Speaker 1: Native Lamdpard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reasoned Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home to the Native landing on the podcast based that's it for greatness sixteen minutes.
Speaker 1: It's so hit, not too.
Speaker 3: Long for the great shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested across the t's and doctor i's, get them back to get them staying on business with Rie.
Speaker 1: You could have been.
Speaker 3: Anywhere but to truse Us Native Land Podcast, the brand that you can trust us.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all. This is episode twenty one, y'all. We are legal legal Well yes you're the middle of eighteen, but we legal legal twenty one of Native Lampard, where we give it to you directly straight as my good friend Jiffy says, no chaser, You're gonna get it here on politics, culture and everything we think it's important to talk about. We are your host, Tiffany Cross, angela Ryan Andrew Gillen. What's up, y'all? Hey?
Speaker 4: That is Welcome Homelcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Welcome I'm drinking too.
Speaker 4: We're twenty one today.
Speaker 1: We are I got mine.
Speaker 4: Shout out.
Speaker 1: Shout out to r J for the red mug.
Speaker 5: Can we take a shot, take a shout for twenty one. This is Lavender pay for advertising it on Showdown.
Speaker 4: But it's a woman owned business. It's small.
Speaker 1: Well mine is just some pineapple soda. And I'm not gonna name shock he was from but I found it in my hood wild Tonic. But listen, y'all, we we we had our first live show.
Speaker 4: It was so much so it was so good.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, y'all, the jury is out as of time of recording. The jury has been uh admonished by the judge. To get to the deliberating, We're also going to go inside the Democratic Party establishment. We're going to talk about panic setting in spreading throughout many high level Democratic officials who are, to put it lightly, a little bit nervous about November. We're going to talk about what these poll numbers mean at this point. Then we'll jump into the Middle East and talk about what's happening in Gaza. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netnya, who has vowed to continue the Israeli assault on the city of Rafa, despite despite repeated admonishments from countries stretching worldwide, and also despite horrific bombing of citizens designated safe zones and increasing condemnation, as we said, from the global community. We'll hear what the administration has to say about that, and we want to talk to you directly, our audience about a question, comment, observation that's been coming our way in our chats and conversations and just the general mood of what we've been feeling, and that is, how do you decide who to vote for when both presidential candidates I don't know kindes seem or maybe a better and fair way to put that is, maybe you've decided that your life won't be changed by either way of the outcome. And we want to talk to you about how we talk to each other, our family, our friends and loved ones around this upcoming presidential race. We'll give our best input thoughts and you hear us think out loud around how it is we're approaching this upcoming November election. Stay tuned is going to be a great show, everybody, So, y'all, we want to begin today's conversation with a quick update on what's happening in the Trump trials, And I almost Tiffany and Angela hesitate to say trials because we've only seen one, and I'm actually not convinced we're going to see many more. There won't be another one before election day. Many of us have been tuned into the coverage and the chiron reading by various hosts on television or or in various newspapers, and we've reached a culmination point. In fact, Tiffany in angel I was telling someone before the show began, how I don't know tense. I felt not just sort of I've been on the side of of sort of jury, being out, you know, thinking about my own fate, but this seems to me to be so much more consequential, this jury, what it may come back with. I don't want to have us, you know, percolate necessarily on what do we think the jury will decide. But my question for the two of you, and really for our audiences, have we really given thought to what happens politically as a political outflow from any decision made this jury? And I think what we mean by any is in the range of possibilities there can be an acquittal outright Obviously, there can be a hung jury, and there can be convictions at various levels of the charges that have been bought against Donald Trump. Now I got I can imagine that if you're Trump, You're gonna spewer this, you know, skewer the system, no matter what the outcome. I don't know how Biden plans to respond, and I'm not as concerned about that. I'm mostly concerned around whether or not you think there will be a lasting consequence of the verdict as we think about this race in November. If Trump's let off, if he has a conviction, do y'all think it matters toward November?
Speaker 5: Okay, Tiff is looking because she doesn't like to talk abound. I was letting you speak first because my answer is on something else.
Speaker 4: I want rather y'all weigh in, and then I'll weigh in. Okay.
Speaker 5: So you know, I think this is really fascinating to me. One because there are so many indictments at play here. This is a thirty four if you remember, Alvin Bragg wrote out thirty four indictments against the former president last April, and this is now what the jury has to consider. The thing that's been frustrating for me in some ways is I'm someone who I'm not an auditory learner. I am an igates and an igates kind of learner. So I wanted to see this trial, which we couldn't really see. I think the other thing that I'll say is I was telling you all earlier on our pre pro call that I really think that the prosecution did an interesting thing before the jury went out for deliberations and re enacting the call between Michael Cohen, then Donald Trump's security guard, and Donald Trump himself to demonstrate how long a minute in thirty six seconds is right.
Speaker 4: I don't know if.
Speaker 5: That creativity gets them where they need to be in this thirty four.
Speaker 4: These thirty four counts. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I haven't paid close enough attention to the trial. But here's what I do know. I do know that Donald Trump has a rabbit base. I do know that there are folks who want to believe that he is someone who is taking on the justice system, and the system is out to get him, especially because he's painted this lie so well, and his folks believe that. You know, they had to stop the still, even if it meant wiping shit on Nancy Pelosi's desk, pardon my French, but that is indeed what happened. And so I think that the only thing that can happen from this trial is that his base grows increasingly more rabbit. I think that if he is found not guilty, they're gonna think that he's the people's champ and Rocky on the steps in Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: If he's found guilty, they're gonna, you know, be rabbit again about why this system took him on and why it's so patently unfair, you know. And then the last thing that I'll say is I think it's very interesting too that one of the arguments from the defense has been, Hey, this is someone who wasn't trying to sway an election or what the voters knew. He was merely doing this to keep it from his family, right, And if we take Donald Trump out of the equation, that's actually a very compelling argument. I don't ever want to give his team credit for much, but I think out of all the lawyers he's been through, he'dn't been through he ran through some lawyers.
Speaker 4: That was a compelling piece for me. And so we'll see.
Speaker 1: He's seen with his family or wife. I mean.
Speaker 4: Listen, these people don't care.
Speaker 5: They think Malayna fly and you know, he got kids from all his baby mamas and he's trying to keep it from all them because they don't want them to be more upset. Who knows, But I'm just telling you, when you love somebody and when you're a fan of someone and you are like I said, read, you don't figure it out. And so that's the real question. What about the rest of the folks on the fringe? Can they also write it off? Will they also write it up? Or were the facts? Will the facts sway them in this case?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I think that's because Malanya has been so absent. I mean, you saw tweetledd and tweedled dumb show up. You know, with their their like we are the most loyal to their father.
Speaker 4: Who are they? I don't think timpany.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was Laura Trump, Don Junior and Eric That's who I saw.
