Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: It's the Doctor Laura podcast, but about her, not hers, because she also has one, but it's not about her, although it kind of also is. I'm Robert Evans. This is a show about bad people. Jamie. Welcome back to the program. How are you doing today? Are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 3: I've been on the edge of my seat. I'm wondering. I mean, like, maybe I'm she seems litigious? Does that feel right? You know?
Speaker 2: I could. She's got a lawsuit that she made in here. She's got She's had at least one that was unreasonable, but she lost and gave up. She will be talking about a very reasonable over the revenge porn that gets posted of her. Yes, so uh yeah, that one, although it doesn't go her way either, So she has a bad the law.
Speaker 4: I guess even evil people can be angry about revenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think we're being pretty fair to her in here. I'm certainly accusing her of anything other than being a kind of media person that I think is unethical. But I still have that right. So yeah, before we get into the story, Jamie, mm hmmm, is not who I meant to call out there. Sophie has a thing to plug.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's hard for we don't have our cameras on.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the last couple of days since we recorded this, my family lost our family dog, Sydney, who had been with us for fourteen years, and she was immensely important to us. She was my mom's soul dog and just a light and she We're fortunate enough that she got wonderful end of life care from our vet, but most people can't afford venary care these days because it's so expensive. And I just wanted to plug an organization my vet recommends that does work to help people with who need hardship support during times when their pets might need life saving or life enhancing treatments, and that is Paisley Pause dot org. That's p A I S L E Y p A W S dot org. The dot org is important. There's another thing that's dot com, not dot com, it's dot org. So I just wanted to plug that. And yeah, Sydney was really special. So hug your best comparison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your pets the nice food this time. Yeah, don't economize on your pets.
Speaker 3: Buy them the nice food. Go into debt for your.
Speaker 2: Pets, go into debt for your pets. You know, rob a bank for your pat A lot of people are doing it this day these days, and it seems like there's no consequences. So you know, watch the movie, watch like the first two thirds of Heat, and like the first I watch like the right six minutes of Reservoir Dogs, and then don't watch anything else from those movies and go go rop a bank.
Speaker 1: I would just say Cidy was definitely pro crimes.
Speaker 2: There you go, speaking of crimes.
Speaker 4: John Wick an entire you know, crime in the Interest of Dogs franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, people love committing dog crimes. It's not those kinds. They hate a specific kind of dog crimes.
Speaker 3: Going half of Dogs, Paisleypaws dot Org.
Speaker 2: And we're back. We're warmed up, We're ready to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's lock it in, let's lock it out. When we left off with this story, Bill Balance again spelled with two l's, which my spell corrector will never accept. Made me angry. Microsoftware is a crime against humanity. Bill Gates should be too, a Volcana.
Speaker 3: Clippi will Clippi will pay.
Speaker 2: They all should pay. Bill Ballance and Laura Slashinger had just met over the radio waves, and he had had his producer get her number because Bill is a giant creep. Now, obviously this is the entertainment industry. He is definitely trying to have sex with her. This is not in a lopsided relationship entirely, though the power imbalance is. But Laura seems from the beginning to have been open to the idea that like, well, this could be how I get my foot in the door in the radio. So it's a it's a it's it's it's one of those kind of situations. And it's also worth noting Laura is at this point an adult with a master's degree and a marriage behind her, so that's a choice she can make, right. It is unclear to me whether she called into that show at the first place because she wanted to try and make a name for herself in radio, or if that only happened the way Bill claims it is. Because Bill is going to claim that once they have their relig relationship, because they are, in his words, dating, she does not use that term for it.
Speaker 4: The truth is, I feel like we have yet to encounter a credible source in this.
Speaker 2: Story, not one, not one good source on the life of.
Speaker 3: Doctor Laura's really challenging because you're just like, every time the new source is introduced, it's somehow less credible than everyone we've met so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's that's the right way this book goes, right, Yeah, that's the right way to look at this book. And part of why I suspect, part of why I'm trying to suggest that maybe Laura went into this with a plan is because Bill is a liar, and he is going to claim that he's responsible for her wanting to be in radio. And I don't know if I want to give that to Bill. Doctor Laura is among at least whatever else you want to say about her, a pretty like motivated, self directed, rational person. So I don't know, but but the truth will never be knowable here. The day after he Laura calls into his show, Bill is within twenty four hours at her parents home. He describes her as having what he called a quote thousand watt goal wing smile, which is not a phrase I've ever heard, and he claims that he convinced her she was a star and that she should get into radio. Laura has backed up aspects of this. Here's how she described their meeting. He came to my parents' home and sat across the table from me and looked me in the eye and said, someday you're going to be an international radio star. He's in the business thirty five years and he's never done this. And this is not a pickup line. We're at my parents' house, for God's sakes. The closest to radio I'd ever been was turning one on to get the weather report. I had no interest in it, no designs on it. But she does after Bill's call, and Bill gives her a pretty full charm offensive. He takes her to dinner at Musso and Franks, which is a fancy restaurant in LA to talk about her future. Wow again, did Bill? Because also one of the possibilities here is that Bill was both simultaneously a creep who wanted to hit on a younger woman and also thought she would be good in radio, because he actually does like help her make connections in radio. So I guess several different things are possible here, and we don't really know which. But it's definitely gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely gross.
Speaker 4: But you know, in the interest of I don't know, I feel like so many again, I feel like I'm coming to doctor Laura's defense.
Speaker 2: Fuck, but like she hasn't do anything I think is wrong here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, I mean I feel like this is like, this kind of situation is the source of so many, so many fraud complexes where I think that two things are true here, which is, if this man is a fucking creep and obviously I mean if she was.
Speaker 3: Untalented in radio, like in a you know, ethically valueless sense, she would not be on you know, still, she wouldn't still be working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he wasn't wrong, but he was a pervert.
Speaker 2: He wasn't wrong, but he was a pervert. And again, there's a lot of unknowables here. But Laura becomes a fixture at the station after this. She's initially just like a very regular guest. She makes I think some money doing that, you know, especially when they like bring her in to help basically co host episodes or segments. And she gets as a result of this, because she's on Bill's show so much, she gets offers I think initially from the same station, she gets like little jobs. Right she's not given her own show right away, but I think she's doing some guest hosting here and there. She's doing some like announcing she's doing some just whatever kind of vo they need, right. Bill describes her as not a natural someone who has mike fright, like is as scared of the microphone to start, but he says she develops skill and keeps with it. She certainly gets good at it. However, you know she started. Where Bill and Laura's stories largely diverge is that he says they started sleeping together and we're in a relationship for more than two years. Laura sort of denies this, but not fully. And it was the reason why Bill, as I said earlier, leaks a bunch of her naked photos to a porn website, which he does in exchange for fifty thousand dollars. Is god, Oh, he's a real creep. I don't know. I don't actually know how Richie was. You know, these guys also snorted all their money back then, so like it's entirely this man was. This man was a huge radio shock jock in nineteen seventy one. All of that money went right into cocaine. Good lord, Yeah, so you kind of have to go back and forth here. I generally prefer to build on this stuff. But like Bill sells naked photos of her and also like letters and notes that she had written him and signed him, like while they were seeing each other. Right, He provides all of that to this porn website and to I think when it becomes a big deal, but a couple other places, because she like ignores him at a party and denies that they ever saw each other, and so he's like, I'm gonna be a piece of shit, make money and also get you know, get back at her for not respecting me or whatever. Like that's the full context of why that stuff comes out. And it is here that I should note that while doctor Laura was an adult when this relationship started with a master's degree, Bill was the same age as her dad and had served, in fact in World War Two with her dad, but as a captain so well not like in the same unit, but like that's the age gap, right he is, this is like creepy. Yeah, uh huh. I just want to make just really don't want to be sleeping on the details of how bad a person Bill is. I just also don't want to like infantilize her in this Yeah yeah, the way he describes their relationship, she slept with him to get her foot in the door, and then abandon him as soon as she didn't need him anymore. And if that's what happens, I'm glad Bill's angry about it, right, I'll say that much, because he definitely sucks.
Speaker 3: This is also a ship piece of shit, pieces of shit begetting pieces of shit, but a beautiful story.
Speaker 2: I've heard people allege that like he was basically grooming her. You know, that's certainly a way to look at it. Laura does not describe it that way, but we'll never know.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: In addition to being a massive creep, Bill gives Laura some career advice that's going to prove crucial. He wants her to and this is kind of the biggest impact he actually does have other than like giving her a leg up into the business. Is he says, Hey, this having like professional medical advice people professional therapists and counselors give advice on people's fucked up lives is going to be a bigger business and entertainment in the future. You've already got like this scientific academic background's Laura is at this point working on her PhD. You should get your counseling certificate, right, so you actually have a professional credential to bring to the table because there's going to be a lot of money in that. And Laura commits to doing this now. Now, doing this is going to take like two thousands hours of supervised counseling work. But if he does it, Bill says he'll make her a regular like every week on the show, which is like a job. I don't know how much it pays, but it's like that's like paying work in the radio, right. Laura Gradually, as she's doing this, because she's on the show occasionally, she's doing some guest bits, and she's she's getting her counselor's license, she starts to kind of like hone in on what her personality on air ought to be, right, and she notices she has times when she's nice and she's like listening to people and she's empathetic, and she has times because she's kind of an angry person when she snaps at people and she's just like really shitting to them. And she starts to learn over the couple of years that she's doing this, people respond to me being mean, right.
