Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, toy, it's been a minute.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm really sad I'm not on Hidden Hills anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm really sad you're not here too.
Speaker 1: No, I'm really close to you. But it's just the whole animal thing.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm like you. I'm a farmer at heart. You'll get back to the animals, you know, will, I will wait? You have how many? You have? Two pigs?
Speaker 2: Two pigs, a tortoise, two horses, five chickens, eight goats. I haven't heard of ghats and actually have a cat who just found a toy holding.
Speaker 1: Like that is my dream life. I was getting there is working aupboards that I had pigs, I had goats, I had chickens, didn't have the tortoise yet.
Speaker 2: I don't demend a tortoise. Don't get a tortoise.
Speaker 1: Oh they're so great though.
Speaker 2: Well, the tortoise came with the house, so we kind of got still the tortoise, and the tortoise is a male, and he is he's an intense guy, let's just put it that way. He kind of he kind of drives me crazy. Yeah, I'll tell you a story afterwards. I don't want to tell you. I don't want to scare your listeners with my tortoise coming into a sexuality story, because that's that's a story.
Speaker 1: For our listeners. I remember at one point, I think your husband was going to help me build pig sanctuary, right, like a yes.
Speaker 2: So actually when I told him I was doing this podcast, he said, first thing he said is did Tory work out her pig thing? Because I'm still available? Oh?
Speaker 1: I know. Well, we were in that house in Hidden Hills that had mold, so we left that house hoping to get back into another one. It's hard to find house and hidden Hills, so we were like moving all over hiding farm animals and garages because you couldn't have them anywhere else but Hidden Hills. And it just got to be Yeah, So we just have a year lease here in Calabasas. I have homes that I call temporary homes for all the animals because I say there's still ours, right, and they're like, there's still yours. You can come and visit. Absolutely hoping to move back into Hidden Hills.
Speaker 2: If you ever need a place for one of your animals to land, please ask me because that's actually how we got most of our animals. We were kind of we're kind of the place where someone's like in transition, so they drop an animal off with us, or they're like, we didn't know how to take care of a pig, or we didn't know how to take care of a goat. Here you go. So that's basically like our barnyard is that. But here's the thing. You have a lot of kids. I only have two kids. One is seventeen and one is eight, So like, if I had the kids you had, there's no way I would have all the animals I had because I can't do both. So I so I keep having, like my mothering is extending to the animals, not to take because two that's all I can handle at those points.
Speaker 1: And see, I thought the more kids I had, the more they'd help with the animals. And this is not true.
Speaker 2: It is not necessarily true.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not at all. That's funny. I almost called you about our pig, Wilbur, and my husband at the time was like, why would you do that to her? I was like, because I think Kelly mentioned that she could take in and he was like, don't put your animals on people.
Speaker 2: Okay, I really really really think of me. My husband's from Montana. It's just the way we roll here. So I promise you anytime. And the other thing is when you need a fix, you like, when you're like I really just need to be with the animals. Yes, come over, like I'm always just in the barn like bullshitting by myself. Like I'm just just down there.
Speaker 1: Like get the tummy pig, Yes, the little yeah, rubbing the piggy belly. If you don't know, when you rub a pig's belly, it falls over on it.
Speaker 2: And they become aythnotized basically, so yes, nothing like it. That's when you can trim their little feet because otherwise their feet keep either like hooves keep growing and growing.
Speaker 1: So it's stop.
Speaker 2: My cat. I actually have to show you my cat because she's going to be bothering us because I'm actually in the cat's room, which used to be my office, but then when the cats moved in again. I think we have over twenty animals by the way. Tori, so, my my seventeen year old she interned for a vet last summer, and she there were these two kittens that needed a home and She's like mom, and I said no, no, no, no, no, no, we have so many no and she said please and I said fine. So I mean that's how difficult like me? So now Kindred spirits animals. And you know what's so funny Tory is like we've actually been in and out of each other's lives since we were I was eleven when I did shrew Beverly Hills, so we have literally been like in and out for fool lives.
Speaker 1: It's true. So if you're eleven, I think I was fourteen. Does that make sense? How old are you now?
Speaker 2: I'm forty eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm fifty one, So there you go.
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna be forty nine tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Does that make you escorp you?
