Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Wednesday, March twenty sixth. Welcome to Morning Run now guaranteed available by six thirty am Eastern Time, every single day, Monday through Friday. I made Robots and.
Speaker 2: I'm TJ Holmes. Megan Markle is, what is she doing this morning on my show? What does she make?
Speaker 1: It looks like she's making salt Mason jars.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's beautiful, It's beauty gorgeous. My infatuation with the show continues with love Megan, is that what it's called.
Speaker 1: She's got fresh herbs and it just makes you want to start nesting right.
Speaker 2: I've been in a trance with this show. People have had all kinds of things to say about it, but it is my new favorite obsession every morning from this podcast.
Speaker 1: I want a garden.
Speaker 2: I do too. Now, I've never wanted a garden before making a Riday. Hey, there's your Megan Markel update on this day, folks. But we need to get going on this run. There's a lot to get to, including this. The US says there is now a ceasepire deal. Russia immediately says slow down.
Speaker 1: Also this Morning we know exactly who to blame for that embarrassing group Tech's national security blunder, but Trump says it's all good.
Speaker 2: Plus a congresswoman calls the governor of Texas who uses a wheelchair governor hot wheels, and she's actually defending the remark this morning.
Speaker 1: Also on this morning's Ron, the pope's personal nurse could actually be the guardian angel responsible for him still being alive. And where is your birth certificate? Well you might need it to vote.
Speaker 2: Plus this morning, Trump has gone missing from the Colorado State Capitol. Tesla could use some good news. It won't be found. In this podcast, TikTok removes a disturbing filter, and a thief finally takes an expensive bathroom break, and yes, robes police, we're there to clean up.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a promised update that we will have for you that, oh I'm very much looking forward to. But we begin our run overseas this morning, where Russia and you have agreed to a limited ceasefire, at least we think they have.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what happened was the US announced yesterday that the two sides were both on board with a deal that calls for the end to military action in the Black Sea, and the two countries would no longer attack each other's energy infrastructure. Yes, that's a very limited ceasefire, but it's something, and it's the first such ceasfire deal of any kind during this three year war.
Speaker 1: The deal comes after US officials had separate talks on back to back days with Russian and Ukrainian officials in Saudi Arabia, and it represents a significant step in the right direction, right eh.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Yeah, Russia came out later in the day and said, sure, we'll go along with the seasfire, but only after the US agrees to lift certain sanctions on banks and exports. That seemed to catch everybody off guard. That apparently wasn't a part of the initial deal. So after they made the deal, it seems they've classic case here of moving the goal post. So President Trump later said that, okay, the US is going to look into the Kremlin's conditions.
Speaker 1: Ukrainian President Zelenski's words, however, not of the minced variety. Here's what Zelensky had to say about this development. The Kremlin is lying again, claiming that the Black Sea ceasefire supposedly depends on sanctions Moscow always lies.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now where are we. The seafire was supposed to go into effect immediately yesterday, but really, who knows at this point if Russia is going to adhere to what they seem to have agreed to. Now we talk about the Black Sea all the time. Why is this significant. It's a significant shipping route there for Ukraine, So it's very important for their infrastructure, very important for their finances in that country. It's a little west of Russia, just south of Ukraine if you try to picture that on a map. But it's a big deal. So this was supposed to be a big deal. Robes And now immediately after we're like, wow, there's a ceasefire. Oh there's not.
Speaker 1: We'll see what today brinks.
Speaker 2: How about that? It'll be something new, all right?
Speaker 1: Next up on the run and the big story still brewing. Back here at home. President Trump says his national security advisor has learned his lesson, don't add random reporters to a text chain with the national security team when you're discussing war plans.
Speaker 2: I thought that might have been national security one oh one, but that's just me. But yeah, that's the lesson he learned after this jaw dropping national security blunder that had the White House doing damage control most of the day. Yesterday, National Security Advisor Mike Waltz says he is taking full responsibility for inadvertently adding the editor in chief of the Atlantic to a group tex chain that included the vice presidents, the Secretary of Defense, among others, in which they were yes in fact, discussing military plans.
