Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama Girl drama girl, all about them.
Speaker 3: High school queens.
Speaker 4: We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheered for the right teams.
Speaker 2: Drama Queens girl fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queise Drama, Queens Drama, Drahna Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 4: Six o two. You guys, we opened season six with so much levity, everybody's ever the best I've ever.
Speaker 2: Jumping around cactuses and bedrooms and.
Speaker 3: So much joy, happiness.
Speaker 4: And then it was a different shows so too, like Brook Davis, what happened.
Speaker 5: To you guys? It's really bad.
Speaker 4: It's bad. Do you guys feel gross?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what I was gonna say. Drives me crazy because they color timed our show so warm, so like all the colors would really really you know, saturate warmer. So I remember how good all this prosthetic makeup looked in person, and then on the show, I feel like it looks like they just smashed like cherries and raspberries into my face, like everything's magenta.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, Also, the bruises looked gnarly, like the color of bruises like fresh fresh like that. They look really bad. So it was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was pretty gross. I remember Rocky and I are our wonderful makeup artists who did all the special effects stuff, going through like books of photos of actual bruises and like injuries.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember you had that book.
Speaker 5: That was it was.
Speaker 2: He used to take those photos and people would send them to him. It was like a literal pick flip through a picture book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like special effects makeup artists would trade photos and for years after we did this episode, anytime I would get hurt or like see someone with a bruise, I'd be like, can.
Speaker 4: I take a picture of that? And I'd text it to Rocky game I did too, for like tell people at home who Rocky was. Like. For years we had two female makeup artists on our show because it was a very chick heavy show. But by season six we had two male makeup artists. Yeah, we had Tim and Rocky different as night and day.
Speaker 2: The beauty makeup on this show looked amazing too. By the way, on this episode, which I was like, wow, Tim is all over this. You could just see it. I mean, Hillary, your skin was flawless like all of our I felt like my skin was glowing like it never had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your ie makeup was tight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys are so creative.
Speaker 4: No Rocky since working with us in Tree Hill has gone on to win so many awards. He just did the Fall of the House of Usher that everyone's raving about.
Speaker 5: So cool.
Speaker 4: He's like done everything. He's the special he's the special effects guy. But how he ended up doing beauty makeup on one Tree Hill was beyond us because he's like this dude with a mustache and a shaved head, pretty goth, and we were all like, I mean, okay, We're like, hey dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the sweetest though. He just had such a sweet, like happy disposition, you know, just.
Speaker 3: Like wide eyed and so soft spoken.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's something so charming to me about men that are that physically big, like that could be intimidating. Who come in real gentle and talk to you like this and you just know, oh hi, you know things? You know secrets, don't you.
Speaker 4: It looks so good though, and I I don't know, I just I can't say that I didn't like this episode, but I just had a pit in my stomach the whole time, And then it dawned on me that when this originally aired, people had to wait a whole week with this ball of like anxiety in their throat. How why do we do that to people? That's cruel, brutal.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's why we like to binge watch shows now?
Speaker 5: Just to calm down?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, who's gonna go to work tomorrow after watching this episode and be like, no, I have.
Speaker 5: Great week now?
Speaker 2: No I'm not okay?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's tell the fans what it is, because we really dove in y'all were talking about episode six oh two, one million billionth of a millisecond on a Sunday morning. The synopsis is that after Lucas and Peyton enjoy planning their dream wedding, Brook and Peyton reconnect, Nathan works with Quinn. By the way, it wasn't your dream wedding, you bailed on it, but we'll get there. Block and Peyton reconnect. Nathan works with Quinnon on his basketball skills, but Hayley is worried for Nathan's well being and reeling from a threat to her store. Brooke reaches out to an unexpected ally. The punctuation in this synopsis is all over the place. Jamie catches Antoine and Deb kissing. Oh boy, did I like that part?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right, kids, where do we want to even begin?
Speaker 2: This was a weird episode because it was so much lightheartedness and then so much really, really really over the top and tense drama at the same time. And we were bouncing back and forth. And I don't know if I were a writer in that room, if I would have known how to do any better. But I felt what you were saying, Hillary, I really wanted to like this episode, and I felt like I did, but there was so much back and forth it was hard for me to stay on top of.
Speaker 4: It occurred to me. I remember having a conversation with our boss that he was super into Sons of Anarchy, like that's what he felt he should be writing that kind of content. And I'm watching that kind of like darkness sift in to our show. And I mean, we're all influenced by things that we watch in our free time. I mean, as actors, we do that in our performances. We're like, oh, that's cool. I want to put that in my bag of tricks. This is another show infiltrating ours and it's the exact the opposite end of the TV spectrum, right, Like I'm trying to think, like what other mash up with one Tree Hill could have been more awkward? Sons of an anarchy in Tree Hill? If a motorcycle gang comes through to beat up anyone else? Uh, do we think that dude was in in the suns, the.
Speaker 2: Guy that killed Quenton?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was definitely in a bike gang.
Speaker 2: Yeah behavior Yeah, okay, So maybe I've forgotten or I'm missing it. When Quentin looked up and saw that he was there and said, have a nice night. Why was Robbie so sorry? Why was Quentin so freaked out? Like how did he know something bad was happening to him?
Speaker 3: Because he saw the guy like likely dead, there's a bloody body, like in the back of the behind the counter.
Speaker 2: I stepped out of the room for a second. I was finishing up my makeup, and then I walked in. I was like, wait, what, Okay, so he saw something he shouldn't have seen.
