Speaker 1: Oh gotta get rid of this old Backstreet Boys T shirt. Tell me why I've washed it so many times with the odor will come out.
Speaker 2: Have you tried Downy Rinsing Refresh.
Speaker 3: It doesn't just come up holds, it helps remove them. Downy Rinson Refresh removes more odor in one wash than the leading value detergent in three washes.
Speaker 2: Find it wherever you buy laundry products.
Speaker 1: This back to school season, Downy and Tider giving back with one point five million dollars in scholarships. Enter to win, no purchase necessary USNDC sixteen year older and September thirtieth Rules at Downey dot com slash Scholarship, slash official Rules.
Speaker 2: On the Fan.
Speaker 4: What Up?
Speaker 3: It's Vikings rewind on Kfan and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. It is brought to you by Omni Viking Lakes and you can book your stay today.
Speaker 2: It's an awesome hotel.
Speaker 3: All you got to do go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes. It's me Nordo from nine to noon with you. Vikings are owing three another loss and it's a tough start to the twenty twenty three season. Twenty eight to twenty four. The final yesterday came down to the six yard line. One final play for the Vikings off defense seconds sticking down didn't go the Vikings way, and that's been kind of the vibe through three games, three one score losses for the Purple. Next segment you're going to hear from a very disenfranchised head coach, Kevin O'Connell spoke to the media earlier today. You'll hear a large portion of that next segment, But let's just jump into it and rewind to the action US Bank Stadium yesterday, two to zero to two teams, Chargers gripping just like the Vikings were, got to get that first victory of the season. Barn Burner on the stat sheet, nine hundred and fifty combined yards of offense between the two squads. Started out slow, though, as the Chargers get the first possession of the day on offense flores in this Vikings defense. They force a three and out. So it's Vikings ball, Kirk Cousins and company taking the field and five consecutive runs. Only sixty nine rushing yards through the first two games. Kevin O'Connell intentional about getting this ball moving on the ground. Five consecutive runs by the Purple On offense. They're moving the chains and they need a third down convert and they get one from TJ.
Speaker 5: Hawkinson, but Cousins shotgun five man roush Derwin James glitches and Cousins hook on right house shot right side, caught by Hawkinson and.
Speaker 2: The ball was stolen away from him. Are you kidding me? It happened again. The ball was stolen away from teams.
Speaker 5: Perkinson will be covered by Los Angeles first down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a tough moment there.
Speaker 3: The turnovers keep coming seven through the first two games. Very first possession of the day. Some of these turnovers, by the way, occurring in the red zone. Opportunities for points for the Vikings offense taken off the board. Meanwhile, Justin Herbert and the Chargers, they go twelve plays, seventy nine yards, have the ball for nearly six minutes, and they capitalize on another Vikings giveaway.
Speaker 5: First and goal. Chargers game is scoreless. First quarter Minneapolis. Mike Williams in motion to the right, Herbert, He'll throw it out to Parham and the tight end caught it front right of the the end zone. Touchdown LA Chargers. That is Donald Parham fourth year from stetson his second touchdown this year. So like everybody else in the NFL, the LA Chargers are the newest. To take our newest turnover and march down the field in spore.
Speaker 2: Vikings follow that up with a punt.
Speaker 3: Zero targets for Justin Jefferson the first two possessions for the Vikings yesterday, people kind of clamoring, what's going on, let's get JJ involved. So after forcing it another Chargers punt, we're into the second quarter. By the way, no points scored on offense for the Purple in the first quarter through three games, so that's got to be something that changes for a team a year ago that in their first eleven games scored seven touchdowns on their opening possession. Need faster offense early from the Vikings. The Vikings ball about ten minutes left in the second quarter, five plays, seventy five yards that included two awesome catching runs from Justin Jefferson. He tallied about fifty five of those seven yards and finally Vikings on the board midway through the second quarter to tie it up.
Speaker 2: It's Josh Oliver Munt in motion to the right.
Speaker 5: Kirk back to pass looks right, see nothing, throws left at the goal line.
Speaker 2: It's cat got down Josh Oliver for this first.
Speaker 5: Touchdown as a member of the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 2: Heard in his career. Headed seven to six.
