Speaker 1: Smell us.
Speaker 2: Now, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia mea podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Radio live at eleven am Mountain Time. That's neon o'clock for our friends in Quincy, Illinois on Thursday, May eighth, and we're live for Meat Eater Edge. Qan Bozeman. I'm your host, Spencer new Art, joined today by Ryan Callahan and Randall Williams. On today's show, we'll interview Duncan Murdoch about the dinosaur Highway that was just discovered in England, followed by a turkey report from the Meat Eater crew. Then we've got one minute fishing with Seth Morris. After that we'll do show and tell, and finally we'll interview Alex Fogg about constructing the world's largest artificial reef. Now, in case you don't think this is a live show, we just got breaking news that there's a new pope that's been elected. What's your insight on this, Randall White.
Speaker 3: Smoke from that's all. I watched Steve watch Conclave on a plane last week.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, all right, But but we're gonna settle an internet debate that's taken the Internet by storm. Here recently. Every now and then, some stupid thing on the Internet achieves exit velocity and makes it out into the real world like it is a hot dog, a sandwich, or the hawk to a girl. It happened again this week, and that was can one hundred humans beat a gorilla, a singular gorilla in a fight to the death? Yes, I have strong feelings about this randal. What do you think? Randall has come today with a notepad that I believe contains notes on this on this subject, I.
Speaker 3: Do I I don't think it's a very interesting question. I think the the numbers, the sheer numbers, and the fatigue factor. But I'd like to just use this moment to bolster that opinion. With my qualifications as an all around great ape enthusiast, Phil, will you pull up Exhibit one please? Whenever I'm at a zoo, I like to go visit the great Apes. On the left is Grill World at Cincinnati Zoo. On the right, I don't even know which zoo I was at there. That was twenty twenty two, wow, and I didn't go back to check my travel calendar. But as you can see there, it says test your grill IQ and I did rather well that day.
Speaker 2: How do we know?
Speaker 3: You just have to trust me.
Speaker 2: Okay, but so many zoos and checked out so many apes that he doesn't even know what zoo he was at.
Speaker 3: Yes, Phil, if you'll pull up the next slide please, This is a bizarre image one of my favorite sort of freak discoveries in the course of my dissertation research. This is an ad for the Ruger forty four magnum carbing. It's like the forty four magnum version of a ten twenty two. And they thought the best way to demonstrate the utility of this is with an image of a man and a gorilla. That is, it's amazing in somewhere in Central Africa. I had just took a picture of it with my phone, and I've never had a chance to display it to the world. So here it is. We used to live in a very weird place, Phil, Exhibit three. Here. Oh, so this is a sequence of photos taken at the Cincinnati Zoo. That's not my child, but just a random child, a good friend's child. No, we're taking a photo with this friend here and suddenly if only we've been filming video, because suddenly he charged us and he slapped the glass in what might be the most frightening sudden surprise of my life. It sounded like someone just shot a gun next to my head.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're learning Randall is indeed a subject matter expert.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've also read Gorillas in the Mist. And then to prep for this segment, I I didn't have time to watch the movie Congo Oh, so I downloaded it on Kindle and I read sixty seven percent of it. Okay, I shared some of my thoughts with Phil, but it is one of our culture's greatest meditations on the gorilla's capacity for violence. So I didn't really get anything out of that. And then I brought this T shirt. Okay, this is from the San Diego This is.
Speaker 2: All part of answering the question on if one hundred humans could beat a gorilla in a fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just think a gorilla. You know, it's five and a half feet tall, four hundred pounds. It's got a powerful sagital crest that allows its jaw muscles to exert sort of unbelievable pressure on any sort of thing that finds its way into its mouth. But yeah, I don't think he can do it. I think you just get tired.
Speaker 2: I fully agree. I don't think it's even It wouldn't even be close to a fair fight. One hundred is such a big number. Yeah, one hundred humans, it's not fun. I think the debate should be what's the number where it actually gets competitive? My gas is like ten to fifteen. Do you think a dozen humans?
Speaker 3: No, you think a gorilla would win?
Speaker 4: I think I was going to say twenty.
Speaker 3: Figure the reach. A girl has got a wingspan of about eight feet. I mean you look at chimps. I mean chimps just tear people apart.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think what would be on our side is I can't imagine they have great stamina also or and but my problem with it would be I can't identify a weak point on a gorilla. No where do you go. You just got to punch them in the head over and over.
Speaker 3: And they have extremely thick skulls. Their brain case is not nearly as large as arms, so there's a lot more bone around it. And they don't have you know, in a fight, you're always talking about reach. Girls got us and they don't have chins, so they can't have a you know, like a.
Speaker 4: Boxer find the button.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly do they do they.
Speaker 2: Have exposed testicles, like, that's probably not a weak point either for them, if you were if you were really trying to think, trying to make sure that gross, they're just tiny.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just didn't think it was that interesting with questions, so I just wrote down a bunch of gorilla stuff about my history.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I also forgot to mention when I was I would have been nine years old, my parents adopted a zoo baby, you know, like adopting. It's an Eastern Lowland gorilla. Female adopted it for you at the Cincinnati Zoo, right or was it for them? For me, it was a birthday or Christmas gift. That's how much I love gorillas. I also spent a good deal with my younger years of walking around on my knuckles, and I can still here today pretty effectively.
Speaker 2: Cal an the clip. Any thoughts on one hundred humans versus a grilla in a fight to the death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought the movie Congo was great, probably underrated by cinophiles amy.
Speaker 3: All that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: But by the time I saw a lot of those movies, they had already seemed kind of like outdated to me, and not not in a great way, but yeah, they're entertaining for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The biggest shock to me from a revisiting the book is that it's set in nineteen seventy iron, So it's just you read it as a period piece, then you remember that he wrote it in nineteen eighty, and you thank god it's it's it's actually very cutting edge.
Speaker 1: So I think where anybody doing battle with the Gorilla would really fall short is there's not a lot of like trained fighting sports where you're counting on somebody biting you, right, I mean that's a that's a big, big part of the.
Speaker 3: Grilla development as a discipline.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, as as this debate got heated up online, there was a tweet that went viral by someone. Phil is going to pull it up here. They built out their roster of one hundred people of who they would want to fight the Gorilla. Here's some folks that were on that list. This tweet got sixteen million views. Fifty in his prime Turtleman, I love Turtleman, the Undertaker, the wrestler, of course, Nicola Jokic's brothers, Jason Momoa, a random high school defensive coordinator, slash history teacher and at number eleven in this tweet was Steve Ranella. Steve Varnella made the roster.
Speaker 4: One ahead of Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think he has the frame for it.
Speaker 2: No, No, would you guys want Steve on your your team?
Speaker 1: This is just an ode to Steve. It's not or ability.
Speaker 3: Only if Steve was charged with wearing it down in some sort of chase through hilly country.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if there was a debate at the beginning that Steve could engage the gorilla on Yeah. Yeah, possibly using the communication device and hands signals from the movie Congo.
Speaker 3: It's not in the book. In the book, they're just doing old fashioned American sign language. That's an element.
Speaker 2: When I lived back in South Dakota, I played town team baseball, which is like from eighteen years old up until whenever you retire, some guys playing into their forties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: There was a fan who would come to every game and if he'd see you around town, he'd maybe throw you a compliment. He'd say, oh, Spencer looking strong today. And I always like that that. That's a very nice compliment to give to another man. I gave that to Steve one day. I said, Steve looking strong today, and he didn't care for it. He said, what do you want to arm wrestle me or what? So, you know maybe what Freud.
Speaker 4: Would say about that, If.
Speaker 2: The gorilla can get Steve worked up, maybe maybe Steve would be acceptable on this roster as number eleven in the gorilla fighting cage manage. All right, we've determined that one hundred humans would easily dominate that gorilla, and we think the numbers closer to like twenty.
