Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to the program. It's our one on this Tuesday. The college football season has a period at the end of the sentence, it's over back to back national titles for the Big Ten. Wonder what SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey is thinking, because it used to be the SEC was the powerhouse. But once everybody got an opportunity to pay players and transfer portal, all of a sudden nil that changed things dramatically. Welcome to the program. Eight seven seven eight seven seven three DP.
Speaker 2: Shows everyone got the chance to pay eight seven seven three d P show Guy up, Yeah, h I own.
Speaker 1: Oh HDP oh age I owe a debta gratitude to the Big Ten. Uh the Ohio state is bad? Who cares about a loss of Michigan? You win the national championship. We will dissect that coming up and your phone calls always welcome each seven to seven to three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, the Talented Christopher mad Dog Russo a little bit later on Rick Neuheisel CBS Sports will stop by as well. Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls today. Seaton will have the poll question. The Minister of Humor is here, Marvin Paully. Backroom, guys, and yours truly, Notre Dame, that was a good year. If I would have said back in that weekend when they lost in Northern Illinois, they're going to play for national championship, you probably would have thought not this year. Ohio State beating Michigan. And if I would have said after that game, hey, don't worry, they're going to win the national title. After they lost to Michigan, they're going to win the national title. You have these moments. The question is how do you react after those moments? After those games. Notre Dame reacted and won and continue to win. And Marcus Freeman IS's star in the sport. Ryan Day, the embattled Ryan Day. You lose to Michigan again, if you don't have a twelve team playoff, you may not have Ryan Day winning a national championship this year. In fact, you probably don't. But this is college football. Now. Who knows what it's going to be like next year or in five years from now. But give credit to Ohio State because they were the better team. Last night when it was thirty one seven, I kept thinking, all right, Ohio State, just maybe another field goal so I can go to bed. And then all of a sudden, here comes Notre Day, and then here comes Notre Day, and then all of a sudden, I'm going, what's the point spread? Eight and a half? Oh my goodness. Now I'm watching, and I thought, if they don't get that third and nine when they throw it to Jeremiah Smith, Now all of a sudden, you got some people going, all right, there's a lot of money the cover of the year. When you think about it, it's thirty one to seven, and you're going, I'm good. I all these Ohio State fans they laid the eight and a half. They're like, this is going to be a blowout halftime high five in each other. Yeah, hey, I got your beers. Marcus Freeman comes out second half, Notre name head coach. He looked like he had just been in the washing machine and was like what just happened? And then they got a couple of plays made it interesting, and Ohio State did what they needed to do with a crucial you know, I mean, going for it third and nine. Here's Ryan day with that call on the completion of Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 3: We felt like we had an advantage with Jeremiah on that shot. And you know, we talked about it all week, really hadn't thrown one all game, and it was like, you know what game in a line, you know, let's go, Let's just be aggressive. And I just thought to myself, you know, you only even won National championsh I get one opportunity, you know, a year to do this. Let's just lay it on the line and put it out there and be aggressive. And that's what we did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, third and long, and they were aggressive. Notre Dame would have gotten the ball back, they'd have had about two minutes to go. Maybe maybe we could have had a dramatic finish. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. First hour of the program brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie for The Dan Patrick Show. Instant Pushed to Talk, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever, perfect for instant contact with your friends and you can go to Rapid radios dot com. Sixty percent off and free shipping all right. See poll question for hour one is going to.
Speaker 2: Be Okay, well, we've got one from here from Marvin. We've got a bunch from Todd All has checked in. Where would you like to start?
Speaker 1: Dan, I'm going to go Marvin because it's rare when Marvin offers up something. Poll question wise.
Speaker 2: If you're an Ohio State fan, you'd rather lose to Michigan but win a national title or beat Michigan and lose in the college football playoffs.
