Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield and on today's show, Torrents week rolls on. As we move inside in one of my favorite positions in this class, both draft and free agency.
Speaker 2: Will break down those spots.
Speaker 1: We'll take a look at the Dolphins incumbents across the interior offensive line, the philosophy, the scheme, a whole bunch of talk about the guard and center positions. We'll also get into the first edition of the Wavish Trinkfield mock Draft Machine Simulator four thousand. Here on this long edition of the Draft Time Podcast from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the afforementioned Draft Time Podcast Mae Jaffe Before we start here on the interior offensive line. This is gonna be like almost an hour long episode, so just strap in with me real quick. Maybe a two day podcast for you. The bane of the existence of Dolphin's Twitter right, Dolphins social media. I just want to make a few things clear off the top. The number one thing is the approach last year. You're not gonna like this, but it made perfect sense. I know that my explanation of why fell on deaf ears and gets passed along by the let's call it the frat community of Dolphins twitter of They ignored the offensive line for the last x amount of years despite the fact that they invested top of the market money at left tackle, two times at center. They have a first rounder at right tackle, had a top forty pick at right guard that went on to sign a one hundred million dollar contract, and then a bust of a second round draft pick as a big part of all of that, whatever, there was a big investment on the offensive line over the last five six years. You can't understand what you don't understand, right, Dunning Krueger effect. The biggest issue facing the country and the world right now, with the second biggest thing behind our current political landscape is the Dolphins offensive line. Apparently so the continuity approach, well, it blew up, and it began in the summer when Isaiah Winn had a set back in his injury rehab that put them behind the eight ball from jump. Liam never took the jump, Rob Jones's up and down play continued, and Jack driscoll couldn't stick a signing that quite frankly, I never quite understood on tape in Philadelphia. But here's where I think the plot got lost. The continuity. I would get it more if we're talking about Austin Jackson types plus athletes that are born to thrive in the scheme. But Liam and especially Rob Jones were always always round pegs and square holes. Like the Austin jump happened because he has the goods to play in this offense. Liam and Rob did not have those physical skill sets, and I was too bullish, as was the team, on their ability to do that. But here's where I always disagreed to agree with you guys. I should say that they should have had more run game diversity. There was way too much reliance on outside zone. There wasn't enough cound to take advantage of some of the overplay they got in those positions, and the more power and strength at those guard positions would have really coincided with more cutback runs that we just didn't get very many of those this year. And I put some of that on the running back. I put some of that on the idea of who to play at running back. I put some of that on the coaching, the scheme of the run game. I put some of that across the offensive line their share to go around. But the bottom line is your right guard and your left guard, we're not good enough last year. That's what we're trying to get out here, right. And I look back at this qrisc wheel quote from when he talked about this as in a season press conference, like he basically spelled out what I just spelled out for you. Now, he did excuse a lot of these shortcomings on the injuries that happened across the offensive line, which kind of happens every single year, as you'll learn here in the free agent portion of this podcast, because guess what, all the guys in the market for the most part, have something of a checkered injury history because guards get hurt more than any other position in the NFL. But he talked about the investment into you know, Isaiah Winn coming back, Rob Hunt and Solomon Kinley and Austin Jackson a few years ago Toronto, Armstead's investment in his return to the lineup like all the guys they looked at, and he blamed the injuries quite heavy handedly in that comment. But the bottom line was he said that it's time to kind of reinvest in the offensive line, and we'll see if that's draft picks, we'll see if that's free agents. I'm not really sure, but you're gonna get an investment there because I think there's important context in his answer, because that was, you know, in many ways, the foundation of the rebuild was back in twenty twenty with those guys I just mentioned with Eric Flowers, with Ted Carriss. You know, in eighteenth and thirty eighth pick on Austin Jackson and Rob Hunt, and you know, they hit on Rob so much so that his price tag ballooned out of what really any contending team usually plays for a guard, right, I mean, players go to places like Carolina or Las Vegas because they don't have players worth signing what they're afforded on the salary cap. They don't have two hundred and fifty million dollars worth of personnel on that roster, So why not give Rob Jones the biggest right guard contract in the history of the national football You basically have endless money to spend, and and that's the one way you can get good football players on your team outside of the draft is you're going to have to overpay because nobody wants to go play for a five win team unless you say, hey, big fella, here's one hundred million dollars ten percent of your cap on a guard is not good business. It is when you don't have good players and you don't have to worry about that money. But when you have good players like the Miami Dolphins have, you can't do that. Okay, we all understand that. And then I think back to when coach was hired and he talked about the seven hundred play reel where you know, with tool where the ball was coming out super quick, playing with confidence and conviction in what he saw in process and making very accurate throws. And the decision was made that the emphasis should be on the difference makers on the perimeter.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But even still with that, you still got tron Connor Williams, Aaron Brewer, a second round pick on Patrick Paul. And I got back to this comment about the depth and the toll the injuries took, and I just think that has to be an emphasis to get yourself a solid pipeline of players to develop behind a seven or eight man crew of guys ready to roll.