Speaker 4: Well, sorry, I know you're head for a segue here, Spencer, I'm gonna throw it off completely. Do you think how many humans would we lose in the process?
Speaker 3: Oh? I thought about this to a dozen? No, I think thirty thirty.
Speaker 2: You think he'd rip through thirty.
Speaker 1: I think you lose thirty percent of that roster at game time, like they just go no, No, I.
Speaker 3: Think the initial ten minutes. I just don't. I can't imagine what.
Speaker 2: I think. It depends if the fighting happens like a Jackie Chan movie where the warriors come at them and they like wait their turn. Yeah, we'll lose thirty for sure, but we could probably suffocate this thing with like fifteen people.
Speaker 3: The strength is just I don't think he can't.
Speaker 2: He can't punch fifteen people at once.
Speaker 3: I think he could. I think he.
Speaker 1: Could just physically tear them apart.
Speaker 3: I think he could hook us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm just saying I don't care who you are. Like you get in the in the cage with a gorilla. There's a large part of that roster that's gonna be, like, you know what, not worth it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: And Google says that their testicles and penis are quite hidden and small as far as primates go, so we can't count on that, yeah advantage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's part of one of the issues with their genetic depth. Small wieners.
Speaker 2: Right. Moving on, Joining us on the line first is Duncan Murdoch, a paleontologist from the University of Oxford Museum of Natural History. He's here to talk about the Dinosaur Highway that was just discovered in England. Donkey, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hello, Mornie, how are you.
Speaker 2: We're good? First thing, doc in tell us how these two hundred tracks that came to be known as the Dinosaur Highway were discovered.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, So there's a quarry in the center of England near the city of Oxford where I am, where they're removing limestone to crush it up to useless gravel. And when they were removing that, they were slowly scraping off a layer of clay and the bucket on the dig felt a series of little bumps, so they thought, oh, that's strange, so they called us in from the museum to have a look at them, and we verified that they were in fact dinosaur footprints, and then we mounted an excavation to uncover the whole site and yeah, we found over two hundred individual prints from probably five different individual animals.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful now to describe how big the tracks are and how long this highway is.
Speaker 7: So most of them are are one kind of dinosaur, and they form these oval shapes that are about three feet long by about two feet wide and about nine inches deep something like that. But we see literally hundreds of these prints and they go The longest trackway is at least one hundred and fifty meters long, so it's a huge area that's crisscrossed with all these individual tracks.
Speaker 2: And how old are the tracks and what kind of dinosaur has made them.
Speaker 7: So this surface is from the middle part of the Jurassic Period, which is about one hundred and sixty six million years ago. At the time, it would have been a kind of lagoon near the edge of a continent. We see two different shape footprints, so most of them, like the one you're seeing on the screen, are quite rare, but most of them are these kind of oval shapes that would have been from a large bodied, four legged, long neck dinosaur, think something like a diplodocus or a brontosaurus. Yeah, just like that one there on the screen. And then we rarely see these three toad prints. If you've ever seen footprints of a wading bird on a beach, you see these three toad prints. We see exactly that, and they were from a very different kind of animal, the two legged, carnivorous meat eating theropod dinosaur called Megalosaurus.
Speaker 2: And does this area in England heavy history of dinosaur discovery.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. In fact, the first dinosaur ever named Megalosaurus. The fossils came from a little village called stones Field, just a few miles from where we find these footprints, in eighteen twenty four.
Speaker 2: It was first name.
Speaker 7: So just over two hundred years ago, so dinosaur science it's elf actually started here in Oxfordshire and it was really exciting that two hundred years later were still finding evidence about these animals in the form of their footprints in this quarry and.
Speaker 2: How long was the excavation process and what did that look like?
Speaker 7: Okay, So we first discovered these prints a couple of years ago and we uncovered a small number of them, realized it was a much bigger undertaking, so we put together a team between the University of Oxford and the University of Birmingham. Was myself, my colleague doctor m and Nichols, my colleagues Professor Kirsty Edgar, Professor Richard Butler in Birmingham, and we then put together a team of about one hundred people over the course of a week where we went out every day. Most of the time we were painstakingly removing a layer of clay that fills and covers these prints to uncover the hard limestone underneath, so carefully removing it with trowels and then sponging out the clay, eventually uncovering the whole site. Then there's a process of documentation where we took literally tens of thousands of photographs to try and capture every single print, as well as flying drones to capture the entire site and image the whole thing before it's then reburied.
Speaker 2: Now, you said that this area was a lagoon one hundred and sixty six million years ago. Talk more about what England as a whole looked like at that period. How that's different from today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a really good question. So around say one hundred and sixt six million years ago, in the middle of the Jurassic, the continents as we know them today were starting to form. So there used to be this huge continent called Pangaea where pretty much all the continental land masses were together through the early part of the Jurassic, and these continents were breaking apart, so things like the Atlantic Ocean were forming. This created lots of volcanism, lots of volcano erupting in the rifting, and it created these shallow inland seaways that were forming as this continent was breaking apart. So England at the time in the middle Jurassic was underneath one of these shallow seaways. So if you imagine something like the Florida Keys today or the Bahamas Bank where you have these shallow seas with these beautiful clear waters with white sand being deposited, and nearby you have rivers washing materially into kind of in mangrove swamps, producing these lagoons behind where you get these sheltered environments. And it's in one of these lagoon environments that these dinosaurs were walking along, walking along what would have been a coastline one hundred and sixty six million years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there were multiple dinosaurs who created this dinosaur highway. Do you think those dinosaurs interacted or was you know, these separated by potentially days years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So the conditions needed to form these prints are very rare. So you need the mud to be just right. If you have mud that's too wet, then when you pull your foot out, it's just going to fill back in that hole. If the MUD's too dry, then even a tent on animal like Ctosaurus can't make a lasting impression. So we think these surfaces were only just right for probably a matter of weeks, maybe months, certainly within one season. So what we do find is lots of most of the prints are from the same kind of dinosaur, but we find lots of different sizes so there's potential evidence that these animals were moving in herds, showing a kind of herding behavior with different individuals of different ages moving around. Then the therapod princes meat eating Megalosaurus, they cross where we see these larger herbivorous animals walking along. Although we don't see any direct interaction between them, it's pretty safe to assume that if you're a big meat eating dinosaur, you're going to look for big plant eating dinosaurs to prey upon. So there's a potential that we have interactions between predator and prey, but we can't be sure because all we're seeing these individual prints. But what we can say is each one of those footprints is a single moment in the life of an extinct animal. So we get this amazing unique window into that very moment when that animal put that foot in that exact location, and you can go and put your foot in exactly the same place. It's absolutely thrilling to do.
Speaker 2: So from their brief window, what sorts of things can paleontalogists learn.
Speaker 7: So we're able to do things like reconstruct the environment that these animals are living in. So as well as the dinosaur footprints, we find smaller fossils, we find seashells, we find bits of wood. We can also do things that work out how fast these animals might have been moving. So most of them seem to be moving at a kind of average human walking pace, and so none of them are going very fast. And we can estimate body sizes from the spacing of the prince within the biggest individuals for probably about sixteen meters long for the herbivores and about eight or nine meters for the carnivores. And we can also observe these interactions between species, so we know that these two different species of dinosaur were in the same place at roughly the same time, so we can start to build a more complex picture of the whole environment that they lived in.
Speaker 4: Duncan.
Speaker 1: This is an active quarry, that's right. What's the fate of these tracks?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's still an active quarry. They're still extracting limestone. It's worth saying that if they hadn't been a quarrying this stone, we would have never found the Prince. Is absolutely because of this quarrying activity that we're able to do this work and they don't extract the stone that the prints are in it's no good. It's too it's too soft and material, and so they aren't being damaged or destroyed in any way by the action of the of the quarry.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the meat Eater Land Access Initiative where we provide access to more outdoor activity on on land here in the States. Primarily what are the chances that we don't need one of the fancy three toad ones, but one of the oval tracks getting shipped over here so we can action it off for public access.
