Speaker 1: Him to pull at old.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody, No Will Ferrell Today wind streak snapped at two before it could become a streak. Game one twenty one in the books, the Yankees dropped this one one to nothing, and at least the one positive is we got it done early and now you have you still have a few hours to make something of your night, you know, which is rare for people like us to watch every single game. I'm not sure what the largest family suv available on the market is right now, but whatever it is, I am certain that you could drive it right through the whole and jazz chishm swing. Did you see the swing on that last pitch. If you didn't, I mean, it's probably not worth looking it up but down and in pitch breaking ball, and he missed it by a foot. He missed it by a foot. And that's been a problem for him all season, chasing that down and in pitch and he loops over it. And when occasionally he does run into that pitch, he yanks at foul. And they mentioned that today's been hitting a lot of balls foul all year long. Maybe he just needs to lay off that down and in pitch. I don't know Yankees came in today having already won the first two games of the series. Last night they put up ten runs, so naturally, today the offense looked at all that momentum and said, eh, that's enough of that. They lose one to nothing. Max Freed gets the loss on a day he went five innings and gave up just one run. And look, winning the series matters. I'm not gonna sit in here and pretend like winning the first two games doesn't matter just because they lost the third one. But this is exactly why the Yankees are so frustrating this year. This is exactly why guys like me are pulling their hair out, because last night they demonstrated that the offense can do something, that they can put together rallies. In Game one they had a couple of nice opposite fields singles by lefties to pick up some runs, and today it was more back to just wail and bail and only four hits. So it's just frustrating when it's maddening when you do the same thing repetitively and get similar results and those results are negative. So the Yankees did a nice job of winning this series, but when the team ahead of you is the raise, and they're playing as well as they are. You can't lose games one to nothing. You've got to find a way to scrape together a couple of runs. And today the difference was honestly a tag when Grisham came off the bag by just a fraction and got tagged out, they overturned it on replay. Next batter was Ben Rice. He hit a ground ball. The second that was scored run, we'd be tied. We'd be headed to extra innings right now.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 2: So that's the difference. Baseball is a game of inches. Let's go to the good, bad, and the ugly. Not ugly. Today Yankee seven back in the lost column now in the American League East, Trent Grisham one for four today, Rice OH for three, Spencer Jones OH for three. He got pinch hit four by Elliott Ramos. I'll talk more about that. Luis Garcia had a good day two for four with a double. Lombard took the collar OH for four, Jazz with the silver sombrero, Jose Cabairo OH for two of the walk, McMahon oh for two, Ali Sanchez had a hit. Rosario had an OH for one appearance as a pinch hitter, and Austin Wells didn't get any at bats. Came in after amd Rosario pinch hit for Ali Sanchez and did not come to the plate for the Mariners. A Rose Arena had a good day, Rodriguez had a good day. Can Zone over three with a walk. Cal Rowy continues to struggle. Oh for four, Josh Naylor won for four, Brendan Donovan oh for four. Wilson the big swinging of the day. His home run off of Max Freed was the difference. Emerson came into play d Janny Peralta one for three, Leo Revas and Cole Young both OH for one. That is the good, the bad, and the ugly. Let's get to the nitty gritty, not that there is much of it today. We might have a relatively short show. So a couple of positives. Lombard Junior was silky smooth at shortstop again, couple of really good plays first inning and second inning, and then he was the back end of the double play in the fourth, and he was part of another double play later on. And so I had to rock. The Summer of George shirt available now at NYY Designs Dot Shop Grisham. Let's talk a little bit about this, because he rips one down the line should have been a double. He pops off the base for a split second and gets tagged out. And this is probably my only real gripe with replay. I think replay at large has been good for the game. I'm all for getting calls right. But if a guy overl that's one thing, Absolutely call him out. But if someone like just loses contact by like a millimeter or a half inch, and we're freeze framing like it's the frickin' Zippruter film to look for the tag and whether the guy is making contact, I feel like that's slowing the game down. It's it's not really what replay was put into fix, right. You're not really correcting a bad call anymore. You're finding something that nobody on the field could possibly see in real time, and you're overturning a play that you know basically cost the Yankees a run. Christian beat the play. He got to second safely. His momentum carried him off the bag because he is a two hundred plus pounds human being who was moving at you know what, for him was a moderate speed. I get it. That's the rules. I'm not arguing the call. I don't want people saying I'm whining, although some people will. I just don't think that that's what replay was original the least supposed to be fixing. Jay Boog says, did anyone see Stanton was on the bench? What a joke? I mean, what do you want him to do?