Speaker 1: I think this is crazy that there are fans it's so important to beat Michigan. That has been your identity, and yeah, we won a national title, but you need to beat Michigan. If you said to Ohio State fans, you're going to lose again to Michigan next year, but you're going to play for the national championship. You have to play for a national championship.
Speaker 2: You would think you would, you would think.
Speaker 1: But you know fan bases, the old school fan base how important it was. Because it used to be if you lost that game, you weren't playing for a national championship. That was the importance of it. Now with the twelve team playoff, fourteen team playoffs, sixteen team playoff, Okay, you lose bragging rights there, but man, that national title that'll cure everything. That's the greater a national title. I have an idea.
Speaker 4: I'm to present it to you specifically because you know Ohio State in the history. Today is the day to start de emphasizing the Michigan game going forward. Step you are the national title holders. You're on full scholarship. Now going forward, you've got the big payroll. Start using the word Michigan when you talk about them. Don't say the team up north. Start saying Michigan like you would say Ohio State, like you'd say Purdue or Iowa Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Treat them all the same. But why can't you have both? Why can't this still mean so much? But the national title is more important than that.
Speaker 4: Because, like we've been saying, it's meaning a little too much the past decade, Start de emphasizing it and making another game.
Speaker 1: Beat them.
Speaker 4: You're going to beat them or not either way, but start saying Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, step.
Speaker 1: One, Ye won't happen. Not the team up north, not gonna happen. Just not not. Don't fight it. I know, just saying, hey, I'm not one of those that would go, boy, I'd rather beat Michigan and than win a national title. That's silly.
Speaker 4: I want to follow up on that. Okay, there's no one who really believes that. That's more of a perception of the national media about Ohio State fans. Maybe maybe because I can't imagine an Ohio State fan today going, you know what, if I could have a duo over this year, I would wax Michigan and take it on the chin and Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, But like Michigan fans are somehow taking a little bit of a victory lap too, being like, yeah, but we beat the national chair, so I guess we really are, like, which is absurd. That's I get how tongue in cheek that is too. But these two fan bases are that crazy that somehow they find a way to take losses and make them wins depending on those circuits.
Speaker 1: Oh, if I'm Michigan, I'm taking a victory lap. Oh heck yass. You know you had a bad season, couldn't find a quarterback first year without Jim Harball, and you beat Ohio State at Ohio State. And this was brought up to me by a former Ohio State player last night, and he said, you know what changed when Michigan tried to plant the flag? He said, that changed this football team. All of a sudden, they in their minds became us against the world, and they were underdogs somehow. And I said, okay, I mean, I'll factor that in that all of a sudden, Jack Sawyer's grabbing the Michigan flag and throwing it away, and now, all of a sudden, there's a different purpose with Ohio State. Sure, okay, I mean if you feel that that was a seismic shift with his team, they became a little bit more I don't know together, but there's so much talent there. That's why, you know, when we look at Ohio State, it's hard to say that they were an underdog. I mean they're incredible. You know, you poached guys from around the country. You spent over twenty million. I mean, you should be great. The fact that you couldn't come up with an offense against Michigan, that was what was mind boggling here. I know you lose to Oregon, but that was a close game at Oregon. This was a great team, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: So last night Ohio State was David not in order dame. Yeah, okay, no, just making sure. Yeah, well David got knocked down. David didn't have a slingshot, and then all of a sudden, David had a shotgun. And then you're like, here comes David, and David's going to put some heat on Ohio State.
Speaker 1: But Ohio State was a better team. Can't imagine that somebody's gone, eh, but we better beat Michigan next year. I don't know if there's pressure on Ryan Day. And once again, I grew up in this environment. I grew up in Ohio. I understand that feeling when Michigan would beat Ohio State and ruin your college football season. But I can't imagine somebody like, next year, if Ohio State doesn't beat Michigan, that Ryan Day is all of a sudden going to be on the hot seat again. Are we reheating Ryan Day? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, How in the world can that even be a conversation today?