Speaker 7: So there's a there's a few problems. One is if you try and actually cut out the prince, they basically fall apart. You can only really see them in the field. So right now they're not accessible and they're getting recovered with to actually protect them, that's the best thing to do. But we're working very closely with the quarry and Natural England, who are the body that oversee these kinds of things here in the UK, for plans for potential future access. What you can do though, is you can virtually visit this site. So we've created a three D model of the whole area and not every single individual print. We're currently working up publishing that and we're going to make that publicly available to anyone in the world to download, so you can virtually visit. So hopefully that will satisfy. The other thing you can do is come to Oxford, come to the Museum of Natural History, and we have casts replicas of the prints on display at the moment, So if any of your listeners are in the UK, please do come to Oxford. You can get up close and personal with a replica of the print.
Speaker 2: Very exciting stuff. Thank you for joining us, dug In and congrats on that discovery.
Speaker 7: No Parblan, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I like to tell there was a clear convergence of trails there. Oh yeah, like the ancient U version of a white tail hunter had just post up right there.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, that's uh. You'd call that a pinch point. Right here along this lagoon, we've got the shallow water ends. Obviously dinosaurs like crossing this spot.
Speaker 4: Wait, I was.
Speaker 3: Sweet, all right?
Speaker 2: Next up is the Turkey Report. Is there a sound for this?
Speaker 4: I don't have a sound for the I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I thought I heard a sound. Last week I played.
Speaker 4: I played this.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Bud, he's looking for the Turkey Report.
Speaker 2: Today. We've got updates from Seth Morris, Max Barta, and Tony Peterson.
Speaker 8: Take it away, Phil, all right, Seth Morris here, coming at you from Region one in Montana with your weekly turkey report.
Speaker 9: It's been a tough weekend of hunting. The birds are the most hend up that I've seen so far this season. It's even tough to get a bird to break around that you know, ten to two time period, which is usually some good killing hours. But I've been seeing gobblers with hens all day long. They're just not leaving them, and so that's made the hunting real tough, but.
Speaker 4: Kind of gotta do. You can get a bird on the ground.
Speaker 9: I killed this one because I finally was able to call the hens in and he came in with the hens, but I couldn't get him to break from the hens. So any way I could do it was getting the hens to come in. And my wife, Kelsey, who's with us too, she killed a bird yesterday morning.
Speaker 2: So goodness.
Speaker 4: That's your report. Good luck out there.
Speaker 1: Hey guys.
Speaker 6: Max Barter here, Central Tennessee Hunt Report. Things are weird right now and it's the first week in May.
Speaker 10: I feel like the birds have gone past their primetime breeding cycle, and they're kind of on the downslope of things. Birds are gobbling on the roost a couple of times, but not much. And then yeah, I feel like once they hit the ground and they're just not too keen on coming into hank calls. So yeah, things are tough, but I feel like if you stick it out and work some ground, you'll find a bird that wants to gobble. You only need one gobble and like you're in the game. So that's what I did here. This bird came about ten thirty, and yeah, it was. It was a great hunt. And yeah, it's been raining the last couple of days too, so I don't know if that's got the gobbling all mixed up or anything like that. So yeah, beautiful day.
Speaker 6: Happy camper, happy hunter, springs a beautiful thing.
Speaker 11: Hey everyone, Tony Peterson here with a little turkey report. I just got back from Kansas. Had an amazing hunt down there in public Land, killed a bird, and I just spent today, you know, drying out some beards, drying out some tail. Fans from my daughters have killed a few birds. I've killed a few in different states. The hunting has been really good, but it has been kind of a weird year, and I'm starting to see a little transition right now where a lot of these birds are switching to eating a lot of bugs, and the hens are starting to nest. My whole drive home from Kansas, all the way back here to Minnesota, there were lone hens all over the place in the afternoon. And when I see that, I don't know if you can hear this or not, but there's a whole bunch of frogs calling in my backyard pond. This is the time where if you've been dealing with hend up birds, which a lot of us have, should get really callable now.
Speaker 2: Not right off the roost yet.
Speaker 11: They might fly down strut for those hens for a while. But those hens are gonna eat some bugs, They're gonna scratch for some grain whatever, eat some fresh greenery. They're gonna lay down, and these times are gonna start cruising. And we always think that we're gonna hit that, you know, a little bit earlier this far north. You know, down south, it's a different story. But right now is the time where if you have, if you have the ability to hunt all day and work some setups through and fire up that gobbler. Sometime in the midday or in the in towards the evening. This is the time when it matters a lot and it can get really good. So I think it's I think they're gonna be super callable from here for the next I don't know, ten days or so, probably two weeks maybe, So it's a good time to be out there.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 2: Wow, three big time turkey killers there in Tony, Max and Seth. We got a global show today. We got dinosaur tracks from the UK, turkey reports from Middle Tennessee, got everything.
Speaker 1: I was dying to ask our dino guy if he was a feather guy, to like, are they just big turkeys?
Speaker 3: Mmm? I was I was dying to actually ask him if the long neck dinosaurs he was referring to our Sora pods, just to test my knowledge. But I didn't want to sound like an idiot.
Speaker 2: So you've always both had a chance to ask him those questions.
Speaker 4: I didn't think you have.
Speaker 3: So many questions the University of Oxford. I was shaking in my chance.
Speaker 4: What's your favorite dinosaur? Oh?
Speaker 2: You know what, that would have been good place they.
Speaker 4: Could run fast. Sad you think a hundred velociraptors could kill a gorilla.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he use all of Timmy's bad dinosaur jokes from another Michael Crichton joint, Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Do you think I wasn't on last week's episode, but I heard Phil give himself an invite to Randall's turkey hunt. Are you aware of this? Randall?
Speaker 3: Vaguely, I've tried to invite Phil to turkey hunts that other people have invited me on.
Speaker 12: Huh uh.
Speaker 3: There isn't really a Randall turn turkey hunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thing. I wasn't inviting myself to any sort of pre planned hunt. I said, you know, I think it'd be fun if Randall wanted to go turkey hunting. Yeah, that I joined it. I didn't invite myself. That was a rude phrasing and I don't stand for it.
Speaker 2: Phil, you should invite yourself exactly what.
Speaker 3: I just tried to invite myself on the Max's turkey hunting calendar for next week. So okay, if if Max fits me in, Phil, uh clear your calendar?
Speaker 4: All right? You would? So you'll invite me to maxis yes, and we won't. We just won't tell Max.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'll tell Max. But he's pretty easy going.
Speaker 4: Okay, that'd be wonderful. That sounds like a blast.
Speaker 3: I just like the vibe of Max's video. It sort of started out. I wasn't sure where it was going. But these turkey guys love the reveal where they can just twist their body a little corn change, the alter the angle of the camera.
Speaker 4: Tough.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of guys could do it, did the same things we go outside.
Speaker 4: But this guy made a mistake.
Speaker 3: Guy, the guy of Max's eye can pull that off with a turkey, but not like a bull moose. I'd like to just see how large of an animal I can hide with my torso in a video.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, Phil did not invite himself, but that's me telling Phil he should invite himself that way into a turkey hunt. Rail all right, we're halfway through the show. Let's get a break for some listener feedback.
Speaker 4: Sure, let's let's start out with the big one. Jody says, can cal expand on the late Night Amendment to sell public lands in the House budget package, and.
Speaker 3: In parentheses it says in under two minutes, I.
