Speaker 1: I Am all in Again. Let's you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in Again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Again a podcast one of one productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, I Heart Podcast. We're doing a recap of season one, Episode thirteen Concert interrupt Us and we have some very special guests with us today, Vicki Peterson from The Bengals, John cow Sill from The cow Sills. Vicky Peterson is an American rock musician and songwriter best known as the lead guitarist and founding member of the Bengals. Since the band's inception in nineteen eighty one, has been integral to their signature sound, while also pursuing projects with groups like The Continental Drifters and The Psycho Sisters. Beyond her work with the Bengals, she has contributed harmony vocals to recording artists such as Tom Petty, Belinda Carlisle, and John Doe. John cow Sill is an American musician best known as singer and drummer with his siblings pop group The cow Sills. He launched his career at an early age with a family band that inspired the television hit the Partridge Family, and later performed with the touring lineup of the Beach Boys for twenty three years and recorded with artists like Tommy twotone and Jan and Dean. In two thousand and three, he married Vicki Peterson, and the couple has since blended their musical talents and various collaborative projects. John and Vicki have a new album coming out on April twelfth, Long After the Fire, which is a tribute to John's late brothers and Bill and Here they are, ladies and gentlemen, Vicki Peterson and John Colcil. Oh wow, nice to meet you. I'm so excited. I spent the morning listening to your music. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yay.
Speaker 1: I'm like two legends sitting here. I get to talk to two legends. I was just I have a confession to make. I just listened to I saw your live version of hair John from a I guess a recent concert or maybe it was ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it wasn't ten years ago. If I was singing here was he involved?
Speaker 2: Well, because it could have been the siblings.
Speaker 3: If it's my siblings, I don't work with them.
Speaker 1: Oh they're so oh, they were out touring.
Speaker 3: Out as the Cowcios. That's my sister, Susan, Pap and Paul. Gotcha and they do the Happy Together tour with flowing turtles and it's like the old Dick Clark's Cavalcade of Stars show. That's a very successful tour that they are on every year. Now, okay, that's probably what you saw.
Speaker 1: He's been with for so long that he wasn't able to gotcha, gotcha, gotcha? I read I read about the Beach Boys things too, God darn it. Yeah, then what happened?
Speaker 2: Just nothing bad happened. It's okay, he said, dog gone it.
Speaker 3: I think what happened?
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, I don't even know if I want to talk about the episode. So much is just interview you guys straight.
Speaker 3: Oh wait a second, but I saw the episode for the So.
Speaker 1: What'd you think? What? John? What did what did you What did you think? What did you think?
Speaker 3: I told her, I said, Okay, I have to go back to the first episode now and see what this show goes about, because I never saw the Gillmore's. I was always busy doing something else, not a big TV person. And uh, and it has it's so successful, and so I know I saw how easy it was. But that's how I found a lot of things, like let's.
Speaker 2: Say you got I think he was utterly charmed, as I think most of us were, the first time we ever watched that show and watch the damic between those two women and the characters are so great.
Speaker 3: Please do that?
Speaker 2: Please do we should do that more?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Vicky? What was it like? How did the show get in touch with you?
Speaker 2: We were It came through an email, if I remembering correctly, and we all just jumped at it with what do you mean? Gilmore girls? And it turns out that the producer, Amy was was a huge fan, had been for a long time, and we just jumped at it. Especially the idea of doing a live performance in an episode. You know that seemed really exquisitely original and fun. Yeah, so it just we were very excited and it was. It was a really wonderful experience turned out.
Speaker 1: And it seemed I know, nobody ever does it in film and TV production, but it seemed like you were playing live.