Speaker 4: If you saw something different, maybe saw something different. But who which one was tweetledd and which one tweet.
Speaker 5: Tweetled d is Don tweetled Dom and Eric Trump? Everybody knows that, Okay.
Speaker 1: I used to say, and I'm not advocating violence. But I used to say they were so punishable. They used to what I was. I was like, man, these guys are so punishable.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't when it's a universal belief. But anyway, this is this is my my bigger point, because I have not been caught up in the minutia of the trial either. I kind of, you know, one of for when it comes to things Donald Trump, because I always say it's like catching confetti trying to keep up with it. I am more of a headline reader just to give and you know, like, oh, okay, I see what's happening from a macro perspective, not a micro perspective. I think the bigger challenge here with me is as Donald Trump has been on this trial, his base has not gotten smaller. There were not people to walk away from them, as completely predicted. Nimroda has now said she will vote for Donald Trump. If you were surprised by any of this, you have not been paying attention.
Speaker 4: I think it is a continuation.
Speaker 5: Of the erosion in the judicial system. No matter what side of the divide you occupy, we have lost faith in the judiciary. It's not lost on me that this is happening at the same time as the news come out has come out around Samuel Alito, just as Samuel Alito and his wife apparently looked at Genny Thomas and say, hold my beer, let me get into this. And it just it makes me look at no matter what happens, whatever this outcome is with this trial, the it's like the belief and our functions are are the cornerstones of our democracy are eroding over time. This is the first time something like this has happened. I'll remember, you know. I try to say, like here's something that was happening thirty years ago or one hundred years ago, to show that history is cyclical. Nothing's new under the sun. So the same thing did happen with Richard Nixon. You know, when his trial was out, it was one thing that was being televised. And now it just seems to me, Angela Andrew, that we have normalized this maniac and his myriad of trials and tribulations that he has brought to the American people and it hasn't had any impact, Like it just has done nothing to his pulling nothing. And you know, I've said this to you guys privately, but I'll say it publicly because I feel like there are so many other people who may feel this way. I'm getting increasingly exhausted, and it is personally outrageous that so many people out there would rather have a dumb white person run this country instead of a smart black person because racism runs that deep. And two that there are over seventy five million people who are willing to overlook everything disgusting about this man because they have been brainwashed.
Speaker 4: So I don't know what's going to happen in this trial washed well.
Speaker 1: Brainwashed or no, no, no, Tiffany, I was just gonna, you know, put push you on that which is brainwashed. Or have they decided from day zero that the uniting factor between all of them has to do with their their need, their desire, their desperation to hold onto power. When you make this, when you make the deal with the devil, right, you take all the bad that comes with it because what made you bedfellows will put you in this together. Is this common, unassailable mission to in this case, in my opinion, keep hold on to at any cost power in the wake of a changing demographic, a changing American electorate.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's it's not all white people, you know, Like when we were in Miami, I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Guys, power doesn't There was a lot of.
Speaker 5: At the airport. There were so many Maga hats, Maga T shirts. And I remember in Washington, d C. This was maybe four years ago, and somebody was walking down U Street, which is a historically black neighborhood, with a Maga hat and a Maga T shirt on, and I legit was concerned for this man's wellbeing. Some I'm like, you got some balls to walk around and people were definitely looking but kind of you know, skipping past him. He wasn't comfortable.
Speaker 4: Not so in Florida like there, I also there are a lot of hell.
Speaker 5: Uc k Mega teacher. I would have been uncomfortable. I would have warned it, but I would have been uncomfortable. I would have been in the minority in Florida. And these are Latino people who are overwhelmingly in Miami. I saw Latino people, So to me, it is brainwashed if you are willing to vote for someone who is openly saying things about your community and you personally. I mean, he gave Lindsay Graham your cell phone number to everybody, and Lindsey Graham said, but I love you. He dragged Nicky Haley across all kinds of stages. He said, but I'm voting for you, So I to me, that's brainwashed.
Speaker 1: You got the last time, Angela, you got the last comment on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think to this point, we're starting to see some changes even in something called the polls this early. So on that point, I think it's a great point moment to switch gears and see what's happening with these battlegrounds or why democrats? Is democrats talking about the party and the changing the demographics?
Speaker 4: You say democrats?
Speaker 6: I was with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tip for that. Save way to go Democrats.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you this, I don't think Democrats were included in these polls.
Speaker 4: Talk to us about it, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Asa, thank you for that as always keeping us on track. So your latest polling, some of y'all have may may be seeing articles and your local papers, those of us who national papers, but it's everywhere, y'all. Folks are getting nervous, and obviously I think it's a function of the fact that hell, we're now past Memorial Day and we're closer to the election day. But from the Hill seven hundred and twelve polls Trump across battleground states, leading Biden forty six and a half to Biden's forty five and a half. Biden's overall approval rating this month tied for the lowest rating and the history of his presidency. Y'all, Biden's approval rate is forty point seven percent around this time and his campaign and presidential term in May of twenty twelve, Obama's approval rating set it around forty seven percent. So the polling that we just referenced are obviously of some of the key battleground states and some of the national polls of registered voters, and in some cases actually in fewer cases if you look at the cross tabs, less likely voters, which I think is interesting and we can talk about it obviously on the other side of this piece, But there is a difference between registered and likely. There is also interesting I don't know if y'all found this interesting or not from the political article Politico I'm sorry article that many of the top Democrats who gave comments on this, who reflected on what some of their personal experiences are with donors and other sort of experts in the field, is that they didn't want to be named. They don't want to be associated publicly with some of the trepidations that are happening, that are happening behind the scenes. Now, I'm not dumb enough to think that we have the monopoly on the right answer, but I am curious to hear y'all's perspective on at this stage in the game, and I reference Obama's previous numbers just by way of comparison. Do we have something to be ringing the alarm bell about? And if so, is there anything Biden can say, do or calls to come into formation that will change where people, frankly are right now as it relates to humans administrative.
Speaker 5: I gotta say, every single time I hear a conversation about polls, every time I see one on outlets, every time I see an article, I immediately go me me, me, me, me, me, me me, because it just it's such an intant, it's boring enough to make me sleep.
Speaker 1: I just saw Snoopy for some reason show.
Speaker 5: It's such an inside the bell Way conversation, and the Beltway media is so incestuous that they every outlet you called the Hill political, all of these people they talk to each other for each other, about each other, And I think if we want to disrupt that that we have to stop putting so much emphasis there.
Speaker 4: Number one a week is an eternity.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's wrong? Do you think it's not? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't.
Speaker 5: I think campaigns can pour over polls. I don't understand the point in forcing it down the throats of voters and the American people. But again, this is how the Beltway media has penetrated this and in so many ways. I think, what does it matter to a person living in Pennsylvania who is you know, they feel a certain way, they have their issues that they're voting on. What does it matter to them?