Speaker 1: Administration officials and the President himself insist that there was no classified information in that text chain, but Democrats pounced, demanding answers for the White House and hinting at a full investigation. I believe it was the New York Times who had a clever headline that actually represents what I have said before that most of us can't stand in any type of an argument with anyone that the President attacked, defended, and deflected. And that is what has been happening, as we see the finger pointing somehow being turned on the reporter himself and his credibility and the Atlantic's credibility all being swept up in this in a way of deflecting what actually really happened. But when you hear from Republican lawmakers, everyone has pretty much just said, Yeah, this was a big mistake. Was defend Well, I think it's a defend deflect attack, is what the headline said. Now I reverse the order.
Speaker 2: I understand your argument style. Now will we fight? It makes more sense to me.
Speaker 1: We'll continue everybody's argument style.
Speaker 2: Isn't it that we'll continue on this run before an argument breaks out? And this next story is quite a disturbing one, but it just goes to show you where we are sometimes in politics in this country. We have another ugly example of not just lack of decorum, but what's often a lack of common decency in our political discourse. Calls this morning for Texas Democrat Jasmine Crockett to be punished for openly mocking the governor of Texas for his disability.
Speaker 1: That's right. At a recent speech, Congresswoman Crockett referred to Governor Greg Abbott as Governor hot Wheels. Abbot uses a wheelchair after he was paralyzed in an accident when he was just twenty six years old.
Speaker 2: So Crockett went off script during a speech at the Human Rights Campaign event in La over the weekend. You can see from the video she had a teleprompter there, but there were times where she looked down at notes, and there were times where she clearly went off script, and this is one of those times. This is what she said, quote, we in these hot ass Texas streets, Honey, y'all know, we got governor hot wheels down there, and the only thing hot about him is that he's a hot ass mess in quote. Now, she said that you could hear some not necessarily jears, but certainly laughs and some clapping even in the room when she made the comment.
Speaker 1: Now, she's soundly being criticized, mainly from Republicans, as you might imagine, and a Republican congressman says he is going to introduce a resolution to censure Crockett. That's basically just a public flogging, so to speak. There's no actual real punishment or consequences, just a public shaming, so to speak. But Crockett has responded, and she is now saying that we got it all wrong writing this on X. That she wasn't making a reference to the fact that Abbott uses a wheelchair. No, that's not what she meant when she said hot wheels.
Speaker 2: This is what she said she was saying, and I'm quoting again. She wrote this own X I wasn't thinking about the governor's condition. I was thinking about the planes, trains, and automobiles he used to transfer migrants into communities led by black mayors, deliberately stoking tension and fear among the most vulnerable. Goes on to say, literally, the next line I said was that he was a hot ass mess, referencing his terrible policies. At no point that I mention or allude to his condition.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people would take who would take an issue with what she said. She absolutely alluded to his condition when she said hot wheels, So the fact that she said she didn't allude to his condition is puzzling. Crockett recently emerged as a prominent voice during all of that democratic infighting, and as far as a response from Governor Abbott himself, here's what he had to say, another day, Another disaster for Democrats. They have nothing to sell but hate, and a lot of people are hearkening back or remembering when President Trump mocked a New York Times reporter back in twenty fifteen. I believe, as he was running for president his first term, about when he literally imitated him and used hand gestures that mimicked this New York Times reporter and Trump, much like Crockett said, no, no, no, no, no, I wasn't imitating him. I was just showing a reporter who is backpedaling from his story.
Speaker 2: So, okay, this was heartbreaking to hear that this has happened. I mean, politics is fine, go at each other, tell me you've got terrible policies, you're letting people do this, and that you're trying to take away this fine, But to mock a person that's disabled is just too much. That's just too much. On both sides. It's fine, But then you come back and to give the I know, you know, I'm more than anybody I want to give folks. Take you at your word. But it's almost as if she's calling us stupid in her response. At least it feel I'm trying to find a way to take her at her word. But this was a chance to teach two lessons. One, careful what you say in public. Don't get caught up in a moment, and don't say something mean right. That's less than one lesson. Two, When you do, you immediately take responsibility and you apologize. She could have had two lessons to teach people here, but she's not taking any responsibility for what she said.
Speaker 1: It's just really tough. I just think about these types of moments end up on TikTok our kids all see them. What is this teaching our children about how to treat one another's do as we say, not as we do?
Speaker 2: What's the backdrop when she said it? Human rights campaign? It was terrible, which focuses on what yes, human rights in particular LGBTQ plus community diversity, inclusion right, treating people with kindness.
Speaker 1: So to make someone who has a disability in the midst of.