Speaker 3: People love when and this is a clinical thing. People love when mommy yells at.
Speaker 2: Them uh huh, they do do.
Speaker 3: They love that shit so hard.
Speaker 2: They love that shit to a degree that may damn the whole species. One day, in the unauthorized biography, Doctor Christie, Bill's first on air medical expert. This is the guy Bill's working with before Laura comes in. He says that he gave Laura the advice to channel her angry Italian ancestry into her show, okay, and that Laura resisted this, and so Bill had to make an appeal to doctor Christie's authority. And this is how Vicky writes it. The only thing I could think to say was that he has impeccable credentials, continued balance, He's done so much more. He was senior advisor to the Shah of Iran. It's spent several years in the Middle East. He was a senior analyst for the Rand Corporation. I said, he's lived a longer life for you. So there's more to talk about in the introduction.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a sentence.
Speaker 2: So I love that. Look, you should really trust this man. He advised the Shah of Iran. You know how well that job went for him.
Speaker 4: God, and the fact that the Rand Corporation is like number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming onto this show to help us sort out your personal problems. The psychiatrist who told the czar he definitely die in a basement. Good stuff. So, while she's working on her counselor certificate, Laura continued her studies at Columbia, getting a PhD in nineteen seventy four, which allowed her to identify as doctor Laura Slashinger both in advertisements for her counseling business and on air. She would call herself doctor and then describe herself as a therapist or a relationship expert, et cetera. And this is something that a lot of people might have led them to believe that her doctorate was medical or in any way relevant to providing relationship with her.
Speaker 3: Rift is love this, It's a classic.
Speaker 2: It's a classic. She gets away with it forever. She is also going to attack colleagues who do the exact same thing in a way that is so vicious and like, but also the dedication she puts to it shows that, like, oh, she knows that this is her weakness, right, she knows that doctor Laura is way more marketable than Laura, right, And yeah, it's it's cool. It's cool that she understands this and recognizes that she has to attempt to nuke everyone else who does the same thing in order to protect her position. Here in the late nineteen seventies, while Laura is starting her career and is now a doctor, her parents get divorced, and right around the same time, she cuts Bill off, breaks things off with him, and starts going independent. This seems to have been partly inspired by the fact that she met Lewis Bishop, a fellow teacher at USC and a married man with three children, the youngest of whom was thirteen. Laura, intrigued by his sexy shoulders, started hitting on him. She that's her words. Look, I'm not I don't know Leu Bishop's shoulders are not mine to comment on.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe she was attracted to a jacket and she just didn't realize happened to a lot of.
Speaker 2: People in the nineties. You've seen those jackets.
Speaker 3: I know, it's like these are we're talking, I mean, we're talking about late century jackets. These are it's the jacket you want to fuck, and you could save yourself a lot of trouble by just doing that.
Speaker 2: And that's why you should never put on a jacket from the seventies. People. I have a lot of people get pressed.
Speaker 3: One left their husband for that jacket.
Speaker 2: That jacket is thirty percent human reproductive materials.
Speaker 3: There's just something about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she hits on him. Now again, This guy, Lewis has three kids, the youngestef who was thirteen. He is in a marriage. Laura will later claim that she only started to flirt with him when lou was separated from his wife Jean. Anonymous colleagues at USC claim she pursued him while he was still with his wife. Right, And obviously that doesn't mean that the blame is all on her, but it does mean that she was fine with hitting on a guy and fucking a guy who was in a who was married with kids, and like that is a thing she will tell people their scum for doing later. Right. I don't bring that up because I right, I carried to be a moral paraga on here. I'm just saying she's going to ship on people for as.
Speaker 3: The same thing she'll judge people for, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, for doing In fact, we'll judge people for doing ship that's not even that questionable, right anyway, For unrelated reasons, Here's a clip from a call to the doctor Laura Show, Jamie JP, Welcome to the program.
Speaker 6: Hey, yeah, hi with Laura. I had a quick question. Uh, I've been I've been seeing a Loma for for a number of years now, and I found I don't know what.
Speaker 7: A number of years means.
Speaker 2: How do you get him?
Speaker 6: Get him?
Speaker 7: Okay, you've been seeing this woman for two years? Are you shacked up together? Or you go drive to our house?
Speaker 6: No? We we we we you know we we hang out together with Dontne's and you know.
Speaker 7: Are you shacked up or do you live in two different places?
Speaker 6: Oh? No, we live in different places.
Speaker 7: Okay, good. Either one of you have minor children.
Speaker 6: I don't she? Uh she has like teenagers?
Speaker 7: And how old are her teenagers?
Speaker 6: I'd rather not. I don't feel like comfortable to say that, but I just don't want Yeah that's nothing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I need to know how old they are. And I don't see how that's going to be a distinguishing characteristic. Everybody's already recognized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why do you need that?
Speaker 7: They're both sixteen? They're twins.
Speaker 6: Well, no, it's sixteen, seventeen.
Speaker 7: Sixteen and seventeen. Okay, that gives you two years of dating her. If you want to marry her, you have to wait two more years until the kids are up and out. They don't need to deal with you in the house. That usually doesn't work out very well.
Speaker 8: Okay, So hmmm h yeah, yeah, so that's that's fucked up, right, because number one, this guy just does not even.
Speaker 2: Because you know, what she actually did was get into a relationship with a married man behind like the back of the woman in that relationship, and then the family broke up as a result of that whole thing. Not putting all the blame on her either, but that was the situation she was in, right. This guy is just saying, I want to date this woman who has two sixteen year olds, and she's like, well, you can't. You can't marry them or have a serious relationship with her while they're teenagers, right, because that would disrupt them too much. And it's like, what about the what about a thirteen year old in this situation you were in?
Speaker 3: Honestly, she's a gigantic, fucking hypocrite. I'm like more interested in how like listening to her operate, Like it's it's the same deal with Bill.
Speaker 2: She like, drill, what's their age?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like she's just like a shark looking for an angle, and like if one angle doesn't pan out, she will wait for him to talk two to three more seconds and try the next angle.
Speaker 2: And it's it's just I mean, it's brutal her audience. One thing they like is scummy men or men who were you know, weak or something, And so you you want to first off, it's about getting him off balance, right, the more things that you can needle him on like constantly, like he does that this, or she does at the start of the call where he's like a number of years, like how many years? Right is it? Because that that is the most important thing. No, but number one, it maybe gives her something she can pivot off of later. And number two, by starting it like that, by like drilling on him, she's getting him off balance. She's making him more nervous. Hopefully he'll say something else that she can drill him into and how he said it right her?
Speaker 4: And for like a first judgment because even when she when she like takes in the information of two, I was genuinely unsure which way she was going to go. Just that whichever way it went, it was going to be a weird judgment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I and I think it because it's like of the issues to have. I don't think it's reasonable to be like, well, you shouldn't marry someone when they have teenagers because that will disrupt the team. No, you, it's your responsibility as an adult in there to not fuck up their lives. I'll agree with that, but you marrying their mom is not necessarily that thing, right.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is a part of the show, I'm sure, but like by the time that interaction was over, I forgot what, if anything the question was.
Speaker 2: Because for some extent, it's about that constant feeling of like hearing someone who is who who is together attacking all of these people for being slothful and lazy and like not you know, yea, these these symptoms of our degraded modern society and all of its cultural law. Right, that's a lot of what the people who like this show get out of it, right, Right, that's good. I think that that relates to the topic of question.
Speaker 4: Okay, so she is like a manipulative hypocrite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's kind of a Doctor Laura's story. Okay, the Doctor Laura's Stora not a good joke not really a joke.
Speaker 4: Throughout the Robert, I gave you the pity laugh, and I regret it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate taking it back. I take it back. I'm sucking it back.
Speaker 2: I'm going to I'm giving great lesson to all of the men out there, you know, because pity laughs spend the same as real laughs, which is not very well stop laughing. That was not a bad one. That was a joke.
Speaker 3: That was a real one. The first one mis fake that one. Really, I'm sorry, Sophie.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take joy of that real laugh and I'm going to take it with me into these ads.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, No, I'm party to something.
Speaker 2: Here's Here's is coming after you.
Speaker 1: I have bad news, which might also be good news for both of you. I know, when each of you is real laughing and fake laughing every.
Speaker 3: Day I leave that. I've never let myself take that in. Of course you do.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all of you?
Speaker 2: Huh and we're back. Ah. What a great time, What a great time to be alive. Doctor Laura's world.
Speaker 8: So Yes.
Speaker 2: Through the early eighties, Laura got a series of low stakes radio gigs at small stations. She spent years trying and failing to break into the mainstream on her own while in order to make money teaching at USC and maintaining a private practice. Her first big break was in September of nineteen eighty three with the nationally syndicated program Breakaway. Like a lot of shows, they were trying to capture the success Bill Balance had seen by bringing in a resident therapist to help gaucket people. Laura does well enough in this job that soon she is pitching her first TV pilot for a show called Conflict Wishes. Uh oh, if only Fraser would have loved this show.