Speaker 4: At this point?
Speaker 5: We have a nominee, we have a Democratic nominee, we have a Republican nominee. What does it matter how they're doing in the polls? To me, that's something for campaigns to worry about.
Speaker 1: Well, how can I just.
Speaker 5: Because I have I have a point I want to make. Go ahead, ask me the question because I want to make sure well.
Speaker 1: I My question is whether you agree with polling, don't agree with pole and put put sauce in it, don't At some point we got to have indications around whether or not this administration is moving on the right track, the wrong track, what we're facing, so on and so forth. So I'm curious to you, regardless of the instrument, do you believe that this calls for alarm?
Speaker 5: I mean, okay, So again, I would go back to the original point I was making. I think campaigns have to worry about that. I don't think that the American people have to consume that. I think that's something for consultants and the politicians themselves to worry about. I think for voters, what's more interesting and what's more to the point is this is where this candidate stands on this issue, and this is what this candidate is doing about this issue, and this is what's happening around these issues that impact us all. Number One, like I said, a week is an eternity in politics. So when you what happens is they just put out ooh Biden is doing bad in the polls, or ooh, Biden is up two points, or ooh Trump is up two points with this group, and no, like most people just do not have the curiosity about it enough to say, well, when was this poll taken? Who did they pull what's the margin of error? How did they pull Was this an online poll? Was this a poll where they were calling people's cell phones? Well, what kind of person's answering a cell phone number that they don't recognize? What were the questions asked? What was happening in the news cycle when this thing happened? It does nothing to inform people. It does nothing. The further the conversation, it is the same to me, echo chamber bs that we see all the time. And I just I don't think we should be talking about polling all the time. I mean, I know, I understand it's something that happened.
Speaker 1: I mean I haven't talked to no.
Speaker 5: Polling Okay, Well, the point I'm making is about media at large. It just doesn't inform people. So those are my thoughts on polling.
Speaker 1: So Angel, I'd be curious. I don't know if so if we move the conversation from one of the instruments of polling and rather one of what we are either lived experience experiencing from the people we're talking to in contact with. Is it a admission? Is it appropriate to say there ought to be alarm bills going off around the country everywhere? That not a Biden's campaign is in a terrible place, but that the democracy we think we might inherit post November might be radically different because of what the outcome of the election may be. If if, if, if, I'll admit not bury the lead. I'm worried. But if we are, if this is not cause for concern, tell us why we shouldn't be concerned around where Biden stands right now with the American electorate.
Speaker 4: Well, I think there's I think two things can be true.
Speaker 5: I think the first thing that I will acknowledge on on Tip's part, and that I will probably take a step further Again, y'all know I was raised activists, so I come here with full conspiracy theories than.
Speaker 4: Proud of it.
Speaker 5: I believe that polling has more to do with sounding alarms to get the typical white consultants on both sides of the aisle and everybody in between, more contracts like this is why you need to spend more dollars with us so we can send out more mailers. This is why you need to spend more money on these advis because look at your numbers. This is why you need to go after these Nikki Haley voters that are never coming to you because they are more valuable than everybody else.
Speaker 4: Like, I think it has more to do with sounding that alarm.
Speaker 5: That said, I do think that the information is worth dissecting, in part because I think that.
Speaker 4: If we're honest the.
Speaker 5: To Tip's point again, the news cycle does dictate how we feel about a candidate on the local, state, or federal level at any given moment. I really disagree with what this person did this week, and so therefore I don't really know how I feel about them. I'm not fooling with them. You might say that I have never been polled. I don't know if y'all been polled. I have never in my life been polled. So I also feel like, is my other conspiracy theory that sometimes these people be making this stuff up. I don't even know if they're really talking to human beings. I'm not talking about Terrence or Cornell, but I ain't talking about some of these other ones. I just don't know if they really actually end up talking to people. And you know, I didn't lost my other point. Oh, the last way Andrew was should no matter whether we're considering polls or not, there is there a reason for alarm right now. Absolutely, and I know we're gonna talk about it more in this show. Particularly given what's happening in Gaza, particularly given what's happening with aid to foreign aid to Ukraine and to end to Israel, and what is happening here, there is reason to feel alarm. I feel alarmed personally because I'm, as you guys know, like we have been pushing for this pardon for Marilyn Moseby, and I'm irritated that we haven't even heard really anything concrete from this administration.
Speaker 4: We have the right to push the administration on.
Speaker 5: Causes that we care deeply about, and when you're not responsive to those causes, yes, it pisss me off.
Speaker 4: Yes I'm frustrated. And so there, I don't want.
Speaker 5: To collapse these really large scale, macro level issues into something small. But that small thing is very meaningful to us in a major way. And so yes, there's a reason there's reason for alarm in in gazillion ways. But yes, I know h and I have a question about that later in the show, Angela, So audience stay tuned, because before we get off air, I want you to explain why a pardon is still needed for Marylyn even though she's not serving in a jail time. A lot of people have asked me about that, and I have questions about it too. But getting back to the subject of Poland, I do think that is like an interesting transition to talk about Gaza, because again, while it does not inform voters well, I think that this administration would be idiotic to not consider how their myopics thont stance on Israel has not had a direct impact on how on the enthusiasm levels of how people feel about voting this November, which is frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so polls be damned.
Speaker 5: I think you should, because I know people going to be mad at me for what I said, But I'm not trying to say polls on I don't like to name the podcast polls by.
Speaker 1: I think and and of all people who should should have issue with polling. I've been on both sides of those things, and I've seen where they come from. But I will say this, if where people stand and how they feel about a particular issue was derived from what they see on the news, then everybody's hair would be on fire about the Trump trials right now, except that it is hardly registering as it relates to the impact on where he stands with the American I think that's an interesting paradox. I also think it's interesting that, in my opinion, the how do you say, the polling around where the American people prioritize what's happening internationally ranks far lower than almost any other issue on the planet. Israel, guys, that comes up only relationship to where American resources should be being spent, otherwise not in overwhelming outrage about what's happening on the ground. And yes, we're going to go to that topic. But I just the reason why. I think I'll offer my take here that the polling does matter in the context of what happens, not just toward the election's outcome, but also towards what steps the administration takes. How hard they go in the paint, for instance, on one side of this conflict. For another, whether or not they talk about wick in a public statement, or rather they put it in a byline of a press release, is in my opinion, in my experience, having run and also served, it is largely driven by the fact that if people aren't talking about it, don't appear concerned about it, And most inputs that give a politician their cues on that is from polling, is because they have learned from the American people that is not important, and therefore they don't talk about it. I have found with almost nearly every politician I've ever worked with, many of them don't necessarily drive new cycles with courageous positions on things. They drive new cycles in reaction to what they think people want to hear or what they think people are most interested in seeing them do. And so I don't want, at least from my perspective, I don't want anyone to think that these things are insignificant, don't matter, only matter with a consultant class. They matter for all of us because they almost always dictate the actions of the peopleeople who are in power, who are making decisions, who are passing laws, who are proposing laws. It has a direct impact on whether or not they do something or they don't do something that's not buying large everybody.
