Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory of Ken Rosenthal here with Alana Rizzo, and we've got a lot to discuss, as always on the program and Alta, Let's start with the first place team in the American League Central.
Speaker 2: I never thought we would be talking about this on June what is it, eleventh, twenty twenty six. Ken, Good to be back with you this week on Fair Territory. The first place Chicago White Sox. How did they get there?
Speaker 1: They got there by playing extremely well even without more when I Tako Morikami, they're great star who has been out for a while, but as I detailed in my notes Calumn today, their offense actually has been better without him. I don't know how to explain that. I don't know how to explain a lot of things with the White Sox. But they are a team that has the second best record in the American League since I believe April seventeenth, right behind the Yankees. They are a team that is getting enough from its pitching, and they are a team that is playing out of its mind at home. Eighteen and three at home in their last twenty one home games. It's an amazing stretch and right now they are playing the Braves in the middle of a difficult circumstance. Here a schedule that has them playing the Braves, Dodgers, and Yankees. They've won the first two games from the Braves, they won this series, and they keep going in a weak division. So it raises the question a lot of what can they do to keep this momentum surging forward? And will they do much at the deadline? I try to address that somewhat in my notes column today, and clearly they are a team that will try to add I expect that, But like the Cardinals, like the Nationals, if the Nationals remain in contention, these are the other surprise teams. I do not expect them to go crazy and abandon their development plan. They are going to stay the course, but at the same time, they're not going to ignore where they are in the standings.
Speaker 2: Ken, nobody is more excited about a first place standing right now for the Chicago White Sox than a G eight Pierzinski, But you mentioned them as a surprise team, the White Sox, the Cardinals. Who was a bigger surprise in your opinion the Nationals?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 2: I mean to me, the White Sox are the biggest surprise so far of the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 1: I would agree with you, Alana, but it is an interesting debate, and it's interesting because, of course, the White Socks were got off of the last couple of years. The Cardinals, though, traded three veterans. They were rebuilding and are rebuilding. They traded Sonny Gray, Wilson Contreras and Nolan Arnatto, and then they traded Brendan Donovan. Oops, four veterans, excuse me, and he's arguably their best player. So no one expected this out of them so soon. And the Nationals, it's just bizarre. They blew the game in San Francisco yesterday. We'll get to that. But they lead the majors in runs scored, runs per game, however you want to measure it, and no one really saw that coming. And they're pitching. No, it's not good at all. In fact, it's one of the worst tests in the majors. But they score enough to win, and they are one game out in the wild card standings. The Cardinals, they are the top team in the National League wildcard standings, and of course the White Sox are in first place, so all of them are surprises, and yes, I would still agree though with you, that the White Sox are the biggest.
Speaker 2: And how about Brandon Montgomery, of course, making his debut the other night, a walk off home or excuse me, Braiden Montgomery, a walk off home run for the Chicago White Sox. People were scouring for his jersey in the pro shop. They couldn't find it. They were making their own jerseys with Braiden Montgomery's name on it. That's a pretty special moment.