Speaker 2: Right now, we.
Speaker 1: Will see, but that press conference, I think the context clues everything to me points to this being an area of focus. And you go into the month of February sitting here on the fifth of the month knowing, you know, barring what happens with Tarn and Kendall Lamb, but I think we know what's going to happen there. But if those guys both called a career, you know what you have your starters in terms of the left tackle, the center, and the right tackle, and all of the guards that started games last year are unrestricted free agents. You have Andrew Meyer in the program as a potential swing guy inside, like you need more there, so I have to imagine it'll be a mix of both veteran signings, maybe one incumbent like in Isaiah when would be my pick for that group. I just felt that was more important to lead into the show with here than anything else, rather than just jumping right in, because there has to be some explanation as to what happened, what went wrong, and what needs to be done to fix it. Let's go ahead now and pivot into next portion, Part two of part of three parts of Trenches Week.
Speaker 3: It's two wrenches, weak tackles, guards, centers, Offensive line play Touchweek.
Speaker 4: Te Gurtch week, True tweekweek and we kick it off with the incumbents.
Speaker 1: By and large, it was bad, but I still contend that it wasn't the disaster that everybody will make you believe that it was if you're chronically online, and I'm sure there are even a few daily drive timers out there that will disagree with me, and that's okay. I will be the first to admit again that Rob and Liam were never fits in the system and where round pegs were a whole type of guys. But the Niners have done this for years, and it's why I harp so much on not taking guys just in the first round to fix your issues, but keeping the pipeline fresh with later round picks, especially at that guard position. Tackles are typically round one players in this offense and in most offenses, because you can't usually get them in the second and third round. We'll see you about Patrick Paul, But for the most part, you get six or seven guys in the first round and then you don't really get many hits beyond that after that. But on the interior you can find more guys that fit in those positions, and you know all this historical precedents at this position. Here, I'm talking about the system right from Mike Shanahan to Gary Kubiak. Like Kyle Shanahan took it even further that the league was not this, you know, split safety, soft front type of game. And that's why I think you've seen lafleur and McVeigh adjust effectively to go more to a power running game. And not just with the system, but look at the top three teams in the league and their investments at the running back spot, with the value of a three down guy that doesn't tip your hand to the offense like a Derreck Henry, like a Sakuon Barkley, like a Josh Jacobs, or even Kyron Williams with a Blake corm investment in Los Angeles, or Nick Chubb's effectiveness falling off when they adjusted their offense to fit to Sean Watson. My point is, you have these power backs that can contribute the passing game and take advantage of the space of NFL defenses are giving, and I think Miami needs something similar there and it starts with a type of player they'll go after here on the interior offensive line, Aaron Brewer was the best free agent signing of the organization over the last what decade or so. It's hard to say, because they did sign both Tron and Connor Williams, and we signed John new Smith and Jordan Brooks. Is pretty damn good. Klay Is Campbell. My point is that Brewer is perfectly cash for this offense. He never missed a snap. The quarterback loves him. He is a critical piece at a position that's asked to do more in this offense than just about any other across the league. The way he helps the guards with the combo blocks and the ability to shed blocks, and he's the focal point of this interior offensive line. And we'll see the approach. They can go the continuity route or they can go totally fresh at the guard position. Again, given the expiring contracts, it's a pretty cool blank canvas because you've essentially got your tackles and center with you know, second rounder at left tackle, first rounder at right tackle, seve a million dollars per year, free agent at center, and then you know, we'll see what happens at guard. So do they bring in a more amenable guard to excel with outside zone game but also have plenty of scheme variation ability. Do they continue the continuity route. I think this position will give you the context clues for how the offense wants to adjust and adapt in twenty twenty five to hopefully come over overcome some of the woes they had this past season. Because what does coach McDaniel always say, The offense is a living, breathing thing. It's not something you just set and forget. So Brewer, I've made my feelings known on him. The way he can catch a block off the line of scrimmage and then go help the guard get attached, then detach and climb the second level and go beat a linebacker to a spot that he's giving a head start to. In terms of the leverage and the way he finishes those plays, I think that this is a cornerstone player, one of the best players in the conference at his position. His communication was great and will only get better. I mean, he missed more than half of camp with that hand injury actually was August seventh, so like basically a week of camp, and then he went into the season cold and was a sixteen or seventeen game player who was awesome cornerstone player. And when you look at the free agent additions of last offseason. Literally all the signings that were multi year players. They hit Aaron Brewer three year contract at center. We are set right there. Number seventy four. Liam Eichenberg. He's he's a good option if he's your eighth tryout player, eighth or ninth guy.