Speaker 7: But I.
Speaker 1: Would not look to the political class to be the courageous class. They are almost always the followers of what people on the ground are already doing and are already moving about.
Speaker 5: I can't say, Andrew, I feel like you're agreeing with my point, like it matters to the politician, not the voter.
Speaker 4: Like if you're the I think.
Speaker 1: It matters to the voters. I think it matters to the voters because it dictates the actions of the politician.
Speaker 4: I agree, this is I agree, but I'm yes, so you're right.
Speaker 5: It matters to the voters in terms of like, yes, voters should be polled and that info should be shared with politicians. All those things matter. But to lead a newscast or to like make this the headline of like, oh, everybody, here's what the polls say, I would go back to Endela's point. I think that is about consultants, and especially when most times you're not even explaining, like some people don't even know, like this polling outlet is heavily conservative, they skew to the right.
Speaker 4: Or the way questions are even framed.
Speaker 5: The question could be like if you can say, well, how do you feel about the Biden administration's handling of Gaza, that's one thing.
Speaker 4: Or the question could.
Speaker 5: Be how angry are you about buy on a scale of one to ten, how angry are you about that? That has a completely different sentiment to it when the question is asked. Also, as a politician, you know how focus groups are. When you have a focus group room full of white people, send a white questioner in there to ask them how they feel about something when it's somebody different, so you get different responses, and the same thing happens on the babe. I know, I can tell when I'm talking to somebody who looks like me and when they don't, and it's a different response. So I think you don't want to say it, but I think you are agreeing with me on some level.
Speaker 1: I would say it if I'm simply saying the reason why it can't be thrown in the trash is because of the power that these instruments are dictating. Well, whichever waylaid.
Speaker 4: I like this and I'm not even in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reason why that can't that, the reason why that cannot happen, and I hope people don't allow it to happen, is because of the effect that it ultimately ultimately has on the body politic and on who gets seen, who gets heard, and who gets the benefit of the actions of politicians because of how they've shown up in these numbers.
Speaker 5: So we don't even get poll We go hard and we don't even get poll y'all never been precisely and you're saying, Andrew, the way that polls are presented and covered. Now you think the status quo is fine, like the way this works it works.
Speaker 1: Hell no. But my but my issue isn't on the coverage. The coverage of it, My my, my, My issue with it is if we sumarily dismiss it as being unimportant and only important to a certain class of person, then we suspend with what is the most I think impactful part of this, which is it dictates then actions that people in powered see.
Speaker 4: There's a balance, there's a balance that if we don't ever get pulled.
Speaker 1: Then guess who's impacting the decisions that then get made. We had a problem with the way in which posts this so too talked about. Wig. We had an issue on the show you went through and talk to one of your friends from Capitol Hill to find out where to find a particular piece of an important element of the budget. To the audience, to some of the people who listen to to the show, that that was because, in my opinion, they are not going to put out press releases. They're not going to put out major statements on pieces that they don't want to get a lot of attention, Tiffany, you say this all the time. They whisper what they're going to do to us, and then they shot from a microphone what they're going to do for others. And I would say the reason why that happens is because they've been given indicators through instruments like polls that say people aren't interested in that they're interested in.
Speaker 4: Can we do.
Speaker 5: I would I would like to have I would like to have a native land pod pole. If you're listening, yes, and let us know. I'm trying to tip PSA. So we need a document to go with it. Don't you think like I want to put out a real poll where people like Lolo Loves do Google docs.
Speaker 4: Okay, go do your BSA, but I want like a fur pole. But let's let let.
Speaker 1: Why think it would take this much time? I really did it, y'all.
Speaker 5: It's your fault, Andrew. Anyway, here we go, So everyone, if you're listening, please tune in. We would like to hear from you, not just with video questions. But this time there's gonna be another survey. It's not nick survey.
Speaker 4: This time we're gonna have.
Speaker 5: Lo Loo create a Google doc I don't know what's going to be on it, but we want to pull you because you know what, you never get pulled here. You will not be invisible, man Ralph Ellison. Here you are seen.
Speaker 4: Welcome HOMEO everyone, will you.
Speaker 1: Take it away? I love that. On to a much more serious node, and that is May twenty fourth, the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to military operations in Rafa and keep the area open as a safe zone. Despite disorder, Israel military launched attacks on a refugee encampment in Rafa, killing nearly forty five people and injuring dozens more. On Tuesday, May twenty eighth, Israel launched another attack in al mawassee another safe zone, killing twenty one people. As of May twenty first, thirty five five hundred and sixty two Palestinians and fourteen hundred seventy eight Israelis have been killed in the war. But sometimes words don't do the significant horror of what's happening there justice. So let's take a look at some of the reporting from the ground.
Speaker 5: Well, the clip that we just saw was after the IDEF struck an encampment in northwest Rafa, and what you saw visually is people covering bodies, bodies, burning people in like desperate, please for help, trying to administer aid, and yet another air quotes mistake that the government of Israel has called it, and they've made a lot of quote unquote mistakes. I have to say that I think we're looking at close to forty thousand civilians killed at this point, although people on the ground will tell you that number is significantly higher because there are bodies still, according to some reporting, buried beneath rubble in bodies and people who are to this day unaccounted for.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, Tiffany. On May twenty first, President Biden made these remarks.
Speaker 6: We reject the ICC's application for rest warrants against as well as leader. Whatever these warrants may imply, there's no equivalence between Israel and Hamas. It's clear there once to all do all it can to ensure civilian protection. But let me be clear, contrary to allegations against Israel made by the International Court of Justice, what's happening is not genocide. We reject that, and we'll always stand with Israel and the threats against his security.
Speaker 5: So those are the marks of President Biden that pre dates what we just played the clip we just played of the attack in northwest Rafa. However, I think it's important to note that those re marks were still after many similar events where the IDF had struck civilian camps and killed numerous civilian people in Gaza. So next we're going to hear from John Kirby. John Kirby is the spokesperson press person for the Department of State, and this is a sound from John Kirby.
Speaker 4: How does this not violate the red line put the President laid out.
Speaker 1: As I said, we don't want to see a major ground operation.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen that at this point.
Speaker 5: How many more.
Speaker 6: Shard corpses does he have to see before the president considers a change of problem.
Speaker 4: We don't want to see a single more innocent life taken.
