time, just break a little bread, food and fellowship, and that's what he's about. And I really appreciated that. I thought that that was different than most of the meetings I had been a part of, and stuck out to me and you know, I sat there, I sat next to Arthur, and we got to talk a lot, just you know, about ourselves and you know how I like to get coached and you know what what I think is, you know, good about my game and all those different things. We just got to kind of chop it up and it was it was great. It was super laid back. It was relaxed, but it just felt felt right, It felt normal, felt comfortable. There was probably twelve of US Ohio State guys and we had a ball.
Speaker 2: What is it like to have Captain Jack here? And how did you guys get the invite to Ben Roethlisberger's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was amazing. Obviously, you know, seeing Jack get drafted to the to the Steelers, I was like, that just adds up. It just makes sense, you know, just a gritty guy, you know, blue collar just going to the Steelers just just felt like it made sense, you know. And then I'm sitting there waiting and you know, I had said throughout the whole process to all my boys, you know, from Ohio State, I was like, I don't care who it is. It doesn't have to be any certain person, but I just hope that I land with one guy from Ohio State, with like one teammate. And you know, obviously, you know, as fate would have it, you know, I mean, here we are, me and Jack, and you know, it just worked out super well. He was one of the first calls I made after I jumped in my pool. I FaceTime Jack, and I know they like I screenshoted something and they posted that everywhere and it's super cool, just super cool to be back with him. We developed a real special bomb last year at Ohio State. I wish I got more time with him, but you know, here we are, we get we get some more time. You do.
Speaker 2: In terms of after you got drafted, your mom did an interview and said that you were bugging the coaches to get the playbook and they were like, just enjoy the weekend, like we'll see you when you come in. What does that say about you?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you know my mom. My mom loves to talk about my work ethic and all that. And you know, I did send a text to Coach Arth like today after I got drafted, just because I was sitting there, you know, a week and a half till Rookie Mini Camp. I didn't really have anything to do, so I was like, I might as well get a jump on this playbook and get into it. And you know, I think that's what I like to hang my hat on, is working hard. And you know, I may not be the most talented guy in the world all the time, but I'm gonna outwork everybody. And that's kind of, you know, what I like to be about. And bringing the heart, bringing the fire, and and just outworking people.
Speaker 2: What was his pitch like when he tried to recruit you to Akron?
Speaker 1: Oh Man, it was a long time ago. I barely remember, but I remember him, you know, telling me he believed I was an NFL quarterback. And you know, there weren't a lot of teams that would say things like that, you know, and obviously, you know I was. I had aspirations of playing in the Power five, and that's probably why I, you know, passed up on Achron. But you know, I really respected coach Arth and you know, really loved what he did.
Speaker 2: Lastly for you, tell me the characteristics that make you a good quarterback?
Speaker 1: You know, I think first and foremost is my leadership. You know, I think you know, I'm a relationships based guy, and that's what I'm working on right now. You know, I know I'm a rookie. I want to stay in my lane and make sure that I'm smart about that, but I also want to get to know everyone in the locker room and build those relationships, you know, because they're not gonna you know, they're not gonna care how much I know unless they know how much I care. You know, and that's that's something I think is really important to me, is just getting to build those relationships. And I'm trying to take that time to do that right now. And I know it's a process. You know, I'm being a rookie. I understand how this lead works, you know. I think that's that's number one. And then my ability to process, you know, and understand the game. I think that sets me apart as a quarterback. But you know, and then I think third, I would just say my work ethic, you know, and I'm never taking note for an answer, always, you know, wanting to outwork everyone. And that's kind of what I like to hang my hat on.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: Thanks Will, Thanks MISSI.