Speaker 1: Think, okay, yeah, okay, very very quickly. Reconciliation is super scary because there is a process a public process that allows for the sale of small parcels of public land to address all the needs that these people are saying they're trying to address, such as public housing, infrastructure, restraints on rural communities, et cetera. In reconciliation, they're trying to push this through under the normal process. Sorry to back up one second, under the normal process, which would be like flippa and flip moa, lots of acronyms in the government game, we can deal with giving up some parcels of public land because that cash then goes towards the purchase of lands of greater value for the American people. So it's kind of built on a win win system. The municipality that's constrained gets a little more space for water projects or housing in this case, and we the American people, get a quote unquote better chunk of ground. It's a square fair deal. This reconciliation BS, if I'm being frank, is not going to ding our national debt at all. There's absolutely no guidelines say this is how it's going to address the sale of land, the staking of our federally managed public lands with a big for sale sign. There's no guidelines that say this is how it's going to alleviate housing or provide any value for the American people. Add some context, explain sale will go into the treasury. The dollars from that sale will go into the treasury. There's no public process.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Spencer, explain what happened last night at midnight as to why this is being brought up.
Speaker 1: Basically, there's a very short timeline to get this budget through. Memorial Day weekend is like the goal, the stated goal from the outset. So folks are starting to scramble, and when you're scrambling, there's opportunities to slide in things to say, oh, yeah, we'll totally give you what you want, but here's this thing that you got to sign off on. And so at eleven last night, Arizona and Utah slid in this provision for the sale of public lands. Right now, there's no context as to how many acres that is, but we're hearing numbers as high as six hundred and fifty thousand acres, which is something that you can't do under the Flipma process. And we don't know how these lands have been selected what they're trying to address. All we know is this is a major opportunity for folks that want to get this done. And by and large, the vast majority of the American public do not agree with this. So this is a very small group of interests being prioritized over we the American people, and nobody should stand for this. You need to get on the horns with your senators and representatives in the House. And I've been doing this all morning and a last night. It's not that hard, but you need to send your emails, your phone calls and talk to staffers and say, hey, I do not like where this is headed.
Speaker 2: And for more on this, we've got coverage on the medeater dot com. We just published an article Republicans vote to sell public land in midnight Amendment. You'll get a fuller story there.
Speaker 1: And it's like, we're selling things that can make us money and when you're trying to dig yourself out of debt, that's not what you do.
Speaker 2: Bill. What else you got?
Speaker 4: McKenna says, let's go Oklahoma City. What do you think about that? Spencer?
Speaker 2: I was just an ass whooping of epic proportions last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That Mitchell follows up with what the Nuggets need to do to make the fix from last night.
Speaker 3: Ruffalos.
Speaker 2: I'll be real quick. Michael Porter Junior is not good enough. He's way too hurt. Jamal Murray has not been a second fiddle lately. He's good enough to be a third fiddle, he's not been good enough to be a second fiddle. And we have two shallow of a bench. So a lot of issues that can't be fixed with basketball. You just see Nicola Jokic to go god mode.
Speaker 3: That's in big Westbrook energy. That's right.
Speaker 2: Russell Westbrook has been phenomenal. Good on ross.
Speaker 4: Fun to see us anything else from Dan Pooper real name A question for the lads. Do you guys have a vintage piece of gear do you prefer or think is superior to modern current? It's dB Pooper. Oh, that's good. That is good.
Speaker 3: When I was at the when I was at the Blazers game, I don't remember the guy's initials. One of the one of the rotation guys for the for the Blazers, his initials are dB. And when it's score, they go dB Hooper and they had like a sketch, you know if dB Cooper, but it was the player's face in there. I thought it was very clever.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because he landed not not too far.
Speaker 2: From back to mister pooper here, Cal, any vintage piece of gear that you really really.
Speaker 1: Like, knives, hatchets, axes, all those things can be multiple lifetime pieces of year. I think everybody's got something that they're attached to in that lineup. Also, can't beat just cannot be a good pair of wool pants for out outdoor activities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, knife is a good one. Dutch oven too, Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Cast iron.
Speaker 2: Got an old Dutch oven that I really love, and that's the Dutch oven all on for the rest of my life, I think, randall anything to add.
Speaker 3: I think the closest thing I have to a vintage piece of gear that easily comes to mind is just an old ass grum and canoe. It's just a timeless piece. Yeah, craigslist score. Yeah, it will serve you well.
Speaker 6: Phil.
Speaker 2: Let's do one more and then we're gonna move on.
Speaker 4: Sure, because we got Cal in the room. Not that you two are, you know? Flying Taco Mouse says he's making or they're making green ear stuffed bred today. Any suggestions for what dish to pair it with? Guessing wild game, we're talking here whoa man sink? Yeah, that's stinky cheese. Any any sort of any any sort of a pairing.
Speaker 1: You'd yeah, media, I mean just medium rare cut against the grain meat that sounds delicious.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little fresh.
Speaker 1: Onion on there, like that too.
Speaker 4: There you go make it extra stinky.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 2: Our next segment is one minute Fishing.
Speaker 9: Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 2: We'll do you dunk, go ahead, make my cast. One minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our wrangler is Seth Morris, who's at the meat Eater HQ pond and he's fishing for a donation to Wiley is Unlimited.
Speaker 3: Good to see us, Seth, Hey, guys, how are we doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing good? Seth. Give us a little scouting report on the meat eater pond today.
Speaker 9: All right, So I came out earlier. I made a couple casts. I had one swipe at it, which was ideal because I didn't actually want to catch one, and that told me all I need to know. So there's some water flowing into this pond and seems like they're stacked up over there in the current.
Speaker 2: What's the water couler do you like today?
Speaker 9: It's pretty good. I'd say three feet four feet. And I will say, though, we just talked to a youngster that was fishing in the same spot when we came out here, and he said he had not caught anything.
Speaker 1: Oh no, But did you give me the old brush off where you're like, oh yeah, there's nothing in there.
Speaker 4: Beat it.
Speaker 3: Maybe you thought you were a jump.
Speaker 9: When you get a few more years of experience under your belt like I have, maybe you'll catch them.
Speaker 2: What what are we using today, Seth? I see you got the spinning rod in your hands.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, spinning rod as always number four panther Martin.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go to every child needs one of those.
Speaker 2: It's right. We have not had a successful angler on the meat eater pond yet, and this is our first one minute fishing of the year since the ice has melted, so maybe this is our chance. Seth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would say this is the best time to fish this pond. Oh ye, all right, experience, we'll see.
Speaker 2: A little hot tip off.
Speaker 3: How's the garbage situation? Down there, good flow.
Speaker 9: Well, I noticed over here is a pile of plastic bottles yep, okay, which isn't great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna do clean up on that on Monday. As an office uh huh.
Speaker 2: And we've got I think we've got as many employees here as there are pieces of trash out there, So maybe leave some garbage while you're out there, Seth, trip over or dump over the dumpster so we have something to clean up next week.
Speaker 9: Oh, there is a garbage can of tipped over over here.
Speaker 2: So okay, perfect, kick that thing into the water for us. All right, Seth, your one minute of fishing starts as soon as you make your first cast.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, all right, there we go.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Seth's made his first cast right towards the current that he thinks the fish are hanging in.
Speaker 4: Got new music, Phil, Oh No, it just starts off really silent and then gets way too loud.
Speaker 2: Beautiful day here in Bozeman. We've got green grass, no wind.
Speaker 3: Had a glassy water.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. All right, Seth is on the cast number two, and he's got twenty seconds into his one minute.
Speaker 3: Somehow he managed to avoid casting it into that tree where I cast.
Speaker 2: It, Seth thirty seconds ago. Come on, Seth, he's making his third cast. He might be able to get one more cast in here.
Speaker 3: Do it for the memory of Chester.
Speaker 2: All right, ches's still very much alive, just a few states away, basically dead. All right, you have ten seconds to go, Seth. Always taken a few steps with that cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tournament angler cast right there.
Speaker 2: Oh, your time is up, Seth Morris, tell us, tell us what what happened there? Seth?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, the cast were in the right spot, the technique was there, just I don't think the fish were there.
Speaker 2: The fish were yeah, yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 9: We might need to rethink.