Speaker 2: He's tough as hell.
Speaker 1: He can play really all five positions, not well, but he can't play him he plays through the Nixon bruises. I'm trying to find enough nice thing to say, but quite frankly, the tape has been like really bad, right. I can't comprehend all the chances he got as a starter in this system that prioritize foot speed, quickness technique, which, of course that last part was his game at Notre Dame, but it's rarely been good here. Most one on one matchups were too much for him. But I do still give him credit for the toughness he displayed at the end of twenty twenty three with that foot injury. He was dragging that thing around, playing through games. Now, if he's back, it's got to be minimum expectation that you're fighting for the eighth job. Under no circumstances should he be retained as an actual like playing option right off the top. Rob Jones consistently was not good enough right never quite understood jamming that square peg into the round hole. Same with Leam Eichenberg there. He was always a power player back to college. He just got beat too often when we needed to win an ISO block. He fell off way too many combo blocks. Doesn't have plus foot speed. I think that's a pretty easy one to move off of. Isaiah win number seventy seven. I thought his play down the stretch was the best guard performance we got this year when he was plat tuning with Leam Eikenberg, had the big block on that eight chan clinching touchdown against the Niners. I thought the setback that cost him all of camp and most of the season was kind of the first domino that spelled depth issues across this offensive line. I thought he was really really good in the seven games he played back in twenty twenty three, and you could look at twenty twenty five, with a full offseason healthy, as potentially his best year as a pro, given the familiarity and clean bill of health. Really curious to see where they go with this one. His availability has been a bugaboo his entire career. He's missed eight six one eight eleven games in a six year career. If you bring him back, I think it's like a little bit above what I talked about with Liam, where you probably sign him and say like you're gonna be our seventh guy and when injuries happen, you can step in and hopefully be a good starter for us. Andrew Meyer number sixty, I thought in camp he earned the right to be the top option off the bench at center because well, it wasn't very good otherwise, and he played pretty good in that position in the preseason, just in terms of getting to all the difficult blocks that he got to that are asked of a center in this offense. He has the requisite ability to get to the second level and out in space. He's kind of one of my key guys to watch this camp for the point that I keep coming back to, every young player that you can develop and contribute, they can contribute to your way to your game is such a win to your program. And this guy has a chance to be one of those gems. What does this room need two new starters and I think win as competition to one of those spots. Possibly, I think you can go mid level free agent here and we'll see. I won't believe it until we see it, but I doubt they're going to go, you know, anything beyond the Aaron Brewer contract range, regardless of system. I think spending twenty million dollars in a guard is a horrendous resource allocation. So Tray Smith, whoever signs him, yes, you'll be better at that guard spot. But there's no chance he can play at a level that justify ten percent of your cap It just cannot happen. So I think they need versatile options that can do both outside zone but give you more power. We have to figure out our short yard situation, and you're not going to you know, if you're not going to deploy a quarterback option like a Tush push option or a Tyler Warren sneak and wildcat option, which of the twelve options you have, then we better get some guys that can push the point of attack. I think you sign one surefire starter. I think you draft a player in the middle round somewhere. You re sign Isaiah Winn, bring back some developmental guys deep on day three in the UDFA class. This gives you a decent crop and maintains keeping the position under like ten million for a whole season. Last year was under five, so it's not that big of a stretch. But I think there's options there to round this thing out, and we're going to get into this group here on the other side of the break of the guards that are going to be available or possibly available, and I might have under we sold some of their values and some discussions on social and across the podcast over the last few weeks, but there are a ton of guys at this position that are about to hit the market in a month, and I am very excited about it. Let's go ahead and take a break. Didn't mention Chas and Hines' futures contract additional asset.