Speaker 3: LA seven six, seven to seven after the extra point, ensuing possession for the Chargers. Now this Vikings defense feeling good about the plan from Brian Flores. They force a fumble and Jordan Hicks retires recovers it. We're not the only team that fumbles in the NFL. Thank goodness. Ensuing possession, though it takes eleven plays to just go forty yards. It was an ugly possession, to be honest with you. A lot of penalties on both sides. There was a Derwin James unnecessary roughness penalty. We have an Alexander Madison fumble that luckily is negated because forward progress was stopped. That there was nearly four minutes of possession. Felt it took twenty five minutes to get through all of that. But in the end, the Vikings settle for a field goal and take the lead with just over two minutes to go in the first half. Now the Chargers one more shot before halftime.
Speaker 2: Ten plays, seventy five yards.
Speaker 3: They were explosive, they were efficient, and it's par Ham again.
Speaker 2: The Chargers three or four this year.
Speaker 5: On court down, Herbert under center, puts effort in motion to the right, takes the snap on cork down, play action, pumps fires and caught a touchdown on fourth down by the LA Chargers, and it's Donald Parham with his second touchdown and the Chargers have reclaimed the lead. It's thirteen to ten.
Speaker 3: Vikings get the ball one more time, they're unable to do anything with it before half, so it's fourteen to ten at the break. Vikings ball out of halftime to start the third quarter. They end up punting. Then the Chargers miss a field goal. So that's kind of the vibe of out. This game was going really early in in the first half, early parts of the second half, miscues, mistakes, and a ton of punting. Now three plays, eighty yards, Well, those are the numbers for a Chargers drive midway through the third quarter where Keenan Allen in the midst of a historic day for him, eighteen catches. I think that's the third time in his career that he had exceeded fifteen or more receptions in a game. The two hundred and fifteen receiving yards. That was a personal career record for him there, but he had never thrown a touchdown pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did yesterday.
Speaker 5: Keenan has been a problem today as he is for most twelve catches one hundred and thirty five yards and he is wide left. Now he goes in motion and he will halo behind Herbert who will throw it to him a whole pass, two guys wide open, caught twenty five ten five touchdown.
Speaker 2: And we just got oky dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that makes it twenty one to ten after that, and that was the it's spark we sawt a ton last year. We saw in the Philly game to an extent as well, where the title wave is coming and the Chargers were handling business at a clip yesterday and the Vikings offense woke up. They respond eight play, seventy five yard drive in less than three minutes and kJ Osbourne at the five leaps for the pylon touchdown and we're back in at fourth and six from the Chargers thirty six, three h nine to go.
Speaker 5: In the third quarter, Curk on a straight drop, protection's good fires to kJ caught it the twenty first down to the ten to.
Speaker 2: The five ten touchdown pz kJ.
Speaker 5: It's a thirty six yard touchdown on fourth down and it's twenty one to sixteen.
Speaker 3: LA saw this a lot after yesterday's game. Should the Vikings have gone for two, they kicked the extra point, so just a couple of minutes left in the third quarter, it's twenty one seventeen Chargers. If they go for two, then it's just a field goal game, because now you're doing the ultimately down by four last minutes of the game yesterday instead of three. If you go for two, it's a field goal game. If you miss it, then later on when JJ does his thing, now you're not up by three. You kind of play this game right, chasing points. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. In this case, they kicked the extra point. It's twenty one seventeen. Vikings defense standing tall again. They gave up all those yards four hundred and chains through the air to Justin Herbert and Keenan Allen. That Chargers offense but made some stops yesterday, forced some punts and eight plays eighty three yards later. Now we're early into the fourth quarter. Justin Jefferson gets the lead back for the purple JJ.
Speaker 5: Hawkinson in motion to the left. Outside of him, Jordan Addison Cousins back to pass.
Speaker 2: Pull it over the middle of hot JJ. He's on the run and he is done.
Speaker 5: Tucks down Vikings justin Jefferson put this person touch down.
Speaker 2: This season gives the Vikings.
Speaker 5: A twenty three to twenty one lead. Hips off forty eight yards, strike.
Speaker 2: Eight to eighteen.
Speaker 3: They do not go for two after this one either, so they're happy.
Speaker 2: At this stage of the game.