Speaker 1: You ain't got no legs at today?
Speaker 2: Where do you want him to be? I like that he's on the bench, he's on the il, He's not gonna be on the field. I like that he's watching the game with his team. Some people just want to complain anyway. So the Yankees are down one nothing in the seventh inning, Boone pinch hits Ali Sanchez. Pitch hits for Ali Sanchez with Ahmed Rosario. I guess the counter moves out weigh, you know, going with a better bat there, But I mean Rosario struck out looking not a good result. I didn't like Boone pinch hitting for Spencer Jones with Ramos. That was a matchup situation. But look, Spencer Jones has been hot. This is one of those areas where the Yankees don't believe in hot and that hurt them because you got a hitter who's been swinging the bat.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: He had a tough day today, but he had a couple of big hits last night. He's had hits off al lefties. And you're going with Ramos, who was I don't know, two for twenty five or something since coming to the Yankees. Just did not seem like a move that the that the momentum and the previous play over the last several days warranted. But it is what it is. Yankees dropped this one one nothing typical pathetic Yankees offense is rose for you, babe, all right. So let's talk a little bit about Max Freed. He was serviceable today. He wasn't outstanding. Obviously, didn't go deep in the game, but five innings in one earn run as a one point eight zero era really was. He threw a lot of stressful pitches. He had some long counts today eighty eight pitches through twenty seven sinkers and sixteen cutters. Allowed five hits, two walks, and four strikeouts. You'd like him to go deeper into the game, so technically it's not a quality start. You gotta go at least six innings for a quality start, but coming off of a couple of good starts and having some longer innings today, I thought that, you know, they probably just wanted to back off a little bit and not push him too much, especially on a day where it was evident that the offense wasn't really gonna make much of a difference for him. But I thought he was fine today. He was fine, all right. So do the game breakdown? Only four hits for the Yankees today. I got some crumbs on my shirt. I was eating some. I was eating some crackers, club crackers. Anyway, four hits for the Yankees today. One double, three walks, ten strikeouts, ten strikeouts, six men left on base, zero for five with runners in scoring position, one stolen base today. They hit some line drives today. I gotta give him credit. The bulk of their batted balls nine balls in play were line drives. That's forty five percent of their contact. They had some tough luck. They hit some balls right at guys, including Trent Grisham one oh one point two off the bat. You had top pitching velocity today of Max Freed ninety six point five miles an hour, and Yankees' pitchers were throwing strikes. Sixty eight percent of their pitches were strikes today, but unfortunately a rather dull breakdown, Steve says, where did you get the Lombard shirt? Go to NYY Designs Dot shop. I made it, so go to NYY Designs dot Shop. So we take a look at the series recap. Grisham had a good series. Jones McMahon had good series. Blackburn had a good series. Ryan Weathers through the ball pretty well in his outing world warn not as good. Max Freed kind of middle of the road, fifty one game score. Ryan Weathers had the highest game score for the Yankees this week, fifty seven, and both home runs in this series. Buy the mustachioed one. Trent Grisham, And what's he got about? Fifteen home runs?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: He might get to twenty. He might, but he's definitely not going to get to thirty four like he had last year. Logan Gilbert just an outstanding job today for the Mariners. Brian wu through five shutout innings or five innings of nowhere runs. Randy A. Rose Arena had a couple of home runs in this series using right field well. I said at the trade deadline that Randy Rose Arena would have been the perfect fit for the Yankees. I still think that I would have much rather had him than Elliott Ramos. Also, he's a guy who's come up big in the clutch a lot in his career. To take a look at the MS starting pitching, and the MS hit five home runs in this series, can Zone