Speaker 4: So we're bookended by all this violence, Like we see Brooke getting beat up again in the recap, and then we've got violence again at the end, and it does make it hard to enjoy the middle of the sandwich. But what were our favorite parts of this Tree Hill Sandwich? Like you said, the Jamie, the Jamie Ketcheen skills and deb at the top of the episode.
Speaker 5: Brilliant, So good sony.
Speaker 4: Do people just kiss all the time?
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: Just cringing watching her tell him his reality is not real. No, that is not what you saw. It's absolutely not true. He's like, because I think it'd be great. Well, okay, I guess it's all right then.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There's so many like bait and switches with skills in this episode where he thinks Hayley's onto him in the beginning, where she's like, I know why you're here, and Antoine has such an earnest look on his face. His performance in this episode was so great because he's funny, but there's a there's a puppy dog quality to Antoine's eyes when they go real soft and you're like, oh, he wants Haley to know, like he wants to be found out so that the secret can be enjoyed, and just like great, like we're together, we're a real couple, not a sneaky couple anymore.
Speaker 2: I love that Antoine is so he was so earnest and it felt like he wasn't playing for the camera those moments of comedy when it's real and it's not but I'm like, set up, set up joke. He's just completely in his body and just one little look cracked me up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was also just so much fun to see over and over again that that sort of moment, you know, the inhale when you wonder if you're caught, and it's nice to see Antoine having that again and again with you and with Nathan, and like it just keeps coming and it's so I don't know, the payoff feels bigger because it ties through the whole episode. Sometimes on shows where we have this many cast members, people get one scene to process something. And I love that they're really making a meal of this for Antoine and Barbara because the materials just so good and they really are just so like you said, Joy, they're in their bodies, they're present, they're funny, and it is a delight.
Speaker 5: To watch.
Speaker 4: Well him in the stands with Nathan, you know, like Haley's almost found him out. And then let's talk about breakfast, like breakfast, come on, let's talk about breakfast. And then Nathan is all like, dude, are you sneaking around with some hot chick that you're not telling us about? And it's like, oh god, somebody just say it. And the child knows. The child knows, child knows, and he's taunting Uncle skills God pass.
Speaker 2: And later in the episode when that Deb's like, I've been having sex and then Haley's like she's been having sex on Nathan's face. Oh gross, mom, hilarious. I can't wait for this payoff. I'm really excited, and I do I agree that I like that they're drawing it out. Yeah, that was one of my favorites. I loved. I loved also Barbara and Brooke Sorry, Deb and Brooke. I loved the just sort of the unlikely partnership of and Brooke needing a mom in that moment and Debs showing up to be a mom. It felt like it could not have been more perfect relationally, like that's exactly what she needed.
Speaker 4: Baby, you had to go so dark in this storyline and you know you're not funny at all, which is you know, that was how Brooke came in. She I'm the comedic relief. You know, what did you have to do for this because I'm so you're looking at like bruise books of other battered women with Rocky. Yeah, you know what was the process it?
Speaker 3: You know, it's really interesting and god, it feels so heavy to look back at. You know, we've all talked about this, how our characters did so many adult things at such young ages that we had to guess. You know, Joy, I remember you talking about that when Haley and Nathan have Jamie and being like, I don't know what it's like to have a kid. You know, it's interesting to look at this as women who are forty having had versions of experiences with violence. I just hadn't had that at this age yet, and so it was a strange thing of having to try to find material to watch. Like two, I remember watching like old episodes of Intervention and listening to people who were talking about addiction, talking about how that was a byproduct of violence. Finding articles to read and you know, sources of people's real experience and it did. It felt so heavy to kind of hold all these stories I'd collected for this episode that I think you can at least looking at it. I sort of feel that transference, like I know there's something real behind this, even though at the time I felt like it was other people's stories I was telling. And it's strange. It's like, even listening to myself talk, I'm like, oh my god, I sound different. Like the heaviness of it feels like it like weighed down on my voice. It's bizarre how that stuff can kind of get in you.
Speaker 4: I think I could feel like the pressure on you in this because at this point we'd already done all the psychoederic stuff, and we had already had fans approach us on the street and say I've been assaulted in real life, and watching you guys do this is helping me process like what happened in my life. And so it's one thing when you shoot that and you don't have that fan response in your head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't know what.
Speaker 4: You're like, I'm just telling a story. But once that gets in your head and you're like, no, I'm telling someone at home's story and if I fuck it up, like it's going to hurt their healing process.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I just feel like all the distance and weight and responsibility on you in this episode because it's uncomfortable. It was just uncomfortable to watch because it felt real and like, I don't like the distance between Peyton and Brook. That made me uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not used to seeing Brook in that space at all.
Speaker 3: No, and that awkwardness between us when you come home and you have all this happiness and I have to cover it is it's so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Was it hard for you to come out of that at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just remember how dark this whole period felt. And I will say one of the things that was really helpful was having the process of getting out of the prosthetics at the end of the night, because it takes a long time. They have to put solution on and they have to start dissolving and you know, they're sealed into your skin. So like the removal process took over an hour, and so there was something that I had to learn to do mentally, where like literally watching Rocky take all that stuff off my face and participating in the removal of it had to be like I have to take this off and leave it here. I have to try to leave this at work, but it does you know, it's the weird part of our jobs. I think it gets in your body. And when you start to learn about you know, somatic work, and you go through a version of this and you do research and work on trauma, like you understand that even if if something happens to your physical body.