Speaker 2: Spot or we need to we need to stock that pond. Maybe that's what we gotta do.
Speaker 3: This segment continues to just produce.
Speaker 9: I think next time we need to go with a bobber and a night crawler.
Speaker 2: Yeah or yeah, do one of each? Have that? Have a bobber and a night crawler out there and throw your panther Martin.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if he's in a two rob zone. Check check the eggs.
Speaker 2: We'll see what the REGs say about the mediatory h Q pond all right, Seth, thanks for joining us. Good luck with your day of fishing out there at the pond.
Speaker 3: Seeing a little bit says we'll see you.
Speaker 2: All right. Our next segment is show and tell.
Speaker 12: Mm hmm, Manie a show down, Manie a show had step boom, Manie a show.
Speaker 2: No, Spencer brought a rock?
Speaker 4: What else did you inspect?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is that Steve Winwood? It is indeed Steve Winwood.
Speaker 4: I love a song.
Speaker 2: Uh back in the high life again. If I owned a yacht, I'd play yacht rock all day and Steve Winwood he.
Speaker 4: Would yacht rock all day in my Hyundai Santa Fe. Spencer, do you have serious ExM No, I just spotify plist. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love when I did have serious though I would. Yacht rock was one of my five presets on there. I loved yacht rock and Steve Winwood he would have some prime real estate in that yacht rock playlist for certain. All right, Randal, let's start with you. What did you bring to show the classroom today?
Speaker 3: I brought one item from home, and then when I got to the off today, I thought I'd add another item today, and I figured that col didn't bring something, so I thought, I'll just do twos.
Speaker 2: What you brought, and then we'll find out.
Speaker 3: So the first thing I brought, The first thing I brought is a rare limited edition. You know, we've been hearing from the fans that they needed a book version of the audio Mountain Man. This is, in fact not a licensed version. This is just some bootleg thing that a guy produced with chat, GPT and A and a print as you buy system. So I saw this on Amazon, and before the lawyers could take it down, I ordered a copy for eleven dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, this guy didn't do this is like a favor to us. He was trying, no, no legit.
Speaker 3: This was just show showed up on her on our audiobook thing. Yeah, and so it's it doesn't have a back cover, and it's it's very strange.
Speaker 4: There's like, so to create your own back cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and clearly they fed so that The one troubling thing, and maybe this is a big takeaway, is you hear how like artificial intelligence is getting so good and it's just like all it can do is is look at text and predict what text there should be, you know, And I read this and it's horrible.
Speaker 2: Oh and so are not your words that are well right?
Speaker 3: They fed our audio into chat ept and they had it make something that sounded like that. And so this is so bad it's making me sort of rethink my own abilities as a writer.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I just got word from Corey Seth Coott went on the next cast.
Speaker 2: We need to make it.
Speaker 3: So, guys, if you see if you see any print versions of our audiobooks, they are in fact illegal pirated versions, and don't buy them unless you just want a funny keepsake, which I did.
Speaker 2: So you should have got what was that guy charging for that box? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The next thing I brought is uh the oldest, the oldest and more most celebrate freeze dried meal in my pantry. This is a Cincinnati style chili backpacker's pantry that I purchased at the Bozeman ARII. I believe in like twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Oh when did it expire?
Speaker 3: The expiration date was in May of last year. Oh, and you can see some of the labels are peeling off of it. And I've always saved this for a real special occasion and uh ate it right now. The time is never right, so it always goes into my backpack when I'm going out on a hunt where I think I'm gonna, you know, have a memorable moment that I want to celebrate with a fake version of Cincinnati style chili.
Speaker 2: What would it take?
Speaker 3: You think, big old, big old bowl? But then I get into a rush, you know, I get an animal down, I start cutting it up, and then I start thinking about how I can get it out of there. So it's really like I'd have to be trapped on the mountain with the an animal of a lifetime for me to actually tear the seal on this, because I don't think they make it anymore.
Speaker 2: How does the seal feel on that thing? It's eight years old?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Pretty good.
Speaker 3: You know it doesn't like balloon out?
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: When I yeah, I don't think it's airtight. Okay, I'm just I hadn't really thought about it. I've rolled it up and put in my backpack a lot over.
Speaker 2: The past ten years, gone with though on a lot of trips.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's kind of like an old friend.
Speaker 2: Now, was it saved for a special occasion the day you bought it? Or did that recently change where it's like, Okay, now I was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was thrilled when I found it, and I should have bought a lot of them. It wasn't No, I didn't like buy it with the intention of saving it, but it just never felt right to break into it. And then over time it was like, I've got to pick the right occasion. So probably three years after this went in and out of my backpack, I decided it's a real thing to actually eat it someday, And to be honest, I don't know that I ever will. I think my best days are behind me, and I also lack the courage of conviction required to do something like, you know, taking a moment and celebrate my accomplishments.
Speaker 2: So I hope it happens this fall y, Does that mean you killed something big?
Speaker 3: Well, tuck this under my arm pit when I'm heading six feet under.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good, cat. What'd you bring today for show and tell? Prove Randa wrong at least taking a shoe off?
Speaker 4: All right? What do you got here? Just incredibly on brand? Do we have a QVC style? Just imagine we're playing playing the music from the countdown? Just some some socks.
Speaker 1: Lots of folks were into crocks I discovered these birken Stocks versions of a croc. You can call them a Burkeen croc. Oh lighter weight, I'll be the judge of that lighter weight obviously weight class. Here, great camp shoe, backpacking shoe.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And you know it's retal molded, doesn't stinko super comfey.
Speaker 2: Good smell it, Randall, see if it smells or not?
Speaker 3: No, you got to smell the insider.
Speaker 2: H yeah, well yeah it's good. Let Randall. I'm not saying smell it.
Speaker 3: No, it smells like feet. It literally just smells like a shoe.
Speaker 1: But I highly recommend they were thirty bucks.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Cal's show intel item with the shoes on his feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good. Grant Grant asks is it breathable?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 4: No, well okay, I can't have it all not much of a QBC.
Speaker 3: Second, all right, my Show and Tell item, Well we'll get better phil and and and listeners. Listeners if you're out there.
Speaker 4: Uh but wait, there's more.
Speaker 3: Chime in with your thoughts on whether or not Cal intended to use his shoe for Show and Tell today.
Speaker 2: Why don't you show us that hoodie you were? And uh maybe maybe the Eddie mug you're drinking out of next time.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no problem.
Speaker 1: I was going to do this talk about this program that Pheasants Forever Quail Forever together.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to say something for more show and tells.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hopefully that show tell is is the winter time again when he has as many layers as he needs to come up with a good item.
Speaker 1: Providing value to our audience.
Speaker 2: Huh, my show and tell it. I'm friends with the fossil dealer in Utah. It's visiting visiting his shop, and I had two hundred dollars cash in my pickup and I said, Seth, Seth, what's the coolest thing I could get for two hundred dollars? And he pointed to what I have here. This is one I only have like three rocks that I've ever bought. The rest that I've found, and this, in honor of today's show, is a dinosaur tract that he sold me far far far under value. This is worth way more than two hundred dollars. And I protested for a second. I says, Seth, you can't give me that thing for two hundred dollars, and he said, sure I can, And so I didn't argue anymore. I just took that dang track. This is two hundred million years old. It's from a delufhosauruss Delafosaurus. It's found in Connecticut from the Portland Formation. Hmm. This dinosaur was made famous in Jurassic Park, but they depicted them way way wrong.
Speaker 3: A lot of creative liberties. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in Jurassic Park they had them as like a smaller dinosaur that had frills. When it would get angry, it would would pop these frills off on.
Speaker 3: Them spit in acidic venom. That's Dennis Nedri when he wrecked his cheap to Costa Rica.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, he needed that. It did spit venom in the movie. These dinosaurs, Uh, they do not believe spit venom. They don't think there was any dinosaurs that even possessed venom, so that those were a lot of creative liberties.