Speaker 1: That was one of the highlights of the season in my opinion. And not just was it a walk off home run in his major league debut. He came against the team that has dominated Major League Baseball this year, the Atlanta Braves. So to see that happen. And of course Montgomery was part of the Garrett Crochet trade and that trade has been bountiful, I'm sorry, bountiful for the White Sox. Kyle Teal will come off the injured list eventually, and when they get Teal and Murakami back, they're going to be that much better offensively. And they got the seventh best offense by runs per game in the Majors as it stands. So yeah, that was a great moment, Alana, no question. And it's going to be really interesting to see how this all plays out for them, for the Cardinals, for the Nationals, and just where this all goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for the White Sox. All right. So from the South side to the north side. Ken a very different situation with the Chicago Cubs, but they do have an asset that other teams will covet at the trade deadline, by the name of Saya Suzuki. What's going on? You wrote about it in your notes column.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't talked much about who the Cubs might trade. We've talked about who they might acquire. And they're still in a really interesting position. And forget what's happening on the field for a second. We'll get that, but in terms of where they are with their payroll and with the players who are eligible for free agency, even after signing Nico Horner, they still have a number of guys who are going to be free agents in Managa, tie On Boyd and sayas Zuki and Ian Happ are among them as well. Says Zuki, because he is a right handed hitter, has particular value in today's game because basically you cannot find quality right handed hitters. It's a real problem. And I have a stat in the story today. Going into yesterday's play, the ops for all right handed hitters in Major League Baseball was six ninety six. That would be the lowest since nineteen ninety two. So Suzuki would have value in that sense. Teams covet right handed hitters, and the Cubs because of the situation they're in, not just with the number of potential free agents, but the team in general, they're falling apart, so they're a team that probably will look to shake it up. You remember, at one time they were twenty seven and twelve. Since then there's seven and twenty two. At one time when they were twenty seven and twelve, they led the majors in runs per game. Right now, since that time, in this seven and twenty two stretch there next to last, ahead of only the Padres. You see the numbers right there. It's incredible how they fall and they're scoring almost two and a half runs per game fewer than they were when they were hot. I don't know how to explain this, but this is a team that back at five hundred now and I imagine at some point they're gonna need to make some difficult decisions. Suzuki could be one of them. Now he has a no trade clause. But at the same time, players in their free agent years generally will be open to waiving their no trade clauses because it takes off the qualifying offer, and that would be something that would be enticing.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, twenty seven and twelve can entering play on May eighth. Here we sit on in June eleventh, having lost twenty two of twenty nine, and as you said, they are even at five hundred.
Speaker 1: My don Bella would do anything for a treat, and I want to give her a treat that will take care of her long term.
Speaker 3: And a quick message from today's sponsor, the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. If you're frantically looking for what to do with your pup when they have an issue, the program offers customizable accident and illness plans, making it easier to get your pet the care they need. When you enroll in an ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Plan, you could get a twenty five dollars Amazon gift card. It's a little treat for you while you're doing something great for your pet. To explore coverage visit ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. That's ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. Eligibility restrictions apply. Visit ASPCA pet insurance dot com slash Amazon terms for more info. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insured and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the San Francisco Giants. What an unbelievable game for them yesterday, I mean, could have been the win of the year. Could that spark something for them?
Speaker 1: I guess it could have on them. But they're second worst team in the National League. They've got the second worst record, ahead of only the Rockies twenty eight and forty one. Okay, they're fifteen and a half games out in the division. They are eight back in the wildcard race. Now, some of their hitters have come around a little bit. Dever's got hot in many he's cold again. Chapman's been really good, John Hoolee's been incredible, and Bryce Eldridge the home run king yesterday, the guy who hit the Ultimate Grand Slam, becoming the youngest player ever to hit one of those, and the one previously was Roberto Clemente. All that is good, but they still have too many holes, too many questions, and I don't see them coming out of this. Maybe I'm wrong than wrong before, but this is just a team that is too challenged in my opinion, to really go anywhere. And I should mention as well Casey Schmidt, who's had a remarkable year playing on a number of positions. He is a guy who should be an All Star, should be their All Star. And there's the win probability charge from yesterday. They had a ninety nine point nine percent chance of losing this game and they won it. They were down nine to one and they want it. Good for the Giants yesterday, But do I expect it to spark a sudden surge to the top of the NS standings. No, I do not.
Speaker 2: The Nationals are probably a little bit shell shocked, perhaps not as much as the San Antonio Spurs are being shell shocked right now. But I tell you what, I doubt that they very seriously doubt ken that they thought they were going to lose that game to the San Francisco Giants. What do you like or dislike about the makeup of the Nationals? They are as surprise team, as you mentioned, but do they have what it takes to compete?
Speaker 1: I like James Wood, I like c. J Abrams, I like some of the lesser names who were contributing as well on the offensive side. Now do they have what it takes? They absolutely do not, and the reason they do not is because they're pitching is just not there. And I don't have the rankings in front of me, but I believe they're twenty second in era and that's not good enough. Actually twenty sixth in rotation era, something along those lines. So without pitching, you're not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 4: And offense, not that it's fleeting, because this has been more than two and a half months now, or actually about two and a half months of incredible offense from the Nationals, but at some point I.