Speaker 4: If you get tackled by a man, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like it happens to your brain.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so it what we do, even though it's quote unquote pretend leaves like real scars and it's wild, you know when you think about it. Nobody talked to us about this stuff back then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cheryl Lee. Cheryl Lee told me back then, and I didn't know what the hell she was saying. Wo. We were doing so much crying, and she was she was so clear. She was like, it's not real, but your body thinks it's real. Okay, so your brain is like okay, it was just my job. Fine, it's stuck in you. And I was just like, what is she talking about? But now you know, because we've got all these books, yeah, gests some things to help us. Now.
Speaker 2: I did a pilot and there was a sequence where in the show, it was a sequence where you showed my character and she was coming home with a different guy every few nights. Or she was just having fun living in the city. But we had to shoot all of those sequences in the same day, and so I spent seven out six seven hours in a day doing all this kind of intense sexual stuff with all like up against a window with no shirt, laying in bed, rolling around pretending like I'm screened, some guy in a staircase. It was all of these moments, one after another with all these different guys, and I was just thinking, like, yeah, whatever, it'll be a day. It's gonna be like, hey, maybe it'll be fun, you know. And I got home and my boyfriend was like, I wanted to cuddle. I was like, you cannot touch me. I feel so this is so unnatural for me, and I just had. I got in the shower, I just had. I was like I had to cry it out. I was like, don't touch me for like a day. I just need. It's weird. And I just thought, Oh, it'll be nothing. We're just acting, and it should be. It should shouldn't be a thing, you know, But it's weird. It gets in your body, it really does.
Speaker 4: Maybe it just gets in our head because it's the idea that it could happen, right it's like this person picked me up and vaulted me. And I didn't know that I could be vaulted, and clearly I can, Like I did Secret Life of Bees where Paul Betty beats the out of me. In front of it was Barbara Allenwood's daughter. It was her daughter who was playing little Dakota Fanning hiding in the closet. Was she there for that? Yes, oh my yes, because you see through us to her in the poset, and so they had two different little girls playing the little girl in the closet, and so it was Barbara's daughter for half the time. And that's a child that knows me, watching me get hurt, and it's all pretend, but it didn't feel pretend because it felt like I have to go protect this little girl from this, you know, this reality that we don't want her to think could ever happen, you know, like it was just so it's such a weird, dumb job. It sounds stupid to complain about it because it's our job, right, but it also just kind of messes with your reality, and well, the reality of brook in this is just like I feel like deb in this where I'm sick to my stomach, and I'm like, kid, whatever you want, you want a gun, We'll get you. Like, whatever you want, I will get for you in this moment.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting though, like I get your I get the instinct to be like, it sounds so silly, it's our job. Why would we complain about it? But I do think we just happen to be in a moment in like the learning of what it is to be human now than it was ten years ago, let alone twenty years ago. We know more about what happens to your body, what happens to your brain, what imprints on you, And I do think I think it's part of the reason that we're having these sort of reckonings in our industry and in so many industries, and people are like, wait a second, what is required to do a job?
Speaker 4: What are our boundaries? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And also how would we do it differently? Like I think about this a lot, and I'm like, you know, if we were in charge of a bunch of twenty year olds on a show like Hours, I'd want to make sure we had therapists on set during episodes like this. I want to make sure, you know, people were like doing some sort of a stretch class on their lunch break, like to get this stuff out of their bodies. But nobody taught us that.
Speaker 2: Then, no, we didn't know to ask for Artists are just supposed to shut up and suffer well.
Speaker 3: And then you go, maybe this is the reason that everybody winds up with, like since abuse problems, like everyone's.
Speaker 4: Drinking so hard. Yeah, so that means be gentle to teen drama actors. You guys, you know, just nice to each other. That said, you did a beautiful job and it should have been unnerving. And I remember it being important to you that Brooke looked terrible and not sexy. Yes, Like there's a there's a trend in some TV shows where it's like I got punched, but it's a sexy punch that split my lips, so I've got a pout. Yeah, no sexy bruises here. These were gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was upsetting. I even I didn't love you know, there's like a scene where I'm in like boy shorts and a tank top and you see all the bruises on the arms and legs and stuff in bed in the morning, and I didn't want to do that. I was like, I don't think we need I don't want her to be in like cute little pajamas, but they were like, well we got to see the bruises, so like, yeah, do you want to be in small pajamas in bed or do you want us to like shoot a scene of you in the shower. And I was like, well, that's off the table, so I guess it'll be pajamas in the bed.
Speaker 2: But they could have had you laying in bed with sweatpants that were pulled at like one leg was up high because you were sleeping, and as you pull the sweatpants down, you see all the bruises on your leg. Like there's ways to get around that. But I was less offended.
Speaker 4: By you being in bed in your underwear because it meant that you were just like locked in your space and you knew that you weren't coming out and no one else was coming in. Then I was the first scene where we saw you in this episode where you're in a silky blouse and a mini skirt like Brooke Davis like got dressed in the day after getting beat up. Well, those are the clothes I got beat up in. They are Yeah, that was the.
Speaker 3: Outfit I was in at Closeover bros. And I'm like, whatn't the first thing you do when you come home to get out of these clothes?
Speaker 2: But yeah, sweatpants like hide.
Speaker 4: Your shirt was like ripped, and yeah, I just know Davis needs to be in like the biggest T shirt ever. Yeah. Also, I'm very angry with Peyton Sawyer this episode because she comes in the house. I'm furious with Paytser. She comes in the house and gets a dumb story about Brook falling down the stairs and Brooke has clear handprints on her neck, Like that's bad friend zone, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Peyton's on cloud nine. She just can't see.
Speaker 3: It's gotta love goggles on. They're like beer goggles, only the red ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's that handprint on your neck? Is that where you grabbed yourself when you were falling down the stairs.