Speaker 2: We were actually you know what? Okay okay, And I didn't remember that until we watched it last night because I was like oh, I think we're lipsinging and I wait no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you guys were nailing it live. It looked like it too.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great. And did you get to spend time with Amy on set? Did she come on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Amy came into the trailer to our trailer, you know, and introduced herself and couldn't have been more enthusiastic and sweet and lovely and hilarious. She's such a little character, a little bundle of energy, and she's created so many, so many great No, she's beyond that. She's she's really quite a force of nature. That one. Yeah, And then we did get to meet Lauren and and Alexis was to say hello, and stunningly beautiful women and so funny. Lauren was just as hilarious as Laura. I. I mean, her character is very hun into her who she is a comedian and as an actor, just really fun.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the journey, you know, the formation of the Bengals, the formation of the cow Sills. I want to talk about that journey because it's so exciting to so many people. You know, I'm a songwriter. I've written songs. I've been in bands my whole life. I had my first band when I was in third grade. We played back in the USSR and I'm Not Your stepping Stone, and that's all we knew. I used to, you know, when I was five, I stood on the record player console and sang Beatles songs to my parents and.
Speaker 2: You know, uns familiar.
Speaker 1: Tell me, Tell me about how the journey began, the formation of the first group, the first people involved in the band, what it was like getting signed, you know, your first gigs, and that kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, we both have very different origin stories, I have to say, although I think it's fair to say that both of us probably started as kids pretending to be the Beatles. So difference with John's families that they were actually doing it on stage as competent, unlike me singing into a toothbrush ord. You know, I tell your story anyway, Yeah, we we. You know, my sister and I started out singing in the back of the buick and and uh, you know, absolutely just inserting ourselves into pop radio of the sixties and seventies and loving it. And then by high school I had a band with my best friend on bass and my sister on drums, and we continued that through my two and a half years of college before I left, you know, and then sort of our journey pared down to just the two of us, just Debbie and myself by nineteen eighty, and that's right around when we met Susannah. So we kind of just zoomed up again and started out as a trio, grabbed a bass player in Annette Zelenskis, and then Michael Steele replaced her, and just we're part of this little mini movement in Los Angeles playing clubs and sort of grabbing from different inspirations from sixties and again sixties and seventies music, vocal harmonies of birds and the Mamas and Papas and the Beach Boys ands and then put that on top of you know what was basically a garage band, right, sort of post punk.
Speaker 1: You know what, yes, all those elements. It does have some punk elements too. I just listened to Fall the Hero and yeah, really terrific songwriting. But you know, on top of it, those great harmonies, you know, that great singing, just so good, such a such an interesting combination of things. Yeah, physician, Yeah, what were the crowd sizes? Like in the beginning when you started experience, well, when you were playing live shows, where were your first gigs? Were you at the Troubadour? Were you places like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of a storied punk rock club and they played with all the punk bands.
Speaker 3: They were really a band that they were embraced by the punk world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it has that energy, it has that drive to it, you know.
Speaker 2: We just kind of that was sort of the world we were moving in. And then we discovered our cohorts in the Paisley Underground and then that became a click almost. Who were like we were like the gang at school, you know, wandering around, you know, just these five bands, and you know, no one else could be as cool as we were, you know it was. It was just really fun. So yeah, I went from you know, playing to the bartender and my parents and my grandmother, to to playing you know, punk rock clubs, to then finally the sort of shining beacon was to play the Whiskey of Go Go on the Sunsets. We finally got to do that in nineteen eighty two and then I went on from there. But the playing the Troubadour and the Whiskey a Go Go were kind of that was. That was that was the cinnaicle.
Speaker 1: Did you now you went on larger tours, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, but I mean it took a while.
Speaker 1: You know, people did it.
Speaker 2: The Bengals were an overnight success. We did those early van tours. You know, four girls to a hotel room. Oh and then the one boy road manager gets his own suite. I'm sorry, five girls are roady. Our one equipment manager was also a high school friend of my sister Debbie's, and she was a female. So yeah, five five girls to a room and then the road manager. But yeah, we did a lot of tours in the early you know, first years, very very scrappy, all in a van, sharing hotel rooms, opening up for bands, some of which were not well matched with us, and some of which were lovely. We toured at the English Beat, who couldn't have been more supportive and wonderful to us. We sort of aborted our own little club tour when we got invited to open for Cyndi Lauper, who was also incredibly supportive and lovely too. She was our mama. That was not a name dropping, that was actual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the question. Can legends can't name drop because they're legends.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know. We keep looking for those people. Are they here yet?