Speaker 1: And I kind of take a little offense at the question. No civilian casualties is the right number of civilian casualties? If you or right. John Kirby previously was the communications always said the Department of a State. Now he is the National Security Agency spokesperson, which means he's right there in the white Even more important, though, to your point, he's in the belly of the administration's operations, it's thinking, and what it wants to communicate to the world about where the president stands on important issues of national security. I just wonder how how this all sits with you all in it, and I get a sense of how it saysts with people, but I'm curious how it sast with you.
Speaker 4: I'm sick. I like, I literally I cannot.
Speaker 5: I just I can't make sense of this to me when you say that this doesn't Israel hasn't crossed the red line, because it doesn't, it is not considered a major ground operation. I'm curious to know what a major ground operation is. Is that one hundred people? Is it a thousand people? Is it ten thousand? Is it one hundred thousand? What constitutes a major ground operation when you are fighting people with cannons that have slingshots. I just I don't understand what it takes and how we got here. And I think what I'm more repulsed by is my own.
Speaker 4: Not apathy.
Speaker 5: But it feels like there's a callous that's developing over my heart, like it's it's becoming the norm. And I'm not saying enough and I'm not doing enough, and I don't know where to start. And I feel, you know, like I'm so inspired by so many of these young people, but I'm still so frustrated that all of what they've sacrificed has not fallen on deaf ears, but it hasn't risen to the level that has required this administration to really change much. And I just want to know what it will take, what you know, what will cause you to lay you know, campaign donations aside, and lay your commitment to the Iron doma side, and really just move towards peace, you know. I just I am struggling with this. I think about what doctor King was saying about the Vietnam War, and like, how we get to the point where we will literally.
Speaker 4: Put a hierarchy on lives, you know.
Speaker 5: Whether I'm not saying that people in Israel should be held hostage, but I also damn sure don't think that these kids deserve to be blown to shreds. Like this is just beyond And I really don't understand how a nation that prides itself on Christian values when they see this type of genocide, because that is exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: It is the willful killing of a people who come from a certain group who are made up of certain DNA. That is absolutely what a genocide is. When you see this genocide, how do you square that with your Christian values? Where is your compassion? Where is loving your neighbor as yourself? Is it loving your neighbor as yourself depending on how much they can donate? Is it loving your neighbor as yourself? Depending on if they're part of a promised land that you have somehow warped the Bible into talking about, Like I just so, I think it's a highlight of how tone deaf this administration is. Even for John Kirby to be offended at the question, you know, it highlights such a disconnect with voters and answers one hundred percent right, we are witnessing genocide now. I do want to point out that Israel and Rapha and Gaza is not the only place where this type of devastating conflict is happening. And a lot of people ask, why don't you talk about this, Why don't you talk about that? We are very where. Obviously we know what's happening in Haiti. Obviously I'm super well ran on what's happening in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I'm very well aware of the conflict's happening in Nigeria all throughout the continent Sudan, clearly aware why this is so important and why this matters greatly, not that the other conflicts don't matter, but why the US has a keen interest here is because we're talking about nuclear powers.
Speaker 4: Israel is a nuclear power.
Speaker 5: And so I think President Biden is trying to tread lightly. I think it is as much about the votes as it is about global diplomacy and the shift that we see happening among superpowers, because there are some strange bedfellows making new friends on this stage. And I think netn Yahoo is such a Zionist, he is so laser focused on eradicating the Palestinian people from this territory that he is willing to make friends with anybody. So if he loses this big brother of the United States, where might he turn? What other nuclear powers might he turn to to gain funding and to continue in this I think heartless inhumane effort that we've seen. I think another interesting thing that has happened in the United States, which I greatly applaud. It used to be taboo. You couldnot say anything. People would conflate Jewish people, the idea and the Israeli government and make them one. And you cannot do that anymore. You cannot cancel people. You simply do not have the control to do that. There are Jewish people among the protesters. So you cannot say everyone who disagrees with the actions of the Israeli government when it comes to murdering civilians, women and children, that you're anti Semitic. Not true. I rebuke that wholeheartedly. Obviously we don't support anti Semitism. We're seeing something completely different. And then when you see people speaking out about it and people showing you what you don't see. This is the American media, but social media has democratized who has a voice, and so we see numerous videos of you cannot tell them, don't tell me, don't believe my lion eyes and lioneers, because we're seeing it with our own eyes. We have seen decapitated children, we have seen charred bodies, we have seen lifeless We've saw a grandmother get shot to death while trying to take her grandchild to safety. And so I think as long as this administration has been willfully ignorant to the cries of the people, on the ground, who are their voters? And these cries have extended across the globe. At this point, the entire world is looking at Net and Yahoo and the atrocities that the IDF is committed on behalf of Net and Yahoo with utter disgust, and who is funding that the United States? There is the other side, Andrew, where you have to consider, well, I'm so mad, I'm not going to vote for Biden. What do you think is going to happen under a second term Donald Trump presidency? So I fully understand people's frustration, but apathy or a protest vote and all those things, I don't think you will get the intended outcome with what was making that move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I appreciate the heartfelt, brilliant nature of both y'all's comments and Angela in her conversation basically defined what genocide is, but just definitionally and it doesn't vary really much. From what she said, is the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying the nation or group I mean, and quite frankly, it's exactly what jihad is. When when certain Islamic leaders who are anti a Muslim state, say they aught to commit jihad against islamita I mean against against Israelis. It is to wipe it out as a as as a group. And the reason I believe it requires serious interrogation by the United States government. The veracity of these of these charges is because the net and Yahoo government appears to be increasingly packed with race bigots who and I'm not making this up. This is this is. This has been reported in in uh in Jewish sources, both in Israel as well as here in the United States and all across the globe. And if and if the US government was full of that, we could truly identify as as full of racists persecuting racist policies with the goal of extinguishing black people in this country, we would call it what it is, or any group of people in this country. So I don't it's so serious that this isn't the this isn't a matter of name calling. We're trying to get to the crux of what is going on. And Biden, as the President of the United States and considerably considered by many nations in the world as a moral leader, if not the principled, then moral leader among democracies can't seriously reckon with this, while at the same time saying Israel has a to defend itself. I don't, I don't. I don't know where that leaves us. And the and the horrible part that I feel about this, y'all, is that it will be in somebody's memoirs, long after they have served and had an ability to impact what's happening today that we learn about regret and a decision that should have been made that wasn't. And and the truth of that matter is, is it ain't worth the paper it is printed on. After you leave a position where you can do something and to a place where all you can do is opine on your mistakes. Tiffany, you you broached where we want to go I think next. And we've heard this and in many ways are pushed thereby our listeners themselves, who have some interesting queries around how we reconcile the totality of the Biden agenda, what we're experiencing and seeing today, with how they are supposed to perform, how they're supposed to show up and if they are supposed to show up, or we'll play some bill and meet you on the other.
Speaker 7: Side High Native Land Podcast.
Speaker 8: My name is ben Na Guha and I'm a South Asian artist here in New York City. So I'm trying to think about ways to convince.
