Speaker 1: No one is more excited for the new iPhone software than Google. I'll explain an AI necklace that wants to be your new best friend, and get ready to pay for software upgrades to unlock new features on your car. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology, you need some help with something, You need an app recommendation, you need a website, anything you can think of. I am here for you. Email also an option. Just go to Rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact guests. This week, we're going to talk to a guy named Peter Moore. He is a former gaming industry executive and he says the Apple Watch saved his life. He will explain then later on in the show, we've got Ken Coleman, work expert. He's gonna discuss AI's impact on the job industry and how you can best prepare for the upcoming changes. Well, thanks for tuning in once again. My name is Rich DeMuro. Glad to have you here. I wanted to talk this week a little bit about air tags and Apple's network versus Google's new network. So air tags came out a couple of years ago. These are little devices that help you track your stuff. You can put them on your luggage, you can put them on your keys, you can put them inside your wallet. But now Google has their own network called the Find My Device Network. So Apples is called the Find My Network. Google's is called the Find My Device Network. Now they're very similar, but they do have some differences. So they're both crowdsourced. Apple's network uses hundreds of millions of nearby Apple devices to help you find your stuff. So basically, when an air tag is near an Apple device, it says, oh, I see that air tag noted, we know its location, And when the owner of that air tag tries to look it up, it says, yeah, we remember, this thing's right over here, and that's how you find it. So it's all anonymous, it's all anonymous, it's all crowdsourced, but that's how it works. So some people were asking when I presented this on TV, they said, wait a second, like, how far away can you be from these devices and still find them. There's no built in GPS on these devices. It's all crowdsourced, and it's pretty brilliant because there's so many Apple devices in our world. Anytime one of these air tags or accessories comes near one, the location is updated.
Speaker 2: So that's how it works.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The Google network is very similar. It uses Bluetooth technology and it uses over a billion Android devices to help help you find your little tags. Now, the interesting thing you need to know is that these two networks are not interchangeable. So an air tag does not work with Google's network. Anything that works with Google's find My network does not work with Apple's network, not yet.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Maybe there will be some devices in the future that work with both. That'd be a good idea, but right now they are individual. So air tags were the first, but there are many more. And when it comes to Google, it's been kind of a rough start for that network because it was delayed to begin with, and then the devices that are coming out and the network are all being delayed.
Speaker 2: For some reason.
Speaker 1: So a lot of these things were announced back in May, and now we're looking at the end of August for the ship date for a lot of these. But I have tested some of them, and I'm going to go over some of these different devices that I think you should take a look at. The main thing to know about these two networks is that they do work together to identify unknown trackers near you, no matter what network they're on. Let me give you an example. Let's say you were an Android and your significant other had an iPhone and let's say on their key tag they had an air tag. So for after a couple of days, your phone might say, hey, there's this and they're with you all the time. It might say, hey, we've noticed that this tracker is following you, and you might get that alert on your Android phone because this air tag is near you and traveling with you. I've seen that happen with me and my wife before. It's kind of annoying, and I think they're gonna There's got to be a way to sort of set an allow list, which means you can say, hey, this air tag is going to be traveling with me a lot, please ignore that. I don't need you to send me a notification every time you see that. But this sort of unknown tracker alert is obviously an addition to this network or both of these networks because of stalking and you know people using these to track people that don't realize it, so that is built in as well. But how do you use these networks? You basically put these little devices on on your stuff, and then when you need to find them, you open up the app on your phone. On a Apple it is the find my app. On Google, it's the find my Device app, which you do have to download. It's not pre installed on Android phones just yet. You open it up and it will show you where your little devices are, and then of course you can ring make them make a sound. A lot of these things have built in audio alerts, so you can say, okay, ring my device and it will help you locate it that way. Other times you can use what's called precision finding. If you have a newer iPhone, it actually will lead you right to the device as well. That's another way. But there's you know the basics of these devices are all the same. They use crowdsourcing to find them. The battery life lasts about a year, sometimes two years. And the main thing to know is that some of these devices have a replaceable battery, which is great, some of them have a rechargeable battery, which is even better, and some of them do not have a user replaceable battery at all. So these are all things to kind of consider when you're looking for one of these devices. So let me go over some of the devices and accessories that I've tested out that I think are pretty cool. Number one the classic air tag. This has been around for a couple of years now. People are very familiar with them. It's a small device, you attach it to your stuff and then you can find it using the iPhone or another Apple device. Let's see what else about the air tag. It's water resistant, you can replace the battery, it lasts for about a year. You can engrave them if you want put your initials on them. That is twenty nine dollars. Probably best to get the four pack, which is a better deal, and they often go on sale, so I would not pay full price for these. These are one of the few Apple products that regularly is discounted, not through Apple, but typically through a third party retailer like a best Buy or an Amazon so look for them when they're on sale, buy the four pack, put them on your stuff, your luggage, your keychain. And the thing you need to know about the air tags. Apple was very smart. Apple loves their accessories. So the air tag does not come with a built in way to attach it to anthing, So you have to either buy a little holster for it or some sort of key ring accessory and you can put it in there and attach it to stuff. Now, if you want to put one of these things on your kids or pet, they do make obviously a lot of pet callers and things like that, but for kids, there's something called Taga moles. Taga moles from a company named Speck. They make a lot of cases, and these are fun little characters. You pop an air tag in and then they attached to your child's backpack or sneakers. So Taga moles don't work by themselves to track things, but you put an air tag inside the Taga mole and you can put this on your child's sneaker or their backpack. They're kind of like fun little characters, animal characters, and a four pack is thirty five dollars. Those are great for back to school. Again, keep in mind, all this relies on crowdsourcing, so it's not like you can track your child in real time using these. It relies on someone's iPhone being nearby them to help you find them, but chances are there's going to be an iPhone nearby. I've been testing this wallet called the Groove Smart Wallet. This is really really cool and it's from a company called Groove Life, and it's this Groove Smart Wallet Trace. It's one hundred and twenty five dollars, so it is very expensive, but it's got the built in tracker for Apple's fine My network, so you don't have to add any tracker to this. The battery lasts for about two years. You've got RFID protection, so your cards you're not gonna automatically pay for stuff when you're in near a checkout counter. It's got a clip for cash, which is really great. It holds about six cards and I love how this thing works. I've been using this for about six weeks now, maybe more than that, and it's just fantastic. Comes with a ninety four year warranty on the wallet, so if anything happens to this thing, you can get a replacement, which is really really cool. Again, that's the Groove Smart Wallet Trace No mad. This is a great company to make a lot of great accessories. They have a wireless tracker that you can put in your own wallet. It's really thin, it's about the thickness of about two credit cards. It's compatible with apples find my Network. The battery on that when lasts about five months. This is forty dollars and you slip it into your current wallet so you can track your wallet. And the neat thing about this is that it's wirelessly rechargeable, so you can put it on any chi charger and it will juice up. Okay, Now, when it comes to the Android side of things, if you're on a Samsung, you can use what's called the Galaxy Smart tag too. Now, the thing to know about this is it has more features, but it's not compatible with Google's Fine mye network. See how this gets confusing. So Samsung's kind of doing their own thing. It uses all the Samsung phones to find it and it's a great little tracker, but you have to realize that it is limited by the Samsung devices. The good news is there's a lot of Samsung devices out there, so you'll probably be okay. Again with the smart tag, it's NFC enabled, so someone else can tap it and they can see the owner info. So you can set like your phone number, your email address, and they can just see that. AirTag has a similar feature as well. Samsung phones. You can double press the button on this smart tag to find your phone. So if your phone is lost, you can just press the button on the device and it will ring your phone. This is a thirty dollars device and that's a great way to go as well. Now when it comes to the Google devices for your Android, Chipolo makes the device that I tested out.
Speaker 2: They make two of them.
Speaker 1: One is called the Point it has a built in hole for your keyring. The other one's called the card Point. This is one that's thin enough to put inside your wallet, and they both function very similar to the air tags. Battery life lasts up to two years. The price starts at about twenty eight dollars, and again Chipolo makes them. And then Motorola just came out with what's called the Moto Tag. This looks just like an air tag. It's expected to ship later in August. And the neat thing about these Moto tags not only do they work with the fine my network on the Android side. But they also have the same kind of size and shape as an air tag, which means all of those air tag accessories that you use to hold them will also hold.
Speaker 2: This Moto tag.
Speaker 1: So that means there's a whole bunch of built in accessories that work from day one. All right, if you want more information on all of these tags, you can go to my website rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Coming up, I'm gonna tell you how you can.
Speaker 1: Free up space on your iPhone and Android really really fast.
Speaker 2: But first it is your turn. Give me a call.
Speaker 1: Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Richdmiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. So my guest DJ today is my mom. She is in town. Uh and so uh. She has picked all of the songs in today's show, or at least a majority of them, I think, so. Thanks Mom for the recommendations. She handwrote the note and sent it to me, so she still has great handwriting. I don't know how that's possible, because the new generation, like I can't write at all, Like my writing is so bad that it's just like undecipherable.
Speaker 2: And I'm not not even a doctor.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you how to free up space on your iPhone very quickly. So I'll tell you that in just a moment. For first, let's go to h Let's go to James and Pomona. James, you're on with Rich. Hello, Hello, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for giving my call.
Speaker 5: Basically, I'm shocking for your compact camera. And I've done a little bit of a research and yea, so many people out there. Good, we've used bad, We've used this one. The focus doesn't work, you know, and it's kind of driving me a little bit crazy. So you know what, I decided, let me go ahead and talk to the expert. So basically that's what I'm shopping for.
Speaker 1: So you're looking for a point and shoot camera. What's the reason for the point and shoot?
Speaker 4: Just you know, like tike tick pictures, like parchical tits, just you know, general, i'd tackle pictures.
Speaker 2: And you don't you don't want to use your smartphone.
