Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: F one could make a return to the African continent for the first time in more than thirty years, with the sport due to announce new host cities in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: One more race we need, and that's going to be Africa, you know, and all the other continents.
Speaker 2: And one out there. Rwanda and Morocco are among those believed to be vying for the license, but South Africa has made no secret of its ambition to bring F one back to the country.
Speaker 4: Lewis Hamilton, you said you had a dream to race in South Africa again. Understanding here to tell you we will not rest until your dream comes to realization that you will race again in South Africa.
Speaker 2: On this week's Next Africa Podcast, we look at who's bidding to bring back Formula one to Africa and investors and governments are so desperate to become part of the global phenomenon that is F one. I'm Jennifer's Abasaja and this is the Next Africa Podcast, bringing you one story each week from the continent driving the future of global growth with the context only Bloomberg can provide. Joining us this week is our Senior Africa reporter. That's Loney, Prince Lou Loney, thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 5: Appreciate here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So this is a fascinating story for I think people who are fans of Formula one, but even those who haven't been. But maybe we just start with the phenomenon that has been Formula one over the past few years.
Speaker 5: Can you talk about how big of a.
Speaker 2: Business it is in twenty twenty five and what you found in your reporting.
Speaker 1: For NAT one went from a very niche type of sports where it was like a few petrol heads, very European, to what we are seeing today in twenty five.
Speaker 3: As you ask, which is basically entertainment.
Speaker 1: Strapagan, you are seeing people one hundred and twenty five thousand people at a time attend these races. Revenue is three point four billion dollars a year. You have one point six billion people watching every race. Entertainment on the side VIP lounges. You have these young drivers that have a new fan base which is younger women.
Speaker 5: Hi guys and girls.
Speaker 3: It's a land alogue.
Speaker 1: A few days ago we put on socials for you to send us some questions today today that they answer all of those questions, So it's not just sort of like old guys watching the cause or small technicalities around the cause. It's really become more of an entertainment show. We've seen Badpa do, the New show if One. Netflix has quite a few Formula one shows running, So yeah, it went from a motorizing, sort of niche event to what we are seeing today, which is a big entertainment show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've really sort of capitalized on the fan base, especially with some of the shows that you mentioned.
Speaker 5: And when we think.
Speaker 2: About the last time I was here in Africa nineteen ninety three, which is surprising and I think for many people, but there's serious contenders who want to bring it back, and that's really gets to.
Speaker 5: The heart of your story. Can you talk about some of the people who you met and what they told you.
Speaker 1: There's quite a few characters around trying to bring back Formula one to Africa. As you said, nineteen ninety three were the only populated continent that doesn't have a race, but we have a track. We even had a world champion. Jodie Schickter at one.
Speaker 5: Point did not know that South African.
Speaker 1: South African, Yes, but now really like forty years on, so where are we now. We have two sort of cities that people are trying to pitch for. The one is Johannesburg with the old track Kyle Laumi that needs a few upgrades to get us to speak. The one kind it seems like a serious contended There is entertainment sort of promoter and it does some entertainment things like delicious festival on Carliami track already and you have the poche Ceo there that owns the track and so sounds like he will basically rent the track to whoever is the winner there on the johannes Bog side. But then we have a much more what some people would view as a much more iconic sort of destination, which is Cape Town, recently voted as the best city in the world by a Timeout magazine. You have the beautiful sort of table mountain and just all around sort of views Forday Robin Ireland, history of Nelson Mandela, so people view that as maybe an iconic sort of destination. There's two that we really went into a bit in the article. The one is a street race and that's being done by Telka, who's world renowned in terms of the sort.
Speaker 3: Of tracks that they build.
Speaker 1: You know, street tears might be difficult in capet On because it will lock up the city for quite a few weeks.
Speaker 3: But there is that proposal.
Speaker 1: And then there's a stadium outside of Cape Town that's being proposed. A new track, the Guard's Zing that actually owned Kyle Lamie in the eighties when the race was here, still here, when Formula one is still here. So these there is Bobby Hartsleeve, here's some US backers called Bounces Racing, and they seem very serious about what they want to achieve and they have interesting ideas on what they want to do there, like an Amphi theater, condominiums, things like that.
Speaker 2: So Lonie talk about maybe some of these proposals and the details you just said condominium. So they're looking to build an ecosystem around these.
Speaker 5: Tracks is what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So let's start with the old track, Ki Armie, as I said, from the sixties student nineties, we had the Formula one race here. So they still have the track. The track is well maintained, but it needs some upgrades. As we said, Formula one is now a show. You need one hundred and twenty five thousand seaters. Kyloms only fifty thousand seaters, so you need to expand. That is Johannesburg. But then we have Cape Town. Cape Town is seen as the more iconic venue. Liberty has said it wants an iconic venue. I mean, you know, you have Monaco, you have those sort of cities.
Speaker 3: Recently Madrid that has come online.
Speaker 1: So you want to sort of compete and show off what we have in Africa.
Speaker 3: So they are planning a.
Speaker 1: Track then outside of about eight or nineteen miles from his old track Kylomy. They are planning a track outside of Cape Town and worth that an ecosystem, as you said, so Amphi theater to have shows. You have condominiums where rich guys with nice cars can sort of buy a condominium and then race around on the track on the weekend if there's.
Speaker 3: No sort of races normal weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the plan for the track that's back by Bounder's race. And then this is the street race that is beautiful and goes around the mountain and all of that, but has its own sort of sets of challenges if you have to sort of lock up the city for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: So all of these plans sound like they will require a lot of funds, a lot of capital in order to get things going. Clearly, people who pay attention to you know, the coverage that we have. It's not a great time economically for the continent, for the globe, but even for South Africa.