Speaker 1: I trust me, we get to next season, and if that happens, then we will be discussing that. People will discuss that about Ryan deck Rick new Heizel a little bit later on, and I got a couple of questions for him, and have great respect for Rick one of the smartest college football guys. I know I'm watching Jeremiah Smith and he's a freshman. If I said, let's say the Patriots, you can have Travis Hunter or Jeremiah Smith. Who would you take with that second pick overall? Is that what it is? Who would you take because you got a two way star? Or you have this guy who's great. So we'll talk to new Heiseel. Also, who is more likely to go to the NFL first, Ryan Day or Marcus Freeman. How about that Patriots have the fourth pick here. But so we'll talk to Rick new Heuizel a little bit later on.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was thinking about nil and Jeremiah Smith as a freshman. What is his retention fee to stay at Ohio State?
Speaker 1: But if you're Georgia oh like you, you at least have to You won a national title at Ohio State, So they can't be that mad. If you say, you know what, I got to do something for my family now I'm a freshman. If you say that, I would, I mean, I'd at least kicked the tires on it. Just say how much am I worth? How much my worth?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 1: I mean, is he worth?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 1: A quarterback's worth. I'd say, yes, my surprise is in the previous but my surprise is against Texas. I think he had three targets. I mean that to me is criminal. I would I'd get him the ball no matter what. Like there's certain players where you go, I'm gonna devise things to get you the ball. You have Chip Kelly devise something, and that's what amazed me. Ill will use him as a decoy. N let's just use him as the best player on the field. They went to him last night, I still would have gone to him more. Notre Dame plays man coverage. I would have gone to him, and I would have kept going to him until they put two guys on him, and then I'd take advantage elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, I know all's well in Ohio state Land today. But let's say Jeremiah Smith doesn't catch that ball or they target someone else. Notredame gets the ball back and sends us to overtime. I know it's unlikely, but the math was there that Notre Dame can win that Jeremi Smith had one second half target.
Speaker 1: I don't get that.
Speaker 4: I was sitting there thinking about the downside, and I was like, if Ohio State loses this game, it's gonna be catastrophe. If their star player had one or fewer targets in the second half.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't understand it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a lot of smarter people than me that could tell me. But I have to get him the ball, have to like remarkable though, I mean, when they did go to him, he made the great catch and you know his band coverage all right, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Sorry, one more thing?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is it too early to play the career salary game with Jeremi Smith?
Speaker 1: He should changed the s and put a dollars sign it. Yeah, what's he worth? Ten million dollars? Is that fair?
Speaker 9: I ain't.
Speaker 1: Quarterbacks get six seven million dollars. There's nobody like him in the country. I don't. I'm sure Ohio State fans hate hearing about what if you're Michigan? What if you're Michigan and you go, hey, how much we got in the collective?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 1: Can you call Larry Ellison again? You know, one of the five richest people in the world and a booster there notre name where his wife went to Michigan. Hey, Larry, we need ten million dollars? Which four h Jeremiah Smith? Oh yeah, okay, yes, Pully.
Speaker 4: I have on three dot com their NIL valuations and they're very spot on. Arch Manning is number one, Carson Beck number two. Jeremi Smith, the wide receiver is number three. His NIL valuation is four to five million dollars. He's the only non quarterback in the top twelve. Yeah, well what's he worth?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: All right? Eight seven seven three DP show. We'll get to other possible pull questions. Yes, Tom, what would be.
Speaker 11: A reasonable number to leave one school for your arch rivals where you can feel comfortable with that and not get destroyed if you care about your social following, what people think of you.
Speaker 1: I would not go to Michigan. I'd go south. And he's from Florida. I'd go south.
Speaker 8: Well, Michigan give you like three four million dollars more? Is that enough? And you're not getting that money anywhere else?