Speaker 2: We can keep him in mind there as well.
Speaker 1: But on the other side of the break, we're gonna talk about who can go after, who we can go after, who we can afford, how many guys who might be able to get. Plenty of content coming your way here on the other side. Drive Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation Trench's week rolling on into the free agent class that you're going to take a look at this coming March across the interior offensive line position and it is positively loaded. Aaron Banks is where we start alphabetically, and your projection on this player is what he could be if you sign him. And I don't think the familiarity makes him an obvious fit. We saw the exact same thing with Lake and Tomlinson when he was available a couple of years back. I'm just not sure I see it. He is six foot five three, one hundred and thirty pounds, and he does have plus movement skills. I mean, he's one of the very few second round guards to ever get drafted into the Shanahan offensive tree. But there's so many like what the f was that type of reps. He comes out of his stance high, his punch is not always delivered with an actual strike. It's like it's not purposeful all the time. I see his heels clicking and too close together in pass sets, and yet other times he gets spread out wide.
Speaker 2: And winds up losing his balance that way.
Speaker 1: He reminds me of a golfer who can't execute multiple swing thoughts at once, and you just get a lot of blow up holes because of that, it all breaks down. Not a big fan of his game. My conclusion is maybe he hits that development we've been talking about for these guys that show stuff out of college struggle right away, but I'm not seeing it from him. I think he'll get paid a lot more than what he's shown on tape through four years, and given this class, I would go in different direction.
Speaker 2: Makai Becton is next.
Speaker 1: Alphabetically, everything I thought about this player coming out of college came true this season. He's super light on his feet. He can get with in just a step or two because he is so long and cover so much ground to attack a second level SAM linebacker, stay in control, stay composed, and just go engulf them. Those feet benefit him in pass pro too, where he can just shut things down in a phone booth. That is the guard position. I think he was a little bit more exposed to tackle. I think he's a guard, which obviously was drafted too high to be a guard. But maybe you can sign him for a requisite contract because of that. When I watch his feet in the run game, his technique has really been sorted out. He doesn't fall step, he stays under his shoulder pads. He can struggle with his pad level because he's a freaking monster. Any guy that size will. But he's so powerful and athletic, and now he's had the coaching and maturation, I think he's gonna stand and be a lot more active in terms of pass pro finding work, keeping the feet going. Now, Jared Verse did send him to the shadow realm on a slant when he got himself stuck or too high out of a stance, and that can happen sometimes. My conclusion, I have to imagine the Eagles plan to bring him back. He was so good and he got a year of schooling from Jeff Stoutlin and he talked about him as a you know, the defining pivot point of his career. So maybe Beckton takes less to stay there. But they're also a wagon of a roster, So can they afford to go to his asking price? Will he ask for less than what he's gonna get on the market. If you want a right guard that can get to the second level on the perimeter of the running game, but also move the one shade on third and one off the football, there's no one better on the crop than Makai six foot seven, three hundred and sixty pounds.
Speaker 2: He ran a five to one forty.
Speaker 1: Like this is the built in a lab type of player McDaniel joked about back in like twenty seventeen or whatever it was when he said, for you know, we want skys that's having feet tall, four hundred pounds ideally. Spot Rack thinks he's a ten million per year player and he's probably a better player than Rob Hunt at like half the cost. So sign me up if you can get that done. Austin Corbett's next, and in my worst DJ kalled voice, another one.
Speaker 2: He's got this fluid.