Speaker 5: So how would these funds be raised? Where would the capital actually come from?
Speaker 1: So talking to the different people around this, most of the funds will be privately raised. When we spoke to for instance, the bounds is raising people. The attraction is the sort of yields that the returns that you can get on your investment in Cape Town versus more developed markets like a Europe or so you returns.
Speaker 3: Are quite good.
Speaker 1: The government, the South African government sports minister, he's really keen on this.
Speaker 3: He's a new sports minister and he's very keen.
Speaker 1: He's been talking to sponsors trying to raise the money for a licensing fee. It's anything from about twenty million dollars to about fifty million dollars. So he's trying to raise that initial funding around just getting the licensing fee to the bidders. But there's lots to go with it, including roach. You need public links, transport, most of the people are saying minimal direct investment from government, but you do need some investment from government.
Speaker 5: So the government is supportive of this.
Speaker 3: They want very supportive.
Speaker 1: In fact, the minister said he would have failed in his sort of portfolio if he doesn't bring Fortuna one back.
Speaker 2: That is the South African case that you just presented there. Let's take a quick break and come back and talk about some of the.
Speaker 5: Other bidders from the continent. We'll be right back. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking about hopes for Formula one to return to the continent of Africa. We have our Bloomberg Senior Africa reporter here, Loni Prince Lou who has just reported.
Speaker 5: On this story for Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: So LONEI we talked about the South African bids just before the break. If you can share some of the other bidders from across the continent that we know who are trying to also bid for this license.
Speaker 1: So there's been some talk about interest from Rocco. When we spoke to sources the Morocco interests, they doesn't seem as far advanced as what South Africa and Randa is trying. So then let's talk about Rwanda Rivana has hosted a recent event for Formula one in Kigali, so they look very as that the president has said several times. You know, they are interested in getting into the bidding for Formula one. They are said to have some Middle Eastern backers for what they would need to bring it, you know, your track and stuff as well the broad in the Austrian sort of track designer to look at a track and all reasons. Romana looks very serious about their efforts. They have a bit of trouble currently where you know, they're involved in a war with the with the Congo, so that that could play into it for them in the shorter term. No one says I think I can only have one race. Yeah, you have several races. So we'll see how all of this plays out.
Speaker 3: Currently, the bits or eyed for twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: More realistically, it could be actually twenty twenty eight, just because of the time it'll take to if you have a proposal that seems like it could work, the time to put in everything that you would need and you take that backwards is about two years.
Speaker 2: So then learning maybe you can share what actually comes into the final decision.
Speaker 5: What is it that the FIA. What is it that they're looking for.
Speaker 2: Is it what you said, you know, an iconic backdrop like Caketown. Is it something where you know they can build an ecosystem around it. What will be factored into the final decision?
Speaker 1: What goes into it is a bit of sort of political role from them. They did say quite a few times that they are willing to bring the Rise back to Africa, but it comes with these challenges. As we said, there's a lot of infrastructure that needs to come with us. You need the track, you need one hundred and twenty five thousand siters.
Speaker 3: You need to manage.
Speaker 1: The traffic that comes with all of that, You need to manage the security. It comes with all these famous drivers, and you know it's just catering fabric transport. Having an airport thirty minutes that's one of their requirements as well, having an airport thirty minutes from your track.
Speaker 3: So the list is quite extensive. I think it's more than three pages.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's a massive list of requirements that you need. And as we know Africa, you know we have some issues with limited infrastructure, but we've hosted the World Cup soccer before.
Speaker 2: Sold is away I think that's what many many people are hoping for, at least on the government side. We've talked for a while, and I think you mentioned this. F one has talked about coming back to the continent for a while. Lewis Hamilton is one of those who's been a big proponent of that. Actually he pitched it to former President Nelson Mandela and it didn't happen, right for various reasons. Does this actually seem like it could realistically happen?
Speaker 1: Realistically, it does look like it could potentially happen, But there's so many other interested parties.
Speaker 3: There's talent that sounds a good chance.
Speaker 1: I mean, and there's also limited races, only twenty four races, limited slots, lots lots of interest in hosting eras. South Africa has tried before quite recently, so there was twenty twenty in twenty twenty three that tried again and there was some sort of financial issues around renting the track. So hopefully everyone has sort of gone through the snacks that there is around it and this time around.
Speaker 3: You can make quite a serious proposal and get it back with it.
Speaker 1: That's like twenty twenty seven eight, but yoll get it ultimately have a raised.
Speaker 3: It's a spectacular show.
Speaker 1: It brings a lot of you know twitters to that hasn't seen many of our sides before.
Speaker 2: And that's our Bloomberg senior Africa reporter Lonely PRINCELYU there. Thanks so much, Lonie for joining us, and you can read Loney's coverage right now across Bloomberg platforms. Here's some of the other stories we're watching in the region this week. African countries are concerned that the US may withdraw military cooperation and aid, which has helped them fight against terrorists and rebellions. US military leaders and officials have expressed concerns about the potential withdrawal of aid, and some have hinted that it may not continue in its current form. And the US Attorney's Office in the District of Utah unsealed charges against four citizens accused of participating in a failed coup attempt in the Democratic Republic of Congo last year. The four men face charges of conspiring to provide material support and resources, conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to bomb places of government facilities, and conspiracy to kill or kidnap persons in a foreign country. According to the statement, and you can follow these stories across Bloomberg, including the Next African Newsletter. Will put a link to that in the show notes. This program was produced by Adrian Bradley. Don't forget to follow and review this sh show wherever you usually get your podcasts. I'm Jennifer Zabasaja. Thanks as always for listening. We'll see you next week.