Speaker 1: Expect them to slow down a little bit and then they're going to have to pitch. And while Lttela has been better and Michael is somewhat better, they still are short in that area. And I don't expect under Paul Taboni, their first year president of baseball operations. They're gonna go all out of the deadline to fix it. They're trying to build something like Saint Louis, like the White Sox for the long haul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your numbers back it up, Ken, because they are twenty fifth in Team EU out of thirty teams, so they just do not have the pitching. All right, guys, make sure you've subscribed to Foul Territory on YouTube and wherever you listen so you don't miss an episode. We want to spread the well. Get your questions in for Grill and Ken. Next, get those questions in for Grill and Ken. Ken Rosenthal answering those for you on Fair Territory. First question is a very serious one and it was a serious situation yesterday Ken seth Lugo taking a comebacker off of his head. Obviously Brandon Nimo, his former teammate, felt so badly about it. Should there be a way for pictures to better protect themselves. This is not a new situation. In fact, you wrote about this two decades ago.
Speaker 1: I wish there were a way to address this, And you're right, Alana, I wrote about this in the year two thousand, so it's actually two and a half decades ago for The Sporting News, and I remember writing a column after Bryce Flory of the Red Sox experienced something similar to Seth Lugo, and I asked the question, Hey, can't we fix this? And really the answer is no, and you go back to herbs score way back like in the fifties, and this has always been a danger. Now I would argue it's a greater danger now with guys hitting the ball arguably harder than ever. But outside of putting a protective screen in front of home plate, which is not I'm sorry, in front of them pictures now, which is not practical, outside of putting masks on the pictures, which is not practical. We saw them wear those outsized hats a few years ago. Most guys didn't like them. They never really caught on. So I don't think that there is going to be anything done. And my fear back in the year two thousand, when I wrote about this initially, and my fear now is only if something really terrible happens will the sport be forced to act. And that's a tough place to be in. And yet I just don't see a solution. I'd like to see a solution. I wish there were a solution, but again I asked those questions in the year twenty two and a half decades ago, and there still really aren't answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, twenty six decade, twenty six years ago, unbelievable that obviously it's still going to happen, is probably gonna get worse, and probably the worst thing would have to happen. I still don't know, to your point, Ken, what the solution would be. All Right, moving on here on grilling Ken, this is a question from Daniel RDR nineteen nineteen. Is there a ceiling for these contract extensions for players before they have played in the majors. This is regarding obviously to the Brewers and the top prospect. Is it a big risk, big reward philosophy for small markets?
Speaker 1: It is, And I don't know that I can say there's a ceiling. Certainly, these teams are trying to get ahead of the curve. And they signed Laura the Brewers did yesterday seven years, thirty one million. They've signed Cooper Pratt he got something north of fifty million. And what the Brewers are trying to do are lock up players at fixed rates club friendly rates for the early parts of their careers. And it's a small market strategy in many ways, and it's a strategy that could backfire if you pick the wrong guys. Obviously, the Brewers are confident in these guys. You can point to extensions like this that have worked dramatically in the club's favor, and you can point to ones I remember Jonathan Singleton of the Astros in particular, that have worked in the player's favor because the players did not pan out. Now, what's really interesting about the Brewers is they've given these kids the money. Now when are they going to promote them. The Brewers have a left side of the infield offensive problem. They don't get any offense out of shortstop and third base. Joey Ortiz at short is a great defender, but he is offensively challenged. And Lara is a center fielder, and he could come up and make an impact in the outfield as well, where Freelick is struggling, where they could use maybe a center fielder. Actually Frelly's playing in the corner, but they could use the center fielder as well. So I don't know when they come up, but it's simply a case of a small market team trying to get ahead of the curve. And what they're doing is trying to get surplus value out of these contracts. And what I mean by that is get more value from the player than he is getting paid. That's always the goal, and that's what the Brewers are trying to do here, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Spencer Cooper Pratt rather their number four prospect, eight years, fifty point seventy five million dollars, two club options two thirty four and two thirty five. Next question on Grill and Ken is in regards to the Nationals, why did the Nats trade Mackenzie Gore? They could have used him this year, hindsight, Ken always twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Well, they created him Alona because they were rebuilding, and sure they could have used him this year, and the Cardinals could have used Brendan Donovan. But these teams are taking an approach where they're trying to supplement the young talent that they have with additional young talent. And the Nationals believe they got quite a coup or quite a score for Mackenzie Gore. We'll see that plays out. You never know, but Gore had two years of control remaining and they just felt this was the time to move him now. The bigger question had been where they trade CJ. Abrams at the deadline? He also two years of control beyond this one. And the answer to that, probably right now is no. He is not highly rated as a defensive shortstop, which is problematic. But in the offseason, what I expect the Nationals to at least listen on Abrams given where they are as an organization. Yes, at the same time, what would be the better play trading him or extending him and building around him considering he is part of this amazing offense you have. That's the question these teams are going to have to face as they go forward.