Speaker 1: Like legends do legends just sort of talk about their associates. It's not a name so for you know, for somebody like me, you know, it would be a name drop. See that's on my front door. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: He's dropping off a snare drum for right.
Speaker 1: He's a pain of pain.
Speaker 2: So anyway, but you know, like I was saying with John, had a whole different come back here.
Speaker 3: No, we're still talking about.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: And you did it and Mira, Oh for sure, Oh for sure did I Someone said we.
Speaker 1: Were like still still you kind of are You're very funny.
Speaker 3: I always called her because she does this thing. Yeah that's what you do anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so you yeah, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh? Nobody wants to hear started and where it's going. Nobody wants to hear about me. I want to hear about you. What was the moment, Vicky, the big moment when you guys realized you had made it like big time mainstream. Was it your first arena that you sold out? You played in a stadium, there was a festival. What was the moment. Was there one moment where it was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, someone's asked me that recently, and I my moments are a lot smaller than that. They're smaller. They're like that first time that you hear your song on the radio in somebody else's vehicle or somewhere is someone that you don't know in song.
Speaker 3: And when you're making your first video, probably like that has got to be exciting that somebody's paying for you do this.
Speaker 2: Right, first video was very diy again that we paid for ourselves on the streets of Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: So here It Takes the Fall.
Speaker 2: No, that was a real world It.
Speaker 3: Takes a Fall. That was a professionally done video and it was a great video. Here it Takes a Book. I liked it, and I just thought that must have been so exciting. You know, Couso's never had ship like that. But old.
Speaker 2: I do remember being in Europe when someone told us that Manic Monday had cracked the top twenty, and I remember running down a hallway in a hotel leaping about like a idiot. That's exciting, but yes, very excited. The I think it was actually the top ten at that point. But yeah, but of course we were in Europe, so we never got to We weren't here to experience the American version of that.
Speaker 1: What was Europe like for you? Were the audiences receptive? Yes, very much so.
Speaker 2: I mean especially in the UK and in Germany and parts of Scandinavia really great. We didn't tour enough in my opinion, in you know, France, in Italy and Spain didn't get there enough as much as we wanted to do, but we did do a lot of the UK and Germany just great audiences for us.
Speaker 1: And that lasted. So you guys were experiencing success for what period of time until it disbanded?
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, from what we were working hard from eighty one through eighty nine? Okay, yeah, okay, but you know in the quote unquote hit years were probably more eighty five to eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I think the question a lot of people have is why things end? Why not keep going? And I think, you know, I hear this a lot with Gilmour, Why did you guys end?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: It's so great and why can't you just keep going? Why did it end for you guys?
Speaker 2: Probably for different reasons than Gilmore ending, although there's probably some crossover because you put every ounce of your being into this project, and after a while that well starts to run a little dry, and instead of doing what you did when you were, you know, twenty two and it was so fun and you were willing to endure incredible discomforts and inconveniences and whatever, and loss of your own private personal life. Eventually that that of you know, off of one one for all sort of fades and you start to realize what else there is in the world. And I think that was true for a lot of people. There was that. There was also physical exhaustion. There was also the sense that we were no longer a unit and working towards a common goal. I think a lot of people started thinking different things and going in different directions, and that will pull apart, you know, a.
Speaker 1: Family like this creative process is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at that point, we were all almost thirty or just over thirty, and none of us were married and had kids, and we're all kind of you know, we had joked at one point about having mangle baby year. We're all going to take a year off and get pregnant at the same time, you know, on the road nursery school. Yet I didn't have any Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: It's tough for the music business. Music business is tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Really such so interesting.