Speaker 4: No, I prefer because the line of work ime in. You know, I don't want to sometimes you know, evidence and stuff like that. I don't want to use my personal form because they could be subina and then you know, see it's your girlfriend. Oyay, I come you guys hanging out over there. You know, so I want something kind of a separate from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, what what line of work are you in? Okay, got it. You don't want you don't want to mix the the the work and the play, got it exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, so it's been a while since I've used a point and shoot because most of the people I know have switched over to UH to UH, the smartphone taking over everything. In fact, the last holdout, one of the last holdouts was my father in law. He's a big, big camera guy, and he was going to like Europe or something a couple of years ago, and like, why why even taking your big camera, Just take your take your smartphone. You've got an iPhone, it'll be great, And he did it. It took a lot for him to not take his phone. So a couple places to look for the recommendations that you're looking for. The website's DP review. That's a very popular photography website. This was actually gonna shut down. Amazon took them over, and then another company actually bought them and kept them going. So they've got you can go into their reviews for their cameras and you can order by rating. So that's what I would do number one, and so you can see like this, this nkon Z eight is like their number one camera. Now, the problem with that camera is that it is very expensive and you probably don't want that one. It's way more than you need. So I think you're gonna have to go through this list and see which one of these phones, or which one of these phones, which one of these these cameras fit your budget. And I think that's a big part of the process heres is finding one that fits your budget. Do you want to get lenses on these things or do you just literally want like a point and shoot camera. So that's the second place to look, or the first place to look. Second place I would look Wirecutter obviously recommend them a lot. They've got their top five point and shoot cameras. This was updated in May, and so their top pick is a camera that a lot of folks like, the Sony RX one hundred. They're up to the five six seventh generation of that. That's the one that I That was probably the last point in shoot camera that I used, and I think I used the original version of it, so that was many many years ago, probably seven years ago at this point.
Speaker 2: That is a thirteen dollars camera.
Speaker 1: Then they've got the Panasonic Lumix and this is a five hundred dollars camera, looks like you it may come with a lens. I'm not sure on that one. They've got a Rico on their list, which is really good. And then a Fujifilm. Now the Fujifilm. I'll tell you, everyone's been going nuts over this new Fujifilm camera and it's the the X one hundred and six. It looks like and the YouTubers and the vloggers and everyone just seems to love this camera. So that that might be the first place. But I've heard it's tough to get too, so that might be a tricky one to get. But that's those are the two places I would look, and I would cross reference to reviews there. You can also look on Amazon at the top selling cameras there as well. And when it comes to features, I mean, obviously any of these are going to be fine for a point and shoot. I think it really comes down to how much do you want to pay? That is the most important part of the equation. Are you really looking to get something that's over one thousand dollars with different lenses and things like that, because once you start getting into that, that is like professional photography versus just what you said originally, point and shoot. So thanks for the question, James in Pomona. Appreciate your your service with the law enforcement there. Do appreciate you keeping us safe and thanks for the call. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one website for the show rich on tech dot TV. There you can go and sign up for the newsletter. You can see the stories that I do for TV, and you can send me an email. So if you go to the website rich on tech dot tv, there is a contact up at the top you can tap that.
Speaker 2: Send me an email.
Speaker 1: And if you want a link to something I mentioned, because I keep good notes here, just go to the website and tap the light bulb icon.
Speaker 2: All right coming up, right.
Speaker 1: After the break, I'll tell you how to free up space on your iPhone and Android fast. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here, I'll be honest. Guest mom, guest DJ's mom today. And I did not know this. I've heard this song obviously it's familiar, but I didn't know Chris Norman and Susie Quatro nineteen seventy eight rock duet. This became an international hit. It's a good song, stumbling in thanks mom.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So I got a seemingly simple question this week from someone at my work who said, hey, Rich, I just need to free up space on my iPhone. Should I get a new phone? I said, no, you shouldn't get a new phone, just free up the space. Or he said he's out of space. Should I get a new phone? I said, no, just free up the space. How oh, let me think about that, because there are apps that can do this, but they're not very straightforward.
Speaker 2: A lot of them are. You know, you got to pay money.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to find a free solution. So I said, give me a couple of minutes, let me go check out my phone and let me come back to you.
Speaker 2: And so here's what I found.
Speaker 1: If you want to free up storage very fast on your iPhone, the best way to do it is to delete a couple of large video files taking up space on your phone. So how do you find those files on iPhone? You can't just sort by largest video file, which would make a lot of sense, right, No, Apple doesn't let you do that. So how do you find the largest video files? You go into Settings, then you go into General, then you go into iPhone Storage and then you tap photos and then in there it will tell you how much your photos are taking up and it will say something at the bottom a suggestion that says review your videos, and you tap that and it will show you the largest files on your system. So delete a couple of the big files that you don't need, the large video files, and your space will be freed up. Keep in mind, because whatever's on your phone is also sync to iCloud. If you delete one of those large video files, it will also be deleted from iCloud. So only delete a file that you no longer need, or if it's backed up somewhere else, like in my instance, everything's backed up to Google Photos, so that's fine. So it's a little tricky to find, but I will put the instructions on the website, Rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's just it's more, it's more work than you would think to do this, and it's easy once it's there. Some people told me that this review, your videos option is not in that area. So I think if that is not there, you don't have enough big videos on your phone to free up in Apple's not sure triggering that little suggestion, and so.
Speaker 2: The video situation is really easy.
Speaker 1: So do this before you have like a big event, like I've been to countless kids plays and performances and recitals and whatever where I'm seeing parents and that message on their phone in front of me literally says you're out of space on your iPhone. Don't let that happen to you before you go to one of these events. Free up a couple of gigabytes by deleting a large video or two. Now you might be saying, Rich, what about Android. It's much easier on Android, much much easier on Android. So on the Samsung devices, and actually this is for any any device that's on Android. All you have to do is download the Google I know. I said, I want to do this without an extra app, but Google makes it so easy with this files app.
Speaker 2: So if you download the Google Files app, it's free.
Speaker 1: You'll just see as soon as you download it and open it up, it says all your categories downloads, images, videos, audio, documents apps go into videos, and then you can just sort by there. It is largest first, so largest video first. I've got a video here that's one point five to seven gigabytes. It even shows me how big the gigabytes are on my device. I can tap that video and then I can go ahead and move to trash and it is going to be gone now. Again, android's a little bit different than the iPhone, so if you're using something like Google Photos, even if you delete that source file off your phone, it's still going to stay inside Google Photos, which is I kind of like that about Google Photos, but just an easy way to do that. If you have a Samsung you don't want to delete, if you don't want to download anything extra, you can actually use the My Files app to do the same thing. It's a little a little bit less straightforward, but it's pretty much the same thing. You open up the My Files app, you tap videos, and then there's a little in the upper right hand corner. You can sort by size and then just make the arrow so that it's pointing down so the largest file will be at the top. What I like about Google Files versus the Samsung files is that Google Files shows you how big that file is right on the thumbnail, so you can get an idea of just how big that file is when you delete it.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: These instructions on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to Steven in Los Angeles. Steven, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 6: Rich, this is a call regarding the test the vehicle, since I know you've had a good experience with one for over the years. I bought the new twenty four Highland and I have to use the auto drive quite often. Ninety percent of the time. It works very well, but some minor errors could sometimes occur, and I want to know if you ever know a way to correct those errors.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: I've been because I've been using these self driving like almost exclusively now for like ninety percent of my driving. But it does make errors. It does make errors, and especially and this is something I've noticed. I'm not sure if you have, but on one of my drives that I do very often. It wants to take an exit that I would not take for that drive, Like it wants to exit let's say two exits before the street that I would take, and I have not figured out a way to program it and say, please do not take this exit, take this exit. And you would think after driving it every day, it would learn from your pattern of like turning off the autopilot and then taking that exit. But it doesn't seem to learn from that. So I think at this point, the only thing that you can do.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've.
Speaker 1: Noticed, but if you take it out of autopilot, it will give you a message that says, hey, we just noticed you took your car out of autopilot. Do you want to send us a message to our engineers to tell us why. And I think that's your opportunity to say, hey, this car tried to drive on a left, tried to make a left in front of traffic that was coming at me, Like, hey, fix that.
Speaker 2: But that's the only thing that I've seen.
Speaker 1: There's no real way to like kind of manually change the way the car noticed.
Speaker 6: That kind of message. But yesterday, on a next to a cyber truck. It got so scared of it. It started onking and beeping and stuff, and it was just I don't know what happened, but I rely on it in ninety percent of the time. As I said, it's it's very good, especially on a freeways. Oh yeah, changes and yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's gotten a lot, it's gotten a lot better. I'll be honest, when I'm next to a cyber truck, I'm just as scared.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, those things are imposing, they're big, They've got that big light in front, and you know that's a statement car. If you're driving the cyber truck, you are making a statement in this world, and more power to you. But I will say I think that you know, I did my kind of a review of the self driving on the Tesla when it first came out, and I kind of knocked it and I said it was horrible. And now I will take that back, and I will say, I think ninety five percent of the time it is incredible. It takes a lot of the stress off of driving, especially in a city like Los Angeles where it's like a lot of stop and go, and even on like city streets and side streets. It does a good job. It's not perfect, but I think that the momentum we're seeing with the progression of this technology is really good, and they keep coming out with software updates to make it better.
Speaker 6: So yeah, those updates, I've noticed that they're incredibly useful and they do make a difference. And one question I have do you normally sit your speed at speed limit of the streets in the highways or do you go more or less? Or how do you manage yours?
Speaker 1: You know, I usually so, I'm actually a very kind of slow, methodical driver, and so I kind of like that. If anything, I might set it to go a couple miles over the speed limit. But I've also noticed, I don't know if you've seen this, but the Tesla will automatically speed up based on the flow of traffic. So if you're in an area where people are going a lot faster than the typical they will also it will also notice that and speed up. So okay, but look, you know my advice to you, Steven, how long have you had the car since April?
Speaker 6: Believe it or not. I was waiting for the twenty fourth to come out and new body and all that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's it's nice. How do you like the shifting, because I know they took away the stalk.
Speaker 6: You you get used to it, and it's just a matter of getting used to it, that's all. And initially it was like where's my gears?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've got the old version, so I'm not you know, and I'm not up for a new one anytime soon, so I'm sticking with the old waiting for that model why Refresh to come out, and that will be probably next year sometime and maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll take a look at that. Steven, thanks for the call today.
Speaker 6: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy I always think that the Teslas, and I'm not I'm surprised they haven't figured this out, but I feel like they should talk to each other. Since they're kind of like the main self driving cars on the road right now, they should have some sort of like communication. Like that cyber truck that was getting near or too close to Steven's Tesla. It'd be cool if the if his Tesla can kind of send a message saying, hey, get back in your lane or whatever. But maybe that car wasn't on autopilot. Great question today, eighty to eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. We'll get some more of your calls in a moment. Plus, I'm gonna tell you why new software for the iPhone is coming out in September. And guess who's the most excited about it. It is Google. I'll explain why coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call eight eight eight rich one oh one.