Speaker 2: A question for the first place White Sox Happy birthday, by the way to Baseball tossed. He has this question for you. Can the White Sox actually win the division and we need pitching any names that make sense?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't believe Trek Skoober will be traded to the White Sox in the division, and I don't believe that White Sox would pay the price for Trek school Freddy Peralta will be out there, and that probably is a stretch too. I would expect them to go for a lower level guy now names off the top of my head. Let's talk about Zach Lettel in Washington. Now, he's probably not good enough for what the White Sox want, but they would want back of the rotation guys to give them innings because they have a younger group of starting pitchers that come August and September might start to wear down. I had a note in my column today about how the only guy in their rotation who has thrown more than one hundred and forty innings in a season in the majors is Eric Fatti. Now Anthony k has done it, but he did it in Japan. So they could use someone simply to eat innings. I'm not sure who exactly that would be. Sandy Alcantra would be a great call, but maybe again too much in terms of what would be required to trade him prospect wise.
Speaker 2: All right, final question on Grill and Ken. Has Fernando Tatis turned a corner?
Speaker 1: Yes? And before the home run he had turned a corner. He over the last month has done really well from the standpoint of batting average and on pace percentage. No, the power has not been there exactly, but compared to Manny Machado and Jackson Merrill, both of whom continue to struggle. Tatis has been a breath of fresh air. And again it's been a month now at least, I think that he has really excelled offensively, just hasn't ate home runs, but he did hit one yesterday and that was a big one.
Speaker 2: All Right, let's crown dude and dork of the week next. All right. Before we do that, though, I wanted to talk a little bit about your game coming up Saturday, Phillies and Brewers on FS one. Phillies offense is humm and ken, but I tell you what, the Brewers are a very good team as well. I'm looking forward to this game.
Speaker 1: This is a potential playoff preview and it should be a lot of fun seeing these two teams match up. The Phillies obviously have played much better under Don Mattingly, but they still are a team that has serious offensive questions and it's curious to me that they're not performing better offensively. Harper's having a great year, Schwarber's having a great year, but some of the players that they expected by now to be maybe star players are not at that level yet. Bombs stop those kinds of guys, but those Garcia's come on of late Trey Turner is not having a good year. So yes, the Phillies are twenty eight and twelve in their first forty games under Don Mattingly. As John Clark points out, there matches the best record for any Phillies manager in his first forty games. But there are still some real questions with their offense. Rotation is outstanding, Duran, the end of the bullpen outstanding, but I'm wondering when the Phillies are going to hit like we think they should hit. They're an older group and maybe it's just not going to be there. But I don't know. I still believe believe that if they get better outfield production in particular, and Brandon Marsh has been absolutely outstanding, but I'm talking about the rest of the outfield, then maybe we're talking about a better offense. Again, Marsh probably should be an All Star. He's been amazing.
Speaker 2: And it would be at his home park in Philadelphia, Citizens Bank Park. All right, seat, geek, we appreciate you being a part of the foul Territory network, and guys, we appreciate you being here. Of course, we have a code for you. You can use Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of Major League Baseball tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link and the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. Again, thank you, Seat Geek. All right, let's get to our dude of the week.
Speaker 1: I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.
