Speaker 1: Native Laandpod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Medium.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home. Y'all. This is another edition of Native lamppid, but it's a mini pod And today we are doing election projections despite the fact that sadly DraftKings hasn't been spark smart enough to sponsor our show. Nevertheless, we are betting women and men today. So we are we gonna place our wagers on who we think is gonna win the election and why and what do we do if Donald Trump wins? So that's the podcast. What we doing? Who's kicking us off?
Speaker 1: I just want to say, I one do not believe Donald Trump will win, but I want to say I feel that way not based on any scientific reasons. I feel that way based on the sheer will of black women. The we are spiritual beings having a human experience, as Loatasha Brown says, and I just I don't My mind can't compute anything else. I think the media has intentionality around creating these narratives around the.
Speaker 3: Race is so tight.
Speaker 1: Y'all know how I feel about polls, People introducing polls and like it's fifteen poles a day, saying fifteen different things, and it's meant to agitate, It's meant to keep us on edge when if we all just focused on I'm gonna vote on election Day, I'm gonna do early voting. I'm gonna get other people.
Speaker 3: To the polls.
Speaker 1: That's our only black job right now. So that's what I'm focused on. I do not think we will see another Donald Trump presidency. That is my declaration. Is beyond my hope. It is my declaration. So that's how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andrew Gilli.
Speaker 3: How you, Angela.
Speaker 1: You've been talking about your angst Angela, so I want to hearing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have a lot of inks, but I think most of this has to do with my control issues. I do not like for things to be close. Close games give me anxiety, and overtime after overtime after overtime, sports experts you know all about that.
Speaker 3: I know that feeling. Girl, I don't like it either.
Speaker 2: That gives me anxiety, and so I like for things to be like it's a clean break. We like know exactly where things stand, and unfortunately for us right now, that is not where things stand. I think even traditional posters are being a lot more conservative in their approach based on what happened in twenty sixteen, frankly with Hillary Clinton, and while she did win the popular vote, as we talk about all the time on this show, by three million votes, she did not win the electoral college. So you know, when I think about the states in play, Michigan, I'm worried about the uncommitted vote, and given the size of the electorate, the number of votes that Hillary Clinton lost Michigan by in twenty sixteen, I'm really worried that the uncommitted haven't been properly addressed. Around the Israeli Gaza, the Palestinian conflict. I have some concerns about Arizona. I have concerns about Pennsylvania, and I mean, for a number of different reasons, working class voters who are black, brown, and white. I have concerns about the black mail vote in particular in Pennsylvania and it being kind of the tie breaking the just enough to get over the hump. I have concerns about, I said, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, nov. I feel a little bit better about Wisconsin. I'm also worried about and not just for Kamala Harrison, Tim Wallas, but also for Tammy Baldwin, you know. So, I mean, I do have some concerns numerically, and at this point of the election season, y'all, it really is just about who can turn out the votes. So I think that there have been a lot of time, There's been a lot of time, including for me, focused on undecided voters. I'm not off that yet, but I do know the people that are clear eyed about who they want to vote for, please go to the polls, go early in case something happens on election day. We have a good friend of ours, Aaron, who was talking about you know, she wanted that moment on election day. We're like, girl, if you don't grow early, it's that same kind of thing. We just want to make sure that there are no mishaps, no mistakes, no threats, no intimidation, none of that going on. And I think my biggest concern, honestly, y'all, is not just about the victory. I do believe that Kamala Harris and Tim Walls have what it takes to get us across the finish line. But I'm deeply concerned about what happens when people embody the threats that they think they are, what kind of violence ensues from the other side, what ways in which they might intimidate voters, the way that they've been geared up for that now for well over a year, the things that they've put in place in states to challenge the vote, All of those things come into play. And so one of the biggest concerns I have is the fact that I fully believe this election won't be decided on election night. I think it's going to be a battle, and it's not going to just be a slog with the folks who count the ballots in the states. It's also going to be a slog when it comes time for January sixth, twenty twenty five, whether or not folks will agree to certify election results, which when they've been pointedly asked, they've not been able to answer the question. So I got aanks that I think I'm caring for about, you know, two months worth eggs November December and Janimary.