Speaker 3: Fucking dream. I mean, this actually would have been a pretty.
Speaker 2: Good episode of Frasher. The idea would be that, like, people would come to doctor Laura with problems and they would she would give them advice, they would take it, and then six weeks later they would come back to discuss if it had worked. Now, this was not going to be a real like even in the pilot they do they bring in actors, which is not abnormal for reality shows. But when she has a show later, she will lie about people being actors. So I'm going to assume it would all of it lies. This doesn't sell, Laura will continue to try to force her way onto television, a dream which she does technically succeed at but never really works out for her. She is a radio star, right. I found a demo reel, which, to my best knowledge dates from sometime in the late nineteen eighties to early nineties. What stands out to me in this video is that this is a Laura who has not yet become the person we've heard in the clips that I've played. She is less aggressive, more nervous, more focused on actually providing some sort of useful feedback.
Speaker 3: And she's wearing a fabulous brooch.
Speaker 2: She is wearing an ice brooch. And I'm going to let Jamie play some of this or Sophie play some of this audio for me. Well, I women write an apology letter for that.
Speaker 1: Hello, Sue, I'll have one.
Speaker 9: I want to know how I can tell my daughter how far she can go on a date and win. I began to tell her that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how old is your daughter?
Speaker 9: My daughter is fifteen?
Speaker 10: Has she been dating already?
Speaker 9: No? Not? I want her to start dating, and I want to know when to start telling him these things.
Speaker 10: How do you assess your daughter? Do you think she's a bit shy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: She's very shy, very very shy, and I'm afraid that she needs to know this because I don't want her to go too far and trying to win acceptance with the guy.
Speaker 10: Oh so you're it sounds Yeah, I guess I had a feeling that you were thinking that maybe for her the sexuality might be a tool for making the connection, or for communication, or for getting acceptance or approval maya guy.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, there's a couple times that are really interesting about that.
Speaker 10: To me.
Speaker 2: For one thing, you would not find that, I think irresponsible. That was how a therapist talked to.
Speaker 3: You, right, No, it seems like she was like, uh, I mean I think she is.
Speaker 4: Oh god, there's so much Fraser. There's so much Fraser low hanging fruit here. She is always like whether she's doing a good or a bad job. She's always listening very carefully. But this was like a non menacing, like actually instructive kind of listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the question she asked number one, her tone is not aggressive, and number two, she's clearly not using it too needle, but to actually get more information, which she seems to actually process and respond to rather than take in a separate direction. Right, Like if this was on her show, she would never say Okay, so it seems like you think your daughter might be looking at sex as a way to connect to people, which is a reasonable and fair way to express a worry about like a teenager having sex, but without like being judgmental, you're just saying, I think maybe they see sex as this and so this, you know, I'm concerned that it might lead to this or that right in their relationships, as opposed to oh, she's she wants to shack up because she thinks that's how you get boys to like you or something like that would be how Laura would express it today.
Speaker 4: Right, right, I mean, even the tone that she says shack up with, like it's just this doesn't feel like there is an explicit agenda to it, even though it's like I'm sure that the you know, like advice she's going to give is like fairly conservative, but like, yeah, but it doesn't feel malicious in the way that the first clip did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it's because it's really not because at this point she doesn't realize how much money that's going to make her.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, my therapist has a roommate, So that's how I know she's.
Speaker 2: Good, Yeah, it's interesting, Like it is actually good therapy advice that she gives. Like later in that call, the mother discussions that, like, you know, I made a lot of mistakes when I was her age in regards to relationships. I'm afraid she's going to repeat my mistakes. And Laura's advice is very responsible. She's like, well, you should go to your daughter. You should open up about your own life and how you feel about the choices you've made and kind of maybe that can guide her to like where you are right. And I like, yeah, that's actually good advice, you know, not just yelling at your kid, not just saying you're not allowed to do this, but be like, well, look, you know this is what happened to me when I was young, Like this is maybe information you should have, and here's how I feel about it. I think that that's like responsible advice. It's not like overwhelming or shocking advice. But and I think that's why this doesn't work. Right. There's no big TV show in people having thoughtful therapists consider their problem.
Speaker 3: Reasonable conversations on television.
Speaker 2: You want the worst people you've ever seen being insane assholes to each other. That's why always Sonny's been on the air for so long.
Speaker 7: Well, I really do.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about this. I forget what show I was watching a clip from it. It might have been like that show Couples Therapy, but like people either want to watch a reasonable person talking to the most unhinged like or like most troubled patients imaginable effect yes yes, yeah, or an unhinged therapist scolding like pretty well adjusted people and nothing in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, sorry, Louis get it. Yeah yeah. Watch Weird Weekends. There's a great episode on that with preppers that really predicts a lot of our current or at least shows the early stage of our current weird militia commact. Great show. Ah, louis complicated man. Speaking of complicated people, Laura's life is pretty complicated because while she is trying to get a radio show and working as a therapist, she and her now husband Lou have a kid. Lou had been a teacher when they had met at the school she taught at and had had to retire in disgrace because of everything that happened with doctor Laura, and so he is kind of like working as her manager for a bunch of this period, I don't think he he is not the breadwinner, to be sure. Right, it seems like a lot of the family finances are on Laura's shoulder. That's the feeling that I get. None of this is like precise, but that is at least what I'm led to believe by Vicky's book. Who knows how he's.
Speaker 3: Kind of like he's mommaging her a little bit.
Speaker 2: It seems like it if how Vicky's have how the mostly anonymous people Vicky quotes like if that's accurate?
Speaker 3: Right, there's so many despicable people attempting to tell this totally bad because yeah, you can see a world where it's like that is just a tool to make to emasculate.
Speaker 2: No one who doesn't suck has ever been within thirty feet of Laura's lensing Like that's the lesson of bits, so will never know, will never know.
Speaker 3: There's no Forrest Gup like character to give us insight.
Speaker 2: Tragic. There is, however, a son named Derek with a why sorry, OK, it's a spade spelled Derek. There's no other way to say. Look, I'm not trying to punch down Derek, but.
Speaker 3: Your name is not Derek.
Speaker 4: We support you and your I think almost inevitable.
Speaker 3: You know Scott interests.
Speaker 2: A SKA band. Wait wait yeah, d E R y K.
Speaker 3: Thank you Scott.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely he's He's got a name that would have made him fit in the mighty mighty Bosstones. Maybe he give him the idea to do that embarrassing album about George Floyd.
Speaker 3: Oh look, the city hasn't bounced back.
Speaker 2: Scott has not bounced back from that album. No, no, it's just something you can't pick it up, pick it up, pick it up? After that? Wow, So I love I love getting any chance to do a skapit.
Speaker 3: Oh, so you have it.
Speaker 2: A couple years after Derek is born, Laura is going to make a major point of like her show, that women who have kids should not have a career if they can avoid it. That it is not fair to raise kids and have a career at the same time for a woman. And I want to give you an idea of how she talks about this. I want to play you a call from a one woman named Rosemary who is on track. She claims to be partner at a law firm and is trying to decide should I get a nanny for my kids. Right, And here is Laura's response.
Speaker 3: Rational I'm sure.
Speaker 7: If you were your kid, what would you want your mother to do?
Speaker 10: I would definitely want my mom to stay home with me.
Speaker 7: That's your answer. I think you should never have had a child. If becoming a partner and all of that stuff was that important, you never should have had a child.
Speaker 2: Part of the love of it is it's not important to me.
Speaker 10: I don't even especially lost my job, and I do love being home with my baby girl.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know why you asked the question. Then I feel that hearing a lot.
Speaker 6: If I'm an internal voice, but also I'm hearing.
Speaker 7: I asked you a simple question. If you or your daughter, what would you want your mother to do? There is no other debate other than the answer to that, I'd want to be mothered. You said, why would you even contemplate something different for your kid than you would want for yourself. I care about doing much best for my daughter, and unless you are a really bad mother, having you home. Uh huh okay, having you home is the best for her.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Also in this uh, in this window, Sophie just had to open the copy, was like, don't buy the feminist fly you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Laura has a big lot of bits about how the feminists have ruined women by making them want careers.
Speaker 4: I just it's I don't know. I it's so frustrating because it's like, does she ever at any point try to justify the fact that she has a career. Is there any exugenation as to why that is, or does she She's.
Speaker 3: Just the exception.
Speaker 2: She lies for one thing, because she says, as a spoiler, she says, we spent the for the first three years, I didn't leave the house. That's not true. We'll talk about But also that's three years. She's not telling this woman because maybe her kids are both older than three. Right, She's saying, you should quit your job. That could provide so well for your family that your kids might be taken care of. Right, but you could pay like partner to law firms, not like a not a shit job.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: That could be the path to quite a bit of wealth. She's saying, give that up because otherwise you will not be responsible parent. When what she did was continue to work on being a radio personality while her child was very young. Right, I don't think that's wrong. I actually think that's very impressive. My mom got a second master's degree in her late forties while she was raising us so that she can start a new career. Right, Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't if that if she were to be honest about who she is. The advice to give this woman is, like, you know, be cautious of how you know. Once you start having your kids watched by an eight, talk to them. Be cognizant of how this is affecting them. If you get a sense that you know the individual you've picked or just this situation is harming them, then you may need to reappraise things. But like many children have had a nanny a couple of nights a week, especially if they're kids who were older, and it's not. When I was fucking ten or eleven, I would I loved any time one or both of my parents were out because I got more time to read books and talk to weird adults on the internet, which was never.