Wilson Rodriguez and two for Randy a Rose Arena. All right, So next up we have got the Toronto Blue Jays, and it's really amazing how bad the Blue Jays have done this year, so I fully expect them to take this series from the Yankees. Blue Jay's fifty nine and sixty three. The Yankees have outscored them five forty five to four eighty two. They've allowed less runs, They've got a much better run differential. Blue Jay's hit for a higher average. That's not a surprise. Yankees get on base more and have a higher OPS. The Yankees have hit a lot more home runs and have a lower ERA and a lower whip. It's gonna be Garrett Cole versus Shane Bieber in Game one on Friday Night, that is, in Canada, Game two, Cam Schlitzler versus TBD. The old TVD to be determined, and then Game three, Ryan Weathers versus Dylan Ceaz, who you know is a contender for the cy Young Award with Cam Schlitzler, so you can see both the top cy Young candidates for the American League. In this series, we take a look at the division snapshot. Here Rays now lead the East by six and a half. Red Sox up one to nothing on the Blue Jays in the bottom of the seventh, so they have a chance to gain one of those games back that they've lost over the last couple of days to the Yankees. A couple of quick words from our sponsor today, Quints, and then we've got a few voicemails. Be back in sixty second.
Speaker 4: Science experiment. For the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love quints. Electrolytes including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and I poor some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 5: I love quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes. I need why sugar free Stevy a free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 4: It does taste really good. I'm drinking in right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five days that's qui nce dot com slash foul for free shipping in three sixty five day returns. Quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: Before we get to some voicemails, which Yankees should start taking steroids because I think steroids is probably the solution.
Speaker 6: Here, here's a call, Hey, Derek gets ted.
Speaker 3: Here another case of boom pushing the wrong buttons. Why are you gonna pinship with Spencer Jones In the eighth Why are you gonna do that?
Speaker 6: LMOs is just beating the bullets the ground. He has two hits out of twenty five at bats. Why are you pushing that button like you're sitting in the seats like a fan hoping and wishing.
Speaker 3: That something would happen. That's just not a good managerial move.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the call. Yeah, I agree with that in the moment too. And plus the entertainment value of Spencer Jones, I just wanted to watch him hit. I'll be honest with you. He had a good series. He's been swinging the bad better. The confidence has been growing. But I mean, you have ramos to hit lefties. So that's what they went with. Here's Sean.
Speaker 1: Hey there, this is Sean from Washington, DC, sitting here at the seventh inning. I just had a brainstorm for a great sort of side hustle that I think could bring in a lot of revenue. You know, for you, given that you know you watch all of the the Yankee games, you do such a.
Speaker 6: Great job with it.
Speaker 1: I think if you, I think if you record the bottom half of Yankee home game innings and the top half of Yankee away game innings and just string them back to back to back, I think you could put out a great sleep aid, you know, like eight to ten hours that could rival any of the existing, you know, the still fall in the Himalayas or the rainfall on the Hawaiian Islands or whatever. Anyway, get some thoughts to it. If it works out for you and you make a killing, maybe cut me in on a small percentage. Sean from DC, Thank you appreciate the.
Speaker 2: Call, Seans. Things considered, honestly, sleep Aid videos do rather well, and they're getting really cool. Those ambiance videos. I like to watch the ones where it's like a coffee shop and you got some jazz music and there's like a steaming cup of coffee, or there's like an old timey library and you got a dog or a cat and a fireplace. Those things are actually kind of awesome if you're doing creative work, which I do a lot of. Here's another call.