Speaker 2: I couldn't think of two very different guys, the dude and Ken rosenthal here on fair Territory with Ken Rosendal, who is dude? You know you're a dude, but you're not pompous like the dude. He's like, I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. I just can't imagine you ever acting like that. All right, who is your dude of the week.
Speaker 1: It's Stray Mancini, just recalled by the Los Angeles Angels and I wrote about him today. There it is in his return to the majors with the Angels, Trey Mancini authors another comeback story, and this was a big comeback. It had been almost three years since Trey Mancini had been in the majors and most fans know him, of course, for him as a cancer survivor. Missed the twenty twenty season while recovering from surgery for colon cancer, and he has been kind of not the same player since obviously, And also he had left the game in twenty four came back in twenty five with the Diamondbacks. Thought when he opted out on June first from his minor league deal he'd get a major league golfer. Never did, and Brady Anderson, the Angels hitting coach, talked him into coming back with the Angels this year on a minor league contract. Took a series of injuries, but Trey Mancini did get back to the majors, and for his perseverance, he is the dude of the week.
Speaker 2: My dude of the week is Paul Skins, So sorry about that, guys. He stopped at a little league field, decided to spend two hours with these kids. He signed autographs, he took photos, he played baseball with them. And not only that, but Major League Baseball Players Association Players Trust said that he was also their philanthropist for the month for June ten thousand, dollars that he is given that he is going to give to the Gary Sinise Foundation. So Paul Skins, I mean, look at these kids will remember this moment for the rest of their lives. So congrats to Paul Skins for taking a time to do that. All right, time now for the dork of the week. Ken, you and I are in agreement on this one. Why don't you go ahead and lead this one off.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure who totally deserves the blame for this, but Major League Baseball the Sacramento Vegas as they're playing a series, actually two series in Las Vegas in the outdoor Triple A Stadium this week, and there's been an offensive eruption, to say the least, and they are using a humidor. I asked MLB this morning about that. But the ball just flies in this ballpark. It's the age Triple A ballpark. It has flown there forever we know that. My question is why are we playing major league games? Well, actually I don't even have to ask the question. I know why they're playing there. They're trying to promote themselves in Las Vegas. I get it. That's valid, But this is Major League Baseball. This team is already playing in a minor league park, and now you're in a park, another minor league park that is crazy offensively oriented. The A's in the series against Milwaukee tie the franchise record from most home runs in a three game series with fifteen. The first game was out of hand fifteen to fourteen, second game was seven to five, third one was four to three, So it calmed down some. But at the same time, we saw balls flying out of that park that were whole runs in none of the thirty major league parks or twenty nine I should say, so, I get it, But these are players statistics that are on the line. More importantly, these are team's outcomes that are on the line, and we are wharping them by allowing these games to be played in Vegas. That's it, dork of the week. Everybody involved with making that decision.
Speaker 2: No question about it. I mean you're talking about the team outcomes. I mean the Brewer is barring anything catastrophic or in the postseason, Athletics still trying to get there. I mean, there are half game out of the wild Card right now, but they should not be playing meaningful games for Major League Baseball in a minor League Park for teams that are trying to compete and trying to get to the postseason. And again it affects players statistics, you know, that can lend itself to problems down the line in terms of contract negotiations and those types of things. So the whole situation is just unbelievable. And again it always seems like the athletics in some former fashion are part of our dorks of the week.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, yeah, we should say, we should say a lot on one thing that these statistics are affected positively and negatively. Obviously, Jonah Hine gets a whole run the other day that it was actually a flyball to right field. He gets the benefit. But you can wreck a pitching staff like this too. And now the Rockies come in and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Well, they're wrecked anyway, but that's beside the point. All right, that's our dork of the week. You guys, We appreciate you being here very much. Don't forget. Ken is back on Monday for fair territory. That's it for us, but foul territory is coming up next. Aja persons be very happy man. Right now with the White Sox, Eric Kratz and Scott Braun Bucks Show, Walter Tyler, Kinney and Mark Weino are coming up with them. We'll see you guys next time. Thanks Ken, Thank you Elana. Looking to take your MLB action to the next level this season, Boosted Odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run BETMGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, activate your Odds Boost token and lock it in. If your bet hit, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred my reset