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, I'd think somebody's gonna match the offer, But I would I'd be curious what is it costing Ohio State to keep him? And does anybody reach out to him or one of his middleman or agents or whatever. All right, we'll take a break, just getting started, phone calls and base all fired up today we'll get to phone calls coming up. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeart art Radio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 12: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 10: Most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Ohio State is the third two loss national champion since nineteen thirty six, LSU in two thousand and seven and Minnesota back in nineteen sixty. You know, Minnesota used to be a powerhouse, like a serious powerhouse. I think they won two or three national championships in a row, but a long long time ago. But you don't think about Minnesota and go boy, Now that's a great football team. Minnesota won national titles in nineteen forty and nineteen forty one. Ohio State won in nineteen forty two, and then you had Minnesota in nineteen sixty. You wouldn't expect Minnesota having a couple of national championships. All right, we got to settle on a poll question. Marvin already offered up, what was your poll question suggestion?
Speaker 8: Would you rather have Michigan if you're Ohio State?
Speaker 13: Game?
Speaker 5: Okay, would have would you rather lose to Michigan win a national title or vice versa?
Speaker 1: Matt in Ohio, Hi Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Good morning Dan, how you guys doing today?
Speaker 14: Great?
Speaker 15: Great, great, awesome, great city Alima, Ohio from so we are on the map a little bit between ann Arbor, Michigan and Columbus, so we get a little bit of everything.
Speaker 6: As far as Michigan fans, a high State fans, Notre Dame fan.
Speaker 15: To answer Marvin's poll question, the Michigan game to me, and as it's starting to lose a little bit of relevance, it can still be a great game. But the people that are waking up this morning and trying to tell me, and I've heard all morning long, that it's still a staying national championship because you come and beat Michigan.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. I don't get it. I don't understand where that's coming from, but I do in a way. But I always say regular season games are like the JV game. You can win that all you want, But nobody came on a Friday night in high schools them to watch the JV game. They watched the varsity game. That's what the national championship was last night.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Matt. By the way, whenever I think of Lima, Ohio, I think of the Thomas Crown Affair, because in the movie in the beginning, they pronounced it Lima, Ohio and it bothered me the entire movie. And that's saying a lot because Renee Russo was topless at one point in the movie. I'm still thinking about Lima or Lima, Ohio. So the Thomas Crown Affair that Pierce Brosnan was in that with Renee Russo. But they say, oh, Lima, Ohio, and I go, oh no, no, no, no, It'slima Jamie in Ohio. Hi, Jamie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Good morning? Actually it's Jamie like.
Speaker 1: In in the middle, not Janie's got a gun.
Speaker 16: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Good morning, long, long, long time listener, first time caller. I am bleeding Scarlet and Gray. I live in Columbus, Ohio, alumni of Ohio State. But I gotta tell you, Dan, I'm a little bit sad this morning, and I'm kind of mad about it. I feel that somehow there's this huge narrative of like the high State Buckeyes one. But their fans are so stupid and like being a fan Lifelky, I've had a heartbreak after heartbreak after heartbreak, and it was so wonderful to win, but I kept hearing this stuff that you guys are even saying, which is like, you know, they'd rather beat Michigan, you know, and it looks like they're idiots. So a bunch of idiots, and I think it is such a small, tiny voice that the national media likes to take as a narrative because it makes a good story.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that those people are idiots. They're they're delusional that they get caught up in something. It's a myopic view of your season. It's about Michigan. It used to be about Michigan. And I'm not saying this about you, Jane, but it used to be that was your identity. Did you beat Michigan. That's not your identity anymore because we do have a twelve team playoff and therefore that's why they won a national championship. If you didn't have it and it was just the top two teams or maybe the top four, then you're going to keep that as your identity of beating Michigan. But that's not the case anymore.