Speaker 1: Well, didn't I just say I When I say I'm confident, I'm confident about the will of the people. Now when we come to I agree with you, we won't know the election results that night. The fake electors are a concern I think combined right now election deniers and the twenty twenty fake electors right now represent thirty seven percent of the total eighty two members of the electoral College. That is a legitimate concern. I mean, legally can't will they vote against the will of the people. So that definitely gives me ankst. I should be clear about that. I think she will win the popular vote. I think she will win the swing states. Will people accept the election results they don't like, But a lot of people are concerned that she doesn't have it in the bag yet, and I think that's a good place to be.
Speaker 3: So all y'all who feel that way, you're not alone. But I just feel I don't know, I just feel like the.
Speaker 1: Ancestors pushing me at the back, like no, girl, it's time.
Speaker 4: It's time, I think.
Speaker 5: And I appreciate y'all sharing your thoughts on that because they're influencing me some. But I am checking in with my gut, and sometimes my head and my gut betray one another. Yes, indeed, I had a gut feeling the morning I woke up in November of twenty eighteen, when I was on the ballot for governor in Florida. I had a gut feeling that didn't match my head and everything going into it. On in twenty sixteen, I was in New York, you know, at the Javit Center, and at that time the idea of a Trump presidency had not even entered into my thinking. It was nowhere near. I was so thrown off balance that I mean, it was just I'm sure a lot of us were. But my gut didn't say he didn't warn me, and my head schrazelle didn't suggest anything different.
Speaker 4: We're two weeks out from.
Speaker 5: The election, and I will just quickly say where my concern lies. My concerns lie right now with white women and how they will perform. If they are gonna do fifty three percent for Trump, then I think we lose. Given the gender gap that exists right now, we need them desperately to check in with their conscience. We need them desperately to put them so first, not their sons, not their husbands, not their fathers, but themselves. I worry about an enthusiasm gap on the left if all of us truly know what the consequences are, if the sky is falling every election then why is the sky falling this time? And why is it falling going to be different from me good batter in between? So I think there's an enthusiasm issue that has to be closed, and I don't think it's been closed yet. And then my third big fear is the Senate. In the House, There's a reason Donald Trump did rallies in New York City. There are three very important pivotal congressional races that he feels his presence if it could boost enough Republican enthusiasm in those areas, could they hold those seats? In Florida, Ronda Santis went against the legislature, but he had the courts, and he drew his own maps, got rid of two black seats, black access seats, and they were replaced with a total of three white access seats, and all three of those seats went Republican, from Democrat to Republican. And that is how Speaker Johnson is. Speaker Johnson, I worry about the House, and I fear that the Senate is already likely lost. And in that circumstance, the Trump win would be absolutely detrimental to everything we believe and we stand for the good thing about these three concerns. If there was, is that there's still time to affect them. There's still time for white women to decide for themselves how it is they're going to affect the turnout of this election, whether they want to stay clamped to the past or define their own future. I still think there's time on these House seats for the enthusiasm to build that we need, and folks to show up and show out and vote for their candidates. The choice and the enthusiasms can still be addressed. If right now you are busy worrying about what the poles are saying and not doing anything to move people to the polls to change Those poles are predictive. They say it gives you their snapshots in time. But in some ways those trend lines tell us where things may be headed. And if you're watching that and we about to crash into a damn brick wall, then I would do what I could to avert the brick wall. And I think these warnings should wake all of us up. This race is far too close in too many key places, far too close, and y'all, I can't even get to the after, because I think the after is bound to be chaos. I think in some ways Donald Trump is running for the presidency for his freedom. But I also think he's running for chaos to undermine whatever the outcome is, so that there is a divide in this country, and that device continue continues by helping to keep him out of jail, creating negotiating room for some kind of a collapse if the opposition is strong enough, some kind of a deal to be made on his criminal piece here. And I know I may sound conspiracy theorists here, but I think Donald Trump all along has been running for his freedom. I do too, and I think at the end, in the beginning of the day, if there is a divide in this country, he can marshal that divide towards some kind of negotiated outcome for himself. Although that's bad for the country, but I do think that those are the things.
Speaker 1: That sort of can we Also, if he loses Andrew, the Republican Party will abandon him. At that point it's like, oh great, all right, well I'm not Trump is, but Donald Trump, because at that point they can say, okay, the problem with Trump is done. Like we got four years of Vice President Harris, there's no need for us, Like he doesn't have the vice grip on them that he does.
Speaker 5: Right now, if the people are still with him, he will still be the touchelor leader of the party, and they will bow to him just because they had a chance to get rid of him.
Speaker 4: He could have been old news before, except the people that the party he built is loyal to him. This is all again in the regiment of fascism. He is the love the love leader.