Speaker 4: My friends who vound.
Speaker 8: Not to vote for Biden, how to convince them that that's a mistake I hate. And I'm so disappointed by everything Biden is choosing to do in terms of foreign relations, in terms of his weird loyalty to Israel, because god damn, if children dying doesn't change your mind, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know what will.
Speaker 8: But that being said, Trump is worse, and so I'm trying to figure out how to talk to people about it without dismissing the consciousness and their spirit. And I think it's being handled in a really irresponsible way when people ask the same question because they're like, you know, shaming people for not.
Speaker 4: Liking Biden right now, and it's like, can you blame people?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: But there's still a strategic choice here, and I need language, and I was hoping y'all can help me with that.
Speaker 1: Thanks, And she wasn't alone. Let's hear from another listener.
Speaker 9: What's good in NLP. My name is Luke Isaac. I'm a twenty five year old from Memphis, Tennessee, and I wanted to ask y'all this as far as Biden, where is his core base, where's the voters that are in his back pocket? Because the people I'm around are either older black and brown people that are tired of the amount of money that is getting.
Speaker 2: Sent to Ukraine leaders read a room.
Speaker 9: They don't feel like there's an equal amount of money flowing through our community to.
Speaker 1: Lift us up.
Speaker 9: And then it's younger people that are around my age, college students that are fed up with the amount of money going to Israel.
Speaker 2: These are things that will stuck people from building for you and need to give me. It's like that administration doesn't seem to get that. So I would to ask you all who is the fourth because I don't have any real Biden fans right now, and I'm kind of getting worried because it's looking like Trump is going to be on some unconstitutional and mass deportation stuff and I can support that either. So I would be honest with you, I'm leaning towards Team Couch And I know y'all hate to hear that. I'm so sorry to say it, but that's that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: These are two really thoughtful I thought, and consider it comment slash questions, and it really gets us to a theme that we've been hearing, I think, rather repeatedly, which is this whole idea of the lesser of two evils when you consider Biden the Trump and the question around who is Biden's people, who are his base? Who is coming with him? I thought was really interesting and I thought rather informed analysis that you hear from some older folks. Look, we sent it too much money to Ukraine and this why should we be concerned? And you hear obviously across college campuses in many communities, you know, just being fed up, fed up to the point of protests and and and and The truth is is the movement against the Vietnam more started somewhere right, and and and and and and it'd be interesting to see where this goes. But the lesser of two evils, how do we help listeners think through how they're to talk about this with with friends and family. I guess the first thing I say is honestly, and that can be painful. What do y'all think?
Speaker 5: Well, I think those are two very different questions because I think the last guy was asking who is Biden's base, and I think all three of us can say in unison, Biden's base looks like us. And that's something that unfortunately this administration seems to be reminded need to be reminded of a lot, which is pretty frustrating. Biden's base is not the nicky Hayley voter that they seem hell bent. Ongoing after to the first Young Ladies question around what do we say to peopeople? Look, I have to say we, as black and brown folks in this country, we have never had the privilege of being single issue voters. We just cannot afford that. Yes, I want to add to y'all think that there has ever been a candidate that stood with me on every single thing I believe in, and if they didn't, I had the privilege to say, oh well, oh well, I'm just gonna go vote for somebody else, or I'm not going to vote. We just don't have that privilege. But I say that understanding that there are many people, particularly people who are Palestinian in this country. It would be really hard for you to ask me to vote for somebody who is killing or funding the killing of my people. So I don't want to dismiss that frustration from people. And the truth is I have no words. I have no words for somebody who is saying, you're killing my family, You're killing people who look like me. I don't have any encouragement there for a lot of other people. I understand that you want to stand in solidarity and that we all in unison, crying, screaming from the mountaintops. This is genocide. We don't like it. However, this policy will not change under Donald Trump. If you think Donald Trump is gonna stop funding Israel, you are wrong. He has said publicly, he has pledged to support publicly to net and Yahoo and to the Israel State, and has supported what he's seen happen in Israel. So to me, it's it's pretty simple. I would also advise the young woman to focus on policies that the Biden administration has administered and has gotten passed through Congress that has benefited people of color, because there have been many policies that we benefit from that It might not be a parent and it might not be as tangible in your life tomorrow, but but for sure, there's been policies of this administration as instituted that we benefit from. You know, I I think that these are related in part because what I think that I hear our folks wrestling with a lot is not feeling the support from an administration that we know that we help to not just elect, but prop up. And so when you can see the billions of dollars going in foreign aid not just because of what Joe Biden is doing, but because of what the Republican led House and the Democratic led barely but Senate is doing, it's it's hard to not feel invisible in that, and it's hard to get people motivated when you're like, Okay, where do I really align with you on the issues? And frankly, I think what is really tough is in the middle of having this conversation right after RAFA, you really have to think about if the achievements that they've touted, especially during the you know, the Black History Month fact sheet, are commensurate with what they're asking us to do or what they asked us to do in twenty twenty, which was to risk our lives in a pandemic to go out and vote. Has this administration been radical or courageous enough to garner that same support? And I think that they still got some work to do. I don't think it's over. I think that there's still a possibility. But I will tell you, after seeing what we witnessed today and what we've been witnessing over the last several days, it's really tough. And I don't want to make it seem to our listeners like we don't carefully think, calculate, debate, analyze every aspect of this every time we sit down, you know, Like I don't think that it would be honest for me to say I've never thought about who the hell else could run? Like that really has been my thought, Like why are why? How do we get stuck here? This election feels like to me, y'all are gonna laugh because I wasn't even registered yet. But when I was in the third grade, Michael Dukakis was running George H. W. Bush, and I went to vote with my parents every election. And I remember that year we had like a foe election in the third grade and that was the one time I went to the polls with my parents and I was like, I really am not excited about this. I was like, what happened to Jesse Jackson? Like where do you go? And I feel that in the same way. Now, it's like, this is not what I signed up for. When I think about how elated I was to champion Kamala Harris being the vice president on this ticket, this is not what I expected.
Speaker 4: I would like to hear so much more from her. I would.
Speaker 5: I know that she is challenging this president to do something different. I want to see that challenge. I don't think that when you are in partnership, whether it's in a marriage, it's at your church home, it's on a board of a corporation, it's you know, nonprofit leaders, I don't care where you are, it is okay to disagree, and I think sometimes that is what makes partnership stronger. I want to see that. I feel like I'm all over the place. But my point is I am not happy right now, and that is my true and I know that in some ways there are folks who are going to watch this and feel like I'm being remarkably irresponsible.
Speaker 4: To me at this point, I feel like.
Speaker 5: What would be remarkably irresponsible is to pretend like this isn't a very challenging calculation to make right now. This is hard, it's not easy, and I still know where my vote is going in the fall, it is with the Biden Harris ticket, unless there's some crazy thing that happens, happens.
