Speaker 1: Miss Spelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. Hi everyone, welcome to Misstepping. I know I'm not Toy. I sincerely apologize, but I assure you I am one of Toy's closest friends. My name is Easton. I am a sound engineer here on Misstepping, and if you've been listening the last couple of weeks, I have joined Tory on this adventure through Dancing with the Star of season thirty four. I am here to take over to recap Wicked Night for you. It was such a good show. I'm so excited. I have so many thoughts to share. Before we get into Wicked Night, I just want to apologize from the bottom of my heart, from me to you. We are close friends, and I am apologizing to you. We did not get last week Dedication Night. We missed it and I'm so sorry about that. So really quick, before we get into the wickedness of it all, before we journey to OZ, I just want to share a few thoughts from Dedication Night.
Speaker 2: This is night five. My god, what an emotional night.
Speaker 1: Right If you guys watch this, the the dedications were so touching that I cried doing almost every single intro package. It was remarkable how many tears I shed during this show. I really enjoyed Kim Johnson as the guest host. I thought something I really liked about her was she gave like practical tips at the end of her of her judgment, she was like for one of them, she she had this move where's like, oh, hold a pen in your fingers, like that will keep your hands straight as you move. I thought that was like, I'm not a dancer, obviously, but like, I thought that was really cool. I really enjoyed her her style of judging. She was great. The Robert or Win dance. I mean, what a highlight, incredible, not a dry eye in the house, just such a such a sweet tribute to his mother, and what an incredible dance to.
Speaker 2: The only thing I got it that I that I didn't like.
Speaker 1: I was really sad with how little attention they gave my beloved Daniel Offischal and Pasha Pashakav. She brought in Bill Daniels, the legendary William Daniels. He was night writer on Or, he was kit on night Writer, he was mister Feene. It was just cool to see him up there and he wasn't acknowledged at all by.
Speaker 2: The judges, which was very upsetting.
Speaker 1: But Dedication Night was so good, and then the no elimination caught me by surprise.
Speaker 2: I was caught completely off guard.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a sweet move to do because so many people had their like children there and their their family members. I understand this is the first time in Dance with Stars history that the dedicated the people they're dedicating to are part of the dance. Usually it's just they say, I'm doing this dance for you, but this time, so many people were on the floor with them, dancing incredibly by the way. I mean, Lisa and Walter just had it, got all those moves it. It was so cool seeing like Jordan Childs and her dad out there and knowing like, oh, this guy probably only had a few days to rehearse this. They all did such a good job, so cool that they didn't eliminate anyone. But also, you know, I was also like a come on, let's thin the herd a little bit. Which brings us to Wicked Night. This is night night six of season thirty four. We have another special guest host, John m chu the director of Wicked. It's joined joined the judge's table. This man is clearly a Dancing with the Stars fan. That is something I was really excited about. He is ready to ready to judge. He has a lot of thoughts and he's ready to promote Wicked. Tonight is sponsored by Wicked for Good in theaters November twenty first.
Speaker 2: It's rated PG.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited about tonight. The opening number was so crazy, just with all the every dancer participating, and when they got to the judge's table, Derek Huff jumped off the top of it.
Speaker 2: I thought that he joined the dance. That was really fun to see.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed that opening number, and right off the bat, I think John m Cheu just giving great energy as a judge. Really excited. So let's dive in our first dance. Scott Hoying from Pentatonics and Riley Arnold dancing to the Wizard and I.
Speaker 2: Something about these this week.
Speaker 1: I'm really I noticed this right off the bat in the intro package when they're showing the practicing the rehearsal from the previous week, Riley really hits the critiques that they got and you can see her implementing that criticism into how they're practicing and how they're rehearsing. I thought that was really cool because that's something I think about a lot when I watched the show and I see the judges. I think sometimes they give very specific criticism, sometimes it's more broad. But I'm like, how are they thinking about this as they head into the next week? Are they like taking that Like, I'm so curious how that works. And we got a little window into that with Riley and Scott as they prepare for their dance to the Wizard and I really great dance. I thought, crazy, high energy, but every single judge had a critique.