Speaker 1: Little skip step where he gets he's able to get over a gap and stay on balance and in control, then just goes to work with what might be the most brute physicality in this group. He's a maler and I think he has some stones to play in this system too. I mean he's played for the Rams for a handful of years, or he did, I should say, I do think he can get a little bit high out of his stands and can be overwhelmed by some of the bigger defensive tackles in this league. But going back to college, he's been inflicting punishment for his entire football life. He's ready made in terms of his angles of attack. He can reach a three technique and outside zone. I think he's another really intriguing option here at the guard position. He played for the Rams, so he has the systems down and again there's some really nice finishing hand usage, second level stuff. Just a loaded class. But like a lot of guards in this league, he has also battled injuries the last few years. That's going to be a commonplace across this group. Just like our next player who is pushing to be the top player on this chart for me, despite coming off an Achilles injury, James Daniels for the Steelers. I am so curious to see what his market is coming off that injury. But this guy just solves so many woe as you had last year in terms of your backup center spot that has always been one play away from turning nuclear right. He's super adept as a guard, which is what he'd be here. He schemed averse, incredibly athletic low center of gravity to get surge in the running game. He has so much pop with a good pad level and a refined hips knees, punch feet, hardwired to the hands, combination to handle one on one pass rushes and work in unison with smart athletic teammates, which as a right guard, he would have that in Brewer and Austin Jackson. My conclusion here is I still think he sees a good paycheck just because the value at a position where everybody in the league needs a James Daniels to spite the injury, all thirty two teams could use him, He's going to hit the market. I think they have two rookies that played well last year. They have Isaac Samalu who's owed eight million dollars this year and doesn't have any wickle room on that contract, so I believe they get out of the James Daniels business. I think that he you know, spotrack projects at eight million apy I would do that today despite the knee injury.
Speaker 2: Next guy will freeze.
Speaker 1: This guy man top notch finisher, physical, expends, maximum effort. He's a former seventh round draft pick, and he plays like it. I don't think that goes away because that's just who he is, in my opinion, exceptional leg drive. If you want to improve your short yard opportunities, here, this guy's another fit for you. His hand usage has just gotten better every year, and he was a true stud for them at right guard each of the last two years. He was a non starter his first two years.
Speaker 2: His ability to.
Speaker 1: Strike and latch and then contort his body, hip toss, throw his big butt into the gap and seal that thing off. It all stands out on tape. He is exceptional in past sets where he settles in and then can kind of generate the force from the base up for the initial surge. It's all connected, it's all wired together. It's really good technique and fundamentals. Then he has a really strong redirect to get back into shape for their secondary move. He's a mean, mean finisher too. My conclusion here, I think I figured out what my priority is here with this player and the next player. I think the market projections on Freeze is maybe a little bit too low. I think he's probably closer to Rob Hunt than he is to a ten million dollars per year player. We'll see what he gets. He's a weapon and pass pro in terms of helping against four man rushes when he has, you know, no declared rusher in his gap. He's a stud. I loved his tape. I love Will Hernantez's tape too. If we sign him, I'm going to dance, not just because I think he's a really good player. I think he is a good player, but it signals a shift in the business of operation. It signals the usage of more power, more inside zone, more of a wide menu in the running game, because you watch the way he gets out of a stance, that first step. Compared to Beckton or Daniels, it's not the same. It's a sun dial comparatively in terms of the speed, but it's good enough to keep your outside zone package. In hell, it's better than the last two guys we had last year. And he's a real ass kicker in tight quarters. He makes an impact on combo blocks, he finishes through the echo of the whistle, and man, watch the way defenders react to him.
Speaker 2: They hate him.