Speaker 2: That, if you see the video here, entire backdrop while she's making fun of a disabled man is human rights campaign. They can't. That can't feel good? More to come on that. We are sure continue on the run here this morning, and we're going to start here with a question and robes. I'll ask you the question, certainly the listeners, this question for you. Do you right now know where your birth certificate is? Could you get up right now and walk to wherever in the home and get it.
Speaker 1: I can find my children's birth certificates, but I don't believe I could find my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I'd call my mom.
Speaker 2: That's what everybody would do, You call your mom. First birth certificate. Now we're asking this for a reason, but yes, interesting enough, there are statistics on this. The nearly ten percent of adults in this country do not have proof of citizenship birth certificate readily available.
Speaker 1: And we mentioned this because President Trump has just signed an executive order that says, if you want to register to vote, you have to show proof that you are in fact a United States citizen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this latest executive order would mean a major overhaul of US elections. In an addition to the citizenship requirement, it calls for all ballots to be received by election day and for states to identify non citizens on their voting roles. Congress is considering what it calls the Safe Act, which is something that would implement most of these changes anyway, but its passage in Congress is unlikely. So the President said, all right, I'm gonna move.
Speaker 1: All them home, and he's going to be sued shortly. Of course, as has been the case in most of these executive orders that we've seen, the Constitution makes it very clear estates have the authority to set the time, place, and manner for elections. So we fully expect this executive order to be challenged. Voting rights groups are concerned a citizenship requirement could disenfranchise certain communities. But look, there are a lot of other issues. Like women who got married and changed their last names, could they face challenges since the name on their birth certificate won't match her ID. I mean, there's all sorts of issues that could come up.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that. But it might not seem like a lot of folks, But I watched you deal with something with medical insurance the other day and you just finally want to quit. You couldn't write because it was a medical thing.
Speaker 1: But when you think about it, I wanted to.
Speaker 2: You wanted to. But if somebody okay, I got to go through another step and another step and another step just to vote, you're finally going to say, oh, forget it, and folks will be left out. But they're making it more difficult. I didn't realize that we you right now, what's the rule? You just swear I promise you I'm a US citizen, under threat of perjury, that you're eligible to vote. That's how it works right now. And you provide a driver's license, yous too have to have some kind of an ID.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, or social Security number.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's what it's required now. But it's likely not going to go through because it's going to get challenged, to get held up in court, like it seems like most of his executive orders.
Speaker 1: That's been happening. It's a trend. Next up on our run, a ten thousand dollars painting has gone missing from the walls of the Colorado State Capitol, just like President Trump wanted. The painting was off him. He didn't like it, he complained, and now they have officially taken it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we told you about this story yesterday. It was an oil painting of the President at US hung in the Colorado State Capital for the past six years. For whatever reason, it came to Trump's attention. He went on social media to complain that the portrait was purposefully distorted by the artists and should be taken down. But get this, it was actually state Republicans who put the thing thing up in the first place. They had raised ten thousand dollars to commission the painting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The portrait was painted by artist Sarah Boardman. She also painted the adjacent portrait or what was the adjacent portrait next to President Trump with President Obama, and Trump actually made a comment about that portrait. He said Obama's portrait looked wonderful. His did not. He didn't feel After Trump's criticism of his portrait, a steady stream of visitors started showing up at the Capitol to take pictures with it. We also told you there, you know, we don't know. Could there be a replacement portrait he could give the one that Putin gave to him, and we shall see what happens, or if they'll just be a missing spot on the wall of the Colorado State Capital.
Speaker 2: They won't allow that, so they'll put something up there. I'm dying to see that picture that Putin gave Trump. I would love to see that portrait. Stay with U zero, folks. We're going to continue on this Wednesday morning run. When we come back. We're finding out more about the Pope's condition when he was in the hospital. Doctor say they actually considered stopping treatment and letting him pass in peace. Will update you there also some more bad news for Tesla. Also, TikTok makes a major change, and this morning an update on the story you've been waiting on. A man a thief finally takes an eight hundred thousand dollars people, all right, we continue on this Wednesday morning run in Rome. We knew he was in rough shade, but now Pope Francis's medical team is revealing just how bad things got for the Pontiff during his month long hospital stay.