Speaker 2: The website rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: We were talking about cars just before the break, and Ford is doing something interesting which we've seen before, but I think we're going to see this more and more with the new Mustang mock E. This is their electric car. You can get an extra one hundred pound don't know how you say that, one hundred pound feet of torque for an extra thousand bucks. So this is a software upgrade that unlocks more performance on your car. How wild is that? So the car can apparently do this, but it's just software locked, so the upgrade reduces the zero to sixty times from three point eight seconds to three point three seconds. And the upgrade can be just purchased, you know, when you're buying the car or through the app. But this is this is becoming more and more common that cars are. They have features that are there, the hardware there, you just have to pay to unlock it. So for a thousand bucks you can make your Mustang Machi EV even faster.
Speaker 2: That's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: I know on the Tesla you can upgrade a couple things like obviously the self driving but that's not a performance based thing, but things like heated seats, and I remember BMW had that as well. And I think that this is just going to be something we see more and more because they want to make a car with all these features, but they want everyone wants these subscriptions, and they want the add ons and they want the unlocks.
Speaker 2: So we're going to see that more and more.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that the new software for the iPhones coming out in September iOS eighteen, and who do you think is most excited for this?
Speaker 2: It's actually Google.
Speaker 1: They put out an ad this week, a video saying we can't wait for ourcs RCS support coming to the new iPhone, well the iPhone software. So what does that mean. RCS is rich Communication Service and that means that the iPhone and the Android messaging is finally going to be a level playing field.
Speaker 2: So when you text someone.
Speaker 1: From an Android or an iPhone or vice versa, you can text high resolution photos and videos.
Speaker 2: They will no longer look like a postage stamp.
Speaker 1: Improved group chat so you can add people, people can leave the group chats whether they're on Android or iPhone.
Speaker 2: That's a huge deal.
Speaker 1: Then there's also read receipts and typing indicators, so when your friend is on Android or iPhone or vice versa, you'll be able to see when they're typing and when they've read stuff. This is a huge deal. Beta users already have access. I have tried this out. It is great, and the message bubble on Android is still going to be green if you're looking at it on an iPhone. But you know what, I think this is a huge win for the Android side of things, and I think that's why Google's so excited, because Apple was holding this back, and they held it back for a reason. The reason is that it makes androids seem oh, they're not as bad as we thought they are. So I think think by having people be able to message each other in this same way, it will finally take that stigma away from the Android side of things. Now, I will tell you, when it comes to young folks, they still are all about the iPhone and it's all because of the messaging, the group chats, the blue bubble. Apple has really doubled down on this, like you have to be in it to win it, with the I message situation, and it's something that I really fault them for because I think that technology should be should create a level playing field and technology, the best technology works across various brands and manufacturers, and Apple has continually built this ecosystem up of their own stuff, and so it's kind of it's everything benefits Apple. And if you look at the other things in the world that you know, especially Android and Windows and all that stuff, it's you know, there's various manufacturers making stuff, and Apple some of the reason why their stuff works so well is because they control it all from start to finish, from the software to the hardware. But again they kind of control that methodology of hey, you got to have everything.
Speaker 2: Apple you got to have everything.
Speaker 1: iPhone got to have, you know, the AirPods and the iPhone and the Apple Watch and the iPad for it to all work perfectly. Whereas if you're on an Android you can choose. You can pick and choose from a bunch of different manufacturers. You may have headphones from one company, you may have a smart watch from another company. You may have a tablet from another company, and your phone from Google, Samsung or someone else. So anyway, that's exciting. I think for the messaging side of things, that's going to be really great. Let's go to Robert in Michigan. Robert in Michigan, you're on.
Speaker 7: With Rich Rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: I saw my eyesight five years ago and I bought an iPhone success us voiceover and it's worked really good, no problems, except for when you get to a website doesn't navigate real well, I don't have anybody here to help show me you know what am I missing? But here's my beast who's going to use voiceover but a blind person. So what happens is things pop up on the screen, you touch it, and then it shuts off. So what does a blind guy do with a phone that he doesn't talk anymore. I mean you would think an engineer would say, well, if you're going to put on voiceover, don't let these things pop up and you touch it and it goes off.
Speaker 3: What do you mean pop up?
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that pop up? Like like a website pop up or something on the phone?
Speaker 7: No, like things like you know, like things to help you navigate the phone. And you know, they got things like the screen curtain and if you don't know the little trick to get it back on, you know, stuff like that. Well, personally, once you put voiceover, who's going to use voiceover? And unless they're blind, I mean, I'm sure there might be another use. But so once that voiceover is on, they should just put a little line in there says once this is on, other things might not work or shouldn't work, because you're like sitting in dead the water. If you touch something in your home alone and your voiceover shuts off, and I've had it happen, it's you know, it's so that's the only beat. But otherwise it works really good.
Speaker 3: And has it got personal?
Speaker 1: Has it gotten better in the time you've used it? You said you've had this. How many years have been have you been using it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: I've been using it for five years?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? And has it gotten better over the years or has it kind of stayed the same.
Speaker 7: Well, it's happened like maybe three times over the year, three or four times. But it's not like it's a big deal. But when you can't see and this is your holding phone and it shuts it off, you know, you know what I mean, You're like, what do you do if you touch it and nothing? You know, the only way you know how to use it? And if you touch it and it tells.
Speaker 2: You, and so what do you do in that situation?
Speaker 7: I wait, somebody comes over, push it, try to you know, if you Usually I gotta wait till someone comes over and so they can see the screen and push the right button and turn voiceover back on. I've asked. I've asked Theiri a number of times. Can you turn voiceover on? I can't do that. But then again, I've I've tried to send some funny emails, you know, a little joke, and she'll come back and say that's not very nice.
Speaker 9: Yes, well I'm making a joke.
Speaker 2: Hey, no judging me, Siri. If I want to send a joke. I want to send a joke.
Speaker 7: But well, listen, I was at a store.
Speaker 10: I called in AI.
Speaker 7: I'm going round and round. So when I finally got to somebody, I said, hey, just whoever is concerned? AI. You know what, I don't like it. I mean, it's good, God, it's places, it's wonderful, but you're going round and round and I want to just talk to somebody. You're asking the questions and it's coming up. Yeah, asked K you No, I don't want to ask K. I just need that the guy you have this and time. But anyway, I don't want to complain. I'm I'm actually a luddite. I got rid of Wi Fi and all that when I lost my eyes. I don't know if it's psychological.
Speaker 1: And I'm not on the computer, aid hob I gotta I gotta run, Robert, we're taking all right. Hey, they're teaching. You're taking me to break. Thanks for the call today.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love the the.
Speaker 2: I love the endorsement. You're listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Tomuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Welcome to the show the website Rich on tech dot TV. The phone number eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Get those questions about technology in right now. We'll get to the phone lines in just a moment. Coming up in this hour Peter Moore, a former gaming industry executive. He is gonna explain how the Apple Watch saved his life. It is a wild story. And uh, after you hear it, you might want to get a wearable because it really did, really did change things for him. The hidden cost of cell phone plans. Oh sorry, so many, so many emails coming in. Let's see here. Let me get to this. Brian first said, Hey, Rich, I'm a regular listener. The music today is great. Your mother rocks stumbling in. I haven't heard that one for a long time. Hire her, thank you, Brian. I don't think we have the budget to hire her, but if we did, yes, she'd be hired. Mark says the cyber truck has no autopilot or full self driving just yet, supposedly pending a software update.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's interesting. Didn't realize that.
Speaker 1: And let's see here, and let's see Steve says, in response to the caller, who was losing speech on his iPhone and no way to turn voiceover back on. I just wanted to mention that Android has a way to do this on Android phones, go into accessibility and enable the shortcut to turn on or off talkback. I have mindset to toggle this when I hold down both volume keys, so talkback is kind of like the Android version of the voiceover feature on the iPhone. It is really incredible the amount of effort to these companies put into accessibility features on the iPhone and Android. If you go into that section of the phone, there are so many helpful features, no matter what you know is going on with you, whether it's a physical disability or I don't think they have it for mental disabilities just yet, but maybe that's coming in the future we may need that. But anyway, thanks for the email. Steven in Durham, North Carolina. Appreciate that, all right. The hidden cost of cell phone plans people are spending. Americans are overspending by fifteen hundred dollars annually. New survey from whistleout dot com, this website that helps you kind of compare the different carrier plans. They said the average American spends one hundred and fifty seven dollars a month on a plan from a major carrier. But if you have an mv and O plan one of those mobile virtual network operators, those cost around thirty dollars a month on average, so the average person could save about fifteen hundred dollars a year by switching. But fifty three percent of consumer have a cell phone plan through one of the big three Verizon, T Mobile or AT and T. Forty seven percent are now on an MV and O. Seventy six percent of consumers have an unlimited phone plan, but sixty three percent of people use less than fifteen gigabytes of data per month, and a majority of people with unlimited data plans are on Wi Fi most of the time. So when you hear all this, you would say, well, why don't people switch? Why don't they switch to a smaller cell phone carrier? Brand loyalty? Okay, I mean, what do these companies do for you except raise your bill?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Americans are overspending by two hundred and eleven billion dollars every year, and they take it out over a lifetime. If you switch to one of these MV and o's eighty five thousand dollars you'd save over your lifetime. So here's the deal. What's the deal with these mv and os? People always ask like, should I switch to one? The main ones that come to mind are Visible that's owned by Verizon, Mint Mobile that.
Speaker 2: Was owned by Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Now it's owned by T Mobile, AT and T owns Cricket, And there's a whole bunch of other ones out there.
Speaker 2: So why would you switch? I think you should.