Speaker 16: I think that's exactly right, and I think that will probably play out as this new era comes in. You're right, for so many years. I'm sixty years old, so I remember so much the seventies and eighties, where really you had to beat Michigan to do anything, and honestly, there weren't national championship. It was just going to the Rose Bowl. So you had to make those things that we don't have to do it anymore. But I think it'll still be a rival a rivalry, but I think people make it what it has to be. And when that's all you had, that was live or die with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, after you lost to Michigan, what did you think was going to happen to Ryan Day?
Speaker 16: Gosh? I was I don't know. I really hated it, frankly because I'm a very sensitive High Estate fan and I don't like when fans go against each other, So it was I felt like it was very difficulve here where some people, and I think it was out of pain and frustration and knowing how good this team was and just thinking that for whatever reason, Ryan Day's a good coach he's a good guy, but he cannot beat Michigan. And I think right after that game that was what was bubbling up.
Speaker 1: But Jane, you know what's going to happen next year? If Michigan beached Ohio State. How are fans going to react to that?
Speaker 16: Exactly? Yeah, well, and it's yes, you're exactly right. And ohisates beat Michigan a lot in the last twenty years, and sometimes I think younger people forget. I mean, I went through all the Cooper years when we couldn't beat Michigan. So I think you get used to something that you've had, and then when you see it not happen, you think, oh my god, you know what is this? The earth is ending? But it's kind of how rivalries go.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that we have have that rivalry, and Janey, congratulations, thanks for the phone call. I'm we don't have many rivalries. I like that it means something. Now, does it mean a little too much to some people? Yes, But I do think this is the minority fan base that it might mean more too than somehow winning a national championship. I don't think you can pay you know, the entire fan base that way. It's weird. It should be joy, should be celebrating. And so what if Michigan beat you? I mean you got the ultimate scoreboard, you won the national championship. Marcus Freeman was talking about being aggressive when Ohio State had third and long late in the game and if they somehow stop them, they got a chance to maybe you know, score touchdown and get a two point conversion tie this game. But Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame coach, talked about blitzing on that critical third downplay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we it was do it. It was that type of down and you know if they run it, you know, when they get a first down, you're gonna we got to get them stopped. And we thought at that moment the best way to get them stopped is to run zero pressure. And we have to have faith at some point that we can make a play. And there was times in a second half that we did in man coverage. But you know, he's a heck of a player. He's difficult to cover. You want to play his own and they'll find ways to pick your part. You want to play man. You know, they find ways to get him the ball. And so it's a talented offense. But that's that situation right there.
Speaker 1: Judkins was wonderful. Could have given him MVP. He was he was great, He was great. But that's a talented team, a really really talented team. It's one of those where you see the end result and you go, how did they lose? How were they shut down at home against Michigan. Now Michigan is always great defensively, but it felt like Ohio State outsmarted Ohio State going into that game or in that game. And then the Oregon game Cross Country Oregon. You know, that was great. It was great to see Oregon winning that game, and it kind of set up the entire season of how good is Oregon and how good is Ohio State. But we're starting to see that you're going to have more of these where teams get picked off because you know, the talent is spread around the country. It's not just loaded up with a couple of schools. I mean, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, maybe USC maybe Penn State, Clemson maybe, like you're it's kind of the same. But then you're going to get a couple of outliers there Arizona State, who would have thought Boise State. Who would have thought. That's the fun part of this as we move forward, and I do think it's not going to be a surprise to have a team that has two losses that wins the national championship again because it's a longer season, more games, playoff games, and I just think I think that's what the new norm of college football is going to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, and a team like Ohio State can win a national title with a good twenty three year old quarterback. Maybe not a five star recruit, which Will Howard wasn't, but a guy who just played like forty games for Kansas State comes in and plays good football with tons of talent around.