Speaker 2: They were really going hard right off the bat.
Speaker 1: Just everybody had had something to say for Scott and Riley. And something else I really enjoyed was if you go back and watch this when Derek is giving his critiques, there were two people behind him that didn't know that they had to sit down at that point, and they so they're the only ones standing and then they sit down, they both make like a oops kind of a face, and that was really funny to see. But you know, Bruno said he he loved watching Scott let loose and Carrie Anne. I gave them a seven as well. They're just straight sevens across the board and Scott has a seven seven seven tattoo on his wrist. He's really excited to see a straight sevens. But yeah, they had They had a lot of critiques from the judges. So we shall see what happens as we move forward. And next up Alex Earl and Val Schmerkowsky dancing to what is this feeling? And something I like about this dance? This dance was so good. They're so good. Alex Earl is really coming to the front of the pack for me in terms of the dancers I like and I think could go all the way. I really have enjoyed her more and more each week. But the fact that they chose this song I really really liked for two reasons.
Speaker 2: So there are there's a chatter.
Speaker 1: Online, there are rumors, there's social media and stuff about how they don't get along Alex and Val they do not like each other. They did speak out and squash those rumors. They say they like each other quite a bit. They get along very well. They're very locked in when it comes to the dance and comes to practicing, so that you know, if people think they're not getting along they're just very into the craft.
Speaker 2: But this dance is about two characters.
Speaker 1: That don't get along, so that was kind of a we felt like they were leaning into that about how they just really don't like each other. They are really great toss in this dance. I loved seeing Alex get into the air. And also it was fun because if you know this song, and if you know this part of the Wicked movie, there's a part where they're in the dance where they're like walking with a book. They're stacked like, you know, kind of marching towards the camera and doing this cool like arm movement with their textbooks. And that was a huge TikTok moment earlier this year. And so you know, Alex is like the TikTok queen, so that was very fun to see her take on that dance. I mean, when it got to that part of the song, it was very traumatic for me because I tried to do that dance on TikTok and it was really really hard. But just almost straight nines for them. There was one. There was one eight from John m Chu gave them an eight. He appreciated their storytelling, but everyone else gave him a nine. Carrie Ann said it was Alex's best dance yet. Bruto Bruto called the routine delicious. We love Bruno's reactions. Really great showing from Alex Earl and Val Schmurkowsky. We're moving on to another. There's so many good people this season. My god, you guys, there's so many good dancers, and we're hitting with another superstar, Robert Irwin and Whitney Carson again. I'm really enjoying these intro packages because I kind of complained a bit during Disney Night because we didn't I like watching them practice. I like watching them rehearse, and Disney Night we just you know, it's like, oh cool, they're there on It's a small world after all.
Speaker 2: But like we kind of.
Speaker 1: Got we didn't get our practice movements from Disney Night. We're making up for it now. I really enjoyed watching Robert just wipe out during this rehearsal package. It was really fun seeing how he's so good and I feel like he's one of those guys where he's just everything comes to him easily and naturally. He's just such a He's such a talented, good looking young man. I love watching him struggle. It's like no, he is human. And it also it reminds you how much work he's putting into this. This is hard stuff to do and he is nailing it so well. But that is just from just hard work. This guy is practicing so hard. This was such an ambitious dance. They absolutely nailed it. Just incredible. They're right back up to the top of the leaderboard. I think they're just really it just incredible. John m Chew said, I know how hard it is to walk on books, and that made me laugh. They also talked about how this dance had a lot of book aography, which I believe is choreography with books and not something else with books, but straight nines across the board.
Speaker 2: They loved this dance. It was so good. I really loved Derek saying.
Speaker 1: Hey, Alre, you got to change out your hiking boots for some Broadway shoes.
Speaker 2: That was funny.