Speaker 4: At the convention and somebody else becomes is on the ticket. But I am not voting for Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Remember he's still the guy that was in charge of the Muslim band and put Jared Kushner over Israeli relations.
Speaker 4: So there's that that's real.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree, given the clips from RAFA and what we talked about just in this episode, I don't want to dismiss anybody. And there hesitant resistance toward voting for an administration where on an issue in particular you feel heart wrenched about and and just utterly destroyed inside. And folks don't have to look like you in order for you to have that emotional reaction to just senseless and aimless killing. But I approach voting like I do anything I would do strategically. You know, it used to be said that you plan your work, and you work your plan with a protest vote, with choosing to sit on the couch those our lives don't afford us the emotional reaction of I'm just gonna sit it out and let what happened happens because what happened happens. What happened to you and to your family and the people you care about in the neighborhood you live in, and the folks who you grew up with, your mother, your father, your siblings, your children. There are higher stakes here. And I'm just so glad that we didn't have protesters in the Midnight eighteen in the late nineteen fifties and early sixties who said we didn't get our way politically or otherwise, and so we're going to sit home. No, when they decided they were going to sit home, it was strategic. They sat home to extract something from the system that under normal conditions, the system wasn't rendering to them. And they didn't do that at the ballot box. They did that when they came to sitting outside of the bus or walking next to the bus and not on it until we could extract what we needed from that system. That was strategic, that was thoughtful, and it yielded over time the response that we know we needed. We require when you go to a job and you're depending on that job for a wage to take home to take care of yourself and your family, just because you had a bad day and a bad experience. By and large, most of us just don't quit that day. If we even think about quitting, we start to lay a plan. We started to talk to some people and figure out, well, so I can go. And when you go in to lay that Trump Trump card down, no pun intended, I'm out of here. I quit. You got another plan in place to take care of yourself and your family. It's strategic, it's thoughtful, it's it's planning your work and working your plan. And so know, there is not some heart you know, heartfelt story that I can offer to say, compromise on your value on this issue so that you can win temperamentally on this one. But unfortunately politics and the science of it and the way elections work, certainly in this country is it's usually a dichotomy. One of the two people was going to win. And when you size them up, if one is on a whole nother plan in universe, bad that ought to make it up for you right then and there. So we may not be able to go to our families this time and say hope and change and things are going to be radically you know different. You know, as a result, of this. But guess what, Joe Biden doesn't cause my blood pressure to rise. He you know, the excitement isn't you know? There? But I tell you I don't have I have not always been excited about the choices I've had to make. I've had to make them anyway, and so in this case, I just think this is this is one of those places where we're going to have to do what needs to be done because the situation makes it necessary, and in this case, the situation makes it necessary for me.
Speaker 4: I just have a quick question for you, because I know we're way over.
Speaker 5: If you put yourselves in the shoes of the Palestinian people. I'm thinking about Linda, I'm thinking about Rashida, who both still have family members there, and it was our people killed, you know, to the tune of over forty thousand. Where do you think you would land? Yeah, that was the point I just made. If they were killing people like me, I wouldn't be able to vote. So I understand completely youresent referencing Linda Sarsauer, who's an activist in Congressman Rashida Telib from Michigan, who was instituted in the protest vote during the primary and she's made comments like we're not going to forget this in November.
Speaker 4: It's hard for me.
Speaker 5: I could never ask somebody who is personally impacted, and these are you know, community members and friends and family, it would be incredibly hard. I could not vote for this administration. I could not, and I understand that Trump is a much worse scenario. But if it's my family and my people's people who look like me, I don't think i'd be able to which I don't know what that says about me or us or other people who feel that way. Because I have empathy and I'm in solidarity with the Palestinian people who are being slaughtered. I am not willing at this point to not vote for the Biden administration just because I am terribly fearful it's not my people right now. Under a Trump administration, it was my people, and it very well could be my people again. So that's why I'm voting for the Biden Here is to get.
Speaker 1: I couldn't guilt anybody on that, Angela giving your setup, but I think we all have a role to play. And just like in relationships, some days we fifty to fifty and other days we're seventy thirty and some days we ninety ten. And I guess what that means for the rest of us who aren't at the intersection of the impact in quite the same way as somebody who's got a family member, friend, relative who's being slaughter right now, I think we have to lean in and maybe this requires your ninety ten. Maybe you got to show up for that person who cannot in good conscience do it for themselves, because we know that the outcome could be not could would be worse. Angelae, you referenced it. Trump's first attack in office was against Muslim countries. Yeah, what do you think he would do? Carpet bomb? Of course? And do you think he'd have sour words for nothing? Now? Who? I don't think so so. But but that's not an argument that I think could be made necessarily to a person whose family sits at the intersection.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, it's like, how do you how do you tell them about it? If when right now is the present? And then what is our obligation then to these folks who were saying, like, Okay, well I would move different if these were I'm not saying everybody's saying that, but I kind of feel like that too. I would move different if this was my people. If I'm not moving different because it's not my people, then what is my obligation to my friends who I'm allegedly standing in solidarity with? Do I push this administration harder? Have I done all I can to advocate for what is right? And I would tell you the answers no? So what am I doing?
Speaker 4: If I? If I?
Speaker 5: If I'm saying ultimately in November, I know that we've you know, this country slaughtered thousands of people who look like you, including your family members.
Speaker 4: But I need you to fall in line.
Speaker 5: And don't get out of line in November and cast that ballot.
Speaker 4: What am I going to do to make it easier for them to cast that ballot? And I haven't done that. I haven't done that.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying I have not done that. That is not okay? Would I need to what would I need to hear to be okay with that? And I don't know what it is. I'm not trying to get people to sit at home. What I'm really trying to do, because people get confused sometimes, is stretch us. Our political engagement. Our activism has to go beyond the ballot box. If it doesn't, fewer and fewer and fewer people will show up to the ballot box.
Speaker 4: Our obligation to our fellow citizens and.
Speaker 5: These people who we love is to make sure that it is not just palatable for them. It's not just tolerable. It's not just they hold their nose and vote. It should be something that is that they do exuberantly, and right now they can't because their lives are literally on the line. They're not casting a vote for survival. They're casting a vote for a less li less genocide. Come on, y'all, like we got we owe them better than that. Like, what can we do to push this administration to say it's not this is not sufficient.
Speaker 4: Your red line is up, Fix your red line, move it.
Speaker 5: Because what you're doing if it were, if the shoe was on the other foot, if it was thirty thousand people Israeli's killed, there would be a World War three starting right now.
Speaker 4: True, So what are we doing.
Speaker 5: We can't keep saying that there's no value on the lives lost and there's and then do something completely It's not okay. I just morally I'm not okay with it. So I want to figure out what we can do to push this administration to do right by these folks, because right now it's wrong.