Speaker 1: He would bring a mentality I think we've missed here, a Richie incognito of sorts, minus all the abuse and bad character. He's so strong and can really hold a combo at the point of attack, to attach, disengage, climb to the second level, and you see that in pass pro as well. He has plenty of sand in his pants to drop into his past sets. This might be the guy man tough scheme. Diverse enough pretty reliable. Had an injury last year, but had been iron man good prior to that. The guy stays on blocks, and man, we have backs that can make that a very dangerous run game. If you can just stay on blocks, surge, finishing good enough, and outside zone and pass pro. You put him in in a pen, if you at right guard, if you sign him tomorrow. Tevin Jenkins real talk. I have to walk back my take on Jenkins. He's a ball of the same issues we've had here. He's always hurt. His tape has completely hit or miss. Yes, there are some big highlights, but his batting outage is way too low to be counted upon. And the misses at that spot with the B line to your quarterback and injury prone quarterback at that is not something I'm willing to dish out good money for fun tools and a fit in an ideal world. If he gets all this stuff together with a tape and lack of availability, that's just too jarring. I would not offer him a contract. Last alphabetically here is Patrick McCarry. I am so curious where he winds up and how much he goes for because he's been in the league for four years or rather more than that. I think it's six years at this point and has perfected his craft and technique. His hand placement is exceptional, never a wasted step. He bends at the knees with ease, not like he's lifting baxas and everything. He plays with enough of a nasty finisher to be a starter. But I also wonder if he's signed as a sixth man, like that's what he's always been. The conclusion here, he's He's played every single position on the offensive line. He's been the extra offensive lineman off the bench. He filled an admirably at left tackle for Ronnie Stanley over many injuries that he suffered. I think somebody pays him to be a starter, but I kind of want to sign like him and Freeze and Hernandez and just be done on the offensive line. My interior rankings are my top three could be any any ordery you want. I'm gonna I'm gonna put Will Freeze at the top. I think he's just on top of the other guys because of the technique and fundamentals and availability. I'll go Mackai Beckton second, James Daniels third, Austin Corbett fit fourth, and then will Hernandez fifth, a bit of a line there of demarcation, not much of one, and then Patrick McCarry and then a huge line of demarcation with Tevin Jenkins and Aaron Banks. I did not work up Josh Myers or Bradley Boseman because I'm not moving Brewer to guard. I also did not work up Nate Herbig. I think the Steelers bring him back. And see, here's the thing. I think six of these guys are pretty damn good players, and there's enough there for a shot for number seven and eight if you want to go depth or possibly compete against a rookie. I am really really curious to see how this market shakes out. Man, If you think about like a budget of like ten or twelve million dollars at the spot, would you rather get like McCarry or rather McKai Beckton, I should say, or James Daniels or sign like both of Freeze and Hernandez if you can do it. I kind of want to go the deeper route because if you get a certain level of baseline play at this position, it's good enough and you can really excel in that way, so be cost efficient, but also like get good players too, So there's two ways to do this thing.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take a break. Come back on the other side.
Speaker 1: I'm going to talk about some mock drafts and we'll get right back into the draft class at the guard position.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 1: Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation.
Speaker 5: It's time for another edition of the Lavish twin Field Mock Draft Generator of four thousand, casculating data.
Speaker 1: If it is not obvious by now, we are trying to not take ourselves too seriously on the show. I get the sense that this is a lot of information and players you haven't heard a lot about on this podcast. I want to break it up with stuff like that, just to kind of keep everybody engaged. And that was about as silly as I possibly can go. I thought the fart noise tied the whole thing together. But I did want to talk about the mock Draft Generator of four thousand, the Wavish Stringfield edition, and just gonna do this every once every couple of weeks around the show and just kind of give you some different options of what it might look like, because again, this draft class is deeper at most spots than it is top heavy and there's so many ways it could go. So I have three mock drafts I put together here to round out some possible needs, and we'll get back into the guard class here in just one second, and it goes like this. The first one, Tyler Warren the Penn State tight end, Donovan Jackson the Ohio State guard tackle, Lathan Ransom from Ohio State the safety my third round, and then I have Quinn Shawn Judkins and Kyle Williams, the running back from Ohiose State and wide receiver from Washington State Go Koog's in the fourth round. So that's my white tight end, my starting guard, my starting safety, a good running back compliment, and a receiver that I think can play right away as well. My next mock draft was Josh Shimmons, the tackle from Ohio State, who's the best tackle in the class to me coming off an acltair. Mason Taylor in the second, Jack Betch in the third round, Jordan Phillips the defensive tackle, and Jackson Slater, the guard from Sacramento who looks like a stud. We'll talk about him here in just a second. In the fourth round. So I have my tackle and guards starters right there, two rookies, which is gonna maybe be tough, but Slader probably competes with the free agent as well. My starting tight end Taylor. I think that Betch could be a starting receiver right away, and Jordan Phillips can be like a third rotational option on your defensive tackle position. My next one takes a d tackle first. Kenneth Grant. We'll talk about him on Friday. What a monster he is. Nick Amana Worry from South Carolina State, the safety that looks like Derwin James Part two, Jalen Rivers, the guard from Miami in the third round, and then in the fourth round, tight end Jackson Hawes, and linebacker Jeffrey Bossa from Oregon. That's kind of like different ways of rounding out some of the needs you have with good football players. And if you notice, all these guys are like captain material, tough, smart football players that have pretty good medical histories, and I think all fit the bill for what this team needs. That's the first edition of the Wavisttringfield Mock Draft Generator four thousand. Here we'll do plenty of more of those. There are so many options. We'll cover all the permiations here as we go along. Let's go ahead and go right back. You know what time it is?