Speaker 1: Him, and he played well. But he's not a big time recruit. I mean he's at Kansas State.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I watched him at Kansas State, but I have no life, and I'm usually watching, you know, those kind of games, and I knew he had athleticist Riley Leonard was great. It was a lot of fun. Notre Dame got their money's worth. You got him from Duke. So once again, you're not getting these guys from traditional powerhouses, but sometimes that's all you need. And you're seeing a school like Notre Dame take transfer portal people, and you know they had you know what, eight starters who transferred in I think Sam Hartman a couple of years ago. I mean, that's what's happening now with college football. And I would take a twenty two or twenty three year old quarterback over an eighteen year old quarterback. Yes, I want to have somebody there for four years, but at that position in that sport, I got to have somebody who's been through their battle tested. A couple of phone calls, let's see Dan in Pennsylvania. Hi, Dan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: Hey DP, I'm calling in because I owe Fritzy my last pie to the faith and our multiple pie to the face bet, so quick recap since the twenty twenty two season. I bet that Notre Dame would win a national championship in football in the next three seasons, and for every year that they don't win, I take a pie to the face. So this is the final year of the bet, and I need to know what pie to take. Also, I'm trying to work on something special for you so you can be a little bit patient with me. I'm trying to create the video and submit I might be able to pull something off that's fun for.
Speaker 18: All of us.
Speaker 1: All right, Todd, what pie should Dan take to the face.
Speaker 8: I'm going to say a slightly warm blueberry pie.
Speaker 1: Slightly warm blueberry, not with his scalding right out of the oven.
Speaker 11: No, don't at anybody to be getting third degree burns after being rushed to the hospital. But slightly warm blueberry cherry would be my set.
Speaker 1: But like second degree burns, you're okay with that? Yes, yeah, something that.
Speaker 8: Looks like something happened to your face, but nothing dreadful.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes, that does bring back memories of when Todd and I baked the blueberry pie at three fifty for twenty five minutes, and then Todd was going to take it out with his bare hands, Oh my goodness, and he was no joke about to grab a tin with his bare hands.
Speaker 8: Paly saved me. I was gonna have to be rushed like some kind of local medical.
Speaker 1: No, you would have. You, you would have burned your hand. You would have. You've never used an ovenmit, and and you we now we think you're joking when you open up the oven and you're getting ready like, oh, look at look at Todd he's crazy. And then all of a sudden, I go, oh my god.
Speaker 8: We're stupid. Flash very excited about jumping into that dessert. I guess.
Speaker 1: Chris in Sacramento, Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 19: Thank you for taking my call. Sorry about yesterday. I apologize. But here's my dilemma. I want to bet. I'm a diehard Eagle fan, and I want to bet James of Virginia. I'll give him the points. He could either bet me upie of the face, a shower shame, or a will of punishment.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, all right, well maybe Tyler can reach out to James in Virginia. We'll see if so. You'll take You're going to give him the points. I think it's six points now with the Eagles, all right, Chris, We'll see what we can do with James in Virginia. James in Virginia is he is sky high man? Sky High got another baby do in August? His commanders like, when you like, you're growing with somebody, You're you're walking with somebody, and you know, go back to when he would call, when he first started calling, he would just say, hail the commanders, and they weren't any good and every year, like every week, he would call hail to the commanders and just to see that they're there in the NFC title game. That's awesome. I was talking to a friend of mine and yesterday and we were talking about the window of opportunity because he knows that I've talked about the Niners. I don't know what that window of opportunity is now and here we have the Detroit Liones. Now I look at the lines differently than I do the forty nine ers. The forty nine ers spend a lot of money, and you're going to spend a lot of money on your quarterback. The Rams are going to be there, you know, if Stafford comes back, you know, I think the Rams would be the favorites in the NFC West. So you're looking at window of opportunity Detroit. Now, Ben Johnson's going to the Bears. I think it's a great hire for Caleb Williams and the Bears. I don't know if he's a head coach, but I do like that they got him and they spent money to get him, and they normally don't do those things. If you're not getting him, you're getting Pete Carroll. Maybe Pete Carroll may now go to the Raiders. Aaron Glenn looks like he would be going to the Jets. I don't know who goes to the Saints the Jags. I think Mike McCarthy's going to get a job, and I don't know if it's the Saints of the Jags. But so you know, now, all of a sudden, we're starting to see movement here. You still have four teams left. I don't know if anybody from these staffs will get an opportunity to come in an interview, but the window of opportunity with Detroit, you're losing your two coordinators. You still have all of your talent, young talent wrapped up with contracts here. So that's different than what the forty nine ers future is. Detroit still has a bright future now that may only be one or two more years. San Francisco, I think that window of opportunity closed now all of a sudden, I'm spending fifty to fifty five sixty million dollars on my quarterback, Christian McCaffrey. What's his future? Deebo Samuel, what's his future? Trent Williams, what's his futu. I mean you start to look and you go, they're going to be losing some parts here. And Fred Warner, how long can he stay at an elite level? I mean, there's a lot of questions here, but that's how quickly it changes. Andrew and Washington, Hi, Andrew, welcome.