Speaker 1: And also, I would like to see I like to see Robert on Broadway. I think he's got a break career as a dancer ahead of him after this. This guy's got so much talent. I am just so impressed with Robert Irwin. God, you know, is he gonna take home the mirror Ball, I don't know. We're gonna have to see. We're moving on to Whitney Levitt and Mark Ballas. I mean, my god, just three in a row of people that I might put money down to win this whole thing. They danced to Popular, one of if not the most popular, well, I mean probably define Gravity's probably the most popular song, but but popular is up there in terms of popularity when it comes to Wicked. Very very excited for them to dance to Popular. They they did such a good job. Again, I keep going back to these intro packages from rehearsing. I really enjoyed them, and you can see in theirs that being ahead of the music really got to Whitney. She was really bothered by this. But they were locked in this week. They put in so much work. They did such an incredible dance. This was one We're gonna go back and watch this more multiple times.
Speaker 2: What an incredible dance. We just loved it.
Speaker 1: They were using props from the actual movie, which was incredible. They were so so present, so locked in, just I mean speechless, like like I keep saying, like Alex Earl Robert or when Whitney love Those are the ones I think that like they're going all the way. But after seeing Whitney's dance this week, I'm like, oh, she is winning this entire thing. She with no doubt in my mind at this point, she and Mark are winning this whole competition. John m chu said he got lost in the dance and almost forgot he was judging. I mean, what a great compliment from the guy that directed the movie. Just incredible. He gave them a ten, and Bruno also loved the routine. He gave them another ten, and Carrie Anne said that the dance was unhinged all the right ways gave them also a ten. The first tens of the season. Wow, and almost straight tens across the board.
Speaker 2: What a ride. It's just crazy. I mean, it was nuts.
Speaker 1: Was something about the judging during this part though, that I just really locked onto. Was somebody's mic was on when Bruno was speaking. I think it was Juli Ann. I watched this part a couple of times. It was trying to feel what was happening, but somebody's mic was on. You can hear them just kind of making small talk like they weren't like. It was really distracting, and I felt so bad for whoever was in the control room because they probably got in a lot of trouble. All right, next, let's move on to these dancers are all so good. There's another's I love them all so much, Dylan Ephron and Daniella Ketterer. Gosh, we love Dylan and Daniella. They are just so fun to watch.
Speaker 2: They danced too. I'm not that girl.
Speaker 1: They're hey, they they're coming off a high. They're at the top of the leaderboard. But last week I wasn't in dedication. It was a sweet dance. I loved seeing him dance with his young sister, but I wasn't that impressed. But this time they brought it, baby, Oh, they brought it great control. The spin they did was so cool, so fun, I mean truly flying, crazy spin. And they have such great chemistry as dancers. I really love watching them. They just seem like they get along so well. They're having such a fun time. And during the judging portion, Derek called dancing with Danielle as trying to dance with a ferrari or something like that, and they all really locked onto that metaphor. They called her the the rest of the portion, there but a great dance. I'm really impressed with them, but Carrie Anne was excited about how Dylan has grown as a dancer, but also she and Bruno mentioned that Dylan would lose control of the fluidity. They both gave him an eight, and Derek said that Danielle is that is that girl and gave her an eight as well. Congratulations to Dylan and Danielle. They're so fun to watch. Can't wait for next week and coming up we have Andy Richter and Emma Slater so much fun to watch.
Speaker 2: They embody.
Speaker 1: Andy just really embodies the spirit of this show and we're going to get into that right after this break stick around. It's misstepping. This is misstepping. I am not Tory spelling. My name is Easton Allen. I am Tory's sound engineer. Hold your applause, people, hold your applause. I know it's crazy. How did they get me? How did they free up time in my schedule to do this? The world shall never know.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I love toy so so much, and she has dearly missed.
Speaker 2: I hope you're having fun with.
Speaker 1: Me today as we recap Wicked Night on season thirty four Dancing with the Stars, We're going to dance right into our next couple here, Andy Richter and Emma Slater. Andy the dark horse for this season. We thought he was going to go home. The first week. I was like, I'm sorry, the first first elimination, it's gonna be Andy and Corey Feldman. I'm so sorry you guys. I love you both, but I did not think they were gonna make it that far. We're over halfway through. We're halfway through the season and Andy is here.