Speaker 1: You don't think it's fear of him becoming president again though.
Speaker 5: He may never become president, but he may pick the next one.
Speaker 3: Ah, I see, good point.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you guys this. Can we do like a quick round of like who thinks the Republicans are going to win the House? Who thinks? Or the Democrats? Who thinks Republicans Democrats? Senate? Who thinks Republicans Democrats presidency? Can we do that quick round?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Andrew you in last House.
Speaker 4: House Democrat, Senate Republican White House Democrat?
Speaker 2: Okay, Tiff, what you got same as Andrew? Okay, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think the Senate is going to surprise us and somehow they eke out a victory and it's going to be dim House, dim Senate Kamala Harris presidency, not on election night, maybe a week later.
Speaker 1: That you know that is positive because for a long time you were like, I don't know, guys, this is like.
Speaker 2: I don't know still, but this is what I'm I need to bet this for my nerves and I and I'm gonna even say, like I just am being different from y'all on the Senate piece. I think that I think that it's I think the Senate is the toughest race, honest or the toughest. The toughest races that the Democrats have is the Senate. I think that they've made some miscalculations. In particular, I'm thinking about the black woman running in Indiana, like why would you don't be don't not be competitive in states that you have not traditionally been competitive. Kentucky has a democratic governor, Like why like there are places where traditionally they would say we can't win and they could have won if they would have just invested some resources.
Speaker 1: Well, but even outside of like black folks in the Senate, because I think and I do want to correct, I did see all you guys' comments because I was saying, well, there are no black women in the Senate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so forgive me.
Speaker 1: I did I remember saying that when we were talking about the black women running, and I was like, they would be right now, there are no black women in the Senate. So forgive me. That was a complete oversight. My apologies.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even hear you say that. I thought you meant there wouldn't be if they didn't win, which would be true.
Speaker 1: That is what I was trying to say. But I would have I would have absolutely acknowledged Lafonds a butler.
Speaker 3: We definitely, Yes, yes, I would.
Speaker 1: Have acknowledged her in that moment of my apologies. But I think even outside of black women running, there's just some Senate seats out there, like John Tester and Montana. I don't know what's gonna happen there. I think Colin Allred might be. I think nobody likes Ted Cruz, Like, why do y'all keep sending Ted Cruise to us? Here's y'all's problem? Keep him at home? I cannot see. Yes, yes, it's very strange. And Vice President Harris is there this week in Texas, and I think that will get Look, we were talking in our group chat that Texas is not in play for her, but in that Senate race, we keep getting promise Texas gonna be a purple state.
Speaker 3: This might be the election cycle is why do we think.
Speaker 2: That Colin Alred could win that seat but she couldn't win.
Speaker 1: Because it's more of a local issue there. I think Colin Allred uh has He's focused on Texas. She's focused on the country. So there are some some policy points that she takes that I think might run contrary to the interests of the people in Texas, where Colin already may have.
Speaker 4: I think he's got everything to do with Ted.
Speaker 1: Cruise and Tad Cruise is just genuinely unlikely.
Speaker 2: They're saying even anybody and Maryland Kamala Harris has a ten point advantage over Angela also Brooks, which is also fascinating. I'm always interested when people I.
Speaker 5: Think she's splitting and a largely on what happens in these tickets is the fall off. This is the voter fall off, not so much Trump and the Democrat or the Democrat and a Republican, but the fall off that taxapays. And I'll just qualify I said Mexico because that's his preferred vacation spot.
Speaker 4: Everybody, it's sort of tongue in cheek if.
Speaker 1: We remember what I found interesting about that, but I forgot well that that's my point with these reprobably it's so much scandal you literally can't keep up. But during that whole tobacco when he was going to Mexico, that's how you know they we got don't.
Speaker 3: Ever come to us talking about our community, okay, because we ride her. She was in a group chat. Y'all remember that.
Speaker 1: It was in a group chat who leaked her at have leaked the text messages her the fred.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get out of this storm, will have electricity. Everybody bring the kids.
Speaker 1: Our group chat wouldn't neither one, none of our group chats would never. Ever, you couldn't convince me if somebody came and said, no, but we got this. I'm like, did somebody hack into somebody's phone? We we would never ever, it wouldn't occur, even if we were mad at each other, like we just know move like that, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Got no people that stuff out of group chats, they get summarily dismissed.
Speaker 3: Well, there that's a mini problem.