Speaker 3: So that's how you kept yourself from breaking your neck. You're so smart.
Speaker 2: Just I have a question though, do we think that Brooke knew I mean the fact that her designs were stolen? Did you decide that you knew ahead of time, like right away that this was something Victoria had set up, or like, why else would your designs be stolen right in the moment when she had been threatening that exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's that's the idea, right, is that she thinks the at least I remember the sort of like character motivation for me in that scene with Deb when she is being maternal. You know, you have these two sort of broken women who don't know how to do this. When Deb is like, we've got to call the cops, honey, that's why Brooke says no, yeah, because to her, she's thinking, my mom hired someone to come in and steal from me, and I was here late and I got my ass beat, and I'm not going to let her win, Like I'm not going to cause this pr nightmare for myself and then have everyone find out my own mom did this to me.
Speaker 5: So she knows.
Speaker 2: So she knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what she thinks anyway.
Speaker 5: Like she knows.
Speaker 3: It adds, I think to a layer of that like detac because for her, she's thinking, like, truly, the thing my mom cares most about is the business and the money, and it it adds, I think to that darkness. And it's interesting that Deb, you know, Deb doesn't see it. She would never think that Peyton doesn't think anything's wrong. I wouldn't tell her, so that this sort of covering that she's doing I think added some of that heaviness you were talking about.
Speaker 4: Hell well, speaking of goggles, where is everyone in the town? Close over? Bros is made entirely of windows, and everyone's walking by this mess and no one's like problem here in the.
Speaker 3: Heart of downtown, and everyone's like DIRP to DIRP to dirr dir.
Speaker 2: And it's so obvious that Peyton's not going to know within and everybody had the way that news in tree Hill travels so fast to everybody all over the fact that Peyden doesn't know already, hasn't heard, and the Brook's trying to keep it from her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fact that no one knows this, it's so bizarre, you guys. There was a restaurant in Wilmington that got busted up. I was about I knew it got so they smashed the plate glass window in the front of the restaurant and then they broke in and they busted up the entire wine collection in this restaurant. Oh yeah, you guys, we knew about it with him forty five minutes of that happening. The entire town knew because you went, you walked by it. You drove past, you know, like it was. It was in a hustle and bustle area, and so the idea that everyone just walking past that mess and close over rows.
Speaker 2: There's not enough shot, Like nobody's coming in to shop. The door is open, she left it unlocked because Dev walks right in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Samantha there. I did.
Speaker 2: I did love though, to continue on with Peyton.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: I do love seeing Peyton happy. It's nice after after everything.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't it make you feel a little sad because she's just so eager, like it's your most eager baby energy of just like he finally loves me, He finally loves me. Right, Okay, I started right now. She's like, I'm not going to say no to anything. You want to move in, cool, You want to get married somewhere else, that's cool too. You like sandwiches. I like sandwiches too.
Speaker 2: Like it is such.
Speaker 4: Strong yes man energy, which like, I love it. Fine, I'm totally okay with it, especially for a young person that's been dealt such a Shand.
Speaker 3: You know what's killing me as you say this, as I'm realizing it's runaway bride and reverse.
Speaker 4: Already run and run and run and run, and now she's like, whatever.
Speaker 5: Kind of eggs you want?
Speaker 4: I like those too, Let's go yeah strong, yes man energy, Uh, which.
Speaker 2: Is But I'm a little like I was, So it's strange for me to adjust to Peyton and Lucas finally being together. Actually, as I'm watching it, I'm like, it's hard for me to believe that it's real and it's finally happening. I'm so used to him, you know, digging around with other.
Speaker 4: People, taking out well, and that they're actually like gonna live together, and it never occurred to me that they never had, Like them being in this hotel room is the first time they're like living together, yeah, and just spending all day together because she left right after high school. So that's right, that was weird. But lesson here is when you finally get the thing that you wanted and have fun. Man, if he wants to jump on the bed, jump on the bed.
Speaker 2: Jump on the bed, great shot with those cactuses behind you. I really loved that choice of art.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I just thought it looked so great. We were jumping on that bed for seven hours in the duration of this episode, because we're jumping on the bed, and then you guys go to school, and then there's basketball practice, and then smother happens at the end of the school and you're jumping on the bed. M yeah, man, this is how I paid my mortgage jumping on the bed.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm not unhappy with it, Jamie.
Speaker 2: It was cute though, the back and forth between you guys and Jamie jumping on the bed, it was very sweet.
Speaker 4: Well, and then you delivering like the Moira line like Hailey was also, it was really good place in this episode.
Speaker 2: She was very Karen in this episode yeare yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which just made it that much like weirder that everyone else was. The throes of terror, Dan included, Hailey and Peyton are just like do do do do do? Tree Hill's awesome. That's what I think is So.
Speaker 3: The episode gives me a little bit of whiplash because I am enjoying watching you guys so much. I am loving the Jamie and Quinton storyline. I love learning more about Quentin, the fact that he wants to be a dad, he has a little brother, Robbie. He's just God, He's so alive and beautiful. And and then you've got Brooke and Dan in like the Seventh Circle of Hell, and I'm just like, shouldn't we have maybe done a two parter for this?
Speaker 4: Is just should they have been split? Maybe It's like the cockroaches and it's just a lot like, am I supposed to laugh? Am I supposed to cry?
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to cringe?
Speaker 5: Am I?
Speaker 4: Oh? No? Man?
Speaker 2: How am I supposed to feel right now? Although I did really, really really love Dan finally speaking and telling her brand sucks and a lashing at her, Yeah, that was kind of great.