Speaker 4: The reality is actually it wouldn't be venom though, right.
Speaker 1: It was just like an acidic phlegm, which would be something that reptiles some reptiles these days have right, it's just an acid to digest food.
Speaker 2: But palaeontologists don't. They have no evidence that any of these dinosaurs had any kind of venom or or any sort of biological functions.
Speaker 3: Right, It was just going wild with that.
Speaker 1: But that that's the fun part is we don't have that much evidence sure as to what exactly.
Speaker 2: What they do think they know about these dinosaurs. This is one of the first large meat eating dinosaurs that existed. They stood about six feet tall, twenty feet long, weighed nine hundred pounds, and at the time this was the largest land mammal in North America that made this here track. This is one of my favorite rocks.
Speaker 1: Put your hand next to that thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tiny. Yeah, That's what's funny about Jurassic Park is that he makes the the Delaphosaurus a small, sort of cute dinosaur, and then the velociraptor. They make much larger, way larger than it was. So you know, do your research, kids.
Speaker 2: That's right, It's one of my favorite rocks. I have one of the few rocks that I've purchased. I asked Seth, I says, Seth, you ever sold stuff to us to anyone really famous, like a list celebrity or big politician. And he says, yep, Carl, who are they? He says, I can't tell you. And then I'm like, well, I begged him. I said, will you give me a hint? Can I make some guesses? He goes nope. So if you're looking to if you're a famous personal.
Speaker 4: I mean just between the the movie prop that they you can't say what it's from. Why are these people so secretive about this?
Speaker 3: Just tell us, Yeah, we're in showbiz, we can take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if you're looking if maybe if you were like a star on Parks and Rec and you consume me eater content, you're looking for a fossil for your own home. Seth Sorenson from the Fossil Shack, he could up.
Speaker 1: And from the inside knowledge is that from Spencer's Hollywood Reporter beat is somebody from Parks and Rec.
Speaker 2: And I think there's a few characters from that show. I don't know that they're interested in fossils. They've consumed me theater content in the pasts, So maybe they're listening right now. Maybe they're a male cast member from Parks and Rec, maybe two of them.
Speaker 4: And roughly in the age of Replasa never misses a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe they're interested in having some fossils for their home. The fossil shack. He'll keep your secret. He won't tell me or anyone else that you sold him some big, beautiful fossils.
Speaker 3: Get after it. Roblo joining us.
Speaker 2: On the line. Last is Alex Fogg, the Okaloosa County Natural Resources chief in Florida. He's here to talk about turning a retired ocean liner into the world's largest artificial reef Alex, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey man, how's it going.
Speaker 2: We're doing good. First thing, tell us about the SS United States, which is the ship at the center of this story.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, So it's a big old chip. When I first saw I thought I was looking at the Titanic, and it has that old ocean liner. Look, who's built back in the nineteen fifties, sailed all across the Atlantic, made the fastest crossing from the United States over to England, and then broke its own record com back, still the record that it holds today. While it still doesn't have that fresh code of paint on her anymore, you could certainly see how she was quite magnificent back in her heyday. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's funny you compared it to the Titanic, because this ship is bigger than the Titanic slightly. And I've seen the images comparing the sizes of the SSU United States to the Titanic. Now, how did Akalousa County acquire the ship?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a heck of a process. We found out about it maybe three years ago. I had a contractor that we'd worked with on some other artificial reefs reach out and say, hey, you know, you should look at the ss United States. So I went down the Google rabbit hole started looking at you know what story this had, and there was some conflict between the old owner and the dock that it was at. So there was coming to a point to where the vessel is either going to be sold for scrap or it was gonna have to go to some other purpose. And really the only economical option was to create an artificial reef with this vessel. We've deployed hundreds of artificial reefs, dozens of wrecks, large vessels, not as big as this one, but large ones in the past, and it just it seemed like the right option for us to move forward with negotiating with the previous owner, and then we took ownership back in October, which was a big deal. A small county in Florida owning a thousand foot ocean liner that was in Philadelphia at the time.
Speaker 2: Can can you tell us what you guys paid, Alex.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we bought the ship for a million dollars, which is about the price of scrap if it were to be scrapped. There's about a million dollars worth of steel on board.
Speaker 4: Wow, and then it's a bargain. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How do you like the tug service to get that sucker down there? And then I imagine you got to do it quite a few man hours to make sure you're putting something not all that got awful in the water, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. So this is built in the time when they didn't really have many rules as to what was going into paint, what was being burned for fuel. So there's a lot of that that's still on board, even though a lot of it was gutted when it got burt overseas to Ukraine and Turkey. A lot of the asbesos has gone, but there's still a lot of lead, a lot of PCBs that are in the paint, a lot of fuel oil. All that has to be removed to to ensure that we're not hurting the environment that we're open the benefit.
Speaker 2: Now, I've been surprised to read that. It seems like a lot of the decision making is done at a very local level. In this case, Akalusa County. Would I'd expect there to be involvement from Noah and the US Fish and Wildlife Service and maybe even like the state of Alabama. Could you talk about the red tape involved with a project like this and how much or how little power Okalusa County has.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Fortunately, we planned way ahead and the way artificial reconstruction works is you actually get permits way ahead of time for a certain area to allow you to deploy artificial reefs whenever you want. So we have a permit that's good for ten years. It was actually initially obtained back in the nineties, and you know it's still active today and we can deploy rex tomorrow if we want to. So we've already gone through all the consultation with Army Corps, engineers, Fish and Wildlife, Noah, all those folks, the people that we I guess had the most red tape that we had to cut through just to get out of Philadelphia with the US Coast Guard. So the Coast Guard was very, very nervous about a vessel that hadn't moved in thirty years looking the way that it did. They were worried about its ability to make the toe from Philadelphia all the way down into the Gulf and eventually into Mobile. So it was a hell of a toe. But after a lot of tests and a lot of surveys by all sorts of different people in Philadelphia, it was determined to be okay. There were some water bottles and cups and things that were left sitting on tables when we left Philadelphia. It arrived in Mobile with those cups and bottles still sitting in the same place.
Speaker 3: That we left them.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 5: It was a very stable boat, no issues, didn't take on any water. And now's the processes of getting her all cleaned up, and we'll have to go through similar hurdles when we tow her from Mobile to south of destin Fort Walton Beach to deploy the wreath.
Speaker 2: I've seen some online resistance to this project, and there was a recent headline that said campaigners appealed Trump to save the SS United States. Why are some folks against this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know this, this is one of the last vessels of its time, you know, essentially a handbuilt vessel that carries our nation's A lot of people are very passionate about this vessel. What the people that aren't so negative about this project don't really know, or maybe can't wrap their head around, is how.
Speaker 4: That is fishing.
Speaker 1: They don't know fish.
Speaker 5: There's fishing totally. I mean, there's a there's a ton of money in fishing and diving, and they probably aren't fishermen and divers themselves, but they can't wrap their head around what do would cost to actually restore this I mean we're talking at billion dollars to get this vessel to a point where it actually be used again. Not to mean I don't know where the heck you would put a thousand foot ship for for a long period of time. I mean it's had in Philadelphia for a long time and they essentially got thrown out. So there's just way too many logistics. I understand that there's historical value to it. That's where we're going to try and honor its legacy through a land based museum. So there's a whole bunch of artifacts that have been collected over the years where can actually remove the funnels, the big stacks on the top, and those will be retained for the museum and and allow folks to come and learn about it even after it's gone to the bottom. And if you are on a fisherman or a diver, then you know you can go there.
Speaker 1: How deep are we looking to sink this baby?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a massive ship, so it's going to be out one hundred and eighty feet of water, but the top decks, the whole top deck's gonna be at fifty five to sixty.
Speaker 10: Feet of water.
Speaker 4: Beautiful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, very.