Speaker 3: Let's kick that extra point, Let's make it a field goal lead and go on from there. Well, the Chargers went on from there, as in eleven minutes left in the fourth they get the ball seven plays seventy five yards in a game that started with a fumble. Weird moments through three games of this season, Why wouldn't the bald deflect through the hands of a Vikings cornerback trying to make a play, trying to pick that thing off from Herbert and end up in the hands of a wide receiver for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: First down Chargers, two tight ends to the right, two receivers left. Herbert shotgun blitz again, pass left and oh what Caleb Evans nearly had an interception. Really it bounced into the arms of Josh Palmer, and the La Chargers have a serendipitous score. It's a thirty yard touchdown, and.
Speaker 3: That touchdown, as frustrating as it was, gets you to the final score line twenty eight twenty four Chargers. But we're not even halfway through the fourth quarter yet. Lots more stuff happened, including the next possession for the Vikings. They go thirteen plays, seventy three yards and can't get it in from inside the.
Speaker 2: Three yard line. One hundred and thirty rushing yards for the Vikings. Yesterday.
Speaker 3: You saw improvement, you saw productivity there, but you could not see the Vikings offensive line moving man, moving earth, specifically in goal line situations at all. They had two shots from the two yard line, could not close a couple incomplete passes to Justin Jefferson. They turned the ball over on downs and it's Chargers ball. Inside of three minutes remaining in the game, they're put on a fourth and one at their own twenty four yard line. And if you follow Chargers football, you're not surprised by this. Chargers coach Brandon Staley says, we're going to go for it.
Speaker 5: Offset I right behind Herbert average so much formation at all today, and they're going to.
Speaker 2: Go for it, and they went.
Speaker 5: They did not get it on the run to Josh Kelly up the middle. All the Vikings have turned over the Chargers on downs with a twenty eight to twenty four lead.
Speaker 2: Brandon Staley, a.
Speaker 5: Third year head coach for the LA Chargers, just did his football best friend Kevin O'Connell follow it by making that decision.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: Although this is again something that is part of Staley's resume. He loves going for it in spots like this. Maybe the numbers say statistically that you're supposed to, but it's Vikings ball, minute forty six left in the game at the Chargers twenty four, no timeouts, but a buck forty six to go in that area. You're feeling good about the amount of time you have Vikings moving. JJ hits the turf, might be cramps, he returns to the game.
Speaker 2: TJ.
Speaker 3: Hawkinson hits the turf, He returns, and ultimately they need a fourth down conversion at the Chargers fifteen yard line.
Speaker 2: They get it, and then this happened twenty two seconds to go in the game. The clock man kill it. Yeah, we kill the clock.
Speaker 6: We're trying to get everything set up because it's trying to get a play out there, and we've burned about five or ten extra seconds because of the Kirk shotgun back to pass, grows to the end zone, falls, bouncing about interceptive about the Chargers in a Minnesota Vikings Row and Fred, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: You got fumbles in the red zone.
Speaker 3: You got bouncing interceptions, You got interceptions not made that bounce into the hands of opposing teams.
Speaker 2: As a wide receiver, you have a lack of composure and clutch.
Speaker 3: Spots, and ultimately you have a team that is now zero to three to start the twenty twenty three season, disappointing where everybody next up the also winless Carolina Panthers. Before I go to break, I mentioned koc around the corner. I do want to remind you that we do have the Friday Feast going on. Time to pump this thing up in advance of hopefully the Vikings first victory of the season against the Panthers next Sunday. PA in charts, it's a Friday football Feast at Buffalo Wild Wings Lakeville. It's in Lakeville this Friday, nine to noon. It's brought to you by cors Light, food and drink specials and a chance to win Vikings tickets and more. You can go to Viking dot com slash bww for a full schedule in details of those Friday feasts, this one in Lakeville. When we return, you'll hear from Kevin O'Connell. He chatted with the media earlier today. I'll play back a portion of that. Next, this is Vikings Rewind, brought to you by Omni Viking Lakes on Kfan and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Reflect locations only do.