Speaker 5: It was really great.
Speaker 3: Her realizing what the Beeper's for was great. But yeah, it just you couldn't settle in either the joy or the fear for long enough, so it was really it was like getting rattled around.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wanted a roller coaster of like ups and downs. We were a little bit smooth and flowed together, and instead we just had like elevator drops, like Tower of Terror. There's the name of this episode, Tower of Terror. Yeah, the the Nanny Carey stuff felt to me like we just really loved Tory and wanted to keep Tory around at any cost because it is so unhinged and I'm confused still, while why Dan couldn't talk for like a long time, and it's just kind of like Frankenstein's Monster, like, but then once he starts talking, it's like he doesn't stay Yeah, yeah, he's just really on a roll. What is the physical injury that kept him from talking? I don't know. I guess just being hit by a car.
Speaker 3: He had some I remember her saying like, ooh, you can't talk, like you know something about your neck from that.
Speaker 4: Like oh you remember?
Speaker 3: It was like a really weird line of exposition.
Speaker 2: Was like don't try and talk, you can't, you won't be able to You're yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Paul did Paul have like a.
Speaker 2: Did he did he have laryngitis or something like why wouldn't I guess maybe they could have just written it in. I just assumed that maybe he couldn't speak for some reason.
Speaker 3: I think they just wrote it in because they wanted this sort of payoff. But to it's one of those things whereas an actor, like you read that and you go off because they go you can't talk because you have a crush injury to your neck from getting run over, and you're like, do I because my neck looks the same because I didn't actually get run over and people are going to watch this and think I look like an idiot, and like it's like I could see and there's Paul. He does he commits to the bit, and he did it so well and he played it so hard. And then when he finally.
Speaker 4: Speaks, like his voice is going back. He's so committed and he's so good and is.
Speaker 3: Viewer, you're like, his neck looks the same as it did when he was like out working out in season five when he was healthy. He's fine, he's fine, but you have to suspend the disbelief.
Speaker 4: The thing that broke the damn for Dan Scott was when she's like lording over him and she says something about like too bad you're not young and hot, and the look on Paul's face was like, we both know that's not true. Like he looked at her like we know, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's greatd just face acting now, I know you're full of shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm so good looking. He's so good looking.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: The look on his face when she threw the beeper against the wall, though, that really got me the realization that, oh, now I actually can't even get my heart transplant if I needed to because I won't know and it was a split second. It happened so fast. Just he's always fine in the little nuggets everywhere. Also, why Toy and I have the exact same haircut and color. Yeah, it's kind of funny. Well maybe she did that on purpose to try and lord Jamie, she.
Speaker 4: Was trying to seduce your husband. Yeah, yeah, single white female. Yeah. The Dan stuff, we see that he like slips his hand through that little brace, so we know that he's gonna plot and escape soon. There was a ray of sunshine and that is the ray of sunshine in this whole episode that Dan Scott our bad guy for the last.
Speaker 3: Gonna get away.
Speaker 4: He's going to escape from a worst bad guy. Christ we have sunk solo.
Speaker 5: We sure have.
Speaker 4: Antoine and Deb's moment. Yes, their first real conversation. Yeah, loved it. That was silver line.
Speaker 2: That was so Antoine too. That's the kind of advice he would actually give.
Speaker 5: He's really good like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And it is such a nice thing to hear out loud, because we are a show that talks about feelings a lot and friends rely on each other a lot, but to actually have someone voice she called you for a reason. She respects you. She probably thinks you're the one person who understands what she's going through. I can't explain why that made me so emotional, but I was like, oh my god, that is why people call you and ask for your help, because you really have trust. Like it made me feel so emo.
Speaker 4: It was the respect line that got me because the same thing got me because Deb has been shown by everybody. She's been by her husband, by her son. Hailey's shown her and told her how irresponsible she is. She's been shown by Karen, her business partner. She knows that she has had lows, and she has not made excuses. She's just tried to show up in a different way. And this is the first moment that anyone is saying to her, I respect you and what you've been through.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such a great point. I love that you saw that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's the actions, you know, Like there's plenty of characters in our show that say I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean too and then they do the same shit over and over again. Deb did a lot of awful stuff, and she just changed. It was her actions that said I'm sorry. It was her actions that said you deserve better. I'm going to be different for you. And so now she's the lady that shows up and makes breakfast for her grandson. Yeah, great, drives them to school.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find it within me to feel like it's weird that Deb would be dating skills, but I have to say, like, it really works for me.
Speaker 4: Did we think it was weird when we were in our twenties, because now in our forties we're Deb's like we're Deb's exact age. Yeah, now I don't think it's weird at all. Now I think it's like, get it. But did we think it was weird at that age.
Speaker 2: I think we thought it was scandalous.
Speaker 4: But I think I even liked it back then. It was just such a good match. Yeah, I'm trying to make I don't remember having a problem with it. I just thought it was funny. And no, I don't think it's funny now. I think it's hot. And also we knew that like two people we loved very much. Behind the scenes, Antoine and Barbara were having a great time like that made it fun for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, those were always fun days at work, they were freaking hoot.
Speaker 4: Well, the next heart to heart, the Brook and Peyton heart to heart. I'm still mad that Brooke is laying there in Peyton's lap and she's still not seeing the handprints on her friend's neck. So dumb. But this conversation where Brooke is just really like I don't believe in karma, that whole thing.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like I liked this conversation. They're actually talking about something real, and it just made me mad that Peyton got up and moved the next day, Like your friend is clearly laying in your lap being like I'm in a bad place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is uncharacteristic of Peyton, it is.