Speaker 1: Things got so bad doctors at one point considered ending his treatment and allowing him to pass away in peace. This happened February twenty eighth, when Pope Francis was said to be having a breathing crisis. We now know he actually inhaled his own vomit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doctors say they had a choice to make stop treatment and let him die in peace, or go with an aggressive course of drugs and other treatments that might damage his organs. Now it was his personal nurse that we are told who was in the room and the doctor say, hey, this is the person that knows his wishes better than any when it comes to his health. And this is the quote they said. The nurse told them try everything, don't give up.
Speaker 1: Doctor say, there was an understanding among them that the Pope might not make it through the night. But the Pope did respond to that aggressive treatment, got out of immediate danger, and then just three days later had another breathing crisis that had him once again close to death, but doctors were able to get him through that as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, you might remember he was initially admitted to the hospital on Valentine today for bronchitis, ended up with double pneumonia, ultimately spent thirty eight days in the hospital before being released on Sunday. Is doctor who gave all the new details in the interview with an Italian publication suggested, yes, that the world saved the pope's life with prayer. Quote, in this case, the whole world was praying. I can say that twice the situation was lost and then it happened like a miracle.
Speaker 1: We even said, before we knew these details, how miraculous it seemed. I said. I think a lot of people could say this was America. Everyone expected him to die at that point, and to get those details confirms that. But wow, that nurse, that's a very cool story, very cool story. All right, this is not so good, not so cool for Elon Musk. Yeah, next up on the run. I feel like every day we have another awful story, either about him or Tesla or both. Well, European sales of Tesla have fallen forty nine percent in January and February compared to one year ago, and that massive drop happened at a time when overall sales of electric vehicles has risen more than twenty eight percent.
Speaker 2: All right, so what's the blame? A couple of issues here. The first one you could probably imagine. There's been backlash against Elon Musk and his role in the Trump administration. There's danger, rather i should say anger over musk endorsement of Germany's far right alternative for Germany Party during last month's election. And they've also been complaints about Tesla's just the fact that they're aging. They're just don't have any updated mind, so they're kind of getting old people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you want another reason also dogging the company. Tesla's new cybertruck just had to issue. We told you about this. It's eighth recall in basically a year. That ever since they became available to customers, which was a little over a year ago, that cyber truck has already had eight recalls. Not to mention all of the attacks that are making headlines almost on a daily basis, with bullets and bombs, et cetera, from individual vehicles, to car dealerships to charging stations. Individual they were calling them loan wolfman, loan attackers who were going out and deliberately attacking these vehicles because they're upset at Elon Musk's doge policies. So yeah, you no more bad news.
Speaker 2: We were talking. I didn't think about it until now with Crockett. Congresswoman Crockett has gone after to Elon and Tesla. She has organized I can't remember what she called it, but a day of protests at Tesla dealerships on March twenty ninth or birthday. So you can't. I mean, we're talking about h hundreds of planned protests on that day specifically targeting Tesla. Yes, they're not supposed to be violently, supposed to be peaceful, let you voice be heard. But this just goes to show.
Speaker 1: People more to come, is what that goes to show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, I moved up in the rundown.
Speaker 1: We're on TikTok, you know I did.
Speaker 2: I wasn't aware of this actually on that this was the thing.
Speaker 1: I just found this this morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we're clearly not big TikTok users here, But we just found out that they have stopped letting people make and search for videos using what's been called a chubby filter. Now it had become a recent trend. Users show an original picture of themselves and then apply the filter that made them look bigger, with Doci's song Anxiety as the background music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One TikTok user said, oh, great, a filters, so skinny girls can make fun of what they would look like if they were fat, and that's been the problem. So some of these videos, yeah, they were getting millions of views, with comments raging from laughter to outrage. Critics say the filter was being used as a form of body shaming, literally made making fun of weight gain and so TikTok listened, confirming on Tuesday that capcut, which is owned by the same parent company as TikTok, had completely removed the filter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the TikTok said also, it's reviewing videos that have used the filter to make them ineligible for recommendation to other users. A study published last year found that women who spend time on TikTok are a greater risk of disliking their bodies and feeling worse about their appearance. Studies showed that after as little as ten minutes viewing content on TikTok, the women surveyed say they had negative body reactions. Every once in a while, social media company gets it right. This might seem like a small thing, but this is a big deal.