Speaker 3: Goes bad, unavoidable. No, it's always fine, and unfortunately it can't be stopped.
Speaker 5: No, not.
Speaker 2: We have learned that it's not the same.
Speaker 3: My parents being home prevented that. It just made it harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's obviously like these are, especially if if you're an only parent, like it's a complicated, difficult thing. But the fact of the matter is, however, you see about that Laura literally did the thing where she didn't spend all of her time at home to take so that she could build her career because she knew how much money.
Speaker 9: Was in it.
Speaker 2: And she's telling this woman not to do the same thing. I think that's shitty, right, That's all I gotta say on the matter, right. Yeah, So, because this is such a through line and her advice to women, Laura makes a point to claim that she managed to be doctor Laura. She says she only works like two hours a day or at least during this period, and then again, she didn't leave home for the first three years. Vicki Bain is going to claim this.
Speaker 7: Is a lie.
Speaker 2: Although Laura had been teaching a nighttime graduate level psychology course at Pepperdine University branches in the San Fernando Valley since January nineteen eighty two, she took the fall semester of nineteen eighty five off to prepare for Derek's birth, but lou was left to babysit Derek, then two months old. When Laura returned to Pepperdine in January nineteen eighty six to continue her hour and a half long Tuesday evening clinical practicum for psychology students, Laura also maintained a Saturday private practice, again sharing office on Ventura Boulevard, and in mid nineteen eighty six, when Derek with Derek not yet six months old, she added another teaching commitment to her work at Pepperdine and her private practice. So she's just it's just like, does she does the opposite of what she said? I don't think that.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, it's like she feels she sounds almost like a you know, stereotypical media like projection of like a working woman of the eighties whose business is talking other women out of doing that. Like it's just yeah, and you know, I'll be damned if that's not a profitable I mean, there is just an infinite amount of money to be made in making women feel horrible about themselves, because there's no point in your life where that is not precedent.
Speaker 2: It's just everything that. From what I can tell, laura values in her life comes from the fact that she was willing to spend less time with her infant child in order to further her careers. Right, Yeah, I don't think that's a reasonable choice. She makes a lot of money enough to make sure that kid never wants for anything. I'm not I'm not going to come here and say that's not she did the wrong thing. But the wrong thing is like pretending that other people who have that chance or just to need to work, because everyone does usually that they're being a bad mom, which they're not, right right, right, which I.
Speaker 4: Mean, especially in the back half of that like is just oh, like it made my stomach clench a little bit for the for the woman on the phone, like because she that like soft defense of like I'm not a bad mother.
Speaker 3: She's like, okay, well then.
Speaker 2: Well then you should be at her job.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh god, they're just like a yeah, it is a certain kind of hell.
Speaker 2: Yes. Uh So, while Laura was by her own standards, working out of the home and being a bad working outside of the home and being a bad mom, she was also being a bad therapist by anyone's standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's her job.
Speaker 2: One of the anonymous sources for Vicky's book is a former student of Laura's. So this is a woman taking Laura's classes, and during one day when they're talking, Laura basically says, you should become my patient at my therapy business. Now, I don't think you're allowed to do that's a therapist. I think that's probably not ethical, but I don't know. It was. It was the eighties, right, A lot more everyone is on cocaine, right, so it's hard not to invite people to be therapized by a baby. Baby Derek is doing more cocaine than a nightclub DJ could survive doing in modern terms.
Speaker 3: Baby Derek dug up some loops. Dudes, He's in the backyard. He's good to go.
Speaker 2: It's it's like how alien people talk about the Pyramids, Like we have lost the knowledge as a species for how to do as much cocaine as they did back then, as Baby Derek and doctor Laura are all doing every single day.
Speaker 3: A long way the student truth.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm going to continue with that quote from Victory Vicky's book. It was her way or no way, the said the student turned patient. Basically, I walked in and she said, I want you to tape all your sessions. I expect all my patients to bring in a tape. We use my tape recorder. We're going to tape everything. Basically, I think what she was saying was, if you listen to this over and over again, you'll get more out of it. According to this patient, the tapes were returned to her after each session and are still in the patient's possession. They document some boundary breaking activities between therapists and patient. Over the next two and a half years, this patient met with Laura almost weekly, paying her one hundred dollars an hour for her work. I guess she took a liking to me, recalled the patient who added and I guess at that point in my life I needed the attention. She reeled me in and broke nearly every boundary that there is. For example, the former patient said, there was a young man she was seeing right before me, so we would kind of pass each other there in the waiting room. She would talk to me about what some of his shoes were. That really freaked me out because I wondered if she was telling the next person about me. Then there was a very non newscaster who was also seeing her as a therapist on the same time I was, and Laura talked a little bit about him as well. She asked me to babysit her son on several occasions. Laura said, I don't talk to my sister, and Derek hasn't doesn't have an aunt. I want you to be his aunt. So that is a boundary, you know.
Speaker 3: That is bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I've had a therapist be like I cannot if I were to meet you out in the world, I would like leave immediately and pretend not to know you. Yeah, Like, I'm not sure if that's the norm for everyone, but you are certainly not supposed to ask them to be your aunt or your kid's aunt.
Speaker 3: No, oh, I feel like this.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's I wouldn't go as far as to say that like doctor Laura's work is directly in conversation with this, but like the fact that she is a very like, you know, an increasingly public therapist figure and then in the eighties feels directly in conversation. But like how therapists were presented as these savior figures during the Satanic Panic too, and just like how this was such a popular and like still publicly somewhat trusted grift despite however, much evidence, like recorded evidence to the contrary.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I I yeah. Anyway, for years after this point, Laura and this patient become weirdly remained very close. The patient later claimed or claims that Lou was a helicopter parent that he or helicopter husband. So basically, this patient says Lou was there every class she would do at the college. He was always around. He was like obsessed with her success. And Derek was not there. So maybe they even hired a nanny. Right. The good news is that doctor Laura had enough time while raising a kid to start up another business, this one making custom sweaters for major film productions. And Jamie, this is where the show goes in a shocking direction, because I will bet you did not call that the sweater's Whoopee, Goldberg War and Sister Act were made by doctor Laura Slusheger. What yes, I just man when this was coming across this, Jamie, there's an experience. I feel like I am the only one who can understand what like pirate captains felt when they like landed and actually like hit treasure in their shovel, right, because that's how it felt. Reading that detail, I am floating.
Speaker 4: Three feet above the ground. The slack from my mic to my zoom recorded the only thing tethering me to the art.
Speaker 2: How how God fascinating stuff. At least one custom sweater. I know, I know, I love it. It's glorious. She also made some of the Lost Boys costumes and hook. I just there's no way to be ready for that. No, it hits like a like a like a cyclone of.
Speaker 3: Woman's heart as an ocean of secrets, like amazing. Never.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know which sweater in Sister Act that doctor Laura made, but it was apparently for whoopee, so well.
Speaker 3: I would be open to Yeah, someone started like a poll.
Speaker 4: Some of the watch hook which one is which sweater is giving you an aura of menace?
Speaker 2: And anyway? Wow wild stuff. Yeah. So Laura is finally syndicated on air in the mid nineteen eighties, but she loses the show. This is another unhinged twist. The network that owns her show is bought by the Liberty Lobby, which was founded by a Nazi named Lewis Cartow as a political action group for the far right, and also published the newspapers Spotlight, which was dedicated to Holocaust denial.
Speaker 3: Far less shocking to me than the sweat.
Speaker 2: You know, Laura is number one not a fan of people who deny the Holocaust. She is half Jewish. She's going to become Orthodox Jewish for a period of time, then she stops. But at any rate, she does not thrive here. She quits the station not long after it's taken over by the far right. We don't know the exact reasons, but it might have had something to do with the fact that they were really bad people.
Speaker 3: So for you, doctor Laura has a line.
Speaker 2: Doctor Laura had a line at least who knows about today, But she did have a line then, and she gets credit for that. Good for you, Good on you, Bill Balance. After she leaves, maybe she was fired also, It's really unclear to me, but in which case, less kudos. But according to Bill Balance, she called him and begged for help, saying that she would kill herself if she couldn't get back on the radio. Bill is a huge liar. I don't know that. That doesn't really sound like Laura to me, but maybe maybe she did. The good news for Laura was that things turned around for her very quickly after this point. Near the end of the nineteen eighties, a radio executive picked her to replace Sally Jesse Raphael. Her primary competition for the role was a woman named Barbara DeAngelis. Today, Barbara is a prominent author, lecturer, and New York Times best selling author. She is a PhD in psychology from Columbia Pacific University, which is not a real college. It's kind of state approved but not accredited. It is sketchy, right, Yeah, Now Laura is going to go to war with this woman because she calls herself doctor Barbara DeAngelis and get like she will complain to station management, and station management will make it, like, stop Barbara from describing herself as a doctor on air. Laura, doctor Laura has is definitely a real PhD from a real accredited school, but it's in kinniestiesiology. It is not in anything relevant to what she is doing on air. It is not in like therapy or in counseling. It is somewhat dishonest for her to portray herself in this context as.