Speaker 6: Hey Derek, it's Mike from Jersey, so listen, just a conversation. Steak. I enjoyed this part of them movie to show the most. I used to play with my brothers, my dad, and we used to be allowed to pick up one player from anywhere in the league and throw them into our lineup. So now I'll ask you this, if you could pick one Yankee all time to put on this squad right now to help us with a World Series push. And don't cop out and say, Babe Ruth or Lou Garrick, like, I really want you to fill a need with a former Yankee, all right. Whether it'd be Cano at second, you know, I'll let you do the brainstorming, all right.
Speaker 2: Cano a second is a good one because obviously he was a three hundred hitter. You don't have to worry about him starting steroids because he's already on them. But yeah, if I mean a really good second baseman would be great right now. Though he is a lefty, a Rod at third base comes to mind because you're not really losing much defensively. I mean, he's probably not as good defensively as McMahon, but you know he was adequate at third base defensively, and he gives you a huge right handed bat, although you don't know how he'll do in the playoffs. If you're just thinking about like one season or one stretch run, you know the Matt Carpenter move from a couple of years ago. But you're blocked at first base and DH, so maybe you go with Shane Spencer from nineteen ninety eight. He had a really good September that year, we're coming up on September. He hit three seventy three with ten home runs in sixty seven at bats twenty seven games. How would you like to have him for the next twenty seven games? Right? Three Grand Slams? I would sign that. I would sign up for that right now? Well, I would say, like, just based on current needs, either Red Hot nineteen ninety eight, Shane Spencer for left field for the stretch run, or you know, since we're taking Yankees who are not currently on the roster, how about fucking Aaron Judge. How about how about Aaron Judge. Here's Mike.
Speaker 6: Hey Derek, it's Mike from Jersey, So listen, just for conversation seek. I enjoyed this part of them to show the most. I used to play with my brothers, my dad. We used to be allowed to pick up one player from anywhere in the league and throw them into our lineup. So now I'll ask you this, if you could pick one Yankee all time to put on this squad right now to help us with a World Series Poch, and don't cop out and say Babe Ruth or Lou Garrick like I really want you to fill a need.
Speaker 2: Wait, same fucking call.
Speaker 6: Thanks, what happened there?
Speaker 2: Here's sorry tavor talk. I'm sorry, I'm not paying Derek.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: Taper? Told from the task Skills Thursday afternoon, the Yanks trying to sweep? Was it yesterday? I heard a caller said he wanted to platoon Louise Garcia when Stanton comes back. Come on, man, are you kidding me? I mean, Louis Garcia is the best rice and Garcian Rice is swamping as we know. It's the best hitter on the team. I mean, look at his numbers. Twenty four home run seventy eight RBIs to eighty one average eight sixty five ops. I mean, are you kidding me? And he's got two hits already, He's got a double on a single. No, no, no, Louis Garcia is not a fluke. He's a cool I'm not gonna say a great, great player. He is above average. He's a very good player, everyday player. The move is uh Ramos, Pellio Ramos. And I know you don't want to touch the su Spencer Jones. He just struck out by the way, But no, don't touch Garcia. That's all. That's all. I wanted to say, all right, let's hope the Aangster down one, and let's hope they come back and win in sweet.
Speaker 2: There you go, and spoiler alert, they did. But yes, I like what we've seen from Garcia. I think he was a good pick up. Obviously, the Yankees were just trying to add offense in any way they could, and that was just a semi creative way that they're trying to do it. Another left handed bat, another first baseman. DH would have rather, well, I wouldn't say rather, I would have liked them to make some other moves, you know, to address some other positions. But hey, at least Austin Well's been swinging the bat a little bit better behind the dish, so it hasn't killed us there, I mean, last fifteen games, so always hitting three hundred. I would still rather have gotten a right handed bat. That was dangerous, you know, whether it's an outfielder, whether it's third baseman. But at least Lombard too is adding a little bit of He had a tough day today, but adding a little bit of spark as a right handed hitter. Andy's upgraded shortstop, So all right, guys, A tough day for the Yanks. I will be back tomorrow. Yankees had to Toronto. We'll do a morning coffee break video and take a look at how bad Toronto's been this year before they sweep us. I'll see you next time. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time.