Speaker 2: In two?
Speaker 3: It's too wrenches, weak tuckles, guards, centers, offensive line play to tweek, gotch week for.
Speaker 1: A tweak.
Speaker 2: Tweek.
Speaker 1: It is entirely possible to have lost the thread on what the show is. But hey, let's talk some more football. Tyler Booker from Alabama. You heard Kyle talk about him yesterday on the show or Monday. Man, you want to change the temperament of your football team, you want to be a power zone combo attack, you get yourself five Tyler Bookers six foot five.
Speaker 2: Three hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 1: He moves like he's six foot two, three hundred natural knee bend that allows him to engulf rushers without much movement. He'll keep your pocket clean and knock heads off in the off the football. In the running game, he can basically set where he just starts by widening his base and then he creates a tough angle for rushers from either side. And if you rush him down the middle, you will go nowhere fast unless maybe you're Zach Seeler or someone that strong. But I think he's strong enough to contend with that, and the feat just keep going. I think the world of him. That knee bend is consistent across all other parts. He can extend his hips to displace guys at the point of attack. He plays with exceptional pad level and really explodes excuse me out of his stance opposed to popping up. He's one of the best guard prospects I think we've had in a while. The twenty twenty five range in the first round is where I think about his name coming off the board. Gray's Abel from North Dakota State made more money at the Senior Bowl than anybody else. I know Colorado wasn't a beacon of trench play, but go back and watch him in that opener when they went totoe with a big ten team on the road, he was mauling guys, creating lanes for the bison to trample through. I've not seen a prospect in this class with the better understanding of the relationship of body parts, how one part moves and it affects the different part of your body and make that next move possible Again. Golfers out there, you know that when you're on a hill, you want to adjust your plane of your shoulders to match the angle of the hill. He can sink on one side and adjust that plane as he needs to to redirect and keep himself technically aligned at all times. He is a smooth mover. He's run every scheme you can think of. Because NDSU has a seventy to thirty run pass split, he can scoop pinpole, duo, catch and climb.
Speaker 2: He is so damn smart.
Speaker 1: He knows the front and what he wants to accomplish against that front, and then from there he can get to his landmarks with anticipation and brute physicality. He sinks into his anchor and pass pro consistently fights until his hand placement is pristine. He played an FCS National Championship game two weeks prior to the Senior Bowl, then goes out there and competes against the nation's best and barely lost a rep. If there wasn't a unicorn in front of him. He is interior o line one. I bet he goes in the back of round one like Graham Barton did. I think he is a can't miss prospect. I project him the top forty, but I think he goes in the first round. Marcus Bo from Purdue. I think Bo could go in the first round, especially to a team and a Shanahan Tree. I just like the other parts of this class even more. I think he's a tackle in some places, guard in some but man, his pad level, kickslide range, ability to get out in space, it all pops off. I think he's a little bit slippery on that back foot when it comes time to anchor, but he's such a damn technician. He's got bluffs for all the moves that I've not really seen on tape this year, like bluff jump set, bluff snatch trap. He has guys heads spinning out there, and he messes with their pass rush plans. The more I watch of him, the more I think I made a mistake moving him inside to this episode. I think I might be too low on him. I'm not gonna go back and put the toothpaste back in the two, but he might be a Round one tackle and I might have gotten this one wrong. Number four Donovan Jackson, Ohio State. This is always fluid. I'm always like learning more and changing my thoughts in terms of what I see with more information. Donovan Jackson, Ohio State. Him and Josh Simmons had the best chemistry I've maybe ever seen a left tackle left guard combo in college football. Length, feel for space, control of his climb to the second level, all tracks for a high level, start hard at the next level, and you play damn well for the national champions. I think you draft this guy and he's your sixth man at four spots right away, and they're supreme value in that because he's gonna play because there's always injuries. Most of all, I just like the feel of when he's sifting for landmarks and responsibilities and outside his own runs. Go watch all the Trayvon Henderson or Quinn Shawn Judkins big runs and chances are a big seventy six makes a key block at the point of attack.