Speaker 1: If you have a bill that is very expensive and you don't want to spend that much, go with one of these mv and o's. The coverage is the same. It's it's Verizon, it's they all ride on one of these big networks, whether it's Verizon, T Mobile, or AT and T. And if you're curious which one they work on, just google it and just say, like, you know, what what network is Visible on? What network is Mint Mobile on? What network is Cricket on? What network is Mobile Xon? And they will they will reveal that usually in Wikipedia. I did this for my wife. I switched her to one of the mv and o's a couple months ago. It took exactly twenty minutes, saved us about forty five dollars a month on her bill. The coverage is pretty much the same, no complaints. And the main thing to know about these plans is that not all of the mv and o's support a smart watch. So if you have a smart watch with a data connection, like a cellular Apple Watch or an LTE Android Watch, a lot of the mv and os do not support that, so you have to be careful if you're switching. Oh wait, my Apple Watch isn't gonna have cellular anymore, no, so check that before. The other thing you don't get is you don't get some of these perks like the Netflix, you know, and all these different things like the music, free music, whatever. But I think the savings are worth it. So if you're considering a switch, I say go for it. You can always switch back. It's very easy. They make it a little scary because you have to figure out you know your your pin number for your account, you have to enter your information if you want to pour it over your phone number. But it literally took me twenty minutes my wife's phone number. It went from one carrier to the other carrier within twenty minutes, and we saved forty five dollars a month. The other thing that's interesting is a lot of these carriers that are the smaller mv and os, they'll let you pay by credit card, whereas all these like main carriers, the T Mobiles, the Verizons, the AT and T's, they're all pushing people to pay through their checking accounts. And the reason I don't like that is because their bills can can fluctuate. You get a big roaming charge. Next thing you know, your bill could be more. And with the with the mv and O is there's really no there's really no surprise charges with them because it's it's kind of an all on one thing. So there you go. Just got another email from Nancy. Nancy says, I love Mom's music too. Wow, I guess Bobo, we got to hire Mom. Let's go too. Do we have time to take a call. Let's see, Yeah, I think we do. Let's go to Carmen Carmen in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Carmen, you're all with Rich. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Hi, thank you. I have a problem with Google. I have a pham where I don't use it with the service I'm only using to work on docs and emails. But now I'm being blocking from Google because I have no manor storage. I kept throwing away videos, pictures, and a lot of gmails, but I still don't have a space. They are saying that I should buy it or empty. But if I'm being empty and empty and empty and I don't and I still don't get it, do I have a nail? The option? How to do dogs on my phone without Google? Or without how to pay Google?
Speaker 2: What kind of phone do you have?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got your your Google comes with fifteen gigabytes of free storage, and you're saying that's completely filled up. Okay, Well this is their plan. By the way, I mean, why do you think they give free Gmail, free Google Photos, free Google Docs. The whole idea is to get you to put all your stuff inside their cloud storage. They know one day that cloud storage is gonna, you know, be full, and now they say, oh, for two more bucks a month, you can now have one hundred gigs versus fifteen.
Speaker 2: So that's the plan.
Speaker 1: Many people, you know, they don't mind paying because they have all their stuff in there. But once you're invested in these cloud storage you know you want to stick with them for a long time. And that's what Google knows. So you said you cleared out some files and things. Have you gone to the website one dot Google dot com. Okay, that's where I want you to go, So tell me okay, O n E dot Google dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay. And so when you.
Speaker 1: Go there, it will show you on that page how much storage you're using. So, for instance, I'm using sixty four sixty four percent of my five terabytes that I pay for, so that's a lot. And so I'm at sixty four percent, and then it says clean up space, and it says to me, I've got five hundred and fifty five gigabytes that I can clean up. So you tap that and it will show you all of the breakdown. So I can see that I've got three terabytes in Google Photos, I've got one hundred and fifty gigabytes in Google will Drive, I've got forty gigabytes of Gmail, I've got a nine hundred and fifty two megabytes in recorder, and then my family's using some stuff as well. So once you go into there, you can clean up by service, So you can clean up by Google Photos, Google Drive, and Gmail. So for instance, if I tap Gmail, it will show me all of my emails with the biggest attachments, and I can just in one fell swoop select those all and get rid of them. And then you can also empty your trash, because sometimes this trash does take up the storage on your depends on the cloud service. Sometimes it will take up storage, sometimes it will not. But in general you probably want to empty the trash as well, because even though you've thrown this stuff away, you can recover that space quickly by emptying the trash. And so for me, it says I can empty my trash in Gmail, I can empty some files that I have in trash from my Google Docs, spam email I can get rid of. But this is where you want to go. You want to go to one dot Google dot com. And I think everyone should do this because it's a handy way of seeing like, oh wait a second, I've got, you know, two terabytes or whatever. You have one hundred gigabytes of stuff and trash, Like, let me get rid of that. That's the way to do it, Carmen, to reclaim some of that space. Fifteen gigabytes is not all that much. Apple gives folks five. Google gives people fifteen. If you're looking for a place to sort of offload some stuff. There are some ways to get some free storage online. You can move some stuff to one Drive, which is Microsoft's. They give you fifteen gigabytes for free. So maybe you could take some of your files from Google Drive, move them over to one Drive, and then that way you can free up that space on Google. I think Google Docs is fantastic. I use it, I love it, and so I would consider I would still recommend using that, but you do have to find a way to get rid of some of those files that you've got stored in there. If you don't want to pay the next The next payment is two bucks a month if you want to get I think it's one hundred gigabytes, which you know, in the scheme of things, is really not that bad for uh, for you know, for using documents and all that stuff. Thanks for the call, Karmen, appreciate it. Good luck getting that all figured out. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we'll take some more of your calls the website rich on tech dot tv. Plus I'm gonna tell you how you can use chat GPT to digitize your handwritten notes. It's super fast, it's super easy, it's super handy. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one sha bozi on your radio. That yes, that was selected by my mom. My mom has. When I told her the select the songs for the show, she goes, do they have to be old songs? They said, no, select whatever you like and she she's like, I really like.
Speaker 2: This shaboozy song. Everyone does. I mean, what's not to like?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: It's just amazing how sometimes these songs come out and they just take over the world, like that one. And anyway, thanks for the song. So I want to tell you I mentioned how chat gpt can digitize your notes.
Speaker 2: This is pretty cool. This is what my mom used.
Speaker 1: She wrote out all the songs for the show today and I took a picture of them and I uploaded it to chat gpt and it spit out the everything perfectly written. And so here's how you can do it. And you can probably use any any of the AI tools to do this. But if you've got a handwritten note, maybe a letter from back in the day or something like that, or if you still have good handwriting, you can just write a note, take a picture with your phone, upload it to chat GPT or even claude dot AI and it will basically extract the text from that image and convert the handwriting to text. And it's very simple. It's very easy. If it doesn't do it without you asking, like you probably just all you have to do is upload the photo. But if it doesn't do it with just uploading, just say hey, can you please? Can you please extract the text from this image? And it will. Now I did that with the song. Then I said, hey, can you actually give me a line about each song? And so it did that very easily. I use Claude to do that, but chat GBT will do it as well. This was from zd net. Got to give Sabrina over at zd net the props for this little tip because she came up with it. But I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, I can't write in my handwriting anymore because it just looks so horrible. But if you can and it still looks legible, yeah, you can use AI to transform it. Comment on the MV and O plans. We're getting a lot let's see, I don't have a person's name here, but they said something else as important as international travel. Absolutely, I meant to mention that a lot of the MV and o's do not support international roaming. So again you're not going to get hit with these roaming bills. But at the same time, you may not be able to use that phone number to roam overseas. If they support the Wi Fi calling and texting, that might work.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: Mint Mobile just added the international plans to their.
Speaker 1: Plans, so you can buy like International when you go out of the country. And they also said Visible supports Apple Watch. Yes, Visible is one that does support Apple Watch. Looks like we got another question. Gary and Laguna Niguel. Gary, you're on with Rich We hell Rich.
Speaker 10: Oh, by the way, I noticed she still has some of the old Leo laporttunes. Also, that tune is great. I usually hear that right between eleven thirty and twelve thirty and always get some motivation going.
Speaker 2: Is that the which one is? That is that's going to break what we.
Speaker 7: Do?
Speaker 10: It's where he plays it. It's one of Leo's old old songs that he leads into his show when he would start at eleven o'clock on Saturday mornings.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think, yeah, I gotta listen now closely. Maybe I mostly focus on the intro and I gotta now, I gotta listen. Oh okay, Kim. Kim says, it's the network bumper music.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I don't get it. I may not hear it here, Okay, I do, Okay, got it?
Speaker 3: Gary?
Speaker 2: What can I help you with?
Speaker 10: Well, the question I asked you Rich is all the budget carriers that you hear advertising on talk radio and so on. They always seem that they have AT and T and T mobile service carriers, but Verison. I'd like to know which are the budget carriers carry Verison?
Speaker 1: Great question, and so yes, I would say a majority. I would say ninety percent of them run on T Mobile, maybe ten percent run on AT and T, and then Verizon has like a tiny percent, but it's growing. So number one Verizon owns Visible and they run on Verizon's network. The other one is red Pocket, which I've tested. They run on Verizon as well, and so you can get that US Mobile. They have an option for Verizon, but you have to kind of choose. They've got a choice of Verizon or I think it's might be AT and t Issue Mobile. But US Mobile is another one and they're kind of a smaller carrier that really they don't you don't hear much about them, but they are on there. And then I believe Spectrum and Exfinity are also on there. So those are kind of through your cable company and you have to have your cable obviously your Internet through them, but you get a good deal there. And then the latest one to use Verizon is Mobile X. We talked about them on the show a couple months ago. Mobile X uses Verizon's network. I have tested them and they are great. And then Verizon has another one called Total by Verizon, and this is their prepaid. So basically Verizon runs Total Wireless and also Visible Wireless, and Total Wireless is sort of a prepaid whereas Visible is like you know, you just jump on that plan. But yeah, great question, and a lot of times if you go to that whistle out site that I mentioned, they can reveal which Envy and Zo is on which carrier network. But again there's only like really three networks. I think there's a fourth coming up from Dish Network, which I have not tested yet, but apparently they've built their own network in the US, so we're going to see a lot more advertising from Dish, I think, when that's ready to go in a much bigger way than it is right now. Thanks for the question, Gary, and I'm glad we figured out the music.
Speaker 2: You're right glad. We've got Kim here to tell us that stuff.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're going to talk to a guy who says the Apple Watch has saved his life. He'll explain coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology. Lines are open at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to.
Speaker 2: Two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: Lots of you going to the website today rich on Tech dot tv to send me an email. You can hit contact up at the top of the website to send me an email. I'll try to get to some of those, but I've got a kind of quite a big backlog today. And if you want something that's mentioned on the show, just go to the website rich on Tech dot TV and hit the light bulb and there you can find the show notes in real time.
Speaker 2: This is show number eighty three. All right.
Speaker 1: So recently I spoke with a guy named Peter Moore. This is a quite a successful business person. He's had big jobs at EA, Microsoft, Sega, and Rebok. He's here in California, and he told me the story of how his Apple Watch saved his life. And uh, you know what, I'm just gonna let him tell the story. Let's hear from Peter Moore.