Speaker 2: It's just this many moment approved this message, and that is a great conclusion.
Speaker 1: Let the church say, so we all agree that vice president here is gonna win.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, and by the way, mine is is an admonishment.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: Andrew, Well, can I ask Andrew before we go, because you said something, I just want to ask a quick questions. You said that you your gut in twenty eighteen and your head were different. Do you feel comfortable sharing what you had told you?
Speaker 5: My head told me we were going to win, and my gut that morning was unlike anything I had felt all the way up through the campaign. When I went to vote, I thought, you know what, They're not gonna There's a reason there's never been won before.
Speaker 1: M I gotta be honest. When you were talking the whole time, your tone made me very uncomfortable. I felt like Davis or Jackson about to get in drone. He was so serious the whole time he was telling his thoughts on the election.
Speaker 5: Let me say that's why it's but it's only true if we do what we have to do.
Speaker 2: And even if you think about what happened, I will tell you Tiff like and We've talked about it a little bit on the show before with Andrew's race, Like Andrew ain't the only one that needed therapy after that race. Like you couldn't have told me Andrew was not gonna win. You could feel it. You could feel it. And that's why I'm saying, like there is something really important, Like even if you went over hearts and minds, if those hearts and minds don't take their assets to the polls come, it matters not And I do believe there were votes that were not counted. I know, I sound like an election denier. Florida is a different beast and they will play a mean, evil, tricky game. And so what you have to do is outperform they multiplied, right, You got to outperform the evil. You got to show up in numbers where they can't trick it or trade it or do whatever they do. You have to make sure that there is no room for a hanging chad. You just have to. And that's why I'm saying, like you can feel the like the tide is changing. You could feel people are ripe and ready. But if ripe and ready don't move, you know, so I'm with you on that Florida.
Speaker 4: We lookda to Florida. Multiply that right, multiple yes, Florida, but you know forty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pennsylvania, Michigan.
Speaker 4: Come on, and all the places where.
Speaker 2: They're messing stuff up, like we didn't even talk about it today. But the Muslim Democrat that got kicked out the rally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that cannot have a fumble.
Speaker 2: That's that's a huge fu kama. Cuss somebody out about it, Like what are y'all doing?
Speaker 3: Goddamn?
Speaker 2: And you can do that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Before we go, I just want to remind the folks that we are coming to see you, fam you, I asked before we began. I was I've been asking this question to everybody. I'm curious our viewers, but I just want to know who y'all think is the more obnoxious crew, fam you or Hu. I feel like fam you and Howard people are anywhere in the world, they just ra we ready, so I must see up close in person.
Speaker 3: Family spirit.
Speaker 1: They always this when they see each other. That's what y'all do, right, don't get And then they were mad because Andrew they were like, Hi.
Speaker 3: And you ain't got no Famu stuff in his background. Fami people go coming.
Speaker 2: Up it just don't capture, move it over so I can see it level.
Speaker 4: First of all, I'm here, Yeah, you showing through, through and through.
Speaker 3: What should we wear to home? Because we'll wear dinner green.
Speaker 4: I'll have orange green.
Speaker 3: You're gonna wear.
Speaker 2: Orange green with denim and tif this was your idea. You're gonna be in dinnim in one of them.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna wear orange. What in the cooler weather?
Speaker 1: I do have some denim, but I and I think I'm yeah, okay, we're gonna see orange and green and dini.
Speaker 3: We wearing the company fam.
Speaker 4: You home, everybody, and happy homecoming.
Speaker 1: October thirty first, whatever that day is. I Clober thirty first is Thursday.
Speaker 4: Bring your custom.
Speaker 2: Tip is dressing up as a rattler.
Speaker 4: Chip is dressing like a voter.
Speaker 3: Oh great, a voting rattler. Then I'm wearing voting rattler.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This reminds me of that. You know, when family leaves and you walking down the street, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Right, we're still talking to you, all right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Did you take up?
Speaker 3: Did you take grandma and play your mom? Come get your mama?
Speaker 4: Goodbye, good bye?
Speaker 2: Bring so long, but you might be a lot a long time. Put your seatbelt on.
Speaker 5: Look they'd be then packed the kitchen street.
Speaker 4: Locked the door, them, street lights coming on.
Speaker 2: You know that, You know that Joe down the street got a Trump bad signed up, don't you.
Speaker 4: We have stopped recording.
Speaker 3: Is this right?
Speaker 1: Natively odd is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.