Speaker 3: Doctor waah, but she still does.
Speaker 2: It's actively dishonest. Yeah, And like it's weird because also it's dishonest for Barbara de Angelis to coll herself and.
Speaker 3: Let's find the most lyingest people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, find so. I don't know, you can dubious truphy. Yeah, you can feel however you want about that. But she's definitely a hypocrite.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: Colleagues at the time added that Laura was by far the most aggressive person at the radio station. Any disagreement or conflict with her was likely to result in weeks or years of vicious shit talking. And this is what Barbara says happened to her, that Laura basically becomes like he's almost stalking her in a professional sense. This escalates to Laura sending an anonymous complaints to the Board of Behavioral Science Examiners that Barbara DeAngelis was fraudulently portraying herself as a doctor, which I guess she was anyway. She also sends a letter to the da of Los Angeles accusing Barbara of practicing medicine without a license, which I don't know that Barbara was doing. Although maybe this is.
Speaker 4: A very like boomer woman con like just right, it's watching like the Barbara v.
Speaker 2: Laura or h I like people.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you're like all of all of these generic boomer women names need to no good.
Speaker 2: I wish. Neither of them had ever had a job giving people life advice. I guess this is where I land on the Barbara Laura debate.
Speaker 3: It's it's hard to find someone professionally giving life advice who also has a pathological gift for attention.
Speaker 2: I have known a couple of people who were like good enough at life that I think their advice has a would have a monetary value. And they are all way too busy living good lives to get on the radio and do that check, right, And.
Speaker 3: That is what is supposed and that is like the beautiful catch twenty two of people worth listening to. They're usually too busy to talk to you.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, which is why you're left with people.
Speaker 3: Like me, and that's why we're here.
Speaker 2: Ponder that while you listen to these ads. Ah, So Barbara leaves the station KFI while she and where she and Laura have their quarrel. She later would claim that this happens in nineteen ninety two, several months after she left quote, I received a call from a woman who sounded very nervous on the phone. She said she had been a patient and a friend of Laura's, and she wanted to meet and talk to me because she had some information. She came out and told me that she knew for a fact it was Laura, as I suspected, who had set out to destroy my career and discredit me, because she had heard Laura say it from her mouth and not just say it, but scream it. Now. Again, no good sources here Barbara's story does, or at least Vicky finds other people who worked at KFI who back up aspects of the story, including that Laura was incredibly hostile to Barbara. So yeah, I don't have trouble believing that she orchestrated this woman's expulsion from the network because she was threatened by her because she was competition, right. I also think that Barbara definitely was portraying herself as a doctor, and I don't really think she was.
Speaker 3: I don't think there. Yeah, again, there's like I'm rooting for no one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm rooting for those sweaters in hook. Maybe I'll have to watch that movie again and really have an eye for the sweaters.
Speaker 4: I hope they're able to sort of dig themselves out from yeah, the trauma.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, yeah, I'm so shocked by that. Relief reveal. What a baffling thing to learn in the middle of this it comes. It's like, yeah, it's like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, just bam. Now there's sister act in the middle of this story.
Speaker 3: It's a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is like this moment where you're like, wait, is this gonna change the direction of her life?
Speaker 3: And it's like no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: No, no, really doesn't make it unrelated, a complete red herring for the future of Laura's slack.
Speaker 3: There's no narrative to be gotten from it. It just is.
Speaker 2: You would cut this out of the script on her life because like, why are we doing this? Where are we going on this journey? This doesn't teach us anything, This doesn't contribute to who she becomes. But life isn't a story, people. Yeah, the nearly nineteen nineties we're a precarious time financially for the Slushingers. They had a devastating house fire and we're basically on the edge of eviction, horribly in debt. At least a Vicki's story is accurate. The story one is left believing, if we take that book as more or less true, is that doctor Laura was ruthless and so cruel to Barbara, in part because she saw that like, if I don't get if I don't break through in radio, we're fucked right. We've kind of bet everything on this, and I don't like being a therapist. We get a vision of her during this awkward period through a piece of rare, nearly lost media, or at least we can learn about her a little in her absence in this lost media, because we're not actually going to hear her in this. This is a recording of the Meeting of the Mouths, a radio special hosted by Tom Lacas, who I think I've done ads for. He's one of the first shock jocks. He came right after Bill Balance and right before Howard Stern. Right, so, if you're if you're looking at like where we land on the descendants chart, Lacas comes out of balance. Stern kind of is birthed somewhere in at miasthma. Although Stern is on the air by the time they're talking about him. I need to.
Speaker 3: Turn onside this. I absolutely hate to test despise the phrase Meeting of the Bouths.
Speaker 2: It's horrible, it's so gress and this this is like a big radio specially get a bunch of hosts together in a room, right, So Laura is big enough that she's made it into the room with Tom Lakas, who's a significant name. Also in this video is Barbara DeAngelis, Rush Limbaugh and some other dudes who matter less than either of them. So this is during that awkward period. I don't have any of Laura in here because she's very quiet, so is Barbara, and it's kind of unclear to me when one is talking or the other because they're not on great audio.
Speaker 3: Sound the same to you, to say it, all women sound the same.
Speaker 2: But the point is that, like, you learn a lot about her position here. This is nineteen like ninety, she and Barbara are kind of just putting in very little, right. It's mostly Tom Lakas and Rush Limbaugh, who has just exploded at this time. It gives you an idea of where her standing is. Right if this had been a couple of years later, Laura would have been talking as much as Rush like, because she does become that level of figure. So this gives you an idea of kind of where this is her early career. And honestly, we could get away without playing this clip but Rush Limbaugh's gonna say something here that I just feel I've had to listen to it, and now you're gonna listen to it. And for some context, this is Tom Lacas and Rush Limbaugh arguing about the band Two Live Crew, who have had to cancel several shows after being accused of profanity.
Speaker 3: You can you're not allowed to throw in another hard left like this.
Speaker 2: I know it's wild stuff. Tom is arguing Two Live Cruise shouldn't be censored. Basically, right, I don't approve of them being so profane, but it's bad that they're having to cancel the shows, and Rush being like, as long as the government doesn't have a law, can't saying they can't do their show, it's fine. Right, that's the argument, And I'm just going to play you a clip from that argument.
Speaker 1: Just warning Jamie listeners, you're going to hate this.
Speaker 2: Oh you're not going to be happy, but it's happening.
Speaker 3: Well, why did we gather here?
Speaker 5: And are you not troubled that the whole focus of the particular song in question of Two Live Crew was to talk about how much fun it is to bust female vaginal walls, to rip them apart to rip them.
Speaker 2: I'm troubled by it, but I also know that the free market would eventually determine that most people don't want to buy a record like I just that had to be with other people. I never heard Rush Limbas say vaginal walls before, and I wish I am male vaginal female vaginal walls. I'm so sorry, but it's maybe this isn't me now, and now what's in you?
Speaker 3: This is maybe? Like but like he said.
Speaker 4: It, you know, exactly like you would think you to grow like, which is worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: If you were like a comedian doing a fake Rush Limbaugh voice and like reading out rap lyrics right because you thought that was funny, you would say that phrase the way that Rush said it.
Speaker 3: There, Well, that's I mean, that's like that guy's whole beat, right, that's the Rush Limbo effect.
Speaker 4: That's the Jordan Peterson. In fact, they're always performing a bad snl.
Speaker 2: Ben Shapiro reading a wet ass pussy right, like, yes, part of the appeal, that's part of.
Speaker 4: Their comedians are left dead in a ditch over the self parody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's part of what works with them.
Speaker 3: Seeing through vaginal walls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody somebody's gonna clip that one out and turn that into a track.
Speaker 3: Thank god, was that an iambic pentameter? Do you think?
Speaker 2: Yes, it must have been, a lot of people don't know this, but both the show Deadwood and everything rush Limbaugh ever said perfect diambic pentameter. Gorgeous. So all of that's very unpleasant. But you can see nineteen ninety she has not found her footing right because she is not. She doesn't say anything when rush Limbaugh says that. But in nineteen ninety four she does break through, and she owes a lot of the success she has. Finally to her her co host in this recording, rush Limbaugh, his success had put conservative talk radio on the map. So Bill Balance makes it clear to the people with money and radio, oh, these women are listening to shows, and rush Limbaugh makes it clear that like people like weird loud, right wing assholes, and putting those two together is going to make it very clear that doctor Laura has an audience right.
Speaker 4: Even listening to shows could be dangerous, better a wrench in the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, Yeah, exactly. So this is gonna work out well for her now to fit into this new market. Doctor Laura makes herself harsher crueler and you know, more Rush Limbaugh esque.
Speaker 3: That's all daft punk remix.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Much of her success is supercharged by the fact that she also times the release of her first book wonderfully. In nineteen ninety four, I think ninety four ninety five, she publishes the advice book Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives. Yes, if you ever heard the show, you heard this title. I knew the name of doctor Laura's first book without even having to research it because I heard a million times on the air.
Speaker 3: I've seen without knowing. Yeah, I mean that book has endured.