Speaker 12: It's actually two weeks ago today. I was going to buy my business as normal. My eldest daughter, who works for Rea, was flying in for a couple of days. I was heading to Santa Barbara Airport. I felt a little light headed and a little faint, and like a typical mail I.
Speaker 3: Thought, I'll go to Starbucks.
Speaker 12: That'll fix it totally. And so I went on the way to Santa Barbara Airport and grabbed a latte. I sat in the cell phone parking lot. It still felt a little faint, but I thought it would pass. My phone started to ping and said low heart rate, which I've never seen before, and so I looked at it and then my heart rate had dropped to thirty two and it was insistent in its notifications that something wasn't right with the linkage to your phone. I looked on the health app in my phone and I saw that my heart rate was vacillating at that time from thirty to one hundred and one, and so I had this bright red line.
Speaker 3: Going up and down.
Speaker 12: I thought this is probably not good, so swallowed my mail pride sent a photograph to my wife of the low heart rate.
Speaker 3: Note of it.
Speaker 12: She said, don't move, I'm coming right there, pick me up. I was in Santa Barbara Coottish Hospital. Within ten minutes, Triagnur sees me, looks at me, looks at my pulse, goes a little pale, which I didn't think was a good thing. The reaction not at all now and gets a wheelchair.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 12: Within five minutes, I'm in the emergency room. Crash team descends on me, defibrillator pads, ivy blood samples EKG, and they're running the EKG and doctor kind of theoretically runs in and said, this is not good.
Speaker 3: This is not good.
Speaker 2: You need a.
Speaker 3: Pacemaker right now.
Speaker 12: You are in complete heart blockage, which is an electrical issue where the top part of the heart the atrier and the bottom heart ventricle aren't talking to each other anymore, and so what happens is your top part of the backup systems. I'm triggered and the atria is doing all the work, but the ventricles are doing nothing, and so my heartbeat. Then I'm on the monitors. I'm looking my heartbeat. Then is twenty four. Doctor comes in, looks at me, goes why are you still awake? Type thing, And their goal was to get me into the operating theater as the fast that they possibly could to install the pacemaker, and all they were waiting for was a bed postop recovery. Within two and a half hours, I was in the operating theater. I was awake, somewhat sedated, but fascinated by the process, surrounded by data screens and talking to the technician from Abbot Labs, who have this duel chamber pacemaker that I'm now the proud owner of, and he's pacing. In other words, he's in control of my heart. And what they're doing is setting the voltage levels, making sure the pacemaker is obviously working properly, and stitch me up and I'm out of there and spent the night in the wonderful Cottage Hospital. Dr Omid Yosefian was the surgeon who immediately came saw me, operated on me, and I think fundamentally saved my life. I think the real issue would have been if I left left it, I would have collapsed at some point. And my real fear was I'd be driving with my daughter on the one oh one freeway and that would have been disastrous. For the implications of that I can't even be to think of. So finally I paid attention to the data that was there, and my male stubbornness was overcome by listening to the data and reading the data. And of course your wife will take over in these situations, and uh, you know, and the wonderful people, as I say, son Ababa Cottage Hospital had me from entry to with a working pacemaker within four and a half hours.
Speaker 3: Wow, you said you felt lightheaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people feel different ways all throughout their life.
Speaker 3: Oh totally.
Speaker 1: But with that alert when you got it on your watch, was that the like hold on something is definitely not right.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 12: I mean, you go, I mean every now and again, and even you you know, you stand up quickly, you go whoo for a second, and I in a typical male, stubborn pig headedness.
Speaker 8: Thought.
Speaker 3: You know, it'll go away, you know.
Speaker 12: And so if it hadn't a been for these notifications, I would have just tried to write it through. I had a lot going on and picking my daughter up on to be there for her, and again the consequences of that, as the doctor explained to me, he said, look at twenty four bpm, you're going to collapse.
Speaker 3: You're either going to collapse at the wheel.
Speaker 12: And again the implications of that and the ramifications of that horrific. Or we see a lot because it's a total collapse, people smash their head and so he said that, and then you're dealing with internal bleeding and all of those things. So fortunately you came in. We caught you whilst I was on the monitor. I flat lined twice in that thirty minutes. And again I'm thinking back connection right, you know, and my wife's looking it just went to zero and then the heart kicked in again.
Speaker 3: But here I am two weeks later. Fine, how do you feel now? I feel great?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know it's funny when you even the moment as we're insurging the device that then he brought my heart to sixty five bpm. They're calibrating the bpm. I felt better immediately that the blood was flowing as it should be again because it's an electrical issue. My plumbing is just fine. But the pacemaker is always on device for me because my electrical system has collapsed. So it's working. It keeps me alive all day I keep pointing here, that's where it is. But it keeps me alive all day long. And check in in a year. And the battery life maybe ten years. And the only thing I think I have to worry about is go get a new battery in ten years.
Speaker 3: So the watch. Do you have a new found respect for the Apple Watch?
Speaker 10: I do?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's always been useful for me. You know, I've been in tech for twenty odd years president of Sega. I ran Xbox, so I'm used to technology, and I've watched the video game industry go from when I joined Sega dreamcast days of dial up to now relying on data every minute of every day to interact with gamers and to build the business. And so when my personal feelings one thing, but when I see data like that, particularly the way that Apple does it, which is low heart rate like that and actually shows you the data in there. Then I reacted to that, and I can't thank Apple and all the other smart watchmakers that are makings I think a little bit more kind of informed about our health. Somebody somebody said the other day, it turns the invisible into visible, and you know, and I'm blessed to have a pacemaker. As the docs fifty years ago, I would just be dead because the technology, which I find amazing, of this little device in there that's firing every you know, point eight of a second is just incredible. And the way that Abbott the company said a year ago, you wouldn't have been as well off as youah today because those are the advances bringing. You know, we can do updates, we can do firmware and what you have. And people who have a pacemaker know that you have a little device that sits by your bed that interacts with your pacemaker at nights data to their central servers and if they see anything untoward, they'll give you a call. But as they say, ninety nine percent of the time it's just there as a monitoring device. So it's interacting through I guess RFID or something like that.
Speaker 1: So with all of this lesson learned. What is your advice to others? Yeah, get yourself a smart watch.
Speaker 12: I mean the health thing is important to me now times ten, obviously, but all the other things you can do that I've learned over the last few years that I never dreamt of.
Speaker 3: You know, when I was a kid.
Speaker 12: This is kind of a George Jetson thing, right, a Maxwell smart type device. But now I think that the wearable market in particular for the value it provides not just in your daily life, but literally informing you about your health in real time. And in my instance, I think saving my life. And I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this little device.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: What a story. What a guy, by the way, what an incredible person. Peter is done so many great things in his life. And just to have that experience of thinking you're going to go get a coffee and everything is going to be fine, and realizing that your watch is saying, uh uh, we're figuring something else is a little wrong here. So, like you said, I think that if you know, if you get one of these devices, whether it's a Fitbit, whether it's an Apple Watch, whether it's a Samsung watch. Definitely check the specs and see what it can do. What he was talking about was the high and low heart rate notifications. You can check some of your ECG stats on these things as well, depending on the model. There's a lot of stats that you can find. But don't over rely on these things because there are certain things they cannot do. And the doctor I interviewed for my story on Katla said these things do not predict a heart attack or can they sense one, So keep that in mind with there are limits to what these can do. But between the fall detection the crash detection, I mean, there really are so many benefits to these wearables and Peter is example of that. So thanks for sharing the story there. We're gonna get to more calls and just a bit here eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, and the comments are coming in about the mb and os. I'll share more of those coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Eight e eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show richon Tech dot TV. While you're there, be sure to sign up for the rich on Tech newsletter. It is free, it's delivered to your inbox weekly. It's got a lot of great information in there. And uh what else? Oh, you can follow me on social media at rich on Tech. There you go. We we have hit AB's nest. We could do an entire show on mv and o's. I did not realize this, but the comments keep coming in. Ed says, if you switch from Verizon cell service to Verizon prepaid and Auto fifteen gigabytes is thirty five dollars a month, same service, half the price. Jim says, I like saving money, but a few reasons. I haven't switched to an mv and O. A few friends switched to Mint and they've had trouble sending SMS messages for some reason. Their messages take hours to arrive. They don't send your name to people with caller ID, so you don't see caller ID on incoming calls either.
Speaker 2: No international roaming.
Speaker 1: He travels a lot, needs to receive calls and messages anywhere in the world. Deprioritization. I've tried mv and o's. When I'm in a crowded place, I find my data won't flow even though I have a strong signal. For me, it hasn't been worth the twenty eight dollars a month I would save.
Speaker 2: And then let's see.
Speaker 1: Glenn here wrote in and said MV and o's do not have the same access to cell sites. I've worked for two of the major carriers for over three years, and I can tell you the MV and o's are fine for normal, everyday communication, but in an emergency like earthquakes, fires, or severe weather, the subscribers to the main carrier will have first access to a congested cell tower, just below police and fire.
Speaker 2: MV and o's are at the bottom of the priority.
Speaker 1: These are all probably valid things, yes, but again they are all sort of edge scenarios. So it all depends on what you need out of it, right. So if I'm saying, you know, if it's a good idea to switch, I think you have to weigh what you want for me personally. I have not switched because I need certain things. I need access to the most premium data, the most premium priority on the network as I am uploading and downloading tons of stuff on a daily basis with my jobs, and so for me, that is what works now. My secondary line, Yes, it's an envy and O. And my wife who literally when you look at her data usage is like less than two gigs a month. She does not need an unlimited plan ninety dollars a month. She does not need the extra you know, whatever it is that these companies offer. And she told she's been on a couple MV and ohs, and she's told her friends about it, and they don't trust her.
Speaker 2: They don't believe her. They say, well, I don't know what am I missing out on? Nothing.