Speaker 3: John tell us a little bit about I had a question to get back together after you guys stopped in eighty nine.
Speaker 2: And we spent another nine years apart, like to do things in yes and nights.
Speaker 1: Oh so you took you took nine year break and then go back together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and I mean we did. And then we did go our separate ways in our separate lives, and I went to New Orleans and joined this incredible collective called the Continental Drifters, made beautiful music with his sister Susan now my sister too.
Speaker 4: Her not anything like season, and had a wonderful musical experience completely different from the one I had just add in the eighties, you know, very different experience with.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal songwriters and singers and musicians, and learned all about New Orleans and the musical heritage there, and yeah, it was just it was fantastic. And then we start of getting the Bengals started getting offered to do these you know, sort of weird eighties package tours, and I was like, no, no, no, no, anything remotely like that. I refuse, and yet I started. Then I would get occasional phone calls from Susannah who would say, you know, like, well, I'm just thinking, maybe be fun, kind of fun to do something again and get back together, and I don't know, And I was like, well, I would only be remotely interested in that if you're talking about actually writing new material and being a functioning musical and you know, I'm not interested in going back and you know, being on the sort of being a jukebox. Yeah, I know you would, honey, that's the difference between us. I just that did not appeal at all to me. So not to you know, not to have have any cast any shade on anything that we had done musically in the past, because we definitely embraced that now and have been for years. But at that moment in my top in my life in nineteen ninety nine, I was only interested in creating things, not recreating things.
Speaker 1: There you go, right, needed the Muse returned in a different form with a different band, and that's how you feel alive. Yeah, No, I understand that. Interesting. Interesting, Are you guys playing any gigs today?
Speaker 2: And no live shows planned at the moment?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yeah, we have to do the podcast. They couldn't work today.
Speaker 2: We do have a book coming out in February. Let me just let me just plug this one we do. That's great February on the Bengals Authorized Biography.
Speaker 1: Very okay, okay, yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We've got a documentary in the works, so we've got some different ways to look at the history of and the you know, hopefully the contributions of that band.
Speaker 1: And so that's that's fun.
Speaker 2: That's in the works.
Speaker 1: And fans are when they find out who you are, they recognize you, they come up to you. The fans are still engaged.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, you know, in a performance arena. I mean I can go to the market, no one's gonna bug me. But when we're performing together, yes, absolutely, both John and I have that blessing actually that that people come up to you and remember you and hand his design.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful John, it's your turn, buddy, my entrance.
Speaker 3: He ya is there is Well. When I was a little kid, I lived in Newport, Rhode Island, but before that I lived in Ohio. And before that I lived in Rhode Island, but then we moved to Ohio. And that's so I'm about three or four, So that's where I first remembered any kind of music coming from my brother built upstairs in his bedroom in Can't, Ohio. So that's probably nineteen fifteen nine, nineteen sixty, okay, because I'm a little kid, and I remember turning five there. And then we moved to Rhode Island and then just life kind of went on and we saw the Beatles on Edge Sullivan. But before that we were singing a lot of folk songs because Bill and Bob played guitars and and there was just always music around.
Speaker 1: So you just you have this big family you have you.
Speaker 3: Have from got five older brothers, one younger sister, a mom, and a dad.
Speaker 1: And you had a family band. You sort of.
Speaker 3: Started family band. We're just a family at that point.
Speaker 2: SA songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just we just sat around the house and sang. I mean it was like watching TV. So and then uh, we moved for Rhode Island, and then of course Bill and Bob are playing hoot Nannies with their friend. They're a little bit older, like, you know, twelve and thirteen older, and and then it's just kind of morphed into the Beatles came on the scene Ed Sullivan. A lot of people my age who are musicians, beatles are our inspiration unless you're a different kind of person and not just regular. And so we watched that and as soon as it was over, we went in our one of the back bedrooms and all put on guitars and put on the records because we already had the records and sinking them, you know, just goofing around. And we did that along with always we watched westerns all the time. So we'd go in our bedroom and my oldest brothers they'd set up the whole thing like there was a bar and all this stuff, and we'd have cowboy fights, you know, pretending. I mean we would pretend to, you know, go over a table, flip over the bed. You know, we're just pretending we're in Bonanza. And the little Joe got in a fight. But in the same room we did.