Speaker 2: I'm a Libra, You're still a Libra and I'm far from balanced. So I think they met up. Yeah, and then and then we I feel like we probably saw each other in passing. You were on the show. I wanted to be on. I mean, I loved being on Life Goes On. It was amazing. However, I feel like nine to two was always like the cool kids show, and I was on like the show people liked to watch with their grandparents, so and I loved your show, so I feel like I saw you during that time. But then when we did A Friend to Die For, I really spent some time with you. But I was a colossal bitch during that movie. So I'm really sorry. I don't know if you're a which movie A Friend to Die For? I was so hot during that movie that I like not talking. I remember not talking to you very much, and I'm really sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I didn't take that away from yet oh good. I did not get that because when we did True Beverly Hills, I definitely felt like out of the loop with the girls, like it was like the Beverly Hills girls and then the Red Feathers, and I was like, oh wait, I am a Beverly Hills girl. Yeah, I know you guys. Can I just hang? But it was like very two distinct groups, and I was like, oh, is this what clicks are? Like? Okay, I got it. I got it, not just in school on movie sets.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just you. It was actually going to click within the click. Because I definitely, I definitely didn't feel a part of the little core group of True Beverly Hills girls, because I don't know, I was well. Also, I played the poor girl, so I was not really like a rich Beverly Hills girl. But also I auditioned for the part of Hannah Neffler Jenny Lewis's Room five times and then per usual, like literally like my whole career, Jenny Lewis gets cast as the main girl, and I get cast as the friend, the psyche kick or something like that, Like it happened six times in my career.
Speaker 1: So Jenny with Jenny Lewis, Jenny Lewis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no Jenny Lewis.
Speaker 1: With other shows with her.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, commercials, television shows.
Speaker 1: It was always her.
Speaker 2: It was always her. Yet she had this gorgeous red hair, and you'd think that would be hard to cast in the family like as the main girl, but no, she always got the part, and I always got the part of her friends. So anyway, when I did True Beverly Hills, I felt sad to not be Shelley's daughter, to not be Hannah. And then Amy Foster and Emily Schulman knew each other really well, and they were all kind of tight, and they were kind of like, you know, had been on a series before. I think Amy was on Ammy was on Punky Brewster and on Small Wonder, so like they were like in the kind of like child actor world. And I was very much on the outskirts because I had just done like commercials and guest spots. So I felt very much like not cool at all during that movie. And I always felt like I was trying to fight for the camera because the director would never say, Okay, you stand here, you stand here, you stand here. Jenny would be like, well, I'm her daughter, so I need to be close to Shelley, and we're like, okay, that's fair. And then Amy's like, well I'm going to be here, and Emily's like I'm going to be here, and I'm like, I'm going to just be in the back.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. It's funny because when I think of that movie, I always think of you as Shelley Long's daughter. No think I know, but it's just maybe you're the most recognizable one. So I just go to that where that's just a story we could start telling. I don't know, but do you remember in Hollywood, young Hollywood like clubs like Alfie Soda pop clubs. I sure we go to those.
Speaker 2: I went to one and found it terrifying. Did you go often?
Speaker 1: I went to like two, and I'm not sure I found it terrifying. Tell me, do tell well? An odd setup?
Speaker 2: Well, did you go with us? Like I did go during Troop Beverly Hills. That's when I went to Alfie's because I went with AML and I remember going with Emily Shulman. So I went with the Troop Beverly Hills girls. And I'm pretty sure my mom waited outside the club for me, because my mom never let me get very far, thank god. So I do want to going in.
Speaker 1: There were girls whom Troop Beverly Hill's there, so yes, yes, that one.
Speaker 2: We must have planned an outing. Yeah, and I don't know who is the ringleader?
Speaker 1: Who was?
Speaker 2: I think Amy Foster might have been a kind of like regular there. Yes, but it's really funny. I do have friends, I mean Scott Grimes. I don't know if you know Scott Crimes. Yes, very well, he went like every Thursday he did, and Cole Eggert and.
Speaker 1: Sleigh Melissa Milano and I hosted it one year. It was like a big deal for me. Oh go and who was.
Speaker 2: ALFI no idea never I never met him.
Speaker 1: He wasn't a teen. He was like an older grown up, grown up putting these teen parties together.
Speaker 2: I think there's some dark I don't know for a fact, but I think there is some dark stuff that happened that led to the demise of the club.
Speaker 1: That's the lore I believe.
Speaker 2: I mean, nothing can come from a nightclub for child actors, right, No, that seems like bad from the word go, doesn't it does.
Speaker 1: We would dance, they'd have a dance floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was soda pop like it was like. But I think there might have been other stuff too.
Speaker 1: Really, I never got that.
Speaker 2: I didn't get it, but that's what I heard later on, is that, like I said, there was some darkness.
Speaker 1: UH would be in like cool hotels and it'd be like in the ballroom.
Speaker 2: And I think it was in a different spot every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like.
Speaker 2: A pop up yes. And I might have been like circus animals sometimes.