Speaker 1: It works, Yes, there are some downsides, but it depends what you need. And I think that is the beauty of listening to a show like this and doing your research is that you understand what you're getting into, so you're not surprised when you say, wait my apple watch Wait hold on, I can't get cellular, or wait, I've got to travel internationally. I don't have international So you have to remember all of that stuff. Let's go to Tom in San Diego. Tom, you're on with Rich. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Hey, Rich, I know you've touched on this a few times obviously, and you're touching on it right now again. But so I have a cabin that my parents built, you know, fifty years ago. That's out in the middle of Sambordino Desert. It does have electricity, it's been broken into a few times. So I'm thinking, well, I should put some cameras up or something that could tell me if something was going on. There is no ISP service out there. So I've been looking at, you know, either cellular game cameras or other things, or doing something like a MYPI with Wi Fi cameras and just trying to find a plan that isn't going to break me to have, you know, some security footage and video footage. I don't even have an idea of how much data I would need or something like that, and just wondering what your recommendations were. I know you were talking about a whole bunch of different carriers a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I would actually I would just go with a I would just go with a cellular security camera in general, like skip the Wi Fi hotspot because that's going to be that's not going to be the most reliable connection for these cameras, so if it depending on how many need, but I would say just go with one that has built in cellular and there are a couple out there. I have personally not tested one with the cellular built in, but they do come from a couple of reputable brands. Now there are many out there. You can go on Amazon and probably find one for fifty bucks, but I probably I mean, you can try it, but I think if you want something that's reliable. The thing that separates a lot of these security cameras between the really cheap ones that you can find on Amazon and the companies that have made a business on security cameras, like the Rings of the World and you know the Ufe's of the World is the software that you get and maybe sometimes the support. So I would personally go with a camera that just has cellular built in and a couple of the brands that make a camera that are pretty reasonable price wise, and the brands that I know for cameras that people like UFI, eu f Y, They've got a whole bunch of cellular security cameras and they actually will tell you how much data. So, by the way, there's something else to think about here. Some of the cameras may want you to use their data connection, right, like you have to buy the data from them, which of course is going to be it's going to limit you in some ways. Some say, hey, just put a put a simcard in and you're good to go, as long as you have a network. This this UFEE says it's got a three and one SIM card compatible with AT and T, T Mobile and Verizon. It selects the most stable network to optimize connectivity and ensure uninterrupted viewing. I would also look for a camera that has a solar attachment as well, So the UFI one looks pretty good. This one's two hundred and fifty bucks for a four g LTE. There's then Real Link r EO l I n K. Real Link is. They're not as well known, but they do make decent cameras, and they have one that is battery and solar powered. It's got a four g lt E. It's two hundred and twenty dollars and it tells you your estimated data usage here on the website, so you can go on there and see how much data it's exped to use and it will tell you that. Let's see in the facts, how much data does a camera use? One hour of live feed and ten ADP will use about one gigabyte of data, so that's live feed if you're you know, if you're streaming NonStop, this will you'll probably want a camera that records clips to the cloud when something moves so that that won't use as much data. And then finally, the other brand is r Low a R l O. People really like the R Low cameras. This has Wi Fi or LTE and that camera is one hundred and ninety nine two hundred bucks basically, and they've got four different versions, a T Mobile of Verizon, a US Cellular, and a cell coom which I haven't heard of, but you can use that as well.
Speaker 3: So those are the.
Speaker 1: Brands that I would recommend taking a look at tom and see which one works the best, and you know, just depends on the features you need the price you want to pay. The other thing you can look at is a trail camera. Some of those have cellular as well, and those are mostly meant for far off places that don't have a connection. Those can also record to an SD card as well. Great question. Have fun out there in the cabin? I wish I had a cabin in the desert. Get away from it all right, enjoy. I got to take my kids to see that like a dark sky area with all the stars in the sky.
Speaker 2: We don't get that in LA eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. More rich on Tech come your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website rich on Tech dot tv. You can hit contact to send me an email and uh man, you really like that keyboard.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 1: You're sending a lot of messages today. I will get through them at some point. I can't get through to all of them today, but we'll get some of those comments and questions and things on the show. Let's see here familiarity. By the way, my mom is playing DJ this weekend for the show, so she has chosen all the songs we're playing. And Kim, I think call screen er Kim put it best. She said, your mom is the epitome of jack FM, just playing what we want right, She's just all over the place.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Familiarity. Let's see if we can say this word. So people are familiar with AI, but people still have concerns about it. This is a study from Parks Associates. Forty seven percent of US households say they are familiar with at least one AI technology. Forty percent of them are actually using them regularly for personal, professional, or educational purposes. But sixty nine percent of consumers are concerned with the data and privacy implications of AI. And I totally understand that because when you type something into AI, when you feed it something, you have no idea how the AI is using it.
Speaker 2: Are they trained on that?
Speaker 1: Are they going to take your picture that you upload and make it into a selfie for someone else who knows No one's reading the terms of service. But the bottom line, companies and individuals who do not start experimenting with AI risk being left behind by those that do. And I thought that was really interesting as kind of a tease for my interview later in the show with work expert Ken Coleman. He talks about the impact that AI has on the job market, we'll have on your job and what you can do to best prepare yourself for this new future where AI is a reality. So you won't want to miss that that's coming up later in the show, and if you want to get your email in for the feedback. I will be reading some of those later on in the show as well.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Fabrice in Newport Beach. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hell Rich, I am on speaker.
Speaker 11: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you? Great?
Speaker 11: Which honey, got to talk to you. I listen to your show.
Speaker 13: Once on Saturday. It's great. Here's the thing I love. I have actually an HP.
Speaker 11: This HP is a Core five, so it's an older one, but I love it. I love my HP because he has three function it has. It has about sixteen gigs, it has the illimited key board, and it's a touch screen.
Speaker 2: I love it. Okay, glad you love it. Don't don't change a good thing.
Speaker 11: Yes, however, it's an old one.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 11: I was told it's a Core five, so I need to update it or maybe get.
Speaker 13: Another model.
Speaker 11: I have. Also on my toolbar, I have three browsers. I have Google Chrome, I have Firefox which is Mozilla, and I have Internet Explorer. Do I need all those three browsers and what's the difference between those three?
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: Well, for Internet Explorer, you can cross off the list because that is no longer supported. That is that's dead, So don't do not use Internet Explorer. It is not in any way, shape or form supported by Microsoft anymore. So you're not getting security updates. You're not getting you just don't want to use that. So you can easily uninstall that or safely uninstall that, and don't worry about that one. Now, when it comes to the other two, Chrome or Firefox, you know, it really comes down to a matter of personal preference. I would say that Firefox is going to be more private than Chrome because Chrome is owned by Google and I love Chrome. That's what I personally use, and I think it's incredible and it's gotten a lot better over the years. It turned out to be a kind of a resource hog on computers for a long time, but I've gotten it to a place and I think Google has where it works really well. It has the features I need, and personally I really enjoy it. So it's really what you want to use. So Firefox, you know, if you look at this, let me look at their website and see how they're advertising Firefox. Yeah, they say the it's the browser that puts your privacy first. So because Firefox is open source and because Firefox is known kind of as a privacy company, they are going to put your privacy first with this browser. So if you're concerned about your privacy and you don't want Google to know every single thing about you as you're browsing the web, then maybe you want to pick Firefox as your preferred browser. According to their website, it says it automatically blocks two thousand plus online trackers from collecting information about what you do online. Now, these browsers talk a big game with that. Personally, what I've done on Chrome is I have disabled third party cookies, So when I'm browsing the web, websites are not exchanging information about me. They're not allowed to because I've blocked those third party cookies. Sounds like Firefox is probably just doing that out of the box by themselves. And there is actually a little compare browsers on here on their website, so you can compare the different things that Mozilla does versus Google. So if they're number one thing we block trackers by default, let's see, and basically that's it.
Speaker 2: That's kind of their main thing.
Speaker 1: So I would say that you could probably get ninety percent of what Firefox is doing by blocking the third party cookies. And you can do that by going into your settings and going into more tools or sorry settings, and then let's see here, where is it privacy? Oh wow, they changed it's all privacy and security. Here we go privacy and security. And then it says third party cookies, and so you can block third party cookies and that should take care of a lot of that kind of information that's being exchanged about you across websites. But that doesn't keep Google itself from collecting all the data it wants about you, which of course that's what they want to do because one of the biggest advertising networks in the world. So at the end of the day, Fabrice, I think it comes down to what you're comfortable with personally. I'm sticking with fire I'm sticking with Chrome right now. But Firefox is a perfectly reasonable use of a browser as well, so hopefully that helps. And you know, with that computer, you probably got some life left out of it. I don't know, it must be kind of old if you've got the Internet Explorer still installed on there.
Speaker 2: But great question today. Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: Question here via email from Let's See, Michelle says, hey, Rich, I'm being required to download an app that has GPS tracking on my personal device, my iPhone for my job. I'm a crossing guard and the company wants me to sign in remotely when I get to my post and when I leave. I'm very concerned about this on my personal device. I'm not tech savvy. Is there any way tracking can still occur when the app is off? Also, when I look at the developer's description, it said something about having access to my data. Of course, I feel completely this is out of line requiring this app to be on my personal phone. But I live in California. I could be fired at any reason at all. I'm thinking of getting an entirely separate phone to install the app on, not affiliated with my current phone. Please give me your thoughts advice. I want to keep my job. Thank you, and I really enjoy your show on KFI.
Speaker 2: Michelle.
Speaker 1: Michelle, the good news is you're using an iPhone and so I think with this app, what I would do is if it sounds like something you need to check in with.
Speaker 2: It says you have to.
Speaker 1: Sign in remotely when I get to my post and when I leave. So there is a setting on so number one, when you set up this app, I would not give it access to your data, your location, at all times. So usually when you first open up an app that wants to track your location, it says do you want to give your precise or exact location? And then it also says do you want to allow this all the time or just when the app is open or just when you're using the app? So what I would say is try saying just while using the app. Now, if they want to track your whereabouts twenty four to seven, then that's a different story. So there is a way around it, though it takes a little bit of work. But what you'd have to do is you'd have to take away the app's permissions every day. So I don't know how many days you're working as a crossing guard, but basically you would have to go in. So let's say I'm going into an app here. If I go into my settings on my iPhone and then I tap an app, so for instance, all Trails is an app that uses my location, Okay, so if I tap in there, it says location. If I tap one more time, it says allow location access. Never ask next time or when I share while using the app or always. So what I would do is set this to while using the app, and that will enable you to open up that app, they will see that you are indeed in the location that you should be at. With the GPS, it will ping the towers and send your location. And then when you close out that app, it will no longer get your location. And then when you open it up again, it will have access to your location for you to check out of your job and to move on with life. Now, if you want to be super super secure and safe, you can once you log out of your job and you're done working for the day, you can go back into settings and then the app and then tap never or I would say ask next time or when I share, and then the next time you open the app, it'll say, hey, do you want to share your location? But it's a little bit of a it's kind of a process, especially if you're doing that five days a week. I would ask the company and say, hey, are you tracking my location at all times with this app? Or is it just getting my location when I check into my job and when I check out of my job? Those are two very different things. And so I think at the end of the day, if if the company wants to track you twenty four to seven, they should probably supply the phone that they are tracking you on, so that you have the ability to decide when you want to be tracked and when you don't want to be tracked. But yeah, this is pretty common nowadays with company issued equipment. If you have a company issued computer, if you have a company issued phone, company issued car, your company is tracking you. They are seeing what you're doing, they are seeing where you're going, and they are totally within their rights to do that because it is their equipment. And you probably when you signed on saw a little piece of text that said, hey, by the way, our company, we can do whatever we want monitoring this system. You probably didn't read it, you probably didn't even see it, but it's somewhere there. Because these big companies, guess what, they employ big lawyers and so they know what they're doing, and they're covering their butts and you need to cover yours as well. Eight to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about the next state to adopt a digital license.