Speaker 1: This double Blackie yea.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We all had Fanner fifties tied to our leg man and I don't know if you know what a fan or fifty is, but that was that was the most realistic toy gun you could have.
Speaker 1: With sure I had I had my holster and my cap gun.
Speaker 3: Was that a nowns this series with which was Little Joe with a left handed gun, which none of it could really do, but we woren't there anyway if we want to be a little Joe.
Speaker 1: So Vicky, let me ask you a question. You worked with Tom Petty, you worked with the Go Gos, you worked with Hoody and the Blowfish. Yeah, tell us a little bit about working with Tom Petty.
Speaker 2: The best part the first time that happened is is we got a phone call and I think it was actually Mike Campbell who had this idea. They were working on a song and couldn't quite get it over the finish line. It needed something, and I think it was Mike who said, we need we need vocals. Let's call the Bangles And we shut up like late at night at a studio and they played us the song Waiting for Tonight, and we build some Bangle stuff over the top of that. It was so fun to do this. It was such an honor. And then years and years later, we'll just we'll just fast forward a couple other interactions in the meantime, but fast forward to I was a twenty eighteen music heres was honoring Tom Petty as the person of the Year Musician of the Year, and he said the first song he thought of to do was waiting for Tonight and and he asked us to sing it with him. And then it was like, well, let's do this some too. Let's do this some too. Do you want to play guitar on this one? Let's do this. I feel like I'm in the Heartbreakers. It couldn't have been a more exciting moment. It was like one of the best talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a hell that's a hell of a band.
Speaker 2: It was insane.
Speaker 1: They were like that Heartbreakers band. Wow, it was a.
Speaker 2: Great American band. They were like the American rock.
Speaker 1: They really were. I mean they are. They were just a mind blowing band.
Speaker 3: Well, Mike and been both having new products out too right now, so I'm just yeah, I'm telling you record and Mike Campbells.
Speaker 1: You know their drummer Steve Lynch, stan Steve yeah, Steve yeah, Steve yeah. I did an EP I don't know six seven years ago, eight years ago, and Steve was he was in the session. He played, he played drums sessions. He's what a great talent.
Speaker 2: And before him Stan Lynch of course, and we we were thrilled. Last week we got an email from Stan because he had heard our song a thousand times and he and he had to email us to say, you guys, that that was just really great.
Speaker 3: He goes, he writes really really big letters.
Speaker 2: Really that felt that was that was great to hear. That was really nice.
Speaker 1: He you got that band, that band. I was just watching a video of them in Chicago. They did a Black Leather Woman live.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean the soul of that band is just bluesy Chicago. Wow. That's a dangerous band. Oh my god. And you got to play with them.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing, right.
Speaker 1: Wow, John, you played with the Beach Boys. You were in the Beach Boys. You were playing Bob Dylan, you were Chuck Berry. Wow, what's going on? Brother? I have been in the room with many people, you know, the two like of all the shows I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot of people live. I've seen everybody live. The Beach Boys, I saw them in the early eighties and Fort Lauderdale on the beach, and then they were in a high school auditorium I don't know a year later back in Florida, and it's the stunning part about that was how many hits they have, because every single song was a massive hit, and it was just one after another after another after another, and you're like, I never realized they had this many hits and it was like two hours of hits. What was that experience like for you?