Speaker 3: It all feels a little forced. But I will say I think Brooke is isolating so intensely, like in a way, I feel like she was kind of pushing you out.
Speaker 4: Sure, but your job as the friend is to be like not so fast. Yeah, I see what you're doing here, especially for Peyton who's been through so much trauma and like knows that bag of tricks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: If anyone was going to recognize signs, ye should be Peyton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was the gist? Of that dialogue that you guys were taught. I'm like, I remember seeing the scene, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Peyton is thanking Brook. She's like, Brook, I just want to thank you. Like Peyton's in a good place and she's like, you gave me a place to live, you help me with this record label. You are my person, Like, thank you so much. Brooke keeps like making jokes like she made the Lindsay joke earlier in the episode, like blaming her injuries on a fistfight with Lindsay. Right, she just keeps deflecting in a way that should be a big, huge red flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heaviness that's on her definitely something that feels like it should be acknowledged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the glossing over it definitely feels like a weird writer choice, and I remember that we didn't love it at the time, but you know, you have to shoot what's on the page. But I think it's interesting because you know, when you're when you're going through all the thank yous, in that sort of odd heaviness, you offer that you are a really good person. Brooke Davis Line and Joy Brooks.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: My Brooks response is, well, what do I get out of it, you know. And that's when we get into the whole thing about good karma and I don't believe in karma and I don't want to talk about it, and and then we hit that you know, what do you believe in justice? M hm, which I was like, well that was interesting foreshadowing for my own life. Fellow, same and it's.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 3: It does sort of cause this like sense of foreboding. You know something's coming, and it is an odd thing I would imagine, you know, for you Hill, as the other actor in the scene, to just have to pretend that you don't feel it.
Speaker 4: Right, just like yeah, makes you feel stupid, you know, like, oh, my friend's being incredibly cryptic and her face is destroyed anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm getting married almighty.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: That said, I appreciate the physicality in the scene because that was doing the work that the words weren't. Like, when you see two people laying together and playing with each other's hair, that is a form of intimacy, that's a sisterhood, that is just a deep relationship that words can't necessarily convey. And so I do remember you and I being like, how do we make this loving? Because it feels very disconnected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Brooks trying to be there for Peyton too and be supportive and be you know, happy for her and give her what she needs so that she can keep deflecting the attention off of herself.
Speaker 4: Well, because Hailey delivers the line and the scene right before, like only miserable people destroy someone else's happiness or.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: It was the only people that tear happy people down are unhappy are unhappy people.
Speaker 4: And Brooke is not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Nope, she shan't stoop, she won't do it.
Speaker 4: But what a weird thing for Haley to have to say, you delivered it great.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, I mean, I don't know, I mean, I guess it's true. But yeah, they always script it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny whenever these scripts would come in, and sometimes you get these lines that were just.
Speaker 5: So these.
Speaker 2: Pragmatisms, know what are they called platitudes. They would put the platitudes in and you just have to find a way to make it real. We're just going to put in some of the themes from this episode or some of the personal beliefs of the writers and sell it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, somebody's like relaying a message here, or it would just be such an unnatural line and you'd want to change it, and they're like, I'm so sorry. We already shot the previous scene where we echo those words again, and so you just have to suck it up. I hate that. I wanted to go first. The one thing that felt very real was all the Haley Nathan stuff, like Nathan working his ass off and trying to make a comeback, and this whole like doctor situation between you two, Like all I felt really dialed in. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I like seeing them in a position where they're comfortable and enjoying each other and enjoying this space where they're being mentors and things finally feel settled. They've got a system working so that they can both go to work, they can both feel like they can both be involved with Jamie's life and also find personal fulfillment. It's a really nice little system that they've got going on. But of course, no one and in tree Hill can remain happy for long, so there's always going to be new things. But yeah, I agree, it's really nice to see that, and I love I just love seeing Nathan get back on the basketball court and going for it again and just having fun and watching all those guys play play ball. I really love it whenever that's a part of our show because it really was the core of how the show started, was just watching the interactions, the communication, that interpersonal dynamics that are happening on the court as a reflection of what's happening in real life. And you could see it all play out. And we did get away from basketball for a while, so it's nice to It's always nice when they bring it back in.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: And James seems so happy out there, Like James the person that we know just lights up in a different way.
Speaker 2: And playing with Robbie too though, because the two of them had so much fun together. Robbie was always so fun to work with and had so much energy. I mean, what you see on the show is very much who he is person well, and I.
Speaker 3: Think also just on a technical level, the fact that he was such a good basketball player, like James played circles around everyone for years, Yeah, and so to have someone he could exactly ball with, Like you can see how challenged they both are and like they're really sweating out on that court.
Speaker 4: Like they're playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really got to play and and having Jackson in on that mix and like that whole dynamic was just so sweet and it made things feel so real, even when you cut to you know, your house and Jamie's walking on Nathan's back, like people were, you know at that point, like begging Jackson to do that for them because everybody is playing so much basketball.
Speaker 4: So like it wound up in this script. Yeah, like it all just I don't know.
Speaker 3: It felt it felt so grounded in something real and and genuine, and I think it really comes through on screen in their dynamic.
Speaker 2: Why did we kill Quentin off so soon?
Speaker 3: Such a poor decision?
Speaker 2: What did he get another job? Like do we know what happened there? We're gonna have to ask Robbie we will.
Speaker 3: I think it was just the plan, and I think because it happened. But that's the thing I think because it happened so soon in the season, like we shot it before season six started airing, and I think everyone unanimously was like, oh, we've done a bad thing, Like we did.