Speaker 2: It absolutely has. And I'm going to read you the first five chapters, and each each chapter comes with like a little sentence that I guess is supposed to be a scriptor Number one, and these are again the ten stupid things women do to mess up their lives. Number one stupid attachment is a woman just a woe woe woe on a man. You typically look to the context of a man to find and defined yourself. I don't understand why should wrote that. That doesn't wa a whoa wo whoa on a man? What does that mean? Anyway, Stupid courtship, I finally found someone I could attach to, and other stupid ideas about dating. Desperate to have a man, you become a beggar, not a chooser in the dating scene. Stupid devotion, but I love him and more stupid romantic stuff. You find yourself driven to love and suffer and sucker or do you spell that sucker in vain? Stupid passion? Whoa, oh yeah, oh ah, we're breathing hard. It must mean love. You have sex too soon to romantically and set yourself up to be burned. Stupid cohabitation the ultimate female self delusion. So stop lying to yourself. You're not living with him because you love him. You're living with him because you hope he'll want you.
Speaker 1: You can't, you generally can't tell me that this isn't just like articles written by Carrie Bronshaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say the front half of that was like a semi good, if a little conservative Olivia Marico sink and then it just sort of descended into madness.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So looking into this book is very frustrating. It starts with the introduction, where we learned that her book on Women was inspired by two men. The second of those two men was her father and the first was an engineer at KFI. Quote. After working with me for more than six months, three hours a night, five days a week, Dan Mandis was hearing approximately twenty five women per show agonize over some dumb guy. You know, Laura. He told me in an unguarded moment, if you listen to your show long enough, you begin to think women are stupid. And that's kind of the core of what the Doctor Laura Show is and why it's toxic.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you mean you mean whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa man our stupid man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's that's a lot of it.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite part.
Speaker 2: She has again, as I talk about like she is kind of like she succeeds by doing the thing that is still a lot of why. How like internet discourse works, Right, you find someone who's saying something you can clip out of context or something shitty, and then you lay into them for a bunch of people who don't know them, right, Like, that's the gist of Doctor Laura. That's why the Internet works the way it does. We all want to believe that we're smarter than we are right, and Laura aimed herself specifically at a special kind of middle American Christian conservative, someone like my mom, Right, people who have had tough goes of it, who are scared or angry about the things that they see out in the world, and they want, you know, they need, rather than blaming the systems, to blame the freeloaders. Right, the people they imagine are responsible for their difficulties, the people that they imagine are less responsible and good than they are. And doctor Laura provides that. Right, it's just like on you know, same as it ever was. Right now, It is not a coincidence that doctor Laura explodes in popularity in the mid nineties. This is the tipping point from modern conservative grievance politics the media, and they're they're angry because Bill Clinton has just to their eyes, unjustly taken power from them after three presidential terms and is a very immoral man. And his immorality coincides with an explosion online, in explicit films and TV like the Simpsons. Right, you get all these you get all these media that conservatives get angry about. Right when the Simpsons may seem tame toy now, but early and it's it's time on the air. Barbara Bush when she was First Lady, attacked it, right, which is why there's a whole Simpsons episode starring the Bushes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like that does that is good context for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she attacks the show because she does. Like The Simpsons was fairly unique in that period, a show where there's like there's nothing redeeming about the country or about like a lot of the people in it, Like the police are corrupt, the mayor is a crook. All of the politicians are crooks, like the alcoholics, you know, Like right.
Speaker 4: The school, the teachers don't have the best interests of their students.
Speaker 2: They do not give a shit about their students.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like it's beautiful, it's perfect art.
Speaker 2: It's very cynical, and it made a lot of it. It's part of this. It's not the only thing doing, but it makes a lot of conservatives feel attacked and under fire, right, a lot of conservatives who maybe wanted to feel that way because it's more exciting than just living in the suburbs, taking your kids to school, working forty hours a week at an air conditioned office. Right, you want to feel like you're part of a culture war. You're being attacked, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Like it gives you a sense of there's a sense of order, there's a sense of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and a sense of action, right yeah. And I found an interview with doctor Laura from nineteen ninety four and the Los Angeles Radio Guide. It quotes her as saying, my values are an oasis in the middle of a moral nothingness. I am single handedly trying to change this lack of ethics and values. Great stuff. Oh so she's a crusader for a crusader, you know, you know, took part in the breaking up of a marriage lot or told secrets from her patients to other patients, engineered the distruction of another woman's career, you know. But like whatever, Right, she's an oasis of morality. Yes, So during this interview with the Los Angeles Radio Guide, which I guess used to have enough leaders to be a magazine, she described the chief problem of modern women as quote they does find success by things other than their family relationships. I mean, Laura hates her entire family aside from I guess her kid and her husband, but certainly does not have other family beyond that that she's close with and.
Speaker 3: The feeling doesn't seem like the other.
Speaker 2: SOI right, right, that's wrong to have be fucked up with your family and have a good career. I'm fucked up with my family and have a good career, but it's wrong to tell people you shouldn't do.
Speaker 3: That, right, I just I wonder. I mean, I know that there's no clean answer for this, but it's just like it seems like from a very young age she has both had a fixation on control and a sense of order and been imbued with a deep sense of self hatred. I cannot stop thinking about that. Like they're like it's all connected of like, well, what is the best I can do for myself while maintaining the same level of self hatred and like spreading it around.
Speaker 2: It's just ugh, that's good stuff.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. I'm sorry, That's what I meant to say.
Speaker 2: It's the essence of right wing politics. Right. Everything I disapprove of is bad, and I am the lone voice for truth fighting back against it.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: It hurts me to do this, but as you cries, like, figure, I have to.
Speaker 2: Do it now. In that interview, Laura does sum up her only flaw generally, I went my way and I want it now. Aside from that, I don't have any bad habits. Now that's it's fun stuff. And when it comes to the harm a person like Laura Sleshinger has done, I can focus just on her historic context.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: As we've said, she paves the way for guys like Jordan Peterson, even for like you know, I mentioned the Bechdel Cast. Obviously this podcast has as we owe something to Bill Balance, we also do to doctor Laura, but so doaes fucking Joe Rogan, right, Like these are all part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say, I would say Morris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not in the direct kind of content, but that she makes space in media and shows how she's part of the growing awareness that executives in TV and then radio just all over entertainment have with like, oh, there's a lot of money in people's messy lives and people being mean to people in messy lives. Right, She's not the only person doing this, but she's massively successful. Right. She has the number one radio personality for years. In twenty eleven, she's the number five audience on the radio. She's huge for a very long time.
Speaker 3: People love to get yelled at by mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I could focus on all of that, and I guess we will a little bit, but I want to focus more right now on the damage that her advice can do to individual people. You don't you know, you don't have like a book of the experiences of everyone who called her show, but you can occasionally find people who called in or who listened to her talk about the impact she had on them in places like Reddit, and I this may spoil where the story is going, but I found accounts from several women about how doctor Laura affected them in the Narcissistic Abuse subreddit. I'm not laughing at narcissistic abuse. It's just like, yeah, that is that does kind of describe the Doctor Laura show.
Speaker 3: She would pop up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course. And here's one person describing their experience. Back in the nineties, I was a stay and I've edited this a little bit for length. Back in the nineties, I was a stay at home mom starting a family with my husband. I was raising a conservative Catholic home with two parents who loved me and my brothers very much, and I had a traditional marriage. Whereas my father worked in my mother's stayed home to raise us. Fast forward to the nineties, listening to Doctor Laura. My husband was gone a lot, we lived far from the family. There were many red flags of my husband's behavior treatment of me, but I'd listened to Doctor Laura during the day and vowed to be a better wife, to be kind to my husband, to treat him better, respect him more, nag him less. What that did was cause me to ignore the red flags of major character flaws and my husband. I recall, for some reason my husband was doing or saying something I believed was out of line, possibly calling me a bitch, or neglecting to come home when he said he would not calling were traveling. I'd turn on Doctor Laura and hear about how if you choose to marry this man and make babies with him, then suck it up for the sake of the kids. I stayed and ignored major red flags for years. At the time, I was listening to doctor Laura, and I was blaming myself, and he was lying to me about everything he did the second he stepped in the door. It was ideal because his office was an hour commute from our home in southern California at the time, so he kept me and the kids a safe distance from his hidden lifestyle. This is obviously a man who has a whole life cheating on her as a narcissistic confuser. Right, I'm not going to go with the details, but we don't need that on the radio show. But this is how she describes listening to the Doctor Laura Show as making her think she did the right thing by ignoring the fucked up shit he was doing.
Speaker 3: Right anyway, Well, I mean it's like, I'm at least glad. I don't know, it's so it's so fucked because I feel like, you know, the Internet at large is often i think, like used as the complete villain of how the stuff gets perpetrated, but it obviously goes back before then, and in this case, it seems like the Internet has given this person a like space to actually air it out and talk with people.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, I do think it's valuable. As angry as I often get at the Internet at social media for how much more toxic it's made this to note that, like, yeah, this was happening in the radio, this has probably happened before the radio. I'm sure like magazines that have a massive media who you know, you get like these you know, mail in your advice stuff, right, That stuff pre dates Dock Laura, where you send in a letter and they give you advice. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens. I think the lesson here, Jamie, is that we need a secret police force empowered to kill on site anyone who knows or talks to more than three other human beings in the course of their life. You know, it's just that shit down, that shit down. Yeah, as the occasion.