Speaker 2: People. He is the people's princess. Everyone loves Andy Richter.
Speaker 1: They're really voting him on because they want to see how much he improves it dancing and they want to see him go all the way. It is really fun to watch him get more and more excited about dancing, and he's just putting so much work into it. They danced to One Short Day, and they danced a jazz to One Short Day, and their costumes blew my mind. I love their costumes so much. They were in these emerald emerald colored costumes for the Emerald City. So fun to watch them. And also they had the troop with them, which I thought was really fun. They had all these background dancers and I thought Andy did such a great job with those background dancers or know, with the troop, I don't want to diminish them, but he did such a good job like interacting with them, and his dance was so good, you know, a little low energy, but that's you know, he's an older guy. I don't want him to have to do these crazy flips or anything. But in the intro package showing them rehearse, Emma was saying that she wanted to lean into Andy's like showmanship, because he is such a he's such a performer, he's so funny. He's got such presence and that is and personality is an important part of jazz that I'm learning as a non dance expert myself, but I'm learning that watching this, watching this go Bruno very enthusiastic about Andy's timing.
Speaker 2: He gave him a seven.
Speaker 1: Carry Anne also loved their energy and really loved M's choreography. So great compliments from carry Anne and Derek a little rougher. He called the dance fantastic and uh, something I thought was funny is uh Derek gives them a six and he during his comments, he was like, you know, I'd love to see more, but we'll.
Speaker 2: We'll have to we'll have to see. Okay, Like, well, we'll see how goes.
Speaker 1: Buddy, Like he was like, we're You're not stick around much longer.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh, not a vote of confidence from Derek huff John him chew again. This man has to hammer that Wicked is sponsoring tonight and Wicked Foregod is coming out. And so he reminds us the Wicked is all about being the underdog.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: He gave Andy and Emma a seven. But they did they did a good job.
Speaker 2: They're really hanging in there. At this point.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh God, tonight might be the night though where we might be saying goodbye to Andy. We'll have to We'll have to wait and see what happens. You're gonna have to stick around to see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now we have Elaine Hendrix and Allen Burston. They danced to define Gravity. How I'm so curious. I know that, like Torris told us, like, they get to pick the songs from a list, and obviously these are all songs from Wicked. But I feel like everybody wanted to do define Gravity, right. I mean, that's the song, that is the song, but also it comes with a lot of pressure because it's the song. Are they gonna be able to nail this. Who knows, but Elaine Hendricks and Allen Burston got to dance to define gravity. I've been really enjoying the intro packages, but something that bothers me on. I don't know if this bothers anyone else, but this happens every week. But like they they have these they get these shots of them in the rehearsal space, and they have to have the pros, in my opinion, awkwardly and stiltedly say it's Wicked night. We're dancing to define gravity. Like they just it does not feel natural at all, and it drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: I like, I almost.
Speaker 1: It's just like they have to sit there on a couch and just awkwardly announce what the theme of the night is and it's.
Speaker 2: How you set it up. But I don't know, get me in there.
Speaker 1: I got some transitions for that would be a lot more natural, I think. Anyway, Alan reminds us it is Wicked night, and uh, they were not happy about their scores last week. We saw a lot of flashbacks to Dedication Night. They were not happy with with the comments they got, and we're reminded that Elaine had gotten to a really crazy car accident a number of years ago and has a titanium rod in her foot, in her toe, and it means dancing especially very painful, very difficult. And I knew that she was in an she had an injury, but I was not really familiar with the extent of it until now. But I mean incredible, Like she's got such energy, and you can they show her just really struggling during these during these rehearsals, and I am just so blown away at her perseverance and how she's breaking through that pain to put on this dance. What a dance. Oh my god. This may have been my favorite of the night. It was so incredible. They did this flying spin thing that I thought was the coolest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: I loved that. It was just so nuts.