Speaker 1: I remember, oh wait, like a monkey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he'd bring in circus animals. So it was kooky. But I lived in Thousand Oaks, so I didn't spend any time in Los Angeles except to work or go auditions. I think my dentist might have been on Sunset Boulevard, but basically, unlike you who grew up in town, I was. I was in like suburbia with my family. My dad worked at j C. Pennies. My mom basically took care of me and my sister, so I didn't get to do much stuff at all because I just went home at night.
Speaker 1: It's a good call.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess she didn't know. It's funny my mom didn't know, you know, not to do like I don't know, Like she was just always there. So she just was always observing, and I am. I'm grateful for that, and I'm grateful that I grew up kind of I had a relatively normal life besides being on set and working.
Speaker 1: And that was just like so we had a good head on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like I had to take the trash out every night, and I had to clean my bathroom every Saturday. And my dad is my dad is the kind of guy who, like I said, he worked at j C. Pennies. He came from like a tiny, like one bedroom apartment in New York, in Brooklyn, and he uh, he wasn't gonna let me get full of myself. Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 1: Like ever, But it was good those parties because I got to see like all the other actresses that were out there, because we were all kind of auditioning for the same stuff. It was a small world, it really was.
Speaker 2: Did you go to Westlake or Harvard Westlake? I did, okay, because I think my friend Tanya fun Moore went to school with you.
Speaker 1: She did. I was friends with her. Oh yeah, you're still friends with her.
Speaker 2: I do keep in touch with her. Yeah, she played my best friend in Life goes On.
Speaker 1: I have not seen her in oh my god, over thirty years. She knows the same she yeah, she does, she does funny. Yeah. Yeah. When I first joined that school, she was like the ringleader. She was like, Oh, are you an actress? I'm an actress, come this way.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, No, she she's and she's really really smart. She went to Herbard and she's part of the reason why I decided to go to college because I was working with Tanya and on Life goes On and she applied and got in I think everywhere she applied to, and I was like, well, I better go to college too. So I ended up kind of following in her footsteps, and my boyfriend at the time did the same thing too, So.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what would have happened if you didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's the weird thing about like your path, Like, yeah, it's weird, wacky, like I think, and I feel like being an actor you have to be open to what happens, like what falls me up. I mean, my husband always says to me, he's a lawyer, and like he's very kind of analytical, and he's like, well, where do you want to be in five years? I'm like, I'm an actor. You can't say I want to be there in five years. You just don't know what's going to happen. And you kind of had to open to what life brings. And I've kind of always lived that way and he drives him up a wall. But I just think actors can never know, Like we can hardly even plan vacations.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a mental state too, Like we're creatives, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly, We're not, Yes, we are. We go with the flow. I mean you have to.
Speaker 1: I'm really good at that. I know no other way. Five kids in totes, so it's like we'll just go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of I mean you kind of have to do that. I've never been a planner, and and when I did go away to college, it was it was scary because but I definitely kept one foot back here just because I thought, like what I mean, I'm not going to go to college and become a doctor. I'm going to go to college and learn stuff, but like I'm going to be an actor after that, Like I'm not going to change who I am or I my vocation just because I go to college.
Speaker 1: Well, you did er so.
Speaker 2: I did do ER so I had that dangerous amount of doctor knowledge that I know something all paid off that I know nothing. Yeah, I actually left college to do YR so.
Speaker 1: So you never finished college.
Speaker 2: I did. I actually, so when I got killed off of R I went back. Okay, but I had been gone long enough I had to reapply, which is cruel. You're like, I was just killed off er, Please at least let me back in. They didn't care. No, they didn't care.
Speaker 1: You're not at all okay? Can we go back to true Beverly Hills?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh I was. I was actually going to get like some bray to show you. I have a watch and I have a jacket, but I never give a jacket. Shoot, I do I have a jacket. I have a Wilderness Girl's watch. Shelley Long gave us all these gifts, like, she was so generous to us. So yeah, I got like all these Wilderness Girl gifts from her.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I know they.
Speaker 2: Were very very sweet.
Speaker 1: She was.
Speaker 2: She was very sweet. So yes, what do you what do you want to talk about True Beverly Hills. I just watched it, by the way, with my eight year old, so I'm very holds up right, it weirdly holds up even though it's a time capsule.
Speaker 1: It is, I know, it just does.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because it came out and was not a hit. No, Like, would you say it was a flop.
Speaker 2: It was a flop. I mean I think it might have made its money back, but it was basically a flop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, anticipation was like, oh, this is going to be huge, and then it was like womp, womp. No one responded to it. But it's a movie that went on to become called classic. Like everybody, you know you're big when Kim Kardashian has a shower based on True Beverly Hills. So did she really yeah, she really did.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: We've made it.