Speaker 2: He can play a little bit high in pass pro.
Speaker 1: I think he's a bit inconsistent in his hand placement, but I'm confident he's cut from the cloth to really develop those traits. The other stuff is so good that you're willing to draft him a little bit higher and work with him, kind of like Patrick Paul, who we just saw get better with every single rep that he took. He has the length and strength man thirty four inch arms, powerful upper body. I think he's a second round pick all day long. Number five at the guard positions, Jalen Rivers from Miami. I'm having a hard time placing Jalen. I like him inside a guard more than tackle. I think his sets and punch really translate in there, and the length he has allows him to cut things off and could make things even easier on a smallish center like Aaron Brewer who doesn't really need the help. But there's value there in how his length creates better connectivity inside. If you take Rivers, I think it indicates you intend to be a little bit more diverse in your scheme because this is more of a bully in small spaces. There's some sheer power, move you against your will type of reps, and this guy finishes man. If you want to move a one technique in short yardage like I talked about in free agency, this is your guy. He loves to get his arms on guys in lock out. I think some of the better NFL hand usage rushers can give him issues by swiping and getting him a bit bent over his skis. But again I go back to Patrick Paul. He can lose a rep, but because of the size and length and strength combo, he can still win it, and then from there you clean things up. You could be looking at an elite player when it all comes together in two or three years. I project him on Day two. Number six is Jackson Slater from Sacramento State. That's right, your boy got eyes in the Sack State film. I think when Slater gets into the NFL program and has all day to eat and lift weights, he's going to become a plus starter. His technique is fantastic. He's got all kinds of sets and different draws, you know, punches that he can throw to pull out rushers, moves ahead of time and attack when they're off balanced. I think he loses a little bit of ground on power and could stand to have a little more drive to his head up blocks, but he really makes up for it with smarts and grip strength where he can really attack attached to a block. He's got some damn good center tape too. I think he's an immediate six man and someone started by twenty twenty six. Late day pick from late Day two pick for me Tate Ratledge from Georgia. There's some bully ball on tape. One of the best processors I've watched in this draft class. He was so smooth passing off games and feeling like, you know, like when you need to hit that w drill and the combine stick, you're foot in the ground, get back to the opposite direction. He smoothed that way, had some really good blocks off the edge, and they pulled him playside. But I think his pad level and coordination and flexibility are all subpar, and that's a tough pill swallow in this offense. I'm pretty out on him and our next guy here on this list. As far as Miami Dolphins goes, I do think he'll be a late day two pick. And that's why att Milum here from West Virginia. There's a toughnesssh element to his game. He's versatile, and I think I attract teams at the top of Day three. I am just not one of those teams. I see dead feet upon contact. I see a wastebender where he gets way out over the top and can lose reps easily that way. I see him falling off blocks. He reminds me of Liam Eikenberg. You're gonna see clips of him bullying guys. But I think this is a classic great college offensive lineman, not technically refined enough to be good at the next level, and I don't think he has the traits to help him get by while he learns. Again, I think he's this year's Liam Miikeenberg. Digging out the Northern Illinois Illinois Wide nine is not the same as digging out Miles Garrett. On the front side. He's a Day three pick for me all day long, and probably closer to the back end of that.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: That's the Guards, the mock draft generator, whatever the hell I called it. And on Friday, we're going to the defensive tackle position, talk about the free agent class, draft class, our own guys, talk about the Super Bowl, one game left, all of that in the heck of a lot more. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple where you your podcasts from. Leave us a rating, leave us a review, Follow me on social at Wingfold NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. The Jason Taylor episode was Hall of Fame good and last but not least Themiami Dolphins dot Com, as well as the YouTube channel for Dolphins, HQ Media Availabilities Caroline Camera and Daddy.
Speaker 2: He's coming home.