Speaker 1: And then they do this move where like Alan is fighting off like members of the troop. They're trying to like attack them, and Elaine somehow does like a costume change and gets into a rig that rises up above the dance floor with this giant dress. She's wearing, the hat, she's got the broom. She's Alpha Bah. I can't believe it. She's she's up high she's this gigantic witch and she's you know, a dance.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't dance a.
Speaker 1: Lot when you're in a big like special effect like that.
Speaker 2: But she's dancing with.
Speaker 1: Her arms and they're doing the big note from from Defying Gravity. Though. It was so fun, what an incredible dance. It was so great.
Speaker 2: John M.
Speaker 1: Chu the director of Wicked in Theaters November twenty first Rate PG. He loved it. He gave it a nine. So many nines across the board here from the judges. Bruno was so excited. The four nines for them. Just fantastic work. Just a great job from Elaine Hendricks and Allen Burston. All right, so now we're gonna move on here. I keep saying how much I love all the dancers on this season. They are also good. This is really John M. Chew at one point says, this is probably the best season of Dancing with the Stars it's ever happened.
Speaker 2: I'm a new viewer myself.
Speaker 1: My favorite season is still Tory Spelling season, because I love Toy Spelling so much and I wanted to see more from her. So in my opinion, the best season Dancing with the Stars is episode one and two of season thirty three because they have toy spelling in it. But this is such a talent loaded season, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: That being said.
Speaker 1: That being said, I my wife is a massive fan of the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. I have watched a lot of this show as well, so I'm kind of familiar with the Mormon Wives. Jen Affleck, I am not as thrilled with her. I'm not enjoying her as much. And Yon Robnick, he's new. I get bad vibes from this dude. I know he was on the Airs tour, but and Carrie Anne's been really hard on him. She has just been She really does not like him. She's been really hard on Yan, and I feel bad for him for that. Again, it's his first season.
Speaker 2: This is tough.
Speaker 1: I get weird vibes from him. I don't really I'm not having fun watching Jen's dance. I'm not a big fan of hers. I am ready for her to go I'm ready for her to go home. And a lot of drama in their intro package as we get into their performance, and then during their dance, she had a few flubs. I think she was dragging a little bit. She wasn't on time. I think she's going home soon. In fact, at this point, as I'm watching this, I'm like, oh, she's going home tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: And like she said in the package that they were doing, she wanted harder routine, she wanted tougher choreography, and Derek said he was like, if you want harder, you don't want harder routines. That's not what's going to set you above. You know, the difficulty is not what's going to make you rise to the top. So don't try to go for the difficult challenge here. But John im Chew, the director of Wicked in theaters November twenty first, gave her an eight. He appreciated how she challenged herself, and Bruno was like, oh, you're getting there.
Speaker 2: You are getting there, darling.
Speaker 1: So not terrible scores, but you know, not nines and ten's like we've seen tonight so far. Coming up, we have a member of our iHeart Podcast family, Daniel Fischel and Pasha Pashakap. But before that, we got to ride our broomstick into some commercials. Welcome back to misstepping. My name is Easton. I am doing this solo. Baby I'm dancing solo. We're recapping Wicked night on Dancing with the Stars, and now we're moving on to our penultimate dance of the night. This is Daniel Official and Pasha Poshkov. They danced to and I apologize. I don't think I said what danced Jan Affleck and Yon Robineck dance Too is as long as your Mind, So I'm sorry. They danced a fox Trot too, as long as your mind. If everyone keeping notes at home, Okay, now we're moving on to Daniel Fishal and Pasha Poshkov. They danced to No Good Deed, and again it was really interesting. This is across the board. They were really showing how every dancer was taking the criticism from last week specifically and working it into their dances for this week. And Danielle I could tell, was so affected by I'm carry dancing. I'm watching the same dance over and over, which again I think is that has criticism on Pasha. I mean, come on, like, Daniel's not choreograph. She's not choreographing these things. She's she was on boy Be's World. She's not a dancer. Come on, Pasha, what's going on here? So they're trying to set themselves apart from from their previous weeks. They danced in Argentinian tango and uh, it just Danielle practicing so hard in this in this package, she was really going hard. She wants to rise above and it paid off. What a great dance, so many cool spins, so many great holds, an incredible finish.