Speaker 4: And as a person, you cannot expect the majority of people to internalize more than three things about you, truly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's it. I think you'd like to get the.
Speaker 2: Better future now, Jamie. I think we know. I know what I'm going to go to Kamala with if she takes over from Joe. I think this could really this could revitalize American politics. Imagine in America in which no one knows more than two other people. You know, Wow, that's a utopia in my mind.
Speaker 4: We will become a proper country.
Speaker 2: We could become a proper country. Yeah. So, another user in that subreddit mentioned reading one of doctor Laura's other bestsellers, The Proper Karen Feeding of Husbands and it was in this book that doctor Laura publicly espoused her belief that women have an ethical objection to have sex with their husbands even if they don't want to have sex. This is a staple of her advice. And it's interesting. I found a whole review of this book on like a super far right like homeschooling Christian nationalist website, and one of the things they explain is that, like, look, women need love, men need respect most of all, right, and you're not respecting it. They don't say this, but like they advise her book, and what she is saying is you are not respecting your husband if you don't let him fuck you. Right. It is that direct. And I have to.
Speaker 3: Say, it's just like a pro marital rape.
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that where we're headed with this?
Speaker 2: I don't know more or less, but it's a little differently fucked up than that. She is not saying women don't have men don't have the right to not consent to sex with their husbands. She is saying you are being a bad wife if you ever say no, okay, And there's a kind of a difference there. I'm not saying what's better than the other, but it is a little bit of a difference. Third thing, got a evil third thing. And I want to play you a clip of this from her Modern Day YouTube show and yeah, just listen to this. This is her reading a listener letter.
Speaker 7: I've never been married, so I'm soaking up all I can to help me when I do marry. Is it absolutely never okay to say no to your husband, even when you're sick not being there yet. I'm curious what tips you can give all women for overcoming not feeling well to go forward and still have sex with their husbands. Let's just say, if you're needing chaopectate or an ivy. Oh, come on, that's just silly. If your husband is saying, hey, baby, I want to pump you when you're sick, you've married a jerk. We're talking about when you're feeling irritated or I'm annoyed or I'm just too tired today and turn away your man. One. This is the measure that men have of how much we love them.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: I love shit like this because it's both it's a great one two of like, wow, this is a deeply toxic thing to tell women, and then wow, oh this is also a toxic thing to say to men. Great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, doctor Laura, you've finally done it a thought that is coachingly terrible for everyone on earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was really leading heavy with the women stuff. But then at the end there, you as a man only have value if someone's willing to let you fuck them, like, oh we got there way to go.
Speaker 4: Wow, her wig did a three hundred and sixty degree spin at the end of that.
Speaker 3: You just couldn't it.
Speaker 2: Sure does. Her hair is doing something else said this fort Now that's very gross, right, I will say it's this is a woman who used to have an audience of eighteen million people listening every week, right, at least reaching that many people. Radio numbers are a little wonky, as are all numbers that anyone in entertainment ever gives or gets.
Speaker 4: And then if they decide they don't like it, they'll just delete it forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this view this video has one hundred and eighty two thousand views in fourteen years. Doctor Laura has forty one thousand subscribers, so more people than you'd hope for. But she is definitely not diminished, shug in along the way that she used to. Right, Yeah, now, I find what she's saying here especially funny because another major line in her again, because she's saying here like, you have to fuck your husband whenever he wants, because like, your only value is your ability to make him feel wanted by being able to have sex with someone. Right in the other thing that she says frequently is women today are pigs, and women today are pigs for seeing life purely in terms of like sex and short term pleasure, when the thing she's making clear is that the only relationship men and women can have that is valuable to the other involves sex. So it's why it's beautifully incoherent. And I want to play you a clip for calling modern women pigs.
Speaker 7: I was raised by my grandma listening to you, I remember growing up hearing that all too often women strive for short term gratification instead of long term satisfaction.
Speaker 3: Now I'm reapediting on really use.
Speaker 7: A refresher in that course. Is there any way I can receive an update or something to refresh my own memory on these talks? It would be the utmost and helpful as to where I am in life trying to remember about what was said about long term satisfaction. Wow, This is so timely because these days most women out there are pigs.
Speaker 3: Are you shocked that I said that?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you think I'm talking about you?
Speaker 7: I might be. Is it one, two, three minutes, three hours, three days, three dates, and you're already having sex with somebody? I don't know. That's the short term gratification. That's the pretending there's a relationship. That's the pretending that somebody gives a darn about you. That's pretending that somebody respects you, cares about you. You know what, here's the deal.
Speaker 3: You know he's in love with don't.
Speaker 4: I don't need to know what the deal is. No, you don't claw hit me, doctor Laura. See if I give.
Speaker 3: A rat's ass.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, though, but that's also a man like. That's a perfect example, Like, Yeah, she's really good as a broad Like she's good at understanding how to speak for an audience, right, Like the way in which her voice builds up, the way in which she changes her voice, like the different tones uses her cadence, the way in which she organizes that response is just like, Yeah, that's that's someone who has been broadcasting for more than I've been alive, right, like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed the whenever she said pretending, the yellow font came up on the screen in big letters and said pretending.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of like the more you know.
Speaker 2: Look, she's better as a broadcaster than her editors as a video editor.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: Look, I hope Derek was editing that shit on iMovie with.
Speaker 2: A fucking why right there in his name.
Speaker 3: I hope he charged a hefty hourly rate to edit Mommy's little videos. I yeah, that was that was bleak. I mean, she is clearly a master at finding any angle to make a person real or imaginary, to feel horrible about themselves. But it doesn't I don't know, I've like this specific style of shaming doesn't hit the way it once did. I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 2: No? No, I mean that's you've seen her decline, right, And part of it is that she just isn't She's always been kind of culture war adjacent, but never as much as people are today. I think she would have found it kind of undignified. She would never do. Not that she's any better, but like the degree to which all of these people become ricatures of themselves in every form of media, imaginable. I don't think she would have been comfortable with. I think she wants too much control over her image to get that close to a bunch of other media figures, right, I think, yeah, Yeah, that's my feeling of it.
Speaker 3: I just wonder, I mean, honestly, because she's well into her seventies at this point, I wonder if there's just a part of it is like at some point I wonder this about you know, older people who are involved in the culture wars conversation, I'm like, how are you not just fucking exhausting, not just tired? Exhausting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thirty six that I fucking hate it.
Speaker 4: It's exhausting to like bear witness to much less participated.
Speaker 3: I would about it like she might just be fucking tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's because some of these I don't think she is quite although she has some of that. But guys like rush Limba were born to be culture war ghoules, whereas most of us, people like you and me, who have grown up in the middle of this fucking thing they helped start. We maybe have gotten involved by nature. But I don't know about you, Jimmy. My ideal life is being a weirdo with like a radio show talking about cryptids who lives in the woods and one day just disappears while hunting for big Wooter, big Bigfoot or one of those one of those worms in Mongolia that has lightning powers. That's what I would like to disappear.
Speaker 4: Searches that was Is that what what Dune was about?
Speaker 3: Don't answer.
Speaker 2: I think Dune might have been inspired by that Mongolian worm, Jamie awesome. That may or may not exist. You never know. Look, nobody's found the Great CON's tomb, and nobody's found one of those worms. Put him together about being about a boom. You got a pretty good fucking high adventure novel.
Speaker 3: You know, it does feel I mean, like clearly. You know, Doctor Laura has a clear place in the pantheon of twentieth century grifters.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, And she does very well at her height. The show is on four hundred and fifty radio stations. She's second only to Rush Limbaugh. This is when she starts receiving a bunch of awards. She gets one from the Department of Defense eventually, and then she gets she snubs Bill Balance at an awards ceremony and this is why he sells her photos to a foreign website. Slashinger is rightfully furious. She sues him for invasion of privacy and copyright violation. The court ruled that she had no right to the images, and the consite puts them back up. I'm not an expert on this case, but it sounds pretty fucking gross. She does not appeal. She tells her audience the photos were taken at a low point in her life, and since she was going through a divorce at the time, she didn't have moral authority to talk.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's it doesn't matter at what. It just matters that it's illegal to distribute, right.
Speaker 2: So that's where I am on this. It's like, we just shouldn't be allowed to do that at all.
Speaker 4: We shouldn't have to be That feels like, yeah, the doctor Laura kicking in of like oh well this, you know, there's a reason that this happened.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, actually, this is the rare time that I'm on your side.
Speaker 2: No, I shouldn't sue him, and I wish the case had gone your way. Yeah, yeah, I think it doesn't because of some weird like the copyright issue is a big part of it, right, there's something weird about like their professional relationship that I think it's I don't know, though, I'm not going to don't want to talk out of my ass on it because she's in the right there. In nineteen ninety nine, she signs a deal with Paramount to create a talk show, which is a disaster. Laura does not have the kind of face charisma that you need to be a compelling TV lead, And there's also something inherently shameful about what she does, right, Like, you don't want to see somebody be that meat. You might want to hear it when you're driving and you're in a bad mood because you're commuting, but you don't necessarily want to see it.
Speaker 3: I don't. I mean, but if that were true, wouldn't that be true of like Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson and all those guys that we see all the time.