Speaker 3: It was amazing. I couldn't believe it, you know. I put a We've known them for a long time. I mean my family, I've known Mike. Our first show, I think the Couseles we we opened up. It's called sound Blast sixty six. Nineteen sixty six, there was a Yankee Stadium show and that's what it was called. And the Cowtles opened up for Stevie Wonder Ray, Charles Eda James, the McCoy's, the Birds, the Association, and the Little Stevie one Under and Beach Boys with the Headlights. And so that's the first time I ran into them and got to say hey. But it was an amazing thing. I was sitting on my couch one night. I had played with Jan and Dean for several years, so I met I worked with Mike and Dean. They would do these spring breaks thing like in the early like eighty eighty one. I can't remember the day, but around that era and I was broke. I mean, I was living in a car sometimes, and so I was really happy to run into a few friends up in Santa Barbara. Whe was Jeff Fosquet and who had just joined the Beach Boys, and so he introduced me to Mike Love on the property, and so I ended up doing these Mike Love and the Endless Summer Beach Point gigs. I did a couple of them, and then Mike and Dean Torrents of Jan and Dean would go out and do these spring break things, and so that's how I kind of got into the got the organization of this time around. And then I kind of blew it because I was i'll behaved person on the road because I think I'm funny, you know, but a lot of people don't think my humor is funny, like Love is. People don't think he's funny, but I do. So there's too many details, but I ended up in the Beach Boys in two thousand along with my friends Scott Tatten, and I was on piano for the first seven years and singing, and then they moved me to the drums after that, and then I had a great career with them. I played twenty three years with the Beach Boys, had the best time, best catalog. They treated me so well. And then I don't know the details of why I always let go, but that's fine because it's a revolving door of musicians.
Speaker 1: I am twenty three years.
Speaker 3: Three years, believe me. Three of those I was how do I stop? And you know, and Vicky say, when are you stopping? So we can have the rest of our life before we die. So it was things were meant to be. So we have our project together after Beach Boys is over and and it's fun. This is our retirement. Vicky Peterson and John Colson.
Speaker 2: We never would have had a moment to record a record, much less promoted and tour on it. If if John was stiltory with the Beach Boys.
Speaker 3: Eighty shows a year.
Speaker 1: The year and what kind of venues were the Beach Beach Boys do you want us to play? And any kind of venue?
Speaker 3: Any kind We'll play your backyard birthday party?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Really much? Oh much? It wasn't up to me. So so they were gettingcho I get paid the same no matter.
Speaker 1: What Beach Boys. The Beach Boys were doing, like you know, private parties and things like that. So getting a ton of requests like from you know, people that can afford a band.
Speaker 3: Like absolutely, and we play small theaters, twelve hundred theaters rights.
Speaker 1: What's it like being so deeply embedded in pop cultures? I mean, you guys have had so many songs featured on TV shows, films, Austin, power, stranger things. Do you get excited when you hear Vicky like, for example, a Bangals song in pop culture today? What's that like? You could be anywhere and you're hit with a bangle song.
Speaker 2: What's that like in the drug store? I mean, that's that's that's great and and I love getting these requests for you know, for TV shows or for films. I mean, that's that is one way to keep the music alive sin sink, you know, And that's taking a song possibly out of its context and it's not necessarily going to be at a you know, eighties themed bachelorette party. It might be something completely different, and the somebody, the director of the producer, came up with this idea, well, what if we use you know here, it takes a fall in this completely different context in it And I love when that happens, you know, when it's sort of used outside of the expected use. You know, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It's I'd be happy to see it anywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just it's yeah, it's it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Would you ever get the band together, Vicky for a special occasion?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never say never, not anymore.
Speaker 1: I'd love live music. I just love it. I love to be around it. I love to play it. I love to do.
Speaker 3: It and help it.
Speaker 1: You guys are legends. Your genius is your great song, right. People deserve, people deserve to hear your music. You know, there's a lot of music out there today, and there's a lot of really good music out there today, but but what it's missing is a band, the human connection, the power of people playing on stage together live like harmonizing. I don't think there was a better time than the late sixties, mid mid to late sixties, and well actually the entire sixties, even the late fifties with all those brilliant you know, I heard the Beatles demo when they got turned down, initially five song demo. It was so good that it just it blows your mind how good they were when they were teenagers and they said.