Speaker 5: Accessible to the beginner diver. But then if those technical folks want to go down to the bottom or go penetrate and check out the engine room, that's that's all on them.
Speaker 1: Oh that is cool. Have you thought about later putting oh I love love to dive.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about putting like some mattresses or old couches on the deck to get people's speed jigs and stuff and then you can go down there and collect them.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you, I think the wreck itself is going to be a magnet for all those all those hooks and line and jigs and everything. It's it's amazing how how smart, the fish are and nowhere to go to get you hung up.
Speaker 2: I love it. So there's about a year of prep work before you can sink this. What all happens in that time period.
Speaker 5: So once we got to Mobile, we got to Mobile on what early March, So we've been there about two months now. They've been removing one hundred and twenty tanks worth, so millions of gallons of fuel oil that's still on board. They're removing all the glass, removing all the hazardous paint. All of this has to come off, and for a thousand foot ship, that's a lot of material and a lot of manpowers you implied earlier. So once once she gets cleaned up, we'll have EPA and a bunch of other regulatory agencies on board to come take a look and make sure we did what we said we did, and then we'll get that clearance to go deploy it in one of those permitted areas that I mentioned earlier. So it's exciting times on the horizon, but still a ton of work that needs to be done to try and get this thing down in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the day comes where you're ready to drop this thing to the bottom of the ocean. What is the process actually like of sinking the ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back in the day, they used to use bombs and explosives to blow holes in the side of it and make it go to the bottom really really fast. But they determined that that's not good for dolphin environment, So no, no dramatic explosions. But there'll be holes cut throughout the ship right above the water line to where when it's go time, you can open up through holes inside the ship to allow water to blood controlled. And then once those holes that are cut on the exterior of the vessel sink below the waterline, it'll be gone in forty minutes. It's a very process once you get to that point.
Speaker 2: What kind of sea life is going to like this new artificial reef you.
Speaker 5: Name it everything. So this is it's such a large vessel being placed in a location where there's really no reef material, natural or artificial existing at this time. So it's going to be an oasis. You're gonna have your reef fish species, your snappers, and your groupers. You're also gonna have your pelagic so it's gonna be you know, tunas, wahoo's billfish, other things swimming by I mean, it's such a large vessel, it's going to be a magnet for everything, including humans.
Speaker 3: Alex, It's been a while since I've been in the ship sinking game, so I'm curious you guys ended up with the ship. Were there other localities competing with you for it?
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: Along those same lines, is there like a top ten list of ships like this sitting around the country that folks in your line of work are are eyeballing and waiting for to go on the market, or sort of how does that shopping process look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, start with the first question about other communities. Yeah, there's there were other communities that were certainly looking at this, but they didn't have Their total project cost is right around ten million dollars, so they didn't have ten million dollars to commit to a project like this. We fortunately have leadership in the foresight to be able to obligate those funds and then find partnerships on the back end. So we've been working to find a number of partnerships to alleviate that total cost, including partnering with some neighboring communities that we're also looking at getting this vessil. So it's a win win for everybody. Those partnerships haven't been formalized yet, but I suspect it'll be in the coming month or two. As far as selecting vessels, a lot of it's a case by case basis. You know, Sometimes a vessel catches fire and they can't put it back into operations, so they give us a call and see if we'd be interested in taking it as an artificial reef. Sometimes it's an old vessel that has no other opportunities, you know, like the SS United States. There's really no other options, so we worked with them to keep it from going to the scrapyard and turning it into the world's largest artificial reef. There are some large vessels out there that we're certainly keeping our eye on, but it's not something we're actively pursuing until something hits the fan.
Speaker 3: Fascinating.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about the merch opportunities here? You know, there's so many bolt cliches, like T shirts that say the two best days of boat ownership the day you buy it and the day you sink it.
Speaker 5: Like that. Oh Man knows that's a great point. So there's a lot of examples of where large vessels have been deployed and they are visited by people from around the world. The amount of merchandise that pops up is incredible in the age of social media and digital media and podcasts like this, it's it's it's amazing how many people have learned about this, And I suspect that the returns in the form of merchandise and visitation all that stuff is going to be significantly more than anything that's ever been done before. So we're really looking to see look at We're really excited to see what pops up from this, But we're in the we're not in the business of merchandise. So I think that's probably going to come down to the dive shops and the fishing shops and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: How quickly will fish start using this new reef.
Speaker 5: Yep, they'll be fish there probably the day after it's been deployed. There'll be a bunch of bake fish. Now they aren't going to be established, they're not going to be sit there reproducing and eating and all that stuff. They're more just there because there's some new thing that's on the bottom. It'll take a year or two before it's a functioning system, but there will be things to see immediately after it goes to the bottom.
Speaker 2: And how do you envision sportsmen using it?
Speaker 5: Oh man, the amount of early on when you know there maybe aren't enough fish there to really sustain a fisherman, or you make for a good day of fishing. It's going to be heavily dived. But once it's become that established system, there's gonna be fishing people fishing it every single day, and then there's going to be people spearfishing on it every single day. So it's going to be hammered by the sports fishermen. But the good news is there's a lot of other fishing sites and diving sites all around this vessel, so if there's a bunch of people there, they can go to one of those other sites and wait their turn.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for joining us, Alex. Congrats on the record breaking reef and good luck with the project.
Speaker 5: Yep, thank you. You guys have a good one.
Speaker 3: Thanks you too.
Speaker 2: Cal's going to be there in a few years.
Speaker 9: Oh, I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You look at the map that Okaloosa County has of all the artificial reefs they created. It's like reefs on top of reefs. At this point, I think they got to figure it out over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alabama's kind of an overlooked Gulf state.
Speaker 4: Too cool. All right.
Speaker 2: That brings us to the end of this week's show, Philllet's get some final feedback from the chat.
Speaker 4: Brent would just like to set the record straight that he did the Turkey reveal thing first, so that's it's fine he when he does it. Spencer, your holy grail for rock hounding, I.
Speaker 2: Would say it's a rock that probably doesn't even exist. I would want a rock that has multiple bits of history. So if I got to pick one rock to find, it would be a meteorite that hit Earth, and then that meteorite was eaten by a dinosaur because dinosaurs had gizzards just like birds. So people will find or claim to find. It's not always confirmed. A rock that was a dinosaur gizzard stone and they're very smooth and round. That's it's a gastrolith.
Speaker 1: The gasterlith is on the ground, gasterlight is in the bird.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, I think lift would be stone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I when I hear it referred to as the fossil version, it's a gastrolith. Okay, So I'd want a meteorite that hit her that was then eaten by a dinosaur and was used as a gizzardstone, become a gastrolith, and then maybe some ancient human picked it up and used it as a pestile with a pestil and mortar. That's that's my holy grail. I want. It's it's a it's a small ask something that came from outer space that was in a dinosaur's gizzard that then some ancient human used to crush acorns.
Speaker 1: Two weeks ago, I basically stayed at the site of the Jones diamond. Are you familiar with that one? No, it's the largest specific kind of diamond that's blank and on here right now. It was found in West Virginia and a creek. But it's like a giant mystery stone. You would love this because the formation it comes out of is in Brazil, and so there's a theory that it was traded over and over and over and over and over again and eventually got dropped in this creek in West Virginia.
Speaker 3: That's the largest alluvial diamond alluvial never discovered in North America.