Speaker 2: Rush Limbaugh also has a TV show that doesn't really work out in the okay, Jordan Peterson comes around and is a different kind of guy. You know, he's related to both of them, but for one thing, he's a lot more like of a lower tempo of energy usually, right, Like that's part of how you know, he has his times when he's clearly manic or on whatever weird drugs's daughter convinced him to take. But the Jordan Peterson that initially got famous is like a very good at sounding like a cultured and calm academic for the most part until he has his moments of.
Speaker 3: Passion, until he goes raw meat mode.
Speaker 2: Right right, whereas doctor Laura is kind of immediately mean to whoever calls you know anyway the show flops. Laura's desperation over the show flopping is evident in the fact that the series had to bring in paid ringers to generate conflicts because it was so bad. They did this lazily on two consecutive days. The same researcher employed by the show is brought into play two different people. The first is like a college a student who gets money to write essays for other students, and the second is a woman living with her boyfriend training decide if she could she should get married. The show has its last episode in March of two thousand and one. Now, Jamie, I know that you and I both know about another terrible thing that happened in two thousand and one. You know horrible. I think it's changed my life. I know it's changed your life. And that's when doctor Laura briefly had a conflict with the gay community. Yes, this was at a different times. The only other thing that happened in two thousand and one that I can recall after March only.
Speaker 3: Shrek came out, you know, Mahalandra came out.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, other things, and doctor Laura calls homosexuality a biological error. Now Laura kind of immediately has to backpedal. This would not happen today. She would grift off of this. She would certainly be fetted by the far right right or the normal right at this point, just by the right. She can't. It's weird because two thousand and one, in so many other ways is so much worse a period for like queer rights in this country. But at this point there's enough like glad and stuff, there's letter writing campaigns against her people cause enough of a problem that she has to apologize. And her point on this is always again, you can really see that the narratives haven't calcified to the point that they are at this point, because while she says a bunch of horrible things like gay people. It's not. It's the result of basically a biological glitch, right, rather than something that we see in every species that reproduces sexual.
Speaker 3: The beginning of time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she also says, well we should. This is also fucked up in a way. When kids get too old for good straight parents to want them, gay men should be able to adopt them.
Speaker 4: Which is such a weird that's I've never even heard that.
Speaker 2: It's honestly impressive gymnastics there, Like, you just have to hand it to her sometimes, Yeah, what the fuck. Yeah, I didn't know how to make gay people should be allowed to adopt kids horrible, but you did it. Wow, And in two ways, it's amazing stuff. Laura continued her by now time warn tradition of giving people advice. The best example of her giving advice that is like the opposite of stuff that she actually did from later in her career, is that she would repeatedly tell people you got to honor your parents. You should try to have a good relationship with your parents. If your kid, you should have a good relationship, you know, with your parents, and you know, the best thing that a kid can or that a parent can have as grandkids YadA, YadA, YadA. In real life, she briefly hires her mom to be her secretary and then fires her mom, and then her mom goes on to spend her next remaining years alone in a condo. She dies and isn't found for like three months and may have been murdered. We don't know if she was murdered or not. It's a little bit of a mystery. But here's what Laura herself wrote on the matter. One day, the Beverly Hills police called me she had a condo in Beverly Hills, to let me know my mother was dead and had been dead on the floor of her apartment for about four months. There were no friends, and none of her neighbors were close. Nobody noticed. They said it was probably a homicide, but not a robbery. When the police came to my helm to ask me questions, I told them it couldn't be a homicide. I said that to murder someone personal, you had to be close enough to begin to hate. Well that nobody got close to her. The final conclusion was unknown cause of death, but not homicide. So no comment, no comment, MESSI MESSI fucking brutal. Yeah, that's that's brutal. Now, I will say, Jamie, I think I solve this case. I think I know something that Laura didn't at the time. Right, so the police think this is a homicide. You know, maybe the serial music can start playing now. The police believed this is a homicide, but Laura says her mom wasn't close enough to anybody to be murdered for personal reasons. But in the book Vicky Bain wrote about Doctor Laura, it opens with an interview with Yolanda, doctor Laura's mother, from inside her house. Vicky describes the house she seems friendly with doctor Laura's mom. Am I saying that biographer Vicky Bain murdered doctor Laura's mother for some personal reason.
Speaker 3: Not film never know to listen to the next.
Speaker 2: Eleven episodes of my podcast on who killed Doctor Flora's mother? Which is okay to joke about a little because she hated her?
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not Who cares? What are you going to do?
Speaker 4: And then I will start a rival podcast called Vicky Bain Innocent in years.
Speaker 2: One, Jamie and I are going to grift so much money off of this woman, who, as far as I could tell, published two unauthorized biographies back in the nineties and then did not publish any other books. Hey, people, of a person might be a fake name that a publisher made up to publish this book. No way to know. Anyway. Up to the mid auts, Doctor Laura remained one of the most successful broadcasters on the planet. All of this took a disastrous turn on August twenty ten. Up to that point, doctor Laura was like the number five broadcaster in the country by audience. But on that broadcast, while talking about modern comedy, she says this.
Speaker 3: Black guys use it all the time.
Speaker 7: Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is nigger, nigger, nigger.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 7: If anybody needs anybody without enough melon and says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate.
Speaker 3: It's very confusing.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, Doctor Laura, Oh oh, she goes on, because I'm not going to play all of this. Maybe I should, but like the lady she's on the phone with, who I think is a black woman, says, well, you were like really comfortable saying a lot of times on air, that's kind of weird. And Laura. Laura gets really angry and uses it eleven more times, just being like, you know, like yeah. Then she says a lot of blacks only voted for Obama because he was half black, And when the collar disagrees, Laura says, don't nua acpe me.
Speaker 3: Oh so Jesus, that's not great, Jesus great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, quite a bit.
Speaker 3: So this is what this is what does her end professionally.
Speaker 2: As a big name. Yeah. She issues an apology later that evening.
Speaker 3: And I mean it's like Air's fucking something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically at the end of you think probably there was a backroom deal. She doesn't immediately quit, but she quits at the end of the year. She goes, I think it's she goes on Letterman to be like, I'm quitting in order to regain my First Amendment rights to say whatever is on my mind.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Good on Letterman for letting her give her perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god. But nobody really wanted to hear it after this point, even though she is still doing it. So well, there you go, you know.
Speaker 3: At very least, uh, it doesn't seem like she is endured meaningfully outside of her only demographic It seems like it's ever been like generationally.
Speaker 2: Bill Nobody knows who fucking Bill Balance was. Right now, we do live with his I mean, Howard Stern's still on the air. Not to say that, but we like we are part of like the the the We exist in a space that he helped make right and a lot of the worst people on the Internet today, a lot like Jordan Peterson being the example we keep going back to. I don't know if they wouldn't. I'm not going to say there would be no Jordan Peterson without doctor Laura, but he would have had a lot more work to do to make that space if she hadn't been there first, right.
Speaker 3: Right, and and make no mistake, I believe in doctor Jordan Peterson. I believe he would have found a way, but you know certainly didn't didn't hurt. This is fascinating that.
Speaker 2: Jordan Peterson finds a way.
Speaker 3: Wow, from from just a looming presence in the Barnes and Noble Aisle to knowing that she is I don't know, no small part made some of our worst schools possible.
Speaker 2: Well, and also made the one of the sweaters and Sister Act and the boys costumes in Hook.
Speaker 4: If you remember nothing else you know that feels that feels about right?
Speaker 2: Yeah that I am going.
Speaker 3: To rewatch the Shock tonight. And guess which sweat I could rewatch?
Speaker 2: You know what, let's all rewatch Sister Act.
Speaker 3: That's a very gentle to watch.
Speaker 2: A good Yeah, yeah, rewatched Sister Act. We'll watch a good TNG episode where she played where she plays guy, and maybe the one where they go back in time and meet Mark Twain. He's got a ridiculous mustache.
Speaker 4: And most importantly, we I, oh, I know we had an episode of Lower Decks about that.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, how could you not?
Speaker 4: Most importantly, well, we'll go back and watch the Christine Baranski episode of Fraser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Christine Baranski episode of Fraser. Uh, the episode of TNG where they will the two parter where they go back to San Francisco in old times, and then of course the movie Sister Act and Hook. If you've got time.
Speaker 3: Actually a very relaxing weekend watch list.
Speaker 2: It seems like a nice weekend, you know what. Everybody have fun, Jamie.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything you want to plug at the end here? Perhaps a podcast?
Speaker 4: You know, I would love to plug a sixteenth minute as well as the Bechdel Cast, which we firmly are in denial that we have anything to do with any of this, but yes, listen to sixteenth minute on cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: There's actually a lot of what I was thinking throughout this episode had to do with an interview on a recent episode with Carol J.
Speaker 4: Adams, author of the Sexual Politics of Meat, who was harassed and dosed for weeks and like an entire summer by Rush Limbaugh back in the day and then went on to be harassed and docksed by Jordan Peterson fans just a couple of years ago, and we talked about out sort of the you know, illusion that this is an Internet problem when it has existed in a very similar form for a long time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, check out my interview with Carol and if you just like Internet main characters, that's the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to hell, I love you Bye.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.