Speaker 2: You can now add to your iPhone.
Speaker 1: And Google's AI photo editing tools are available to everyone. I'll explain right here on rich on Tech Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology the website rich On Tech Dot TV special thanks to my mom this week.
Speaker 2: Who's in town. She is the guest.
Speaker 1: DJ Greg says Canton, Ohio says, your mom needs to produce the intro music segments every week. Man, everyone's making me and Bobo feel bad here because you know, usually I pick the music Bobo, but clearly my mom has uh, she's got a knack for this, So thanks mom. Ohio driver's licenses and IDs can now be added to Apple Wallet, so you can if you live in Ohio, you can add your driver's license or state ID to Apple Wallet for use quote select businesses apps and TSA apps and TSA security checkpoints, so basically businesses. This is what's really cool about And I'm I know it sounds scary to not carry your ID, but I'm I can't wait for this to happen widely because it's one less thing I'll have to.
Speaker 2: Carry and it's actually more secure.
Speaker 1: So they put out this free age verification app for Ohio businesses. It's called Ohio Mobile ID check. So what's neat about this is that right now, when you give your ID to a clerk right at target or whatever, when you're buying alcohol or something, they type in your data birth right, and they see it, and they see all your information where you live.
Speaker 2: They can look at your entire ID.
Speaker 1: When you're using a digital driver's license, what you do is you tap, and so what happens is only the information that's need to verify you is exchanged, and in many cases no one sees the actual information. So just to very much simplify it, let's say that you are buying booze right and it needs to say if you're twenty one or not. You would tap your phone on a special reader. The reader would verify that you're twenty one because of your ID stored on your phone, and it would say green or red, you know, depending on whether you're twenty one or not. And maybe your picture would come up so they can verify that it is you on that ID. But again, the clerk or whoever's looking at this wouldn't see all of your personal information. So what I like about this whole digital ID kind of future is that it will be much more secure, So kind of cool. We're seeing a lot of this kind of happening, but it's not widespread just yet, only five states do this. Arizona, Colorado, Maryland, and Georgia are the five states that actually take these digital driver's licenses or allow you to add them to your Apple Wallet. Some cases it's Google Wallet as well. In California we have which is kind of ironic, the you know, the tech capital of the world. Basically we still don't have this, but we do have a digital California has like a weird DM like they basically made their own app that I tried, I downloaded, I got my license digital, but it's like it's only accepted in a few places and it's not part of Apple Wallet or Samsung or Google. So I think the idea here is that this should be universal and all phones should have that. Google Photos AI photo editing tools are coming to all phones already popped up on my iPhone with all of these different features. So you get Magic Eraser, Magic Editor, Photo Unblur, portrait light. They are all available to all users without a subscription and if you have an old photo. I just did this yesterday to test it out. The photo unblur feature is just magical. So I had an old picture of my kid. He was completely blurry. I put it into photo unblur and you could not believe it. They really just use AI to make it look clear. So again this is for Android and iOS devices. So if you want to try out Google Photos AI features, all you have to do is download Google Photos to your device. And of course, again this is all to get you to use Google Photos, right, I mean, that's the whole point here is to get you to use that. So I do want to get to Jerry. I've got just two minutes, So Jerry, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: All right, thank you. So my question is my grandson uses a continuous glucose monitor and he's sends that signal to his iPhone and so his parents could monitor his blood sugar. The phone he uses is it looks to me be pretty big. It is an iPhone. I don't know what the model it is, and since he's ten years old, he does a lot of sports and he has to keep that phone basically very close.
Speaker 1: So you're looking for something that's that's similar but not the phone.
Speaker 9: Yeah, either either another phone with a smaller format or some of their device.
Speaker 2: Well here's the deal.
Speaker 1: So this is sort of this is sort of an area where things are progressing quickly, but right now it is still a little bit old school, but the phone is still probably the best way. They just approved the dex Com G seven to connect directly to the Apple Watch. I'm not sure which monitor your grandson is using, but it would require that Dexcom G seven. But it's the first time you're able to pair that directly with a wearable, so I do think that that probably would be a better way to go if he's using the dex Com G seven. Otherwise, the only thing I could recommend is with the phone, maybe a smaller iPhone if he does have to have that nearby at all times, maybe look for an iPhone Mini from a couple of years ago that is much much smaller. Apple doesn't make him anymore, but you can find him on the third party marketplace, so that would be our recommendation, either the Apple Watch or the Mini.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, Jerry.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show richon Tech dot TV. We're gonna do the feedback segment in just a moment, so if you want to get your comments in, go to the website.
Speaker 2: And hit contact and perhaps I will read them on the show.
Speaker 1: Joining me now is Ken Coleman, bestselling author, speaker, and host of The Ken Coleman Show. Ken likes to help people discover their true calling and turn their dream jobs into reality. We talked about the impact of AI on the job market and the changing landscape of work. Ken shares his expert advice on navigating these new challenges and embracing new opportunities thanks to AI. First, I wanted to know where we stand with the job market.
Speaker 3: Where does it stand? The great resignation is over.
Speaker 14: Companies aren't hiring us quickly and as a result, people are staying put. I think we're in this general let's wait and see, and we have a very very topsy turvy election season that we're going through as well. So I think weight hold is the response of companies, and I think employees are a little bit reticent to jump out and go to something new or look for something new.
Speaker 3: What's been the impact of AI?
Speaker 1: Have we seen an impact on jobs immediately or is it still happening?
Speaker 3: Not yet.
Speaker 14: What we're seeing is the impact of the coming storm, and people are paying attention to it. It is a scary proposition for a lot of people. The headlines are saying things like AI is going to eliminate your job. And so what we're seeing is AI being adopted in the workplace.
Speaker 3: Chat GPT comes on the.
Speaker 14: Scene, Lawyers are using it, of course, writers, content people, and so we're beginning to see the adoption of it. But are we seeing wholescale changes Not yet, but those are coming.
Speaker 3: And to that in I think you're going to see.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 14: Let's just call it, administrative working that can be handled through a checklist at AI handles. I think those jobs are in trouble. But what we need to understand is that AI is just another man made technology, just like the Internet, cell phones that I can go on and on and on that have spun off jobs. So I don't see it as this big scary job eater. I think it's going to be a job creator.
Speaker 3: Before we get to the jobs it's going to create.
Speaker 1: Tell me about those jobs you think are going to be most impacted by AI.
Speaker 14: People that are in content heavy jobs, again, a lot of administrative paperwork. I think those jobs will be impacted for the better, in other words, more customer focused work.
Speaker 3: But again, as I just.
Speaker 14: Said, I think you're going to see a lot of administrative receptionist, secretarial type jobs, support jobs that are more administrative. Those jobs could be really affected. And then I think on the front line of the service industry, I think you're going to see in New York. For instance, I've seen a McDonald's in New York just recently, or I walk by it and we're talking just a couple of blocks from Times Square, and I didn't see one human in there other than a customer. Now, someone was cooking in the back, but everything else that front of house, point of service was all AI.
Speaker 3: And so those jobs.
Speaker 14: Will be impacted as well, because that's where we're seeing the biggest crunch with the minimum wage. We haven't had a legal change, a national change, but there's been this pressure. As you remember during the pandemic, I target Walmart to raise wages.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what happens.
Speaker 14: You want to lower the cost of a burger king combo, Well, what do you have to do? You have to lower your cost to make the combo. So I think you're going to see small businesses and restaurants move to AI to help with that human cost.
Speaker 3: On the point of service.
Speaker 2: You're always going to need humans to do certain things?
Speaker 3: What do you think humans are still good for?
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, I love that you asked this question, because I think AI is going to put a premium on the face to face, the voice to voice, the eyeball to eyeball. I think it's going to usher in I believe a new level of service, and I think it's going to accentuate our humanness because once machines and machine interaction becomes commonplace, we will appreciate the convenience of it, but we will absolutely crave.
Speaker 3: The human element. And so I think it's going to take customer service to the next level.
Speaker 14: I think the companies and the workers who figure out how to be adept and use AI to make your job more proficient, to make your results results more excellent, I think they're.
Speaker 3: Going to win.
Speaker 14: But I think companies that say, all right, we're going to use machines to be better at service, but it's going to allow us to be more personal. I think you're going to see those kinds of reactions in the marketplace.
Speaker 3: Everybody says we can.
Speaker 14: Do more of that, my pleasure, unbelievable customer service because you can be more human in the interaction and let machines do a lot of the execution.
Speaker 1: What does the average person need to know about AI and learning those skills to themselves.
Speaker 14: A great question. First of all, what's available for you and your role? So let's take you and I. We're in the media space, so we need to immediately go, Okay, how can I use AI in my role to be excellent and be efficient? So you start looking at all the different AI tools and they're sprouting up all over the place. So see what's available and what's applicable to your actual roles. So you know, if you again you're a lawyer, you know what can be done here on the stuff I have to do that's paperwork focused, and can I enhance through AI my ability to get that done so I can be more carrying, more present with my clients and take my human service up the next level. So whatever the industry you're in, you need to be researching and by the way, the answers are out there.
Speaker 3: Here's how you can use.
Speaker 14: AI in your role and get skilled, get skilled and get experienced. Because I don't think AI is going to replace your job. I think someone who uses AI better than you will replace you. I think that's our challenge. You go, Okay, am I skilled? Am I experienced? And it's just like any other technology.
Speaker 1: Imagine right now, not knowing how to use a computer, Yeah, same thing or typing.