Speaker 2: We've totally made it. No, it's it is. It's one of those funny cult classics, and it anytime you sit down to watch it, you laugh and you think this is just so great, and it like it is. It's a time capsule. It's Rodeo Drive in its heyday, and it's Spago and it's all this like these iconic places and pias A Dora. I'm like Piaza Dora, like obviously, like my eight year old doesn't know who Piazador is, right, you know, she, my eight year old, got a total kick out of it. She loved it. And and that, I feel like, is the true testament to something like that really holds up and do we make it. It was it like nineteen eighty seven something like that, so it was around that time, and gay men love it. They've really kept the fire alive for Tuoberdly Hills.
Speaker 1: I feel they have they have Oh my gosh. Yeah. I just remember like doing that movie and thinking this is my chance, like I'm finally going to be in something it's not my dad's. And then I got cast as a red feather. I was like Okay, you probably.
Speaker 2: Read for Hannah too. We all probably read for Shelley's Dot.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah. And then they.
Speaker 2: Dulled out the parts after the Jetty and I.
Speaker 1: Was like no, no, no, no. And then I was like, down here, like you were Jamie from the Red Feathers. You've had two lines, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like Culver City from Culver City, which now would be like Culver City she but like, it's just interesting.
Speaker 1: So people when they hear I was in that movie, and they don't really know about it, They're like, oh, you were in super Really Hills obviously, I'm like, no, actually, I grew up in Beverly Hills. Wasn't in that true? But I just remember we filmed in Malibu Canyon.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm we did.
Speaker 1: We did. It was so hot, like it seemed like months, very hot. And I was terrified because I had never gone camping. I had never been in the wilderness, and I was supposed to be on the team where they did everything and they were like hard hitting girls that like take down the Beverly Hills girls, and I was terrified and I was like, oh my god, my parents would never let me go camping. Shoot, how am I going to pretend, I know.
Speaker 2: And it's so funny that I like, I should have been a red feather because I was way more of that girl and you were way more the other girl on the other like actual true Beverly Hills girl. So but really the way we shot that in Malibu Canyon, like they kind of were just like, go into that brush, and we were like, what, like, just go into that brush because they wanted it to look like a jungle, so they didn't clear it, and they're just like, go in there, and so we did, you know, we just kind of I remember people dropping like flies too. They would like get over stroke, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: We were terrifying. It was like we were all down in this pit and hanging on this field and then they'd be like and go and yeah. They would run you up and be like what am I doing to go down the other side, and you look at the other side, it was like straight down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I know. No, it was rugged. For everybody who thought it's fine like filming, it was just me. No. It was very rugged. And because there were always so many people in every scene, it was kind of like you had to fend for yourself. I don't think I did. I mean I did one scene, the scene where Emily Shulman's character gives my character money because I can't afford are like hatches feet or something, and there were three of us in that scene. It was me, Shelley and Emily, and I was like, Oh, finally a scene that doesn't have fifteen people in it. It was. It was just crazy. It was like a mosh pit every time we shot a scene.
Speaker 1: Really was, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was such a cool movie to be a part of. Had you done what did you done before that? You had done your dad's stuff, So you've done like just.
Speaker 1: Like guest spots from the guest spots.
Speaker 2: So this was your first movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was so excited. Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was fun. And we really did shoot over like I want to say, like three months.
Speaker 1: It was a long shoot. So I went to regular school at the time and it was my entire sum oh right, right, right, which I was fine with. Give me more, give me more. Wait. Have you heard about them doing another a remake of it?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I hear like every once in a while, it hasn't seemed serious. Have you heard something serious?
Speaker 1: No? But I find it odd that's the question I get the most, like is there ever going to be another one? I'm like, why did they never remake that movie? Of sorts?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I actually think it would be a really fun one to remake.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I feel like four five years ago when I inquired, they said it was some huge producer was coming in, like someone that had done what had he done, like Mulan Rouge and like I don't know, like a big, big director and producer, and they were going to make it a musical.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I think that would be really fun.
Speaker 1: It would be fun.
Speaker 2: Also, the thing that's so fun is all the cameos in that, like Franky in a net are like running by at the Beverly Hills Hotel and like Cheech Marin is at the party. Like there there are some really fun opportunities for cameos. I am surprised.
Speaker 1: I assreciate it. Same.
Speaker 2: And they remade our other movie that we did, which is also a cult class for them.
Speaker 1: And they remade, well, we should look into see if they're remaking it. We should, we should remake it.
Speaker 2: We should. Well, let's just do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just do it. Yes,