Speaker 5: This too quickly.
Speaker 3: I think it was really in the outline of the season and what that death was going to.
Speaker 2: Mean and what it was going to do to everyone, and they totally miss calculated how much people were going to fall in love with him, how charismatic he was, how powerful his arc was going from where he started into the place that he was. Even in this episode, you're just rooting for him so much. It's just I don't know, He's had so much more. I feel like he had so many more levels of us cheering for him to go to before they could rip the rug out from under us and have us be devastated like it was devastating now. But they could have milked that for a lot longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, Robbie could have stayed on the show.
Speaker 4: It comes down to representation in the room, right, because if we finally have a young black man who is succeeding on the show, and to shoot that guy, you know, it just felt like a tone deaf white man's decision. Yeah, And had we had some representation in the room, there could have been a voice in there that said, this is an important character to a number of kids who are watching this show, and they should see black joy. They should see like, you know, black success, because we are not showing a lot of that on our show. Our show has been criticized for its lack of diversity, and this was an opportunity that could have been golden. And I think Robbie did a beautiful job leading up into this like narrative tragedy. But I do think we did a disservice to our audience by killing him. And that could just be me talking because I think he's a naval actor, but yeah, I think we could have done better. Every black man we have on the show got put through hell. Antoine had to beg to be a series regular, right. Ernest Waddell, we've had him on the show and he talked about what a bad experience it was for him, and so that we lost Robbie also feels like another cheat. So when you hear people talking about representation in writers' rooms, it's exactly for things like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. It's such a shame ough And I'm glad there's been a lot of change since then. I feel like there's it's been so much improvement. But it's really sad to go back and watch our show and see things like that that it just wasn't It wasn't in the place it should have been.
Speaker 5: It's presure no.
Speaker 4: I mean, for Haley, it's the first time we're seeing Haley really true, he just gets an A plus. Come on, that was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's fun to see that.
Speaker 4: I feel like Debbie Downer for bringing it up, but I had to say it.
Speaker 3: No, it's really important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it affects the rest of Yeah, it just felt like they didn't know what else to do, so they just I mean, we really have hit the point in the show where I feel like they just didn't quite know what else to do, and so they just started creating all these random scenarios.
Speaker 4: I started punching people. I don't know what to do with this character. We should tie them up, we should hurt him?
Speaker 3: Who feed him cockroaches?
Speaker 5: Like really that's it? Oh my god.
Speaker 4: When Lucas tells Skills that Peyton is moving in, and Skills is like, do we want to have a drink? Or should I wait until you for post to procos to break, and then Jamie does the same to him. He's like, so Peyton's moving in? What happened to Lindsay? Were you with my mom?
Speaker 2: What about you know? Like I just need to understand this right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone's on Lucas's this episode.
Speaker 2: It actually is really fun listening to from a child's perspective, like, okay, wait, so you guys were together but then you broke up, but then you went with her, but then she went with this guy, and now you're with this person, and what.
Speaker 4: About that relationship?
Speaker 2: Just the simplicity of the way that a child would come in and look at the dynamic, the romantic dynamics on our show. It's really funny.
Speaker 4: Judge US.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're like, what were you doing?
Speaker 4: Okay? So what are our honorable mentions? I know what mine is, and it's a Nathan Haley thing, okay. And I wrote it down where Nathan and Haley are at the River Court and they're talking about that mason Boro game where he kicked ass and he's like, every shot I scored was like a pickup line for Hailey James and and he says, I played that game for you, Haley, and I would also like quit that game for you because I like being a husband and a dad so much more. I was just like, yes, sir, that was me.
Speaker 2: There is I had a flag in that scene. I was when we were watching because she says, the first time I ever saw you play was that game, and I'm like, what they grew up in the same town. Lucas and Haley have been best friends. How in the world is that the first basketball game she's ever seen Nathan play? I mean surprised that nobody caught that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I guess not everybody went to basketball games. I'm trying to think.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that like a big deal that no one ever, that you guys never went because Lucas didn't play, and then once he got on the team.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know, I don't know. I just it just rang in my ear. I heard it, and I was like, wait, I don't know, I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: Did it make you feel the same way it made you feel that no one checked on close Over Bros. When the store had been decimated in the middle of downtown.
Speaker 4: What are these tree hillers doing?
Speaker 5: Do it feels?
Speaker 2: Fish deb gets my honorable mention. I thought she just totally shined shown. I don't know, she was fabulous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mine is for Robbie.
Speaker 4: I just I loved it.
Speaker 3: Every single thing he did in this episode.
Speaker 5: I loved so much.
Speaker 3: And obviously I knew what was coming this season. I didn't realize it was in the second Frickin' episode and he when he parked his car at that gas station, I screamed no, like and I was like, oh boy, that was a lot. That was a lot that just came out of my body.
Speaker 4: He really just.
Speaker 3: Affected me so much. And I'm I'm still sad about it.
Speaker 2: That's awful. Okay, guys, Patricia is asking us, did any of your parents try to discourage you from getting into acting?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did you?
Speaker 4: Well, your parents knew about it, Like, your parents lived in LA they knew what that life was like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Hillary, if you and I parents actually knew what that really entailed.