Speaker 2: That's that's got all the ingredients of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: This kind of brings us full circle because diamonds are and the search for them, particularly in alluvial floodplains, is a key plot element of the film and book Congo. Yes exactly wowl diamonds though, because they want to use those in some sort of primitive laser processor in the book. Yeah, in the movie it's a laser weapon. But yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: When we were talking about the legislation in DC, Max brought up the fact that Cal and Mark both dropped a podcast today about their recent trip to d C. Cal, I don't know if you want to just talk briefly about what you did over there and what kind of shows you'll be dropping for in the Calm the Wild Feed next week. Oh boy, Phil and I were just crying over the news cycle moving way too fast for our pace here. Yeah, we did some lobbying on the hill in Washington, d C. We attended the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership Capital Conservation Awards and basically just rubbed elbows with some newly appointed Trump appointees in different offices like National Resource Conservation Service and some folks in the Egg Department, and then tried to hit as many Senate and House offices as possible to ask them to join the brand spicketty New Released Public Lands Caucus led by Gave Vasquez out of New Mexico and Ryan Zinki out of Montana. I saw Congressman Mike Simpson was in the lineup with that too, But we need more of that, and that's what we're really encouraging people to do. We were also talked about mineral withdrawal and the boundary waters. We talked about.
Speaker 1: Active land management and not selling off our public land, especially doing it in a way that avoids all the things that the public has come to trust, which is knowing what we're giving up for what we're getting quite simply.
Speaker 2: So fill what else yet?
Speaker 4: Let's see here? Oh yeah, you're playing trivia at the BHA rendezvoute for Rendezvous, correct, Spencer.
Speaker 2: I won't be there, but Randall, Randall will be. Randall is going to be leading trivia at the BHA Rendezvous for the second year in a.
Speaker 3: Row, Saturday night. I believe it starts at eight pm June June teens, the mid teens. Whatever the Saturday is, yeah, I think it's the Tuesdays is seventeenth, so going backwards since you carry the three.
Speaker 2: Yeah while you're there.
Speaker 1: So it's the weekend of the thirteenth, So it's Friday the thirteenth, Saturday the fourteenth, and then we're going to have a big public Lands rally on the fifteenth there in Missoula, which is also Father's Day.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll make up a plan here soon. I think it'd be fun to get some audience participation in that game, but I haven't yet sat down to think through the logistics. But rest is sure, Leland. We will be playing trivia and it will be a wonderful time. Yeah, in support of a good organization.
Speaker 2: If you see Randall there, go ask him about the drunkest he's ever been in his life and he'll have a good story to share with you.
Speaker 3: Nope, he'll go there.
Speaker 1: Okay, won't go there.
Speaker 2: He won't share that story with you, So ask him anyway.
Speaker 4: Jacob's going on a four day paddle trip in the Midwest. It's kind of a big area, Jacob, but he's asking for recommendations on scenic rivers with decent fishing. There's a lot of four day of.
Speaker 3: Paddles, but four days if you're straying together. Four days like camping along the way, You're probably limited.
Speaker 2: Go to the Boundary Waters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go to the Boundary Waters.
Speaker 2: You could paddle for months up there. It's plenty scenic and some of the finest fishing in North America.
Speaker 1: Any other recommendation, it's gonna be totally different when there's an open pit copper sulfide.
Speaker 3: Mind, I've only done I've only done one one night, two day trips on the Little Miami River, and I don't think it's sort of attracting visitation for out of states. So maybe look elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Randy will tell you where not to go. What else you got, Phil.
Speaker 4: Kevin says, mean, it's a really great fossil. Really happy for you, But what the people really need to know is what shoe you're wearing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got just some Nike tennis shoes on.
Speaker 1: Kevin answer, I mean, a man of the people, I'll do my own.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of silly questions, but I feel like I've done a lot of silly questions.
Speaker 2: Let's get a couple more.
Speaker 3: I'll get my own audience call out. I saw questions right after we finished our discussion of the gorilla battle, and someone pointed out that they don't believe that that many humans would be killed, just very badly injured. And I actually I'd like to go back on my statement about thirty to forty being killed. That is, unless the gorilla had time to go around and sort of finish off his victims. I think it would just be a lot of maimings. So whoever that was pointwell taken, he'll.
Speaker 2: Put him in a coma. Yeah, they can make him on bed rest, yep, anything else.
Speaker 4: Phil Marty says inquiring minds wants to know who's in charge of bumping into the giant foothold trap behind Spencer every week.
Speaker 3: I'll address this. Yah, I've got a follow up for you, and it's not you know. The thing is is, it's not the person who's actually bumping into the trap who's responsible. It's the person who sits in Spencer's seat.
Speaker 4: You see.
Speaker 3: I think in the event of a fire, everybody on this side of the table would be dead because there's not a lot of clearance between the tripods and that host seat, and so if someone is sitting in that seat and not paying attention to those around them, they oftentimes will force those of us with larger bodies to sort of push up against the wall, which wasn't as hazardous until that foothold trap was in place. So it's not the it's not the guy bumping the trap. It's the guy he's trying to avoid.
Speaker 4: And I will say, for being such a respected hunter and personality in the industry, Stephen Ranella has very little awareness of what's happening around him. So I'll walk, He'll be in the chair leaning back. He's just fine, that's his right. But then I come up next to kind of I don't he's usually on the phone, you're sending an email. I'll kind of try to squeeze through, and then I'll finally just have to say, excuse me, Steve, excuse me, hind you, Yeah, and then he'll move about an inch and then I'll still bump work trap, which works for some.
Speaker 3: Folks in this office.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you have to make him acknowledge you to get behind his chair. And Marty and everyone else listening to this, if you really want to help out phil If if you're a Philistine, what are your what are your fans called?
Speaker 4: Oh well, there's a question about that. Apparently people don't like philistine because they think I'm being it's rude, but I'm I'm erasing it, let's call it.
Speaker 3: And my favorite one that I've seen is the cal Mudgeons.
Speaker 4: Someone came up with calamanders in this show.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. If you're a philistine, the thing that you can do, uh, to really prove that you're philistine is write an email to the meat eater at the medeater dot com and say, hey, I think you guys need a bigger studio because we have multiple walls here we could knock out and we can make a bigger space for you. And boy, if you think we're podcasting at a high level, now just wait until this room has like an extra We're going to be over the place, sixty square feet of We're not going to bump any more anymore tramps.
Speaker 1: Quiet air circulation wouldn't be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, phil phil would be So write an email to the meat eater at the medeater dot com and say, hey, I think you guys need to make your podcast studio a little bigger.
Speaker 4: Spencer said it.
Speaker 2: I didn't, Yeah, I did, say, all right, next week's show, We've got a very exciting media to radio Live. It's dedicated to Man's Best Friend. Because it is dog Week here at Meat Eater, we got special guests joining us and a Meat Eater Movie Club Randa, what are you gonna be reviewing?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm pleased to announce that the Meat Eater Movie Club is returning by popular demand, and next week, in keeping with the theme of Dog Week, we're gonna be reviewing Where the Red Fern Grows. Perfect for dog there aren't that many good like I was I was, I was gonna go with Balto. No, if I have to watch air Bud, I'm instead watch Dunstan checks In because it's the same thing. But within Orangton, we didn't have White Fang. I thought about White Fang, but then you did the old one or the or the remake?
Speaker 2: What was the Stephen King movie with? Yeah, that one. There you go.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go with Where the Red Fern Grows. It's available on two b Ku, Fandango, at home Plex, Peacock, Amazon Prime, YouTube, YouTube TV, and then you can rent it on Google Play Movies and Apple TV. But don't rent it, just find free. There also seems to be just like some bootleg version of it on YouTube, so I don't endorse as we know, I don't endorse the infringement of intellectual property. But check it out on YouTube before you go rent.
Speaker 2: What movie did you tell me you were considering doing but it didn't really do it for you, didn't really get you revved up? Old yeller, Old yeller, Yeah, Dad doesn't do it for Randall.
Speaker 3: So I mean that's the thing. There's just like sad movies. Homeward bound. Maybe maybe I'll just show up next week and I'll talk about Homeward Bound instead to myself.
Speaker 2: One more important detail for next week, we want a hot tip off showdown dedicated to dogs. So send your hot tip to radio at the Mediator dot com with the subject line hot dog Tips. We'll have a great prize for the winner. That's the end of this week's show. We'll see you guys back here next week for Dog Week.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thanks everybody.