Speaker 2: No because guitar bands were on the way out, right, Okay, right, guitar bands were on the way out, just like there is no rock and roll right now, right, Well, it will come back. There will always be.
Speaker 3: You know, well it exists, but not in the mainstream rock and fill will never go away now seeing the live shows, Jesus lizard, I mean people are out there. They're not in the pop world.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, so a little let me, let me get into this because it's just it wouldn't be so much fun. I just my favorite people in the world are songwriters. I just I worship songwriters and people that do it as well as you two do it deserve an audience.
Speaker 3: And I do want to say this album that we have done, I don't know if you know the history of this, but what this project is the first thing that I always have wanted to do. And Becking I've always discussed this is my brother Bill and Barry who passed away, wrote some incredible songs and I have heard them my whole life. I'm not a big writer, although I do right and I can fix a lot of songs. I had bridges and you know, more music and melody I'm top line guy. But the album is songs written by Bill cowcill and Barry cowcilm and it's just the best of their stuff really and to do this, I just remember them doing these songs.
Speaker 2: Arry Barry wrote some of these songs as a teenager year old songs. And so we.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed making it and it's great and we're connected to it, and so we just said, let's put this out. You know, it's just beautiful. And Alan who who this wouldn't happen without him, who is our producer, just made it sound beautiful, you know, his production values, and so that's what I speak to a song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we're bringing out to the world.
Speaker 3: Right now, is we're bringing these songwriters to you and to the brothers a lot.
Speaker 1: Just really thank you for sharing that. That's very touching and that's that's the reason to perform and a reason to share your music with an audience. Is just what you're doing right now. It's just a beautiful, rare it's very rare thing making that connection. And talking about bridges, the bridge and hair. I'm obsessed with bridges. I put them. I try to, I try to, you know, you try to come up with some great bridge.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun to get something that's even close to being a decent bridge and then lead it back into the into the main. But the one in Hair is just just it's so good, it's so good.
Speaker 3: We recorded hair e Fort Carl Reiner got the gods to re record this song lips and getting due to hairs and chain. So we're in the studio and it's about this bridge. It took fifty eight takes because every time it came to the bridge, I slowed down, and there's editing. This is analog. Baby. When you said the bridge and hair, I just gulped and left.
Speaker 1: Leave it to me to bring up the gray memory.
Speaker 3: I tortured, I tortured my brothers. I think, by God, he's taking forever and so you hear it. It's but it's a whole different thing. So it's okay to have the time anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, beautiful, beautiful record, beautiful songs, guys, real pleasure. And you know, uh, Jackie, and I'm gonna have your information. I'll be in touch, we'll be in touch. I let's let's set up. Let's just do what we can do. You know, I just I always think, you do what's doable.
Speaker 3: And uh, we'll be in Europe the next month. But okay, I'm touring with Peter Parrott, the only Ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well it'll take that long to set it up anyway, so by the time you get back, you'll just walk on to a stadium stage and just rock out sixty thousand today. Guys, what a pleasure, Vicky, thank you so much. Uh, John, just love you guys, and your music is important and impactful and fantastic and fun and beautiful and uh it means a lot to a lot of people. And keep going and let's see what we can do together. It would it would be a lot of fun. I have, I have, I have some good relationships in the music world, and uh and and let's let's put something together because I think it would be a real gift too to whatever audience shows up, and we'll see what we can do.
Speaker 3: Okay, lovely, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely our pleasure. And we didn't really talk about the episode. Did you love the episode? Yeah, we love the episode. It was great. All right, thanks guys, Bye, guys, be good, Okay, all right, that's going to do it than get a Vicki Peterson and John Calcil And remember where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe, everyone, do everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at i Am All In Podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com