Speaker 6: Back, Hey, thanks to taking my call.
Speaker 14: Good morning, Dan Danet. I just had a real quick thing on Will Howard. But real quick. You're an Elvis band. I don't know if you caught the Netflix documentary Kings of Tupelo has to do with Elvis impersonators, has to do with national security. Of course, some crazy Southern storyline, So I just wanted to put that out there. But I was just really impressed with how Will Howard turned his season around after that Michigan loss. You know, he had two interceptions. He was nineteen and thirty three in that Michigan loss, and then during the College Football playoff he threw at a seventy five percent clip and the average two hundred and eighty seven and a half yards and he had eight touchdowns two interceptions. So although he wasn't a great recruit, it just shows like you were saying, how much the transfer portal can help you out. But if you have time, I also have the stant of the day. If I could have a little bit of music, the.
Speaker 16: Dime Die Die.
Speaker 14: The Boston Celtics went to Golden State and achieved the win that hadn't been done in over forty years. The Celtics beat the Warriors one twenty five eighty five, handing them their first home loss by forty or more points since January fifteenth, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 12: The Dime Di.
Speaker 1: Nat of the Day brought to you by a Panini America. I turned on that game and I think they were down forty and I'm like, oh, it's Martin Luther King Day. They started the game earlier, and I'm going, wait, this is at Golden State. Oh my god. Steph Curry had a dowel over his head. I was thinking, damn, they better make a deal. They better do something, because you're you're starting to see what the artist formerly known as the Golden State Warriors. We'll take a break, play the Day up next. Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 19: Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Of the Day letter, what's.
Speaker 11: Like got it?
Speaker 1: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Howard out of the shotgun back to pass at his own twenty five. You've gotten that deep down the right.
Speaker 7: Side, and it has caught back Jerlina Smith at the thirty Notre Dame.
Speaker 20: He's taken to the fighting Irish ten yard line by cornerback Christian Gray Howard.
Speaker 1: The Smith getting the buck eye? Is it a giant eagle red zone? That's courtesy of lear Field Sports. The fifty six yard catch was Smith's only target of the second half. He ended with five catches for eighty eight yards in a touchdown. That's your play of the day. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they're bringing your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco seat and update the poll results if you can.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'd be happy to We got Marvin's up there for the first hour. If you're an Ohio State fan, you'd rather lose to Michigan but win a national title, or beat Michigan and lose in the college football playoffs, right now I'm happy to report seventy eight percent of the people who voted in that would rather lose to Michigan but win the national title.
Speaker 1: I'm proudy. What's with the twenty two percent? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: God, we have no way to verify if the twenty two percent are actually Ohio State fans?
Speaker 1: John in La, Hi, John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 18: How you guys doing good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 21: Hey?