Speaker 1: It was a big deal to me to see that because it makes sense, and I was glad to see that they made that call, and pretty quickly after there was a lot of uproar. It was nice to see that they made a swift decision. Yesterday, well, for the final leg of our run, an update on a story we promised you we would follow up on. Remember that thief in Orlando who swallowed his loote and not just any loot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd actually forgotten about this story. Orlando police say, uh, seven hundred and seventy thousand dollars worth of diamond earrings were swallowed by a suspect stolen from a Tiffany store there. Well, they have finally finally recovered all of those diamonds. Again, I said, he swallowed seven hundred and seventy thousand dollars worth of diamond earrings, so they have finally been recovered. Well, how do you think they recover them.
Speaker 1: Yes, they used the word expelled in the police report. Oh, the diamonds were expelled, and I.
Speaker 2: Call it a eight hundred thousand dollars poop, my bad.
Speaker 1: And it took longer than you might think, by the way. Yeah, yeah, no, they said that they like they were thanking their team of officers for making it through the grueling hours of basically having to watch this guy night and day. So if police said detectives monitored Jaythan Gilder for more than a dozen days at the hospital before they were finally able to match the serial numbers on the jewelry with the items that were stolen, or let you.
Speaker 2: Really need to go match serial numbers? We know?
Speaker 1: I guess they had to to confirm it. Or Orlando ped went on to say that the detectives then brought those diamonds back to Tiffany's and they specified that they were in fact cleaned and then verified through an inscription and serial numbers at the store. Who had to clean them?
Speaker 2: But why do you have to watch he goes to the bat where they're scared he's gonna flush them or hide them somewhere.
Speaker 1: You have to Yeah, I think they just had to be monitoring him the entire time, just in case he was able to take it and swallow it back or do something. Who knows.
Speaker 2: I don't know this U okay, So the robbery itself, police say, well, how does this happen? Well, he posed as a representative for the Orlando Magic This took him back to a VIP room, so they thought they were going to make a big cell here, and it turns out he was trying to rob the place. He grabbed some jewelry, struggled with an employee, he dropped some stuff on the around, but then he swallowed the other diamonds before being taken into custoders.
Speaker 1: I was just kind of imagining the whole scene in my head and it had to be comical and yet at the same time really concerning. Please say, this isn't his first time. He has a history of jewelry heist and did one very similar to this just earlier in the year. But he has forty eight outstanding warrants in Colorado right now he's facing charges of grand theft and robbery with a mask. But we have bigger questions, like are they going to have to tell is Tiffany's going to have to tell anyone who purchases these diamonds. By the way, I would say, no, put that in your ear and it was in someone's butt.
Speaker 2: It's going to clean that sanitation is not I don't think that part is the problem. But it's just the knowledge of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the knowledge of it. To know you're putting those in your ear, that's like you're actually introducing it into your skin. Uh uh.
Speaker 2: I bet they do not have to tell, but I would anybody who's making a Tiffany purchase ask that question. You should. What was the thing at real estate houses? They have to let you know if somebody's been burdened.
Speaker 1: Yes, something, that's what they say they have to do.
Speaker 2: I don't know, do they They would have a rule for jewelry. I don't think so these were expelled.
Speaker 1: You Oh my god, no, thank you. We're just spending that kind of money. I think you should know.
Speaker 2: A severely discounted it's those before you go about your Wednesday's home day, right, Yeah, it's our day, feeling.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How you doing quite right?
Speaker 1: You're battling a pretty nasty gold.
Speaker 2: Oh is that what this is?
Speaker 1: I think it is?
Speaker 2: I got something going on but we not great, but something we like for you to consider as you go about our day or your day. It's our quote of the day, and I read it ahead of times Robes and I like this for me today.
Speaker 1: I yes, I did too. I like this for all of us. Not all storms come to disrupt your life. Some come to clear your path. I love thinking about it that way, we can all we don't have to go back too far. You start thinking about what seemed so terrible, and what you realize is they say when one door closes, a window opens, or another one opens. But a lot of times it literally you have to almost tears something down to build yourself back up. And I like looking at it like that. It turns a negative into a positive.
Speaker 2: Yes, And sometimes you can't even see that path unless that storm comes and clears things out. You go, oh wow, I was supposed to go that way all along. So folks, take that with you today. It's our quote of the day. Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your paths. I hope you have a good path today on this Wednesday, folks who always appreciate you running with us. I'm teaching and
Speaker 1: I'm Amy Roebuck, we will see you on the run tomorrow.