Speaker 4: My parents put me into classes when I was three years old. I got put in these like little modeling actor classes as a toddler, and I was told my whole life that they did all this and made all these sacrifices because I announced at two and three years old that I wanted to be an actor. And then when I had kids, and it was like, and these kids both have actors as parents, they had no an idea two and three years old what an actor was. So yeah, I was sold a bag of false information. No, it was my parent's whole plan. Wow, which is probably why I'm having this like latent life rebellion where I'm like, I'm not gonna do it anymore. Yeah, I think kids should arrive at this on their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so your parents did, They were like, don't do it.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is like we didn't. We didn't have like any actors in our family, like any attachment. But you know, with my with my dad's photography business, like it's a weird thing to be adjacent to an industry, right, Like my dad is certainly a visionary, he is certainly an artist. And to be clear, like when you're the photographer, like you're also the hired help, Like you're not the in the scenario where like we all know how hierarchies can go on sets, like you're not the talent, like you're the person capturing the talent. And so it's a really interesting thing like to sort of see both sides of something, like to be close to it but to still be in the like employee zone, like you know when people talk about what we do and they're like, well below the line, like the crew whatever, all of which we like to set fire to. But I think what was interesting for my parents was like just sort of seeing the churn in the business, and especially because of photography, like I think the way that so many women like can be treated or used by the business. My parents were just like, oh, absolutely not. And I you know, I also grew up like my dad immigrated here in the seventies. My mom's mom came through New York wor like on a boat from Italy. There's like classic immigrant mentality in my house of like you can be a doctor or a lawyer, or a lawyer or a doctor, like those are your options. And I was like, well, I'm going to be a doctor. And my parents were like, you are very argumentative about social justice. Are you sure you don't want to be a lawyer?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then like I did a play and was like I think I want to go to theater school and my parents were just.
Speaker 4: Like, what the fuck. I don't know, that's not like a real thing.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they had like talks about it my freshman year in college and they were just apparently my dad was like, oh, Maureen, calm down, she's too smart. She'll be bored.
Speaker 4: She'll grow out of it, she'll grow out of it.
Speaker 2: Little did they know how smart you have to be to be an actor and to be a good as good as you are, you have to be little did they know?
Speaker 3: And then when I transferred and decided to do like theater and journalism, they were like, see, she's going to get a real job. And then I just became an activist actor and here we are.
Speaker 4: And here we are, the real job, working out real Well, sorry, mom, you you were like actually working working work from a young age. I was.
Speaker 2: So we did have performance in my family. And my grandfather was on Broadway and he was a stage manager and also an actor on Broadway. My grandmother grew up doing theater and did tons and tons of shows.
Speaker 4: My mom's mom's mom, like.
Speaker 2: My great grandma left the home, left home at nineteen to join the circus literally literally, So we do have all this family history and in art and entertainment. My skipped a generation with my folks. They both were like not interested at all in being on stage or having any Yeah.
Speaker 4: But your dad does the same thing. Like as actors, we diagnose like people's trauma and that's like your dad does that accounts with addiction he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he helps with drug and alcohol rehabilitation and also has been a counselor and worked in a lot of mental health facilities.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I had kind of had a wild childhood, just experiencing so many different kinds of personalities and lives, just all the ways, all the ways people lived in so many different environments, which definitely fueled the fire and being an actor because I was just so interested in people and all the quirks and the ways that people ticked and worked. And I saw so much variety because we moved around a lot too, so I wasn't even like stuck in a bubble.
Speaker 4: It was really great.
Speaker 2: But sorry tangent, but yeah, I think when I started, it really was just a hobby something. My parents were like, there's a there's a little theater school on the corner. Do you want to go do this? Since you don't really seem to care about sports.
Speaker 4: Soccer, do you want to do something? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then I just fell in love with it, and I don't think they knew enough to tell me, please, don't do this with your life.
Speaker 4: It's just so hard.
Speaker 2: And thank god they didn't because it's been amazing and it became a place I really loved. But now they didn't try and discourage me. They were happy to help and support my mother. God blessed when we moved to do when we moved to New Jersey, she drove me in and out of the city, you know, four or five days a week for voice lessons, dance classes, auditions, whatever it was. She just got a job that got her off at like two and she could just drive me into the city all the time. So they really made a lot of sacrifices to make it work. I'm glad it did.
Speaker 4: So cool. Yeah, yeah, thank you, Patricia. All Right, guys, are we gonna spin a wheel? Let's ladies, all right, we've got a most likely to have their own reality show? Tree Hill has a reality show? Is this a dance Scott?
Speaker 5: Dan Scott?
Speaker 4: Yeah too, I could see it was his a reality were a talk show? I had a talk show, all right, So who's got a reality show? Deep honestly, I think.
Speaker 3: Dev could start The Real Housewives of Tree Hill and I would watch And I don't watch any of those shows, but I'd watch her.
Speaker 4: Yes, m h, I'm on board for that. And also in real life, I would watch a show about Barbara and her daughters.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, why is that not on the air right now? No, But legitimately, someone needs to buy and sell, sell.
Speaker 4: And buy that they're such fantastic kids and they all have very different careers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine a family of four blondes where each one of them has such a distinct like niche and they're all so different, but they all are still like Halloween freaks. They just had their pumpkin coming party.
Speaker 5: I wish I've been.
Speaker 2: Able to go to that party.
Speaker 4: God, they're so cool. Yeah. Yeah, that's the show.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for hanging out, everybody.
Speaker 2: I will see you next week, episode three of season six, Get Cape, Wear Cape Fly, see ya. Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queens O t h.
Speaker 4: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time. We all about that high school drama.
Speaker 3: Girl Drama Girl all about them high school Queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic girl Sharing for the right teams. Drama Queenslease my girl, up Girl Fashion, what's your tough girl?
Speaker 2: You could sit with
Speaker 1: Us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens Drama, Queens Drama Drama, Queens Drama Queens