Speaker 3: I mean back in the day it was typing. Now nobody learns how to type. But still yeah, but there are skills that you it.
Speaker 1: Basically back in the day, you'd put your skills on your resume, right, whether you're good at word, whether you're good at spreadsheets. And now it's the same thing with aiact.
Speaker 3: I love the spreadsheet example. You know, can you use Excel? And what's excel?
Speaker 1: And we all had to learn how to use it? And I think that wasn't that Excel replaced your job? They replace you with someone that knows how to use Excel.
Speaker 14: That's what I think has to be the warning flag about AI. Don't be so scared of it that you stick your head in the sand, because if that happens, you will get passed up and you will get replaced.
Speaker 1: How do you make sure you're not breaking any rules that your employer may have when it comes to using AI?
Speaker 14: And I think again, you're just gonna have to look at what your company policies are, what do you feel is right in here? But interesting that you asked this question. There is a job that is about to become I think commonplace. Now this is a prediction, sure, but I think you're gonna see AI ethicists something like that. That may not be the title, but there will be people who humans like you and I whose job will be to make sure that AI isn't being used the wrong way, or that AI itself doesn't do something that's wrong.
Speaker 3: That's a whole new and I think you're gonna see that everywhere, you know, AI watchdogs.
Speaker 1: What are some of the side effects of AI beyond the standard jobs.
Speaker 14: I think AI is going to change the workplace. I see less and less forty hour weeks. I think we're gonna see a explosion of what is already happening right now, which is the freelance economy, you know, and and so I think you're gonna see.
Speaker 3: More and more of that.
Speaker 14: And I think specialization will happen because it's gonna make it so much easier. So I think keep your eye out for that, an explosion of entrepreneurship, especially because you got gen z. I'm raising three of them, and the younger willennials they're very tech savvy, and I think they're very entrepreneurial hungry is how I would label them, So watch out for that. I think we can see an explosion.
Speaker 3: Because of AI.
Speaker 1: That's Ken Coleman, author, work expert, and host of The Ken Coleman Show. I think the bottom line is that AI will forever change the way we work, just like the Internet itself did. But the key takeaway embrace AI as a tool to enhance your skills. Focus on what makes you uniquely human, and continue to develop your skills. Like Ken said, it's probably not AI that's going to replace you, but someone who knows.
Speaker 2: How to use AI better than you.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link to Ken on my website at rich on Tech dot tv. Mor rich on Tech, come your way with the feedback right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show richon Tech dot TV. I'm going to get through a few items here before we get to the feed bag. This AI powered necklace called Friend got quite the buzz this week. It's a ninety nine dollars pendant necklace that you wear all day long. It listens to everything that's happening around you, and it texts you when it wants to say something to you, so it's kind of always listening and it's AI powered and the person who created it, a nineteen year old. Our twenty one year old said it's because he was lonely and he doesn't want people to be lonely. Ninety nine bucks and you got to watch the video on this. If you go to the website Friend Believe it's friend dot com and it looks like something out of Black Mirror.
Speaker 3: It's not a joke.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 1: This idea of AI companionship will happen. But it's like if you're playing a video game or watching a movie, this thing is listening or having a conversation with your friend and it will literally text you and be like that was awkward or whatever. It's pretty wild and you can talk to it by pressing a button on it. So yeah, Black Mirror is coming true.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Two other devices that were AI companion kind of powered things, the Humane and the Rabbit they have they flopped, So we'll see if this does any better. It's a lot cheaper for ninety nine bucks. I mean, I'll try it out. T Mobile is launching a Friday Night five G Lights competition. This is for small towns to win a two million dollars high school football field tech makeover. Open to high schools in towns with populations of one hundred and fifty thousand or less. Grand prize includes a one hundred thousand dollars cash grant, a new scoreboard, five G network upgrades, a tailgate party, halftime drone show, and a new workout room. So the entries open on August first, they close on September twentieth. The website is Let's see what it is Friday Night FIVEG lights dot Com. Friday Night FIVEG Lights dot Com. Obviously T Mobile trying to promote the fact that they are upgrading their five G network in rural areas.
Speaker 2: So check it out. I'll put a link on the website.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get to the feedback, the the emails, the comments, and the questions. Just send me all day long, every day at Richontech dot tv hit contact. David was listening to the show and said, very interesting listening to Peter today. In August last year, I was home watching TV, not doing anything stressful. I got an alert on my Apple Watch saying my heart rate was unusually high one eighty eight. I had no physical symptoms. I went to the er. They confirmed the watches reading. A cardiologist treated me. If it wasn't for the alert, I would have carried on watching TV, and according to the cardiologist, I probably would have had a stroke at some point. I'm a watch guy, but now I keep my classic time pieces in a box and I wear my Apple Watch all the time.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's quite the story. Thanks for sharing it, David.
Speaker 1: Let's see Joe says, Hey, Rich, I was wondering how long I should keep my empty electronic boxes because I just bought a ring outdoor camera and now I have an empty box.
Speaker 2: Should I keep it? And for how long? No real need to keep it.
Speaker 1: The only three reasons I keep something is if I'm going to return it. So if you think you're going to return this, I would keep it for at least the return window. If you're going to resell it, like if you're ever going to put this thing on eBay or something like that, you want to keep the original box, you can do that. Or if you're going to ship it to someone later, So maybe, for instance, with my computers, if I give an old computer to a family member. When I get a new one, I will ship them that old computer. And I like to have the original box, but otherwise you can safely recycle those boxes. Good question, Anita writes in says, wow, kind of disappointing. How you didn't respond to my question. Anita, you know how many emails I get on a daily basis. If you had any idea you would you could not believe it. And yes, I do my best to respond to a lot, even off air. I try to respond to a lot here, but believe me, there's no way I can get to everyone's email that emails me. I do my best and I will try. But yeah, thanks for that. Mary says, hey, Rich, I'm looking for a portable battery pack that can accommodate USB, a plug, air compressor, jumper case. My German shepherd and I will be traveling in my van from California.
Speaker 2: I live in a van down by the river.
Speaker 4: Do you know that.
Speaker 1: Reference old Chris Farley reference from California, Ohio. I'll be living in the van during our trip. I want to plug in a regular house fan at night. Oh, you just want this thing to do everything. Mary, the battery pack should be able to keep it charge for two days. Any suggestions, thanks in advance. Yes, check out Jackery jack e r Y. What you want is called a portable power station. Every company in the world makes these. Jackery was one of the earliest. They're some of the best. They also make them with solar panels as well. But yeah, Jackery jack E r Y. There are many many brands, including Anchor and many others eco Flow that make these, But I like the Jackery. I just met with them recently and they've got some good stuff and at cheaper prices too. John from Appleton, I'm guessing that's Wisconsin Rights in. I volunteer at our local useum. We're considering replacing our five dollars entry fee with a free will donation system. However, we're noticing young visitors don't often carry cash. Is there a quick secure method for accepting digital payments? Maybe a QR code? Any security concerns? Can you recommend any companies? Should we work with a local bank, we'd like to minimize our fees, I would recommend a PayPal or a Venmo QR code or both. So I believe with the PayPal QR code you could set that up where you can just say, hey, scan this code and it will take you to a PayPal web website on their phone and they can just do the donation there. You can set the suggested as five bucks Venmo. I believe you would need to have the Venmo app for that to work. I'm not sure they have like a website where you can do that through, but I would check out those two. I think that's the easiest way to do it. Square might also have it. You might also check out Square and see if they have it. I know you can also you Square to tap phones to accept so that might actually you know what that might actually hold on tap to pay, tap phone to accept payment. I think Square, ooh if you do that. Yeah, you might just do that where you have they can actually you just have an iPhone set up there they can tap their phone for mobile payment. But I think the QR code might be easier. It's kind of going to depend because not everyone is set up for mobile payments. Not everyone's comfortable doing that, but I think people who aren't, you know, if they're a young person whatever, they probably have Venmo on their phone.
Speaker 2: A lot of people do these days.
Speaker 1: But I would look for a solution that does not require any sort of like sign up for the person. They can just literally scan the code, use their Apple pay or Google pay to make the payment, and yeah, you'll be golden there. Harry from Eden, North Carolina writes in I've encountered a troubling scam on Facebook. I've reported to the FCC. Scammers posing as agents are offering fake federal grants of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. The catch you have to buy six hundred dollars worth of gift cards and give them the code numbers to claim your winnings. They're friending people out of the blue and sending links to initiate the scam. I provided as much as I could to the authorities, but I'm wondering who can really put a stop to this. Seems like they might be hacking Facebook. How can we protect ourselves and others from these increasingly sophisticated social media scams? Harry, thank you so much for being a good guy out there on the internet, but it is impossible so many scams. The best way to protect people is to tell your friends, especially your less tech savvy friends. That is the main thing. Because we understand it there's a lot of people out there who do not so share the spread the word. Victor from Winnipeg writes in, I'm a regular listener wanted to thank you for keeping me entertained on my recent journey from Pharaoh to Winnipeg, Pharaoh or Fargo after an air show and during my workdays. I'm impressed with how your website makes podcast content available to read later. It's a great feature. Looking forward to more great content in the weeks to come. Thank you, Victor, and let's see here. I think we have time for one more. Terry from Arlington Heights, Illinois writes in, I've been a faithful listener since you took over for Leo, and I never miss an episode. While I really appreciate the technology you share, it's your personal approach that makes your show a must listen. You come across as a genuinely nice person and you have a great radio presence. Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained. Terry, you get the gold star for the week. Thanks for making my day. Really really appreciate that. All Right, there you have it. That's gonna do it for this episode of the show, Like you just heard. If you want to listen to it again or listen to previous episodes. Search rich on Tech in your favorite podcast app and you can find the show there. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv. You can find me on social media. My user name is you guessed it at rich on Tech. You can also sign up for my newsletter.
Speaker 2: Please do.
Speaker 1: It's got a lot of great including stuff that I mentioned on this show. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time I really appreciate you spending it right here with me.
Speaker 2: Demiro.
Speaker 1: Household celebrating a couple of big things this week. My wife and i's wedding anniversary. So if you looked at Instagram, you saw that we went out of town for that. So thanks for the congrats on that. And I have a teenager in the house. Oh my gosh, my kid turned thirteen. Oh my gosh, I remember driving him home.
Speaker 3: From the hospital.
Speaker 2: It feels like yesterday.
Speaker 1: Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible, Kim Bobo, my mom for playing DJ.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Demiro. I will talk to you real soon.