Speaker 3: What the Vikings Rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes and check this out. You can join Mike Mussman and Vikings linebacker Ivan Pace Junior for Vikings Country. That's Tomorrow night, September twenty sixth. That's at five thirty pm and it's at Jerseys in Invergrove Heights. Always presented by Miller lighte win great prizes too, including tickets in the Miller Light Lounge at us Bank Stadium. Vikings dot Com slash Vikings Country from more info and a full schedule I'mnordo from nine to noon, Vikings rewind the team's zero to three. You heard the highlights last segment. Head coach is about as down as I've heard him during his tenure as Vikings coach. He's feeling right now, Kevin O'Connell addressing the media earlier today, Let's listen to a heavy portion of.
Speaker 7: Very very frustrated.
Speaker 4: And you know, our team is our team is, you know, experiencing and our coaches and players we're experiencing a significant test right now, trying to you know, have the mental toughness to overcome some very very difficult results over the last you know, a few weeks, and and what we've got to do is find ways to continue evolving and changing our process to prepare to find the advantages we can.
Speaker 7: To be at our best for these games.
Speaker 4: Having watched the tape, I do feel like, even with some things that we could do a lot better, coach, a lot better me personally, that it was right there for us. And uh, you know, we we just need to find ways to get that to.
Speaker 7: Get it done. You know, in the end, I.
Speaker 4: Think we got to write people in this building. I think we have the right guys in that locker. I'm very very confident that we will push forward through you know, this test collectively, individually, and and really the best version of this team is out there. It's still out in front of us, and my job is to try to get us to that point. And that's pushing everybody in this building to embrace this as the challenge that it is and ultimately attack it. And we can you know, go through the tape today with the players. What I'm asking for is you know, a personal and collective responsibility, uh, for every single guy to and coach to look inward and where those little things we can do better, where the big things we can do better, and then ultimately have those you know, those results start coming coming via how we're going about attacking this. But come Wednesday, my expectation is we'll have as much urgency and uh, you know, positive energy going into having our best week of preparation yet, and my belief is that the result will come with you know, with that. But it's all about how we get there. It's it's very easy to get you know, be in a situation where we're on three and there's gonna be a lot of noise about what that means long term. But we've got to find a way to worry about the little things first and collectively build on those positive little things until it equals the result that we needed to equal.
Speaker 7: On Sunday positives.
Speaker 4: I thought, you know, offensively, with the running game and the explosives and kind of feeling a little bit more at least outside of the red zone, how we want to feel as an offense. One of four in the red zone was definitely a huge reason why we lost the football game. There were some plays to be had there and we just didn't make you know, a couple of those plays. And I got to have a couple better calls, especially, you know, on on some of those sequences where you know, we could possibly you know, either on the football in or find a way to throw it in. The turnover margin again, we lost the turnover battle there on the last one. We had a chance to maybe flip that number. That offense does not turn the football over a lot. I think their quarterbacks, you know, does a really good job of that. He did give us an opportunity there late in the game when we had the lead and they go from you know, third and seventeen two plays later, they're scoring a touchdown, you know, third and seventeen from midfield, and then two plays later, you know, we're trying to chase that lead again. Those are some of the things that I think, just as a group, all three phases, we need to continue to try to chase. Just giving you an injury update, Brad Burry, our hope is that he can. You know, he had a very good work week last week and feels stronger and he's getting right there.
Speaker 7: We'll see how he goes through the week.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we'll have him this Sunday in Carolina.
Speaker 7: We'll kind of monitor.
Speaker 4: Marcus Davenport as well, see what kind of work he can do early on in the week and how.
Speaker 7: That looks for Sunday.
Speaker 4: And then Byron Murphy did have a little bit of a hip contusion. He'll be sore, but I'm hopefully expecting him to be able to work through that. And then Josh mantell Us with his shoulder, just ultimate toughness to basically do what he did yesterday. Now we just got to continue to try to get him recovered. And so much respect for Josh and how he battles battles through it. But with that altern it over to you guys, Kevin.