Speaker 18: I just wanted to say, and I'm a USA guy, I'm not either ohiose there or Michigan. But I do feel that if Ohio State had beat Michigan, they don't win a national title. They improved by far as a team not playing for themselves, but as a team by losing Commichigon. If you look at if you watch the games after, they were a whole different team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had a former Ohio State player who said the same thing. It changed after Michigan tried to plant the flag, and it's almost as if they were You take talent for granted sometimes like can we're going to win, We're supposed to win, We're the most talented team of the country, and then all of a sudden you get humbled. Then you react two different ways, and we saw that just like when Notre Dame loses had home to Northern Illinois and you're thinking, oh my goodness, well we saw what happened after that. They went on a run. John in Pennsylvania, Hi, John, what's on your mind today? Good morning, Dan?
Speaker 20: I got a good college trivia question for you and the boys. All right, There's only ever been two coaches in the history of college football to have competed in and won all five of the major bowl games, that being the Orange Row, Sugar Fiesta and Cotton.
Speaker 1: Joe Paterno, very good, Bob Stoops.
Speaker 13: Oh excellent, excellent, Dan, you got them both both correct. All right. Your last show, John Fogerty doing center field because that's what you are in your in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: All right. I'd love to have John Fogerty on again. Zach and Grand Rapids. Hi, Zach, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 21: How's it going?
Speaker 16: Dan?
Speaker 21: Everyday listener just wanted to talk about the Michigan Ohio state poll question. First of all, I want to start off by saying that I got swirling emotions right now because I'm a Detroit Lions fan and feeling a lot of resentment right now. So it was tough last night to watch that Ohio State Notre Dame game because it was like which needy to cut off, you know. But the only thing that kept me going through it was hoping that I'd get to see Lou Holtz lap in his recliner's hair at Ryan Day when he lost. But to go back to Jane's comments, I don't understand how she doesn't understand the narratives of Ohio State fans. I mean, this goes back deep. I feel like Ohio State fans are hated, not just by Michigan fans, And there's a deep resentment for Ryan Day because the COVID year, he said he was going to put up one hundred against us, you know, and has it won.
Speaker 8: Sense.
Speaker 21: I love the hardball comment that he was born on third base. But as a Michigan fan, you know, they get the top recruits every year, they you know, dump nil money into their program, which is the trending thing to do. But they still come up short against Michigan at least for the last four years. And I me, as a Michigan fan, thinks it's going to be longer. But we're still their daddy.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you, Zach. Take a victory lamp. If you're a Michigan fan, sure, I mean not a big victory lap. If you're a Lions fan, but you know you beat Ohio State, go ahead, beget a victory lamp. Doug in North Carolina, Hi, Doug, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm one of the twenty two percent, then, and I take I take as my guide exhibit A the famous words of one Woody Hayes, who is rolling over as grave at how related the folks from Ohio are today. He famously said, you can't claim a national championship unless you win the game. The only thing that matters is how many times he beat Michigan. That's what he hates. It's the game. And yes there's an asterisk, and yes you had a wonderful season, and yes you did what Listen, you can go to prom and your day can look beautiful. But if it's not Jenny batch it doesn't matter. That's my opinion. There's an asterisk next to the national Championship.
Speaker 1: And Jane's Jenny Batchie, Jenny Batchie, get that correct, there, dog, Thank you for your phone call. Part of the twenty two percent. That would rather beat Michigan than win a national championship. It's crazy, crazy, yeah, Paulin.
Speaker 4: There's no asterisk, but I could see how an Ohio STA State fan would be bummed that Michigan can talk during the offseason. Weirdly, it's it's like, I'll rock in your shoe when everything's going well. I would be okay with it, yes, okay, but I wish it didn't have to beat. If I were in an Ohio State fan, oh my god, not a big deal.
Speaker 1: I can't be that insecure that I'm gonna go well, yeah, you're right. You guys did beat us. I'd be like, oh, you know, I want to watch that national title game again. What do you guys?
Speaker 14: Were you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's why you played Alabama in a bowl game, right, Christopher mad Dog Russo joining US Hour two Dan Patrick Show