Speaker 2: I mean, my god, that is the shot.
Speaker 1: How they they finish this dance, Pasha holding Danielle kind of like a like a spear pointed at the ground and she's staring straight like so much trust required in your partner to do something like that, and the image was so spellbinding. I loved it. I thought it was so cool. And they had pyrotechnics. I didn't know that was something you could do, and dancing with the stars. We had pyro at the beginning, pure flames for this dance.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And Bruno pointed out how difficult dancing to a song like that it can be. You have to time your moves with the words and with the breaths, and this is something that's very challenging to do. But Danielle and Pasha nailed it. They got their first nine straight nines. Across the board. Wow, it just absolutely incredible work. I'm so happy for Danielle and this is such a dear friend and I'm so excited to see her continue on with Dancing with Stars Season thirty four.
Speaker 2: We are a Wicked night.
Speaker 1: We're on to the final dance of the night, the final dance of the night, and it is Jordan Chiles and Ezra Sosa. We loved and Childs were really impressed by her. Her dedication dance last week with her father was so touching. The dance itself. I was not that impressed with she has stepped it up this week. Jordan Childs and azraos to dance to for Good. They danced a rumba to for Good from Wicked for Good in theaters November twenty first, and the footwork was, my god, it was so fast, so wickedly good. As Bruno said, the wickedly talented Jordan Childs and.
Speaker 2: Azra Sosa and it was. Gave it a ten.
Speaker 1: Bruno gave it a ten Carrie and said she did not want this sight to end. She called the She called Jordan and Ezra perfection. Also gave them a ten. Derek was not as oppressed. He gave him a nine, but this was another incredible dance. John im Chew gave them another almost straight tens for Jordan and Ezra, such incredible scores, putting them right at the top there with Whitney and Mark just one point behind them for the top of the leaderboard. Wow, what a set of dances. Everyone is just stepping up their games so much. This is so good. This is such a fun season to watch. But now we got to get into the final. Someone's going home. Someone's going home. They tricked us last week and no one went home, but this week someone is leaving.
Speaker 2: It's so sad.
Speaker 1: And I'm watching all the dancers up there on the stage and they're they're hugging their partners, and I'm just like, god, this is like people have to be eliminated. That is the show, that is the game. They have to go home. But ah, god, they're all so good. I'm sitting there and you know, I've got my scorecard and I'm like, oh, okay, well I really think like at first I thought it was gonna be a lane and I'm sorry, but like the older people, you know, it's they have an extra challenge. And I feel so bad about it, but like, it's kind of easy to think, like, Okay, well, I think it's probably between Elaine and Andy, but I really I'm like, oh, Jen affleck, I think she's going home tonight. I was so ready to say farewell to Jen and Yan. They get down, they start eliminating people. They start saying who's safe, and I saw Elaine get saved pretty early, which made me happy. But then this caught me so off guard. I was so shocked at this. Scott Hoying and Riley Arnold get eliminated, they get sent home.
Speaker 2: I thought they were fine.
Speaker 1: I think they were like fantastic, but I really thought this was the night Andy was going to go home. Andy is just the people's princess. He is the dark horse. Here we say farewell to Pentatonic Scott Hoying and Riley Arnold. A great job, but not quite enough to make it through next week.
Speaker 2: It's Halloween night.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's Halloween week and we're celebrating Halloween. Oh oh my god, I cannot wait. If someone better danced to the goddamn monster mash. I'd better see the monster mash out there. I'm so excited. And our special guest judge is two time nearball champion Cheryl Burke. Cheryl is another dear friend of ours at iHeart Podcast, We Love Cheryl Burke. I've known Cheryl Burke for many years. I'm so excited to see her at the judges table. That's going to be so fun and so spooky. And please, for the love of God give me my monster mash. I can't wait to see it. Thanks everybody for joining us on Misstepping. I hope you enjoyed that. I'm sorry this has been so tory less, but she will be back soon, I promise you.
Speaker 2: And for now, I'm going to misstep out of here. Bye bye,