Speaker 8: When it comes to the strange bounces that you've sort of seen this year, you mentioned the acalable one. I guess when you're making adjustments and changes, how do you kind of separate what is random and strange and what you're against you and what needs to be adjusted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all to me about uh, you know, situational emphasis. It's all technique fundamentals. What was the call, what technique did you play? Was it the right technique? Where were your eyes, the reaction, all those things that we can coach, you know, just continuing to coach the small of details to make sure that those guys understand exactly how we need them to play in those moments that when those opportunities do present themselves, we start making those plays. And and I think it's, uh, there's examples of it on our football team. For for a lot of guys to look towards of guys that play with great technique, fundamentals, urgency, understanding of what we're trying to get done, and those guys tend to, you know, shine on Sundays. And that's where we got to get our whole roster to.
Speaker 5: An interception or was the degree of difficulty on that catch just two times?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think it was a tough play for sure, But I think you know, Caleb will be the first one to say, you know, he could have made that play. And then ultimately, not only do we not catch it, but they do on the tip. It's pretty you know, pretty unique and and and quite a swing, you know when you think about what might have been in that situation, you know, with the lead and the way we're running it a chance to finally have a lead in the fourth quarter and and really put a put a stamp on what we did run in the football. You know, I think there would have been some opportunities there, uh to to maybe go on a long time, time consuming drive for points that you know, put us in a better position to win the game.
Speaker 9: Defensively, how do you kind of reconcile the whiplash of what the Eagles did two weeks ago run wise and then what Chargers said yesterday pass wise? How do you process like those two very different ways that they were successful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I thought, uh, you know, they they had they had a good plan to get the ball out versus some of the pressure looks you know, our tackling was pretty good on the perimeter with you know, there were a lot of bubbles and kind of quick throws and not really trying to worry about blocking up some of those pressure looks, and they got the ball out in space on a few, you know, a few scenarios there in the second half, you know, we're close to maybe having an impact on the quarterback before he's able to push the ball down the field. And and there's enough plays like that versus a really really good quarterback and you know, Keenan Allen obviously having a big day, you know, making some critical plays. That third and seventeen kind of back across the field. Play was a little bit of a backbreaker because you know obviously what happened on the next play, but that was a chance, you know for us to get off the field right there once again with the lead.
Speaker 7: And what does that look like? Kevin?
Speaker 4: I just think we just every single week is going to be by game plan, how we want to approach defensively, putting, you know, deploying our personnel, how we're going to play personnel wise, what groupings are going to be in the field or on the field, and ultimately you know what Flow and his staff feel are the best way to try to attack the opposing offense. And as we put more on tape, we've got to be ready to adjust and be ready for, you know, the counterpunches people are seeing based upon how we're building defensive plans early on in the season. And I think there's an evolution that will take place on both sides, and it's always going to come down, you know, defensively to those one or two or three plays that could really get you off the field and change.
Speaker 7: The whole landscape of the game.
Speaker 4: And I've got confidence in our guys to make those plays and the Flow to get us in the right call, and you know, that's something we'll continue to work towards it.
Speaker 3: As Kevin O'Connell chatting with the media earlier today. It wraps up Vikings Rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes one more time before I go, and I think we're all in the need to rediscover some fun again and you can do that at Omni Viking Lakes Hotel. Playlist is endlest It's just steps from the Vikings headquarters and training facility, and Egan book at omnihotels dot com. Slash Viking Lakes. The team's zero and three, so there's no way to sugarcoat that. In the NFC North, this particular division. That doesn't mean the season is over, but we do need a victory as Vikings fans. And next up, the winless Carolina.
Speaker 2: Panthers are on the docket.
Speaker 3: Adam Thielen will be cool to see him even though he plays for the other guys now. But gotta get this victory right here at your home. For Vikings Football the Fan, We're going to be covering this thing at length all week long, leading you up to a noon kickoff at Sunday in Charlotte.
Speaker 2: I'm Nordo.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the fan, Thanks for listening to Vikings rewind here on kfan and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You know that big bargain detergent jug is eighty percent water, Right.
Speaker 7: Eighty percent water.
Speaker 2: I thought I was getting a better deal because it's so big.
Speaker 3: If you want a better clean typods are only twelve percent water.
Speaker 1: The rest is pure concentrated cleaning ingredients.
Speaker 2: Pass me to end accoum thing a Penci shoppers. If you want a real deal, try type pods. Don't pay for water, Pay for clean.
Speaker 1: If it's got to be clean, it's got to be TYPODS
Speaker 2: Water content based on the leading bargain LIQMIT detergent