Speaker 1: It's wrong, Angela. I just think we may talk about voting as the only layer of innervision and protection, but it's not. There's several guess what, there's a convention coming this summer. Shut that bitch down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get.
Speaker 1: No houses, you don't.
Speaker 4: How let's go back to Chicago protests? You mean literally and it will be in Chicago protest ja. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is there are a lot of ways to impact upon the process. I consider the option of not voting, the nuclear option, and guess what, sometimes there is in case of emergency break lass and then there's that. But I can't also, in good conscience, knowing that elections have have consequences, advise anybody who cares about the plight of the Palestinian people and what's happening to sit on the couch. Yeah, ok, either just that doesn't work.
Speaker 5: There's the thing is there keeps being for those who are more politically astute, there keeps being this conversation about just sitting out the election, and that's irresponsible because there are four five, six, seven, eight, nine ten steps we can take before that. And I think that it would be really smart for us, And maybe it's another podcast because I know we're so over, but it would be really smart for us to talk about what some of those options are. Is there a letter writing campaign to the Biden administration? Can you call on your members of Congress to sit down and have a real meeting, have Biden come to the hill and talk about what his strategy is, and really give him what is the new red line? What should the line be? It should be not another live loss. Is that something that.
Speaker 4: We should be helping to orchestrate on this podcast?
Speaker 5: This is he said it was a red line if it was American lives. Well, we saw what happened with Jose Andres and that wasn't a red line.
Speaker 4: The red line is going to keep moving, That's my point.
Speaker 5: And so if the red line keeps moving, then is it up to the voter to say, no, this is our red line. You better not cross this red line. And that is what I'm really asking. Maybe that is what we need to show because these again, these kids, they will their graduation on the line, and there whether or not they're suspended from school. People are laying their jobs on the line. Folks are literally being ostracized because of taking these positions. But this is a human rights issue. And how dare we have another MLK holiday where we're quoting this man and act like this isn't everything that he stood for. And to your point, Andrew, Chicago is a great place, but there are a number of steps that could be taken in terms of organizing people and bodies even before that point.
Speaker 4: But it's a great place before November. We have a whole summer to figure this out, and we need to figure it out this summer. I really do believe that.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I agree with you. I will just say, doctor King never ever told any about it not to vote right and in the fight for our humanity, in the fight for us to be seen as human, and I think the same fight it can be attributed here to see my life as valuable. Yeah, there were steps that were taken in much sacrifice, but never was it an option to sit out the election.
Speaker 5: In fact, I hope nobody hears me saying that. How was I saying I hope nobody hears me saying that I did not.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not attributing that to you. That's not no, no, no, I'm not attributing that to you. I'm simply saying no, no, in the myriad of things that can be done, I'm simply saying that if we nothing, Tiffany, you said in this episode, nothing new is ever really new, right, It's been done before. And all I'm saying is, let's reflect on the successful movements of our past as instruction as guidance for what could be done to help move us along on this one. Progress can be had, I believe that. But but consider voting and not voting as a nuclear option. It is not a first place of resource for people who frankly are co opting what is a tragic moment in history as an excuse to be lazy. Yeah, that ain't everybody, But I hear folks who don't show up for nothing out here talking about not voting and and and and attributing certain things. Is any excuse when it wasn't your plan to get out there anyway? Don't co opt this moment for some bull Yeah, y'all, I know it deserves a lot more conversation, and I think I appreciate us all leaning in to try to participate in this one, and ANGELI accept your challenging us thinking through what role we might be able to play, you know, going forward. Let's take a break and when we come back, we'll talk about what our admonishments might be to the listeners.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, y'all.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be native Lampard if we didn't conclude today's episode, as heavy as it may have been, with our calls to action for what we could do right where we are to make a difference. Angela, you want to go first.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 5: I just want to first tell you all thank you tiff and Andrew, because it's been a really heavy, long few weeks.
Speaker 4: Y'all have dealt with me with two or three hours of sleep and grouchiness.
Speaker 5: Nick.
Speaker 4: I was grouchy like our producer Nick at one time, but every day.
Speaker 5: And I just want to shout out our dear sister Marilyn Moseby, whose grandmother's in hospice care right now. As you all know, the government spent millions of taxpayer dollars to give her an ankle bracelet that's not from Tiffany's, to have her on home confinement basically with a lot of latitude, but I believe that that is still not freedom. And when you haven't broken the law and you have been targeted, you probably shouldn't be confined in that way. So, even though some folks are curious about why we're still pushing for Maryland's freedom her like complete liberation, and still pushing for a complete and full presidential pardon, this is the reason why she did not break the law. And despite how the government has tried to paint that inaccuracy and press releases from the Department of Justice at nauseum and even in this trial, I hope you will still stand with us. We are closer to one hundred thousand signatures on the petition. Shout out again to Tiff and Andrew for allowing us to hold that petition with color of change. But I would love for you all to continue to sign on, continue to call the White House and ask when that pardon will happen again. This is one of those things that this administration can do to demonstrate that it stands with black folks overall, and folks who work to ensure that the justice system is far more balanced, and Maryland is certainly one of those champions for us. So that is my ask. Go to Justice for Maryland moosb dot com dot today and sign that petition.
Speaker 1: Love that. Thank you Angela, tiff what you got?
Speaker 5: I mean in essence of time, because they're so over. I defer to Angela's call to action and whatever you're about to give us, Andrew, I say, follow whatever Andrew and Angela say this.
Speaker 1: Week's and let's let's put that in marble, because Tiffan ain't ever by dev to follow us. No, of course I'm jesting, but but honestly, all praise and thanks to you Angela for the champions work that you did and picking this and wrangling it. Everybody needs a friend like you and my CTA. Y'all actually change from what I thought when we started and where it ends is. I would like y'all to help us think through offering suggestions around strategies that we might pursue to get an administration that we voted for to do what we want them to do, short of pulling the nuclear option of not voting. So, if you've got an idea, a suggestion, a thought, put it in our feed our comments, do a video. What are the options you would consider before you would quit your job? What are the options you would consider before you would in significant ways shift your family and re action to a thing an action of something. Just give us your ideas for what we as a community could consider doing before we decide to sit in an election house. Before we in the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lamp Pod. We're available on all platforms and of course YouTube where you can see us. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are at Angela Rae, Tiffany cross In, Andrew Gillim and we just want to say welcome home everybody. There are one hundred and fifty nine days until election day.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining the Natives. Attention to what the info and all of the latest rock, Gulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the pass reason for your choice is cleared. So grateful to execute, road for serve, defend and protect the truth. For a walk a home all of the Natives.
Speaker 1: We thank you.
Speaker 4: Welcomes.
Speaker 1: Native Name Pot is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio. Visit iHeartRadio, app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.